New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1126272829303132333435363738 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1111
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: (IC) HtV STL by Night

"If you're not known for that stuff, might be best to skip it after all. Shall we get going?"
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Seth nods in agreement. "Yeah man, let's get this over with." It doesn't take long to look up nearby bus stops and routes. The group drop Seth off at a stop that will take him out towards Salem, before the bus then travels another 30 miles to the next nearest podunk town.

At the bus stop, Seth will slowly pull himself out of the car, leaning back in to grab his bag. Before he pulls his head out, he says, "Thanks for everything guys. I know I'm asking a lot, but I really trust you." Despite the vote of confidence, it's clear Seth is speaking more as a plea. His eyes scan both Frank and Jen's searching for reassurance. Then he'll lean back out of the car, and tap the hood before closing the door. As he trundles over to the bench under the stop's awning, the smell in the car quickly improves. Soon the two have pulled away and are heading for the freeway.

(OOC: Offering to give the two PCs a moment to discuss, but otherwise can move us to meeting with Keen)
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    Seth nods in agreement. "Yeah man, let's get this over with." It doesn't take long to look up nearby bus stops and routes. The group drop Seth off at a stop that will take him out towards Salem, before the bus then travels another 30 miles to the next nearest podunk town.

At the bus stop, Seth will slowly pull himself out of the car, leaning back in to grab his bag. Before he pulls his head out, he says, "Thanks for everything guys. I know I'm asking a lot, but I really trust you." Despite the vote of confidence, it's clear Seth is speaking more as a plea. His eyes scan both Frank and Jen's searching for reassurance. Then he'll lean back out of the car, and tap the hood before closing the door. As he trundles over to the bench under the stop's awning, the smell in the car quickly improves. Soon the two have pulled away and are heading for the freeway.

(OOC: Offering to give the two PCs a moment to discuss, but otherwise can move us to meeting with Keen)
    Jen waits until they pull away.

"I don't trust him at all," Jen said, "I'm about two seconds from turning him over to Keen for that stunt he tried to pull with the contract. Plus if Keen's as powerful as he says, we might be screwing ourselves by annoying him."
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"I get it, but I trust Keen even less, I think he's going to be a potential problem even if we do everything he wants. He might actually be a bigger threat if we make ourselves useful to him just because he might not want to let us go... At least this way he'll have something more important to chase after rather than dealing with us." Frank rubs his temples, feeling a growing headache.

"I think this is probably the right move, but I wouldn't put any money on the bet if I had an option to just not play. What do you think? We still have the opportunity to serve Seth up on a platter if need be."
    Last edited by Daishain; 2024-02-02 at 11:43 PM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    "I get it, but I trust Keen even less, I think he's going to be a potential problem even if we do everything he wants. He might actually be a bigger threat if we make ourselves useful to him just because he might not want to let us go... At least this way he'll have something more important to chase after rather than dealing with us." Frank rubs his temples, feeling a growing headache.

"I think this is probably the right move, but I wouldn't put any money on the bet if I had an option to just not play. What do you think? We still have the opportunity to serve Seth up on a platter if need be."
    “You know, when you put it that way, being completely incompetent is probably the best way to go…” Jen said, “let’s stick with the plan, we’ll tell Keen we lost him and where.”
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

It's a good twenty plus minutes of freeway driving when the two get to the parking lot that they had agreed to meet Keen at. Keen's sedan is parked in a half empty parking lot of a Straub's grocery store, far enough from the building that there aren't many other parked cars nearby. When the two pull up, he is leaning against the passenger side of his car, looking impatient and smoking a cigarette. When the two get out he says through grit teeth, "What took you so long," the question almost an accusation. He practically throws the cigarette butt on the ground, grinding it out with one of his polished black leather shoes, the toe box pointed like a spear's tip.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #1057
    Titan in the Playground

It's a good twenty plus minutes of freeway driving when the two get to the parking lot that they had agreed to meet Keen at. Keen's sedan is parked in a half empty parking lot of a Straub's grocery store, far enough from the building that there aren't many other parked cars nearby. When the two pull up, he is leaning against the passenger side of his car, looking impatient and smoking a cigarette. When the two get out he says through grit teeth, "What took you so long," the question almost an accusation. He practically throws the cigarette butt on the ground, grinding it out with one of his polished black leather shoes, the toe box pointed like a spear's tip.
    Jen would have preferred calling Keen to tell him that Seth had run, but it was too late for that now.
    “He knew something was up and took off at a red light,” Jen said, “we tried to chase him but it was like he vanished into thin air.”
    She gave the location to Keen.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2024-02-10 at 09:12 PM.
    TC for short

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Keen lowers his head toward Jen at this, the gesture seemingly a threat though you can't see his eyes behind the sunglasses. But before he can say anything, Frank blurts out, "He got on a bus before we could get to him." He pauses, taking the moment to shrug. "But he did have his cellphone on him. It might have been a burner," Frank adds excitedly, acting like he had just thought of it, "I have his number if you know of some way to track it."

"I see," Keen says flatly, his lips pursed as if he had just sucked on a lemon. He takes the number from Frank and plugs it into his phone. Then he takes a deep breath in and out. His hands close and open in and out of fists. Then he asks, "And how do I know you didn't help him escape?"

Frank opens his mouth, his eyes wide. Jen can see him scrambling for an answer, but all he can manage is, "Well..." He looks to Jen desperately for help.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Titan in the Playground

Keen lowers his head toward Jen at this, the gesture seemingly a threat though you can't see his eyes behind the sunglasses. But before he can say anything, Frank blurts out, "He got on a bus before we could get to him." He pauses, taking the moment to shrug. "But he did have his cellphone on him. It might have been a burner," Frank adds excitedly, acting like he had just thought of it, "I have his number if you know of some way to track it."

"I see," Keen says flatly, his lips pursed as if he had just sucked on a lemon. He takes the number from Frank and plugs it into his phone. Then he takes a deep breath in and out. His hands close and open in and out of fists. Then he asks, "And how do I know you didn't help him escape?"

Frank opens his mouth, his eyes wide. Jen can see him scrambling for an answer, but all he can manage is, "Well..." He looks to Jen desperately for help.
    “Are you kidding? I want this to be done. I don’t want anything to do with.. whatever it is you two are involved in,” Jen replied, “bringing him here would have been the end of it.”

She shoves her hands in her pockets and mumbles something unintelligible.
    TC for short

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"I see," Keen says flatly, his entire demeanor expressing how little he believes the two. He clicks his tongue then says, "Well I suppose you will have to give me that number." He pauses, an eyebrow raising behind his sunglasses, then adds, "but just remember, if I can track Seth's phone with a number, I can also track yours." He pulls his cell out of his pocket, ready to take down the number to Seth's burner.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Titan in the Playground

"I see," Keen says flatly, his entire demeanor expressing how little he believes the two. He clicks his tongue then says, "Well I suppose you will have to give me that number." He pauses, an eyebrow raising behind his sunglasses, then adds, "but just remember, if I can track Seth's phone with a number, I can also track yours." He pulls his cell out of his pocket, ready to take down the number to Seth's burner.
    “Good, if I see him, I’ll ping you and you can come straight to my location,” Jen said, “I catch you anywhere near my house though and I’m calling the cops.”
    TC for short

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Jen's statement draws a smirk from Keen that is cold as ice and sharp like a sword. "You do that," he says.

Ignoring the potential threat, Frank steps forward and hastily hands over the number to Seth's burner. "We good," he asks hastily, staring wide eyed at Keen.

Keen studies him from behind his sunglasses. "Yeah," he replies flatly, "It's probably better I get to tracking Seth down again anyways." He allows his gaze to linger on Frank, then it floats to Jen. "Very well then. I hope this works," he says, extending a hand to slap Frank on the shoulder in a rather patronizing gesture, before turning and slamming his car door. The engine to his sedan growls to life and tires screech as it roars away.

Frank's face is pale, his eyes wide. Sheepishly he mumbles, "I... I don't like this."
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Titan in the Playground

Jen's statement draws a smirk from Keen that is cold as ice and sharp like a sword. "You do that," he says.

Ignoring the potential threat, Frank steps forward and hastily hands over the number to Seth's burner. "We good," he asks hastily, staring wide eyed at Keen.

Keen studies him from behind his sunglasses. "Yeah," he replies flatly, "It's probably better I get to tracking Seth down again anyways." He allows his gaze to linger on Frank, then it floats to Jen. "Very well then. I hope this works," he says, extending a hand to slap Frank on the shoulder in a rather patronizing gesture, before turning and slamming his car door. The engine to his sedan growls to life and tires screech as it roars away.

Frank's face is pale, his eyes wide. Sheepishly he mumbles, "I... I don't like this."
    “Me either, but what was the alternative, shoot him in the face?” Jen asked.
    TC for short

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Frank shrugs. "I'm not sure we win either way," he says with a shake of his head, "but maybe Seth being an alley is a better outcome than simply helping Keen. I don't get the sense he would ever... be on our side, if you know what I mean." Frank pauses, pursing his lips in though, then shakes his head again. With a sigh he will say, "Well, do we go pick Seth up then?"
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Titan in the Playground

Frank shrugs. "I'm not sure we win either way," he says with a shake of his head, "but maybe Seth being an alley is a better outcome than simply helping Keen. I don't get the sense he would ever... be on our side, if you know what I mean." Frank pauses, pursing his lips in though, then shakes his head again. With a sigh he will say, "Well, do we go pick Seth up then?"
    Jen paused.
    "How would we do that, we don't know where he is," she said.

Spoiler
    Show
    thought the plan was for him to lay low for a little while?
    TC for short

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Frank shrugs, "He said he'd be staying at a motel in Salem, and told us to come get him when the coast was clear. I suppose we don't have to go get him now, but now Keen is hopefully off chasing a burner on a bus."
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Titan in the Playground

Frank shrugs, "He said he'd be staying at a motel in Salem, and told us to come get him when the coast was clear. I suppose we don't have to go get him now, but now Keen is hopefully off chasing a burner on a bus."
    “Could always just… leave him there,” Jen said.
    TC for short

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Frank shakes his head, making a tisking noise with his tongue. "Both Seth and Keen have our contacts, and at least Keen knows where we work. If we are going to get in a bunch of grief for this, we may as well get something out of it as well." He sighs and shrugs his shoulders, before saying, "I won't force you to if you absolutely agree, but I don't think we can try to stay neutral at this point. If we pick a side, at least we can get something out of it." Despite his confidence, it is clear that Frank is waiting to hear Jen's thoughts. He wasn't putting his foot down, just trying to discuss the matter.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Titan in the Playground

Frank shakes his head, making a tisking noise with his tongue. "Both Seth and Keen have our contacts, and at least Keen knows where we work. If we are going to get in a bunch of grief for this, we may as well get something out of it as well." He sighs and shrugs his shoulders, before saying, "I won't force you to if you absolutely agree, but I don't think we can try to stay neutral at this point. If we pick a side, at least we can get something out of it." Despite his confidence, it is clear that Frank is waiting to hear Jen's thoughts. He wasn't putting his foot down, just trying to discuss the matter.
    Jen sighed heavily.

“Alright fine, but what’s the plan then… we pick him up and then… do what with him? We can’t go back to the mathers,” Jen said, “and he’s sure as hell not staying with one of us.”
    TC for short

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Frank shakes his head. "I'm not sure," he says with a sigh. Thinking it over Frank adds, "I mean, it's probably not a good idea for him to stay with us. If he has money for a hotel in Salem, you think he has money for a hotel in St. Louis?

He looks down at his pocket and reaching a hand in, pulls out the contract that Seth had given him. He holds it up to Jen, pinching it at the corner, asking, "And what do you think about this?"
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Titan in the Playground

Frank shakes his head. "I'm not sure," he says with a sigh. Thinking it over Frank adds, "I mean, it's probably not a good idea for him to stay with us. If he has money for a hotel in Salem, you think he has money for a hotel in St. Louis?

He looks down at his pocket and reaching a hand in, pulls out the contract that Seth had given him. He holds it up to Jen, pinching it at the corner, asking, "And what do you think about this?"
    "It's a trap, pretty obvious one," Jen replied, "let's leave it for now, I guess if we really really get into a bind, we'll have the option. I didn't see an expiration date on it, so...."

"As for Seth, I guess we can go see him now, since we know Keen is occupied," she added.
    TC for short

22. - Top - End - #1072
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Frank nods his head and starts to get back into the truck. But he doesn't seem to be ready to let the conversation go. "What do you think of everything Seth was saying?" he asks, eyes ahead rather than looking back at Jen, "Do you think they are really part of something... well weird? Like I doubt this is some Wytch ****, but it seems like everywhere we step there's something, I don't know, supernatural to run into."
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1073
    Titan in the Playground

Frank nods his head and starts to get back into the truck. But he doesn't seem to be ready to let the conversation go. "What do you think of everything Seth was saying?" he asks, eyes ahead rather than looking back at Jen, "Do you think they are really part of something... well weird? Like I doubt this is some Wytch ****, but it seems like everywhere we step there's something, I don't know, supernatural to run into."
    "Definitely seems like it," Jen replied, "he's talking about powers and things like that, plus who walks around with a contract like this? Seems like some kind of weird devil thing. I'll be honest, I'm not too enthused about getting involved in... whatever it is that's going on between Seth and Keen. That Wytch woulda turned us into a coat if she could, who knows what Keen is capable of."
    TC for short

24. - Top - End - #1074
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Frank nods his head and lets out a noise, something like a groan. "Just what we need," he says shaking his head, allowing his face to show his exhaustion and frustration. He runs a hand through his hair in a familiar gesture and says, "Maybe that's more of a reason to get to know Black and his... secret society or whatever." Frank shrugs, but keeps his eye on the road.

(OOC: Happy to move things along or allow this conversation to continue depending on how interesting it is or if/how you want to explore it. Unless you really want to RP it, I think we can skip RPing picking Seth back up and bringing him to St. Louis, but up to you about what you want to do next.)
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1075
    Titan in the Playground

Frank nods his head and lets out a noise, something like a groan. "Just what we need," he says shaking his head, allowing his face to show his exhaustion and frustration. He runs a hand through his hair in a familiar gesture and says, "Maybe that's more of a reason to get to know Black and his... secret society or whatever." Frank shrugs, but keeps his eye on the road.

(OOC: Happy to move things along or allow this conversation to continue depending on how interesting it is or if/how you want to explore it. Unless you really want to RP it, I think we can skip RPing picking Seth back up and bringing him to St. Louis, but up to you about what you want to do next.)
    “Sure but that might be more of a you thing. I have a feeling my initiation might be an issue for them,” Jen replied.

Spoiler
    Show
    ok to skip.
    TC for short

26. - Top - End - #1076
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

“Sure but that might be more of a you thing. I have a feeling my initiation might be an issue for them,” Jen replied.
    Frank shrugs, keeping both hands on the wheel. "Let me deal with that," he says, his voice heavy with exhaustion.

The two proceed back to Salem to pick up Seth, eventually driving back to St. Louis and depositing him at a local motel in the affordable but very rough neighborhood North of Del Mar. Seth seems unperturbed by the run down and impoverished neighborhood; the motel of a similar maltreated quality. After this, the two part ways after Frank drops Jen back at her car.

There are no messages from Keen, or Seth, or anyone else overnight, and Jen is mercifully able to get some rest that evening. She hadn't made any immediate plans with Frank for the day, it was the weekend, meaning she didn't need to come into the office. For once, Jen had a little downtime for herself, to be used however she saw fit.

(OOC: I think we can basically wrap up the scene and put out some beats, but I figure we can give Jen the opportunity for a solo scene, maybe to pursue one of her Aspirations we haven't gotten to, so we will run one last scene... and maybe Daishain will be able to join us around the time it is wrapping up)
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1077
    Titan in the Playground

Frank shrugs, keeping both hands on the wheel. "Let me deal with that," he says, his voice heavy with exhaustion.

The two proceed back to Salem to pick up Seth, eventually driving back to St. Louis and depositing him at a local motel in the affordable but very rough neighborhood North of Del Mar. Seth seems unperturbed by the run down and impoverished neighborhood; the motel of a similar maltreated quality. After this, the two part ways after Frank drops Jen back at her car.

There are no messages from Keen, or Seth, or anyone else overnight, and Jen is mercifully able to get some rest that evening. She hadn't made any immediate plans with Frank for the day, it was the weekend, meaning she didn't need to come into the office. For once, Jen had a little downtime for herself, to be used however she saw fit.

(OOC: I think we can basically wrap up the scene and put out some beats, but I figure we can give Jen the opportunity for a solo scene, maybe to pursue one of her Aspirations we haven't gotten to, so we will run one last scene... and maybe Daishain will be able to join us around the time it is wrapping up)
    With the Seth situation finally resolved, if only temporarily, Jen takes the opportunity to sleep in the following morning. After breakfast, she reaches out to Caitlyn to see what she's up to, and then to her contact (Bill?) at the Brotherhood of Mather to see if anyone is going to be at the church today. If she can't reach any of them, she'll passively scroll through wanted ads to see if she can find some contracting work.
    TC for short

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Caitlyn replies, explaining how she was out late partying the night before and is currently struggling with a hangover, recovering from the night before. She's up to get brunch, or hang out, as long as Jen doesn't have anything too "exciting" planned for the day.

Bill replies that there are Saturday services this morning, but that some members of the Brotherhood will be "hanging out" in the afternoon. He invites Jen to come by if she is interested, but admits that attendance and interest has been a little low since The Wytch was defeated. He also asks Jen how things went with Seth, making a comment about how glad he is to see the man gone.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1079
    Titan in the Playground

Caitlyn replies, explaining how she was out late partying the night before and is currently struggling with a hangover, recovering from the night before. She's up to get brunch, or hang out, as long as Jen doesn't have anything too "exciting" planned for the day.

Bill replies that there are Saturday services this morning, but that some members of the Brotherhood will be "hanging out" in the afternoon. He invites Jen to come by if she is interested, but admits that attendance and interest has been a little low since The Wytch was defeated. He also asks Jen how things went with Seth, making a comment about how glad he is to see the man gone.
    Jen decides to meet up with Caitlyn, heavens knew she could use a lazy Saturday morning. She texted her back, then responds to Bill to let him know that the Seth situation is more or less resolved for now, and she'll fill him in later that afternoon. Then she showers and gets ready for brunch with her friend.
    TC for short

30. - Top - End - #1080
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Caitlyn tells Jen to meet her at City Loafers, a shop on the South side of St. Louis that started as a bakery, but has become popular for its pizzas and sandwiches. They recently started serving brunch and Caitlyn explains she's been wanting to check it out since she heard about it. Bill responds saying he'll be looking forward to it.

After washing up and taking care of her morning rituals, Jen drives over to City Loafers. It's a small, no frills place with minimalistic decoration and just a few more than 5 tables. Caitlyn is already there, waiting in a line leading up to the cash register, a mimosa in hand. She gives Jen a hug as she approaches and says, "They say it will be about 30 minutes before we're seated. You can pull a menu up on your phone. Someone will come by if you want to order a drink while we wait." She takes a sip of her mimosa and grins. "Thanks for coming," she says, "how have you been? I started the new job. So far so good!" She gives a girlish squeal of excitement.
    Show