(1d20+6)[25]
    Avatar: Baron Blood by Uncle Festy.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Isoria's Legacy

P&K ctd.
    Spoiler
    Show

The gargoyle closest to Pauline had its outstretched hands caught by a large, sticky section of the web, leaving it severely tangled up as it tripped and wrapped itself further. The others were less badly stuck and began clawing through the web towards Pauline.

They barely seemed to notice Khronik disappear - they were more focused on Pauline, apparently smart enough to realize what would happen if they let her get far enough away from them.

With an impressive effort, one of the gargoyles manages to tear himself out of the web and make it to Pauline, and attempted to grab her hands in order to prevent her from casting any more webs while his allies freed themselves.

touch attack to initiate grapple, no AoO since Pauline doesn't have a melee weapon - (1d20+6)[25]

grapple check - (1d20+6)[20]
    Pauline's grapple defense - (1d20-3)[16]

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

P&K
    Spoiler
    Show

The creature got a solid hold on Pauline's arm and squeezed, although it couldn't manage to use its claws at the same time.

Tech: Pauline takes (1d3+2)[4] subdual damage from the grapple, and is grappled by Gargoyle 1. Gargoyle 2 is trapped by the Web, Gargoyle 3 is entangled by the web and 10 feet deep in it. Khronik is free of the web and hiding.

It is Pauline's action, then Khronik's, then the gargoyles'.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Dwarf in the Playground

Octavian:
    Spoiler
    Show

The two Kapoacinth still left to fight Octavian hesitated and looked at each other. At the same time, they turned to the edge of the boat and dashed off, diving into the water. Seeing his comrades flee, the one climbing the boat dropped off and joined them in flight.

"I will watch to ssssseee they don't return," Weyarnikhato yelled at Octavian. "Help the injured, quickly. Vassssquez, tell Captain Sssssallusssss what's happened. The resssst of you, patrol for more gargoylesssss, and yell for Octavian if you ssssseee any."

The crewmen ran off to follow Weyarnikhato's orders, leaving Octavian to help their injured.

Tech: 3 crewmen are downed. It is Octavian's action.
    Last edited by Pyroconstruct; 2008-01-14 at 10:18 PM.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground

A&W:
    Spoiler
    Show

Wolfram's strikes land solidly on the creature, sending chips of stone flying as it howls in pain.

Tech: It's still standing, but nearly down. It is Aurelia's action, then Ambrosius's, then the gargoyle's.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show

“Khronik stab it!” Pauline yelled.

Tech:
    Spoiler
    Show

Pauline holds for Khronik

7. - Top - End - #157
    Halfling in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Kronik moves next to the grappling gargoyle and reveals himself. “The only one who distresses Pauline is me!” He squeaks in his fiercest war cry. He then proceeds to stab and slash at the gargoyle holding her.

Tech:
    Spoiler
    Show

Khronik moves next to the grappling gargoyle and attacks.
    Rapier attack: (1d20+8)[24]
    Rapier damage: (1d4-1)[0]
    Sneak attack: (4d6)[19]

Short Sword: (1d20+8)[22]
    Short Sword damage: (1d4-1)[2]
    Sneak attack: [roll4d6[/roll]

8. - Top - End - #158

Tech:
    Spoiler
    Show

Short Sword Sneak attack: (4d6)[16]

9. - Top - End - #159
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Making haste, Octavian swooped down on the three unconscious crewmen and began administering to their wounds.

Tech:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This will put me way out of synch with the others, but oh well. If uninterupted, Octavian will spend the next 3 rounds casting heal spells.

Round 1: Octavian moves next to the sailors as a move action. Not sure the distance, but he can fly 60 ft so that should cover it. He expends Sanctuary to spontaneously cast Cure Light Wounds on the MOST injured sailor, assuming he can tell who that is.
    Cure Light Wounds: (1d8+7)[13]

Round 2: Octavian expends Read Magic to spontaneously cast Cure Minor Wounds on the next most injured sailor. He heals 1 hp and stabilizes.

Round 3: Octavian expends one of his 3 Detect Magics to spontaneously cast Cure Minor Wounds on the last most injured sailor. He heals 1 hp and stabilizes.

Spoiler
    Show

Case 1: Octavian is uninterupted, and none of the soldier wake up.

Then: Octavian spends the next 3 rounds carrying soldiers below deck, then see case 2, unless he is interrupted while doing that, then see case 4.

Case 2: Octavian is uninterupted, and at least one of the soldiers wakes up.

Then: Octavain said "Sorry friend, I have to save my more powerful spells for now, in case there are more gargoyles. Carry the unconscious crewmen below deck and stay there. Come and see me after the battle is over and I'll provide you all with more healing if I can." Then Octavian promptly cast Magic Vestments on himself and flew away, scouring the ships for more of the foul beasts

Tech:
    Octavian casts Magic Vestments and flies 30 ft as a move action, staying 10 ft off the deck. Also he makes a spot check.
    Spot more gargoyles: (1d20+3)[9]

Case 3: Octavian is interupted by a gargoyle attack or someone screaming for help or something like that. One of the sailors is awake.

Then: Octavian "I'm sorry I couldn't do more friend, but the danger is too imediate, now quickly take the other crewmen below deck. Try to stop the bleeding and I'll be back as soon as I can."

Tech: He's telling him to make heal checks to stabilize the others.
    Then Octavian attacks gargoyles. I'll deal with the specifics later.

Case 4: Octavian is interupted by a gargoyle attack or someone screaming for help or something like that. None of the sailors are awake.

Then: Octavian abandons the sailors and attacks gargoyles. I'll deal with the specifics later.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Oh something I didn't think of, since obviously sailor #1 is awake now, Octavian would tell sailor #1 to make a heal check to stabilize sailor #3 in round 2 while Octain is helping sailor #2.

IC: "Quickly now, try to stop that man's bleeding, while I help this man here."

OOC: Also, Case 5: One of these sailors ends up bleeding to death.
    Then: IC: Octavian apologized profusely for failing to stop the gargoyles in time and shed a single manly tear.

11. - Top - End - #161

Spoiler
    Show

Case 1: Khronik fails to kill the gargoyle (just like jadorga):
    Khronik’s short sword failed to cut the rock-like hide of his Pauline’s assailant. “I’m sorry Pauline, I’ll have you free in a moment.” And he returns to hacking and stabbing it.

Case 2: Khronik kills it.
    Khronik posed what he considers a heroic fashion. “Don’t worry Pauline, I will protect you from these foul creatures.”

12. - Top - End - #162
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show

Case 1: Khronik fails to kill it:
    Pauline twists and tries to escape

Case 2: Khronik killed it
    I’ll think of something, but I doubt this is the case.

Tech:
    Spoiler
    Show

Pauline: (1d20-3)[15]
    Gargoyle: (1d20+6)[13]

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

Pauline & Khronik:
    Spoiler
    Show

OOC: This is a side note, but while trying to break free, unless you care about iterative attacks (which Pauline doesn't, being a sorcerer) you can use Escape Artist in place of Grapple, which would mean that Pauline could roll 1d20+2 instead of 1d20-3. Either way, she won.

Khronik stabbed the gargoyle through one leg with his rapier, but his carefully aimed blow at the crack with his shortsword barely scratched the monster. However, it was howling in pain, and Pauline managed to break free.

Enraged at the wound it had recieved, the gargoyle turned towards Khronik and tried to tear him apart while the others struggled in the webbing.

Tech:
    Claw - (1d20+6)[22]
    dmg - (1d4+2)[5]
    Claw - (1d20+6)[15]
    dmg - (1d4+2)[6]
    Bite - (1d20+4)[8]
    dmg - (1d6+1)[7]
    Horn - (1d20+4)[9]
    dmg - (1d6+1)[6]

STR check to break entangle - (1d20+2)[6]
    STR check to move - (1d20+2)[16]

14. - Top - End - #164
    Dwarf in the Playground

P&K
    Spoiler
    Show

Khronik is hit for 5. One gargoyle is still entangled, one is now on the edge of the web, but still stuck (also, not adjacent to Khronik or Pauline). It is Khronik's turn, then Pauline's. Note that Khronik does not have flanking, currently (Pauline has no melee weapon so does not threaten).

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

Octavian
    Spoiler
    Show

Octavian managed to save all three injured crewmen with his spells. While Captain Sallus and Weyarnikhato started sailing closer to the other ships to see if they needed help, Octavian patrolled, but couldn't see any more gargoyles.

OOC: I think all of the scenarios are reasonably near being wrapped up, FYI. To save some typing, I'm going to wait for the others to finish before writing up a conclusion.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I know this doesn't really matter, and I'm being really anal, but I am compelled to point out my mistake. That cure light wounds would have been 1d8+5 or 11 hp because of the cap.

IC: Once the danger had passed, Octavian requested that all of the injured be brought to the same ship that he was staying on, so that he could spread around his healing magic. He rested 8 hours and began healing again, repeating the process until all crewmen were fully recovered. He gave priority to the Sentinals, followed by the officers, then other crewmen, (in order based on level of injury, character level, and whether or not they have an npc class), so that the superior combatants could return to their stations as quickly as possible.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aurelia:

Spoiler
    Show
    The possessed gargoyle turned on its kin with heedless abandon.

Attack with Claws: (1d20+2)[15]
    (1d20+2)[12]
    Attack with Bite: (1d20)[12]
    Attack with Gore: (1d20)[3]

Damage:
    Claw Damage: (1d4+2)[6] (1d4+2)[6]
    Bite/Gore Damage: (1d6+1)[5] / (1d6+1)[7]

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming the gargoyle is still standing, Ambrosius will hit it (Touch Attack: (1d20+6)[10] with a Ray of Enfeeblement for (1d6+3)[7] Str Damage. Might be worth while to buy a wand of magic missile as a finisher.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Dwarf in the Playground

A&W:
    Spoiler
    Show

Although it wasn't quite down yet, the gargoyle was weakened to the point where it had no hope of winning the battle. It backed off the ledge and jumped into the water, hoping its possessed comrade wouldn't pursue.

Tech: The last gargoyle takes a Withdraw action and falls off the edge.

OOC: Pauline and Khronik are the only ones not done; I'm going to hold off on resolving the other scenarios until they are (shouldn't be much longer).

19. - Top - End - #169

Spoiler
    Show

Khronik stood right in front of the creature, and laughed in it's face. “Pauline! Stop trying to web them and kill them” he yelled. Then he pretended to cast Invisibility on the defensive.

Tech:
    Spoiler
    Show

Khronik HiPS and stands still.
    Hide: (1d20+16)[28]
    Move Silently: (1d20+14)[23]

20. - Top - End - #170
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show

Taking Khronik's advice, she backed away from the gargoyle and fired a stream of magic missiles at it.

Tech:
    Spoiler
    Show

5 foot step away, magic missiles on the wounded gargoyle
    Damage (4d4+4)[12]

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

Pauline & Khronik
    Spoiler
    Show

Pauline's magic missiles flattened the wounded gargoyle, and the other two were still stuck in the webbing, making them easy targets to kill.

OOC: Both of the gargoyles failed to break out, again. I'm going to just assume you two can kill 2 webbed gargoyles without any real danger, since Pauline could just back up, reapply web in a bigger radius, and magic missile them to death if needed.

OOC: All three scenarios are finished, and I'm going to stop using spoiler tags. You'll probably hear what happened to the other groups soon enough so you can look at other people's scenarios if you want.

After the kapoacinths on each ship were defeated, the ships checked in with each other to make sure none had been overrun. There had been one casualty on the Perseverance, an unfortunate lookout who had been mauled by several Kapaocinth, and several wounded on the Venture who had been saved by Octavian's healing. The Sentinels were congratulated on the quick work they made of the kapoacinths by Sallus.

The creatures did not appear to have any treasure, even after they were cut open, and as far as Ambrosius knew their bodies weren't useful for spell components.

Tech: Everyone gets 2800 XP.

OOC: Open-ended RP; whatever you want to do after the Kapoacinth attack is over, like talk about it with others PCs or NPCs, change routines, etc. I'm assuming Octavian is healing injured PCs up; I'll leave it up to you guys if you want to roleplay that out specifically.

22. - Top - End - #172

The first thing Khronik did after being healed, was to approach Pauline in an easygoing manner.

“I noticed during the fight with the Kapa-what-cha-ma-call-ems that you didn't have a weapon. I know that's not much of a big deal usually, but since we're working together, and separate from the others, we should probably discuss group tactics. One thing my mother told me was “It's always easy to look like what you are, but what you should do, is look like what you're not so that you can surprise them with a stab in the femoral artery.” I don't think we can do much to help you on the second point, but we need to do something about the first. Everything about you says “I'm a spell caster, attack me or I will end your world”. It's kinda obvious. I mean the gargoyles are barely intelligent and they could figure it out.”

“What we need to do is make you look like something you aren't. Me, I'm a dashing, handsome, unfairly attractive scoundrel, who just waits for an enemy to turn their back. I disguise myself as some sort of caster/swashbuckler, maybe even a sage. It makes people underestimate or overestimate me, depending on what they think. If they think I'm a sage, they might underestimate me, and deal with others, leaving me to attack when their back is turned. If they overestimate me, thinking I'm mostly a caster, then they will probably be more scared when I 'cast' Invisibility. An invisible rogue, is just a sneak attack waiting to happen, a caster might do something terribly nasty, no knowing, maybe they'll even just run away.”

“But back on the subject of you. We need to first get you a weapon, and second maybe get you someone else's bag of tricks. A weapon is important, not only will you look like a less easy fight for people unfamiliar with magic, but you'll be able to threaten those that come near you. What do you like? A quarterstaff? A mace or morning star? A sickle? We could probably scrounge up a dagger. Just figure out what you want, and I'll see about procuring it.

The second thing is a lot harder for you to do, I mean armor basically messes up the magic, so we have to figure something that doesn't normally wear armor. To me, that says duelist or nun. Think about it and we'll figure something out.”

23. - Top - End - #173
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Octavian made sure that he tended to everyone who may have been wounded in the monster attack.

Then he began a paranoid investigation into the attack, wondering what the monsters might be after, if they might be working for someone, if they might return, or if the attack were indeed just an isolated incident, a typical example of aquatic nonhuman raiders attacking a ship.

He questioned Ambrosious, Weyarnikhato, and Sallus to learn everything they know about Kapocinths or what might have motivated them.

After a few days with no follow up attacks, he eventually calmed down and returned to his clerical duties.

"How ironic," he thought, "that a cleric of a god of travel should get sea sick."

24. - Top - End - #174
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC: Sorry for the long delay; I wasn't sure if I should wait longer for more responses. If you want to do something prior to this post, you can still include it.

Almost a week passed without event after the gargoyle attack. The ships were sailing over open water far from land, with nothing to do except watch for more trouble, and nothing to see except for water stretching to the horizon in both directions.

In mid-afternoon one day, the Sentinels all received a summons, calling for their presence on the Perseverance. Their summoners were crewmen from the Perseverance, all of whom relayed the same message - the Perseverance had picked up a strange shipwrecked woman, and they wanted the Sentinels to have a look at her, possibly with magical means.

OOC: I am assuming you all do in fact go to the Perseverance.

As the Sentinels arrived on the Perseverance, having traveled across by longboat, the first thing they heard was the first mate, Lorenz de Guerneles, yelling at a woman who was, presumably, the shipwreck.

The shipwrecked woman was dressed in clothing that was ragged, wet, and bloodstained. She had dark, ragged hair that appeared to have originally been braided, perhaps into dreadlocks, but was by now heavily matted. The blood appeared to have soaked deeply into her hair and clothing, as red and pink stains appeared everywhere, yet she had clearly spent quite a while in the water, judging by the puddle forming on the deck around her. She also had a fresh lump on her head that was already swelling, as well as trickling fresher blood.

Two large, burly crewman were holding her up by her arms, as if they expected her to try to fight back, although she was just hanging limply. Captain Tybaut was standing behind her, holding a sap one hand and looking irritated. Off to the side was a pile of items, including a dagger stained with fresh-looking blood, two rustier and less bloodly looking daggers, and what appeared to be some jewelry at first glance.

"'Ere now, I've just about 'ad it with yer ramblin's. The next thing out'a yer mouth 'ad best be some sense, 'enless ya wants me to do unto ya as ya did unto Chuckie. D'yer get me, scum-fer-brains?"

Lorenz was clearly beginning to lose his temper. However, the woman seemed not to notice, and was instead talking, although she didn't seem to be looking at anyone in particular. Once Lorenz's tirade stopped, her voice was audible again.

"Osprey. The black goat lurches ever onward, ever forward, ever into never. You don't remember where you saw me before, but I live on in your memories. The seawater, you see, it's never been seen before. I can't recall if I know, but there's nothing new under the sun. The answer is..."

"Aw, shut yer trap if ya've nothing but ramblin's, and we'll just toss ya back in the water. Ya 'ear me, lady?"

She appeared not to have heard him.

OOC: Post what you're doing, obviously. I'm going to respond to posts as I get the chance, but unless it makes no sense I'll more or less assume that you're talking in the order you post, so try to look at what people before you are saying / who they're talking to / etc.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC: I forgot to mention two pieces of information. The shipwrecked woman is a humankin, and both she and Lorenz are speaking in Lormish.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Wolfram said in a loud, clear voice, "Please do not be so hasty, Mr. de Guerneles. What exactly has happened? Has she been rambling since she was picked up? Has what she said varied at all?" Wolfram paused a moment, then he spoke a prayer to St. Menaz, asking for the clarity necessary to ferret out evil. He waited for the results of his prayer to manifest to help guide his actions.

Tech:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wolfram uses Detect Evil

27. - Top - End - #177
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lorenz turned to Wolfram, looking even more annoyed. As he was about to say something, Captain Tybaut spoke up instead. "We haven't heard anything sensible from her since we found her. Just nonsense. We brought her onboard, and then she suddenly stabbed one of my men, after which I knocked her out and then we disarmed her."

Result of Wolfram's Detect Evil:
    Spoiler
    Show

Captain Tybaut, the shipwrecked woman, and one of the men holding her are evil. Lorenz and the other crewman holding her are not. All of the evil auras are "faint" (what you'd expect for evil people).

28. - Top - End - #178
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Let me get a look at her and don't beat her, I'm sure she's had a bad enough time already." Ambrosius said as he examined her. "Just as I thought, a magical effect. Considering her state, I doubt that it's a helpful one."

After several seconds, Ambrosius said half to himself, "Enchantment School, Lingering. Now what spell...."

Assuming that anyone doesn't do anything unusual in the first three rounds:

Spoiler
    Show

Suddenly, Ambrosius spoke up. "Insanity! That'll be hard to remove with our resources. Wait, this means that it was cast within the last hour." Ambrosius then turned to Captain Tybaut, "Captain Tybaut there is a spellcaster able to cast 7th level spells that was around here in the last hour. He could be anywhere at this point, but I advise caution."

Rules Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show

I talked to Pyro on IM so I forgot to add Rules stuff.

Ambrosius uses his Eyeglasses of Detect Magic to take a look for three rounds. He then IDed the spell as insanity with Spellcraft (taking 10).
    Last edited by HidaTsuzua; 2008-02-18 at 06:03 PM. Reason: More information

29. - Top - End - #179
    Dwarf in the Playground

Captain Tybaut looked concerned at the mention of powerful spellcasters. "Do you think that's what made her attack my sailor? I couldn't figure out why she attacked someone who had just rescued her. In any case, we picked her up out of the water - perhaps the powerful magician and whatever caused her to be shipless out in this area are connected?"

30. - Top - End - #180
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Insanity makes the target act randomly, sometimes attacking anyone around them. The biggest problem is if you attack them they'll attack back. So I suggest the brig for our and her safety. This spell is especially troublesome since while the spell is over, its effects are continuous. This means that I can't dispel it and it won't go away on its own. There's only a limited list of spells that can remove it and we don't have access to them.

The wizard that casted this spell could certainly be the cause of the ship's destruction. What I want to know is why. One doesn't usually idly cast spells like this."