New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Build for approaching virtual immortality

Thought experiment. Not meant to be used outside of solo play.
    I'm trying to think about a built that at least approaches unkillability, if reaching it is unreasonable.

1) I would prefer to NOT turn the character into a (complete) undead or construct.
    2) I want not to use the Epic Level Handbook

Only official d&d 3.5 material, plus Dragon Magazine (which in my opinion IS official , but I accept that some do not consider it so).

This is what I thought about so far, more or less:

Wizard 5/Pale Master 10
    Core race human

Feats:
    * Troll Blooded
    * Tomb-Born Vitality (no need for rest or sustenance)

Important class features:
    * Tough as Bone/Deathless Mastery

So, so far the character is certainly immune to:

- non lethal damage (which includes ALL damage barring fire and acid)
    - coup de grace / massive damage (barring fire and poison)
    - disease
    - stunning
    - poison
    - sleep effects
    - paralysis
    - death effects
    - critical hits
    - ability drain
    - energy drain
    - damage to physical ability scores
    - thirst / starvation / fatigue / exhaustion

And he could be immune (but I'm not sure) to:
    - sneak attack, assassin death attack, bleeding, beheading (due immunity to critical hits)
    - death by removal of vital body parts (due regeneration)

While he's not immune to:
    - suffocation and drowning
    - inhaled poisons (mabye? not sure)
    - disintegration
    - turning into stone
    - fire / acid

About fire / acid damage I was thinking about the Half Elemental templates, although the LA is heavy.

Any help to improve the build is welcome. Feats and class features rather than equipment if possible. And, if templates, something that can be acquired after birth, through a deliberate action (like the Half-Elemental template) rather than something innate (like the Half-Dragon).
    Last edited by Samael Morgenst; 2024-05-11 at 07:34 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Build for approaching virtual immortality

Troll-Blooded doesn't require human, right? Simply be an air gnome or goblin to take care of having to breathe.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Join the new Junkyard Wars round and build with Cloaked Dancer and a companion creature!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Troll Blooded
    Type: General
    Source: Dragon #319

Your family tree contains the blood of the trolls of the Thillonrian Peninsula.
    Prerequisite: Toughness
    Region: Frost Barbarians, Ice Barbarians, Pale, Snow Barbarians, (Oerth).
    Benefit: You gain regeneration 1 as an extraordinary ability. Fire and acid deal normal damage to you. If you lose a limb or a body part, the lost portion regrows in 3d6 days. You can reattach the severed member as a full round action by holding it to the stump. You are fatigued while exposed to sunlight.
    Special: You can take this feat at 1st level only.

Sadly, yes, it requires being human.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Samael Morgenst View Post
    Sadly, yes, it requires being human.
    Where does it say that? The greyhawk wiki tells me there's gnomes among the snow barbarians, an air gnome should be possible.

Edit: Also, PGtF page 8 is very explicit that regional feats don't restrict race that heavily - an immigrant from elsewhere could be an unusual race and still qualify for a regional feat.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2024-05-11 at 07:45 AM.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Join the new Junkyard Wars round and build with Cloaked Dancer and a companion creature!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I've actually done this exact thought experiment before.

https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...08&postcount=1

You're immune to just about everything as an incorporeal swarm in an AMF that you ignore.

A noncaster alternative is to play a warforged ranger 5 / Master of Many Forms 7 / Warforged Juggernaut 5 / X 3 (maybe Warblade for Iron Heart Surge). You live in War Troll form, use a ring of acid immunity or something similar, and carry a tower shield to block AMFs. You're immune to most things, you have sky-high fort saves (and will saves if you use Steadfast Determination) for those things that you're not immune to, and you can Iron Heart Surge that which you somehow fumble your saves on. Maybe a cleric dip for the pride domain would be a nice addition, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ah...
    well, I don't know. I always thought the Oerth northern barbarians were humans.

Anyhow, if possible, I would prefer to keep the character human, if there is a perk or feat or class that can solve expediently the suffocation problem.

If there is none, then air gnome will be.

A noncaster alternative is to play a warforged
    I apologize with everyone for not writing that in the first post: I prefer standard humans because they feel more "homo faber characters". I mean, I like the concept of acquiring powers rather than being born with them. Because birth leaves everything to chance.
    Last edited by Samael Morgenst; 2024-05-11 at 08:31 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I’m not sure if it goes against your “don’t be a complete Construct” thing, but Renegade Mastermaker makes it so you no longer have to breathe. Unfortunately, since it eats up 10 levels, the only way I can see to squeeze in all the immunities without going epic is to use Warforged Juggernaut.

I believe Mantle of the Fiery Spirit never got an equivalent update to the one Mantle of the Icy Soul did. Some templates I think are fun combinations with Troll Blooded are Imix-Blooded, Tainted-Blood, Gheden, Amphibious, and Acidborn, though not all of those are appropriate for a player character.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Usually, you deal with Disintegration and Petrification by getting some armor/shield that is proof against transmutation. It's a +5 bonus equivalent in complete arcane.

Getting your brains scooped out by illithids to become a voidmind (LA+3) is pretty solid. You are immune to acid, mind-affecting, ability damage, ability drain, and energy drain.

You can also pick up immunity to fire from bloodlines.

Immunity to daze is another big one that can be fairly important.