New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Isoria's Legacy

1. - Top - End - #121
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Default Re: Isoria's Legacy

OOC: What do they look like? How big are they? are they big and scary? Please describe them more

2. - Top - End - #122
    Halfling in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Khronik doesn't hesitate for even a moment when a a dame is in distress, he moves to flank a creature and stabs it with his rapier.

Tech:
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+10)[20] (with a +2 vs. goblinoids and kobolds), vs a flat-footed one.
    (1d4-1)[3] regular damage
    (4d6)[19] Sneak attack damage.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show

Pauline (on her action) takes a short step out of being surrounded, and casts Web on the defensive. She also wracks her mind for knowledge of what these creatures are, and how they got here, as well as any specific weaknesses.

Tech:
    Spoiler
    Show

5 foot step and cast on the defensive. If possible she does not hit herself or Khronik but will hit Khronik if it is not possible to miss him.
    (1d20+16)[29] vs. DC 17 (casting on the defensive)

Knowledge Arcana check (1d20+11)[22]

Everyone makes a reflex save of DC 17
    Khronik’s reflex save (1d20+13)[28]

4. - Top - End - #124

Spoiler
    Show

Khronik also lashed out at the creature with his short sword.

Tech:
    Spoiler
    Show

I forgot that I can TWF with a partial action now, so subtract 2 from my previous attack roll (making it 18 vs a flatfooted, flanked creature) and I'm going to roll my short sword.

Attack roll: (1d20+8)[11]
    Damage: (1d4-1)[2]
    Sneak Attack: (4d6)[11]

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

Pauline and Khronik, oopsie
    Spoiler
    Show

OOC: Forgot to include description.

As the creatures came into the light given off by Pauline's enchanted copper piece, she and Khronik got a better look at the four monsters. They had dark, stonelike skin and were covered in barnacles, kelp, and seaweed. The creatures had clawed hands and feet, devilish-looking horns, and strange fan-like fins stretching between their arms.

Also, is Khronik taking an AoO or not (you just listed normal attacks). If he wants to AoO, he'll get the extra shot but the creatures won't be flatfooted for his first round of attacks.

Avatar: Baron Blood by Uncle Festy.

6. - Top - End - #126

Spoiler
    Show

OOC: Yes Khronik was taking the AoO, i thought i made that clear with the line about him not hesitating, he is in fact attacking.

And if my initative is higher than theirs, they will still be flat footed, since they didn't get a turn yet.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

For GM:
    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I hate to do this, but you forgot to give me my +4 bonus to resist disarms for having a two-handed weapon. With those rolls, that means the resist that failed would have been a 15, exactly tied with the monster. Since the wording in the SRD says, "if you beat the defender," I think that means defenders win ties. Also, the creatures get a -4 penalty for having light weapons or unarmed attacks, but I think you took that into acount already.

For Pauline:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Octavian answered, "I'm being attacked by four humanoids. I have Weyarnikhato, the lizardman officer, and some crewmen with me, but their crossbow bolts seem to be bouncing of the monster's skin."

8. - Top - End - #128
    Dwarf in the Playground

For Octavian:

Spoiler
    Show

OOC: You're right about the +4, but the reason I forgot is that Octavian still has a shield out. You can't use a 2h and a shield, and it's a move action to ditch a shield, and while you can combine it with moving, you can either combo a draw with a move or a shield with a move, but not both (I did check that one).

Since using a weapon and a buckler is a -1 penalty, I'm going to go with -3 for a large shield while trying to fight with a 2hander, AKA, you still lost (even if I just went with the -1 as if it was a buckler). This would also have penalized Octavian's attack, but he still would have hit anyways.

EDIT:
    Spoiler
    Show

OOC: If you're wondering how to get around this, TWF or Gloves of Storing are the only ways I know.
    Last edited by Pyroconstruct; 2008-01-06 at 12:07 AM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squee_nabob View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

OOC: Yes Khronik was taking the AoO, i thought i made that clear with the line about him not hesitating, he is in fact attacking.

And if my initative is higher than theirs, they will still be flat footed, since they didn't get a turn yet.
    Spoiler
    Show

OOC: AoO is a single attack, not an attack action, ie, rapier only. In this case it doesn't really matter since the shortsword missed.

(If you're curious, this is partly because of wording and partly because of how retarded high-level monks with reach would be if AoO's followed this rule as though they were attack actions).

OOC: I'll get back on the replies tomorrow.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Octavian rose in the air and called on his goddess for strength, silently resolving to throw his shield in the ocean at some later date.

Tech:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Round 3:
    Octavian takes a 5 ft step straight up, out of the monster's threatened area, and casts Bull's Strength on himself.

Also, since the shield is still strapped to his arm anyway, and he's empty handed, he readies it, so the bonus to AC applies again.
    Last edited by Lord Zod; 2008-01-06 at 01:05 AM.

11. - Top - End - #131

Quote Originally Posted by Pyroconstruct View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

OOC: AoO is a single attack, not an attack action, ie, rapier only. In this case it doesn't really matter since the shortsword missed.

(If you're curious, this is partly because of wording and partly because of how retarded high-level monks with reach would be if AoO's followed this rule as though they were attack actions).

OOC: I'll get back on the replies tomorrow.
    Spoiler
    Show

(OOC: Oh, sorry I got confused. I am taking the attack of opportunity).

Case 1: Khronik's attack hit, and did damage, he is not in cased in webs, and he is flanking (or can gain flanking through a 5 foot step)

Khronik nimbly rolled to the side, and took out his fury on the creature. Ripping into it with both blades, he let out a well metered curse in gnomish. <rofl-paper-scissors> (gnomish)
    Spoiler
    Show

This literally translates to "Your mother/and or parenting asexual organism is wearing a funny article of clothing on one or more of its appendages"

Case 2: Khronik's attack missed or seemed to be ineffective somehow, and he is not encased in webs.

Khronik rolled to the side, takes out an eyelash encased in some gum Arabic and pretends to cast invisibility, then he fades from sight.

Case 3: Khronik is encased in webs, but his attack worked (ie Pauline could not miss him with the web spell), but his attack was effective, and he can still flank,

See Case 1, without the movement

Case 4: Khronik is encased in webs, and his attack worked, but he is not flanking.

See Case 2, without the movement

Case 5: Khronik is encased in webs, and his attack failed, and he is not flanking

See Case 4

Case 6 Khronik is encased in webs, and his attacked failed, and he is flanking

See case 3

Tech:
    Spoiler
    Show

There are really only 2 outcomes, either I attack or I HIPS, I’ll use the short sword rolls from above, since I already rolled them thinking I was doing this attack, and here is the rapier rolls

Rapier Attack roll: (1d20+8)[28] This does not include flanking or any other bonus besides size, dex, and BAB
    Rapier Damage roll (1d4-1)[3]
    Sneak Attack (4d6)[15]

Or Khronik Hides

Hide Roll (1d20+16)[21] (not including any situational bonuses or penalties)

12. - Top - End - #132

OOC: I think group 2 is back around to the creatures actions.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Based on gm clarification, Octavian also would have added this to his message to Pauline:

Spoiler
    Show
    "I've been disarmed and wounded, things are going badly."

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ambrosius yells to all that can hear (and reply to Pauline's message if able):
    Spoiler
    Show
    "They're Kapoacinth! Mundane weapons will be of little use! Scare!"

Tech:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ambrosius is moving so that he can't be charged (either back or behind a table or something). He is casting Scare (DC:20 Will) on the two best targets i.e the two healthiest monsters who are a threat.

Aurelia on her action will start fighting the closest non-frightened gargoyle and start singing.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

Khronik and Pauline:
    Spoiler
    Show

OOC: Yes, Pauline can anchor Web so as not to hit Khronik or herself, although this means two of the gargoyles will be right on the edge (the two she stepped between with her 5-foot step.

Pauline cast a magical web over the gargoyles, and then Khronik's rapier strikes took down one.

TBC: Need to see if they saved. Not bothering with the one Khronik kills.

(1d20+6)[21]
    (1d20+6)[20]
    (1d20+6)[24]

16. - Top - End - #136
    Dwarf in the Playground

Pauline and Khronik, ctd:
    Spoiler
    Show

The creature next to Pauline attacked her with itsclaws, fangs, and horns, but the other two were still struggling through the web and couldn't make it far enough to attack, although they hissed threateningly.

Tech: The one next to Pauline is still in the web but not immobilized, and full attacked instead of move. The other two surviving ones can only take 5-foot steps, and can't attack. They are both on edges of the web, but not edges adjacent to Pauline.

claw - (1d20+6)[23]
    clawdmg - (1d4+2)[5]
    claw - (1d20+6)[12]
    clawdmg - (1d4+2)[3]
    bite - (1d20+4)[22]
    bitedmg - (1d6+1)[2]
    horn - (1d20+4)[20]
    horndmg - (1d6+1)[5]

17. - Top - End - #137
    Dwarf in the Playground

Pauline and Khronik:

Spoiler
    Show

OOC: Pauline doesn't have Shield up, so she's hit by three attacks for 10 damage. Pauline's action is up.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground

Octavian:
    Spoiler
    Show

Weyarnikhato shouted "Thessssse creaturessss, they are Kapoacinthssss, invulnerable to mundane weaponssss. Defend yourselvessss while I help Octavian retrieve his sssspear."

With that, Octavian rushed at the kapoacinth under Octavian, freeing the quarterstaff from his back to help him disarm the monster. He ducked it's spear strike and then used his staff to twist the monster's newfound weapon out of its hands, then tossed it in the air, back to Octavian. "Help my men, quickly. They have no defensesss againssst thessse monssstersss."

Meanwhile, the crewman dropped their bows and raised shields, preparing to defend themselves from the Kapoacinths. The other three seemed unconcerned with their friend's problem, and kept attacking crewmen. Although they were now more prepared, one of them managed to slam a sailor in the head with it's horns, downing him.

The gargoyle Weyarnikhato had disarmed hissed angrily and slashed at him with it's natural weapons, scoring a hit with its claw and bite, although Weyarnikhato was still standing.

(OOC: Since it's combat between NPCs, for time-saving I'm just going to roll all of it myself on DiceBag, so I don't have to keep posting to see results. )

Tech: Weyarnikhato takes a move action (combining with drop bow, draw quarterstaff), provokes AoO from the Kapoacinth with the spear, 7+7=14 miss. He attempts a disarm: 7+12 = 19 > 7+11 = 18, Weyarnikhato wins. He takes a free action to hand the spear off to Octavian [the rules are a bit unclear, but I'm assuming that he can hand a reach weapon off].

The crewmen Withdraw and drop their bows, readying shields (they presently have no melee weapon out) and Full Defend.

The 3 gargoyles near the crewmen charge again, 5 misses one crit. 7 crewmen are still standing. The gargoyle near Octavian and Weyarnikhato Full Attacks him, 4+6 = 10 miss, 18+6 = 24 hit, 7+4 = 11 miss, 16+4 = 20 hit. It is Octavian's turn.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ambrosius and Wolfram:
    Spoiler
    Show

Tech: saves vs. Scare on Gargoyle 2 and Gargoyle 3
    (1d20+4)[13]
    (1d20+4)[7]

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ambrosius and Wolfram
    Spoiler
    Show

Two of the creatures, terrified by the power of Ambrosius's spell, jumped off the edge of the boat, disappearing into the water. The last kapoacinth kept fighting, slashing at Wolfram, and then hissing nervously as it heard the splash of its two allies in the water.

Tech: 2 of them flee, the last one attacks Wolfram.
    Clawatk - (1d20+6)[17]
    Clawdmg - (1d4+2)[5]
    Clawatk - (1d20+6)[23]
    Clawdmg - (1d4+2)[4]
    BiteAtk - (1d20+4)[14]
    Bitedmg - (1d6+1)[3]
    HornAtk - (1d20+4)[10]
    Horndmg - (1d6+1)[5]

21. - Top - End - #141
    Dwarf in the Playground

A&W
    Spoiler
    Show

OOC: Wolfram can AoO one of the fleeing ones if he wants. He's hit for 4 damage, and it is his turn.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    "Thank you, friend, I was really worried there for a minute." Octavian readied his spear and prepared to deliver the divine wrath of his goddess to the heathen gargoyles. He rushed to save the helpless sailors, praying that Weyarnikhato would hold on, and that he would dispatch the monsters in time to save the dying man.

Tech:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As part of a move action, Octavian PUTS AWAY THE SHIELD, and then charges gargoyle 1 (the one he injured already, which should be one of the ones attacking the helpless sailors, since it couldn't be the one that disarmed him.)

I'm not sure whether or not this counts as a charge attack because he had to put the shield away. If it doesn't, then just subtract 2 from the attack roll.

He also power attacks for -4 to hit and +6 damage

Attack: (1d20+8)[11]
    Damage: (1d8+13)[18]
    Shock Damage: (1d6)[5]

23. - Top - End - #143
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

In reply to Pauline:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Thank you for the warning. We are doing okay. Please make sure all Captains aware of situation."

This is addressed to Ambrosius:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Thank you for your timely spell, Ambrosius. This should not be difficult now," Wolfram said. "However, the ships without our protection may be in danger if mundane weapons are of little use. What magic have you prepared that might speed us to their aid once we have finished here. If necessary, you can go on ahead while I hold off these."

After saying that:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wolfram took advantage of the creatures' fear to make a blow on one of the creatures, hoping to discourage its return. Still unconcerned by his injuries, Wolfram decided to continue going toe-to-toe with the kapoacinth that he had been battling.

Tech:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Taking the AOO, on either of the creatures, as I think they are more or less the same at this point.
    AOO - (1d20+11)[14]
    damage - (1d8+4)[7]

Full attack on creature 2:
    Now, I am pretty sure creature 2 is not one of the ones that fled, so I presumed that I am attacking that one. If I am wrong, then alter the attack to whichever of the creatures caused that damage.
    Attack1 - (1d20+11)[23]
    Damage1 - (1d8+4)[12]
    Attack2 - (1d20+6)[17]
    Damage2 - (1d8+4)[5]

24. - Top - End - #144
    Dwarf in the Playground

Octavian:
    Spoiler
    Show

OOC: I'm assuming Octavian is smart enough to stay in the air for the +1 to hit. Also, he will have flanking, since the gargoyle would be attacking a sailor on the opposite side of Octavian.

Octavian hits the gargoyle while it's busy trying to get around a sailor's shield, impaling it through the back with his spear. The electric shock blasts the creature apart, and it collapses into chunks of smoking stone.

Realizing that he couldn't hurt the kapoacinth, Weyarnikhato tried a different tactic - knocking it off the boat. He rushed at the gargoyle, taking a hit from its claw. Although the kapoacinth was heavier than him, Weyarnikhato had momentum on his side, and the creature stumbled backwards on the deck just as it tilted, flying over the side with a splash.

The surviving sailors withdrew away from the gargoyles, moving behind Octavian so he could cover them with his longspear.

The gargoyle Weyarnikhato had sent for a swim started climbing back up, but it would be out of the action for a little while, at least.

The two surviving gargoyles returned their attention to Octavian. Still unable to reach him, they proved more cunning than they looked as they picked up discarded crossbows from the sailors and fired at Octavian.

Tech: Weyarnikhato uses Bull Rush on the kapoacinth. He's hit for 6 damage, and then wins a bull rush (15+3 = 18 > 1+2 = 3, 15 feet of movement), knocking it off the edge.

The sailors withdraw behind Octavian's shadow so that the gargoyles would have to provoke AoOs from Octavian to charge them.

One gargoyle moves up the side of the boat, the other two move, ready dropped bows and fire at Octavian.

xbow1 - (1d20+6)[26]
    xbow1dmg - (1d8)[5]
    xbow2 - (1d20+6)[20]
    xbow2dmg - (1d8)[7]

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

Octavian, ctd
    Spoiler
    Show

To confirm crit:
    (1d20+6)[26]

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

Octavian, ctd.
    Spoiler
    Show

Octavian was hit hard by two crossbows. The kapoacinths were either lucky, or remarkably skilled with crossbows for sea-dwellers.

Tech: Octavian got nailed for 17 (and you're lucky we don't use rolling crits . He's taken 40/56 damage.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show

Pauline stepped back, took a deep breath, and recast Web

Tech:
    Spoiler
    Show

Pauline is recasting web, again to not hit herself or Khronik

28. - Top - End - #148

[spoiler]
    Rushing aside a monster, Khronik shimmers and disappears
    [/spoiler

Tech:
    Spoiler
    Show

Khronik half moves near another creature while HIPSing, Khronik tries to stay out of the web

Hide: (1d20+16)[29]
    Move silently: (1d20+14)[34]

29. - Top - End - #149

OOC: oops, messed up the spoiler cut, n00b

30. - Top - End - #150
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Octavian rose in the air, preparing himself for another charge, and channelling positive energy into his body.

Tech:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Octavian moves 30ft straight up, then uses his Control Water spell to spontaneously cast Cure Critical Wounds on himself.

Cure: (4d8+7)[21]