New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Virč's Dream

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Virč's Dream

You wake up to find yourself still asleep. Your body isn't your own, although it's... similar. Just a healthy dose better.

You seem to be in a featureless, dark plane, but quickly you notice that you're standing on a hill. The hill is black, the valleys around are black, the horizon is black, and the dragon and rider that are barreling towards you are also black. Oh hell...

Your body reacts with speed that is not your own. There's no chance for either of your adversaries to act before you.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Virč's Dream

Virč looked around in panic, looking for somewhere to hide. She looked back in a fright as the dragon...just kinda seemed to hang there, in the air, unmoving. No, it definitely was moving, just very, very, very slowly.

She took a moment to compose herself. With the dragon moving as slowly as it was, it'd be trivial to just walk away. Yet something was pushing her to take the fight to the beast.

'Alright, alright, no need to be so pushy'. She muttered, as she looked over her foe, considering move and counter move, preparing as much as she could. Strange magic flowed from her as she prepared, but the magic felt like a natural extension of herself.

Then, when she'd stacked the deck as much as she could, she leapt into the air, lashing out at the dragon's rider with a chain of dark iron.

Spoiler: OOC info
    Show

So, my pre-fight buffstack is as follows (consisting only of effects that'd be up 24/7 thanks to duration or persistency. Spells made permanent are on my character sheet.)
    extended energy immunity (acid, cold, lightning and sonic) (2 8th level wizard spell slots/day)
    energy immunity (fire) (1 7th level wizard spell)
    persistent haste (1 2nd level shadowlord spell slot and 1 6th level beguiler spell slot (thanks to the ultimate magus'augmented spellcasting ability I can spend another spell slot for metamagic costs))
    persistent dimension jumper (1 5th level wizard spell and 1 6th level beguiler spell slot)
    mind blank (1 8th level beguiler spell slot)
    detect scrying (1 3rd level shadowlord spell slot)
    anticipate teleportation (1 3rd level wizard spell slot)
    extended zone of silence (1 3rd level beguiler spell slot and 1 1st level shadowlord spell slot)
    moment of prescience (1 8th level beguiler spell slot)
    3* freedom of dimensional movement epic spell (3 epic spell slots)

Fight start
    Standard action: subsume a casting of haste in a 9th level beguiler spell slot, giving me 4 rounds of time stop.

time-stop round 1:
    full-round action: adaptive style to set maneuvers
    Spoiler: maneuvers
    Show

Swordsage (12)
    Strikes: five shadow creeping ice enervation strike (signature move, doesn't get expended)
    counters: leaping flame, moment of alacrity, moment of perfect mind, mind over body, scorpion parry, one with shadow, diamond defense, fool's strike
    boosts: inferno blade, shadow blink, quicksilver motion

Warblade
    strikes: disarming strike, white raven strike
    counters: iron heart focus
    boosts: iron heart surge, iron heart endurance, white raven tactics, scything blade

standard action (I get an extra move or standard action per turn while hasted thanks to my levels in swiftblade): cast foresight (which'll probably start giving me premonitions about something called 'death effects')
    swift action: set stances to ghostly defense, assassin's stance and stance of alacrity
    time-stop round 2
    full round: summon monster 9, for one Couatl that knows how to cast death ward
    time-stop round 3
    standard action: cast starmantle
    standard action: cast superior invisibility
    time-stop round 4
    standard action: cast spell turning (DM has to roll the dice to determine amount of turned spells in secret)
    standard action: pray to whatever god might listen
    move action: get within 10 feet of dragon rider (60 feet good flight from cloak).
    End of time stop
    The summoned couatl casts death ward on Virč.

Swift action: use belt of battle to get another standard action
    Standard action: perform an empowered, maximized five shadow creaping ice enervation strike against the rider twice.
    Attack roll: (1d20+45)[46]
    base damage: (2d4+150)[157] (base attack damage+maneuver damage) + (4d6+30)[40] (sneak attack damage, if applicable) magical piercing damage
    ability damage: The rider makes a DC25 fortitude check,s uffering one of the following on a failure. On a succes, he takes half the listed dex and/or strength damage, and none of the other effects. (1d20)[19]: on a result of 1-7 on that roll, the rider takes 18 dex damage and ahs his speed reduced to 0. On a result of 8-14, he takes 18 strength damage and takes a -6 penalty on attack rolls and concentration checks. On a result of 15+, he takes 18 dex and strength damage and 18 con damage.

Standard action: perform an empowered, maximized five shadow creaping ice enervation strike against the rider twice.
    Attack roll: (1d20+45)[52]
    base damage: (2d4+150)[156] (base attack damage+maneuver damage) + (4d6+30)[44] (sneak attack damage, if applicable) magical piercing damage
    ability damage: The rider makes a DC25 fortitude check,s uffering one of the following on a failure. On a succes, he takes half the listed dex and/or strength damage, and none of the other effects. (1d20)[11]: on a result of 1-7 on that roll, the rider takes 18 dex damage and ahs his speed reduced to 0. On a result of 8-14, he takes 18 strength damage and takes a -6 penalty on attack rolls and concentration checks. On a result of 15+, he takes 18 dex and strength damage and 18 con damage.

move action: teleport (up to) 30 feet (dimension jumper spell effect), remaining within 10 feet of the rider. Triggers shadow pounce, allowing for a full-round attack.
    attack rolls: (1d20+45)[56] , (1d20+40)[47] , (1d20+35)[47] , (1d20+30)[49]
    damage: [roll]2d4+1d6+11[/roll] (base attack damage+swiftblade bonus) + (4d6+30)[42] (sneak attack damage, if applicable), [roll]2d4+1d6+11[/roll] + (4d6+30)[44], [roll]2d4+1d6+11[/roll] + (4d6+30)[41], [roll]2d4+1d6+11[/roll] + (4d6+30)[46]

Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC: Redone base damage rolls from the full-round attack
    Show

(2d4+11)[16]+(1d6)[3] (base attack damage+swiftblade bonus) (2d4+11)[17]+(1d6)[2] , (2d4+11)[16]+(1d6)[4] , (2d4+11)[15]+(1d6)[2]

4. - Top - End - #4

WolfInSheepsClothing

The rider has a very bad time, but seems to be just alert enough to prevent you from getting any especially solid hits in, and the effects of your draining power seem far diminished. Mount and rider both retaliate, striking furiously at you.

The rider takes out of his blade and mutters an incantation: he seems suddenly unaffected by the damage dealt to him earlier. A second incantation makes you feel as though your defences are broken and your mind and reflexes dulled, and a third starts knitting together his damaged flesh. The rider draws his sword, and points it at you as if to point out your location.

His dragon responds by taking a step back and roaring out an incantation, and blasting your location with a bevy of magical effects...

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    First, you're hit by a -20 to AC and all your saves. Second, I need your reaction to Mordenkainen's Disjunction, DC 43, poised to hit you and your summon. Third, the dragon isn't done, but what it does next will depend largely on if you have a response and what your saves are.
    Last edited by Unavenger; 2020-02-24 at 12:21 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

The rider's response was swift, as Virč felt her defenses begin to crumble. She saw another spell issue forth from her assailant, one designed to unmake all her carefully selected tricks. In reflex, she raised her hands, willing the attack to just stop.

And stop it did. A moment of dizziness came and went, and the attack ahead of her seemed frozen into the air, for just a moment. She made use of the momentary stop in the onslaught to just not be there anymore.

Show

Defensively casting (I auto-pass the concentration checks with +43 to the roll) I cast celerity->subsume 7th level beguiler spell slot as haste for two rounds of time stop-> sit out celerity daze on round 1, then teleport to the horizon on round 2. My summon is just going to get destroyed, I'm afraid, as I can't take them along while in time stop.

6. - Top - End - #6

WolfInSheepsClothing

As you try to cast your spell to escape escape, the creature lashes its tail at you, still breathing incantations.

Show
    Spellcasting harrier; the attack hits and deals 77 points of damage (85 for purposes of concentration checks) unless you have any way of stopping that.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Virč was so focused on the riders onslaught that she'd missed the dragons tail wipping around, striking her and threatening to cause her defensive spell to slip away.

Show

Damage halved thanks to starmantle. I'm not entirely certain what caused the increase in damage for concentration checks, but even in the worst case (flat addition) this should bring the effective damage down to 45, for (I tihnk) a DC 55 concentration check.

Virč expends her moment of prescience for an extra +25 on the concentration check.

Concentration check: (d20+66)[69]

8. - Top - End - #8

WolfInSheepsClothing

As you snap back onto the horizon, the dragon snarls, and decides to find you the easy way. Its eyes light up as it finishes another spell, and it leaps to make sure you're within its reach again.

Show
    Your move.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Virč grimaced. She doubted that her attack had done much more than inconvenience her assailants, and she'd only barely gotten out of there alive. Still, for some reason she felt disinclined to flee quite yet.

Another moment's concentration, and the world lurched around her again, with the dragon and rider once again appearing within striking distance. 'let's see how well you do without your defenses' She muttered, as she unleashed a spell designed to strip the rider's magical wards.

Show

standard action: greater teleport to a position 350 feet behind the rider.
    standard action: reaving dispel targeting the rider. Reaving dispel functions as a normal dispel, but I get a +20 bonus thanks to caster level instead of only +10, I get to identify any spells and effects active on the target (DC 25+spell level, which means I succeed automatically for spells below level 23), and any effect I successfully dispel I can choose to have continue as if cast on me instead.
    dispel check: (1d20+20)[23]
    identification check (in case it matters): (1d20+46)[50]

move action: fly 80 feet away from the dragon.