New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Default Flight of the Kobolds IC

OOC can be found here.

In the middle of the night, while there were only 10 guards on duty your small kobold village of Nelstar, a large Duergar invasion occurred. Using old passageways, that were blocked hundreds of years ago, an army of over 200 duergar warrior rose up from their ancestral home, a layer of the Underdark deep below the surface. Using alchemical explosives, they recreated the passage marched through. While the kobold fought valiantly, they were outnumbered 2 to 1, and the duergar warriors were just better trained. After the fight ended and the deep dwarves started to burn the bodies of fallen kobolds, you, the few survivors, managed to escape. Nelstar was built in a large cavern, with about a 500 foot passage leading up to the surface, making it both a defendable and convenient location. You now are hidden at the edge of the cavern farthest from the surface passage, and outside the walls of the city. There are duergar warriors in the passage constantly, and you know that no matter what you do, no matter what you try, you won’t be able to get passed them.

That means one thing: if you can’t go up, you’ve got to go down.
    The duergar were guarding the surface passage and the passage that they originally came through, but you, as citizens that had lived in this cavern for most of your lives, knew that there was another way out. It was a tunnel dug long ago by kobold miners, and led down to the next layer of the earth: The Underdark. Inhabited by drow, duergar, svirnfeblin and all sorts of other horrors, no one has gone down there and lived to tell the tale. At this point, however, it’s your only hope.

You have your armor, weapons, and possibly a few other items that you used in the battle, but very little, if any, food. You don’t know how long it will take before you can find food, or even what is and is not edible in the Underdark. Fortunately, just inside the village’s walls on the side near you are the living quarters. It has stockpiles of food and all sorts of items that could be useful in this escape. The living quarters are in a large building, and you are unsure of whether or not there are any duergar in there.

So you have a choice: Do you take on possible enemies to get supplies? Or do you run away now and hope for the best?
    Last edited by FlamingKobold; 2009-12-30 at 12:52 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

BardGuy

Default Re: Flight of the Kobolds IC

Vrrk
    *Standing near the edge of the previously prosperous den, Vrrk sneered in disgust at the masses of fat, ugly dwarves that had over-run their home. Though they could be useful for food, or even as workers, if beaten properly, Duergar were far too stupid and lazy to mine properly, and so they resorted to tactics such as this.*

*Taking a quick count of the warriors near the supply room, Vrrk looks to the motley bunch of brothers there with him, quickly formulating a plan.*

"Death now would be meaningless, and starving to death later more so. If I can create a distraction, can any of you make it to the larder and back quickly? I think I can get their attention long enough to allow us to raid what we can and run."

*he looks among the others, waiting for some other ideas, knowing that there are always other ways to look at a puzzle*
    What D&D Character would I be?
    Spoiler
    Show

Lawful/Good Human Wizard/Sorcerer (2/2)
    Str - 14
    Dex - 17
    Con - 15
    Int - 16
    Wis - 15
    Cha - 18
    Hmmm.. Not too shabby. I think I'd do pretty well. Who knows?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Girix.

Girix turned to survey the Kobolds around him. This rabble would have to do. Girix was worried about sending anyone out as a distraction, but without food they would not survive. Still, it would only take one or two Duegar to spot them, and within minutes they'd have a bunch of angry dwarves chasing them through the caves, as well as no food.

If you're willing to take that risk, then we might try it. If we send someone in through each entrance, we might be able to get the jump on them.

Girix mused on this point for a short while.

Or, we could eat dwarf.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A lean, nervous looking Kobold looks around as the others plan, searching things out. He constantly paces around, moving abnormally fast, making very little sound as he walks. "I can provide for mysself - maybe a few of you too. That would sstretch foodss out a little bit. If needed, I can join in either the disstraction or the sstealing team. What can all of uss do? I wass among the besst hunterss in the village... I can track, sshoot and ssneak."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Survival roll for the day - DC 10 to find enough scraps of food/liquids here and there to feed myself for a day. Every 2 points above 10 is another person I can feed today. Rerolled Daily.(1d20+6)[24]

(WOOHOO! Natural 20! That covers 8 people - more than our whole group!)

After looking around the area, he walks back with a handful of berries. "From what I can ssee, I'll be able to provide for all of us today - not ssure how luck will hold out though. But that givess uss time to plan and organize a sscheme for reclaming some of our food.

And if we can, we sshould avoid using a disstraction as much as possible - we will not be reclaiming our foodsstuffss, but we can keep the Smelly Ones from feassting on our food - we sshould take what we can carry, and sset fire to the building after. That would keep them bussy, and the hunger would sslow purssuit ssince they will be lacking ssupliess."
    Last edited by loser0ll; 2009-12-30 at 04:57 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

BardGuy

Vrrk
    *As they converse, and the smaller, abnormally twitchy kobold wanders off, only to return momentarily with food, Vrrk blinks with surprise - something he doesn't often experience.*
    "You might just prove yourself quite useful. I like the way you think - burn the food to keep it from them. Or better yet - poison it if we can. Whatever we do, we'd best do it quickly, because if they find us here, we'll be as dead as the rest of the clan."
    Spoiler
    Show

Str - 14
    Dex - 17
    Con - 15
    Int - 16
    Wis - 15
    Cha - 18

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Zebax

A smaller than average kobold looks up at Vrrk's statement. "Poison, you say? I do poison. Poison and explosions. And fire. Lots of fire," Zebax says. He laughs maniacally to himself, thinking of poisoning the dwarves and blowing them up.
    Last edited by Darkfire2210; 2010-01-01 at 02:33 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The shaky, stuttery Kobold moves over to stand in front of the newest speaker. Despite his oddly jittery movements, he moves around quickly as he investigates him, poking and prodding at him as he circles. "Poisson iss good. But a Dwarf will do well against that - we need thingss that blow up. Those are good with the Dwarf people - they're bigger than uss, but sstill not fasst. We can hit them from far away, and you can blow them up. Poisson workss against other creaturess more - we usse them to knock down an animal, and then I tame it. We can usse them like that - keep them weak, and they can't hurt uss.We let them fight Ssmelly-Oness.

You make oil that burnss, right? I can hit a building from far, far away - hundredss of feet, sstill not a very hard sshot. A few arrows with the oil that burnss well, and we could sset village on fire from far away - dried wood, not a lot of water around here, fire sspreadss quick and iss hard to put out. While the Ssmelly-Oness put it out,trying to ssave their conquesst, we raid the food-holdings, kill guardss, then burn what we can't carry. They can't chasse uss - even if they hear uss over sstomping and sshouting and fire-criess, they are sslow and have to put out the fire we sset on the food to ssave it. We run away, but with lotss of food. Good for uss - I can't sscavenge up enough forever, ssome of you might sstarve - better you live too, insstead of jusst me, sso we have more to fight."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Farobi chooses this moment to make his presence useful. He makes a mental list of things that need to happen

1. Get food for the group
    2. Make sure the dwarves have no food
    3. Get the hell out of here.

He assumes the rest of them are thinking the same thing.

Okay, we need teamwork. Those of you with athletic ability should join me in planning while Splodey over here makes something explosive. We'll plant the bomb in the food containment thingies while we take some for us. Who has a sack?
    I take this game with the seriousness it deserves.
    Not all that much. It's a game.

Xykon In The Playground nominee, way back when that happened.

Rebel Leader

Breakfast-atar by The Neoclassic whom I appreciate very much!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Zebax
    "We must act fast. Longer we stay, more likely they find us. We move soon, then get our tails out of here!" Zebax says, while taking off his small pack and rummaging through it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The spastic Kobold points to his back. "I'm athletic. And I have backpack. Good for in the wild, alone - I can carry thingss."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

We'll need to be careful with fire. make sure you shoot at a building far enough away from the food. If it spreads we could kill ourselves.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"Here go! These most helpful." Zebax says, indicating a few items. "This," he indicates a vial, "Goes BOOM! Lost of fire. It very destructive for buildings or dwarvies." He continues with a maniacal grin, "This make smoke on contact. Make sure you know where go before use, or you run into stuff." He sits back, looking at the one who seems to be organizing the expedition. "I not strong enough to help much, but I could make a few go boom from distance?"
    Last edited by Darkfire2210; 2010-01-03 at 11:13 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Farobi tips his hat to the alchemist. He takes a vial of each, and indicates to the others to follow him, shaking the nerves out of his feet.

Okay guys, let's do this.

OOC: A map of the food storage place and surrounding areas would be extremely useful here.
    I take this game with the seriousness it deserves.
    Not all that much. It's a game.

Xykon In The Playground nominee, way back when that happened.

Rebel Leader

Breakfast-atar by The Neoclassic whom I appreciate very much!

14. - Top - End - #14

BardGuy

Vrrk

*As the other Kobolds have spent the last few seconds discussing amongst themselves, Vrrk has pulled an immensely thick stack of papers from his pack, to hold up.*
    "These will burn fast - might prove useful."
    *He smiles as the others band together so very quickly, admiring the strength and determination of the other kobolds.*
    "So, we need a runner. We shouldn't all set the fires. Most of us should be ready to storm the larder, don't you think?"

Spoiler
    Show

Okay, sorry for the delay. I was busy trying to figure out whether I'll have a job shortly. Darn Railroad and their layoffs. Oh well. I'm back, baby! - Bender
    Spoiler
    Show

Str - 14
    Dex - 17
    Con - 15
    Int - 16
    Wis - 15
    Cha - 18