1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Isoria's Legacy

OOC: You can just buy small arrows.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gaseous Snake View Post
    After finishing his scan of the crew, Wolfram approached Sallus.

"Good sir, I would like to ask you a few questions. First, I want a few clarifications as to our role on your ship. I know it is our duty to ensure the safety of your mission. However, are we to be independent agents, or do you wish us to follow one of your crew's orders? Do you have some battle master or tactician or some other role that is in charge of the defense of your ships? Are we able to command your men, and if so, who can we expect to listen to what we may order? Thank you in advance for these clarifications."
    "Good questions, Sir Wolfram," Sallus replied, "you are directly under my command. You take orders from myself and from Weyarnikahto, although mine supersede his. You can ignore orders from the other captains and officers, although you should strongly consider listening to them on nautical matters. Each captain is in command of their own sailors - it's a matter of tradition - although if we're in the middle of a battle and you see sailors separated from their immediate superior, well, if you can take command of a situation, do so. Any further questions?"

Having finished, Wolfram lowered his voice and continued talking to Sallus.

"In addition, I was wondering how long you have known Captain Tybaut and Girardino de Parma? As a paladin, I have been gifted with the ability to discern who among us is of selfish or evil intentions. Those two have registered as being evil, which concerns me, as one of them is your navigator. I do not presume to tell you what you should do with your crew, but I can not fail to warn you. I will try to keep on eye on them, if you wish me to."
    Sallus also lowered his voice as he replied. "Stay away from Girardino and he won't bother you. He's not the most pleasant man, but he's a gifted navigator. I assure you, though, he's merely spineless, not dangerous. As for Captain Tybaut...you might just want to stay away from him. He's a brave sailor and he runs a tight ship, but I expected you and he might not see eye to eye. However, I expect you not to start trouble with him. Keep of his ship if that's what you need to do. Understood?"

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HidaTsuzua View Post

After locating Captain Perronella more, Ambrosius found her directing some sailors. Walking up to her, he spoke.

"Greetings again Captain Perronella. I was talking to Captain Sallus and he recommended your ship as the best one for my bat to use to land. I am also curious to know what is the average speed of the ships so I can give it appropriate orders as well."
    Captain Perronella turned towards Ambrosius, looking disinterested. "You're the one with the big dead bat, right? Yeah, feel free to put in anywhere it's out of the men's way. Oh, and keep it out of the crow's nest, you hear? You can hang it from the rigging if you want, just make sure it doesn't tear the ropes or sails."

"The speed varies by the wind. We'll usually be going around 4 knots, but with a good wind we can make 8 knots."

OOC: There's no actual knowledge skill for it AFAIK, but I'm going to assume Ambrosius can figure out that this means boats move at 40 ft/rd normally, up to 80 ft/rd with a good wind.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Halfling in the Playground

Kronik bought 200 small arrows and will stash them on the ship he is to stay on.

His next step was to talk to Captain Nevelonne on the <i>Temperance</i>. He waited until the captain seemed reasonably unoccupied, but again in a semi-public place (also not sneaking into her cabin or anything) and then Decloaked.

“Hello, my name is Khronik and I was interested in the <i>Temperance</i>. What can you tell me about her? Also, Can you give me a crash course in navel tactics? First Mate Achaikos said you had experience in the Lormish navy. I want to know what I should do to repel borders and fight off sea monsters. My specialty is terrestrial reconnaissance, and to be honest, it’s my first time working on a boat. The gnomish people have a rather insignificant navy.

And, is there a spare bunk?”

5. - Top - End - #65
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pyroconstruct View Post
    "Good questions, Sir Wolfram," Sallus replied, "you are directly under my command. You take orders from myself and from Weyarnikahto, although mine supersede his. You can ignore orders from the other captains and officers, although you should strongly consider listening to them on nautical matters. Each captain is in command of their own sailors - it's a matter of tradition - although if we're in the middle of a battle and you see sailors separated from their immediate superior, well, if you can take command of a situation, do so. Any further questions?"

Sallus also lowered his voice as he replied. "Stay away from Girardino and he won't bother you. He's not the most pleasant man, but he's a gifted navigator. I assure you, though, he's merely spineless, not dangerous. As for Captain Tybaut...you might just want to stay away from him. He's a brave sailor and he runs a tight ship, but I expected you and he might not see eye to eye. However, I expect you not to start trouble with him. Keep of his ship if that's what you need to do. Understood?"
    Wolfram pondered for a moment, and then he told Sallus,

"Very well then, if you believe they won't be a problem, I shall endeavor not to interfere with your business by quarreling. It would be best for me to not be aboard Captain Tybaut's ship. Which ship do you wish for me to station myself on, or if you do not have such an order, which ship would you recommend?"

At some later point, Wolfram told the rest of the Brigade about the information he had received from Sallus, and recommended that they all keep an eye on the two evil officers.

OOC: I am not sure when I would tell everyone this, but I didn't want to forget to mention that Wolfram would do so. So I suppose he tells everyone when it makes sense for him to do so i.e. not while everyone is busy talking with people.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squee_nabob View Post
    Kronik bought 200 small arrows and will stash them on the ship he is to stay on.

His next step was to talk to Captain Nevelonne on the <i>Temperance</i>. He waited until the captain seemed reasonably unoccupied, but again in a semi-public place (also not sneaking into her cabin or anything) and then Decloaked.

“Hello, my name is Khronik and I was interested in the <i>Temperance</i>. What can you tell me about her? Also, Can you give me a crash course in navel tactics? First Mate Achaikos said you had experience in the Lormish navy. I want to know what I should do to repel borders and fight off sea monsters. My specialty is terrestrial reconnaissance, and to be honest, it’s my first time working on a boat. The gnomish people have a rather insignificant navy.
    Captain Nevelonne looked nonphased by Khronik's sudden appearance, and looked at him, seemingly unimpressed, while he talked. She gave Khronik a clear description of the seafaring abilities of the Temperance, outlining speed, sturdiness, and cargo capacity.

"Naval combat in this day and age is a mess. The basic way that fighting between groups of ships works is that if one side has better mages than the other, one ship lights on fire or sinks or something before anyone else gets close enough to do more than shoot arrows wildly. We have three casters, so we won't need to worry about what happens if we fight opponents with no magic-types - that shouldn't be a problem.

If we fight other ships that can either outlast or counter our mages, our ships will try to get next to the ships with their casters and stop them from throwing fireballs and the like, and they'll try to do the same to us. So, you either want to stay near Pauline or Ambrosius and try to ambush anyone who comes after them, or be ready to go after enemy casters when we board them.

Sea monsters, on the other hand, that's where the real fun begins. If it climbs on board our ships, kill it. If it sits in the water and attacks us, swim up to it and kill it. If it flies around, throw or shoot things at it. It's pretty simple, really. Also, if we're fighting something that shoots projectiles, make sure you take cover properly from the railing. Well, in your case, just stand by the railing."

And, is there a spare bunk?”
    "Sure," Captain Nevelonne said, "down there." She pointed belowdecks.

"Find a spare bunk, it's yours. Don't leave anything you don't want stolen in or on it."

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wolfram pondered for a moment, and then he told Sallus,

"Very well then, if you believe they won't be a problem, I shall endeavor not to interfere with your business by quarreling. It would be best for me to not be aboard Captain Tybaut's ship. Which ship do you wish for me to station myself on, or if you do not have such an order, which ship would you recommend?"
    "Take your pick. You can even move between ships if you need. Just be prepared for trouble."

8. - Top - End - #68

OOC: Is there any possible way to interpret Marie's quarters as "down there"?

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC: Nope.

10. - Top - End - #70

Again Khronik sought out Marie and waited for an appropriate moment to talk to her.

“I’ve talked to Captain Nevelonne, she said if I could find a spare bunk it’s mine. Since you have worked with the crew before, is there any advice you can give me about staying here? Should I try to act tough or friendly? How should I earn the crew’s respect, or at least them leaving me alone. Is there any particular bunks I should desire or avoid? Any unsavory characters on the crew I should be aware of?”

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

Captain Perronella turned towards Ambrosius, looking disinterested. "You're the one with the big dead bat, right? Yeah, feel free to put in anywhere it's out of the men's way. Oh, and keep it out of the crow's nest, you hear? You can hang it from the rigging if you want, just make sure it doesn't tear the ropes or sails."

"The speed varies by the wind. We'll usually be going around 4 knots, but with a good wind we can make 8 knots."
    "That sounds reasonable." Ambrosius replied. "I'm also curious if we will see much in the way of sea life in our travels, especially whales."

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Nature Check on how awesome whales/dolphins/sharks are for turning into zombies/skeletons.

(1d20+16)[30]

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

"That sounds reasonable." Ambrosius replied. "I'm also curious if we will see much in the way of sea life in our travels, especially whales."
    "I wouldn't be surprised if we saw far stranger things than whales. There's a lot under the water that you wouldn't expect."

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Nature Check on how awesome whales/dolphins/sharks are for turning into zombies/skeletons.

[roll0]
    Spoiler
    Show

Although finless swimming sharks sound pretty wierd, under the rules they can exist. From a cursory glance, whales seem like they'd be the most effective as undead (since it's HD based).

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

Again Khronik sought out Marie and waited for an appropriate moment to talk to her.

“I’ve talked to Captain Nevelonne, she said if I could find a spare bunk it’s mine. Since you have worked with the crew before, is there any advice you can give me about staying here? Should I try to act tough or friendly? How should I earn the crew’s respect, or at least them leaving me alone. Is there any particular bunks I should desire or avoid? Any unsavory characters on the crew I should be aware of?”
    Marie smiled at Khronik as she replied, "What makes you think they'll see you?"

"Well, if they do happen to notice you, just don't wake up the sailors when they're sleeping on their off-shifts, and if you need to talk about something, talk about how bad the food is. That's always a popular topic."

14. - Top - End - #74

Marie smiled at Khronik as she replied, "What makes you think they'll see you?"
    You can see me, the captain can see me, I'd hope some of the lookouts can see me too.

15. - Top - End - #75

After his conversation with Marie Khronik went up to Pauline and said "Captain Nevelonne said that if we fight pirate ships that I should stay near you and try to protect you

while you destroy them." On his face Khronik wears his "serious" look, which he believes to look solemn and resolute, but really looks more like a little kid wearing his father's suit, nothing seems to fit and it is wholly ridiculous.

"To that end, I invite you to stay on the <i> Temperance </i> with Captain Nevelonne and me. Would you like that?"

16. - Top - End - #76
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

"Yes, that would be nice" replied Pauline.

17. - Top - End - #77

"Thank you" replied Khronik, on his best behavior

And off the hafling and gnome went to find Captain Nevelonne, to ask her about berthing and any suggestions on naval magical warfare

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

Captain Nevelonne gave Pauline a quick rundown of naval tactics, and also lent her several books on the theory of naval warfare. Among the main points were:

*2nd level and higher spells are major elements of naval warfare.
    *If one side has 2 or more spell levels over the other, under normal circumstances it's an almost insurmountable advantage (ie, if one side has three 7th level wizards, and the other has one 11th level wizard, the side with the 11th level wizard will usually win. The major exception is if one side is using Enlarged spells and the other isn't.
    *The major way to counteract this is have a way of killing enemy spellcasters before they fireball your ships. This is why they're worried about Pauline and Ambrosius being well-protected. Also, once boarding actions begin, arcane spellcasters are usually the first target.
    *Long-range fireballs are really popular; it's often a good idea, if you expect fireballs, to hold actions to counterspell them.
    *Captain Nevelonne points out the obvious uses of fireball (take out rigging/sails, kill troops), web(web oars to cripple ships that rely on rowing), and haste (haste melee combatants).

Captain Nevelonne put Pauline in a bunk near the ladder leading abovedecks (so she can get up quickly in an emergency), and Khronik in a nearby bunk (to keep Pauline safe in an emergency).
    Last edited by Pyroconstruct; 2007-12-03 at 11:08 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC: Okay, I need to make sure I know which ship everyone is on. Pauline and Khronik are on the Temperance, Ambrosius is on the Highwind as is his bat. I think based on what's been said, Octavian will be moving from ship to ship so he can conduct services and such.

IC:

Once Sallus learned where the rest of the Sentinels were staying, he sought out Wolfram again.

"Wolfram," he said, "it's come to my attention that Ambrosius will be staying on the Highwind. Would you mind joining him there? I'd like to make sure all of the arcane spellcasters have a hand-to-hand fighter nearby in case we're boarded."

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC: Assuming I'm correct about which ships everyone is on, Khronik and Pauline are in bunks belowdecks on the Temperance, Ambrosius and Wolfram are assigned a small cabin to share on the Highwind (it's small and cramped, but better than what most of the common sailors have), and Octavian is offered a small cabin on the Venture to sleep in and store his personal effects, and space on all of the ships to conduct services.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

The ships went underway. As they pulled away from the port, Captain Sallus finally outlined the trade route they had set out.

"Our first stop will be in the dwarven lands, Kunai. We're currently carrying a shipment of magic items - wands and scrolls for arcane spellcasters in particular, and a few weapons designed to combat trolls. We're currently underloaded, as you may have noticed.

Once we arrive in Kunai, we're going to exchange, through a series of intermediaries, our shipment of magical gear for dwarven-crafted armor and weapons sized and shaped to fit centaurs. We're then taking that shipment further east, to the Centaur Plains. I have a contact among the centaur, who will help us set up a trade meeting.

We then exchange the weapons and armor at an excellent rate with the centaur for magic items they've gathered from the ruins in New Elbar. Last but not least, we head back to Lorm, sell those magic items, and get our profit. Here's our rough route," Sallus concluded, pointing to a world map with a course sketched in red.

"The most dangerous parts will be this part," he said pointing, "where we pass through Hobgoblin-controlled waters, and this leg," pointing again," where we take a long journey across the open sea without any land nearby."

"Any questions?"

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC: I mailed out a copy of the trade route. Check your email for it.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC: Three posting "topics." First, if you're not doing what I predicted on the "which ship are you on" front, speak up now. Second, record anything you want to talk about or whatnot with Sallus's trade route and explanation. Thirdly, after that:

IC: The first several weeks aboard ship were uneventful, as Sallus's fleet traced around Lorm, then north to the Igalian Peninsula. After a brief stop in Igal City to take on fresh supplies for the long journey ahead, the ships continued around the Igalian Peninsula east, and prepared to cross the Korthane Channel.

OOC: Post what you're doing for the first part of the journey. This doesn't have to be long or detailed - either outline in general what you're occupying yourself with, or alternatively provide a "snapshot" of your activities, as you choose.
    Last edited by Pyroconstruct; 2007-12-03 at 11:09 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84

OOC:
    Khronik is fine with his bunking and the trade route.

IC:
    Khronik spent his time aboard ship doing the following activities: guarding Pauline when ever another ship is spotted, talking to Marie, warming her up, and a few more “events”. Every night Khronik wrote in his journal, recording the days events. He gambled with the crew at nights, and spent days alongside Marie as she ran the ship (except for when another vessel or monster was spotted and then he was alongside Pauline). Every few days Khronik went to the <i> Highwind </i> or <i> Venture </i> to talk to the other sentinels and keep current on their actives. At one point Khronik got smashed the flock up and demonstrated gnomish river dancing with his pants on his head.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

OOC:
    Wolfram has no problems with his ship assignment

IIC:
    Wolfram spent some of his time talking with various members of the crew. His intent was to get a feel for who would or would not be dependable in a fight. Similarly, he also spent some time talking with the various officers (except for Tybaut and Girardino). He mostly stayed on the Highwind, though if he had the opportunity he would want to talk to the officers of the other ships. He spent at least an hour a day practicing with his weapons, to get accustomed to fighting on a ship. Additionally, he summoned Gringolet so he could also get used to the ship. Finally, Wolfram spent a few hours discussing strategies for fighting Hobgoblin raiders with Captain Perronella and the rest of the Sentinels.

OOC:
    Hmm, I can't think of anything else that would be logical for my character to do. Am I missing something obvious?

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC:
    Wolfram has no problems with his ship assignment

IIC:
    Wolfram spent some of his time talking with various members of the crew. His intent was to get a feel for who would or would not be dependable in a fight. Similarly, he also spent some time talking with the various officers (except for Tybaut and Girardino). He mostly stayed on the Highwind, though if he had the opportunity he would want to talk to the officers of the other ships. He spent at least an hour a day practicing with his weapons, to get accustomed to fighting on a ship. Additionally, he summoned Gringolet so he could also get used to the ship. Finally, Wolfram spent a few hours discussing strategies for fighting Hobgoblin raiders with Captain Perronella and the rest of the Sentinels.

OOC:
    Hmm, I can't think of anything else that would be logical for my character to do. Am I missing something obvious?
    OOC: I'll let you guys discuss naval tactics amongst yourselves. The info you have about the Hobgoblin navy is a bit sketchy and out-of-date. Hobgoblins primarily use 2 types of ships: a small, fast one (somewhat similar to a viking longship) and large galleys. Both types have sails and rowers. Hobgoblin ships will almost always have a cleric on board, and some longships and all galleys can be expected to have a wizard or sorcerer. Both types of ship are faster than yours (because of the rowing).

OOC: Spending enough time, you can get an idea of how combat-capable the officers are. I'm going to just express this in terms of what class they are, for simplicity. Wolfram is avoiding Girardano and Tybaut, so Ii put "?" next to them. If you want to RP a conversation/interaction with any of these people, say so; otherwise I'm going to assume you're just making "small talk" and trying to evaluate if they know how to fight.

Captain Sallus: Expert, about your level.
    Weyarnikhato: Expert, about your level.
    Girardano de Parma: ?

Captain Perronella: Expert, lower level than you.
    Clyment Clere: Warrior, lower level than you.

Captain Nevelonne: Fighter, lower level than you.
    Marie Achaikos: Expert, lower level than you.

Avery Twins: Rangers, about your level.

Captain Tybaut: ?
    Lorenz de Guerneles: Rogue, lower level than you.
    Last edited by Pyroconstruct; 2007-11-28 at 08:44 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

OOC:
    Octavian is fine with this arrangement.

IC:
    Octavian moved about the ships frequently during the first few week of the voyage. He gave short, simple, and straightforward services for those interested in attending. He stuck to simple, all-purpose, non-controversial sermons and parables that any follower of one of Vaal's saints would find palatable. He attempted to be non-confrontational and friendly to the crew, laying low and hoping that no one would look to closely at his religious credentials.

Octavian pretended to be a sorceror as well as a cleric, so that it would not be suspicious when he demonstrates knowledge of certain spells, such as Fly and Invisibility. Therefore he made a point of discussing nautical combat with the officers and learning about his role.

"I can command the elements to create treacherous whirlpools or summons small water elementals which are capable of slowing or stopping ships. How much faster than us are these hobgoblin vessels? Is it possible that I could make enough of a difference to allow us to outpace them, or do they also make use of this tactic?"

Tech:
    Spoiler
    Show
    In case I need to bluff to pull this off;

Bluff: "I am a sorceror/cleric, not a Cleric with Travel and Trickery, lol"
    (1d20+12)[29]
    Last edited by Lord Zod; 2007-12-03 at 12:09 AM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zod View Post
    OOC:

Octavian pretended to be a sorceror as well as a cleric, so that it would not be suspicious when he demonstrates knowledge of certain spells, such as Fly and Invisibility. Therefore he made a point of discussing nautical combat with the officers and learning about his role.

Tech:
    Spoiler
    Show
    In case I need to bluff to pull this off;

Bluff: "I am a sorceror/cleric, not a Cleric with Travel and Trickery, lol"
    [roll0]
    OOC: Nobody questions this. However, just an FYI: Octavian would know that someone who watches him cast, thinks about it, and has sufficient ranks in Knowledge: Religion and Knowledge: Arcana would realize he's casting them as divine spells. It would take a second Knowledge: Religion check to realize that those are only domain spells for St. Elar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zod View Post
    "I can command the elements to create treacherous whirlpools or summons small water elementals which are capable of slowing or stopping ships. How much faster than us are these hobgoblin vessels? Is it possible that I could make enough of a difference to allow us to outpace them, or do they also make use of this tactic?"
    Captain Nevelonne answered Octavian's question:
    "Yes, that's a good idea. Such tactics are often used, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't use it too. However, don't bother delaying pursuit if we don't actually have a means of escaping - save the spells for when they'll help. Do pay attention to using spells like that to seperate ships, if we're fighting more than one. Another thing to watch out for is if we go up against a faster ship with a wizard that can outrange Pauline's fireballs with their own attack spells - they might try to stay in the range where they can fire on us and we can't fight back. If that happens, be ready."

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ambrosius kept to himself on-board. Being a true elf and putting on noble airs meant you were given a large berth even on a otherwise close quarters ship.
    When he needed to be even more alone, he would ride his bat.

Looking over his spellbook for good spell selections, he felt the reassuring icy chill of his beloved.

"Ah there you are dear," Ambrosius spoke to the ghost.

"I'm rarely not. Usually I'm over your shoulder. There isn't much to do on this ship. I'll rather not possess those dirty seamen and I'm tired of the bat. Isn't there something nice and worthwhily alive out here?" Aurelia said with a pout.

"There will be a whale or a passing ship for you. If not, there are always centaur."

"A horseman? Why would I want to mess with them?"

"They're new."

"True. You always knew how to point out the bright side of things," Aurelia said with her ghostly fingers going though Ambrosius. "How goes the mission?"

"I'm hoping to run across something in the new continent. At the very least, gain enough power to take on the mind flayers. The rumors of eternal brains is too much for me to leave alone." But then Ambrosius realized he was alone again. "Ah Aurelia, always with the teasing."

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC: There are finals going around, expect more action next week.