New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Lost in the Depths... [IC]

Fethen

Noble Dwarf, you need to stop this. At least for now. You are killing yourself. You need to rest. Fethen raises his hand to touch the dwarf on the shoulder but pulls it back, not knowing how the dwarf might react to being touched.
    Last edited by Greyen; 2007-11-07 at 02:24 PM.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Habadur

Looking around, Habadur is is visibly surprised, this is no forest he's ever seen. Rubbing his eyes to work out the grogginess, and to make sure he wasn't seeing things, he asks What's going on here? What's killing who now?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Mordun

Spoiler
    Show

Will Save: (1d20+3)[20]
    Fort Save: (1d20+7)[26]
    Wis Check: (1d20+0)[19]

Mordun sags to his knees as the once-gray figure before him begins to stir. He has experienced such soul-wracking pain only once before, and the scarred hands that cradle his aching skull are glaring reminders of that horrible time. Without moving, the dwarf begins speaking, though perhaps only to himself.

This collar gives me the power to give life in this cold place, yet in doing so I risk death myself. Is this some cruel unnatural's joke? A test of life's value? Am I a simple experiment yet again? Damn them...

Mordun lifts his head to stare up at the newly revived figure before him, then rises and turns towards Fethen.

Have I done right in rescuing this one? What about the others? Am I cursed to save them all, or do I play as one of the Gods, judging their worth compared to all the others trapped here?
    Who's that artsy anarchist?

4. - Top - End - #34

Fethen

Head snapping between the two men he says to Habadur First you, We Fethen waves his arm at the surrounding statues Have all been petrified and brought here or the other way around, either way same results. This dwarf here, what is you name anyway good sir? Fethen popints to the dwarf with the collar Seems to be able to revive Fethen points at the two of them by touching a person and channeling his life force through into it. I think that the collar on his neck allows him to do so. But I am not sure I will have to look into this further when we havea moment. I have tried touching the statues and they only cause me pain, pain like being touched by some life sucking undead. So I thought a priest might be good to awaken next, and here you are, trapped undergrond lost with us two and them. I'm Fethen by the way

Fethen then turns with out waiting for a response and pulls from his pack a waterskin and some rations and sits by the dwarf At least you should eat. I do not know the answers to your questions. That is why I tried to awaken a priest, those are questions for one such as that.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Habadur

Well, Fethen, I'm afraid this isn't quite my... specialty. You said it seemed like an undead, negative energy? Habadur looks around fully for the first time.

Spoiler
    Show

If you need it:
    Spot check: (1d20)[18]

6. - Top - End - #36

Fethen

When I touched that statue over there Fethen points to the statue of a man standing over a girl it felt like I had touched cold death, or something like being touched by a powerful undead. Well at least the text book description of what that is supposed to feel like. This dwarf Fethen points to Mordun clearly shows classic symptoms of negative energy poisoning. If he tries to revive any more of these statues with out natural rest it will probably kill him.
    Last edited by Greyen; 2007-11-08 at 08:11 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

(OOC) Habadur sees what has been described before.

As Fethen moves towards Mordun the collar around his neck pulses with light briefly and then subsides to its normal colour and sheen.

The cavernous room seems too quiet and too still. There are no natural noises except for the group now huddled within the feeble light of the torch trying to concieve a strategy to free the other souls trapped within statues. The light flickers and pulses throwing shadows on the statues at the edge of it's illumination causing darkness to play along the features of the many trapped souls.
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Toir - In Drawn into Ravenloft
    Mirahako - In Bertram's Shadow: Misfits

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Mordun

"This dwarf" speaks Mordun as the two men converse between him is named Mordun Frostbread.
    He looks at the priest gazing around the cavern.
    Well, holy man? Did you bring with you from death some answers?

9. - Top - End - #39

Fethen

Fethen says to Mordun, I am sorry good sir, I did not know what to call you, as you had not introduced yourself. Did you feel something from your collar a moment ago? It flashed when I moved toward you.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Habadur

No, no answers. Just more questions, unfortunately. Maybe some ideas. Habadur turns and starts walking toward some of the older, more damaged statues. I am Habadur, by the way, he calls over his shoulder. Drawing his blade, he begins experimentaly probing one of the statues with its tip.

11. - Top - End - #41

Fethen

Fethen looks around the arae and watches Habadur for a moment before asking him What kind of questions if I may ask? And what are you doing?

As Fethen is looking around he is thoughtful, you can alost see the wheels turning in his head. He Sits down a nd pulls out a sketch book from his pack and begins to quickly sketch the statues in the area.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Habadur

Approaching the elf statue, Habadur answers Fethen's question Why are we here? More importantly, why is anyone here? What brought us here? How can we get out? Habadur's questions come faster and faster Who is responsible for this? What possible connection could we all have to warrant us all being here? Stepping forward to face the elf, Habadur whispers, more asking the statue than anyone else And who are you?

Stepping back, Habadur looks at the statues again These people look like they were expecting someone. Weapons drawn and casting a spell? I was not aware of my coming here, I just woke up and was here. Perhaps they have some answers...

Spoiler
    Show

Spellcraft to tell what elf is casting: (1d20)[15]

13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Mordun

As Mordun heads over to where Habadur is studing the three statues, he runs his hand along the collar on his neck and calls out to Fethen.
    You better keep back boy. Nothing personal, but this collar doesn't seem to like you, and it's sure as Hell letting me know whenever you get near it.
    Now alongside Habadur, Mordun circles around the statues, gauging their worthiness.
    Bah, this one seems worthy. He jabs his thumb towards the man with the sword. Don't know why you're bothering with that elf though, what we need down here are some stone races!
    Realization floods Mordun's face as he spins towards Habadur.
    The last thing I remember before waking up here is sinking into some strange stonework. How did you arrive here? If this unnatural truly has powers as vast as this spread all over the world he must be stopped!

14. - Top - End - #44

Fethen

Fethen stands after sitting and sketching for a few minutes.

This has been occurring all over the world as far as my research can tell me. These two indicating the man hovering over the young woman and myself we covered by a 'grayness' a sleepy effect that when I awoke I was here. I have been trying to find the source of these dissappearances for some time now. I had predicted that there was going to be an anomaly on the day and location that we were taken. Perhaps it was foolish of me to think that I was not going to be caught up in it. He says thoughtfully.

I apologize if my closeness has caused you any discomfort Mordun. I will do my best to keep a safe distance.

He then turns around and begins to study some of the closer statues, as he does so he quietly rattles off something in a harsh tounge. His eyes glow for a moment and he seems intent on the statues of the man and girl.

Spoiler
    Show

Cast Detect Magic
    Spellcraft (1d20+11)[27]
    K:Arcana for effects (1d20+18)[36]
    Let me know if I need other or more knowledge checks to figure something out.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

As Habadur probes one of the statues with his weapon bits and pieces flake away like dry skin. (assuming it is not one of the party if he meant to poke a party member it will only make small scratches possibly damaging clothing.)

Spoiler
    Show

The magical auras eminating from the statues are complex to say the least they seem to snarl and catch on each other at various points. At others they seem to run in a paralell fashion accross the bodies of those affected merging and conecting at random junctures.

The auras while more powerful than most also seem to be shielded or dampened in some way as though you are viewing them through iced glass or an opaque window. You have the impression that the true strength of the magic surrounding and coursing through the statues is being limeted by the very spells that are giving off the auras you see. As though some sort of inversion affect is causing them to turn in on themselves and distort and weaken the magical auras they give off.

You sense all the schools of magic from within the statues and while they are not bright by contrast to some of the equipment your party members are carrying they are of mid-level quality and strength. The most alarming magical aura comes from nearby not in the direction you had intended your search but from the collar Mordun is wearing and the Sword strapped to his back. You can see a clear conection of energy passing from the sword to the collar and back again as though they are feeding eachother magical energies. If they were people and possible of comunication you might assume that they were talking to each other.

There seems to be several spells layered ontop and weaved into each other forming a cohesive covering over the petrified couple. The first layer seems similar to a flesh to stone spell, the second, some form of energy drain spell, which is feeding their own energy back into the spells, hold person, sleep, perminancy, and about 10-15 other spells that you can't quite seem to figure out the use for and obviousness of tying into the spell-array laid out before you.

The problem is that in order for someone to do something like this they would need all the spells to start and stop at the same time in order to cohesively weave them together. Not to mention that most spell casters can only cast one at most 2 spells simultaneously. Which means this is either a group of versy skilled and well practiced casters who can predict each others spell timing flawlessly. OR worse someone with the ability, intelligence, and timing to cast 20 spells congruously without missing a beat. The sheer magnitude of such ability is staggering to contemplate. If only you had been able to study victims before becoming one your self, instead of just the traces of this... anomaly or whatever it is.
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

16. - Top - End - #46

Fethen

Interesting, ever so interesting. Fethen quickly takes out his notebook again and begins making notes about the interplay of forces in the area, including a section on Mordun's collar.

Fethen notices himself staring at Mordun and shakes himself for a moment.Ser Mordun, how long have you had that collar? Did you know its magics were tied to those of your sword?

Spoiler
    Show

Maintain concentration on Detect Magic as I jot notes.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Mordun

Mordun's head snaps up and he wheels around to face Fethen.
    You mean to tell me this blasted thing has spread to my sword?! He immediately unsheathes the weapon and slices a few practice swings through the air. I've had this blade for years, though this collar is new to me since my awakening. How could they have formed a bond so quickly? The one who crafted this Mordun stares at the scars on his face reflected in the blade was slain long ago...

18. - Top - End - #48
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Habadur

Before I awoke here, I was running from... some people. When I thought I could go no farther, I collapsed in the forest, and here I am. Habadur looks around at the newer statues, near where he was revived, the statues he is standing next to, and those farther out, more destroyed. What did you do to revive to two of us? He asks the dwarf, and continues I have some ideas, but I'd rather not try them on people who might be harmed.

19. - Top - End - #49

Fethen

Well, I cannot say for what he did to recue myself butfor you he touched you. He seemed to be wracked by pain during the process. I assume the sme goes when he touched me when I was petrified. There seems to be a negative energy, life draining effect in place that keeps the myriad of magics tied up in these statues. I cannot fathom the expertise and power it would have taken to do this. Either a host of casters or a single exceptionally powerful and skilled individual did this to us.

When he touched you maybe it disrupted the life draining magics, draining him instead of you breaking the power of the web of spells. I am not sure. Your life returned slowly, draining Mordun as it did so. I have tried but I do not think I have the constitution to do this like alone.

20. - Top - End - #50

Fethen

Hopefully this does not kill me

Fethen walks to the statue of Bariaus and grabs the statues outstretched hand with both of his trying to awaken the statue as Mordun had done.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

As Fethen bravely marches forward and takes hold of Bariaus' lifeless hands of stone he is subjected once again to the feeling of negative energy coursing through his limbs.
    Negative Energy Damage - (6d8+6)[29] (Will save halves as usual)
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

22. - Top - End - #52

Fethen

As Fethen grasps the staues hand with determination, the pain is writen across his face. After a few moments he bursts out in a howl of pain that only lasts for a moment before he falls unconscious to the floor.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

As Fethen falls in a heap at Barilaus' feet the statuesque stiffness fades and colour returns to his form. He moves slowly at first and seems disoriented by the ordeal he has gone through. Still standing hunched over the statue of the girl craddling her in his arms his contact with her seems to have no ill-effect upon him. Her face is still twisted in a grimace of pain and she is still being half supported by him as he regains mobility.
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

24. - Top - End - #54
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Habadur

Seeing Fethen fall to the ground, Habadur rushes over to heal him.

Spoiler
    Show

Cure Moderate Wounds: (2d8+5)[2][1](8)

As he's healing Fethen, Habadur has a chance to look at the awakened man, and wonders Why is he not affected by touching the statue? Hey! Who are you? Fethen seemed awfully determined to... free you.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Mordun

Seeing Fethen fall, Mordun quickly sheathes his sword and reaches into his pack, grabbing a vial.
    Quick! Give this to him! he shouts as he rolls the container down the stone floor to Habadur.

26. - Top - End - #56

...ope she'll be okay. As Bariaus' life slowly returned to him, his mind finished his last thought, as sensations returned to him. Opening his eyes, he saw Marietta still held by him, still unconscious. Seeing her like that woke him up fully. 'Etta? 'Etta? Wake up, 'Etta! He said, as he shook her, trying to wake her up. He would have continued with it until she had woken up, but his eye caught a glimpse, a body lying on the floor, the body of someone he had met not two days ago, as far as he could tell. It was the wizard who had spoken of some kind of anomaly. He seemed very weak, his withered body lying limp on the floor, and in need of assistance. Carrying 'Etta on his back, drawing his sword in case any foe could be near, he rushed to him, previously lowering 'Etta to the floor right next to the wizard. He then motioned for his sack to get a potion to try to heal him. Just after he managed to make the wizard gulp the potion, he looked up, trying to assess the situation, and any possible threats, and noticed a pair of men, a human, and a dwarf, who had a greatsword in his hand...and the statues that surrounded all of them, reaching far, far away, as far as he could see. Cautiosly standing up, Bariaus assumed a combat stance. Who are you two? Friend or foe? And what has happened to this wizard?, he asked, as he stepped in front of the wizard and 'Etta, to protect them from possible attack.

Spoiler
    Show
    Actions taken:

Made Fethen gulp a potion of Cure Moderate Wounds.

Preparing an action for fighting defensively, in case combat breaks out.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Habadur

I guess you could call me a friend of Fethen's. I woke up down here, with him and the dwarf, Mordun, already awake. Habadur frowns. I'm not sure what happened to him. He touched you, seemed wracked with pain, and you woke up.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Mordun

The dwarf saunters over to his healing potion lying on the floor and places it back in his pack. Turning towards the edgy newcomer, Mordun scoffs.
    Bah, no one here is in any condition to fight, so I suggest you focus your intentions on that pretty statue you have with you, rather than pick a fight with your fellow prisoners.

29. - Top - End - #59

Is that so? I owe him two lives then, and one is not mine. I'll have to thank him later. But for now, if you have friendly intentions, please back off, and allow me to watch over him. Hmm, so his name is Fethen... Bariaus said, murmuring the last part for himself. What's YOUR name, by the way? I am Bariaus Kazaphran. I would say I'm pleased to meet you, if it weren't for this circumstances, he said, as he sheathed his weapon and resumed watching over Fethen and 'Etta.

Spoiler
    Show
    Actions taken:

Attempt a Sense Motive check on Habadur, to see if he tells the truth.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Habadur

I am Habadur, Bariaus, Habadur Turnous. I agree with you on the situation here. We are certainly not the only ones in this predicament either, there are untold number of other statues, but we, as the most recent, seem to be the best... preserved, for lack of a better way to say it. All the others seem to be in worse and worse disrepair.