New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast

Thread: A New Chance

1. - Top - End - #631
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: A New Chance

Professor Dark aka Paragon

"Alright, I can accept your secrecy - but you have to accept that, even without directly attempting to do so, I will inevitably discover what your powers are. But perhaps when we are more used to one another you will mind that less".

"I do have a task for you now, if you're willing. I will explain what it is and why it's important".

"I need to find out what the chemical signature of the bombs used in the building explosion was. Do you have - ah, wait - I'll presume you don't have a scientific background".

"All manufactured explosives are produced with a chemical fingerprint. It allows us to say which company produced it and then with some effort we can usually trace back the sales batch. I wouldn't rule out that the bombs had explosives from a number of different sources, or that they were stolen".

"If we find we're dealing with manufactured explosives then we have a lead we can pursue".

"What would be even more interesting is if there isn't a manufactured chemical signature. That would tell us even more. It takes a long time to make that much explosive yourself - unless the individual can simply magic explosives out of thin air. The explosion was only 36 hours after the mutation - making your own explosive, planning and carrying out that plan in 36 hours is just about impossible. Which would mean the explosion was not the work of... for want of a better phrase, one of us. Or at the very minimum it would have to one of us who was planning to blow up a large building before the early hours of Saturday morning".

"If you could obtain a sample lifted by forensics, that would suffice, but might be difficult. The site itself will be sealed for days, if not weeks, and you appreciate I am rather too public to be caught in the act of lifting the sample myself. The police will be performing this examination already - as we speak. They'll be doing all the leg work, if you like, I just need to know what they know".

"What do you say, Crow?"

2. - Top - End - #632
    Troll in the Playground

Pulse

Pulse pleasantly greets everyone, he is particularly interested to see the mayor, for he has a feeling this man will set the tone for the days to come here in Rainport. After the mayor approaches Reaper and asks his questions, Pulse waits to see what the self-avowed murderer will say in his own defense.
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3. - Top - End - #633
    Barbarian in the Playground

Andrew/Vox Populi

Andrew heads back to his office to catch up on office type stuff (voicemail, paperwork, et cetera), and attempts to get the list of the mutants registered so far...and any reports of unregistered ones.
    The Tenth Doctor and the TARDIS by Ceika.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Orc in the Playground

Alex

Excerpts from a personal journal entry, Oct. 31, 2014

There have been many conspiracy theories floating around the internet, likely from people with too much time on their hands. Some people believe that everything that is happening stems from some unseen puppet master pulling our strings. As a D&D aficionado from high school and college, the concept of some "DM" or "GM" running the show is not alien (it is a central tenant of many religious factions, as well,) but the idea that the government or another such agency is setting these events into motion cannot be grounded in reality. Balchem knew nothing about the instability of the chemical. As such, they did not notify Forthwind which led to the events that have brought us all to today.

These theories hinge from the fact that there was an unknown man believed to have set a series of explosives at the structural fire that proved to be the first meeting of the more heroic folks who had been affected by the accident. There is another, more rational explination: someone...hero, villain, or government agent...wanted to know the extent of the power exhibited by the heroes present. It is evident that he does not want them dead...at least, not yet, or he would have blown the building with them inside. It is also evident that this was not about the bystanders, otherwise he would have blown it BEFORE the heroes got there and, quite possibly, have taken out some of the firefighters in the process.

Are we merely playing out roles in some universal play? Possibly; in the famous words of The Bard, "All the world's a stage." However, was this event carefully scripted, right down to who was affected and who wasn't? Not likely...otherwise, they will be sorely disappointed over the part I'm going to play in this drama.

But we must touch on the others affected to understand how to go about our takeover...
    There are those in this world who cannot abide women and detest their company; I do not number among them. Women are the charming sex, wonderfully unreasonable and meant to be adored.

I met him in a swamp down in Dagobah
    Where it bubbles all the time like a giant carbonated soda.
    S-o-d-a, Soda

5. - Top - End - #635
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Reaper nods respectfully as the dignitaries enter, then speaks, "Dr. Fritz entered the room and asked me details of my previous life, which I can no longer recall. Most of my past before the mutation is now lost to me. As I spoke, she continued to write on her pad. When I finished, she set it aside. There was no writing on the paper. I looked into her eyes and saw the cold eyes of a remorseless killer. It was like staring into the cruel abyss of death itself. She laughed and said to me, 'Until we meet again, my prey.' She then faded away and vanished, no doubt with some form of power caused by the explosion. As she vanished, several of the lights in the room burst, casting the room into darkness. I merged with the shadows and fled."

"Why did I flee? There were several reasons. First, I did not want Fritz to escape unpursued, but there was no trace of her anywhere. Second, I had begun for the first time to feel the weight of the dead pressing down upon me, and I feared for my tenuous hold on sanity. Had I remained, helpless with my memories, I expect that my mind would have been destroyed by the guilt. So I fled. I set of to return to my home, and I came across some thugs attempting to mug someone. I assisted him, and at the time he is probably preparing for an assault on the gangster D-Train, who the thugs worked for. At any rate I layed low after that until the fire."

"When I noticed the fire, I immediately made my way there, keeping myself hidden for obvious reasons. I made my way into the building and rescued a small girl, who I moved to a nearby rooftop for later removal by a super without an arrest warrant. I then reentered the building and found a psychotic old man, and it appeared that he had started the fire, judging from the gasoline spilled over the room and the pyromantic ravings scrawled on the walls. I incapacitated him and called for help, leaving him to be found by another of the supers on the scene. At this point I returned home and, noticing the gathering of supers near the fire, returned to turn myself in.

That one life saved, measured against the hundreds I had killed, may seem a small thing, but it was the difference between hope and despair for me. And so I came here, to accept your judgment. I ask for my freedom, to redeem myself and undo the wrongs of my life, but I do not expect it. If I deserved mercy, then I would not need it. I do not defend my actions, for they were the actions of an animal. What I do say is that I am a changed man. No longer will my hands be stained with the blood of the innocent. No longer will I be haunted by the ghosts of those long dead. Only those who prey upon the weak will have need to fear me, and even they will not die by my hand. Never again will anyone, good or evil, human or mutant, die by my hands. But as for now, my life is in your hands. What is your decision?"
    His voice is that of one resigned to his fate, marching stoically on towards the gallows. All that kept him alive was the small flame of hope in his heart, fed by the memory of the girl he had saved. This would be the time when hope became reality, or when all hope died.
    Thanks to Thormag for my Legion avatar.

Current Characters:

Lily Nightingale, a.k.a. Sparrow, in V for Victory (OoC)

6. - Top - End - #636

Nosferatu

Upon hearing the official group approaching the hangar, Nosferatu leans over and turns off the portable TV. If this was to go as expected, such tense discussions would run more smoothly without an advert suddenly blaring the offers at Disco Dan's Discount Derby. As the four new arrivals enter the room, the gravity of the situation sinks in. Amoung the people here, there was enough physical and political power to level the city or plunge it into a terrible war. Of course, there was also the chance that this 'accident' could lead to a new golden age for humanity. The potential medical breakthroughs that could be achieved, even with- Nosferatu halts his line of thought. What was important was the here and now. And it would take a force of mental effort to ensure that an amusing pun would not slip past his lips. Humour was a great way to diffuse tension, so it was a natural instinct for 'Robert' in normal situations. Needless to say, within the guise of Nosferatu meeting with powerful mutates and military figures, this was (very, very) far from a normal situation.

After greeting the newcomers in a friendly manner, Nosferatu stands to the side, listenning intently to the exchange.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Behold Nosferatu, the Plant Vampire:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Kpenguin!

Thanks Serpentine!

Referring to Pop Yule Ashun:
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberRebirth View Post
    evisiron, that is the most awesome character idea I have ever heard of. I'm going to subscribe to this thread and look forward to updates.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Orc in the Playground

{**** it}
    {Remember kiddies always save your work before restarting your computer}

Orig. sprints over to the place they were piling the loot and stuffs a few handfuls of money and valuables in his pockets, preferring money over items and prefering the most valuable. Then he sprints down the hallway and rushes into the security room and points his gun at the guy grappling him or alternatively anyone in the room with a gun. He'll say Excuse me. RELEASE HIM OR YOUR DOOMED! DOOMED I SAY!

Spoiler
    Show
    Spending an Action Point
    [Roll=Intimidate] 1d20+21[/Roll] ActionPoint - (1d6)[1]
    Note: If I'm shot at by the guards in the hall I ignore it and continue.
    Messed up roll. 1d20 21=27

8. - Top - End - #638
    Ogre in the Playground

Natasha

That makes sense. I knew getting in touch with him was a good idea! I'm sure he's testing if I can do what I say too... but I can't blame him after being so secretive about everything. As long as he genuinely wants to help... that's fine. Tasha thought to herself, feeling a bit more comfortable with her potential new alliance. I just hope I CAN do what I said. I'm... not really a spy. But I can really make a difference. I have to try.

Tasha pushed a lock of dark hair from her face and stared off into the distance as she spoke. This was going to be quite a trial.

I will try. It may take time, but I will do what I can. Something tells me you are a patient man. She finally replied into the voice-changing machine, Perhaps if things go well... and I believe I can trust you... We can meet in person. But until then, this will have to do. I will contact you if I find anything. Have a good night, Professor.

*Click*

Tasha slumped back into her seat and took a few deep breaths. That was not so bad. She did not know why, but she figured she could trust Dark. At least... for this. He had just as much to worry about as her if there was a crack-down on mutants. Plus, she couldn't place it, but something about the man made her want to believe that he was sincere. Still... better to not take chances.

Jotting down the number Dark had given her to his private line, she started her car and drove off.... detouring only long enough to toss her new "untraceable" cell phone into the river. The voice-changer, she could keep for now. She would need it if she contacted Dark again. For now, she had to get back to her dorm... She had a date for tonight.

------------------

Tasha slipped into her dorm room and checked the clock. 8:47... almost fifteen minutes early. Close, but she had made it. Just a little bit to clean up and slip into something nice before Draven came by. And to decide how much she wanted to tell him. Looking into the mirror in her bathroom, she flipped back her hair and smiled. Things were going to get hectic... but she did her best work under pressure.

(and from here... I just wait for Draven to come by. )

9. - Top - End - #639
    Dwarf in the Playground

Professor Dark aka Paragon (how long has it been since we saw that second guy anyway?)

Professor Dark hung up the phone.

He thought about the impudence with which this Crow had snapped at him and briefly considered unpleasant revenge for the sleight. The thought hung in his mind for several seconds and he turned it, this way and that, enjoying the way it sparkled.

But revenge, like all sparkling things, was a bauble for a lesser being. He was not some petty Pharaoh or Tzar - he was the Nile: he was the Russian winter.

Besides, the lesson was useful in itself. He was not a poker player by instinct, he was a discoverer of secrets. He would need to be more careful when he met the other mutants tomorrow. And should this Crow actually manage to deliver the information, well, every good boy deserves fudge.

Every good boy deserves fudge? Where had that come from? Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge. Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain. King Phillip Came Over From Geneva, Switzerland. The lesson? Oh Be A Fine Girl, Kiss Me Right Now - Smack!

Mnemonics? Was he forgetting something?

Of course. Big Elephants Can Always Use Small Elephants. He hadn't thought about that since he was four years old, sitting at the worn writing desk in the high attic room of his childhood home. The room's only window, thin and tall, overlooked a summer garden.

Because, he had written on the paper in front of him. Because. One hundred times at his father's instruction: you will do what I say because I told you to. You will do what I say because I told you to.

Out in the garden his mother was hanging out washing bathed in sunlight and the smell of mown grass. A blush of purple under her eye was not concealed entirely by the blush on her cheek. Because.

A door in his mind slammed shut with a sound like thunder. And a voice in his head that was not entirely his own spoke. You may not sleep, but heaven knows you dream.

The sound came again... it was not thunder, it was the door. Dark dismissed the entire text of Poe's The Raven which leapt unbidden to his mind. He did not need and certainly did not wish to be reminded of that poem now.

He rose from the Chesterfield where he had been lying - his eyes open, staring at the ceiling - and opened the door of the house. Opened onto a face full of anticipation and cunning. Keen and dangerous, like a shark dressed in that outdoor coat. Dark paid the compliment of avoiding pretence.

"Oh," he said, in acknowledgement, rather than surprise. "It's you. I was wondering who you'd be. You'd better come in".
    Last edited by dfpiii; 2008-01-04 at 02:31 PM.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Orc in the Playground

Alex

Is he psychic?

No, as the old saying goes, great minds think alike. He had to know that this public display of hubris would not go unnoticed. Does he expect me to pop out of a shadow, threaten him to shut up or meet a violent end? No; this will be a friendly meeting. This, like everything else, is business.

"Quite." He took the good doctor's offer and stepped in confidently. No matter what happens, no matter how right...or wrong...he is, we display no emotional affirmation either way. "I can only speculate as to why YOU think I'm here. However, I would like to say this now: I am not here to threaten you in any way, shape, or form. This will be a civilized discussion and will remain so until you break said civility." Alex bowed curtly before Dark. Shall we retire somewhere comfortable or do this here in the hall?"

You've dealt with guys like this all your life. They attempt to grab the upper hand with an egotistical introduction, looking for weak chinks in your armor. There is no weakness that he can exploit, nothing he can say that will rattle you. He will not get his way; we will speak as equals...or I will prove superior. There is no other way.
    Last edited by Raven T.; 2008-01-04 at 04:05 PM.
    There are those in this world who cannot abide women and detest their company; I do not number among them. Women are the charming sex, wonderfully unreasonable and meant to be adored.

S-o-d-a, Soda

11. - Top - End - #641
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Just through here is fine," Dark says as he closes the door.

He leads the way through into a large room that was probably intended for a rather grand living room and dining room when the house was originally built. Like so many homes, it has taken on the eccentricities of its owner. Now a cluster of heavy, well-upholstered green leather couches lounge like a herd of drowsy cattle around a roaring fireplace. They are much too big for the room - to the extent that windows much have been removed to get them in.

At the other end of the room, two desks have been abutted in an L-shape to form a large work area. Two desktop computers and several neat piles of papers cover this area, except for a completely free square of green leather writing surface. Behind all this and randomly placed around the room are filing cabinets of various sizes - chosen for sheer utility rather than their aesthetic properties.

The room has a sense of being recently cleaned and, despite the number of strange and unusal items, there is a definite sense of order.

But more noticeable is that the room must be at least 100 degrees.

"Would you like something to drink?" he offers, sitting down on one of the couches. Dark appears, and is, quite relaxed.

Spoiler
    Show
    If Alex asks for a drink, Dark will provide and will continue

"No threats? Ah, but of course the mention of threats is the implication that they could be made," Dark says, though quite conversationally. "However, for my part, I can say that I am not in the business of murdering people and burying them in the cellar. The cellar is in fact filled with junk, as is the attic. Any threats I offered would be quite hollow until I've had a chance to do a proper clear out".

"I've been waiting for the person who was going to come and divide the world with me - like a full-size game of Risk. I don't object. This is not Highlander and none of us are so powerful that we can act without regard for all of the others".

"However we're not up to a full cast of players in our story yet. The federal government has yet to intercede. Even the best estimates you have of identified mutants - which will doubtless be better than mine - will be far short of the true number".

"But we're getting ahead of ourselves and I'm denying you your pitch. Why don't you tell me your vision, I'll tell you mine, and we'll see if we are to be friends or enemies".

"Oh, and your name of course".

12. - Top - End - #642
    Orc in the Playground

Alex

It was like watching the beginnings of a chess game, both players jockeying for position to strike a decisive blow. The heat did bother him some, but it was a dry heat and he gave no indication of that fact. "A nice wine, if you have it; tea if you don't." Alex found himself the best couch and made himself comfortable, leaving his hat and mask on for now. However, he did afford himself a smirk and soft giggle at the mention of the messy cellar.

"I suppose I should answer your points in the order you provided them, then. You have already made the groundwork of your plan known to anyone with a brain stem and my line of work is all about the exchange of information. As such, I already have the advantage...however, I am willing to level the playing field.

"First, your analogy of the game before us as Risk is quite astute...and it is a game that I have not played since college. One just has to remember to wipe out the guy turtling in Australia before he actually becomes a threat. However, unlike Risk, we may wind up playing with the same pieces instead of as two allied armies."
    It wasn't in Alex's nature to tip his hand so early, but, as he mentioned, this was about trading information for information.

"Secondly, you might be surprised how quickly the government is locking this whole thing down. All you need is an internet connection and a little bit of diligence to uncover this. However, once trust has been established, I will be more willing to let you know what I know about this whole drastic mess.

"Trust is the biggest issue here. I did not come to play the role of salesman any more than the mafia enforcer. You are quite astute, I have come with the desire to further ascertain what kind of ally...or enemy...you could be. For now, I will leave you with some food for thought: I have no desire to rule the world. My desire is to RUN the world. I'm a businessman; it's what i was born to do and it is what I love.

"A name...'What's in a name?' This comes back to trust; if you know my name, you know enough to destroy me."
    Alex leans back some, tenting his fingers. "However, it is quite obvious that any of us could potentially destroy anyone else with utter anonymity, so that shoots my reasoning right to hell. For now, we will simply start with a first name: Alex." Queen's knight to queen's bishop six... The game was fully under way now. Sure, he couldn't trust Dark any further than he could throw him, but the feeling was likely mutual...and there were plenty of other men he had done business with that he found to be unsavory and that had worked out fine for all parties involved.

S-o-d-a, Soda

13. - Top - End - #643
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Tea might be better," Dark says. "What with room temperature being what it is. If you'll excuse me".

The professor returns a minute later bearing a wooden tray and various crockery which is, like the rest of the house's furnishing, utilitarian and mismatched. Dark encourages you to continue while he pours.

"Ah," Dark says when Alex has finished. "I think I can understand that motivation quite well. You see I am a scientist, not by title or accident, but by instinct and profession. My... yes, I don't think it would be too misleading to call it an obsession, is with the principles of order in the universe".

And here is the electricity. He leans forward ever so slightly, a degree or two; the almost imperceptible gesture of being brought into a confidence. Whatever the merits of his arguments, Dark has a voice like history. Carving words out of the air like Egyptians carved stone - to last forever.

"What a ridiculous accident of fate it is that someone born in Alabama should enjoy priveliges denied to those born in Azerbaijan, or that they should operate under different restrictions. Let us judge the unequal worth of excellence under equal conditions and afford everyone born the chance to excel".

"How absurd that one bale of cotton changing into one pair of jeans should require the use of a dozen currencies and the permission of as many bureaucrats. How inefficient borders and nations are, and how counterproductive. Half of the 20th century and hundreds of millions of lives across the world were wasted in wars which we know today achieved nothing. We simply exchanged the Empires of Britain and France for the Empires of America, Russia and China. And in two hundred years we will see different empires again, rising and falling on a wave of their own self-importance".

"Presidential candidates live in fear of saying one national language for America - as if only knowing how to speak Spanish was a bold and individualistic choice, rather than a circumstance that condemns to an existence of grinding poverty. Unnecessary poverty".

"One language, one law, one currency, one world". The word that Dark did not add was the one which mattered most. Forever.

"Let us not talk about Utopia, because that implies equality of outcome. I believe that those who work harder must receive more. I did not acquire my abilities and then join the world's wealthiest one percent. I went to school for more two decades. And I presume your life's achievements are not simply the result of the last two days".

"I believe in opportunity. I believe in hard work. And not based on ideology, but because the hungry always improve faster. History is an account of those who wanted it more, taking it. And I intend to unlock the full potential of humanity".

Dark takes a drink of his tea from a NASA mug.

"So you see we are not entirely at odds. Not quite Managing Director and Chairman of the Board, but certainly the opportunity for... what is the business term... better partnership working?"
    Last edited by dfpiii; 2008-01-06 at 12:14 PM.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Orc in the Playground

Alex

Dark was good. His thoughts were rational, his goals attainable, and his methods, though still secret, would be functional. It was apparent from the surroundings and whathaveyou that he believed in simplicity and utilitarianism over frills and lace. In short, he was a man.

Where Dark's voice was that of history, Alex's voice was steady, calculating, and dispassionate. It carried the weight of ten thousand board meetings...and the authority of a mafia Don.

"Ah, but, depending on who you ask, Alabama and Azerbaijan aren't that far off as far as poverty goes. So you advocate a complete, total dictatorship. None too surprising. All men who desire power want to be the man at the top...the ONLY man at the top. I can see a few flaws in your 'one world' idea...

"First off, let us consider WHY man has waged wars and created countries. We are all separated by idealogical and linguistic barriers. Demanding some poor Chinese farmer to learn English will be a waste of time. Religious differences, as well, come into play. Getting the 'big three' to agree on ANYTHING is a chore even with the most liberal members, not to mention the insane fundamentalists on all sides.

"Secondly, control is an issue. Even 'commanding' legions of superpowered beings isn't the way to go, as those you have put out the call to are, as you so bluntly put it on TV, HEROES. I wonder, did you ever read a comic book or see one of the myriad of movies that came out in the last several decades? Heroes are there to foil the villain's plans and create the 'great underground resistance movement.'"
    Alex smirked some. However, creating some to do our bidding isn't out of the question, but that should be my "ace in the hole." What fun is it to tell him everything?

"I must admit, it sounds like you are trying to create a paradox: a totalitarian military dictatorship that rewards ambition, drive, and desire. You must realize that ambition can know no bounds; it could all fall through the floor and into someone else's hands, who could potentially undo all that we have...and will...struggle to bring to fruition. Do you plan on having death squads to kill anyone who steps beyond their station?

"You are correct in assuming that it took more than the recent events to make me the man I am. We both have our PhD. Though I must admit I may not have gone to the same schools you did, I wasn't partying every weekend. We busted our asses off to get this far and now, thanks to serendipity, we have the means to seize everything we are owed.

"Utopia? It's pointless to even THINK about a Utopian society, as they cannot exist, save on paper. Communism is a utopia on paper, but we've seen how it works out in practice. Besides, I do not wish to create one.

"Despite my objections to your current idea, we are both on the same page in at least one respect. Current events have sparked the next phase of human evolution. People, affected or not, must adapt or die. The cosmos is trying to bring our current 'Reverse Darwinism' into check. It is time for someone to take the reigns of the planet and steer it in the right direction. Overpopulation is a horrible problem, lending itself to global warming, deforestation, and the ruin of the natural world. We cannot pose dominion over nature; the planet rebells against us. Oversights like this are what led to the current state of affairs.

"My plans so far have been subtle in nature. In truth, while you are attempting to use the tools you feel are most wise, I have been using the ones available to me. I have been looking into the events surrounding our sudden change in abilities and I believe it is because of incompetence on many levels.

"For now, I will give you two bits that I know. First off, the companies that are responsible for it had no knowledge of the chemical itself. Balchem, the ones who had it stored, failed to tell Forthwind that it is unstable at room temperature. This is because Balchem didn't know themselves. Apparently, they've been using more...illicit means to snap up ideas and other companies to pad their R&D department, often at great fiscal loss. I can imagine the shareholders are none too happy about what has already occurred, ESPECIALLY if that last bit of information gets out. People do NOT like to lose money.

"The other is the speed at which the government is moving on this. National Guard troops are already here...and even more are en route. Stories all over the internet, from credible sources and not, are talking of martial law being called into effect to protect the 'innocent.' I think you can grasp the gravity of what that means.

Alex lounged more, sipping on his tea slowly. He had made his big play for now and decided to let Dark make what he would out of the information provided.

S-o-d-a, Soda

15. - Top - End - #645
    Dwarf in the Playground

"No, oppressive rule of that sort is not necessary. Anything won by the sword can be lost by it. Iron fists rust. But you leave the details of that to me".

He listens intently to the recount of Alex's information.

"Indeed? A genuine accident? That seems unlikely. What's more likely is that both Balchem and Forthwind are pawns - willing, witting or otherwise".

A smile spreads slowly over Dark's face.

"You're looking for the chemical, aren't you? And, let me guess, because Balchem have been stealing whatever they can get their hands on, they don't know anything about it".

"I do hope you keep me informed of your progress in that respect. But let me give you something to mull over. If the chemical was a powerful mutagen and it was stolen, why isn't the creator looking for it? Why, in fact, isn't there a billion dollar lawsuit being filed against Balchem as we speak?"

"The information you want is one step back. Because, chemistry being what is is, simply having the formula gets you nothing. How you combine the chemicals is what's important - and it's clear Balchem doesn't have that information".

"I had expected the national guard. I had expected them to be on the streets this morning, in fact. The mayor must be working overtime. Martial law is unlikely, because this situation doesn't meet the requirements of article one, section nine. The president may declare a state of emergency and take control of the situation - which affords him almost all of the powers of martial law, or the governor may take control, in which case the national guard are simply operating as normal law enforcement".

"Civics," Dark says. "I dated a girl who was a member of the ACLU".

"I am not surprised. In fact this suits me very well".

"And now I must tell you something of the obstacle we both face. The person who bombed the building today was the Devil".

Dark finished his tea.

"I should explain that I'm an atheist. I have no metaphysical leanings whatsoever and I can scarce contain my contempt for those who do. The individual has put themselves forward with this nom-de-guerre; this persona. And in answer to your earlier question - that is exactly what's in a name. If you're concerned about what happens when shareholders discover they're losing money, imagine what happens when the religious right realises that Lucifer is walking the streets of Rainport, blowing up buildings".

"His intention, as I understand it, and my contact with him was brief, is what the Devil's plan always is. Limitless destruction. This afternoon was nothing. While it might serve its purpose in the short term, longer term nobody's ambitions are helped by that approach".

"Now imagine what happens when the Devil rises... and you beat him... And I think you will come to understand the beginning of my plan".
    Last edited by dfpiii; 2008-01-06 at 05:56 PM.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Orc in the Playground

Alex

"Indeed. It seems you are willing to indulge the idea that this is one giant conspiracy plotted by 'Big Brother.' Frankly, I am not ready to accept that until I see some concrete proof. Just because some whack-job weekend Satanist has let power go to his head doesn't mean that he's a governmental puppet. Power corrupts, and we have been gifted with absolute power. It is to be expected that something like this happens.

"I understand that the information I need does not lie with Balchem...and yet, it does. From where I sit, and with what resources I have, it is the linchpin in the chain. If I can get to them, I can backtrack to where it originated from. I know having the chemical itself will do me no good; that's why I'm building my own company through completely legal means to mop up after this disaster. If you get ahold of the companies, you get their notes. From there, all you need is the right R&D people to crack the secret, reproduce the reaction...and develop an antidote.

"That's right. I want to develop an antidote. It would be fitting if the world's villains were stripped of their power when brought to justice instead of being locked in an asylum. Remove the threat and the public is safe...until the next crazy with a desire to rob and plunder comes along. A two way street..."
    Alex tented his fingers some. A little more of the story was revealed, but he wasn't giving much more away than what Dark could likely observe on his own.

"I mention martial law as a potential because you know what people do when they are scared...though, it seems like you are counting on this. One thing we differ on; I work best under less chaotic circumstances. The world is beginning to change faster and faster...and it is a little overwhelming. However, I will either adapt or be destroyed. Such is the way of things.

"I understand what you are ready to do. In a way, our plans are similar. Use chaos and fear to set up law and order. Fear, though, is a poor ruling tool. Every failed dictator in history has ruled by fear. I have a lot of trepidation about your ideas, but the world has changed a lot in two days. The rules have been rewritten and your plan has a good chance of success...but I am concerned for the long term picture. How do you intend to maintain rule over your new order?"

Alex remained silent for several moments, but gave indications that he was still thinking. "But, as you said, I'll leave the details of that to you. Like I said, I have no desire to rule the world; I merely want to run it behind the scenes. If we agree to a partnership, you are more than willing to be the face and 'ruler,' but all I ask is that you consult me in matters of policy and give the 'devil' his due." He wasn't sure what Dark would think of that comment, but it is what he aspired to. Should Dark think him weak for not WANTING to be top cat, then so be it. It's not mediocrity to desire to be the second-in-command or even co-emperor.

He also hadn't made any motion or comment about Dark's distaste for those who practice religion. It wasn't...and wouldn't...be an issue between them...

As long as Dark didn't institute some sort of religious cleansing once he was in power.

S-o-d-a, Soda

17. - Top - End - #647
    Dwarf in the Playground

Davan

Davan considers the offer a couple of moments before replying

"Well, I don't really have anything to do for the rest of the day, I may as well. What do you have?"
    -Remember, kids...Beeblebrox's Gambit is never a good idea. Never send a fifth drink down to see what the other four are doing in your stomach.
    -Bunnies Can't Phone. But, THEY CAN FLY

18. - Top - End - #648
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

"Actually, it's happening tomorrow. I'm meeting someone who can supposedly disguise me as a little punk at 5:00 PM. Reaper is helping as well, and I think we'd both feel a little more comfortable with some extra muscle on our side. We're meeting at (wherever the meeting place was). Their hangout is at (wherever their hangout was). Can you make it?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormthorn View Post
    The closest thing to humor in my previous RP experiance was a time when my bard was accused of rape. So...im new to that aspect.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #649
    Orc in the Playground

Draven/Oblivion

As he approached the second set of automated doors that would admit him to the hospitals lobby, memory flashed unbidden into his minds eye.

The blood upon the sidewalk, the smell of it so cloying in the cold dry air. The glazed look in her eyes as he carried her dying body in his arms, her life slipping between his fingers as he looked on helplessly, the leaden feeling of utter emptlyness crushing him from within even as the ER staff took her from him.
    Yes, and the rage as well, like a blizzard, numbing his soul, burying his emotions in lifeless ice...so many years ago.

What has become of me now I wonder? Now that I am posessed with so much power I have yet to comprehend the fullness of it's scope? It's been so long since I cared about...anything but what I sought.
    ...I don't know.

He narrowed his eyes as the doors slid aside.

But I soon will.
    EDIT: New job, irregular schedule. Sporadic posting. Please bear with me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Demented One View Post
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives."
    For your convenience.
    (as well as mine. )

Awesome Avatar Actualized by KPenguin!

20. - Top - End - #650
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Wow, looking back on the IC thread, this is gonna be messy.... Ah well no time for complaining. I'm mentioning any important NPC's present in case anyone forgot what was going on (I know I had to remind myself more than once, especially because the last full DM post I did was back on page 20). Oh, and there seems to be a little misconception about the building exploding earlier on in the day. The combined efforts of the heroes and the fire fighters, allowed everyone to get out safely. The only people that didn't make it out was the family that Pulse found, and the 4 fire-fighters that went to investigate. The explosion was so calculated and exact, that if you were 15ft away from the building, you were fine. The number of people injured or killed can be measured on just your fingers and toes.

Andrew/ Vox Populi
    {You are currently right up to about when the fire and eventual explosion took place}
    You've got all the standard political beurocratic paperwork waiting for you back at your office. It's boring work, but still needs to be done. You manage to scrounge up a list of the registered mutants: Inferno, Titan, Bolt, Jen, Hound, Pulse, Nosferatu, The Man, Legion, Smoke (NPC guy mentioned briefly)... {I can't remember anymore off the top of my head, I'll have a look-see back through the thread to see if I can find more after I finish up with the inital stuff.} Un-registered: Natienal, Gust, (you don't know their names, just the bit you gathered from their activities at the fire) and some guy down at dock 7, who's helping them load and unload the boats. None of the mutants down at the hospital are registered yet, because most of them are in no condition to go anywhere.

Pulse/Nos/Reaper/Mayor/Lt. General/ Dozen Armed Guards

There is dead silence as Reaper reaccounts the details of his little excursion. When the Reaper finishes, the Mayor's face remains unreadable. You all know that he is trying to make quite possibly the hardest descision of his political career, but it doesn't show on his face. He and the Lt. General walk a bit away from everyone else and start conversing in hushed voices. They do this for easily 10 minutes, but it feels a lot longer.

They eventually come back after their discussion. The Mayor looks at the Reaper for a moment before saying "Well Mr. Reaper, for reasons I don't even fully understand myself, I believe you. What I don't get is that I know Dr. Fritz is a personal friend of mine and has been one for years. Not once have I ever considered her to be even close to as dangerous as you claim. I think you are telling the truth, and therefore I don't think it was Fritz that interviewed you, it might have been an imposter of some sort, possibly someone has been given powers themselves.

So that brings us back to the topic of your sentencing. You have quite frankly, a very large debt to society, and more importantly, a personal desire to repay that debt. Therefore, I propose a compromise. If you agree to work for the government for an amount of time equal to a month for each life you claimed, then that will fulfill your debt to society. Do we have a deal?"

Murky/ Neo-Mafia Enforcer

Just as you enter the shadows, the metal grating for the front of the shop comes crashing down, cutting out all sight of the outside world. You hear some wood creek, and in the back of the shop a trap door opens out, and from inside you see quite possibly the largest man you've ever seen in you entire life.

He bears a striking resemblance to this guy:
    Spoiler
    Show

but wears an obviously tailored pair of khaki pants (black) and a light brown pair of Lugz [/product placement]. But what is really intimidating is the gun cannon this guy has. It's like an assault rifle, but bigger and meaner.

The guy surveys the room, obviously looking for you. After a moment of tense silence, a voice from the trap door says "Find anything?" the big guy answers "No, but I know he's here. The shutters wouldn't have closed if the door was open. Be ready for anything, it was probably one of those muties." You hear a few more guns get loaded from within the trap door.

He makes no move to check the condition of the shop keeper.

Kid Zeus/Riff (Rocker guy)/ The Bad Cop

You can tell that the officer is torn. A large part of him wants nothing more than to beat the snot out of the pair of you. But an equally large part of him does not want to be on the recieving end of either your lightning blast, or the sound blast of the other guy. He appears to be mulling it over when you hear some chanting and yelling; it's the crowd Riff was playing for earlier, they're telling the cop to let the pair of you go.

The cop glares at you once more before saying "Alright fine. You punks get away with it this time. But as God as my witness, if either of you step so much as a toe out of line, I will personally bring you down." He stalks away to his squad car, opens the door and then looks back at the pair of you sneering "Have a nice day." in a tone laced with sarcasm, while tipping his hat to you, befre driving off.

When you look down at the rocker, he's still flat on his back, but his hands are folded behind his head as he looks at the sky. With a grunt, he stands up again and dusts himself off. "Two things. 1) That was incredibly bad-ass. 2) Don't mind my dad, he's a [insert favorite insult here]."

Jason/ Jen (speedy nurse)

As you touch Jen, she lets out a piercing scream, and stumbles forward. Her voice cracks badly and she sounds absolutely teriffied "I-I- Can't see!" She gets more and more frantic by the second. "Darkness! Can't See! Can't See! Can't See! Can't See! Help!" She starts hyper ventilating, and then you start seeing a horribly side effect of super speed. It looks like she goes through a complete mental break down in a poorly made stop-motion film, in less than 3 seconds. She winds up about 20ft away from you, clutching herself in the fetal position, shaking violently (again "aided" by super speed) and muttering to herself.

{Jen's got a 3rd level of the Phobia complication (home made) and she just rolled a 1 on her Will save and failed by 20, so I'd say that's a pretty accurate desciption.}

The Man

{I’m being kind and it won’t start stinking until just after your meeting with the good doctor. This is a little after Jason’s time line, so no screaming nurse on the front lawn.}

Upon entering the hospital, the receptionist gives you directions to Dr. Wilson’s office up on the top floor. As you near the door, you see Dr. Wilson coming from the opposite direction. You reach the door at the same time, ”Ah right on time, please come in.” he says after shaking you hand. It’s a relatively humble office. He’s got one wall covered by a book case, full of medical journals, another wall houses a window with a great view of the city, the third wall is plastered with 2 dozen certificates, degrees and the like, and the final wall is bare except for the door you just entered. A single desk, with a rather expensive and powerful looking computer and several note books sits in the middle of the room. Wilson takes one chair and signals for you to sit down in one of the comfortable looking chairs opposite him. “I believe I have a vague idea as to why you are here, but if you’ll indulge me, please tell me in your own words.”

Gust

As you decide to go on patrol, you quickly notice a high speed chase. There's a blue sports car starting to gain on 3 squad car following it. It's on the "highway" on the very outskirts of the eastern section of the city, he's headed towards the south section. There are 4 lanes in each direction, and traffic is minimal.

{If I missed anyone let me know.}

21. - Top - End - #651

The Reaper

The Reaper is silent for a moment, thinking. He then says, "I believe that the total currently stands at four hundred and seventy...two, I believe. That comes out to around forty years. If that is your wish, then it shall be so." There is something subtly different in his voice, a peace that was missing before. He feels as if a great burden had been lifted from his chest. Forty years, and the debt would be paid. He would gladly serve for four hundred. He felt like jumping for joy, but he retained his composure, aided by his lack of any discernable facial features. He asked, "Now, what exacly would this service entail? I do not feel I would be redeemed by four decades of cleaning up litter."
    Thanks to Thormag for my Legion avatar.

Current Characters:

Lily Nightingale, a.k.a. Sparrow, in V for Victory (OoC)

22. - Top - End - #652

Nosferatu

As the verdict is read out, Nosferatu feels a strong sense of relief, and an oddity that he can't place. In the minutes waiting for the Mayors decision, every possible scenario had raced through his head, from the mundanity of a prison sentance, to the extremes of Reaper being made the new mayor, or the Mayor revealing himself as a cunning doppleganger and ordering them all executed. Sometimes a mind honed by years of RPGs led to some interesting conclusions...

With a minor jolt, Nosferatu recognises the source of the odd feeling. He could practically feel the air shake as people who were holding their breath let it out. Since the change, Nosferatu had no need to breath, and so was not holding his breath when the decision was given out. Of course, in the grand scheme of things, it was a minor concern. Despite this, the sheer sense of "you are not human any more" threatened to whell up within him. With a force of effort, Nosferatu pushes the feeling away, but still it niggles at the back of his mind, like a deep rooted itch.

Returning his mind to the present, Nosferatu looked around as Reaper replied to his verdict. Thankfully Reaper had refrained from jumping into the air yelling "Yahoo, suckers!" and was now moving to the number crunching. Nosferatu knew he should remain silent, but the moment of tension had passed.

"Hmm, you could get some job in the government. CIA, FBI, something like that. Not sure if you would look the part in a black uniform though, probably not your colour."

Nosferatu's smile can be heard in his voice. For a moment he contemplates whether he should be so happy about a murderer just getting community service, but shakes the thoughts away. And of course, this seriously reduces the likelyhood that the Mayor will order anything seriously anti-mutate if he is willing to be reasonably with Reaper.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Behold Nosferatu, the Plant Vampire:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Kpenguin!

Thanks Serpentine!

Referring to Pop Yule Ashun:
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberRebirth View Post
    evisiron, that is the most awesome character idea I have ever heard of. I'm going to subscribe to this thread and look forward to updates.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Murky

Murky watches as the metal grating comes crashing down, and then the Giant comes out of the trap door.. and the Giant's cannon comes out of the trap door.. Murky mutters to himself 'Wow.. I really hope he's one of us muties.. no one should be that big!'

Murky then walks up to the trap door, still covered in the protective greyness of the shadow world, and looks down. 'Maybe there's something I can use down there... hmm..' Murky then blinks through the shadows to the farthest open spot he can see inside the trap door.

{OOC: I'm trying to figure out just what I'm getting into, and how many guys will be there. At this point I think the big guy is still in the trap door, but if at any point he leaves (or is already out) I might try to take out all the little guys while he's gone. I'm also looking for unattended weapons so that I might increase my own little arsenal when I let loose havoc. If however I cannot see past the big guy into the lower area (and therefore cannot shadow hop down), I'll move to a spot where I will have the most cover possible from things in the store were I in the coloured world, but am still within about 15' of him.}

24. - Top - End - #654
    Orc in the Playground

(Missed me.)
    (By the way Andrew, for my thing in the registry I put anonymous for name and alias and only mentioned healing powers.)

25. - Top - End - #655
    Dwarf in the Playground

"The enemy - I don't presume him a government puppet. Just someone very focussed. You will be amazed at how the world can turn on a single will".

"I wouldn't seek to teach history, but it seems to me that every successful dictator in history used fear too. What undoes dictators is age, madness and treachery. But I take your point and again I would advise that I have almost a whole deck up my sleeve".

"As to your own ambitions, I have no objections. Should you require assistance with anything that fits my skillset... well, you know where to find me".

26. - Top - End - #656
    Orc in the Playground

Draven/Oblivion
    St. Pauls Hospital

((Man, this secret ID thing is tough. Especially now that I realized that what was going on was actually happening outside. I'm guessing that it wasn't extremely obvious though, since no one actually corrected me on it. : Whatever, I just hope I didn't lose those amazing rolls...If I did, they were 21 for the Sense Motive, and 23 for the Diplomacy. Hopefully someone else read that part and can vouch for me...))

As the first set of doors slid shut and the second set slid aside, revealing the empty lobby beyond, he heard a piercing scream from behind him.
    Whirling quickly around and peering through the glass, he could see a figure sitting on the sidewalk, looking toward something that Draven couldn't quite see from his vantage.

Stepping back outside, he approached the scene quickly but carefully, his movements unconsciously agile but cautious as he approached the strange scene.

As he got closer, he saw that the figure upon the sidewalk was a young man, as he stood back up, wearing a look of both fear and anger that twisted his features. His attention, for the time being, seemed locked on a prone figure nearby.

Draven sensed her before he saw her, the alarming sensation of her hyperventilation as her torso rapidly expanded and contracted at a superhuman rate, the inhuman speed at which her body quivered in fear upon the grass. A nurse, dressed in hosptial whites, who obviously posessed super speed, and seemed to be in extreme distress.

I knew it was only a matter of time before something like this happened here! Too many unstable mutants and too many unpredictable reactions...but she's not going to suffer if I can help it.

Scowling in concern and anger he aproached the boy in the middle of the walk, Draven kept his distance, trying to judge the degree of which this individual was unbalanced or agressive.

"Hey, what's going on here? What's wrong with her?"

Stretching out with his senses, he felt the power contained within the young mans frame, it's energy still in flux, it's energy a discordant mix of thruming, flickering and pulsing that he could feel like a ice pick jabbed into the center of his forehead and right down the middle of his cerebral cortex...and a pain he welcomed.

I am awakening.

"Look, I want to help. I'm a student from the local university, my name's Draven, what's yours?"

After pausing to listen to the young mans response, he continued "Now, I'm sure it was just an accident, but I'm guessing that you have a good idea as to what is wrong with that nice lady over there.
    If you can, I suggest you make it stop, or she might...well, be really hurt. I know you don't want that...so either notify someone who works here to bring a sedative, or make end it right now".

He glanced over at the woman as she thrashed on the floor, sensing the waves of eldritch energy shifting within her. He wanted to go to her, perhaps see if he could calm her down, but he didn't want to leave his back exposed to this guy if he ended up being more unbalanced than he appeared.

He stayed ready for anything, hoping that the situation would resolve itself without him having to reveal himself as one of the New-Humans before he had more opportunity to research the condition.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm trying to go the RP direction on this one, but it Gnome_4ever decides he wants to keep throwing his little tantrum, I'm willing to back track, roll initiative, and throw down with the guy.

Until then, just to be thorough, this is 2 rounds worth of actions.

1st round, move forward, sense motive (1d20+3)[21] on Jason, swift action to activate Power Detection, 1PP spent, free action to talk.

2nd round, whole round spent diplomacising with Jason (1d20+3)[23]. I know he's not an NPC, but I thought it might help with any NPC's that might be listening, including Jen (if she's able to in her "scared Sless state).
    Last edited by Thrall_Of_Ao; 2008-01-12 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Arrrgggghhhh! We just had to get into this outside didn't we?
    EDIT: New job, irregular schedule. Sporadic posting. Please bear with me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Demented One View Post
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives."
    For your convenience.
    (as well as mine. )

Awesome Avatar Actualized by KPenguin!

27. - Top - End - #657
    Troll in the Playground

Kid Zeus

Quote Originally Posted by geez3r View Post
    The cop glares at you once more before saying "Alright fine. You punks get away with it this time. But as God as my witness, if either of you step so much as a toe out of line, I will personally bring you down." He stalks away to his squad car, opens the door and then looks back at the pair of you sneering "Have a nice day." in a tone laced with sarcasm, while tipping his hat to you, before driving off.
    "Creep..." Kid Zeus felt his lip curl in the bully's passing. He hated jerks like that who abused their power just for the sake of feeling superior. He'd known more than one kid in school like that who had tried to scare all of the smaller, weaker kids just because that's how they got off. He'd been in more than a few fights, lost a lot but won a few, to hold up that ideal. Now that he had the power, he aimed to keep that up...protect the weak and the innocent just because it was the right thing to do. Kid Zeus was so lost in thought for a moment he almost didn't notice the rocker guy, Riff, stir.

Quote Originally Posted by geez3r View Post
    When you look down at the rocker, he's still flat on his back, but his hands are folded behind his head as he looks at the sky. With a grunt, he stands up again and dusts himself off. "Two things. 1) That was incredibly bad-ass. 2) Don't mind my dad, he's a [insert favorite insult here]."
    Kid Zeus actually blushed at the complement. He hadn't even thought about it that way. He'd just gotten full of righteous anger and done what seemed right to him at the time. He scratched behind his head and grinned as Riff continued to talk. #2 was what made him stop and stare. "Wait," he said, surprised, "that was your dad?" He blinked a few times and looked back the way the cop had gone. "I'm sorry. If I'd known, I wouldn't...I mean, you might be getting it worse back home just because of me." he frowned. Damn it. His overactive conscience berated him with thoughts of what might be waiting for Riff once his dad got home and had a few drinks.

"I just- My dad's a cop, too." he stopped and started again. "I mean, you know...back on uh...Krypton."

Great job, idiot. A day on the job and you're already giving off clues to your secret identity. I'll bet Batman didn't screw up like this when he was starting out.

"Look, some guys like me, like us, are having a meeting tomorrow. We're thinking about doing something good with these powers we've got, get organized. Come by. That stuff you can do with the guitar is amazing!" he quickly changed the subject, giving Riff the information about Nosferatu's little get-together. He was then surrounded by a crackling, buzzing aura as he slowly lifted off the ground. "My name's Kid Zeus, by the way! See you around, bro!" he yelled as he rose out of sight behind the next building.
    Last edited by ChronicLunacy; 2008-01-11 at 05:12 PM.
    Paladin, Green Lantern, and Cyrine by DarthRaynn!

“I've never believed in the End of Times. We are Mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit -- we will kill it.”
    ― Travis Beacham, Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero

Spoiler
    Show

Kismet and Deadshot by kpenguin.

28. - Top - End - #658
    Barbarian in the Playground

Gust
    Day 2, around 8 p.m.

Well, here goes nothing. Almost as soon as he turned over to begin his patrol, he heard three police sirens to his left. Registering even before he turned that the three squad cars were headed in the same direction and quite close together, Gust was unsurprised to see them in pursuit of a blue sports car. He froze, for a moment torn between his resolve and fear. As he forced himself onward, he noticed that the breeze around him was plucking at his clothes as if urging him toward the car chase. Without time to ponder this oddity, he leveled out into his fastest possible flight, and was pleased to find himself keeping up with all but the fastest cars. As he cut across a curve of the highway to put himself in front of the chase, the thought crossed his mind, This is why soldiers love combat, this fear and adrenaline, completely aware of every inch of yourself...what a rush.

Glad to find few other cars on the road, Gust alighted ((alit?)) in the middle of the highway. Pushing his dark hood back to reveal startlingly light blond and white-streaked hair, he saw with a smile that the oncoming cars were a little over a hundred yards away. Perfect. Let's make sure the cops don't lose this guy.

Seeing no reason for unnecessary dramatism, Gust kept his open hands by his side as he turned the winds that had previously been keeping him aloft into a full-blown gale. A small section of highway on the eastern side of Rainport temporarily became home to its very own hurricane ((1)). Focusing hard not to give in and just throw his head back and let the power surge through him, he amped up the power as far as he could, trying to catch the sports car and slow it down or turn it on its side with as little damage as possible to it or the surroundings, especially to the cop cars (which, fortunately for them, had begun dropping slightly behind).

Gritting his teeth as the cars bore down on him, Gust tried to relax and be as ready as possible for what might happen next. Time to make a difference.

((1. Sadly, without the actual storm, rain, and so forth - just really strong winds.))

In crunchy terms:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yay, finally combat!

-Trying to land just far enough in front of the chase to finish activating Air Mastery just as the sports car enters its range.
    -Attempting to wrap the winds under and/or around the car to slow or stop it, or turn it on its side, with as much attention to doing minimal damage as possible.
    -Spending an AP if the above is counted as Power Stretching.
    -Though Gust is not consciously aware of it (RP reasons only), he is readying an action, which will be triggered if he sees anyone attacking him.

-Power details are in my char sheet.
    -I found the details in Elemental Mastery about how fine my control is to be somewhat ambiguous, which is why I was unsure whether I'd need Power Stretching or not.
    Last edited by harmonictempest; 2008-01-11 at 11:05 PM.
    Notice: Weekends are unpredictable for me. Weekdays are not. Expect more consistent activity then.

Used to DM: Unlikely Comrades, A New Chance (OoC)
    Used to play: The Legend of Ashardalon, Tudor Mansion

PbP registration entry, last edited 8/17/09 (do have a look if I'm applying for your game)

Always interested in playtesting new/variant/homebrew rules. :-)

29. - Top - End - #659
    Halfling in the Playground

“The Man”
    Day 2: 3:30 PM

“My good doctor, I have much to speak on and as a consequence this may take more time than you can spare, but I will endeavor to be brief. If at any time you have any interjections please let me know. To begin I have four different medical projects to request. I will go over each one in detail, and the reasons why I am requesting these experiments.”

As he began his long explanation he felt strong mental and emotional stirrings within that seemed to empower his speech and clarify his words.
    “First, I will begin with the project I mentioned at the press conference. I propose that we research both cellular and sexual reproduction of mutant cells, both with mutant and human gamete donors in as many permutations as possible. There are plentiful reasons for this, as I am sure you know. The chief reason of course is to determine if we are indeed a different species. Why? Well the possible political ramifications are enormous. Do we as mutants also have the same rights as humans? The answer of course must be a resounding Yes, but to ensure that we have those rights we need to act. Without a clear and public knowledge of our genetic compatibility, our rights may remain uncertain.”
    “Another reason for this project is to determine the future of mutant-kind. Are we mutants doomed to a reproductive dead end? If each individual mutant is a separate species with no possibility hybrids, we may be destined to disappear from the face of the earth. Perhaps this genetic mambo that went on within our cells has permanently sterilized each mutant. Another possibility is that while mutants cannot reproduce with each other due to the extreme changes to our DNA, we may still be compatible enough with the base human genetic stock that a human-mutant pairing may result in reproductively viable offspring. Hopefully mutants will be completely reproductively compatible with each other as this would be the easiest way to ensure our future. Our future will, of course, fundamentally alter the future of humankind as well, and as such these answers are vital to all.”
    “Results of this experiment will also help us determine if powers are inheritable. If they indeed are, then how will these powers be manifested? Will they begin manifesting their powers in the womb? If so this could pose serious health risks to a human woman who is with child by a mutant father. Also will the powers that are inherited be identical or will they vary from generation to generation? Will a human-mutant coupling produce powers different from a mutant-mutant coupling, and if so, how? By gaining knowledge of the mechanics of the inheritance of powers, we may gain greater insight in how these powers actually work.”
    “Finally any and all embryonic stem cells that are generated from this experiment can in and of themselves lead to further useful experiments in discovering mutant physiology.”

“The next project that I propose is strongly related to the previous one, but it involves not cell reproduction, but the immune response of donated tissues. As you obviously know until now, human donors have had restrictions on what blood type they can receive mostly because of antigens found on the surface of red blood cells. However with this great change in mutant physiology, our blood may be rejected by human recipients as being foreign and vice versa. This not only applies to blood, but also to organs that are donated. From what my assistant has told me, all attempts at xeno-transplantation have proved unsuccessful, and thus there may be far more problems in mutant-human blood and organ compatibility than simple Rhesus factors and blood types. We need to find out how cells of humans and mutants interact with each other to stem the tide of medical mishaps and organ and blood rejections that may take place. If humans and mutants are not compatible in that sense, it would necessitate the creation of a screening program to separate human from mutant donors. This may also cause some medical shortages for mutants. Organ donors are few enough as it is, and we cannot afford to waste a single organ due to a compatibility mishap. This also brings up the problem of mutant to mutant organ donation. This simply may not even be possible depending on how different our internal makeup has become. Even if it is possible, there may be far more factors involved in determining compatibility. This research is vital for the future reference as the medical needs of the mutant population becomes an issue.

“The third experiment is on a more hopeful note. Let me start with a personal example. My skin seems to secrete a substance that causes intense euphoria in women. One possible medical use may be to treat chronic pain in women. Now this is a singular example, but I suspect that due to the changes in our internal chemistry, each mutant has many new and exiting compounds that may be of use to medical science. I propose that cell samples be collected and categorized by the mutant’s powers. Thus we may be able to find substances related to those powers in treating the sick and injured. The mutant known as inferno for example may have fire retarding compounds, as well as compounds that may be used to treat burn victims. This is of course pure supposition, but the medical possibilities are endless.”

“And finally I come to a slightly selfish request. I admit that this last request is mostly for my own benefit, but it is one that I nevertheless feel is a great value to the medical community, as well as humanity at large. I would first ask that you hold in your confidence what I am about to tell you. This sexy godly form is not my only form. Indeed I have a mundane form which overcomes me in times of sleep, exhaustion, and boredom. This other form is inhabited by a most repulsive personality, which would make the men and women of this world recoil in disgust. It is the anal polyp of humanity, a form so repulsive that so see it is to know true horror. Besides these mental triggers I do not know what causes this abhorrent form to manifest. All I know is that I must be rid of it. I would gladly volunteer cell samples to help diagnose this disorder, and to finally be rid of that pustuled boil of a man. Now, there are other possible medical benefits of solving the dilemma of this disorder. Firstly this may give insight into mutants that have difficulty controlling their powers. They may have a similar dilemma as myself, and as a consequence have problems accessing their powers. Secondly finding a means of suppressing this walking infected ingrown-toenail, meaning my alter-ego, may serve as a means of suppressing similar negative effects that other mutants may have. Some mutants’ powers are triggered on contact, which may cause unintentional adverse affects. Researching and solving my predicament may be the means to solving many mutant power related issues.”

“Now I would have you know that I am not only ready, but willing to expend a great portion of my time and energy in the research projects mentioned above. Just so you know, much of these ideas I have presented here were fleshed out with the help of my assistant, Angie. While I am no scientist, and I am surely not as knowledgeable as many of your medical staff, I am sure that my powers can be of great assistance in finding the answers to the questions I have posed. If possible I will make monetary contributions from my upcoming business toward funding these research projects. My charisma and sexiness can be used to help gather volunteers as well as grants. Just let me know how I may assist, and I will gladly follow.”

Summary: Use Amazing Diplomacy to request the following:
    1) Research Reproduction compatibility.
    2) Research Immune response and donor compatibility.
    3) Research special mutant secretions for possible medical applications.
    4) Find the cause and get rid of Fauntleroy (his alter ego).

Spoiler
    Show
    Use Power: Amazing Diplomacy 2PP
    If diplomacy check is needed: (1d20+47)[14](61)(Amazing Diplomacy & Super Style)
    Last edited by blennus; 2008-01-12 at 12:59 AM.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

I appologize for missing both Legion and Draven in my last post.

Legion
    {wow, totally wasn't expecting that, and neither were the guards}

Your utterly suicidal manuever somehow actually works in your favor. You dash past the 3 guards who've taken refuge in the office, none of them manage to get a shot off as you wiz past. You barrell down to the Deposit room and point your gun at the guy grappling your other clone and shout your death threat. The guard obviously thinks you're an idiot, but you're an idiot with a big honkin' gun, where as he and the other guard in the security room never bothered to regain their firearms {Do'h}. The 2 guards present in the Deposit area release the Dupe and give up without a fuss, their hands raised in surrender.

Draven/ Jason/ Jen

As you and Jason try to sort things out, a few other nurses and doctors come out of the hospital. Their immediate concern is obviously Jen (which you gather is her name as everyone is calling her that) but they don't want to get too close to hurt for fear of injury. Then another famous figure of the hospital emerges as a neon orange cheetah bolting arcoss the courtyard. Erica shifts back to her normal form (which resembles a dryad) and embraces Jen, trying to comfort her.

It was obviously a good idea for a normal person to touch Jen in these circumstances, judging by how violently Erica is now suddering along with Jen, but Erica's tougher skin is apparently protecting her, at least a little. After a moment, Jen visibly calms down, but is still very much freaked out.

Attention then turns to the two of you, but no one is entirely too sure what to do or say.

{To Draven: Erica reads as Moderate in cheetah form, but Minor in normal form. Jen reads as Major, barely, until she calms down at which point she reads as Moderate.}

Reaper/Nos/Pulse

In response to Reaper, the Mayor says "Basically, you won't be working for us every day during that time, but during that period you'll basically be "on call" so to speak. Essentially, every now and then we have the right to call in a favor that needs your unique talents. We won't ask you to kill of course, and if you perform admirably for us, we'll reduce your 'sentence'."

The Lt. General* then adds "A sample favor we would ask would be to gather intel on a local gang's activities. Or maybe aid in stopping a crime in progress. Potentially helping us neutrolize a renegade mutate. Though if you feel like picking up litter, no one would stop you from doing so in your free time."

*{whose name I should really try to remember}

Murky

The big guy has left the trap door, and is roughly in the middle of the room, which is at most 15' from any wall, facing away from the trap door. As you peer into the trap door, you see 3 other thugs, notably much smaller in build than the other one. There is also good news and bad news. Good news: you have found proof of gun-trafficing occuring at the Pawn shop, Bad news: you have found proof of gun-trafficing occuring at the Pawn shop. That loud bang you heard earlier was them apparently moving some crates around; crates that are filled to the brim with guns. There are currently 2 open crates, 1 held the cannon the big guy has (there are no more in the crate) and the other holds shot guns (and ammo), which the thugs have in their hands.

Kid Zeus/ Riff

"Well, he's only my biological father, he left my mom when he found out she was pregnant. He didn't even recognize me, and I'm my street cloths, *mutters a few insults*. I just might show at that little meeting of yours, but I'm a little more interested in seeing Krypton." he ads with a smirk, before continuing on saying "Call me Riff, and see you around Zeus." A few power cords later and he's airborne.

{And because you're all interested in theme songs at the moment, here's the song Riff was playing for the crowd, minus the drums of course, he's not that good... yet.}

Gust
    Rainport temporarily became home to its very own hurricane
    {You're not kidding, you can make winds up to 150mph, that's nearly a category 5 hurricane!}

The sports car (which you can now tell is a Lamborghini) comes barrelling at you, but when your wind hits it, the effect is dramatic. The side mirrors are taken off almost instantly, and the car comes to a halt about 10ft from you, even though the wheels are still spinning furiously. The stop came so abbruptly, that even the air bags deployed.

As the police come to a stop behind the car, you notice the sports car starts to slide backwards a bit; whoever was behind the wheel has let off the gas for one reason or another.

The Man

After your "little" speech, Dr. Wilson responds "You will endeavor to be brief huh? For my sake, don't try to be verbose." with a bit of a smirk.

"Now to answer you, I shall go point by point. Your concern over the, for lack of a better term, "interbreeding" between mutates and humans, or even mutates and mutates is justified. We have gathered a significant amount of data in this regard, albeit unintentionally, when we were collecting data to ascertain if any methods of treatment were available. A few of our patients have either lost their reproductive organs or they have undergone such a radical transformation that they can no longer concieve and/or give birth to a child, human mutate or otherwise. However, our initial observations allow us to hypothesize that such inter-relations are in fact possible by those that still possess the means. The mutagen left the "human base" intact and added their mutate properties onto the human base. The process by which gamate production takes places and the relative structure of the mutate "addition", lead me to believe that specific abilities will not be hereditary, but there is roughly a 40% chance of inheriting and expressing abilities of some kind, and roughly a 20% chance of effectively being a carrier of mutate abilities. Furthermore, I hypothesize that mutate abilities will most likely lie dormant in new borns for several year at the earliest. My initial hypothesis is that the mutate population is effectively a sub species of homo sapien. On the other hand, everything I've been taught in my 40+ years in the medical field has informed me that mutations such as these simply cannot be, and yet here we are."

"The matter of organ donation is... complex, to say the least. Some of my patients are exhibiting unknown bloodtypes, and others no longer truly have blood circulating through their viens. My initial belief is that in most cases, a mutate will be able to recieve a human organ, of the appropriate blood type, but the odds of a rejection increase by a staggering amount if attempted in reverse. I would only recommend a mutate donor for a human in the absolute most dire of circumstances; there are simply too many variables to account for."

"We have already started on your third proposition. Progress is understandably slow, and many patients outright refuse, as is their right. It's also an ethical issue; do we really want to "harvest" these people? And if we do, where do we draw the line? Furthermore, some of our findings are counter intuitive. With the Inferno gentleman for example, his skin essentially allows for permanent combustion, he is literally being burnt alive. It's not his powers that cause him to be on fire, he burns whether he wants to or not."

"Now for your final request, I cannot help you, or rather, I will not help you. I am a man of science, I do not play God. I will not kill the Hyde to save the Jekyll. I shall not reveal your secret, I am a man of my word, and on my word, I shall not rid you of your alter-ego. The ends do not justify the means, ever."

"Now, I of course will accept any assistance you have to offer. I am not proud enough to ignore the fact that we all need help in this time, however at the current time, we have no immediate need for your abilities or resources. But should you feel the need to contribute in the future, we will alert you to any situations that could use your assistance."
    Last edited by geez3r; 2008-01-12 at 06:19 PM.