New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: IC: Dragon Campaign - Wyrmlinghood

Metztli jumps back and drops the meat. "Great Feathered Serpent it speaks!" His companion puts a hand on the handle of his weapon and gets his shield up.
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Esprit15 View Post
    Metztli jumps back and drops the meat. "Great Feathered Serpent it speaks!" His companion puts a hand on the handle of his weapon and gets his shield up.
    What, no! I'm friendly. Not like those guys with all the dragon eggs....
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

The other humanoid's eyes narrow. "Others, you said. And they have... dragon eggs?" They both look at each other and then back at you. "I had heard stories, but I never expected to meet one of your kind... Please, tell me, how many of them were there? What race were they? Tabaxi?" After some thought, you do remember that they were some kind of orc. Given their skin, you're inclined to guess that they're called either ash or grey orcs - you didn't pay much attention to when Mother and Father were describing the humanoid lesser races.

Show

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Eight grey orcs. I offered an alliance with them, but they refused, maybe you will be more agreeable. They were hired to deliver what they thought were gemstones but were actually eggs. Some of them started hatching, but the other hatchlings left some time ago.

I know they intend to meet someone after the rain stops, that might be the 'tabaxi' you speak of, I don't know . I am unsure if they mean to act in good faith or punish the buyer for lying about the nature of their cargo.

With that, Caej Zua'autl grabs the meat and starts eating.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

The two humanoids share look, before the near one motions his head deeper into the cave. Metztli runs off, footsteps echoing in the darkness.

"Well, those uninvited guests will not be darkening our doorstep much longer. I am not empowered by my people to forge any alliances beyond those personal, but if you are interested, perhaps I could take you to meet someone who could. Would that be agreeable?"

Show

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I would like that very much.

Caej Zua'autl preens! This was going along so well!
    GNU Terry Pratchett

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

For about ten minutes, you continue deeper until some of you feel like the area is getting wider. Soon, you see a dim, greenish glow from the distance. "Ah, Huizilhuicaapetl (who-EE-zil-who-ee-KAH-peh-tle) is up that way." Your Tongues ability translates this as "South Port Town." After another minute, the cave opens back up into a wide cavern, the earlier light apparently provided by luminous fungi that grow on the walls and ceiling. In the center of the cavern you can see buildings of numerous sizes, from single story shacks to three and four story stone complexes that appear to be been hewn from the rocks. Further off, only visible because of its height bringing it close to the glowing ceiling, is a towering step pyramid. Even from a distance, the stone of the pyramid is clearly different from the rest of the buildings and the walls you had seen up to this point.

Equally striking to you are the people. While many of them look like your guide, though often not in the same military garb, a non-insignificant number of them are more reptilian in nature: tails, serpentine lower bodies, and even whole bodies covered in scales up to the snake-like head, make their way along the main and side streets of the city before you.

Show

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

It strikes me that a set up this nice might not immediately accept me as their new god. On the other hand, they seem willing to let me work my way up from "trusted ally "
    GNU Terry Pratchett

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feathersnow View Post
    It strikes me that a set up this nice might not immediately accept me as their new god. On the other hand, they seem willing to let me work my way up from "trusted ally "
    Your guide continues, stopping at a squat, wood and stone building at the edge of town, attended by one of the more serpentine figures. "This humble one wishes to speak to one of our Most Blessed. A clutch of eggs was brought to our doorstep by intruders. While the intruders are being dealt with, this little one here," he says, gesturing to you, "comes offering alliance. May I guide them to Itzcoatl's residence?" The serpentine man gives you a harsh look - or maybe friend, it's hard to tell when the eyes don't blink or squint - and then nods. "Yes, but not today. I shall send word to him. Hopefully you can have your meeting tomorrow morning."

Metztli looks down to you as you both leave the building and continue into the stone city. "Hm. Well, that is unfortunate, but unsurprising. It is getting late - do you have a place outside to rest? If not, I'm sure I could make something somewhat comfortable at my own residence."

Show

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I regret to say I have nowhere to stay. I would be honored to share your residence for the night.

Letting her stay as a guest in his own lair! What a show of trust and esteem!! She really was making progress!
    GNU Terry Pratchett

11. - Top - End - #101
    Bugbear in the Playground

There's not so much a mechanism as there is a roughly built set of boards bound by nails on a hinge. The inside of the building is quaint - a small fire burns in a stone firepit, smoke rising up a basic chimney structure. A table with two chairs, one heavily coated in dust, sits by the window. A few books with worn covers sit on a shelf. The walls are covered in animal trophies and skins - black bears, boars, deer, as well as a feathery belt that you recognize as that of an owlbear, which seems to be a centerpiece.
    A hunter's cabin? How disappointing. I would have thought to find something more worthwhile at the end of a trail. Ah, well, I suppose I should return to our meeting place. Unless... I think I shall take a closer look first.

Zaratii pokes around a bit, trying to see if she can find anything hidden and of interest. If not, she will return to the meeting point.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search: (1d20+5)[21]
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Spoiler: Other Avatars
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

You do a surprisingly thorough run down of the cabin, but find nothing particularly interesting - a few quivers of arrows with differently feathered tips are among your more interesting finds, a few copper and silver in a pouch underneath the bed (whether you take them or not is up to you), some nicer clothes in a small wardrobe, and some food (rice flour bread, dried meat, forest mushrooms, etc.). Whoever lives here (probably that Tabaxi), they're not a particularly wealthy person, or they keep their really valuable stuff on their person.

You head back to the place you all agreed to meet at, to find that neither Sotet nor Khrahoa have returned from lair hunting, and the sun is getting quite low. At least the rain has let up considerably.

Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eonn View Post
    Khrakoa shakes the water off his wings and folds them by his side. He considers what he saw from the air as Sotet departs. A lair isn't built in a day, he figures, despite wanting very much simply to stumble upon an empty lair filled with gold and kobolds to worship him.

He turns and begins a hike up the rock slopes. Maybe it's good that there was no cave waiting for him to claim. It made the best spot, the highest peak of the mountain, the uncontested winner for a place to lair. From there, he'd be able to survey much of the domain. Even better, if the Tabaxi wanted to get at him, they'd be in for an uphill battle. Khrakoa silently smirks at his clever joke.

"Then I will seek a lair for myself as well." The red wyrmling says as he leaves the others. "Don't follow me, Gold. And best of luck finding a suitable lair for yourself, Blue."
    The small cave you settle in keeps you shielded from the elements, and you spend the remainder of the afternoon exploring its depths. It spirals and snakes, but any paths become a dead end after around a third of a mile, or become so small that you cannot fit.

The morning sun awakens you, and with the sky no longer blotted by clouds, you can see an expanse of forest below you, stretching off to the horizon. Your domain. Your territory. With the rain gone and your higher vantage, you can also see something that you could not before to the south: The ocean. A thin blue strip that you can only barely make out as different from the sky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadguy View Post
    Sotet remained in the water. She was in no condition to fight a possible aerial or land predator that might see her as an easy meal now. Besides, she had food. The body of the reptile would age nicely at the bottom of her new domain.

Once she was at the bottom, she tested the firmness. She hoped it was soft enough to dig in. To hold her pool of acid, it would need to be dug out to the bedrock. That massive task could wait though. Sotet had felt a number of things while inside the crocodile. She was interested in what they were, so she combed the inside of the carcass and the bottom.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Knowledge (Nature) vs Pond (spring / runoff fed, type of bottom) [roll0]
    Search vs stomach contents [roll1]
    (I think I already answered this before, but quoting for ease.)

Spoiler
    Show
    Heal your HD+CON Modifier as you rest for the evening.

You rest for the night, licking your wounds and absentmindedly nibbling on the body of the creature that made the foolish mistake of thinking you to be prey. Being in the mountain's shadow, morning only barely trickles through the thick branches of trees, and even less so into the bottom of a pond, and you find yourself roused more by restlessness than sunlight.
    You do a surprisingly thorough run down of the cabin, but find nothing particularly interesting - a few quivers of arrows with differently feathered tips are among your more interesting finds, a few copper and silver in a pouch underneath the bed (whether you take them or not is up to you), some nicer clothes in a small wardrobe, and some food (rice flour bread, dried meat, forest mushrooms, etc.). Whoever lives here (probably that Tabaxi), they're not a particularly wealthy person, or they keep their really valuable stuff on their person.

You head back to the place you all agreed to meet at, to find that neither Sotet nor Khrahoa have returned from lair hunting, and the sun is getting quite low. At least the rain has let up considerably.
    You shelter yourself from the drizzle in a little alcove, waiting for your clutchmates. Eventually, sleep takes you before they arrive.

Morning comes, not particularly bright as the sun appears to be blocked by much of the mountain. Your clutchmates still have not returned. Hopefully they are well. Perhaps they have already found lairs?

I regret to say I have nowhere to stay. I would be honored to share your residence for the night.

Letting her stay as a guest in his own lair! What a show of trust and esteem!! She really was making progress!
    Metztli leads you to a small building, one of the nicer ones in his district. The inside is modest - a bed, a place to prepare and eat food, and a small altar in the back, depicting a sun with a single, reptilian eye in the center with several candles circled around it. The Yuan-ti pulls out a rough blanket and places it on the side of the building opposite the bed.

(If there is anything you wish to ask your host, feel free.)

Morning comes, or at least you think it does. Underground here, it doesn't make as much sense to measure time by the sun, but your host assures you that it is. Metztli readies a breakfast of soup that appears to have been left from the previous night - some kind of meat, stewed with mushrooms. "So what terms do you expect out of this alliance?"

Show

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Khrakoa lounges in the mouth of his cave, basking sleepily in the early morning's light. He admired the land before him which stretched to the sea. It was all his, too. At least, it should be though he knew the other hatchlings would contest such a claim. He wondered what treasures lay out there that he could not claim, what hunting grounds and mortal dwellings he could not exploit as he played at being diplomatic. Though he knew it was pointless; images of piles of gold, gems, magic items, all tucked safely inside a fortress carved into the mountain by an army of kobolds sparkled in his day dreams.

Soon, he promised himself. Until then, he had to refrain from giving the others a reason to unit against him.

Lazily, he spread his wings and stepped from his perch, gliding down the mountain side to where he was supposed to meet with the other wyrmlings.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Morning comes, or at least you think it does. Underground here, it doesn't make as much sense to measure time by the sun, but your host assures you that it is. Metztli readies a breakfast of soup that appears to have been left from the previous night - some kind of meat, stewed with mushrooms. "So what terms do you expect out of this alliance?"
    In the short term, I expect to be put to work, possibly as a fighter or some manner of scholar. In exchange I would like a steady supply of food, and a permanent dwelling I can secure to my liking. I also would like treasure or the opportunity to loot or otherwise earn treasure.

Eventually, I hope to earn political power and followers, but I expect that will take years or longer.
    Last edited by Feathersnow; 2020-06-13 at 09:36 PM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

In the short term, I expect to be put to work, possibly as a fighter or some manner of scholar. In exchange I would like a steady supply of food, and a permanent dwelling I can secure to my liking. I also would like treasure or the opportunity to loot or otherwise earn treasure.

Eventually, I hope to earn political power and followers, but I expect that will take years or longer.
    Metztli chuckles. "We'll see about combat. Scholar... Well, you're not exactly one wizened by their years of experience," he says with a bit of a chuckle. "As for 'treasure,' our soldiers are paid, though you may find the sum paltry. That said, it is quite possible that looting will come up in the next few years of service... But who knows.

"Political power though... that I think would be difficult. I do not know whether one of your kind can even become a Child of Merrshaulk."

Show

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Metztli chuckles. "We'll see about combat. Scholar... Well, you're not exactly one wizened by their years of experience," he says with a bit of a chuckle. "As for 'treasure,' our soldiers are paid, though you may find the sum paltry. That said, it is quite possible that looting will come up in the next few years of service... But who knows.

"Political power though... that I think would be difficult. I do not know whether one of your kind can even become a Child of Merrshaulk."
    Hmmm..... It is a long term goal, and I may not stay here forever. For now, I need to grow, and I wish to accumulate wealth. If my needs are seen to, even a less than impressive rate of income can build up over time. Time is a resource I have.

Privately, Caej Zua'autl is thinking she might be getting a raw deal here. Working for pay plus upkeep sounds beneath her... but some part of her nags that, even as demeaning as a job might be, it is the most secure way to advance her long term goals.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmm..... It is a long term goal, and I may not stay here forever. For now, I need to grow, and I wish to accumulate wealth. If my needs are seen to, even a less than impressive rate of income can build up over time. Time is a resource I have.

Privately, Caej Zua'autl is thinking she might be getting a raw deal here. Working for pay plus upkeep sounds beneath her... but some part of her nags that, even as demeaning as a job might be, it is the most secure way to advance her long term goals.
    "Indeed it is. Well, let us see if Itzcoatl is ready to meet us." The Yuan-ti leads you deeper into the city. As you travel, you see that the Yuan-ti that resemble Metztli are the most numerous, and are often running from one place to the other, while the more serpentine Yuan-ti appear to spend their time giving directions and orders to the humanoid ones. As you both continue, you get a few looks, and even children asking "Can I touch Mr. Guardsman's new pet?"

As was visible from further off, the stone in the inner sections of town seems different from the stone that makes up the outer buildings. While most of what you had seen seems to have been carved from plain, soft stone local to the area (many of the buildings being part of the cave itself), as you near the tall building in the center of town, the workmanship becomes more fine, brick buildings start to line the roads, and more colorful stone becomes common. Polished granite and similar stone seems to be a popular base and brick material, at first appearing just as scattered bricks in a building, until you eventually reach a large building that seems to shine even in the dimly lit cave, every brick being finely polished to make maximal use of the bio-luminescent fungus that grows on the cave ceiling and walls. Another thing is noticeable to you as Metztli motions for you to halt and steps inside the building, alone: Skulls. Around the large, open hole windows in what you imagine must be a religious temple, each brick has a single, bleached white, humanoid skull, embedded into the stone itself.

After about a minute, Metztli steps back out, a look of pride on his face. "Itzcoatl eagerly awaits you." You are led inside, to an equally sparkling interior. Along the walls alternate everburning stones and proper wooden torches, the former burning without regard to the airflow and the latter swaying as though to welcome the new arrivals. The interior has several support columns, and arranged to create concentric circles are three circular rugs, woven to have holes for the columns. The outer one, green and blue, appears to depict continents and oceans in an abstract artistic style. The second is a nearly black purple that is inter-spaced with stars. The central circle is simply black, so dark as to not have any particularly visible depth or texture. In the back of the building, a large creature, entirely serpentine except for two powerful arms at its side, is closing a book with no title and placing it on a desk somewhat scattered with papers, inkwells, and some paperweights. His body is covered in religious tattoos, and he wears little more than a cloth belt, to which are tied some pouches, and around his neck, a metal symbol of a sun with a serpentine eye in the center.

"Welcome!" the creatures says, lifting his arms high and lowering his head in a bow, before rising back to his full height. "Child of Bahamut and Tiamat, it is a pleasure and a privilege to have a creature of such noble birth come to our humble city. Please, feel free to sit or lie down on the second circle," he continues, gesturing to the rug adorned with stars. The Yaun-ti abomination slithers forward, setting himself in the central, dark ring. "Metztli has told me that you, still wet from the egg, are interested in some level of alliance, or joining our beloved society." Itzcoatl seems to look at you for some sign of agreement, before continuing. "I suppose first, what do you know about the region here? Why do you wish to join the Children of Merrshaulk?" His tone is jovial and powerful - it reminds you a little of Father's voice in your dreams.

Show

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I confess to knowing little,
    honored one. I know you live here and are clearly a vhf powerful society with much to recommend it.
    I know that you live on an island, and that you share it with something called the "The Tabaxi." There are orcs on the island, but they aren't from here. They also aren't friendly or welcome.

I am offering to join your society for the same reasons I imagine most people stay in a society, the superior opportunities it would provide for long term security and short term sustenance. I hope to advance in status over time, but I am not sure that will be possible under your form of government.
    If not, I suspect I will eventually leave with no hard feelings after my work for you has allowed me to secure greater size and wealth.
    I am under the impression I will eventually grow into the ability to take other forms and bind soulstuff to myself. Once I have those abilities, I feel I will be come into my own and I will be clearly worthy of greater status than a mere hireling. If I can not get it here, even then, I will seek it far away from here,
    where I need not come into conflict with you.

Looking back at the day so far, things did not go as poorly as she feared. The little ones did not show her the proper reverence, but that was ignorance rather than malice. This Itzcoatl seemed polite enough and the truth was, being alone and living on rats seemed beneath her. There was no point in being glorious with no one to appreciate it. More to the point, she suspected she would run out of prey eventually, and it was better to deal with the humanoids now while she had the maximum amount of good will.

Having a job wasn't, she suspected, the living as a dragon ought to, but it was a decent start.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Sotet awoke slowly. One of the joys of muddied water is the filtering of such harsh morning light. She swam to the mangrove roots before surfacing. Climbing onto the tree, she shook away the moisture gingerly. While feeling better, the punctures left by the reptile's large teach were still very much open.

They will make fine scars. She thought as she opened her wings. The appearance of a grizzled veteran suited her. It was misleading enough to be useful, considering how poorly she fared in a physical struggle.

Beating her wings several times until she could remain aloft, Sotet couldn't help but enjoy her first flight. The weather had been too poor last night. As she fly close to the tree canopy, heading back up toward the mountain, she took the opportunity to scout the terrain that fed into her new domain.

Show

Healed 6 hp (16 / 34)
    Spot vs forest (1d20+1)[16]

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

I confess to knowing little,
    honored one. I know you live here and are clearly a vhf powerful society with much to recommend it.
    I know that you live on an island, and that you share it with something called the "The Tabaxi." There are orcs on the island, but they aren't from here. They also aren't friendly or welcome.

I am offering to join your society for the same reasons I imagine most people stay in a society, the superior opportunities it would provide for long term security and short term sustenance. I hope to advance in status over time, but I am not sure that will be possible under your form of government.
    If not, I suspect I will eventually leave with no hard feelings after my work for you has allowed me to secure greater size and wealth.
    I am under the impression I will eventually grow into the ability to take other forms and bind soulstuff to myself. Once I have those abilities, I feel I will be come into my own and I will be clearly worthy of greater status than a mere hireling. If I can not get it here, even then, I will seek it far away from here,
    where I need not come into conflict with you.

Looking back at the day so far, things did not go as poorly as she feared. The little ones did not show her the proper reverence, but that was ignorance rather than malice. This Itzcoatl seemed polite enough and the truth was, being alone and living on rats seemed beneath her. There was no point in being glorious with no one to appreciate it. More to the point, she suspected she would run out of prey eventually, and it was better to deal with the humanoids now while she had the maximum amount of good will.

Having a job wasn't, she suspected, the living as a dragon ought to, but it was a decent start.
    "I wouldn't call them 'unfriendly' specifically. More..." he searches for the word, and to your surprise, switches to Draconic, "cautious. They're not from this island, as you said. Some call them pirates, others raiders, wanderers, traders. They are not a settled people like us, so they prefer to be more careful with strangers.

"As to your joining us... I cannot blame you. It's a dangerous world out there. I am sorry to say though that you would never be able to advance, as you suggest. We could keep you on a sort of payroll, a residential mercenary, but you are not one of the souled races. As such, you cannot truly become a Child of Merrshaulk. There is a certain order that must be maintained, I hope you understand."

Quote Originally Posted by Deadguy View Post
    Sotet awoke slowly. One of the joys of muddied water is the filtering of such harsh morning light. She swam to the mangrove roots before surfacing. Climbing onto the tree, she shook away the moisture gingerly. While feeling better, the punctures left by the reptile's large teach were still very much open.

They will make fine scars. She thought as she opened her wings. The appearance of a grizzled veteran suited her. It was misleading enough to be useful, considering how poorly she fared in a physical struggle.

Beating her wings several times until she could remain aloft, Sotet couldn't help but enjoy her first flight. The weather had been too poor last night. As she fly close to the tree canopy, heading back up toward the mountain, she took the opportunity to scout the terrain that fed into her new domain.

Show

Healed 6 hp (16 / 34)
    Spot vs forest [roll0]
    The river snakes back and forth, lazy over the fairly flat forest. You see to the south, several dozen miles away, a blue band of sky - no, that can't be right. You search your memories of The Story, and find Mother and Father discussing the oceans and seas of the world - vast bodies of salty water full of life (and danger). You also notice that the forest near the river appears to have trails that wind off of it.

Show

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Khrakoa glides down, landing gracefully. He surveys the area where the dragons had planned to meet, finding only Zaratii there at the moment.

"Greetings, Blue. Were you able to find a place to lair?" He says, showing genuine interest. "It is a new day, however. We should search for something to kill and eat, then begin surveying this island. It is imperative we know of anything that could become hostile to us so that we may find where they nest before they do the same to us."

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Well, I am sorry that I will never truly fit in in here, but... I am willing to work for you until I am come into my own, and I am willing to swear to leave in peace when the time comes that we must go our separate ways.

Instinct and reason warred inside her, but in the end... there was only one choice. The people were rich and she was very young and very small. She needed all the help she could get.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Though conflicted about both the loss of dignity in acknowledging an authority above her own whims and the constitutional dislike of commitment common to all Chaotic Dragons, Caej Zua'autl is quite sincere in attempting to secure a multi-year commitment as a mercenary to the Yuan-Ti and has no intention of betraying their trust when she inevitably leaves.

(1d20+3)[23]
    GNU Terry Pratchett

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I am sorry that I will never truly fit in in here, but... I am willing to work for you until I am come into my own, and I am willing to swear to leave in peace when the time comes that we must go our separate ways.

Instinct and reason warred inside her, but in the end... there was only one choice. The people were rich and she was very young and very small. She needed all the help she could get.
    Itzcoatl looks at you closely, and silence hangs in the air for several seconds. The serpentine man gives off the aura of someone who could be a very potent ally to keep, or a frightening enemy if crossed. Finally, a deep sigh cuts the silence, and he smiles. "Perhaps I am a fool. But I also am not one to turn down gifts that offer themselves. And though we share a different heritage, I do feel some level of kinship to another scaled one.

"You'll be given a flat stipend of a gold a week, to be paid in silver pieces. Whatever you collect in battle, outside of that which you are expressly ordered to hand over as part of a job, is yours to keep - money, slaves, items, and so forth. It is slightly more than we pay our traditional infantry - I hope this shows my own good will toward you, and that this good will will be repaid."
    He gets up and slithers to the back of the room, looking at a map of the local area.
    Spoiler: The Map
    Show

"Right now, we are in an uneasy peace with the Tabaxi you mentioned earlier. They are a divided people, cities trading and warring with each other based on their politics and attempts at power, but the forests prevent any island spanning empire from persisting for more than a generation. But when we first came to this island, they seemed to unite almost overnight, and drove us back into these mountains. The problems that they face in making a united island are the same ones we would face in a slow conquering, which leaves us at a standstill. And slowly expanding out of the mountains is equally worthless an endeavor - numerous hunters and hermits populate the forests, and will happily disappear into the jungle or down the river to warn of attacks. We're surrounded by enemies who have then trapped us in a natural moat..." He looks at you, and smiles. "Though if something besides a Blessed of Merrshaulk were to begin attacking Tabaxi that live alone, that might be helpful. And I certainly would love to collect some feline pelts."

Show

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Oh. The Tabaxi must be some kind of cat. Caej Zua'autl snickers and grins.

I see, you want me to terrorize their outlying outposts, so they no longer have such a good warning system for your larger forays. Bring back skins as proof of the job done, keep anything else I find unless you specifically say otherwise. Point me in a direction and give me some salt to preserve the hides and I'll be back in a week to prove I earned my first pay.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Oh. The Tabaxi must be some kind of cat. Caej Zua'autl snickers and grins.

I see, you want me to terrorize their outlying outposts, so they no longer have such a good warning system for your larger forays. Bring back skins as proof of the job done, keep anything else I find unless you specifically say otherwise. Point me in a direction and give me some salt to preserve the hides and I'll be back in a week to prove I earned my first pay.
    The serpentine man tilts his head to the ceiling before looking back at you. ”I’m just saying what would make future plans easier for us if things were to boil to a point that peace was no longer possible.

“As for any supplies you need,”
    he takes a small bag from his desk, the distinct jingle of coins reaching your ears, “your first week’s pay is in advance.”
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gain a small bag with 10sp. They have the same symbol you saw on the alter in Metztli’s house stamped on one side, and text that you cannot read on the other side.

Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

The black's flight circled slightly, taking her from the forest toward the meeting place. She paused in her flight, hovering for a moment to assess the area. Upon seeing both the blue and red, she descended, landing softly.

The wounds from Sotet's struggles were readily visible but they did not seem to hinder her movements drastically. She inclined her head in greeting. "The first night has been overcome for all, it appears. Hopefully, you both found some respite from the storms."

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Khrakoa looks over the wounds on the black dragon's body. "What tried to eat you?" He says with a smirk.

"Anyhow, to reiterate what I just said, I believe we need to begin surveying the island. We need to figure out what's where, especially when it comes to whatever lesser races may be around." Khrakoa states authoritatively, as if the idea was not up for debate.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eonn View Post
    Khrakoa looks over the wounds on the black dragon's body. "What tried to eat you?" He says with a smirk.

"Anyhow, to reiterate what I just said, I believe we need to begin surveying the island. We need to figure out what's where, especially when it comes to whatever lesser races may be around." Khrakoa states authoritatively, as if the idea was not up for debate.
    "I've already made a small amount of progress on that front," Zaratii informs, "Last night I met a Tabaxi hunter and found a trail. I followed it mountainwards and found only what seemed to be his cabin. I advise that today we, or at least one of us, follows it seawards and discovers what lies at the other end. A note on the Tabaxi: my admittedly brief and only interaction suggests that they may react to us cautious or unfriendly, though likely not with outright hostility." She prowls over to Sotet, looking over the black's injuries. "I'm pleased that you were able to fend for yourself. Will your injuries make it hard to travel? You should probably stick close to one of us for the time being, lest your wounds make you easy prey." In response to the query as to whether she had found a lair, she comments: "Sadly, this island seems to be rather tropical. Suitable for either of you, but far too wet for my tastes. I don't expect to find any desert here, so I'll probably have to make do with a sandy beach."
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Spoiler: Other Avatars
    Show