New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 82324252627282930313233343536373839404142 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: MTG - You Make The Card VIII: Escape - Exile 7 MTG topics to create this thread

Woooo, infinite brothers!

Make a card that can put something on the stack before it has fully resolved(activated ability, triggered ability, or another card).

2. - Top - End - #962
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: MTG - You Make The Card VIII: Escape - Exile 7 MTG topics to create this thread

Definitely Appropriate Action - 2B
    Instant - R
    Until end of turn, whenever an opponent draws a card, create a 2/2 pink Ogre Mercenary creature token with menace.
    Target player draws a card. You lose 2 life.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2023-05-06 at 01:17 AM.

3. - Top - End - #963
    Barbarian in the Playground

Storm of Thought 3UU
    Instant U
    Draw a card.
    Storm
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

4. - Top - End - #964
    Troll in the Playground

Osteosink 1B
    Instant (U)
    Target player loses X life and you gain X life, where X is 3 plus the number of skull counters on ~.
    Discard a Creature card: Put two skull counters on Osteosink. You may choose a new target for it. Any player may activate this ability but only if Osteosink is on the stack.

5. - Top - End - #965
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Assume Identity 3WU
    Sorcery R
    Exile target creature or planeswalker at the beginning of the next end step or if they would leave the battlefield. When you do, its controller investigates and you create a token that's a copy of it.
    Rumor has it that the real Ajani died during the invasion.
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2023-05-06 at 12:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

6. - Top - End - #966
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Chains of Rage R
    Sorcery
    Goad target creature an opponent controls. Then that creature's controller may copy this spell and may choose a new target for that copy.
    Being a mime means never having to say you're sorry.

7. - Top - End - #967
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: Dr guns
    Show

Definitely Appropriate Action - 2B
    Instant - R
    Until end of turn, whenever an opponent draws a card, create a 2/2 pink Ogre Mercenary creature token with menace.
    Target player draws a card. You lose 2 life.

This is neat! Either cantriping or giving you a 2/2. Best case is right before a wheel effect for sure. It feels a tad more blue or white to me than black but its neat!

Spoiler: Personification
    Show

Storm of Thought 3UU
    Instant U
    Draw a card.
    Storm

Simple but powerful. I'm not convinced that this should be an instant but the cost seems appropriate ish. Storm draw should pretty much always end in winning the game so this feels hard to evaluate.

Spoiler: mystic1110
    Show

Osteosink 1B
    Instant (U)
    Target player loses X life and you gain X life, where X is 3 plus the number of skull counters on ~.
    Discard a Creature card: Put two skull counters on Osteosink. You may choose a new target for it. Any player may activate this ability but only if Osteosink is on the stack.

Hey, its lightning storm for creatures! I like that while its risky it can never kill you. A pretty cool build around card, not sure what would play well with this.

Spoiler: ben-zayb
    Show

Assume Identity 3WU
    Sorcery R
    Exile target creature or planeswalker at the beginning of the next end step or if they would leave the battlefield. When you do, its controller investigates and you create a token that's a copy of it.
    Rumor has it that the real Ajani died during the invasion.

Hmm I guess it creates a delayed trigger that eventually goes onto the stack. This is a psudo-mindcontrol effect done in an interesting way. It does feel UW.

Spoiler: Tom
    Show

Chains of Rage R
    Sorcery
    Goad target creature an opponent controls. Then that creature's controller may copy this spell and may choose a new target for that copy.

I like this card thought you can end up in a standstill if you and your opponent want to lol. Maybe it should only target creatres that aren't goaded.

Spoiler: Winner
    Show

mystic1110 with Bonestorm. oops I mean Osteosink!
    Spoiler: My Homebrew(3.5):
    Show
    All hail the white space, for from it all posts are shaped.
    Hey look, it is the oldest trick in the book!

8. - Top - End - #968
    Troll in the Playground

Thank you for the win!

Next challenge: Take 2 creature types that do not previously exist on a card together (not counting changeling) and make a creature card with those types.

9. - Top - End - #969
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dancers of the New Flesh 1WG
    Artifact Creature - Pyrexian Reveler R
    Lifelink
    At the begining of each player's upkeep that player draws a card.
    Whenever a player draws a card they may pay [1], if they don't they gain a poison counter.
    Celebrate, perfection draws near.
    2/4
    Last edited by Quiddle; 2023-05-11 at 02:57 AM.

10. - Top - End - #970
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Topiary Guardian 1G
    Artifact Creature - Plant Sculpture U
    Defender
    X: ~'s base power and toughness each becomes equal to the base power and toughness of target creature with mana value X. You can only pay X with green mana.
    0/5
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2023-05-10 at 09:33 PM.
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Ettin in the Playground

Bloodthirsty Goblin - R
    Creature - Goblin Vampire C
    Haste (This creature can attack the
    turn it enters the battlefield.)

B: Bloodthirsty Goblin gains lifelink
    and menace until end of turn.
    (Damage it deals causes you to
    gain that much life, and it can't be
    blocked by only one creature.)

1/1
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2023-05-11 at 12:14 AM.

12. - Top - End - #972
    Bugbear in the Playground

Phytohydra Seed GGWW
    Creature — Hydra Egg
    If damage would be dealt to Phytohydra Seed, create a 0/0 green Hydra creature token with trample that enters the battlefield with that many +1/+1 counters on it instead.
    When a Hydra you control dies, create a token that is a copy of Phytohydra Seed.
    0/3

13. - Top - End - #973
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Compleated Crab U
    Creature - Phyrexian Crab C
    Whenever you pay life to cast a spell or activate an ability, target oppenent mills 3 cards. This effect only triggers the first time each source causes you to pay life each turn.
    0/3

The second clause should probably be worded better but is there so that you can't just win T2 by going swamp, blood celebrant, filter into crab, pay 18 life to mill 54.
    Last edited by Tom the Mime; 2023-05-15 at 04:17 PM.

14. - Top - End - #974

[Bix the Lucky][R]
    A goblin stands among a cloudscape, dressed in an ill-fitting robe with taped-on wings and halo, holding a lyre with a few broken strings. He looks a bit confused.
    Legendary Creature - Goblin Angel (R)
    Flying, Indestructible
    Bix the Lucky may not be summoned by paying its mana cost. Instead, whenever a Goblin you control is sent to your Graveyard, you may exile it instead; if you do, summon Bix the Lucky.
    0/1
    "Whew. That arrow almost had my name on it."
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

15. - Top - End - #975
    Troll in the Playground

Apologies for delay - Judging will occur tomorrow.

16. - Top - End - #976
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Quiddle
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    Dancers of the New Flesh 1WG
    Artifact Creature - Pyrexian Reveler R
    Lifelink
    At the begining of each player's upkeep that player draws a card.
    Whenever a player draws a card they may pay [1], if they don't they gain a poison counter.
    Celebrate, perfection draws near.
    2/4
    I really like this although not sure how much of a threat this is given that Poison is divorced from Life. If player's don't pay anything (and don't draw anything else), it's a 5 turn clock, but if it is removed, the progress is really lost unless you have more poison.

Spoiler: Ben-Zayb
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Topiary Guardian 1G
    Artifact Creature - Plant Sculpture U
    Defender
    X: ~'s base power and toughness each becomes equal to the base power and toughness of target creature with mana value X. You can only pay X with green mana.
    0/5
    Was the intention for it to lose defender if you change its P/T? Isn't the current stackless battle rule mean that you can't block and then change its power to kill the attacker? Apologies if I missed something.

Spoiler: Dr.Gunsforhands
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    Bloodthirsty Goblin - R
    Creature - Goblin Vampire C
    Haste (This creature can attack the
    turn it enters the battlefield.)

B: Bloodthirsty Goblin gains lifelink
    and menace until end of turn.
    (Damage it deals causes you to
    gain that much life, and it can't be
    blocked by only one creature.)

1/1
    Was hoping for a Goblin Vamp! This seems perfect for a common!

Spoiler: TiaC
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TiaC View Post
    Phytohydra Seed GGWW
    Creature — Hydra Egg
    If damage would be dealt to Phytohydra Seed, create a 0/0 green Hydra creature token with trample that enters the battlefield with that many +1/+1 counters on it instead.
    When a Hydra you control dies, create a token that is a copy of Phytohydra Seed.
    0/3
    Shocked that there isn't a Hydra Egg already . . . Otherwise, this is really cool - but probably should've been a 0/1. Otherwise, you can keep shocking the single Seed to keep making baby hydra's (not sure why you would), but the flavor of that is a little off.

Spoiler: Tom the Mine
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom the Mime View Post
    Compleated Crab U
    Creature - Phyrexian Crab C
    Whenever you pay life to cast a spell or activate an ability, target oppenent mills 3 cards. This effect only triggers the first time each source causes you to pay life each turn.
    0/3

The second clause should probably be worded better but is there so that you can't just win T2 by going swamp, blood celebrant, filter into crab, pay 18 life to mill 54.
    The second clause is absolutely needed. With it, I think this is a great common.

Spoiler: Ironsmith
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironsmith View Post
    [Bix the Lucky][R]
    A goblin stands among a cloudscape, dressed in an ill-fitting robe with taped-on wings and halo, holding a lyre with a few broken strings. He looks a bit confused.
    Legendary Creature - Goblin Angel (R)
    Flying, Indestructible
    Bix the Lucky may not be summoned by paying its mana cost. Instead, whenever a Goblin you control is sent to your Graveyard, you may exile it instead; if you do, summon Bix the Lucky.
    0/1
    "Whew. That arrow almost had my name on it."
    I think Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar shows you do not need "may not be cast" for creatures without manacosts. Otherwise, this is a funny little card - a guardian angle arriving too late

Spoiler: winner
    Show

I think a very strong round - but have to give it to Dr.Gunsforhands

17. - Top - End - #977
    Ettin in the Playground

Hooray! Thanks! What can I say, I have a soft spot for these kind of tutorial commons. Speaking of which!

This week, make a card that could serve a tutorial role in an introductory set.

The role itself is up to you. It could be as simple as, 'this is what X creature type is about.' Maybe it's an obvious cornerstone card for a common deck archetype that makes all its weaker supporting cards suddenly make sense. Maybe it's something you wish a card did to help demonstrate something when you were new, or maybe it's a card with new reminder text explaining a rule you just found out about yesterday!

Have fun!
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2023-05-19 at 02:03 PM.

18. - Top - End - #978
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think it's important to have cards that teach/remind players that multi-blocking is an option.

Cunning Maneuver UU
    Enchantment-Aura U
    Enchant Creature you control
    When Cunning Maneuver enters the battlefield, enchanted creature can only be blocked by 2 or more creatures this turn.
    Whenever enchanted creature deals combat damage to a player you may return Cunning Maneuver to its owner's hand and draw a card.
    Last edited by Quiddle; 2023-05-23 at 02:58 AM.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #979
    Troll in the Playground

The ever popular 2nd main phase lesson

Single-Eyed Herald 2RW
    Creature - Cyclops Knight (U)
    First Strike
    If Single-Eyed Herald is tapped, whenever a land enters the battlefield, Single-Eyed Herald deals 2 damage to target creature and you gain 2 life.
    3/3

20. - Top - End - #980
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Probably more of an intermediate tutorial given how layers work. In this case, abilities that set P/T are applied before things that modify them without setting them. Also works in a "counters matter" set to tie things together, either turning off drawbacks of your creatures or turning off abilities of your opponents creatures, depending on set design.

Onion Knight 1WG
    Creature - Knight U
    When ~ enters the battlefield, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
    All creatures with counters on them lose all abilities and have base power and toughness 1/1.
    1/1
    Magic, like an onion, has layers
    Last edited by Tom the Mime; 2023-05-22 at 03:46 PM.

21. - Top - End - #981

Deft Assassin 2BB
    Creature — Vampire Assassin U
    First Strike
    Deathtouch
    2/1

First strike triggers resolve before regular damage, deathtouch allows splitting damage, and it's sometimes best to just let an attacker through.
    Last edited by TiaC; 2023-05-23 at 01:30 PM.

22. - Top - End - #982

[Castle Guard][1W]
    Creature - Human Soldier (C)
    First Strike, Defender
    2/1

By enforcing a defensive role, this card serves to highlight the blocking utility that comes with the First Strike keyword. Also, it makes for a very cheap, but somewhat effective, chump blocker.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

23. - Top - End - #983
    Ettin in the Playground

Cunning Maneuver seems to forget that Menace already exists as a keyword to teach that? On the other hand, Deft Assassin may be teaching the wrong lesson entirely. That ability combo is at its strongest if you leave it to block instead, as Castle Guard will tell you. This too can be solved with Menace, if you use it instead of First Strike.

Single-eyed Harold (I've decided this is his name) is a strong, aggressive Landfall-style card! It probably works best in a limited format, one where Landfall either isn't a thing or is specifically R/G and just overlaps with this a little bit. A 4-mana swiss army knife of a creature would help a sort of Lorehold Midrange plan, where I guess the theme is caring about being tapped? Which has worked before, in these colors no less. It has a higher skill floor than the other entries here - it feels less like the lesson and more like the exam.

Onion Knight almost feels that way too, but the phrase "base power and toughness" helps imply that its thing is happening under the counters, as it were. It's still weird enough that it needs to be rare, and it could get away with costing less. I like that it sometimes works as a debuff, but effects like that are cheap for a reason. The deck Onion Knight would want to go in would probably have a bunch of 0/0 creatures with counters on them, which would be buffed to 1/1 by the knight's ability. That's a fun realization to have in play! This might explain why you felt it needed to be green; that kind of creature is more of a G/U archetype than a W one. A limited W/G archetype probably wouldn't like this much as a signpost uncommon. Another reason to bump it to rare instead, I guess.

Ironsmith almost won this on pure practicality, but thankfully they already printed Haunted Guardian so I can feel justified in picking something more fun.

Spoiler: Flavor Face-off: Knights Edition
    Show
    Onion:
    - Green/white is the color of an onion plant
    - Can't tell what species she is under all the armor
    - The reference to layers points directly at the rule it's referencing, which is cool in an Un-set kind of way
    - The idea of jamming a creature in a layer of armor to make it lose its abilities is fun

- Only comes with what feels like one layer of armor, which she doesn't even wear usually
    - Wait, does the ability make it lose the ability that makes it lose its abilities...? (No it doesn't, again because of layers but this time it's way more specific of a rule)

Harold:
    - Red/white loves to attack
    - "Heralds" an effect that feels like a lightning helix mortar shot
    - Being a cyclops means he has to get up close to target it because depth perception
    - First strike sells me on a big Knight

- I'd never have guessed how it was meant to fit into the teaching theme if you didn't say; I assume something like this taught you to do stuff in the second main phase in your personal experience
    - Flavor-wise I'm not sure why he cares about lands as opposed to, say, enchantments

mystic1110 wins! In fact, it was at the very end that I thought of the depth perception angle, which is what wound up pushing the face-off in your favor.

24. - Top - End - #984
    Troll in the Playground

Apologies for the delay in the next contest.

In honor of that, make a card around the concept of Delay

25. - Top - End - #985
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Holding Cell W
    Artifact U
    Vanishing 2
    When ~ enters the battlefield, exile target creature.
    When ~ leaves the battlefield, return the exiled creature to the battlefield under its owner's control.
    X, sacrifice a clue: Put X time counters on ~.
    "We can only hold him for 48 hours without charging him so you'd best make them count"

The last ability is more for flavour but could extend the functionality mid-to-late game if there's something you need to stay gone more than you need card draw from a clue.
    Last edited by Tom the Mime; 2023-06-09 at 03:45 AM.

26. - Top - End - #986

[The Inevitable][5R]
    A massive humanoid's silhouette strains against a set of chains, which are on the verge of snapping.
    Creature - Giant (R)
    The Inevitable enters the battlefield tapped.
    During its controller's Untap step, any player may pay [3]. If they do, The Inevitable does not untap this turn.
    Vigilance, Trample, Menace, Double Strike
    6/6
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2023-06-06 at 12:02 PM.

27. - Top - End - #987
    Dwarf in the Playground

Teferi, Who Turns Back Time 1UUBB
    Legendary Planeswalker - Teferi MR
    +1: Each player puts a card from their hand onto the top of their library.
    -2: Return two target permanents controlled by different players to their owner's hands. You may activate another one of Teferi, Who Turns Back Time's loyalty abilities this turn.
    -4: Each player shuffles all cards in their hand, exile, and graveyard into their library, then draws three cards.
    Last edited by Quiddle; 2023-06-09 at 02:41 AM.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #988
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Perdeta, Bureaucracy Enforcer 3WUB
    Legendary Artifact Creature - Drone Advisor M
    Each permanent an opponent controls without exactly one file counter on it can't attack, block, or activate non-mana abilities.
    At the beginning of your upkeep, you may remove X file counters from ~. If you do, exile target permanent with mana value X or less until end of turn.
    1: Put three file counters on a permanent you control or move a file counter from it to this creature. Only opponents may activate this ability.
    0/3
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2023-06-08 at 02:13 AM.

29. - Top - End - #989

Mortuary Moratorium 3W
    Enchantment
    Whenever a creature you control would be dealt combat damage, prevent that damage and put that many destiny counters on that creature.
    At the beginning of your upkeep, for each creature you control, remove all destiny counters from that creature, then Mortuary Moratorium deals damage to that creature equal to the number of counters removed from it.
    Sacrifice Mortuary Moratorium: remove all destiny counters from creatures you control.
    Last edited by TiaC; 2023-06-08 at 10:05 PM.

30. - Top - End - #990
    Ettin in the Playground

Hangup Charm - 2(u/w)
    Instant - U
    Choose one -
    - Counter target activated or triggered ability
    - Remove target attacking or blocking creature from combat
    - Return target enchantment to its owner's hand