New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 47 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Scarlet Shadow IC

Mariko shrugs, responding over her shoulder to Kadree's remark as she works her way fluidly through the crowd. "It's been a few years," she admits, "but you know how it is; the more things change, the more they stay the same--especially in a city this size. Hopefully I'll be able to help us a little, anyway."
    Last edited by Jannex; 2008-01-16 at 11:22 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Zöe Althira in When On Olympus
    Ratri Aeval in Double Major
    Mercedes Swift, Scion of Hermes, in ???
    Haiiro Mariko in The Scarlet Shadow
    Kris "Krash" Ashton in Colony
    Karen Mallory in Changing Breeds

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #422
    Banned

Mariko leads the group through the crowd - the people are mostly looking around suspiciously and minding their own business. If anyone tried to cut off your money purses, you didn't notice it - they were probably discouraged by all the guards. The area here is tightly packed with buildings (very few are First Age in this part of the district) - they are rather narrow but quite high, making the best use of space. Figures out it's expensive to set up a shop in such a lucrative area, so close to the gates.

You find yourself at a four-story, square building with a strict utilitarian exterior. There are even bars protecting the windows on the lowest stories, making the construction possible to mistake for a prison if not the sign above the doorway - it has the name on it, the Trade-Prince's Rest, as well as a picture of a richly clad man in a turban resting in a laidback position, bag of money in one of his hands and a chalice of wine in the other. The door is open, and a buff jacket-wearing guard with a spear stands next to it, nodding to acknowledge you entering as you do so - because you enter, obviously.
    Surprisingly, the interior is decorated in a less drab way, although it is still somewhat spartan. "Welcome, welcome my dear guests!" A clerk chimes in from behind a heavy desk to the left of you, trained cheerfulness audible in his voice. "The personel of Trade-Prince's Rest hopes you will stay with us for the night. Please let me know if I can be of any service!"

If you decide to rent a room (the prices are quite expensive, but you can afford it and Mariko figures out that with Nexus's reputation of making money from travelers it will be very hard to find a better price in an inn not infested with lice, thieves or undead), you are being led to it by another of the inn's workers, a middle-aged woman with red hair who seems to have the same trained enthusiasm as the clerk. Security seems to be good - there are guards making sure that clients and guests behave, and you are handed a key to your room if you want privacy at night. There doesn't seem to be a bar or any other eating and booze-drinking area in the building... "But if any of you ladies or lord require a meal, we can have something prepared and delivered straight to the room! Pay up front, of course." Your guide smiles as she points to the door that leads to your room.

The room doesn't look anything special - neither filthy nor luxurious, with four simple but comfortable-looking and clean beds (you rented a four-man room), a wardrobe to put clothes in and several small tables. There are a few chairs too. Aside from the lock on the door, you can secure the window itself too - its heavy wooden shutters can be closed and secured with a sturdy staple.

Overall, it seems you have at least a place to sleep in secured. Do you intend to do something before resting, or do you start the exploration of the city at the morning?

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ettin in the Playground

(I'm good for the night. I still need to recover completely from that fight and a good night's sleep is a good start.)

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ogre in the Playground

"Huh, they're not very cheap... but not that it worries us a lot - after all, tomorrow we're going to be filthy rich! Unless something doesn't go very smooth, of course."

(I don't think if there's anything interesting to do this day, either. The next day we should start our search after breakfast though, preferably starting with Zerko Morningsky and a Guild bank - finding out information about Glorious Burning Tree will be much easier once we have money.)
    Last edited by Tengu; 2008-01-17 at 11:23 PM.

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ettin in the Playground

(Where would we put that much jade? I say we simply set up a new account and take a small cut. Does Exalted have checks?)

6. - Top - End - #426

"Around here, security and cleanliness aren't cheap--but they're worth the price." As soon as the group is safely ensconced in the room, Mariko strips off her armor and changes out of her bloodstained clothes, re-dressing her wound and donning a clean outfit (all of which is done with her back to Insar, so as not to discomfit him); when she is finished, it is impossible to tell at a glance that she is injured. She then sets to work making any repairs her armor requires, and conducting routine maintenance on her weapons.

As she works, reclining comfortably on her bed, she glances about at her companions. "Would you like me to go with you to the Guild bank tomorrow, or should I get an early start on my inquiries about our contact?" The more perceptive among the group may notice that she doesn't speak said contact's name aloud. "Also, there are certain precautions one takes with one's money in a city like this. Do you all know how to wrap a pouch so that the coins don't clink, or where to wear it to keep it out of a cutpurse's reach?" Somehow, despite the slightly paranoid turn her conversation has taken, Mariko seems a bit more at ease here than she has been in the small villages and rural areas through which the group has recently passed.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ogre in the Playground

Kadree doesn't even bother to change clothes, just take off her tunic, armor and boots when she goes to sleep - having a cleaning amulet has its benefits!

"I think it's best if we didn't split up, if the city is full of conmen and dangers as you described - four minds are harder to fool than one, and four swords will make potential attackers think twice, unlike one! Because I'm sure we will have to enter those less dangerous parts of the city sooner or later." Kadree scratches Norbo, who's on her lap, idly. "As for avoiding the thieves... I think I know a thing or two, but not much more - I know how to be unheard in general, but not how to specifically make your pouch be like that! Guess I could figure out things on my own, but then, why bother with that if we already have an expert in these matters here who can tell us?" She smiles widely. "What'd we do without you, huh Mariko?"

8. - Top - End - #428
    Banned

(The forum was a real pain today... sorry for the delay on posting. To make matters worse, it's still painfully slow.)

"Good night." Emerald Star goes to sleep in her pajamas, which aren't very different from her normal clothing - if there is any difference between these two in the first place.

The night was peaceful enough - no one tries to enter and there wasn't much noise outside the window, probably because of the sound-muffling shutters. Morning meets you all in good moods, rested although in some cases still wounded. Emerald Star insists on breakfast - you are somewhat hungry too, not having eaten in some time. It isn't anything you cannot afford, even not taking into consideration the piece of paper worth 5 talents.

After the meal, delivered by one of the seemingly countless servants that cater to visitors of the inn, you are ready to face anything the city throws at you. Or at least you feel that way. What do you intend to do now?

9. - Top - End - #429

That night (or the next morning, depending on what her companions prefer), Mariko will show the others how to keep themselves and their possessions a bit safer on the streets of the city. After breakfast, Mariko checks that her knives are loose in their sheaths, and that her cloak completely conceals the artifact weapon strapped to her back. Once ready, there is nothing at all remarkable about her appearance.

"So," she asks, "we're heading to the Guild bank first, then?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ettin in the Playground

Insar

"I say that we go after Glorious Burning Tree first. We can't let our enemies get ahold of that information before us, or we'll never know why they want the scroll. We can deal with the Guild and the money later."

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ogre in the Playground

"I think we should get the money first, for one reason - what if we need to bribe someone to get access to that Tree, whomever it was? I doubt if any of us currently have enough coin to do that..."

12. - Top - End - #432
    Banned

"Well..." Emerald Star stretches languidly and rubs her hands, seemingly content with the morning meal.
    "We can split in two groups, one to visit the bank and the other to look around for Tree. Don't forget who we are - a single one of us can handle a whole gang of robbers at once."

The decision-making process may take some time. Fortunately, you have enough of it - or do you? Dun, dun, dunn....

(By the way - the Guild indeed has a banking system with accounts, loans and so on.)

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ogre in the Playground

(Stupid slow forum stops all games...)

"Alright, I have another idea! I'm sure that the bank is located in one of those more fancy and wealthy parts of the city, which probably means there are little thugs there, so we could send just one person for that! I suggest Star, she's the only one who wouldn't look out of place in such district. The rest of us will go looking for that Tree. What do you think?"

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ettin in the Playground

Insar

"That sounds like a plan. Any objections?"

15. - Top - End - #435

Mariko nods, if a bit hesitantly. "If you feel comfortable with that, Star. And if you think you can handle any trouble--without drawing too much attention," she adds, remembering the Council's decree against "wanton violence."
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #436
    Banned

"Oh, don't worry. I can handle myself just fine. Especially if it's a higher-class district, as Kadree suspects." Emerald Star spreads one of her fans open and puts it in front of her face in a mysterious way.
    'When and where we'll meet again?"

After you agree on a meeting point (probably the inn) and time, she leaves in a casual step, apparently confident of her safety in a large city full of thieves and brigands. That is, if you agree on such a point.

Where and how do you start your own search of Glorious Burning Tree?

(EDIT: Seems the forum is working better now. Good.)
    Last edited by Cubey; 2008-01-19 at 08:12 PM.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ettin in the Playground

Insar

"Mariko, didn't you say that Glorious Burning Tree was an eccentric that held parties at his mansion? Do you remember where the mansion is located?"

18. - Top - End - #438
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show
    She doesn't. Mariko only heard rumours about Tree, but at least she remembers where she heard them - her friends used mentioned that. Unfortunately, they're dead by now, so you obviously can't ask them.

19. - Top - End - #439

Spoiler
    Show

Mariko has a point in Contacts. This is, presumably, someone who was not actually a member of the Nightbirds, but someone outside that group that she got to know, either as a frequent client or an information source. Might she contact this person for information? I assume the roll would be something-plus-Contacts?
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #440
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show
    Go on if you want to. It's Wits+Contacts - feel free to describe it, maybe I'll throw in a stunt die or two if it's done in a cool way. But I'm not posting for several hours now. Need sleep...

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hmm, if that Tree throws a lot of parties around..." Kadree's tongue is apparently too lazy for her to use the full name of that person. "Then there must be quite a lot of people who know what he, or she, or it, lives - it's probably no point asking around wealthy merchants, but I am sure some of those people who work for them know! Maybe, if they are throwing such a party anytime soon, we could even find Tree's servants buying food for the party at the market, and pull their tongues?"

22. - Top - End - #442

At Insar's query, Mariko shakes her head. "Unfortunately, no. I've never been there myself, and only heard about him second-hand." When Kadree speaks, the Night Caste quirks an eyebrow. "It may be easier than that; I know someone who might be able to tell me where our new friend lives, and perhaps a little more as well. I was planning on dropping by and paying him a visit." She glances from Insar to Kadree, and bites her lower lip thoughtfully. "Like a lot of my friends from the old days, he's a bit wary around strangers, so it's probably best if I go and talk to him alone. If you want to follow a little bit behind, that'd be fine, if you're concerned about me running into trouble along the way." This last she says with a bit of a smile; now that she's back in her element, Mariko seems to feel it very unlikely that she would encounter any trouble she couldn't outrun or evade.

If the others agree, Mariko will head out of the Trade-Prince's Rest, working her way down toward the Little Market. Her movements are economical and unobtrusive, designed to make her blend in with the throng of people around her. She moves with as much casual grace as she can summon, to conceal the fact of her injury. At the same time, all her senses are alert, both for any mundane threat, and for any glimpse of their Terrestrial adversaries. If the Dragon-Blooded have already arrived in Nexus, she doesn't want to stumble upon them unawares. Mariko stops briefly at a fruit vendor's stall, laying down a few small coins for her purchases. As she walks away, she takes an orange out of her bag and drops it into the surprised hands of a small, filthy child who had been lingering a few paces away from the stall, eyeing the fresh fruit hungrily.

Eventually Mariko makes her way to a small building with the painted image of a scroll and brushes hanging over the entrance, marking the business as a scribe and messenger service. As she enters, she sees a young teenage boy minding the counter, and apparently practicing his calligraphy; the boy, seated on a high stool, seems of middling height for his age, and both his skin and hair are an indeterminate brownish color of the sort that defies close description. It looks like Sasayaki is still in the business, if this is his apprentice. No real distinguishing features; he's an ideal messenger. A string of chimes above the door tinkle when she opens it, and the boy looks up at her.

"Is Master Sasayaki in?" she asks the boy. "If he is, would you tell him that an old friend is here to speak with him?"

Spoiler
    Show

As she begins her walk, Mariko spends five motes of Personal Essence to activate Sensory Acuity Prana.
    Perception+Awareness (and wound penalties): (10d10)[3][10][2][9][2][9][9][2][4][6](56)
    Wits+Contacts (and wound penalties, which I assume apply?): (4d10)[10][6][1][5](22)
    Last edited by Jannex; 2008-01-20 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Grr, color tags!
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #443
    Banned

((Sorry for the delay, I was rather busy. Luckily the forum works fine now.))

Fortunately for Mariko, she does not notice the Dragon-Blooded. They are either not in this part of the city, or in the city at all (unlikely), or they are very good at sneaking through the crowd (unlikely as well). You're not walking through what you'd exactly call a bad neighborhood, but you notice several people who are probably cutpurses among the crowd. You manage to stay away from them, keeping your money safe. For Nexus's standards, it's a walk in the park.

As the scribe's apprentice hears your request, he nods and answers quietly - not that he has to rise his voice, since there's no one else in the room anyway.
    "Yeah... I mean, o'course, lady. Just a second." He instantly abandons his calligraphy and leaves to the back of the building, shouting in a louder manner.
    "Master, master! Old friend o' yours is here! She wants to talk!"

"Who might it be?" A calm voice answers. It only takes a short moment before both the boy and his master arrive - a lanky, aged (but not yet old) individual with many an ink stain on his skin, roughened by the flow of time. Sasayaki is just as you remember him - calm and composed, his dark eyes clear and observant as it is obvious that he's the one to listen more than talk. He seems to wear some turban-like cloth wrapping on his head all the time - truth to be told, you aren't even sure what his natural hair color is, because of that.

"Mariko. This is a pleasant surprise! I didn't see you for a long time, but we both know that." He smiles and points for you to take a seat. "How's your fortune? Is everything going well?

But most importantly. What brings you here?"

He offers you tea (fortunately, avoiding spilling it on his already-stained person) as you describe whom are you looking for - if you do that, of course. Assuming you inquire on how to reach your contact...

"Yes, I know who Glorious Burning Tree is and how to find her. She resides in a rich mansion of Cinnabar District. Of course, as rich mansions tend to be, this one is well-guarded and difficult to access. You aren't trying to rob her, do you?" He laughs silently. "She holds some eccentric parties from time to time. Just ask the guards, or her recently hired assistant, they don't shoot on sight. It's all pretty common knowledge, actually - in some circles."
    He gives you the directions to the mansion - not bad! Now you have a very tangible grasp on the case.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2008-01-21 at 03:55 PM.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ogre in the Playground

Kadree does follow Mariko - what if she gets in trouble, after all? - though she stays some distance behind, so anyone who's suspicious of strangers won't notice her following her friend. She spends most of the time almost devouring the surrounding with her eyes, though - being in a huge, bustling city is a new experience for her. Norbo on her shoulder doesn't seem to be impressed, though.

After noticing the building where Mariko is exactly headed, Kadree decides to stop following and just keep it in eye's reach, leaning her back on the nearby wall and pretending to be very busy with... watching her own business, apparently. After (if) Mariko leaves, she approaches her at some distanec from the building. "So, how was it? Did you get any information? Because I surely did - I didn't know you have such a heart for kids!" She smiles.

25. - Top - End - #445

After exchanging pleasantries and tea with Master Sasayuki (during which she shares one of her purchases from the market--fresh grapes. She remembers that the master scribe is fond of them, because the stems make them easy to eat with ink-stained hands, and unlike other fruits, they aren't as likely to get messy juices all over his papers), Mariko reemerges into the street and, after a few blocks, allows Kadree to catch up with her.

In response to the other girl's comment, Mariko shrugs. "I grew up on these streets, too. I remember what it was like, having to choose between stealing from a fruit-seller or baker and risk a flogging--or worse, if the merchant had a vindictive streak--or going to sleep hungry." The matter-of-fact tone in her voice suggests that she doesn't feel particularly troubled by these memories; life in Nexus simply is what it is. "I did learn a fair bit about our new friend. Let's return to the inn, though; I don't like to discuss business in public. Old habits die hard, I suppose." If Kadree agrees, Mariko starts back toward the Trade-Prince's Rest, where she will share with her companions what Master Sasayaki told her.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ogre in the Playground

"Alright, let's wait for Star and then let's go check it out! I'm sure we could find a way in... if that Tree is throwing a party lately, maybe we could sneak in or pretend we're guests somehow!
    Kadree says that when they are back in the inn, of course.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Banned

You arrive at the inn as unbothered as before, although the crowd is somewhat of a hindrance - it tends to get packed several times, although whomever would like to trample his way over any of you would discover a surprising resistance.

Emerald Star isn't there when you arrive, and you have to wait for almost an hour for her to make an appearance - riding an official-looking rickshaw, no less!

"I've managed to withdraw the money." She smiles as she tells you all what happened, within the safety of your room. "The bank clerks were a bit suspicious about the origin, but I managed to persuade them. They think we're good friends with Sesus Haskel now." Her smile turns into an ironic grin for a split second. "But I don't have all the money with me. So much jade weights a lot and is impractical to carry, so I've set up an account for us. Here."
    She presents a signed document, stating your bank balance - you have a little less than 5 jade talents on it, and that is because she also has two money pouches with herself - one full of silver, the other of jade. "What shall we do now, hmm? Did you discover anything?"

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ogre in the Playground

"That's an unexpected way of showing up! Anyway... It's good how you managed to handle the matters, but I wonder will the word spread out - if no, good, but if it will, I can see both advantages and drawbacks... it will be much easier for us to get invited by our Tree, for example, but what if the lie gets blown or we meet the *actual* friends of Haskel? There'll be trouble..."

Kadree shakes her head, shrugs and smiles.

"But there's no reason to be overly pessimistic! Mariko has found a clue and we're going to investigate now - unless someone has a better idea, of course!"

29. - Top - End - #449
    Banned

(Okay - because no one posted for some time then I assume you do as Tengu said. That is, check out Tree's place.)

You go out of the inn again, this time to Cinnabar District. I am not sure who of you decided to go and who decides to stay - Emerald Star goes, however.
    "I'm so very curious about this. There is no way I am not coming!"

Cinnabar is the artistic and cultural area of Nexus - there is more galleries and art centers (and First Age buildings), while less beggars, thieves and troublemakers - mostly thanks to large numbers of mercenary guards that keep all the unsavory elements away. Possibly with violence. Indeed, as the buildings around get richer and more flamboyant and the people start to resemble artists (or decadent and corrupt rich - the choice is yours), you encounter several mercenary patrols. They do not seem to question you, although members of one of them, a band of rugged men wearing fanged masks and chain-reinforced buff jackets, looked at you in a very discouraging manner. They may think you're potential thieves - or maybe competition?

At any rate, you safely arrive at the building. And quite a building it is - either a First Age one, or a very good replica! Three stories high, all of which with large, arcing windows, and to add up to it it also has a spire-like tower emerging from its roof, which at least doubles its height! Wonders of architecture aside, it is heavily guarded. Even the main gates are manned by four guards, and you can see more walking around lazily.
    The guards themselves are wearing long, red coats and suits of scale armor. They're armed with long spears mostly, but some carry other weapons. They have no marking on their armors, although (on closer inspection) each one seems to have a small black symbol of a flame tattooed somewhere on their face. The gate-watching mercenaries focus their attention on you, but they neither prepare their arms nor change their expressions of boredom.
    One of them, largest and bulkiest (but surprisingly pale for a Nexus denizen - almost dead-like pale. It reminds you of someone you've met, and killed, a while ago) seems to be leaning against some kind of a message board, with a piece of paper attached to it. Well, you can't really read it while he's obscuring it though.
    "Hmm?" He finally mutters under his breath. "Got business, ladies?"
    He apparently assumes Insar isn't in charge here - even if he did come.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ettin in the Playground

Insar

"The ladies and I would like to speak with Glorious Burning Tree, if he is in."