New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: White Mages (and other FF types) in D&D

Try this system. Its the Zodiac Final Fantasy RPG. It lacks a lot of out-of-combat stuff, relying on the GM to dictate what happens (But hey, theres no chance of diplomancers becoming close friends with the BBEG in the first six seconds of meeting him) but it gives plenty of tools to the GM (and the players, of course) to design just how the things in their fantasy world work. Its a very balanced system. However, there is no established content.

Anyway, you want to make a White mage? Then you will generally gravitate towards Magical Stats and Gears, rather then their physical counterparts (Thats the "Mage" in White Mage, but you could even make your healer tougher. Just as tough as you'd like.) and then you pick out your healing techs. You could even make a starter version of the Holy Spell right at character creation by picking the "Attack Magic" Primary and pairing it with the "Holy Elemental" Secondary, or perhaps have the Primary be the "Power Attack" effect and deal physical damage instead of magical, but still leave in as holy. Whatever the "Primary" called however, you get to name the Tech. The "Attack Magic" Spell could be called "Dia 1" or "Smite" or even "Ride the Lightning".

Also, its unique in that it is one of the few systems where GMs have rules and guildelines for making their own monsters. (You could dismiss or fudge the rules, however, to make monsters with really unusual abilities..)
    Thank you, Devil's Advocate for sending me this link so I can finally erase my old signature!

https://forums.giantitp.com/profile....=editsignature

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

I could have sworn that I've seen a homebrew FF D20 setting somewhere. The suggeastions so far would work out pretty well if there is no such thing though.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Final Fantasy and D20 do not mesh well together. If you want to play a FF-style game, go for Exalted (and probably modify it a lot, but it's the best bet), Returners' FFRPG (which I found to have too many limitations, personally) or my FFRPG (which is not 100% complete yet, especially the GM part).

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

I would echo the above. D20 + FF = ??? Giant Mess ???, unless you're going for the much earlier titles by exclusivity. Most things that do things in FF work way, way differently in DnD, and a lot of the "traditional" stuff on either end can conflict (White Mages vs. Clerics, for instance).

(If you do Exalted, I would heavily recommend the "Form of Many Belts" and "Nonfunctional Zipper Technique" to best emulate some of the more recent works.)
    Last edited by Bleen; 2008-03-29 at 01:29 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu View Post
    Final Fantasy and D20 do not mesh well together. If you want to play a FF-style game, go for Exalted (and probably modify it a lot, but it's the best bet), Returners' FFRPG (which I found to have too many limitations, personally) or my FFRPG (which is not 100% complete yet, especially the GM part).
    The Returners' FFRPG is literally the worst actually workable system I've tried. Many, MANY things are broken or poorly designed, and to get the game working you have to start play past level 1 or be lucky.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

True, The Returners are poorly designed, easy to break, have a lot of class imbalance, and all members of the same class look almost the same mechanically. But it's still a better idea than playing a Final Fantasy D20 game.

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat