New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Vana'diel: The Final Fantasy (Bastok)

Music Selection: Gustaberg

The Fumaroles mark the entrance to the Dangruf Wadi. As you approach, it seems that the geysers are indeed very active, as steam spews forth from the rocks even as you enter the area. Though for whatever reason the nearby sea doesn't bring much humidity to the air in the Gustaberg region, this area is very humid and the rock here is very wet and worn down as a result of the active geysers. None of the geysers seem to be shooting with a very large amount of force, though the water is quite hot.

A few lizards grow as you pass by, but anytime you approach one it scampers away. Finally, the meeting of the south and west walls into a narrow passage comes into view, marking the entrance to the area known as the Dangruf Wadi. The closer you get to the entrance, the more moisture becomes apparent--there are even shallow pools of water here and there, filling small depressions in the earth (perhaps collapsed, inactive geysers).

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Khoula brings out the device and says, "If no one has any objections, I will carry this and keep an eye on it."

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

Saressa

"Fine by me," Saressa comments, slowing drawing her main-hand blade, and keeping a wary eye out for danger.

Spoiler
    Show
    spot - (1d20+3)[20]
    Eye of War Meta-Knight avatar by myself.
    PbP games I'm in.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Tageru waves a hand. "I have no idea what that thingy does, so I'll leave it in your hopefully capable hands."
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

Petal

"Wait, wait; do You," Petal indicates Khoula "Know how it works? You only said something about the light changing colors..."

Petal's ears flit about her head and disdainfully sniffs at the sight of the water. 'S probably too late to ask, come to think..."
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

6. - Top - End - #126

The entrance to the Wadi appears clear. The sun is beginning its decent, but it will be a little while before nightfall.

Approaching the narrow passage, you can see on the other side is a wide-open section of the wadi that splits to the north, north-east, and east. The ground is damp stone, and there are more geysers inside, as well as small cliffs, scattered vegetation, and what appear to be lizard droppings.

7. - Top - End - #127

In response to Petal's query, Khoula shrugs. "I honestly know all you know about this device. However, as long as this light is blinking," here, he pauses to indicate the (hopefully still blinking) light on the device, "we'll be fine. Our task, in a nutshell, is to walk around until it blinks a different color. I see little need for familiarity with its function."

8. - Top - End - #128

The light is still behaving normally. As of yet, there is no change in the condition of the device, as the light is still white and blinking, indicating that no geological irregularity in the immediate area.
    Last edited by Nu; 2008-01-23 at 07:30 AM.

9. - Top - End - #129

The immediate area is vacant of anything interesting; the area is just large and open. The entire area is open-air, and the passages are more or less just created by thick natural stone formations that create "walls."

The the north is a narrower passage that leads slightly upward and seems to grow damper as it slopes upward steadily. You can't see too far down the passage from here, but it appears that there is some sort of turn just ahead that leads to a steeper north.

To the northeast is a passage that is both wider and steadier. It appears to open to another area in the distance, though you can't see much from here aside from some steam. There are probably more geysers in that direction. The path also slopes upward, but a bit more gradually than the north passage.

To the east is another narrow passage that seems to slope slightly downward and is thicker with vegetation. The plants are dark and apparently well-adapted to the steamy environment. About 20~25 feet down that passage is a sudden drop off, though you can't tell how steep the drop is from here.

10. - Top - End - #130

Khoula places a hand on his chin. He frowns as he says, "I've no idea which path would lead us to our goal. I'm not even clear on what a 'geothermal irregularity' implies." He turns to his allies and says, "Have you a preference on which way we go?"

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Petal

Looking between the trio of pathways (and, for some reason, back the way they came) the capricious mithra raises her right hand. Omitting the north path entirely she looks between the remaining two and points to the east after another moment's hesitation, her expression still slightly sleepy (or indifferent).
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

"East it is then," Saressa nods, Let's go."

And with that, she begins to walk (carefully) down the passage.
    Eye of War Meta-Knight avatar by myself.
    PbP games I'm in.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #133

Khoula shrugs. "'Tis as good as any, I suppose." He too begins walking to the east.

14. - Top - End - #134

Once in the eastern passageway, you find that the drop-off is less than ten feet. There would be no danger in simply jumping down. The air seems a bit cooler here, though the air is still fairly thick with moisture. Just ahead of the drop-off is an opening to a larger area, with medium-size rocks and thin pillars strewn about the area. The rocks are large enough for creatures of medium size or smaller to hide behind, and there are three of them within 100 or so feet of the entrance. The pillars are too thin to conceal anything, and most are less than ten feet tall. The walls and corners of this area have thick clusters of plants, and in the distance, it looks like there might be a lizard's nest in one of the far corners. The angle of your approach keeps you from seeing the near corners until you actually enter the area.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Tageru follows along beside his sister, arms behind his head. He doesn't have anything to contribute; he's not entirely sure what they're here to do, and he doesn't particularly want to make that obvious.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

16. - Top - End - #136

Khoula keeps the device out, occasionally checking it as he moves forward into the area. Seeing a possible lizard next nearby has him on guard, and he proceeds forward slowly.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

Petal

"Hmm. Suspicious...."

Upon viewing the premises, Petal looks around for a decent size stone that can fit in her palm, and while still on the ledge, she rears back and hurls it into the cavern, not particularly aiming for the nest or even a target. As the stone flies she perks an ear up to listen for any potential stirrings.

Spot and listen (1d20+3=13, 1d20+3=10)
    Last edited by tonberryking; 2008-02-06 at 10:03 AM.

18. - Top - End - #138

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you say something else here, disregard it.

Entering into this open area, you find that it is about one hundred and thirty feet accross west-to-east, and about eighty feet wide north-to-south. There are four large stones, three to the south of the entrance about evenly spaced out accross to the east exit, and one to the north far back near the exit.

Speaking of the exit, it is another narrow opening into another passage about fifteen feet wide, just like the one you came out of, situated to the far east of this stretch of land. Wedged into the southwest corner about thirty feet away from the exit is a lizard nest, and there is a lizard there. Though it seems to have noticed you, it is minding its own business for now.

The near corners are clear, though some plants have clustered into the corners and are running up some of the cliff-sides for whatever reason. The scattered stone pillars make a straight-up run through this area pretty much impossible.

19. - Top - End - #139

((Sorry, I had completely forgotten about this; I thought I had replied earlier.))

"Let us avoid the lizard nest for now, I think... No need to stir them up." Assuming the light on the device hasn't changed and there is no protest from the rest of the group, Khoula will return the way they came, suggesting the northeast trail when they return to the crossroads.
    Last edited by Proven_Paradox; 2008-02-13 at 08:45 PM.