New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: High Hopes and Bright Futures (IC)

There's a smile to Kyra as Rixia stretches for a moment, then says, "Here I go!" In truth, she can't really remember the last time she did this, but it's good to test her limits...

Spoiler: Climb
    Show
    (1d20+7)[23]

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Cooper
    HP 21/21
    AC 13
    Cooper shook his head again. "I think she just wanted my help cause I messed up. I'll help again if she asks but I dunno if my talents lie in cooking, you know? I don't really... know that." He sighed and picked up the bag before his face started going red. "Taht was maybe a bit too much sharing. You have a good night Mr. Sifiso."

Outside, he fishes one of the pastries out of the bag and sniffing it first, takes a bite and starts walking back toward the inn, avoiding alleys this time. Strange people in strange places.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Merilan View Post
    There's a smile to Kyra as Rixia stretches for a moment, then says, "Here I go!" In truth, she can't really remember the last time she did this, but it's good to test her limits...

Spoiler: Climb
    Show
    [roll0]
    It's a bit of a challenge, climbing up the brick and stone building, but hopping into the window and then going from there is enough to get you within reach of the roof with not too much effort. The human might have a bit more trouble though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacior View Post

Cooper
    HP 21/21
    AC 13
    Cooper shook his head again. "I think she just wanted my help cause I messed up. I'll help again if she asks but I dunno if my talents lie in cooking, you know? I don't really... know that." He sighed and picked up the bag before his face started going red. "Taht was maybe a bit too much sharing. You have a good night Mr. Sifiso."

Outside, he fishes one of the pastries out of the bag and sniffing it first, takes a bite and starts walking back toward the inn, avoiding alleys this time. Strange people in strange places.
    "Don't worry, I don't blabber to folks. Take care, kid," the man says, heading back inside.

The 'pats' are pretty good. The texture is interesting, like a mix between a dense bread and mashed potato, but pleasantly sweet before even accounting for the glaze. You still have to let it cool a little after taking a bite, but they might be something to try imitating later - with less sugar, they might be good alongside something savory.

Making your way back to the in, Niaka and Polemm are hard at work, the former bringing out food, the latter attending to travelers who are looking for a place to stay for the evening. "Ah, Island, welcome back!" You quickly find yourself swept into the evening rush, taking over for Niaka in bringing out food while she steps back in the kitchen to focus on cooking.

(Is there anything you plan to do for the evening? If not, you'll be on hold while the others get toward nightfall.)
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Kyra
    HP 27/27
    AC 13
    [COLOR=#800080]Kyra waits for a moment, checking on Rixi's progress - not that she doubted the fox girl's skills, but, you know, just in case - then follows suit, trusting her balance and coordination to pull through where pure strength wouldn't be enough...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Climb: (1d20+7)[9]
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post

Kyra
    HP 27/27
    AC 13
    [COLOR=#800080]Kyra waits for a moment, checking on Rixi's progress - not that she doubted the fox girl's skills, but, you know, just in case - then follows suit, trusting her balance and coordination to pull through where pure strength wouldn't be enough...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Climb: [roll0]
    Unfortunately, you're just a little too short to reach the roof from the window perch. You try to stretch out to reach it and... oh no, that brick was loose!

Rixi, you see Kyra go head over teakettle as she tries to follow you up to the roof.

Show

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Rixia yelps as she watches that brick come loose, and throws her hand down the ledge to try to quickly grab hold of Kyra before she falls! "Kyra!"

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Kyra
    HP 27/27
    AC 13
    "Aaah!" Kyra lets out a surprised yell as the brick gives loose under her fingers - not really scared, it's not a fall to speak of, a couple bruises at worst... "Ouch!"
    Still, as she gets up, the first thing she does is look upwards and meet Rixi's eyes, waving to the fox girl with s smile, though a bit of embarrassment on her cheeks.
    "I'm fine, I'm fine, don't worry!"

After a couple more attempts, Kyra manages to find her way along the decrepit building and join Rixi on the roof, "So..." sehreaches into her bag ad pulls the bisquits out, "A bit crushed maybe, but should still be good, what do you think?"
    Last edited by jamieth; 2020-03-28 at 05:14 AM.

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Rixia's ears wilt gently as she looks to Kyra when she comes back up, murmuring, "My heart nearly jumped out of my mouth. I'm glad you're not badly hurt..." She looks towards the biscuits, then chuckles faintly as she takes one and says, "Mmm, it'd be nice to share it with you, up here."

She looks towards the stars for a moment, then says, "I always... liked looking to the stars for guidance."

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Rixia and Kyra
    After your rooftop biscuits and chat, you enjoy watching the stars for a time, trying to find constellations - the Leviathan is the only one that you can easily find, the characteristic trail of stars stretching from the north of the sky down to past the horizon. Staring at its tail and wondering how far it continues, you realize how late it is getting, as the last vestiges of sunlight begin to disappear over the horizon. After carefully getting down from the roof, you make your way back to the temple. Being out so late, the bunks are full, but blanket spaces on the ground have been laid out. You both curl up in a spot by a window, attempting to let sleep take you of the night.

Unfortunately, an hour later, both of you can't seem to get to sleep. As the building fills with the snores of children and the elderly, you both lie awake, staring at the stars, having counted hundreds of sheep. Something in the back of both of your minds sits there, like a sense of cold unease.

Cooper
    You spend the evening helping out the patrons. The four gnome guests that Polemm and Niaka mentioned seemed pleasantly surprised by the dish, and you find yourself busy late into the evening serving guests.

"It's clear that your chef learned about it by description, rather than recipe, which makes it more impressive how well it turned out. Let the purveyors know that we will be stopping by here in the future during our business, the short, black haired gnome says with a smile, placing a single, silvery metal piece of coinage on the table. It's noticeably smaller than a silver piece, though weighs the same amount. Etched into it are markings similar to the face of a clock. "I hope that will cover our meals and lodgings." It is nearly midnight when the patrons are either shuffled out into the streets or to their rooms by the closing bar.

"Thanks for the work again, Island," Polemm says, clapping you on the shoulder. "Glad I can count on you." As you finally get a chance to sit and eat your own meal, you feel a needling sensation in the back of your head, like that feeling when you think there's going to be one more step than there is.

Gloria
    Quietly, you continue to go about your work, baking and selling. As evening rolls around you help make preparations for tomorrow - checking the yeast, making sure the pantry is free of pests, putting the traditional loaves out to rise overnight.

Your family discussion at dinner is generally lively, with your brother talking about the different visitors he saw while you two were selling in the square. Eventually, you all turn in for an early night, ready for the early morning tomorrow.

Except, as your parents have yet to discover, you don't go to bed right away. Slipping out of the bakery once everyone is clearly asleep, you check outside to make sure no town guards will give you trouble. You've noticed that they seem to randomly choose a section of town to enforce curfew in more heavily, which makes patrolling some nights easier than others. So far, you've done not much more than help a few homeless find a place to rest for the night, or in one case, break up a fight between two drunks. Not exactly the light in the darkness that you expected, but it's all work that helps people.

Tonight though, something feels different. The air has a surprising nip to it that is unusual in the summer, and the moon, though full, doesn't feel like it shines as bright as it usually does. You feel an instinctive unease that puts an additional haste in your step as you leave the house.

Show

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

For once, Rixia sounds like she has something she really enjoys talking about -- pointing out individual stars, trying to find constellations, even as inexpert and amateurish as her observations can be. But before long, the night has come to pass, and they return to the temple...

Though sleep isn't meant to be. Stirring quietly and rising up, she rubs at her head to say, "I think I'm going to go for a night walk..." as she quietly slips out, not wanting to disturb people sleeping.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Bugbear in the Playground

After quietly leaving the house, having thing prepared to help it be that way ahead of time, she looks for a quiet alley to transform in. After all, the Light was pretty flashy and she didn't want to draw any undue attention to herself. After finding a decent enough spot, she would transform, her outfit becoming green and blues and featuring a slated somewhat frilly skirt. Her weapons would form in her hands, but she puts them in a pair of sheaths that appear as needed. As she would a curious looking puffy wisp would appear beside her. Taking a breath, she would then look for a way to get on a roof so she could get a better view of the town.
    ~Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the Illya Avatar!~

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Kyra
    HP 27/27
    AC 13
    Yeah... no point in wasting more time... Kyra gets up and heads out as well... and quietly heads towards the tower of the Kelerth temple. What's the chance it isn't guarded during the night? Well, only one way to find out...

Extended signature

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Cooper
    HP 21/21
    AC 13
    Cooper was antsy. He'd finished eating, helped wash up, eaten two more of those weird pastry things. Now he found himself lying in bed, staring at the shadow the small lamp cast on the ceiling. He couldn't sleep. Couldn't even really consider closing his eyes to try. He'd stopped pacing in case he would disturb the other guests. Sitting up he looked at the room again. What was wrong? He should have gone to see his siblings today. He needed to take a walk.

With as much stealth as he was capable of summoning, he stepped over to the window and propped it open so it wouldn't lock him out after he climbed out and into the alley. After a moment, he went back in and grabbed his pack. Better to keep everything with him at all times. Stepping out into the night, he looked up at the stars and started walking again. Maybe stopping by the church would settle him.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Rixia
    As you walk through the crisp evening air, you initially just make a lap around the nearby section of buildings, enjoying the cool air and night sky and trying to push the uneasy feeling out of your mind. As you pass by a section of street in the town square, the feeling in your head suddenly becomes overwhelming, and you have to fight your urge to start running from... well, nothing. As you shake off the feeling, you begin looking around. There doesn't appear to be anything in the immediate area that would suggest danger.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you would like, you may make a search check to do a more thorough search of the area.

As you look around a little more, you see a young, human girl with brown hair in a blue and green frilled dress. On her side are two scabbards with sheathed blades. She's familiar.

Gloria
    You jog through town, looking for the source of that feeling in your head. It seems to ebb and flow as you move through the city, being most powerful as you walk down the center of the empty night road. Following it, you soon find yourself at the outer edge of the town square. In the distance, in the center of the square, you can see a familiar, pale, young girl with white hair and what appear to be animal ears poking up.

Kyra
    You head out of the church and walk toward the bell tower in the distance. Outside, you see a single snow elf woman dressed in the familiar robes of a priest, looking more than a little bored at likely having been saddled with the night watch. As you look on at the building, wondering where might be a good place to climb without drawing the watcher's attention, you spot a young elven boy. The young elf seems to pause in front of the building, look up at it, and then seemingly out of nowhere breaks into a dead sprint away. A look of sheer terror is on his face.

Cooper
    You head down the roadway toward the edge of town, pushing the discomfort out of your mind. The walk is a good ways. There was a reason, after all, that you didn't do it earlier when you were busy. As you cross roads, several time that sense of unease builds, but then flows away, like a wave lapping at the shores. As you walk past the clock tower, the building that also housed the Church of Kelerth, you look up at the scarred eye carved into the front of it. You could feel it watching over you, looking into you, like a... And then your chest grows tight. You feel your skin go cold, and fear grips you. Not knowing the source, you just start running as fast as your legs can carry you. Away! Away! You're not sure even what from but you just know that you have to get away!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cooper panics for three rounds, or 18 seconds.

Show

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

What is this? I haven't felt this afraid since... since father-- Rixia cuts off that thought well before it can creep into her heart as she moves, breathing a bit light as she looks around, finding no apparent sensation of danger... but she does spot a familiar-looking girl. She saw her before... was it the bakery? She's not certain.

But she looks different now, in a gorgeous dress and twin blades. "A-aren't you from...?"

For a brief moment, she hesitates on whether she should tip her hand, but she felt more worried unguarded. "Trigger," she states, and a starry flash envelops her; a billowing gown the colour and pattern of a starry night, adorned with stars and moons and suns, appears over her clothing.

And for her weapons -- a larger sword with a similar starlight pattern, with a strange gun-like handle and a shield in the form of a revolving orrery.

She puffs out a breath, and says, "Are you like... like me?" A pause. "My name's Rixia. Do you feel this as well? This awful sensation..."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Hopefully transforming is fine! 12 on Search, no plusses.
    Last edited by Merilan; 2020-04-03 at 05:55 AM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

Kyra
    HP 27/27
    AC 13
    Now, that certainly wasn't something Kyra expected to see... she ponders for a moment, trying to decide if there's any chance to stop the boy, but... he seems really determined to get away - and not really prone to noticing anything else. And that means, of course, thatKyra only has one way to find out what exactly scared the poor elf like so... Not finding out is out of the question. Not only her natural curiosity would kill her, but... she made a deal. And the wyrmling, somehow, fullilled their side of it... now, Kyra had to fulfill hers. if there was anything that scary in the town... she couldn't just turn away.
    Looking around, and making sure no one sees... hopefully... she whispers, "Allez Hop!"

Kyra
    HP 27/27
    AC 17
    A very different Kyra, clad in a bright jester's outfit, heads towards the building with a confidence some might say was foolish... but well, it only fit her current self.

Extended signature

17. - Top - End - #77

As she finally finds a perch on a roof, it seems her guard had been let down as she gets spotted. She sighs, This feeling is so distracting... she would think, but would very soon be distracted momentarily by who had spotted her. Her face would brighten up as she hops down, taking any smaller ledges required to make sure the distance wouldn't break her legs. She closes in the space between them, but it obvious her actions are hostile. "Wow! You're so cute with your ears!" she squeals, "And you're like me too! Hi, I'm Gloria!" She would avoid touching the ears for now, she did have manners after all.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Rixia's calm facade lasts all of about five seconds when Gloria approaches and speaks about her ears. The fact that they perk up and start wiggling agitatedly -- not to mention her tail wagging from one side to another -- doesn't help matters. "W-well, it's nice to meet you, and thanks and all, but--" she glances around, puffing. "We'd best make sure we find whatever this is... perhaps a monster?"

19. - Top - End - #79

Gloria grins when Rixia perks up, and takes it as license to pet her. The girl speaking up would knock her back to reality. Her face would get serious, looking as though she was being much more sensitive to her surroundings. "You're right. This is really unsual," she'd smile once more, "A monster you say? I haven't gotten to fight one of those. This power has felt mostly wasted on the few things I have done as a warrior of light."

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Cooper
    HP 21/21
    AC 13
    Cooper ran with all the speed he muster and that was not a subtle amount even in the dark. But the fear that had gripped his heart like nothing in the last years faded almost as soon as it came and with it died his running. Taking some deep breaths he turned back towards the square and the clocktower that drove him from it and frowned. "I don't need to be scared anymore. I'm not... weak." He stepped into the open space again, almost marching towards the clock tower. "I'm not going to be the same scared kid who runs and hides in the alleys every time anymore." He raised the arm with the harp bangle on it, the sound far more audible than it had been. "Raise voice in harmonious symphony!" The light that envelopped him for a moment was like looking into the distant starry sky before being left with a very dressed differently figure.

Cooper
    HP 21/21
    AC 17
    Perhaps it was an overreaction to do this here and now, but whatever did that... couldn't be normal right? "I won't be afraid of you, whatever you are. So you can just give that up right now!"

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

There's a moment in which Rixia's face turns incredibly red as she gets petted, before she clears her throat as Gloria says she hasn't fought a monster before. "Mmm, well, with two of us, it's not going to be as dangerous..." She looks around, but doesn't seem to notice anything too unusual. "Still, I wonder if they're hidden... do you see anything?"

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Cooper
    HP 21/21
    AC 13
    Cooper ran with all the speed he muster and that was not a subtle amount even in the dark. But the fear that had gripped his heart like nothing in the last years faded almost as soon as it came and with it died his running. Taking some deep breaths he turned back towards the square and the clocktower that drove him from it and frowned. "I don't need to be scared anymore. I'm not... weak." He stepped into the open space again, almost marching towards the clock tower. "I'm not going to be the same scared kid who runs and hides in the alleys every time anymore." He raised the arm with the harp bangle on it, the sound far more audible than it had been. "Raise voice in harmonious symphony!" The light that envelopped him for a moment was like looking into the distant starry sky before being left with a very dressed differently figure.

Cooper
    HP 21/21
    AC 17
    Perhaps it was an overreaction to do this here and now, but whatever did that... couldn't be normal right? "I won't be afraid of you, whatever you are. So you can just give that up right now!"
    The eye carving silently stares on, but nothing else seems to happen. The ominous feeling from the area seems to have entirely vanished, though.

Show

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Gloria
    At Rixia's prompting, you begin to look around for places that the source of that ominous feeling could be. Not the food stands, nothing in the immediate vicinity of the alleyways... And then it hits you. As a resident of the town, you remember some kids talking about rumors of the sealed off underground tunnels. You suspect that maybe that's where the feeling is coming from, and begin searching the ground...

About two feet from where Rixia is standing, you see a metal plate built into the stone that makes up the roadway, almost invisible from dirt buildup.

Show

24. - Top - End - #84

She kicks away the dirt from the face of the metal plate until she sees it's edges, "I've heard talk about a sealed off underground... Maybe what we feel is down there? This should be the way in. What do you think?"

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Rixia blinks a few times as Gloria exposes a hidden passage, nodding as she glances around again. "Good catch... I didn't even know that was there." She pauses, then lowers her head. "Stay safe, Kyra..."

She looks to Gloria again. "It's worth investigating."

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by YuweaCurtis View Post
    She kicks away the dirt from the face of the metal plate until she sees it's edges, "I've heard talk about a sealed off underground... Maybe what we feel is down there? This should be the way in. What do you think?"
    Rixia blinks a few times as Gloria exposes a hidden passage, nodding as she glances around again. "Good catch... I didn't even know that was there." She pauses, then lowers her head. "Stay safe, Kyra..."

She looks to Gloria again. "It's worth investigating."
    Gloria tries to lift the plate, and immediately feels a pain in her back, letting go before she hurts herself. Rixia gently pushes Gloria aside and reaches two fingers into the hole in the center of the manhole. The magical girl flashes with a bright, lavender power and gives the plate a powerful heave, picking it up and quickly setting it down.

The smell that emanates is beyond foul, but you both quickly shake your heads as you peer into the darkness. You can hear the sound of water dripping, but the underground sewer is dark as a cave.

Cooper
    HP 21/21
    AC 13

Cooper
    HP 21/21
    AC 17
    As you stand in front of the church, a snow elven woman in dark robes suddenly runs up to you, looking rather shocked. "Who are you? Wh- why are you out so late at night? What- What was that?" she asks rapidly.
    Last edited by Esprit15; 2020-04-10 at 06:08 PM.

Show

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

There's a scowl on Rixia's face after she helps lift the grate and says, "Agh, I knew it would smell horrible... no other way around it, however."

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Cooper
    HP 21/21
    AC 17
    Behind the mask, Cooper's face blanched. "Uh... sorry Ma'am, private business!" Yeah that'd work. "There's been a... report of strange activity and the... inspector sent me out here to check it out. I don't know if you experienced it but when I approached the clock... tower eye? There as a compulsion for me to flee. So I need to... inspect that..."

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Cooper
    HP 21/21
    AC 17
    Behind the mask, Cooper's face blanched. "Uh... sorry Ma'am, private business!" Yeah that'd work. "There's been a... report of strange activity and the... inspector sent me out here to check it out. I don't know if you experienced it but when I approached the clock... tower eye? There as a compulsion for me to flee. So I need to... inspect that..."
    The woman looks at you with extreme skepticism, but then smiles. "Reports you say? And just who is this inspector you work for?" Her tone reminds you of an adult playing along with a kid pretending. "No, I haven't noticed anything here, other than the general discomfort of being out at night. But I'll make sure to keep an eye out. That is why I'm here, after all."

Show

30. - Top - End - #90

There's a scowl on Rixia's face after she helps lift the grate and says, "Agh, I knew it would smell horrible... no other way around it, however."
    Gloria winces and covers her face when the foul smell reaches her nostrils. "N-nice," she says, trying to ignore thr smell. "Sorry, raw strength isn't really my thing... Let's go?" She looks down, looking for a ladder or something.