New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Withstanding the Crimson Host

The older centaur bows in return, then glares at her younger companion until she does the same. "You would need to see her guide of the clans, in the central camp. Would you we willing to help take our butcher back?"

2. - Top - End - #602
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin

Calin continues to show deference and respect to the centaurs.

"Of course. Let's split up the carcass so it's easier to transport."

He begins to butcher and quarter the Nilgai, allowing the centaurs to help since they are likely better hunters than him.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2021-01-25 at 03:06 PM.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Titan in the Playground

Osterneth had her unburdened undead carry the meat with the others, and happily joined the walk back.
    "Lovely to meet you all. I am Osterneth."
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

4. - Top - End - #604
    Ogre in the Playground

"Thou may call me Hirneleth, and this is matron Fallbraids," explains the younger of the pair. Calin can tell the former is a given name, and the latter a family name; certainly this fits the informal speech of Hirneleth and the formal speech of the matron.

On the way to the camp, Hirneleth explain they're about a day and half from the main camp, but that there's a few more member's that were expecting to bring down the Nilgai with them: "There's Dolzen Boulderrun and Velnild Ashleap who are with us," she blushes a little at mentioning them. "Beside them there's old man Suntemper with us." She's perfectly comfortable with you, but Matron Fallbraids is more cautious. "You are fine to travel with the bodies of the dead?" Neth's been asked about this often enough to tell she isn't hostile, merely curious.

A the camp, the men come out to help prepare the meat. The matron keeps an eye on the meat as they cook it and pack it into packages, asking the party to formally explain why they are in the tribe's lands as she does so. The rest of the centaurs seem keen to find this out themselves, but merely listen in to your answers.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, yes. They're under my control," Neth assured her. "Brakkar. Take two steps forward and moo like a cow."
    Brakkar took two steps forward and made an odd sound that could not be confused with that of a cow.
    "See?"

Osterneth was happy to speak with the matron. "An invading force known as the Crimson Host is approaching a nearby human settlement. We are gathering allies to help in the war."
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

6. - Top - End - #606
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin

Calin listens to Neth explain the situation, deferring to her as the group's leader. He adds in the offer of protection, trying more to help the conversation rather than take it over.

"We are asking for help. We are also offering sanctuary behind the walls at Arvedon Pass to any who need it."

Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2021-01-29 at 04:39 PM.

7. - Top - End - #607
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm not sure ye have that control, but I suppose they're not a threat. Not at that speed anyway." That matron turns to Calin. "Many of my people have died behind the walls of the pass. If it were swept away, we might be able to consecrate their memory."

She considers for a moment "Although I wish to clarify we have no intent to join this host either. We have mostly turned to hunting and trade, and the consideration of our ancestors is our only concern here."
    Last edited by sandmote; 2021-01-30 at 08:53 PM.

8. - Top - End - #608
    Titan in the Playground

"Couldn't you just go around it?" Osterneth asked. "Or through the gates or something, and then give them their rites?"
    Show

9. - Top - End - #609
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin

Calin listens with disappointment as the centaurs talk about not helping. He tries to appeal to their sense of preservation first, and their honor second.

"When the goblins make it to the pass, they will be stopped for quite a while. No matter who eventually wins, they will scour this land for supplies, killing entire herds of Nilgai, and overrunning this land like locusts. You will either be driven from here or killed."

"Come with us, and we will offer you passage through the gates now, with a safe return after this battle. While you are over there, I would be honored to help you consecrate the memory of your ancestors. Whatever disputes there have been between men and centaurs in the past or will be in the future, for now we must band together to rid ourselves of these vermin."

10. - Top - End - #610
    Ogre in the Playground

Matron Fallbraids looks at Neth slowly. "My people have not been allowed inside the gates to where our warriors fell. And go around where, to the far side of the pass and enter through the rear gate? There is a reason this host would travel through the pass and not over the mountaintops."

She look at Calin. "If your words could come to pass, the head matron may agree. We would be bacl on our way back to the main encampment to pass our our spoils. Might you join us, to pass on your offer?"

11. - Top - End - #611
    Titan in the Playground

"We would be happy to," Neth said, sitting down. "Do you mind if I take a few minutes to summon a steed for myself?"
    Show

12. - Top - End - #612
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin

Calin decides that this is more encouraging.

"We would be honored to meet your head matron. Lead the way."

13. - Top - End - #613
    Ogre in the Playground

The party and the five centaurs travel toward the smoking mountain for the rest of the day, working their way to pass on the north side. How Matron Fallbraid knows where to head she doesn't explain.

Shortly after dawn on the second day, smoke rolls in over the hills from the mountain. At first, the party can see riders over the hills from that direction, mounted on large, two-legged beasts. "Firenewt raiding party, from the peak," Hirneleth explains. After about half an hour the smoke blankets the area, causing everything more than 50 feet away to be lightly obscured. The centaurs have their weapons out, and twice your group turns away from bonfires on hilltops.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Any skill checks you can justify would be good, although I'll give a second to get a reply on the OOC thread to my question there.