New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1530313233343536373839404142 LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1243
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: MTG - You Make The Card VIII: Escape - Exile 7 MTG topics to create this thread

I think you misread my card. Basically, you pay the cost until you hit a retread, then you shuffle someone else's thing away and reset, growing all the while still, i agree it was too complicated.
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: MTG - You Make The Card VIII: Escape - Exile 7 MTG topics to create this thread

I think Sphinx's Mastery is supposed to be a color shifted lich's mastery?

anyway thanks for the win :)

Next week I desire a card that either takes inspiration from an existing card with a protection from X ability or a card that takes inspiration from the protection ability.
    Spoiler: My Homebrew(3.5):
    Show
    All hail the white space, for from it all posts are shaped.
    Hey look, it is the oldest trick in the book!

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post

Next week I desire a card that either takes inspiration from an existing card with a protection from X ability or a card that takes inspiration from the protection ability.
    Yes. It is not a creature.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Troll in the Playground

Heavenslayer Demon 3BB
    Creature — Demon Rare
    Flying, first strike, lifelink, protection from Angels.
    5/5
    Last edited by mystic1110; 2024-01-31 at 11:29 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Yes. It is not a creature.
    Oh! Okay, you really were right to think its creature abilities didn't matter.

Pithing Knight - WW
    A small white rodent, riding a lizard, wielding a weird-looking crochet needle like a lance.
    Creature - Mouse Knight R
    First Strike
    As Pithing Knight enters the battlefield, look at target opponent's hand, then choose a card name.
    Creatures you control can't be targeted, blocked, destroyed, or dealt damage by sources with the chosen name.
    2/2
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2024-02-01 at 07:50 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Re: Aether Tug The intent of the card is to add enchanted permanent to the card/s being shuffled, not replacement entirely.

Akroma, Angel of Turbulence 5UUU
    Legendary Creature - Angel M
    Flash
    Flying, Prowess, Vigilance, Protection from red and green
    Whenever ~ deals combat damage, distribute that many stun counters among up to that many target permanents, then tap them.
    6/6
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2024-01-31 at 09:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post

[Slayer of Fiends] [RR4]
    Creature - Human Warrior (R)
    Protection from Demons, Vigilance, Double Strike
    During your End step, if any player sent a Demon to the graveyard this turn, you may exile it, then search your library for an Artifact Equipment with a converted mana cost less than or equal to the exiled Demon's power; reveal it, then add it to your hand.
    2/2
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Here's a riff off of "master of waves"

Tidal Servant (3u)

creature- elemental (m)

Elementals ypu control get +1/+X where X is your devotion to blue.

U: target permanent or spell becomes Red.

Sacrifice an elemental: target permanent or player gains Protection from Red until end of turn.

0/0
    Last edited by Feathersnow; 2024-02-01 at 04:26 PM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

9. - Top - End - #1179

Protective Aura 2W
    Instant - R
    Choose one—
    • Prevent all damage that would be dealt to creatures you control this turn.
    • Creatures you control cannot be blocked this turn.
    • Creatures you control gain hexproof until end of turn.

Pick one part of Protection from Everything. I know unblockablity is a bit out of color for white, but protection is primary for white.
    Last edited by TiaC; 2024-02-04 at 01:50 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: Heavenslayer
    Show
    Heavenslayer Demon 3BB
    Creature — Demon Rare
    Flying, first strike, lifelink, protection from Angels.
    5/5

Baneslayer in reverse- still a good value formula.

Spoiler: Pithing
    Show
    Pithing Knight - WW
    A small white rodent, riding a lizard, wielding a weird-looking crochet needle like a lance.
    Creature - Mouse Knight R
    First Strike
    As Pithing Knight enters the battlefield, look at target opponent's hand, then choose a card name.
    Creatures you control can't be targeted, blocked, destroyed, or dealt damage by sources with the chosen name.
    2/2

Missing the attach part of protection but without targeting I think thats fine lol. This is a very cute hatebear.

Spoiler: Akroma
    Show
    Akroma, Angel of Turbulence 5UUU
    Legendary Creature - Angel M
    Flash
    Flying, Prowess, Vigilance, Protection from red and green
    Whenever ~ deals combat damage, distribute that many stun counters among up to that many target permanents, then tap them.
    6/6
    I know this is a top end finish-the-game type creature, but flashing in for psudo-haste then tapping 6 of your opponent’s lands every turn doesn't seem very nice. Solid submission but maybe make it non-land?

Spoiler: Slayer
    Show
    [Slayer of Fiends] [RR4]
    Creature - Human Warrior (R)
    Protection from Demons, Vigilance, Double Strike
    During your End step, if any player sent a Demon to the graveyard this turn, you may exile it, then search your library for an Artifact Equipment with a converted mana cost less than or equal to the exiled Demon's power; reveal it, then add it to your hand.
    2/2

I'm not sure what this one is referencing. This feels very weak for a 6 mana creature, it trades with a 4/4 and has an okay tutor ability that means you probably want to run a bunch of demons, which also feels a little like a flavor fail. The vigilance is nice, and the double strike means once you get equipment on it, you'll get some payoff. Consider reworking the ability.

Spoiler: Tidal
    Show
    Tidal Servant (3u)
    creature- elemental (m)
    Elementals ypu control get +1/+X where X is your devotion to blue.
    U: target permanent or spell becomes Red.
    Sacrifice an elemental: target permanent or player gains Protection from Red until end of turn.
    0/0

This is interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about the +1/+x part but the protection side is really interesting. This doesn't give you any other elementals to fuel the protection ability but if you can find some the pay off is quite good.

Spoiler: Aura
    Show
    Protective Aura 2W
    Instant - R
    Choose one—
    Prevent all damage that would be dealt to creatures you control this turn.
    Creatures you control cannot be blocked this turn.
    Creatures you control gain hexproof until end of turn.

An Indestructible "Aura" fan I see. I know can't be blocked is a protection ability, but it doesn't feel very white to me? I think its fun that you sliced up protection into each of its parts for this challenge.

Spoiler: Winner!
    Show
    The mouse with the needle, its Pithing Knight!
    Last edited by Quiddle; 2024-02-06 at 11:37 AM.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1181

And now that you've judged it, here's a un-set entry for last round.

False-Name Nemesis 1UU
    Creature - Merfolk Rogue C
    False-Name Nemesis has protection from you.
    3/1

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Ettin in the Playground

False-name nemesis would still be a fun black-bordered card, would it not? Immune to pestilence and earthquake and such?

Anyway, this week I am thinking about In Stars and Time a lot because it is great. Maybe we can use that?

This week, Make a sadness!

In ISAT, they are basically a kind of undead, but I will not hold anyone to any of that. It does not even need to be a creature. Any interpretation of sadness will do.

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Enforced Mourning (B/W)(b/w)(b/w)(b/w)
    Enchantment (rare)

Whenever a creature dies, creatures that share a controller gain defender until end of turn.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    Any interpretation of sadness will do.
    Alright - how about S.A.D.-ness (single attribute dependency)

Over-Optimized Barbarian RRR
    Creature - Human Warrior R
    As long as Over-Optimized Barbarian has more power than damage counters on it, it can't be destroyed by damage.
    R: Over-Optimized Barbarian gets +1/+0 until the end of the turn.
    4/1
    Last edited by Quiddle; 2024-02-07 at 08:20 PM.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Troll in the Playground

Circling the Abyss B
    Enchantment - Saga
    (As this Saga enters and after your draw step, add a lore counter. Sacrifice after III.)
    I — Discard a Card
    II — Sacrifice a Creature
    III — Lose the Game

16. - Top - End - #1186

[Mournful Dredge] [B]
    Creature - Zombie Ooze (C)
    Mournful Dredge does not untap during its controller's untap step.
    When Mournful Dredge blocks an attack, create a token which is a copy of Mournful Dredge.
    1/1
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Survivor's Guilt 2WWW
    Enchantment - Aura Curse M
    Flash
    Enchant player
    ~ enters the battlefield with a guilt counter on it for each creature that died this turn that enchanted player controlled.
    At the beginning of each upkeep, that player may tap one or more untapped creatures they control. If they do, remove a guilt counter from ~ for each creature tapped this way, then sacrifice it if it has no guilt counters on it. Otherwise, enchanted player can't attack or cast noncreature spells this turn.
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2024-02-10 at 03:33 PM.
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Barbarian in the Playground

I haven't played M:tG in years and thus have no clue about current metas or power level, but I still feel an urge to dabble in this thread:

Death of a Hero 2B
    Enchantment - Aura (C)
    Flash
    When enchanted creature dies, all creatures sharing a controller get -X/-0 where X is the enchanted creature's toughness.
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Ettin in the Playground

In a probably-misguided judging-format experiment, I'll go ahead and review Enforced Mourning, Survivor's Guilt, and Death of a Hero together, because they're three takes on the same idea and it's interesting how they're all different. As a group, they all feel a little expensive, but their effects are weird and game-gooping enough that making them expensive comes back around to being a good idea. Enforced Mourning is interesting because the flavor works, but it's mechanically surprisingly narrow; you need to plan on killing one of your opponents' creatures on their turn before combat to get it to trigger. Survivor's Guilt being a curse is fun, it posits that you overcome it with support from your creature friends, and it leaves a weird little response window where you can cast Disenchant. Death of a Hero kind of combines the two, affecting the group only if you hit a thing pre-combat and wearing off on its own. It feels like it should have been folded into a removal spell, so you could get the effect without waiting for another card to combine with.

Over-Optimized Barbarian is just the reverse of the High Alert ability, which is cool. I'm not sure what to make of it on just one creature where it just looks like an excuse to give Red a Shade ability. A SAD-barian Lord of some kind might have sealed the deal.

Circling the Abyss is off the charts as Donate fodder. I think they avoid printing things like that on purpose. Having to at least discard one card first is a clever extra cost, but it doesn't matter much when the combo kills someone on turn two-and-a-half.

Mournful Dredge understood the assignment! Sort of! The mechanic that lets it attack exactly once is weird, knowing that Defender would have fit its mechanics perfectly. I guess it's an invitation for tap-down effects if they're in the set, since it gets too depressed to get back up once it's knocked down that way, but literally any non-combat damage will work just as well.

The privilege of judging the next round goes to Feathersnow!

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Okay. Here's a theme that is very important to me, especially now. Twins
    GNU Terry Pratchett

21. - Top - End - #1191

[Gemini Incident][3[U/W]]
    A young mage stares wide-eyed at an open portal, through which stares back their grizzled, older counterpart.
    Enchantment Aura (R)
    Enchant target creature you control. Create a token that is a copy of that creature and place a +1/+1 counter on the token. Any ability that affects the enchanted creature affects the token as well. If enchanted creature would be destroyed, exile both it and the token instead.

> [Sacrifice this permanent] : Exile enchanted creature.
    "Always respect your elders."
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2024-02-16 at 12:07 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Barbarian in the Playground

Soul Bond 2WB
    Enchantment (R)
    Enchant Player
    When ~ enters play, set your life total equal to the life total of enchanted player
    Whenever you gain or lose life from a source not called ~, enchanted player's life is modified by the same amount
    Whenever enchanted player gains or loses life from a source not called ~, your life is modified by the same amount
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Ettin in the Playground

Allie, Social Theorist - 3
    Legendary Creature - Human Gamer MR
    Allie, Social Theorist is all colors.
    Flash, Haste
    T: Choose target spell you don't control. Search your library for a card with the same name as that spell. You may cast it without paying its mana cost. Then shuffle.
    -
    "I never metagame I didn't like!"
    1/1
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2024-02-23 at 07:42 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Shujiro of Two Souls B(B/R)R
    Legendary Creature - Human Samurai M
    Soulbond, Haste, Indestructible
    Other Samurai and Warrior creatures you control have soulbond and haste.
    As long as ~ is paired with a creature, each paired creature you control get +1/+1 and has haste if the creature it's paired with has haste. If ~ is paired with Seitaro of Two Souls, the same is true for bushido, deathtouch, indestructible, lifelink, and trample.
    Partners with Seitaro of Two Souls (A deck can have two commander cards named Shujiro of Two Souls.)
    2/1

//

Seitaro of Two Souls U(U/R)R
    Legendary Creature - Human Samurai M
    Soulbond, Haste, Hexproof
    Other Samurai and Rogues creatures you control have soulbond and haste.
    As long as ~ is paired with a creature, each paired creature you control get +1/+1 and has haste if the creature it's paired with has haste. If ~ is paired with Shujiro of Two Souls, the same is true for first strike, double strike, hexproof, menace, vigilance, and ward.
    Partners with Shujiro of Two Souls (A deck can have two commander cards named Shujiro of Two Souls.)
    2/1
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2024-02-18 at 02:21 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1195
    Troll in the Playground

Dizygotic Emergence 1GG
    Sorcery - Rare
    As an additional cost to cast this spell, sacrifice a creature.
    Search your library for up to two creature cards with different names that each have mana value of X, where X is the sacrificed creature’s mana value minus 1. Put those cards onto the battlefield, then shuffle.

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Dwarf in the Playground

Troublesome Twins 1W
    Creature - Human Rogue U
    When Troublesome Twins enters the battlefield if its not a token create a token copy of it.

If a spell or ability would target Troublesome Twins flip a coin, if the result is heads you may change the target to any creature named Troublesome Twins.

1/2
    Last edited by Quiddle; 2024-02-21 at 12:45 PM.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1197

Twinself 3WU
    Enchantment - R
    When Twinself enters the battlefield, note your life total.
    At the beginning of your upkeep, exile the top card of your library. Then, you may exchange your life total with the last life total you noted. When you do, exchange your hand with the cards exiled with Twinself.

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Judgement!

I suppose I should explain my twin brother is currently in hospice care and may not last much longer. He loves Magic, so I thought of him when I was selected to judge this round.

Spoiler: Twinself
    Show

This is really fun. It is a twist combing effects that exist before in a unique way, and the costing makes sense.

Spoiler: Troublesome Twins
    Show

I can definitely see some possibilities with this in a deck designed to blink things. So it has to be white to fit. That said, there us a disconnect in that the name and effect both scream "red."

Spoiler: Dizygotic Emergence
    Show

I really like this! It takes the concept in its literal meaning then goes with an eminently printable effect.

Spoiler: Brothers of the Two Souls
    Show

I really like this concept. The two sided "partner with itself" concept seems needlessly complicated, but I kinda like it.

As for the effects, a Grixis Party Commander is exactly my bag, I would probably build this deck if it were real.

Spoiler: Allie, Social Theorist
    Show

A meta chaser to expand the psychographic cycle, this one playable in a "all good stuff" deck. Also have a soft spot for 5 color Commanders. I find this amusing.

Spoiler: Soul Bond
    Show

This is a mighty powerful effect! Im not sure how it would play irl, but it seems like it could enable shenanigans.

Spoiler: Gemini incident
    Show

I like this idea, but the cost and wording both seem off, somehow. I might go with something cleaner and add another pip of mana to the cost, but I'm not sure.

Winning submission:

This is a tough call. All of you were good, and many of you were truly great. I'm going with my emotions and giving the honor of the next round to

Ben-Zayb and his Two-Soul brothers.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Thanks, Feathersnow! I'm sorry to hear about that and sending positive vibes your way.

For this week's challenge, make any of the following:
    • A multicolored card that can be a Commander
    • A card that can generally support multicolored Commanders or commander decks
    • A card that can support a specific multicolored Commander (or Commanders, when partnered)

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Altar of The Foresaken (w/g)(u/g)(r/g)(b/g)
    Legendary Kindred Artifact- Nephilim

Altar of The Foresaken may be your Commander. If it is, at the beginning of each game you may name a Nephilim card from your library. It is also your Commander. Put it in the command zone before you draw your opening hand.

Partner with a Nephilim (When this card enters the battlefield, you may search your library for a Nephilim card, then shuffle.)

Altar of the Foresaken and other Nephilim you control have Sunburst. (They enter the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter for each color mana spent on them.)

Remove 6 +1/+1 counters from a Nephilim you control: Return target creature card in your graveyard to your hand. This ability costs 1 +1/+1 counter less for each of that card's colors.
    Last edited by Feathersnow; 2024-03-07 at 06:28 AM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett