New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Heroes of the Golden Generation! [IC]

Unification Day

The streets of Refuge bustle as the capital city of the Human Kingdom of Xander plays host to a momentous day in the history of the Allied Nations. The preparations for the celebration have been months in the planning, and the streets of Refuge are festooned with brightly colored ribbons and flowers. Near every street is lined with stalls selling food, drink, or baubles of all kind, and every street corner and open square is filled with performers and street magicians showing off their skills and illusions all the while musicians and the voices of the crowd fill the air with joyous music and laughter. Some Gnomish skylights also are sent into the air adding to the cacophony as they burst in the air.

You are here with fellow members of your respective Factions. Some are here to witness and experience this historic event first hand (Gnomish Academy), others are here to keep the crowd safe of thieves and other forms of violence, or even just to break up drunken revelers who are starting to fight (Beasts of Faybar and Torch Bearers), and a few are required to be here for the ceremony and diplomatic talks that are soon to be underway between the nations (Monk of Bound Oath, Elven Initiate). All are here with some purpose in mind, but all can feel the energy of the crowds. There are children darting between adults. Older folks sit at shaded tables off the main thoroughfares smoking pipes, people watching or merely telling stories of times long past to any who listen.

Truly it was an idyllic day. A celebration of the hope of an enduring peace between the allied nations. The hope of sharing knowledge and resources to bring civilization itself to new heights leading to a brighter future than they could have reached individually. A hope that some wish to strangle in it's crib.

Each of you hear several Gnomish Sky Lights go off in the distance, but the sound is far too close to the ground. Even worse, black smoke and screams of pain and panic follow where the explosions occurred. Before you can respond to this terrible accident another sound reaches your ears, the sounds of blades clashing and voices crying out only to be horrifically cut short. The realization comes quickly to all of you that this wasn't an accident occurring.

The celebration was under attack.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Starting it off on a startling event!

Spoiler: Masson
    Show
    You arrived in Refuge with the Elven Representative. You were given time to wander the city alone before meeting back up with the Elven Representative at the Royal Square before the big speech that was scheduled.

Spoiler: Hannibal
    Show
    Hannibal is with the Abbot, you and a group of fellow monks were making your way to the Royal Square to officiate the unification treaties with Oaths.

Spoiler: Lena
    Show
    Lena is with her Supervisor. You were enjoying (or dragged along and told to enjoy) the festivities with your supervisor who brought you to the festival as a sort of field trip before starting a new project that she recommended you for. She has been tight lipped as to the nature of this project besides mentioning that it would be huge for any work you wish to take in the future.

Spoiler: Zo'dar
    Show
    You were working security alongside some more senior members of your Order. You are considered to be fresh from your initial training and were going to be assigned to a task after one last training patrol during the festivities.

Spoiler: Sekyrn
    Show
    The Beasts of Faybar are also present and performing security duties. Mostly they are just their to let their presence be known, but it was obviously insufficient to keep trouble at bay. You are with other members of the Beasts of Faybar, specifically two other young members of the Beasts, and an grizzled old member who's best fighting days are behind him acting as pack leader. The veteran is old, but seeing an elder active among the Beasts is telling of his strength and cunning to have survived so long.

You are free to act as you wish. You are not currently in combat, but chaos is beginning to spread around you.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Heroes of the Golden Generation! [IC]

As he doesn't have "Adventurer" stamped onto his forehead, and any skill in combat he has is incidental to being a well-rounded envoy, Messr. Masson heads to the sounds where his skills are truly in need .... not towards the sound of fighting, but towards the din of screams and pain.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hannibal reacts more notably to the sound of fighting than that of the explosion. He certainly wasn't here for security, but knew the event to be important nonetheless. He turns to the Abbot, waiting for an affirmative nod. Once he gets the approval, Hannibal starts off towards the noise, ready to help. Or potentially hurt, as the case may be.
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Lena had been 'enjoying' the festivities with Professor Spinwhistle. She'd much rather be in the garage rather than dealing with the hoity-toity-ness of this ceremony, whatever it was, but the Professor insisted. She'd also been planning something, but she'd been tight lipped over what. She had actually caught herself smiling when she heard the explosion (at least that would have been a bit of excitement), but once it became clear that it was an attack, she began to grab something from her pocket space. "Professor, we have to do something. Do you have anything on you that could help? Or do we just have this?" She says as she grabs her musket, powerder horn and bullets from the extradimensional space they were kept in.
    Last edited by digiman619; 2020-05-05 at 05:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Zo'dar closes his eyes as his armor bursts into a bright white light. He shouts to be heard above the crowd. "If you are unharmed, please exit the area calmly and allow us to handle matters and tend to the wounded! The Torch Bearers are here!" He points in a direction away from the explosions and sounds of battle. After it's clear whether the crowd payed any attention to him he turns toward his CO for orders.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Already showing off his bestial shape, Sekyrn looks at the old one for a second, mostly giving him his due respect in front of the younglings, then start running toward the source of the noise, avoiding panicked folks whenever possible by jumping at walls, still trying to get a glimpse at everything, looking for inspiration at the same time.

Show
    Using wall stunt to get there somewhat quicker.
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Before you manage to make it to far from where you started, the breeze picks up around you, and a voice you recognize travels on the wind. "Anthariat, return to my side at the Royal Square. It seems security arrangements have been found subpar for this event." The breeze dies down and the voice of Thariat fades with it.

What do you do?

Spoiler: Hannibal
    Show
    To Hannibal's surprise, the nod he was expecting from the Abbot doesn't come. Instead he turns to the other Monks and says, "Go." Your Brothers and Sisters from the Order salute before disappearing towards the sounds of chaos, the Abbot gestures to Hannibal to follow him as he continues on his course towards Royal Square commenting, "Trust in your Brothers and Sisters to handle this chaos. We need to see how the Alliance representatives fair."

What do you do in response to the Abbot's order?

Spoiler: Lena
    Show
    Ella is flapping her arms in a near panic as explosions sound and fighting occurs. "NO!!! What is all this?!? None of this was supposed to happen!" Before you can even begin to calm her down she rounds on you and cries out, "LENA! You gotta go to the Royal Square! Ugh this attack ruined EVERYTHING! There was going to be speeches and the big surprise in front of everybody. Go see the Federation representative Lena. I'll... I'll uh, go help people evacuate! Yeah!" With that Ella trots off almost getting squished by the fleeing crowd rather than directing it to safety.

What do you do?

Spoiler: Zo'Dar
    Show
    Turning to your CO, you catch him nodding in appreciation of your words before he gives you an order, "Zo'Dar, you will split off and head to Royal Square on the double. Avoid conflict when you can. Your objective is to rendezvous with the King and alliance representatives and render all aid and requests as needed. May the light guide your path." Your CO then turns to the rest of the squad and shouts, "The rest of you on me! We will purge these villainous scum that dared crawl out of their dark holes into the light!" With that the squad sanas Zo'Dar makes their way to the nearest sounds of fighting.

What do you do?

Spoiler: Sekyrn
    Show
    You just finished kicking off a burning building when you feel someone cuff you about your ear. It isn't damaging but the pain is enough to stop you cold. You turn around to meet the glare of the Veteran you left behind who you didn't even notice catch up with you until he struck. "Not so fast cub." the Veteran says in a low grumbling almost growl, "You're to head to the Royal Square. You can either go on your own or I drag you there by the scruff of your neck. Which is it gonna be?" Once he is assured that you will go to the square, the Veteran gathers up the other younglings and begins to hunt.

What do you do?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Lena groaned; she wanted to go help, but without a clear end point, she was forced to admit that she had a better than decent shot of just causing more panic. "Fine." Lena said, frustration clear in her voice. "I'll go. Just don't get yourself hurt while I'm gone."

And with that, she quickly loaded her musket, and began to run to Royal Square.

9. - Top - End - #9

Messr. Masson continues towards the sound of anguish and pain.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Grumbling as well, Sekyrn takes the direction of the Royal Square.
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hannibal had expected to be allowed to go, and was already halfway through a step when the Abbot stopped him. As his comrades head off, he falls forward, faceplanting on the ground before getting back up and sighing. "You've got a point. But why must you take my fun away? I mean, what are the odds that this is a feint to..." He sighs again, and starts walking in pace with the Abbot. "You're expecting an attack on the Representatives aren't you?"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Zo'dar clanks his shield against his chest plate in salute and dashes off toward King's Square. His glow cools back to candle light as he shouts for the crowd to make a hole. He strides forward with determination, but takes care to not step on anyone along the way.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    You reach the site of a bombing and the scene is like a tableaux depicting legends of hell. People are strewn about, either whole or in pieces, either wailing in pain or silent in death. Some brave souls move about to stop the fires which the bomb started, others try to aid the injured. The attackers seem to have left the explosive and moved on before detonation leaving the area relatively peaceful for now. In the distance you hear continued sounds of combat in the direction of Royal Square.

Near at hand you see a man carrying a girl. The man stumbles unsteadily across the street showing injuries from being caught near the blast. He is crying almost incoherently for a healer for his daughter who you assume to be the young lady in his arms. At a glance though you can see that the man's requests are hopeless as blood seeps from her orifices and she stares unblinkingly out at the world.

Spoiler: Those at Royal Square
    Show
    You arrive at the Royal Square. The way there was strangely peaceful but strewn with signs of combat, and it is now clear to see why. The square is currently the site of a melee. The fight is in an arc around the grand stage prepared for the ceremony scheduled later in the day. On one side you see city guardsmen blocking the path to the stage and on the other side are masked men and women trying to break through to the stage where the representatives are.

Closer at hand you each notice that you are not alone in arriving at the scene late. Those just arriving to the scene of the conflict include the semi-humanoid form of a Beast of Faybar in some feline-humanoid form, two monks one older and one a young man, a half-orc knight in glowing armor, and a female gnoll carrying a Federation weapon with her.

Before the rest of you can react the Old Monk speaks, "You wished to have your fun Hannibal? Well have at it then. Just remember that if they show mercy be fair and show the same courtesy. Of course if they seek your life it is fair to respond in kind." The monk ends his speech by gesturing to the gathered Masked forces.

What do you do?

14. - Top - End - #14

Messr. Masson begins triage, but to do that, he finds anyone that looks like they might help and starts to try to organize them.
    Spoiler: Priorities
    Show
    I don't know if you are doing round-by-round or general, so ...

1) Establish scene safety, if necessary.
    2) Communicate orders to anyone who who might help, including calling for volunteers.
    3) Begin triage.
    4) Begin life-saving efforts.
    5) After life-saving efforts, deal with mass trauma, and then work on down from there.

I expect I may be out-of-play for awhile. Feel free to liberally give folks temporary hp when needed if they are bleeding until I can stop the bleeding itself.

He will not utilize any real healing, as with wild magic - if it should happen - might be truly dangerous in such a crowded place.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Lena rolled her eyes at the older man. "Okay, I don't know who you guys are or why you're here, but I'm gonna start shooting the people attacking this place. I recommend you do the same." She pauses, realizing she's the only one with a firearm. "Or punch it, or whatever it is you people do." She then turns and heads towards the masked intruders, as a circuit like pattern flowed from her hands and into her gun.

Show
    SA: Enhance my gun with Merciful (+1) and Shadowake (+1). This will make it do an additional 2d6 NL damage. (Shadowake does 1d6 NL if it would hit touch AC but miss regular AC, but since I'm attacking their Touch anyway, it's effectively just another +1d6 NL. (We'll want prisoners to interrogate, after all.)
    MA: Get within range.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

The were-mustelid moves closer and growl at the masked one seemingly most dangerous.

"As the heroes appeared on the battleground,
    Masked ones were already inbound.
    "

Show
    Basically, move action to get nearby, then standard action to challenge the masked one that seems to be the most dangerous (which is an opener).
    Current sequence : 1/5
    Inspired sequence bonuses : +1 to attack, damage, and CL (next bonus at sequence 4)
    The one challenged has +2 to attacks that targets only me, and -2 to attacks that does not include me as a target (and are aware of it, not of the duration though : 4 rounds). I have AC 20 against that one, 19 against the other.

Also, if any of those masked one are in melee range after those 2 actions, I'll be counting coup as a swift action : it's a touch attack that does nothing except count for the sequence.

(1d20+6)[16]

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Yes yes yes, I remember the rules. Should I attempt to bring one in alive even if they are after my life?" Hannibal smiles as he starts slowly away from his mentor, drawing upon his mental power to augment his body as he had done so many times before.

Spoiler
    Show
    Slowly walking towards the fight while activating my bound fists.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

"Matters not to me." the Old monk replys to Hannibal.

After your discussions among yourselves, one of the Masked ones near the back of the fighting turns around, crying out in surprise, "Enemies!" Which causes a few others at the back to turn and face you all.

COMBAT START

R1T24

Hannibal, a total of five enemies have turned to face you and the others who have arrived at the square. Two wield reach weapons and shields, the rest are dual wielding knives. The spear wielders are slightly closer and the dual wielders are arrayed behind them.

What do you do?

Show
    Graphic of enemy positioning. S = spearman, D = dual wielder.
    --------------------
    D-----D-----D
    ---S------S---
    --------------------

So pulling all this into an initiative order. I am somewhat stealing Lostsole's system of running combat. You can either keep your above actions and rolls when your turn comes or Adjust them as you see fit depending on the changing situation. I mostly wanted to give the time before the battle for preparatory buffs. So Lena can have her musket enchanted and get her full round of actions, Sekyrn can do something else that doesn't target an enemy to begin your sequence (if such a thing is an option), and Zo'Dar can standard action to buff himself before entering the fray if he wishes.
    Last edited by bcool999; 2020-05-13 at 09:27 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Through force of will you manage to rally the nearby victims into a somewhat organized group working towards mitigating this disaster. Groups now work to search rubble for survivors and fires are quickly combatted. Those with the skills to assist begin aiding the wounded, and others work on gathering and guarding the dead should they rise.

As Masson begins his magical healing to extend lives with temporary vigor, the man carrying his deceased daughter approaches you. "Master! Good master healer, please save my daughter!" the man cries as he kneels down before you and gently lays his daughter down for you to examine.

20. - Top - End - #20

The very first thing Messr. Masson does, even before actual triage, is to give her them both (Medic and patient) a bulwark). Then, he triages the young girl to get a sense of the extent of her injuries and how to begin.
    Spoiler: MM's crunch
    Show
    Provide her with +3 thp.
    Conduct Heal check for diagnostics and stopping immediate blood loss (1d20+5)[19]
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Lena moved east to line up her target and took aim at one of the spear men. While it would have the added benefit of clearing a path for the melee folks, that's not why she did it. If she lined up her she right, she should be able to not only hit the masked marauder, but also the knife wielding one behind him.

Show
    FrA: Spend SP to maintain enchantment
    MA: Move into position.
    AA: Attack a spearman. (1d20+7)[24] vs touch; +1 to that if I moved 10+ feet during the move action. (1d12+1)[3] +(2d6)[4]; all NL. If this hits, I hit the knife guy behind him. (1d20+3)[8] vs touch; +1 if I moved 10+ feet. (1d12+1)[10] + (2d6)[5], all NL.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Zo'dar points his blade at the spearman (spearwoman? Masks make matters muddled.) to the far right. "Drop your weapons, lay face down, and submit to justice. This is your only warning."

Spoiler: Combat
    Show
    Move action: Challenge the far right spearperson. They get +2 to hit me, -2 to hit anyone else, and I get +1 to hit and +2 damage against them. All of that lasts 4 rounds.
    AOOs: Active defense on Zo'dar granting him +2 AC and DR 2 on the next 2 attacks against him this round.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Making it easy on me. And the others wonder why you're my favorite." Hannibal puts on an unusual smile and suddenly breaks into a dash towards the nearest foe, bringing his fist into his targets chest while injecting his magic into the punch, attempting to disturb the bloodflow of his target.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move action: Move in to one of the ones in front. There should be no concern for movement with my 50ft move speed.
    Standard action: Spell Attack (Exsanguinating Strike)

Attack roll (1d20+8)[26]
    Damage (1d6+5)[6]
    If the attack connects, the target starts taking 1 Bleed damage from Blooded Strike, and similar suffers a -1 penalty to Weapon Attack Rolls for the duration of the bleed.
    In addition, the target must make a Fort Save DC 16 or be affected by my Blood Control, using my Migraine talent to cause it to be sickened.

Depending on how you consider the order of events, the target may suffer a -1 penalty to save for me wielding a weapon that had dealt bleed damage in the past minute from Bloodmonger, and the target may also suffer a -4 penalty to save for suffering from bleed damage. This only applies if you treat the action as sequential and not if it is treated as simultaneous.

If Blood Control succeeds, he will concentrate on it at the very least until the next round, so concentration checks will be needed for any attack he might take.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Your spell fails to take hold, and it soon becomes clear why when your examination shows that the young woman is dead. Your examination indicates that she died instantly the blast having ruptured her internal organs including her heart. The man looks at you expectantly, obviously either not realizing she is dead or deep in denial about the fact.

R1T23

"Making it easy on me. And the others wonder why you're my favorite." Hannibal puts on an unusual smile and suddenly breaks into a dash towards the nearest foe, bringing his fist into his targets chest while injecting his magic into the punch, attempting to disturb the bloodflow of his target. The blow connects for 6 damage and Hannibal feels the enemy fall under his magic's control as his opponent's head turns red from excessive blood flow.

Sekyrn, the young monk has landed a blow on one of the spearmen bringing you into the rhythm of combat. What do you do?

Show
    Rhythm of combat = Sequence was started.

25. - Top - End - #25

Spoiler: Messr. Masson
    Show
    Messr. Masson shakes his head and motions for the man to take the girl. "It's too late. She is an innocent who has gone onto her reward, out of the clutches of evil."

He moves on to his triage.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Moving in toward the left side, Sekyrn does his best to draw the attention of the top left dual wielder.

"Thank you for in your downfall taking part
    So that it turns into a piece of art.
    "

Show
    Move action : closing the gap
    Standard action : Challenging the top left one. They get +2 to hit me, -2 to hit anyone else, and I get +1 dodge to AC and +1 sacred to saves against them.
    Swift action : Counting coup, hitting as a touch attack doing nothing. If it hits, I'm at sequence 4, giving all my allies +2 to hit, damage, and caster level. If it doesn't, I'm at sequence 3, for a +1 instead (but the first action that would count as sequence will bring me at 4, so just moving in melee range would count (not in a charge though).
    (1d20+7)[14]
    Last edited by silphael; 2020-05-15 at 05:45 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

R1T21

Sekyrn closes in gracefully on the Masked one on the far left, challenging him to combat and landing a delicate touch in an invitation to respond. Respond he does.

A swift flurry of moves attempts to throw Sekyrn off balance, but the wary weremink sees through the deception. The first blade is dodged easily, but the second only barely avoids Sekyrn's throat scoring a cut on the collarbone for 5 Slashing.

R1T20

The dual wielding foe in the middle of the enemy formation steps forward, shoulder to shoulder with the spearmen and in range of Hannibal. He too darts and dips trying to confuse the Monk managing to catch Hannibal off guard. Both of his strikes are however stymied by Hannibal's magical protections.

R1T14

The spearman struck by Hannibal finally reacts to the strike, coughing up blood and backing away for a moment trying to shake off the effects of Hannibal's magic and succeeds in doing so.

R1T13

Zo'Dar battle has been joined. What do you do?

Show
    Enemies are flip flopping between amazing rolls and crap rolls.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Zo'dar snarls. He gave them a chance, and they picked the hard way.

He dashes toward the spearman on the right and brings his blade to bear.

Spoiler: Combat
    Show
    Free action: Berserking (-2 AC and reflex, +6 temp HP, DR 3/-).
    Full-Round action: Charge the far right spearman with a long sword (-1 AC, +2 to attack).
    AOOs: Active Defense on twice on Zo'dar (+2 AC, DR 2/- for the next two attacks made against him this round.

Current Numbers: 37/37 HP, 0/12 delayed damage pool, AC 18, DR 5/-, +0 to Reflex saves.

Charge Attack: (1d20+8)[10], (1d8+2)[10]

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

R1T10

Zo'dar snarls. He gave them a chance, and they picked the hard way.

He dashes toward the spearman on the Left and brings his blade to bear. But his swing goes wide against the Spearman.

In response to Zo'Dar's attack, the spearman moves back a bit and stabs forth with his spear. The spear Impales Zo'Dar dealing 5 Mod Damage. With a cruel smirk, the villain reverses his thrust, ripping the weapon from Zo'Dar's guts for 7 Bleed causing Zo'Dar great pain.

Show
    Swordchucks roll a DC 13 Fortitude Save or be Staggered.

R1T7

The far right Dual Wielder moves forward to flank Hannibal. She unleashes a flurry of cuts towards him. The fist of which he dodges by a hair's breadth which puts him in position to easily sidestep the second.

R1T4

Lena's turn.

Spoiler: Digiman
    Show
    Since so much movement happened since you posted your action. Please use the below map to plan but you may keep your rolls if you perform the same action with new targets. Lena is approximately 25-30 feet south of Hannibal's position.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Lena was planning on trying something fancy when she saw that the human was being surrounded by two of the masked men. She moved into position about 15 feet west to get an angle on both of his attackers and fired a shot at each.

Show
    MA: Move 10 feet west. If I've done my math right, that should put me 30 feet south of MDW2
    SA: Using Barrage (-2 to both shots). I have moved 10 feet (+1 from H.E.R.O. Tag Along) and they are both within 30 feet (+1 via Barrage Sphere), so they cancel out.
    Attack 1 vs MDW3 (1d20+6)[22] vs touch, (1d12+1)[11] + (1d6)[4] (merciful) + (1d6)[4] (shadowwake); all NL
    Attack 2 vs MDW2 (1d20+6)[8] vs touch, (1d12+1)[3] + (1d6)[5] (merciful) + (1d6)[6] (shadowwake); all NL