New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Isoria's Legacy

1. - Top - End - #91
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Default Re: Isoria's Legacy

Pauline is fine with the arrangements, she mostly keeps to herself and is shy. She talks with Khronic on occasion, and Octavian when he visits.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC: I'm going to split this up into spoilered sections, since you don't necessarily know what's happening to other people. Also, I included only very basic information about what your characters are up to - feel free to expand it if you want. The following takes place late at night (about 2 AM) as the ships are beginning their journey across the Korthane Channel.

Khronik
    Spoiler
    Show

Khronik was up late playing cards with some of the sailors. The sailors were drunk, but Khronik was just a tee bit wipsy (tech: no penalties for intoxication). Right in the middle of a hand, Khronik heard a strange sound that reminded him of the sound a giant badger makes when burrowing through rock - coming from the bulkhead behind him. When he looked, however, he saw nothing - just the wooden wall.

Khronik knew that Pauline was asleep nearby.

Pauline
    Spoiler
    Show

Pauline was fast asleep in her bunk.

Wolfram
    Spoiler
    Show

Wolfram was up late on the ship deck, off by himself. The only others around were the night crew, quietly running the ship.

OOC: Wolfram can either be praying or self-flagellating, your choice.

Wolfram's thoughts were interrupted by a sudden cracking sound and a light splash that came from over the side of the ship. He wasn't sure what could have caused it, but he was sure it wasn't just a wave. One of the sailors seemed to have noticed as well, and looked over towards Wolfram.

Ambrosius
    Spoiler
    Show

Ambrosius and Aurelia were in his room. Ambrosius was reading a book on marine life, while Aurelia was playing soft music on her lute. Both of them heard a distinctive series of four splashing sounds coming from off the side of the ship. A school of dolphins, perhaps?

Octavian
    Spoiler
    Show

Octavian was discussing some of the finer points of theology to Weyarnikhato, who he had learned was a convert to worship of Vaals. Weyarnikhato was asking about what St. Salva had meant in one of his sermons when both of them heard a very loud, distinctive screeching noise from over the side of the boat, followed by a loud splash. As Octavian and Weyarnikhato turned to look, they heard three more high-pitched screeches and a scratching noise.
    Last edited by Pyroconstruct; 2007-12-31 at 05:23 PM.
    Avatar: Baron Blood by Uncle Festy.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

OOC: Since the other characters wouldn't be around to, I'll keep up what Bram started by posting in spoilers.

Spoiler
    Show

Octavian said to Weyarnikhato, "Did you hear that? I think perhaps we should be on the safe side and sound the alarm. Someone may have fallen overboard. I'm going to have a look, you go and get help."

Octavian goes to investigate the sound.
    Last edited by Lord Zod; 2007-12-31 at 07:18 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

OOC: Praying, I think.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wolfram told the crewman, "Go get the one in charge of the night crew, and be quick." Then Wolfram hurried to the side of the ship and tried to spot what had made the noise. Additionally, he began to pray to St. Menaz for assistance finding evil.

Tech:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot (1d20+2)[8]
    and Detect Evil, of course

5. - Top - End - #95
    Halfling in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: is the wall an interior or exterior wall? Either way his actions would be the same, but if it was an exterior wall, he might be more suspicious of magic, or want to go outside the boat to look.

Khronik heard the strange sound, which was common to his homeland, but should be impossible here. He folded out of the card game, and not daring to trust his ears, he stealthily pressed his ear to the wall, and listened again (Tech: taking 10 on listen). After that he sneaked over to Pauline and woke her up, shook her gently and whispered, “Something is wrong, I thought i heard something. Please wake up and do some magic or something”. Then he waits for Pauline to wake up and goes off to investigate the other side of the wall with her. (either it be interior or exterior).

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

"Dolphins? They might make good skeletons at the very least," Ambrosius said. "I'm going to be annoyed if it's an octupus. Let's check it out."

"Sure, darling." Aurelia said as she went though the ship.

Aurelia's Roll
    Hide Roll: (1d20+12)[25]
    Move Silently Roll: (1d20+12)[18]

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay, the "groups" are as follows.

Wolfram and Ambrosius are Group 1.

Pauline and Khronik are Group 2.

Octavian is all on his own in Group 3.

Because the party is separated, the groups may wind up on different turns; thus, I'm going to keep track of time and initiative for each group apart from the others.

Group 1: Wolfram and Ambrosius.

Spoiler
    Show

The crewman nodded to Wolfram and hurried off. Wolfram looked over the edge of the boat as he prayed for evil to be revealed. He detected the presence of evil, and as he looked over the boat, he saw what must be the source - four human-sized creatures climbing the side of the boat. They had stone-like skin covered with reeds and barnacles, horned heads, claws, and large fan-like fins between their arms.

They appeared to have noticed Wolfram as well, as the closest one pointed at him and screeched something in an unintelligible language. The creatures abandoned their attempt at stealth as they started rapidly clambering up the side of the ship.

Aurelia stepped through the bottom of the ship and floated ethereally out the side, expecting to find some sort of aquatic life. Instead, she was startled by a horrible shrieking noise, and looked up out of the water to see Wolfram peering down over the edge of the boat at four strange creatures clambering up at him. She had no idea what they creatures were. Neither Wolfram nor the monsters seemed to have noticed her.

Ambrosius heard the screeching sounds loudly and clearly, but he couldn't think of any animal that sounded quite like they did.

Initiative Order:
    Ambrosius (16)
    Creatures (15)
    Wolfram (5)
    Aurelia (4)
    Crewman (2)

1st normal round (full actions). It is presently Ambrosius's turn; he is inside his cabin on the main deck. Note that the door is closed. Also, Wolfram does not know Aurelia is present.
    Last edited by Pyroconstruct; 2008-01-02 at 05:52 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Dwarf in the Playground

Group 2: Pauline and Khronik
    Spoiler
    Show

Khronik woke Pauline up (OOC: see Khronik's section for what he says when waking her). After Khronik thought for a second, he realized that the wall was exterior - whatever made that noise must have been outside the ship.

Tech: Pauline and Khronik are not in combat. Describe your actions normally. Pauline did not hear whatever noise Khronik did.

Group 3: Octavian
    Spoiler
    Show

Weyarnikhato looked suspicious. "That ssscreeching, it doesssn't sssound like humanssss, nor animalssss. Be careful. I'll bring help." Weyarnikhato hurried off.

Octavian went over to the edge of the boat, scanning for what could have made the noise. Just as he reached the edge, three humanoid creatures crawled over the railing, obviously hostile. They had dark-colored skin, but in the dark Octavian couldn't see if it was scaled or smooth, especially since they were covered in barnacles, kelp, and seaweed. The creatures had clawed hands and feet, devilish-looking horns, and strange fan-like fins stretching between their arms. They hissed at Octavian and struck at him with their claws and fangs.

Tech: The creatures are taking attacks (they can't full attack because they moved). Right now all three are right in front of Octavian (in the three squares on his front; they don't move to flank because they would provoke Attacks of Opportunity. Also, I'm assuming Octavian has his shield and morningstar out, since his sheet lists his AC with the shield. Octavian is not surprised (since Weyarnikhato warned him to be careful) so he gets his full AC).

Creature 1 Claw - (1d20+6)[25]
    Creature 1 Bite - (1d20+4)[10]
    Creature 1 Claw Damage - (1d4+2)[6]
    Creature 1 Bite Damage - (1d6+1)[7]

Creature 2 Claw - (1d20+6)[21]
    Creature 2 Bite - (1d20+4)[24]
    Creature 2 Claw Damage - (1d4+2)[5]
    Creature 2 Bite Damage - (1d6+1)[3]

Creature 3 Claw - (1d20+6)[13]
    Creature 3 Bite - (1d20+4)[6]
    Creature 3 Claw Damage - (1d4+2)[4]
    Creature 3 Bite Damage - (1d6+1)[7]

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

Group 3: Octavian: Part 2

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative order is

Creatures: 11
    Octavian: 5

The creatures have just acted. Octavian took 14 points of damage. It is his turn. Octavian has no idea what they are.

Last edited by Pyroconstruct; 2008-01-02 at 06:10 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show

With gesture toward his holy symbol and a quiet prayer, Octavian soared into the air over the monster's heads, putting away his shield and preparing his magical spear. He yelled for assistance, "Monster attack! Three humanoids!"

tech:
    Spoiler
    Show

(OOC: Correction, Octavian had taken 17 points of damage, because creature 2's bite attack was a critical hit)

Round 1, Initiative 5:
    Octavian casts Fly on himself as a standard action.
    Concentration check to cast without provoking attacks of opportunity:
    [roll]1d20+13[/roll]

Then, as a move action he flies 35 ft over the creatures (presumably enough to be out of their reach next round, even if they jump, but not so far that I can't charge down and smack them with my 60ft fly speed, even if they move.)

Since his BAB is higher than +1, he can draw weapons as part of a move action, so he readies his magical longspear.

Then he yells for help as a free action.
    Last edited by Lord Zod; 2008-01-04 at 07:03 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

(OOC: Trying that roll again)

Spoiler
    Show

Concentration Check: (1d20+13)[30]

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    "That's no dolphin, mage armor," Ambrosius said to himself as his robes took on a blue glowing hue as he made his way to the deck.

Outside the ship, incorporeal Aurelia moved though the water keeping up with the attackers.

Tech:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ambrosius casts mage armor on himself and goes towards the deck (opening doors as needed). Next round he will cast False Life on himself unless something new happens.
    False Life Roll: (1d10+7)[13]

Aurelia is moving in on a humanoid. I believe she is manifested already (in order the play the lute and you don't need to roll for hide/move silently while ethereal). If ruled otherwise, she will manifest now. If/Once she can, she will use malevolence on one of the attacking humanoids. I'm not sure if I can use malevolence just walking into their square or I have to walk into the square and use a standard action to use malevolence. Either way, that's her goal.

DC for malevolence: 25 Will Save.

13. - Top - End - #103

Group 2 is going to post tonight, just waiting for lughtaj to stop leading a ZA raid (for some reason she can't roleplay while leading a raid)

14. - Top - End - #104
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zod View Post
    Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show

OOC: Good catch on the crit, although it needs to confirm. See tech section, below.

The creatures grasp and claw at Octavian as he flies above their heads, but they seem surprised at his ability to take flight and look confused. They look fiercely at Octavian and screech at him. From his higher vantage point, Octavian sees a fourth creature climbing up the side of the ship, although it's still only halfway up. Octavian also hears shouts from elsewhere on the ship, and he sees Weyarnikhato leading back a group of armed sailors.

Tech: AoO's (provoked by flying up, -1 penalty for attacking upwards):

AoO 1 - (1d20+5)[17]
    AoO 2 - (1d20+5)[16]
    AoO 3 - (1d20+5)[14]

AoO dmg 1 - (1d4+2)[4]
    AoO dmg 2 - (1d4+2)[3]
    AoO dmg 3 - (1d4+2)[3]

Did that threat from last round confirm crit - (1d20+4)[8]

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

Continued from above post.

Group 3: Octavian
    Spoiler
    Show

The creatures have readied an action.

Initiative currently stands at:

Weyarnikhato 16
    Sailors 16
    Creatures 11 (Readied)
    Octavian 5

It is presently Octavian's turn.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HidaTsuzua View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    "That's no dolphin, mage armor," Ambrosius said to himself as his robes took on a blue glowing hue as he made his way to the deck.

Outside the ship, incorporeal Aurelia moved though the water keeping up with the attackers.

Tech:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ambrosius casts mage armor on himself and goes towards the deck (opening doors as needed). Next round he will cast False Life on himself unless something new happens.
    False Life Roll: Creature 1 ClawAtk - (1d20+8)[21]

Aurelia is moving in on a humanoid. I believe she is manifested already (in order the play the lute and you don't need to roll for hide/move silently while ethereal). If ruled otherwise, she will manifest now. If/Once she can, she will use malevolence on one of the attacking humanoids. I'm not sure if I can use malevolence just walking into their square or I have to walk into the square and use a standard action to use malevolence. Either way, that's her goal.

DC for malevolence: 25 Will Save.
    Spoiler
    Show

Ambrosius casts Mage Armor and opens the door. Right after he does, the creatures clamber up the side of the ship, into Ambrosius's line of sight. They repeat their screeching noises and rip at Wolfram, although one leaves itself exposed, since Wolfram was prepared for their attack at the railing.

Meanwhile, Aurelia attempted to take over the body of one of the creatures on Wolfram's side.

Tech: Wolfram may take an AoO on Creature 2. Wolfram is flanked by #1 and #2 of the creatures (on his left and right), and two others are in melee range, but can't flank (since Wolfram is right at the side of the ship). Ambrosius is 50 feet away from the nearest creature.

Creature 1 ClawAtk - (1d20+8)[21]
    Creature 1 ClawDmg - (1d4+2)[5]
    Creature 1 BiteAtk - (1d20+6)[10]
    Creature 1 BiteDmg - (1d6+1)[6]

Creature 2 ClawAtk - (1d20+8)[10]
    Creature 2 ClawDmg - (1d4+2)[5]
    Creature 2 BiteAtk - (1d20+6)[23]
    Creature 2 BiteDmg - (1d6+1)[3]

Creature 3 ClawAtk - (1d20+6)[10]
    Creature 3 ClawDmg - (1d4+2)[6]
    Creature 3 BiteAtk - (1d20+4)[15]
    Creature 3 BiteDmg - (1d6+1)[2]

Creature 4 ClawAtk - (1d20+6)[9]
    Creature 4 ClawDmg - (1d4+2)[6]
    Creature 4 BiteAtk - (1d20+4)[18]
    Creature 4 BiteDmg - (1d6+1)[7]

Creature 1 Save vs. Malevolence - (1d20+4)[17]

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

Followup to Wolfram and Ambrosius:

Spoiler
    Show

Wolfram is hit for 3 points. Oops, I just realized Aurelia acts after Wolfram, not before. It is currently Wolfram's action; he sees Ambrosius but doesn't see Aurelia.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

OOC: Huh, I think there is an error on my character sheet. I listed my attack bonus with the warhammer as 12/7, but I think it should only be 11/6. Am I missing some bonus that would explain the discrepancy, or did I just make a mistake? I'll assume I did.

Spoiler
    Show
    IC:
    Wolfram swung his hammer as the vile creature approached and left itself open.

Before continuing the attack, Wolfram shouted, "All to arms! Enemies have boarded the ship!" Feeling confident after the creatures' weak initial effort, Wolfram decided to save his smiting for a more critical moment. Instead, he swung his weapon twice at the creature that he had previously attacked.

Tech:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The AOO:
    WarhammerAttack - (1d20+11)[18]
    Damage - (1d8+4)[8]

Full attack on creature 2:
    Attack1 - (1d20+11)[27]
    Damage1 - (1d8+4)[6]
    Attack2 - (1d20+6)[13]
    Damage2 - (1d8+4)[6]

19. - Top - End - #109
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show

"Waaurgh!" Octavian charged downward toward the creatures, stabbing at them while remaining tauntingly just out of reach. The air crackled with energy and reaked of ozone.

Tech:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Round 2:
    Octavian makes a charge attack and tries to hit creature 1 with his longspear, using his 10ft reach to take advantage of them being stuck on the deck.

I assume the creatures are readying their actions to attack me.

Case 1: They are smart enough to realize they wouldn't be able to attack me, and readied to try to disarm me instead.
    Then: Let me know, and we'll call this attack roll my attack of opportunity, and resolve the other part later.

Case 2: They weren't that smart.
    Then: I laugh at them.

Attack roll: (1d20+10)[26]
    Spear Damage: (1d8+4)[12]
    Electricity Damage: (1d6)[6]

20. - Top - End - #110

Spoiler
    Show

OOC: This conversation was kinda roleplayed thus why Pauline is god-moded inside

Khronik took a deep breath and slowed down, but still gestured wildly with his hands.

“I was playing cards, and then behind me I thought I heard the sound a <rrrrnnnnttt phhhggrrrr>” (gnomish)

Spoiler
    Show

“Giant Badger”

“makes when it’s digging through solid rock, back in my homeland.”

Pauline: “…a what?”

Khronik: “Well, the closest term in Lormish is “giant badger” but trust me, it’s scarier than it sounds.”

Pauline: “Have you been drinking?”

Khronik: “Only to make the pain of loneliness go away” (with an impish grin and an ill-timed belch). Now get up!”

Pauline: “Right… good night Khronik.” Pauline turned over to go back to sleep.

Khronik rolled her back over and pleaded, “Come on, I think I heard something. We’re being paid to safe guard these ships, not sleep. Plus we’re passing through the Korthane Channel, for all we know it could have been a summoned celestial badger or a trained attack badger, or even a non-badger related sound! At least get up and message the others or something, I can check it out if you are too scared.

Pauline: “Oh, you’re actually serious then? I assumed this was a drunken prank. All right, I’ll send a message and come out to investigate with you.”

Khronik: “That’s better, it came from beyond that bulkhead”, Khronik pointed at the wall, “we should go up and check on it.” Khronik walked over to his bunk and picked up his backpack and started rummaging through it for things.

Pauline grabbed her spell component pouch, and took out the following items…a short copper wire, a firefly, and a piece of cured leather. She picked up the copper wire, and held it up to her ear with the left hand, and with her right she pointed at the captain’s cabin as well as the other ships, and mouthed “Khronik swears he heard a noise, we are going to investigate the outside of <i> The Temperance </i>, please respond with your situation and we’ll get back to you”.

Then she cast light on a small copper coin (OOC: this assumes there are not a lot of torches on the deck readily available, if there are, then she skips light), and held it in her hand. She also cast mage armor on herself.

By this time Khronik had taken out his silk rope, and tied the end of it to his grappling hook, and the two of them climb up onto the deck, Khronik is HIPSing as normal, and then he looks over railing at the side of the ship, and listens intently. Pauline followed suit.

Case one: Khronik or Pauline hears or sees something, depends on what it is, for their next action.

Case two: If nothing is seen or heard, Khronik will slowly repel down the side of he ship, while still HIPSing. He ties one end around the ship, and ties himself into the rope (at Pauline’s suggestion) and starts to slowly repel down the side of the ship until he either reaches the water, can inspect the hull where he heard the noise, or something else happens.

All other characters heard Pauline’s voice in their head saying “Khronik swears he heard a noise, we are going to investigate the outside of <i> The Temperance </i>, please respond with your situation and ideas”.

Tech:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pauline is whispering Octavian, Ambrosius, and Wolfram, with the message “Khronik swears he heard a noise, we are going to investigate the outside of <i> The Temperance </i>, please respond with your situation and ideas”.

Pauline also casts Mage Armor and Light,

Khronik tied his rope to his grappling hook, taking 10 on use rope (result 14), Khronik is stealthed, and moving silently,

Khronik Move Silently: (1d20+14)[16]
    Khronik Hide: (1d20+16)[34] (including +2 vs medium creatures, but not including movement penalties (he is moving and ½ speed)
    Khronik Spot: (1d20+12)[17]
    Khronik Listen: (1d20+12)[18]
    Khronik Climb (vs knotted rope) (1d20-2)[-1]
    Pauline Spot: (1d20)[14]
    Pauline Listen: (1d20+2)[7]

Pauline has a torch casting 20ft radius light, and up to 40ft of shadowy illumination, and Khronik has 60ft dark vision and low light vision.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

(OOC: Can everyone hear our responses or just Pauline? Also, are we in the same time frame?)

22. - Top - End - #112

(OOC: replied to in the OOC thread, since time frame is an issue for bram)

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gaseous Snake View Post
    OOC: Huh, I think there is an error on my character sheet. I listed my attack bonus with the warhammer as 12/7, but I think it should only be 11/6. Am I missing some bonus that would explain the discrepancy, or did I just make a mistake? I'll assume I did.

Spoiler
    Show
    IC:
    Wolfram swung his hammer as the vile creature approached and left itself open.

Before continuing the attack, Wolfram shouted, "All to arms! Enemies have boarded the ship!" Feeling confident after the creatures' weak initial effort, Wolfram decided to save his smiting for a more critical moment. Instead, he swung his weapon twice at the creature that he had previously attacked.

Tech:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The AOO:
    [roll0]
    [roll1]

Full attack on creature 2:
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]
    Spoiler
    Show

OOC: I agree the +12 is an error, especially since it shows a higher bonus with the +1 mace than the MW lance. Wolfram probably had Weapon Focus factored in at one point or something like that.

Wolfram landed two solid blows on the creature; it seemed surprised that the first one hurt it, but then just angry. Everyone heard the crewman Wolfram had sent off yelling for help.

Tech: Wolfram inflicted 14 damage on it (the 13 misses, the other two hit). Aurelia's possession now works; she possesses Gargoyle 1. Since Ambrosius can now see the gargoyles, he may want to act instead of False Life, possibly. It is Ambrosius's action.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zod View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

"Waaurgh!" Octavian charged downward toward the creatures, stabbing at them while remaining tauntingly just out of reach. The air crackled with energy and reaked of ozone.

Tech:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Round 2:
    Octavian makes a charge attack and tries to hit creature 1 with his longspear, using his 10ft reach to take advantage of them being stuck on the deck.

I assume the creatures are readying their actions to attack me.

Case 1: They are smart enough to realize they wouldn't be able to attack me, and readied to try to disarm me instead.
    Then: Let me know, and we'll call this attack roll my attack of opportunity, and resolve the other part later.

Case 2: They weren't that smart.
    Then: I laugh at them.

Attack roll: Disarm1 - (1d20+2)[15]
    Spear Damage: Disarm2 - (1d20+2)[3]
    Electricity Damage: Resist1 - (1d20+8)[11]
    Spoiler
    Show

OOC: They were in fact smart enough to ready for disarm. The AoO hits for 18 damage, seriously injuring that creature. Since it got hit, the first critter's disarm fails, but the other two get a shot. I included Octavian's rolls since he has no choice in the matter.

Disarm1 - (1d20+2)[15]
    Disarm2 - (1d20+2)[3]
    Resist1 - (1d20+8)[11]
    Resist2 - (1d20+8)[25]

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

Octavian continued:
    Spoiler
    Show

Octavian badly injures one of the creatures as they try to grab his spear out of his hands, but another of them snatches the spear away from him and screeches in triumph as it pulls the spear free.

Tech: Octavian is disarmed. He loses his charge attack due to the interrupt ready making it impossible.

The creatures are rewarded by a hail of crossbow bolts from Weyarnikhato and the sailors.

Xbow1 - (1d20+1)[15]
    Xbow2 - (1d20+1)[5]
    Xbow3 - (1d20+1)[13]
    Xbow4 - (1d20+1)[4]
    Xbow5 - (1d20+1)[4]
    Xbow6 - (1d20+1)[14]
    Xbow7 - (1d20+1)[4]
    Xbow8 - (1d20+1)[3]
    Xbow9 - (1d20+1)[15]

Xbow1dmg - (1d8)[5]
    Xbow2dmg - (1d8)[4]
    Xbow3dmg - (1d8)[5]
    Xbow4dmg - (1d8)[2]
    Xbow5dmg - (1d8)[6]
    Xbow6dmg - (1d8)[3]
    Xbow7dmg - (1d8)[8]
    Xbow8dmg - (1d8)[8]
    Xbow9dmg - (1d8)[6]

XbowW - (1d20+6)[25]
    XbowWdmg - (1d8)[3]

Initiative stands at
    Weyarnikhato 16
    Sailors 16
    Creatures 5
    Octavian 5

It is Octavian's turn. He is flying 10' over the creatures.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

Octavian continued again:
    Spoiler
    Show

The crossbow bolts bounced off of the creatures without doing any damage, although Octavian observed them striking sparks off of the creatures' skins. Even Weyarnikhato's shot, a perfect hit to the eye, didn't phase the creature. Between observing the shots and the sudden flash of bright light from his spear, Octavian realized that the creatures had skin made from rock.

The monster with the longspear stabbed at Octavian as a fourth one crawled on board the ship. The last two, unable to reach Octavian, charged at the sailors, badly mauling two of them.

Longspear - (1d20+7)[20]
    [roll=Longspear damage]1d8+1d6+3[/roll]

Charge1claw - (1d20+8)[17]
    dmg - (1d4+2)[3]
    Charge1horn - (1d20+6)[22]
    dmg - (1d6+1)[2]

Charge2claw - (1d20+8)[16]
    dmg - (1d4+2)[5]
    Charge2horn - (1d20+6)[23]
    dmg - (1d6+1)[5]

27. - Top - End - #117
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pyroconstruct View Post
    Octavian continued again:
    Spoiler
    Show

The crossbow bolts bounced off of the creatures without doing any damage, although Octavian observed them striking sparks off of the creatures' skins. Even Weyarnikhato's shot, a perfect hit to the eye, didn't phase the creature. Between observing the shots and the sudden flash of bright light from his spear, Octavian realized that the creatures had skin made from rock.

The monster with the longspear stabbed at Octavian as a fourth one crawled on board the ship. The last two, unable to reach Octavian, charged at the sailors, badly mauling two of them.

speardmg - (1d8+3)[7]
    [roll=Longspear damage]1d8+1d6+3[/roll]

shock - (1d6)[2]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]

[roll5]
    [roll6]
    [roll7]
    [roll8]
    Octavian, again
    Spoiler
    Show

It didn't like that roll for damage.

speardmg - (1d8+3)[7]
    shock - (1d6)[2]

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

Everyone hears Pauline. I'm going to assume times were concurrent when she sent the message.

Pauline gets the following response from NPCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

(Captain Nevelonne) "Investigate it quietly. Report back to me as soon as you know what's going on, or if you can't find anything."

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground

Khronik and Pauline:
    Spoiler
    Show

As soon as Khronik and Pauline got aboveboard, they heard a strange, loud screeching noise. Several strange creatures were onboard the ship, apparently sneaking around. They appear to have noticed Pauline's light, and look very hostile. They don't seem to have spotted Khronik.

Initiative rolls:

Creatures - (1d20+2)[22]
    Pauline - (1d20+2)[8]
    Khronik - (1d20+4)[6]

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

Pauline and Khroniz, ct'd.
    Spoiler
    Show

OOC: This is the surprise round.

The creatures moved up to surround Pauline, but apparently didn't realize Khroniz was there, as one of them nearly stepped right over him.

Tech: It is Pauline's action, but first Khronik needs to decide if he wants to take the AoO or not. Regardless (unless Khronik somehow manages to one-shot one), Pauline is surrounded by the four creatures. They would provoke AoO from her too, but she is unarmed.

Remember that you can only take partial actions on the surprise round.

Ambrosius ONLY (read this before you reply to the Message!)
    Spoiler
    Show

Ambrosius, after getting a better look at the creatures, realizes that they are Kapaocinths, the marine relatives of gargoyles. They can swim fast but can't fly, they are tough and relatively strong, and most importantly they are only vulnerable to magical weapons.
    Last edited by Pyroconstruct; 2008-01-05 at 04:49 PM.