New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Lost in the Depths... [IC]

Fethen

Well, at least there are walls. Left ot right?
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

2. - Top - End - #122
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    RIGHT, go riiiiiiiiiiight! lol i don't really care either way. I think it would be best if half of you went left and the other half went right.
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Toir - In Drawn into Ravenloft
    Mirahako - In Bertram's Shadow: Misfits

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

3. - Top - End - #123
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Mordun

Hmm, we seem to be on a slight angle... The dwarf runs his hand along the stone floor. Left slopes up and likely leads to escape, while right slopes down... which likely means answers lie that way.
    I want to find the one who did this to us, so I say we head right. Though we could perhaps split up and scout in both directions. I can lead the party going downward.
    Who's that artsy anarchist?

4. - Top - End - #124
    Orc in the Playground

Entirinon

Right is as good a direction as any. Entirinon frowns. But our force is too small to split. No telling what we could face down here. Entirinon considers for a moment then nods. Lets head out.

5. - Top - End - #125

Fethen

Answer are more important to me than escape. I would like to travel down.

6. - Top - End - #126

What a dilemma. Down or out. I think I have the answer to it, gentlemen, and the answer is neither. We should go back to the camp, pick Habadur up, and THEN decide what to do. Splitting the party in 3 groups is an even worse idea than splitting into two, Bariaus says, as he turns towards the direction of the camp.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wasn't Lialei still in the camp? How did she come with us?

7. - Top - End - #127
    Orc in the Playground

When the statue shattered, Lialei quickly turned her back on it, closed her eyes, and clenched them tight for a long moment. Another life lost... and this one lost to the careless touch of a curious mage... one who wanted to help, yes, but who seemed to be going about it as an academic project, rather than gathering the help of those best able to use existing methods to help.

At the same time, she couldn't blame the mage for what happened... nor could she join in to the congratulations. What if it had been me, or any of the others here that he had bumped into. If I hadn't been on my hands and knees... I might not be here right now.

One of the reasons she had left the field of war to warden and explore the wilds was the fleeting and fickle nature of life, something that she saw far to often in her reveries. Over time, slowly, the magesty of life, and nature... huge mountains with their cascading falls, the open searing heat of the desert... the simple swaying of trees in the forest began to replace the horror of war she saw each night in her reverie... yet she knew she would never escape the endless cycle of experiencing the wars of yester-year... over... and over.

When Barius spoke directly to her it shook her half out of her reverie, and she rubbed her quivering arms, which ostensibly shook due to the dripping cold of her clothing, combined with the stone of the chamber, and her long rest on the stone floor. She nods he thanks, silently, and doesn't look at the others in the group, before ducking into the tent with the only other female of the group... one still frozen in stone.

Remembering the recent episode with the other statue, she is careful not to touch Barius's sister carelessly as she undresses, a sound of clanking comming from the tent as she does so. As she undresses, she takes the cloth and leather items, and squeezes the sooty water from them clothes into her mouth, before setting them quietly outside the tent, keeping her armor with her.

Lialei doesn't know how long it will take them to find a natural environment where she will be able to find food and water for the group, or how much of it she will be able to find. Shivering, the elven lass with raven hair and emerald eyes lets the water on her skin evaporate into the dry, almost musty air.

She sighs, then carefully dressing, once again a few small clanks sounding, before she looks over, and examines her companion. She debates for a while on whether to awake her or not... she deserves to at least have a fighting chance for her life... but not at the cost of the rest of the group having to protect her, feed her, give her their water... at least not until they've found a reasonable amount. Otherwise, she might be waking the girl just to doom her.

The only way that I can potentially save the girl's life is to make sure the rest of us will survive. Taking a few slow, deep breaths, she moves out of the tent, and gathers her semi-dried clothes into her pack including the armor-covering of use only in the forests She is just in time to hear the discussion of the augment crystal, and it's particular power... but she manages to refrain from requesting it for the moment. She loathes the un-dead with perhaps the same intensity that the Barbarian loathes the 'un-naturals'.

On the other hand I'm the newest member of the group, all I have done is consume the group's resources... where as from what the others have said, Modun's actions brought every person here back to life except, perhaps, me... even then, the light that called me back... it may have come from this group. I may owe him my life just as much as the others do.

He's also obviously a physical combatant. It's only natural the others want him to have it. Still... if I prove myself to the group, and there is some greater treasure he can use that I can't... maybe he'd let me have the crystal.

She thinks to herself, reticent about their situation, until Entriton mentions her scouting background, and asks her to take point. She nods, and begins preparing. She removes her everburning torch from her pack, and ties it to her pack before raising the hood of her cloak over her still sooted and bedraggled hair, and moves to the north, drawing her longsword.

Unfortunately for Lialei, her favored form of combat isn't the most viable when exploring the underground. The furthest away she can see clearly is 40 feet, and after 80 feet even the dimmest of the light from her torch fades away. She moves only 40 feet ahead of the group. She knows that dwarves in general are not the fastest in the world, and wants to make sure that if a cavern dweller ambushes her, the rest of the group, especially the one in the group most suited to melee, will manage to reach her... she also wants a solid area of light connecting herself to the group in the sight of the humans.

Her ears perk as she moves, quietly, not wanting to cause even the most minor sound that might spoil her chance for surprise, alert any potential adversaries, or foul her own hearing of the world around them. Her hands, fully healed after the combination of rest and healing clench more firmly on her sword, as she occasionally glances up above, for any enemies that might cling to the ceiling.

As she moves toward the rock wall at the end, she pauses, and lets the group catch up as she moves her torch slowly over the surface, examining the blck rock as she peers into it's surface.

Spoiler
    Show

My spot and listen are both +8, my search is +13. If anything seems the least bit suspicious about floor, wall, or statue (other than the obvious that they are -here-, I search for traps.

If I are ambushed, I will attack the enemy, and tumble towards the rest of the group. Next will be to sheath my sword and move into a better position. Then move while drawing bow, and fire, focusing on favored enemies... assuming I can get the room.

Lialei lowers her hood as the others discuss, and runs her fingers through it, using the last of the moisture there to wet her hand, before she moves slightly in either direction, feeling for a breeze. Assuming none is found (due to this being a chamber rather than a corridor), she finally speaks.

"Either way, we might wind up finding our way right back to where we stand if we circle the walls and do not take passages. Still, water runs down hill, and even if it is stagnant, the thing we most need to survive is water. This hall is ancient, and no matter where we were, if it was near the entrance and easy to find, we'd be more likely to know about it."

8. - Top - End - #128

Fethen

As strange as it is for me to say this in a possible hostile environment, would you lead the way? I think concensus says we head to the right and follow the wall. I really do not think we should split the group at all. Did anyone leave anything behind that we need bafore we move on?

9. - Top - End - #129

Water is no concern in any case. I can guarantee that we won't be lacking water, as long as we remain together. I'm more concerned what can happen to our minds from isolation, than what'll happen to our bodies, as we have a way to guarantee food and drink.

As the others debate, Bariaus turns around, and starts heading for camp. There, he proceeds to fold his tent, and with a stab of pain to the heart, he stuffs Etta into his pack. Then, with all his gear ready, he remembers something. But of course! How could I forget it? MORDUN! COME HERE AND GIVE ME A HAND! He shouts, as he proceeds to enter Habadur's tent. He then drags the cleric out of his tent, and stuffs it into his pack. As he waits for Mordun to approach, he proceeds to grab Habadur by his hands, and prepares to lift him once the dwarf comes.

10. - Top - End - #130

Fethen

Fethen waits for Bariaus to return to the group before pointing off to the right. Off we go then.

11. - Top - End - #131

Now we're all ready, let's get going, Bariaus says as he returns. I propose we go down, but watch out. A slippery floor could be awaiting us.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Orc in the Playground

Following the wall as it slightly slopes and then levels off and slopes gradually again a few feet further off it quickly becomes apparent that it would take quite some times traveling at this rate of decent to get deeper into the rocky ground.

As the group shines their light about the black minerals in the wall and the slight ground slope seem to account for a perfect habitat for many different types of fungi. The floor and the base of the walls are lined with all forms of lichen and mushrooms. At the sudden exposure of the torch-light many of the more rare and photo-sensative fungi seem to die quickly or fade into a dormant state closing themselves off as a flower might bloom in reverse. There seems to be a natural depression in the floor at this point where moisture must pool and allow forthe fungus to gain nutrients and the minerals provide an even darker than normal environment as well. This corner of the cave seems quite unnaturally perfectly suited to the growth of mushrooms...
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

13. - Top - End - #133
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Mordun

Mordun raises his hand, halting the party's progress. He then bends down and runs his hand along one of the depressions, studying the stonework and fungi.
    Hmm... this seems strange...

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge: Dungeoneering (1d20+4)[7]
    Knowledge: Geography (1d20+4)[7]
    Knowledge: Nature (1d20+4)[14]

14. - Top - End - #134

Fethen

Hmm, this is a striated red push top.

I think.

I haven't seen one of these except in drawings.
    Fethen says indicating a crumpled looking reddish fungi. He quickly whips out his sketchbook and sketches it when they stop for a moment. When the group begins moving again he quickly puts it away and picks up his crossbow which you notice is tied to his vest with a string, probably so he remembers it bring it.

Spoiler
    Show

Know:Nature to identify species of fungi (1d20+4)[7]
    Sketch (1d20+5)[10]

15. - Top - End - #135
    Orc in the Playground

Lialei mmms, kneeling down, but does not pick the mushrooms as she studies them. She draws her dagger, and uses it to examine some of them, while covering her mouth with a scarf.

"Hopefully some of these are edible... especially if this is a cultivation location. Unfortunately, with as deep as we are, that might indicate Drow, Sverfneiblin, or other deep dwellers that are not on the best of terms with we surface dwellers. That could also... potentially... provide an explanation for a large number of powerful casters... but would enough of them work together? Still, we shouldn't jump to conclusions."

Spoiler
    Show

"Knowledge: Dungeoneering" - (1d20+7)[8]
    "Knowledge: Nature" - (1d20+9)[12]
    "Knowledge: Geography" - (1d20+10)[19]
    Trying to tell if the mushrooms are edible, if any of them require rotting matter to grow as many do (thus meaning there is more 'feeding' going on here than just by the water), if the stone formation is natural, and if there are any races left off the list above that this location might indicate the presence of.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

Although you all clearly recognise some of the fungi as edible and some as useful for alchemical purposes, and still yet others for various potions, salves, and poisons none of you are able to clearly remember which is which. However given that you know that 97% of all mushrooms are poisonous it would be better not to test fate and your lack of certainty.

Mordun
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...does know that none of these particular mushrooms would be fatal if ingested but many would make you very sick. However the stonework as some of the others may have already guessed is not natural. It would have taken much time and even more patience to cause water to flow into this unnatural depression, even more time still to tend to these fungi and produce such a crop.

Fethen
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...is able to identify the fungi he is sketching but is unable to remember much detail about it... perhaps if he consulted his books or had time to study it in earnest he would remember... it's unfortunate that there are more pressing concerns. He quickly makes a rough sketch of the notable characteristics of the mushroom even adding in some of the rock formation that seems to exude darkness for dramatic effect. Not some of his best work, but serviceable to say the least.

Lialei
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...thinks for a moment about what races might dwell in such conditions and have the presence of mind to cultivate such a patch of mushrooms. She quickly takes mental not of all the subteranean races she can think of discarding those that lack the patience and intelligence to perform horticultural acts such as this. Mentally ticking off goblins, skulks, troglodytes, kobolds, and deep gnomes from her mental tally. Leaving the drow, duergar, and a select few other races who might undertake such an operation. Also the fungi do require more 'feeding' than just water.

The fungi patch seems to extend for at least 30 feet possibly farther clinging to the walls as much as to the floor.

As you all stand studying the mushrooms, sketching, and pondering what might be, something occurs to you.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

17. - Top - End - #137

Fethen

Initiative (1d20+2)[17](19)

18. - Top - End - #138
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Mordun

Initiative: (1d20+6)[18]

19. - Top - End - #139
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I think im going to attack Lialei first...
    Attack - (1d20+8)[28] Lialei flat footed target AC = 15 i believe.
    Damage - (2d6+8)[15]

Lialei feels something bite her on the shoulder, hard. The teeth tear into her flesh rending her wet clothing and snaping shut on the armor beneath tearing through it as though it were parchment.

Spoiler
    Show
    As long as noone gets a nat 20 i get my suprise round. I will edit in that eventuality. My initiative is and will always be 10+modifier. For this combat it is 10.

Listen checks all around.
    Last edited by Timaoh; 2007-12-07 at 10:19 AM.
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

20. - Top - End - #140
    Orc in the Playground

Entirinon

Init(1d20+3)[23]
    Listen(1d20+3)[7]

21. - Top - End - #141
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Mordun

Listen: (1d20+8)[17]

22. - Top - End - #142

Bariaus:

Initiative: (Question: My Brains Over BRawn allows to add my INT modifier to all STR or DEX based checks. Does Init count as a DEX based only check? I'm assuming yes. Else, substract 5 from the check.) (1d20+7)[24]
    Listen: (1d20+1)[10]

23. - Top - End - #143
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative
    (1d20+5)[18]

24. - Top - End - #144
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I missed the call for the listen checks.
    (1d20+8)[21]

25. - Top - End - #145
    Orc in the Playground

[Entirinon]

Raising his arms, Entirinon holds a piece of parchment covered in runes. In a deep powerful voice, he chants. Light forms between his hands, and shoots to each member of the party.
    Spoiler
    Show
    shield of faith, +2 deflection bonus for everyone.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Orc in the Playground

ugh doublepost. ninja'd.
    Last edited by Jael_Darkwood; 2007-12-08 at 06:52 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147

YOU THREE! GET BEHIND ME! Bariaus shouts, as he opens his bag of components. Taking out some mica, he rapidly chants a spell, as a cloud of sparkling dust appears above Lialei. Then, he proceeds to unsheathe his sword.

Spoiler
    Show
    Swift action: Speak a phrase.
    Standard action: Cast a Glitterdust 10' above Lialei. Since it has a spread range of 10', it should hit the creature, but not her.
    Move action: Draw his sword.
    OOC comment: Either we're facing an invisible critter, an ethereal, or someone with a dang good Hide check. This should clear it up anyway.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

As Bariaus tosses the dust into the air and speaks the arcane phrases bringing the spell to life. The air charges with power above Lailei's head the dust glitters brightly and falls to the floor without effect.
    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

The city of Otiorin
    Lost in the Depths...

29. - Top - End - #149
    Orc in the Playground

Entirinon

Moving his arms, he chants. Suddenly, your vision blurs, then sharpens to a ridiculous degree. "Everyone, look for a distortion... anything."
    Spoiler
    Show
    eyes of the avoral (BoED) on everyone in the party. +8 to spot checks. also, spot (1d20+14)[26]

30. - Top - End - #150

Fethen

Fethen moves south a bit and chants some harsh sounding words and points to Lailei. A nearly invisible bead of power shoots from his finger tip before bursting in a wave of intangible power at the elven hunter's feet.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot (1d20+9)[12](21)

Move 4 squares South and 1 square West,

Area Dispel Magic. 20ft burst centered on Lailei, or if I spot anything, on it
    All Spells in that are subject to a dispel check.
    Roll 1d20+6 vs 11+Casterlevel of spell (I'm not doing it for you)
    Dispel check vs the monster (1d20+6)[19](25)

If anything even tries to chomp me us Abupt Jaunt to move 2 squares South
    Last edited by Greyen; 2007-12-09 at 02:41 AM. Reason: adjusting target