New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 520212223242526272829303132333435363738 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: (IC) HtV STL by Night

Frank nods, "Yeah, sounds worth checking. Kinda doubt they have a regular website openly talking about what they actually do, but they've got to communicate somehow, and there's probably some sort of cover business or club we could poke at."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

2. - Top - End - #872
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

After a cup of coffee, and a little more talking, the two walk a few blocks down to the St. Louis Public Library (Schlafly location). It was a regal, semi-modern looking building, though there always seemed to be a few homeless individual sleeping under its awnings against the windows.

Though not empty, there are only a few high school students and the odd elderly individual roaming its vast stacks and expansive work areas.

(OOC: Let's start then with either an Int + Computers or Int + Academics, unless there's another roll you think makes more sense in this context)
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

3. - Top - End - #873
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    After a cup of coffee, and a little more talking, the two walk a few blocks down to the St. Louis Public Library (Schlafly location). It was a regal, semi-modern looking building, though there always seemed to be a few homeless individual sleeping under its awnings against the windows.

Though not empty, there are only a few high school students and the odd elderly individual roaming its vast stacks and expansive work areas.

(OOC: Let's start then with either an Int + Computers or Int + Academics, unless there's another roll you think makes more sense in this context)
    Jen didn't know the first thing about researching, so she let Frank lead.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

4. - Top - End - #874
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frank takes a seat, taking a few moments to try and decide how to approach things on the search, it wouldn't do to get bogged down in a sea of unrelated results... "All right, lets see what we can sniff out."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Int+computers (4d10)[4][4][1][6](15)
    ten again (4d10)[3][4][3][6](16)
    extra dice in case Jen can add anything via assist(4d10)[5][1][6][5](17)
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

5. - Top - End - #875
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frank frowns as somehow or another he ends up in some kind of horror fan fiction site with a hunter's lodge setting. He tries again to refocus.

Show
    WP roll (3d10)[10][2][9](21)

6. - Top - End - #876
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

(OOC: Frank is down to 5/6 WP... love the improv. That's two successes)

After about an hour of research on the internet, Frank is pretty sure he's tapped every source of information he could. He had managed to pick up bits and pieces about the Lodge through his work, though much still remained esoteric. It appears that the Lodge had purchased their mansion in the CWE in 1923, and so were likely at least around 100 years old. There were newspaper articles (maybe tabloids) from that time accusing them of being a satanic cult, though no police or other official investigation was ever performed. They had also apparently donated large amounts of money to the local public library of all things, and based on this and the mansion, were likely a well funded organization.

Lastly, it appeared that their leader, and the only member that Frank could find by name, was one Julius Levi. A picture from only a few years back depicted the man as a stout and hunched man, his thinning hair covered in a fedora, blue eyes rounded with wire-rim spectacles, and full lips by a trim grey beard. In the photo Julius had a stern expression on his face, and wore a dark grey pinstripe suit that looked like it would be better suited for the 1930s.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #877
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frank pushes back from the computer. "That might be all we get today. Least we know a couple of things, they've been around for at least a century, and they've had a fair amount of money all that time. That's promising as far as them being capable of helping us. Don't know about willing though. This doesn't seem like the kind of business that fosters quick trust."

He takes another look at the picture. "I think we might want to dress up for a first meeting at the least. This guy practically screams old fashioned formal."

"Might actually be worth asking the senior staff around here a bit. If they're donating to the library they might have some other connection to it."
    Last edited by Daishain; 2023-06-28 at 11:56 AM.

8. - Top - End - #878
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    Frank pushes back from the computer. "That might be all we get today. Least we know a couple of things, they've been around for at least a century, and they've had a fair amount of money all that time. That's promising as far as them being capable of helping us. Don't know about willing though. This doesn't seem like the kind of business that fosters quick trust."

He takes another look at the picture. "I think we might want to dress up for a first meeting at the least. This guy practically screams old fashioned formal."

"Might actually be worth asking the senior staff around here a bit. If they're donating to the library they might have some other connection to it."
    "Hmm, yeah, good idea," Jen said, "I'll have to buy something, I didn't bring anything nice with me."
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

9. - Top - End - #879
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Bear's gaze falls on the Help Desk, where a dumpy looking librarian with a wild nest of greying hair and denim overalls sits in front of a computer, knitting what appears to be a novelty cap in rainbow colors.

(OOC: Not sure if you are still discussing or want to move things on or what, as per Discord message, but in case you wanted to pursue this)
    Show

10. - Top - End - #880
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frank heads up to the older librarian, keeping his voice relatively low as he asks, "Greetings sir, I had a few questions about one of your major donors. Would you happen to be the person to answer them?"

11. - Top - End - #881
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The librarian looks genuinely surprised at Frank's approach, as if no one had bothered him at work for a number of days. An elated grin appears on the man's face, as he puts his knitting down to run a hand through his wild hair. When he speaks, Frank is hit with a hot rush of tuna breath. "One of our donors," he asks is a whisper, which somehow seems to intensify the odor, "well, I don't think it would be me, but I'm happy to help young man. What exactly do you want to know?"
    Show

12. - Top - End - #882
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frank gives a nod, "Julius Levi, or perhaps you would know the group called the Lodge, I believe they've made a fair amount of donations over the years. They seem to have a fair amount of history in this community, but hardly anyone knows much about them. We were hoping to learn a bit."

13. - Top - End - #883
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"Hmmmm," the librarian says in a drawn out whisper, "honestly, I can't say I've ever heard of them." He gives Frank a friendly unabashed grin. With a shrug he says, "I'll admit though, I don't know too much about donors, or library funds, or anything like that. I'm just a stacks monkey." The grin widens. The air around Frank is now just a cloud of tuna stench. "But I'd bet our manager knows. If you don't mind, I'll get him." Assuming Frank does not protest, the librarian will pull his massive body up out of his seat, and will stroll away.

A little under 10 minutes later, he returns with a tall and thin Asian man, maybe in his late thirties. The manager is dressed in a form fitting button-down collar shirt, tucked into a sharply creased pair of slacks, looking all too sharp compared to the librarian. Hands clasped behind his back, the manager reminds Frank of a matre d' at a fine dining restaurant. He introduces himself as Peter Cho, and asks how he can be of service to Frank. When Frank brings up The Lodge, he will reply sharply, "They are of little interest. A small social club of old men, who like to sit around and smoke cigars, nothing more." He will eye Frank suspiciously, clearly not doing a good job of masking that he knows more than he is telling.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #884
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frank gives a grin, "Ah, but such clubs always have excellent taste in cigars, and usually fine spirits as well. That alone interests me." He waits for the unnamed librarian to get out of earshot before continuing. "But I'm afraid we're past the point where that cover story will suffice I'm afraid. It seems you know at least a little of who they are. I was just hoping to get enough information to work out how to make a polite approach."

"Not to worry, we're not part of any investigative body, official or otherwise, just a couple of concerned citizens who have seen and done a little too much not to seek out a little wisdom from a few respected elders. We have a story of our own to share in exchange, one that I think may be welcome at the fireplace."

15. - Top - End - #885
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Peter Cho's face remains a cold mask, despite Frank's attempts at levity. But Frank's bluntness regarding "what is really going on", causes a sudden crack in his cold demeanor. "Cover story?" he asks, quickly returning the expression of disinterest to his face, "I don't know what you mean."

(OOC: I think I'm going to need some sort of roll here, depending on how you want to get the info out of the manager)
    Show

16. - Top - End - #886
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frank gives a knowing smile, "Of course you don't. Just as I'm sure your friends at the lodge won't want to hear about an old Osage legend come to life. Like I said, I'm just hoping for an introduction and a chance to share stories."

17. - Top - End - #887
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frank steals a glance at Jen as he waits for the response

Show
    Sorry, could've sworn I included the roll
    manip+persuade (3d10)[10][4][6](20)
    ten again (3d10)[10][5][9](24)

18. - Top - End - #888
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Peter Cho is unable to hide his piqued interest. An eyebrow raises for just a moment, his head tilting just so. Both hands ball into fists and relax as he studies Frank for a long silent moment. With a scowl, he turns to the librarian. A head taller, Cho literally looks down on the man and says sternly, "Would you leave us for a moment."

The librarian opens his mouth, eyes filled with curiosity. But thinking better of it, he stifles and turns to Frank to give the stranger a jovial shrug. "Sure," he says before turning or walking away.

Peter Cho watches as the librarian walk away. Once they are alone, the manager will bring both hands up to fix his collar and then smooth out the front of his pressed shirt. "Let's just say I have any idea what we are talking about," he says to Frank in a forced whisper, "the best I can probably do right now is pass on a message. If you have something they want to know more about, we can let you know."

(OOC: Two successes with three dice, nice)
    Show

19. - Top - End - #889
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"That would be much appreciated sir. Honestly we came here to learn a little about what was in the public domain, and had not expected to stumble across an actual contact."

Frank hands over a business card with his name and number on it, "I hope to hear from you soon."

20. - Top - End - #890
    Titan in the Playground

"That would be much appreciated sir. Honestly we came here to learn a little about what was in the public domain, and had not expected to stumble across an actual contact."

Frank hands over a business card with his name and number on it, "I hope to hear from you soon."
    Jen nods her agreement. Frank was doing well and she didn't want to open her mouth and screw it up.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2023-07-20 at 03:34 AM.
    TC for short

21. - Top - End - #891
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The man seems uninterested in Frank's short exposition. When he is offered the business card, he takes it and hastily stows it in his pocket as if the card was scalding hot. Peter makes no attempt to provide his contact. Instead, he locks both hands behind his back and with a curt nod at Frank's remark of hoping to be contacted soon, says, "We shall see."

Unless he is interrupted, Peter will turn and walk back into the depths of the library, leaving Frank and Jen alone.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #892
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frank nods respectfully as the enigmatic man leaves.

Once he's gone he grins at Jen, "That went well I think. No guarantees we'll hear from them, but I'm pretty sure we'll soon have their interest at least."

23. - Top - End - #893
    Titan in the Playground

Frank nods respectfully as the enigmatic man leaves.

Once he's gone he grins at Jen, "That went well I think. No guarantees we'll hear from them, but I'm pretty sure we'll soon have their interest at least."
    "Seems that way. Is there anything else we should be doing while we're here? Did you want to have a look around town a bit?" she asked.
    TC for short

24. - Top - End - #894
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frank scratches his chin a bit, "Not sure, there's probably more we could learn from here, but I don't know what to look for at the moment. Could have a look at the lodge, but we probably don't want to seem like stalkers if spotted. Main other thing I can think of is maybe some new clothing, its been a while since I've had a formal meeting of any sort, but that's something for me to handle on my own time. Can you think of anything?"

25. - Top - End - #895
    Titan in the Playground

Frank scratches his chin a bit, "Not sure, there's probably more we could learn from here, but I don't know what to look for at the moment. Could have a look at the lodge, but we probably don't want to seem like stalkers if spotted. Main other thing I can think of is maybe some new clothing, its been a while since I've had a formal meeting of any sort, but that's something for me to handle on my own time. Can you think of anything?"
    "Maybe check out if there are any monuments or anything, local history, that kind of thing?" Jen replied.
    TC for short

26. - Top - End - #896
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Worth a shot, and beats just waiting around. Shall we?" Frank waves back towards the main part of the library.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Titan in the Playground

"Worth a shot, and beats just waiting around. Shall we?" Frank waves back towards the main part of the library.
    Jen nods and follows along.
    TC for short

28. - Top - End - #898
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

To search for any recent supernatural incursions over the internet, please give me a resolve +academics/computer roll.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #899
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frank settles in in front of a computer, seeking out hints at weird events.

Show
    resolve+computers (5d10)[1][5][9][8][6](29)
    ten again (5d10)[7][1][8][9][9](34)

30. - Top - End - #900
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Show
    2 successes counted.

Frank and Jen sit back down at the computer station of the library, and spend about an hour working diligently. Jen had never been one for computers, and for her the time drags on as she quickly loses interest or becomes easily frustrated by a lack of success.

Though nothing overtly supernatural comes up, while trying to back-door the search by looking up neighborhood concerns, Frank comes upon a discussion on a neighborhood watch forum about the growing popularity of a self help, biohacking, NFT guru and website, that was reportedly becoming popular in West County (where all the wealthy new and old money live... including Handsome Neil). Calling itself The Connection, it was reportedly an “exclusive” social media platform that invites individuals to invest and join as a means for self improvement and financial development.

However, several locals on the forum detailed concern over how strange some of their neighbors who had gotten hooked on The Connection were acting. There were posts discussing how new initiates would lock themselves in their house all day, lose track of time, and just sort of disconnect from their life and day-to-day responsibilities. There was off handed rumors that maybe The Connection was some sort of cult. But what niggled in the back of Frank's mind was how this had been the behavior recently of his ex-wife Clarissa, and of course of Neil as well.
    Show