New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 47 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Banned

Default Re: The Scarlet Shadow IC

"Wait, lemme explain!" The bandana-bandit stands up, and starts to walk towards you, in a wary fashion because he is not so sure that you won't attack him.
    The other one removes his wig (revealing that his hair is black as well, tied in a short ponytail - these two resemble each other very, very slightly, actually), and sighs again.
    "Knew it was a bad idea. All the effort for nothin', and why I had t' be the damsel in distress, huh?"

"Cause I'm older so you do what I tell ya, yeah! And the plan's brilliant, jus' gotta ignore merchants an' other small time travellers an' focus on armed adventurers. I know 'em types - there are two kinds of them. Those that don' give a damn, they pass by no harm done, yeah. An' those that do, they pay us up, yeah!"
    "You forgot the third type, huh. Ones who point an' laugh."

These two are so busy arguing with each other that the bandana-wearing bandit takes a step forward too far - a net falls down from the trees, covering him! That invoked another sigh from the crossdressing one.
    "Least I set up the trap good, huh..."
    "It's all their fault, stupid villagers, yeah. Now help me get outta here!"
    The dress-clad robber tries to lift the net up from the other one, who throws himself wildly, not helping with the task.

"Might this be... some kind of a traveling performance?" Iskira looks very befuddled by the whole situation.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Banned

Double post. Grarh.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2007-12-08 at 11:33 AM.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ettin in the Playground

Insar

"These guys are pathetic. Let's go. They arn't a danger to anyone but themselves." Insar looks extremely annoyed at the interuption in their travels.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Banned

(Slow moving this weekend. Nevermind though.)

"Wait! I got a great idea, yeah!" Seeing that you are preparing to leave, the captured brigand yells desperately.

"I see you're special people, yeah! Heroes, I bet! So..."

You can already hear the words "Let me accompany you as a servant" form in his mouth. The other one does not say anything, still trying to free his net-entrapped companion, but he sighs audibly and puts a hand on his forehead in an expression of exasperation.

"If you were t' give us jus' a little coin and when anyone asks, tell 'em we robbed ya, that'd be great, yeah! Or maybe even just tell 'em that, even without t' money..." He does sound hopeful, you have to admit.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

Kadree sighs deeply. These guys probably won't stop until they end with something... "Tell us one good reason why should we do that? And what exactly do you mean by this all being the "stupid villagers' " fault?" She knows she's going to regret asking that question, but hey - these two are so inept it's almost sympathetic.

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat

6. - Top - End - #336
    Banned

"'Cause that way..." The robber's words are interrupted by his struggling with the net. "These damn villagepeople'll think we're great bandits 'ere! And that'll show 'em, yeah!"

He finally breaks free, and rises his hand to the air in a glorious pose... if it took so little time for HIM to release himself from the net, it probably wouldn't stop you for longer than a second.

"Them peasants mistreated us fer no faults o' our own, made us leave! So when we return in glory an' enough cash to buy an' sell 'em three times straight, they'll know better, yeah!"
    "Course, we got kinda more important things to worry 'bout now, like not starvin', huh..." The other brigand chimes in, his comment ignored.

"An' why they treat us badly, that's cause..." The bandana-wearing one hesitates for a second. "Really sorry, can't tell ya! If ya know our motivations, dunno if you're gonna butt into t' situation or no, but fer sure it puts us in danger, yeah! I know 'em stories - once a guy tells 'em shinin' armor heroes his lifetime story an' it's very movin', just like mine, he's good as dead, yeah! Goin' down very soon..."

"'Scuse me brother. He was born dumb." The second bandit (apparently they are brothers) shakes his head as he tries to wrap the net up into something carryable.

Unless you will stop them in any way (including tries to give money - apparently they didn't really expect to win any with this master-crafted speech), they will soon disappear into the countryside, arguing.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

Kadree tosses several coins in her hand. "Are you sure you don't want to tell us? Alright, a pity... guess I'll keep those, then." She catches the money and moves the hand slowly into her pouch's direction. The coins are low-value yen, but these two guys probably don't sleep on cash.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Banned

"Woah! W... wait!" The bandana-wearing one objects to Kadree trying to remove the coins from his view.
    "Guess I can tell you then, yeah... but ya know how dangerous it is! Anythin' bad happens to us, that's ya fault now, yeah!"

"Right, huh..." The (if you are to believe their words) younger brother looks annoyed, but observes the money greedily.

"You, go away! It ain't a story for youngs like you!"
    "Bein' stupid again, huh? I know the damn story, y'told it to me three times straight in jus' the last week!"
    "Fine! Jus' don't run cryin' if you become traumatised or somethin', yeah!"

When it seems that the duo lost interest in you to bicker with each other, the older one finally starts to spin the story.
    "Y'see, our mother's... lemme be straight, yeah. She's dead. Me father's too - died when I was lil', too small t' remember, yeah... Still, she sumhow managed alone, livin' in our backwater n' all. Till one day - them damn idiots family an' neighbour turned 'em back on her, yeah!" He spits. "They said that's 'cause she had romance with a soldier who was passin' thru - not just romance. Me younger brother, here, was born. Ya know - widow, no payin' respect to dead husband, stupid crap like that. I was five, still remember tho - sure, she had a few talks wif' that fighter, but I took a peak when they were... doin' it an' fer sure it didn't look like if me mum was givin' her consent if ya know what I mean! Still... she loved me brother an' I love him as well." He gives the younger one a small nudge. "But she died, cause all ta relatives ignored 'er and broke her spirit, yeah! That's why... we gonna become great an' rich heroes one way or 'nother, provin' how idiotic they'll are, toilin' and short-sighted idiots, yeah!"

After a shorter while, he adds.
    "S' why we need money, to show 'em fer t' sake o' our mother! Ya see now?"

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ettin in the Playground

Insar

"If you want to be rich or heroes, your in the wrong line of work. If you keep this up, sooner or later you'll run into someone who'll get annoyed with the two of you and kill you where you stand." Insar turns to Iskira, then sighs. "I can see it in your eyes already. You want us to help these fools out."

10. - Top - End - #340
    Banned

"We have to help them!" Iskira exclaims as soon as Insar turns around to face her, even before his comment. It is a rare situation when she interrupts someone else's talk, but it always happens in situations like this one... fun.

She dismounts and takes a few steps toward the bandits, her fist raised in a heroic fashion, her face determined but also visibly moved by the previous speech.
    "We will definitely assist you in your endeavour! I will not let such injustice occur! Come with us - there will be plenty of opportunities for glory and fame on our journeys!"

The robbers look... shocked, to say at least. Let's say that they didn't expect such a reaction, if their gaping mouths are of any indication.

This surprise is shared by your companions as well. Star's eyes are wide open and she finally managed to get her eyes off the treatise, and Oak wipes the sweat (of embarrassment, probably) from his face.
    "Or we could simply straighten things up in their village, young lady Iskira." He quietly adds.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ogre in the Playground

Kadree winces a bit as she listens to the story. "Seems you two didn't have a very good life so far, huh?" She puts the coins into a piece of cloth and throws to them. "Alright, here you go, just as I sa..." She suddenly stops opens her eyes widely in shock, hearing Iskira's words. Well, actually she should expect that...

"Hey, hey, don't you think you're a bit too quick to come out with such an important decision?" She gestures wildly, with her hands held in front of her in a protective way, which she almost always uses when talking with Iskira, as if her attitude was contagious. "Why won't we come to this village first? It's been a while since we've seen a settlement, and it's probably very close, we could restock and rest a bit - after all, we're in no hurry!"

What time of day is it?

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ettin in the Playground

Insar

"Its not worth arguing over. If Iskira wants a new pet project, let them come. We can find some way for them to pull their own weight."

13. - Top - End - #343
    Barbarian in the Playground

"If you really think it's wise to drag a pair of baby ducks along with us, in light of recent events," Mariko observes neutrally, "then by all means do so, but either way we should get going. Let's head to their village; if we can get things straightened out for them there, I think it will be safer for all concerned. Let's just stop standing in the middle of the road like a bunch of stationary targets." This last she adds in an undertone, and her eyes sweep the surrounding area before she moves to the back of the group, to stand as rear-guard.
    Spoiler
    Show

Zöe Althira in When On Olympus
    Ratri Aeval in Double Major
    Mercedes Swift, Scion of Hermes, in ???
    Haiiro Mariko in The Scarlet Shadow
    Kris "Krash" Ashton in Colony
    Karen Mallory in Changing Breeds

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #344
    Banned

"Well..." The older bandit scratches his head. "Dun' take it as rude rejection or anythin' that will leave us murdered, but reckon travellin' with ya'd be kinna... dangerous, yeah. Mebbe we'll pass."
    Iskira looks very disappointed, halted in mid-step. Not even angry - more like rejected.

"Hey, wait! Course, y'can come to our village, it ain't far." The younger one interrupts, waving his arms in the air. "Fter all, am sure yer heavy weapons kin intimida... persuade 'em villagers that they were bein' unrightful bastards, huh. It ain't far, we'll lead t'way."
    "Idiot. Wanna leave an occasion split or get's killed, huh?" He asks his brother in a loud whisper.
    "Shut it! Dun' wet ya dress."
    "Least I stole a dress, yer's bein' useless!"

Every following sentence was less and less secretive. If you wanted to talk or follow the duo, you are forced to wait for a while while they argue and complain about each others' ineptitude.

Emerald Star sighs, but there are glints of amusement in her eyes. "We never fail to find unusual people. Let's follow them either way."

As soon as the brigands regain enough composure to notice there are observers to their scene, they stop their bickering and start to get moving, carrying the tools of the trade on their backs.
    "Let's go, it ain't far!"

You can actually see a field-surrounded village in the distance - the local area rolls gently and you should be able to reach it in about half an hour, maybe less... it doesn't take much to reach its borders, and the travel was ordinary, excluding one event.
    As soon as you are close enough to other people (that is, peasants hardily working in their fields), the younger bandit removes his dress, showing that he is wearing a tattered tunic and trousers under it - both slightly too big for him. He quickly rolls the garment into a ball and hides it under the net he carries.
    "Best if they dun' notice that, huh..."
    Some of the villagers notice you as you travel by, and their reactions are more or less uniform - they lower their heads, trying not to attract attention, but you can notice suspicious glances that most (not all) field workers cast towards the robber brothers.

The village itself looks pretty small, rather poor and unexceptional. The huts are basic and wooden, there are no signs of any First-Age ruins or anything of that kind. The only unusual thing is the number of eyes you draw, even larger than normal for a mercenary company. Most of these gazes fall on the robbers first, but no one tries to approach or follow you. The situation doesn't change even as you step into the village itself... except that some doors and windows (in case of windowed huts) close themselves, and villagers generally try to hide.

"I do hope we can help adjust the misjustice that took place this way... I only wonder how exactly we are going to do it." Iskira has an air of uncertainity about it.

"So, here we're! What'll you do now?" Asks the older of the brothers. You have to admit - even if they are "somewhat" inept and dim, the brigands have guts to address you as equals, instead of referring to you as sirs, lords, ladies or Your Graces.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

"Alright, let's go resupply! And I'm sure some of the villagers will provide us with information about what's up with those two... preferably the village chief! That's always the person to ask about matters like that." Kadree nods to herself. Unless something stops her, she'll do as she just said.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Banned

((I'd post sooner, but Tengu's avatar is so disturbing that it causes my physical pain if I look at it for too long.))

"Well, elder's dataway, yeah!" The older of the brothers points towards a hut not too far from you. It is larger than the usual peasant's home, but that is not saying much - it is definitely not the size of the hall you saw at Bottomless Pool. There seem to be several smaller sheds sitting close to it, too.

Those of the villagers who did not hide themselves start to whisper among each other. Apparently that's how peasants communicate - in whispers. Or they simply don't want you to hear what you want to say.

"I'll go with you, Kadree. We have to make a good first impression if we want to achieve anything here." Emerald Star dismounts, and follows Kadree's steps towards the chief's hut. Kadree herself doesn't even have to lead, since the two highwaymen (if you can call them that with a straight face) jump ahead, quickly half-running towards the house.

"I would like to know what they will talk about, if I may. Being left behind is... mostly pointless." Iskira follows these two (or four, counting the thieves), leading her horse by the bridle. She moves her head from right to left, observing the village carefully... or so it seems.

The house has a door. When knocked on (the older brother did it before any of you had a chance to react), it opens - to reveal a person who probably would be the elder of this village. An old man, with completely gray and thinning hair and a long beard, wearing clothes only slightly less drab than the ones the peasants wear, but of noticeably higher quality. His skin is dark, typical for people of the East, and wrinkled because of old age.

"It's you two agin'! What're ya up fer now?" He blinks, noticing that there are more than just two visitors. He briefly stares at Kadree first, then Star, Iskira and others who approach, and gulps in a nervous manner.
    "Yoah! We're havin' guests! Welcome, welcome m' pretty ladies!" He pushes the two brigands aside before they have a chance to protest, and takes a comically deep bow. "Visitors're rare but always welcome! Make sure to stay fer sum' time, even after yer's done wif' ya business! Won't regret that, I say! Speakin' of which... what brings y'here?" He smooths his beard thoughtfully, his glance traveling from one of you to the other, and back.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2007-12-18 at 11:14 PM.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ettin in the Playground

Insar

I wonder how Iskira is going to try to fix this one. Insar seems somewhat annoyed that no one seemed to even notice him over the girls, but then again, he should just be glad the old man isn't gay.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ogre in the Playground

"So I'm not good enough to make a good first impression, huh?" Kadree keeps this thought to herself, though. She smiles slightly in amusement at the proceeding events, and pales barely noticably at the last words of the elder. "What does he think we're here for...?"

She clears her throat. "Ahem. We've come here to resupply on food and rest a while, nothing really serious - there's still a long road ahead of us! We've come to ask about some other things too, but that's for the elder's ears only..." She looks at the two brothers. Kadree doesn't continue until they leave, and even when that happens she waits for a while and then checks if they're not eavesdropping at the door. It's pretty obvious what does she want to talk about.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Barbarian in the Playground

Noting Kadree's intention to have a private discussion with the elder, Mariko conspicuously positions herself to keep an eye on the bumbling brigands, hoping that her discovery of their initial ruse will make them think twice before trying to put anything past her.
    Spoiler
    Show

Zöe Althira in When On Olympus
    Ratri Aeval in Double Major
    Mercedes Swift, Scion of Hermes, in ???
    Haiiro Mariko in The Scarlet Shadow
    Kris "Krash" Ashton in Colony
    Karen Mallory in Changing Breeds

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #350
    Banned

"Short visit, eh? Shame... well, s' great honor anyway! Be me guests!"
    The elder grins, revealing a surprisingly white but incomplete collection of teeth. He starts to count on his fingers, noticing that you all are here.
    "Four, an' two... a'right. If y' want to stay overnight, on which am insistin', I'll have a restin' place prepared. Now on to business... shoo, shoo ya goodfernothins'!" He shakes his fist at the bandit brothers, making sure they leave the earshot distance. The older one runs, seemingly startled, and the younger sighs and reluctantly walks away, shaking his head.

"Come on in then, nothin' good comes from standin' around at t' doorway! What y' wanted to talk about, pretty lady?" He grins again, this time at Kadree's direction.

Iskira gives Oak a sideway look, to which he responds with a nod. Apparently these two know each other so well that they communicate without words.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ogre in the Playground

"He's counting us like sheep..."
    Making sure that the 'bandits' aren't listening, Kadree sits in the closest chair (if there are any chairs here). "Right... thanks for the hospitality, we'll probably stay overnight... but what I wanted to ask about are those two. From what we've heard it seems they're not very well liked in your village... is that true? And if it is, what're the reasons?"
    Last edited by Tengu; 2007-12-20 at 10:07 AM.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Banned

The inside indeed has several chairs, located around an empty (at the moment at least) table.
    "Take a seat, take a seat!" The elder waves his arms towards these chairs, making sure you are sitting comfortably. After hearing Kadree's request, he smooths his beard again.
    "Lesse... bet 'em two already told ya their story, m'girl. That sum' soldier traveller made non-consensual lovin' to their mother." He frowns. "An' their relatives dun' believe them, think she got a quick number wif' him. This's disgustin' indeed, but I can't do much 'ere."
    He shrugs and takes a short pause, looking at each and every one of you, making sure you are listening.
    "Their family dun' want to have anythin' to do with them 'cause of that, but I can't jus' go to 'em and order 'em to treat the two boys nicely. They kin jus' nod 'em heads when I'm there, but they'll act t' old way when I leave. Rest o' villagers, they dun' really got an obligation to take care o' them, besides they two started causin' trouble to prove how big they're... that ain't bringing them much symphathy, ain't it?"

"We could visit the family of these two and persuade them not to treat them badly. They will listen if I will explain." Emerald Star smiles knowingly and opens one of her fans.

"I think it ain't a good idea, m' fair lady. Y'see, the people got kinda... jaded to travellers. You ain't first brought 'ere cause of them troublemakers. We had sum' a few days ago - great company them, but kinda scary cause they acted so cold..." He sighs.
    "I can talk wif' my folk an' try to explain if you want. Why not rest in the meantime? It'll take sum' time."

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ogre in the Playground

"Please wait!" Kadree raises her hand into the elder's direction. "Do you remember more about those other travelers? How did they look like, maybe where have they come from, to where and why? Sorry if that's too nosy, but these informations might be very important to us."

24. - Top - End - #354
    Banned

((Christmas Break's over!))

"Ain't no problem m'dear. They were 'ere... lesse." Yes, he smooths his beard again. "Three days ago! Came wif' these two in tow, sayin' to watch out fer 'em not to try robbin' travelers or they'll get in deep trouble... kinda expected that, really. I offered 'em to stay but they were so cold an' rejected... too bad, must've been in a hurry. Too bad...

The elder looks thoughtfully for a second.

"Fine people they were. A small an' beautiful girl an' a big, but charmin' young woman in sum' kinda white plate armor. An' an Immaculate Monk, young but not really nothin' special about him... aside from 'is blue skin! I kin recognise special people when I see 'em!"

"Hope that was helpful. You know 'em? I guess extraordinary, great company like y'all would know each other, even on this huge world." He grins, lightly lowering his head in respect. "If you dun' mind, I'll go talk wif' my folk about our brilliant thieves. Why not relax? We got steambaths, great an' soothin' after a long, long travel. And... our local spirits feel kinda offended if travelers dun' use them, since it took efforts an' all to set 'em up."

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ettin in the Playground

Insar

"I'm sorry, but I fear we must decline. If what you say is true, we must be on our way." Insar stands quickly, ready to be off.

Spoiler
    Show

We are three days behind the Dragon-blooded. This kinda sucks. We can't have them find out how to decode the scroll before us.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

I knew it! Kadree smiles under her nose as she hears the description of the travelers.

Huh, I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, a bath like that sure would be nice after such a long journey, and an hour or two probably won't make difference when they're three days ahead of us already... but on the other, it probably might. And he's too eager to invite us, he probably wants to peek on us or something.

"Ahem. Yes, please go and talk with the villagers, maybe they'll understand! We'll decide do we have enough time to use your hospitality in the meantime."

27. - Top - End - #357
    Banned

The elder sighs, and looks visibly sadder.

"Sorry to hear that... I see y'all have to be on y'way, but it ain't takin' much time to relax in t' steambath! Dun' worry, it's got seperates fer men an' women." He pauses, knowing that such an argument is not going to convince you. "Course... ya kin jus' leave and make us face the angry spirits agin'. They're 'specially cranky 'cause the last visitors refused t' visit steambaths too. Y'see, they take great pride in 'em, guests ignorin' the baths is like an insult to 'em. The village's pretty run down 'cause of that."

"I kin make t' baths prepared fer you to use even now an' you can go there while I talk wif' the folk here, but it's your choice." He adds after a second of silence.

"Local spirits seem to act in an unfair way, don't you think?" Emerald Star unfolds one of her fans and places it in front of her face, looking at you all with a gaze of mystery added by the fan.
    "I would like to speak with them, please. And we're in a hurry now, so I think we can use special measures to move faster."

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ettin in the Playground

Insar

"I'd rather we didn't. Frankly, if the spirits get upset whenever anyone passes through and doesn't stop, they are probably cranky all the time anyway. Regardless, we can't afford to have them get there ahead of us or we may never get the information we need." Insar crosses his arms stubbornly over his chest.

Spoiler
    Show

This side arc is starting to bother me. The stupid bandits have gone from funny to just plain retarded. Let's get this story moving again.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Banned

((I agree. It bogs down too much, which wasn't intended. I blamed it on Christmas/New Year, but maybe the players simply grew bored of Not Much Happening. I'll make a real post after anyone else posts what they do - maybe someone from the group wants to stay, as unlikely as it may be.))

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

((This thread is alive! Woah!))

"I'm fine either way.", says Kadree, but after the village chieftain has left. "Guess they have steambaths in Nexus too, and if Insar insists, guess he has a good point in doing so." She just puts more weight to decisions made by Insar and Mariko than Iskira or Star, simply because she considers them more skilled and useful. She'd rather die than get caught saying that, though.