New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Lost Lands: Grimmsgate OOC

LOST LANDS – GRIMMSGATE

Deep in the wooded wilderness, the village of Grimmsgate is an outpost town on a seldom-traveled trail, right at the edge of nowhere. The village’s half-ruined temple of Law, dilapidated inn, drunken blacksmith, exiled trader and a few fur-trappers are enough to keep the bloody-minded denizens of the dark forest at bay, but nobody really expects the village to still be there in another ten years. The woods have become too dangerous for the trappers who once caught animals for fur, and merchants no longer travel the poorly- maintained road.

What great evil and what fabulous treasures are to be found in these lands? A brave band of adventurers might make their fortunes here. Or perhaps they might never return . . .

Spoiler: The Big 16
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

Pathfinder 1E

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

"Grimmsgate", a stand-alone adventure in the "Lost Lands" campaign setting by Frog God Games. The intention is to eventually segue into the “Cults of the Sundered Kingdom” series of adventures but it’s all a bit sandboxy, so who knows where we’ll end up going.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

6 (I have 2-3 Players, looking for 3-4 more)

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

Here - GitP forums.

Posting rate will be relatively gentle, say 1 or 2 posts a week. Sometimes I will have more time to post, frequently I will be occupied for a week or two with life.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

Level 1 (0 xp). Slow experience track.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

Average per class as per Core Rules.

Local technology in starting region is classed as "Medieval" so most items except firearms are available.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

All official Paizo classes are allowed, except for Core Summoner.
    All Unchained classes are allowed.

No homebrew.

No Spheres, no Path of War. Other third party content by request (must be on PFSRD).

Of special note is a new Cavalier Order presented on Borderlands Provinces. Message me if you want mechanics:
    Spoiler: The Order of the Swan
    Show
    Cavaliers who join the Order of the Swan dedicate themselves to protecting civilized folk from the chaos and depredations presented by the barbarous horrors of the wild. In many ways the Order of the Swan is similar to the Order of the Shield (see Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Advanced Player’s Guide), but whereas the Order of the Shield protects the common folk of the land from marauders and hungry monsters, the Order of the Swan from its initial founding among the dark forests of Yolbiac Vale, extends its shield of protection to all of civilization against the predators of the wild and horrors of the night that would feast upon it. Rather than serve as guardians among the folk they protect, cavaliers of the order routinely journey into the depths of the wild to find the creatures they hunt in their lairs to confront and slay them there.

Many of the knights are paladins, although the majority are cavaliers. A few rangers are also attached to the Order, but those not of the knightly class are not full members. The Order of the Swan is not attached to any particular religious denomination with paladins representing several different holy faiths, although they are universally of lawful good alignment.

Edicts: The cavalier must stand as shield against the beasts (human and creature alike) that would bring death and ruin to civilized folk. He must patrol the edges of the wild and actively seek out these threats in their own lairs before they can threaten civilized lands. He must avoid engaging in conflict with civilized authorities whenever possible except to preserve the life of the innocent, even if those authorities are tyrannical or incompetent — even the worst of those in positions in power are better than the lawless violence of the wilds. Cavaliers of the Order of the Swan must be of lawful good alignment.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

Core races preferred https://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/core-races.

Non-core races from SRD and new races from World of the Lost Lands Pathfinder Addendum are allowed as a minority in the party.

No homebrew. Third party content by request (must be on PFSRD).

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

3d6 (in order, no altering, reroll if net bonuses are 0 or less), or
    PF 15 point buy.
    Roll below in this thread & then choose which result you prefer.

Max hp for 1st level. Half max + 0.5 (rounded up) thereafter.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Standard alignment rules, but you have to be broadly capable of working together. Non-evil preferred.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

Standard rules. You may use variant multi-classing for your character (VMC) if you wish.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

All die rolls on the GitPs forums - either in the OOC forum or in spoilers in the IC forum please. I will roll initiative, saves and certain skill checks for you. Basically anything reactive I will roll in order to speed play up. You can do all of the proactive rolls for your character.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

2 traits allowed
    1 drawback (+ 3rd trait) allowed
    I reserve the right to veto any wackiness.

Background skills are in effect.

Other optional rules considered on request.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

A basic background is required. Nothing too extensive.

The game will start in the city of Troye, the capital city of the Duchy of the Rampart on the eastern border of the stagnating Kingdom of Foere.

A map of the area can be found here (starting city of Troye is to the NW)

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

Hack & slash, RP, heroism, bravado!

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

The following sources are approved:

Other sources by request.

A couple of Player's Guide are available for purchase here and here but are not required reading. These Guides contain only fluff no “crunch”. I'll provide info on anything relevant.

The Duchy of the Rampart is a stable and well-guarded realm, with a strong sense of chivalry and feudal obligations. However, a certain decay is setting in, and strange things lurk in the shadows. The creeping advance of dark and dangerous matters is subtle and isolated here, but very much present. The people of the duchy know in the backs of their minds that the Rampart is declining, but they do not understand why, or how to counter the process.

The high granite walls of Troye are resplendent with banners, and lines of colorful shields are affixed to the battlements, representing the various noble houses of the Duchy of the Rampart. Great towers stand at intervals above the walls, some crowned with trebuchets and ballistae, others with high, pointed roofs. Over it all rises the vast citadel of the Duke, greatest and most formidable structure in a city designed for war.

Troye is the capital city of the Duchy of the Rampart, founded in the Hyperborean era. The city is a major destination city for caravans, whose merchants sell their cargos here to buy goods from faraway places for the return journey. Merchants planning on making the whole trek from the western Kingdom of Foere into the independent eastern provinces and back (most likely to Manas, but sometimes to Endhome) stop here to enjoy one last taste of city comforts before heading off into the wild.

This great metropolis at the far reaches of the Kingdoms of Foere offers a vast array of interesting sights, sounds, cultures, clothes, music, merriment, purchases, people, and pickpockets. It is wise to keep one hand on the belt pouch when walking through crowds in Troye. Tourist attractions include the University of Subtleties, the Great Stone Rabbit in Lapin Square, the smoke-snorting iron bull atop the temple of Mithras, the great Marchantal market, the dried remains of the six tall thieves (at the Citadel’s Gate), and the Court of Thespians.

In any of the city’s hundred small markets, mostly temporary affairs blocking crossroads, one can find herb-crusted breads, baskets of the dark purple, dream-inducing apples grown in the Yolbiac Vale, puppets, trained cats, dwarf-crafted trinkets, colorful surcoats, stolen items available for quick sale, clay idols painted with symbols, and all manner of merchandise culled from traveling merchants of the world.

Shells are a particularly popular item of jewelry, a curiosity in a city so far from the sea, and are often seen adorning wealthy merchants and nobles when they ride through the city’s narrow streets.

Spoiler: The hooks
    Show
    You have decided to travel into the independent Borderland Provinces to the village of Grimmsgate, ~400 miles distant (~a month or so by horse), seeking adventure.

1. The characters have been charged by the priests of Thyr to discover what has become of an old Elder Temple near Grimmsgate.
    2. The characters are hired by a nearby baron to see if a small group of adventurers can do a better job of discovering and rooting out the evil in the area than a (already failed) military approach using knights and men-at-arms.
    3. A relative or friend has been deeded one of the abandoned houses in Grimmsgate, and the PC is traveling to the village to check it out. The contact might have won the house in a card game, inherited it, or bought it cheaply from someone who left the village due to the growing sense of hopelessness and defeat there.
    4. Other. If you have another preferred motivation it should work as long as it involves you "seeking adventure". Ask if you're not sure.

Spoiler: Further character creation info
    Show

Spoiler: Example names
    Show
    The Borderlands Provinces sourcebook contains tables to generate random names in keeping with the theme. I'd call it fantasy faux-French for the Kingdom of Foere and most Provinces that used to be part of the Kingdom, and fantasy faux-British for other Provinces. If you're stuck for choice feel free to use the following for inspiration in the local area:
    Spoiler: Male names
    Show
    Pierlou Fintz
    Cleomarc Redmont
    Martin Meratz
    Suarvier Vidal
    Cluvien Surlenetz
    Jacques Tarsentier
    Guilcamon Perroket
    Raielh Bonfilh
    Toussaint Talacar
    Juliac Carnelot

Spoiler: Females names
    Show
    Peyrovanne Fintz
    Clespia Redmont
    Marcabrine Meratz
    Seleia Vidal
    Daania Surlenetz
    Jenivere Tarsentier
    Guilcamet Perroket
    Polbassine Bonfilh
    Toussaintine Talacar
    Julienne Carnelot

Spoiler: Common religions
    Show
    Common religions of the City of Troye:
    • Sefagreth, God of Commerce, Trade, and Cities
    • Vanitthu, God of the Steadfast Guard
    • Archeillus, God of Rightful Rule; Protector of the Nobility
    • Mithras, God of War, Battles, and Soldiers
    • Vergrimm Earthsblood, Dwarven God of Miners
    • Mick O’Delving, God of Halflings
    • Thyr (declining), God of Law and Justice
    • Mitra (rising), God of Law, Justice, and the Sun
    • Darach-Albith, High God of the Elves
    • Jamboor, God of Knowledge, Magic, and Death
    • Muir, Goddess of Virtue and Paladins
    • Solanus (declining), Goddess of the Sun and Healing
    • Quell, God of the Sea

An extensive list of the religions of the setting can be found here. I think this is 5e content – I have PF domains etc available as needed, just ask.

Spoiler: Common languages
    Show
    Common languages of the City of Troye:
    • Common,
    • Gasquen (traditionalist court tongue of Old Foere),
    • Dwarven,
    • Halfling,
    • Elven,
    • Gnome,
    • Orc,
    • High Boros (archaic and all-but-dead language of ancient Hyperborea)

Party roster

Player Character Alignment Race Class
    Cephor Riaghan Meadowbrook NG Undine Sorcerer (Seaborn)
    DrK Elethielle LG Half-Elf Unchained Summoner (Wild Caller)/ VMC Druid
    DarkOne7141981 Philemon Cooper NG Human Ranger (Skirmisher/Guide)
    Farmerbink Artaith Forgeheart NG Hill Dwarf Warpriest (Shieldbearer) of Yngret Yellow Hair
    RCgothic Eponine Caron LG Human Paladin of Archeillus

NPCs speak in blue.

Spoiler: The Lost & Gone
    Show
    Player Character Alignment Race Class
    Mark_Elderfire Felix Millaud TN Human Unchained Rogue
    Ancient Macelan Roarke LG Human Inquisitor of Mitra
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2021-06-06 at 05:05 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Lost Lands: Grimmsgate (PF1)

Dramatis Personae

• Lucius Palejohn: Caravan Master. Hired the party as guards for the trip from Troye to Mirquinoc
    • Perault Vane, Gillaina Fenberry, Guraldo Silvercoin, Hugh Featherstock, Louis Ambrose: Merchants in the caravan of Lucius Palejohn
    • Vaeleus "The Veiled Mistress": An elven sorceress with an allergy to clothing and a pet snake. On a quest for ancient powerful relics.
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2021-03-05 at 04:02 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

placeholder 2

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

placeholder 3

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

So I'll see what dice god's offer...
    Str (3d6)[11]
    Dex (3d6)[15]
    Con (3d6)[10]
    Int (3d6)[8]
    Wis (3d6)[10]
    Cha (3d6)[11]

Edit: As I suspected a 15pb is attractive. I think I'll look at lady of the lake Fey related half-elf summoner if thats okay? More Fey enchantress than summoning beast. WIP is here
    Last edited by DrK; 2020-12-29 at 08:56 AM.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks for selecting me! Subscribed!

I don't generally do coloured speech as I usually post from a mobile and it's one more awkward [code] tag, but I'll choose something if that's the preference.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2021-01-08 at 10:07 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Glad to be here and playing with all you great people. Philemon Cooper will speak in brown.

@Ghostfoot, what do you need from us to finalize our PCs and get the IC thread started? I know I mentioned the possibility/hope that Phil would be a resident of Grimmsgate - do you want to coordinate this?

Thanks for selecting me!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Hey Folks. I'm looking forward to the world of Frog God Games

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Hello everyone! Very excited for this game :) I suppose I'll stick with Goldenrod, it's what my other characters are using.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Hey there, folks! Also, oh my! 7 players! You're ambitious, Ghostfoot! XD

Artaith Forgeheart will speak in plum, because I'll probably get it wrong otherwise. Looking forward to getting the metaphorical ball rolling!

Copypaste background info:
    Artaith Forgeheart

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Artaith was born under auspicious circumstances, the 4th child, 2nd daughter of a wealthy merchant. Her father always traveled a lot, so she quickly developed an understanding that the woman of the house was the foundation on which it stood. It has served her well so far.

She was... never a bright child. She struggled to learn even the simplest of crafts, and only barely learned her letters to any reasonable degree of ability. Books will never be easy for her, but she can manage- with time and effort. Even needlework, mending, cooking, and generally tending the house proved to be challenging tasks for the young woman, to her constant shame.

However, she was always capable when it came to simple tasks requiring more muscle than brains. She was always quick to help brace the wagon while the carpenter drove the last nail, or load the cart with good when her father was starting another journey. She was eager and pleased to be helpful, so she began to search out opportunities in which she could excel. One such opportunity was serving as guard for her village.

It was more honorary than practical, as nighttime violence had long since dwindled to the occasional ruffian or pickpocket, and a handful of armed guards was always enough to quell any such foolishness, but Artaith took to the work and training with undisguised fervor. She quickly set herself apart, but never quite lost her spark for the domestic.

One evening, she was stationed (again, out of custom rather than need) to watch over a local religious envoy. She listened and watched, as guardsmen are supposed to, and heard tales of a goddess with blonde flowing hair who watches over the Dwarves with an iron resolve. Dedicated and capable, Yngret Yellow-Hair protects the weak and comforts the hurting. Before she knew it, Artaith had a calling.

With her parents blessing, a few days later she left home to join the envoy at her home parish. She took what she knew about discipline and dedication and applied it to her training within the church. Other than the sacred texts, over which she pores with great fervor but perpetually lacking ability, she found that the training was easy. She could fight, she could call down blessings of her Goddess, and above all, she could protect those who needed it. It would have been perfect, if she could have just kept her mouth shut a few more times than not.

Instead, she criticized her superiors for lacking the sternness to be that solid bedrock, that foundation on which all things could rely. She was quite sure of herself, and perhaps just foolish enough to press when she should have submitted. As a result, when the priests of Thyr sought adventurers, the matron was quick to volunteer "young" Artaith.

Only a few moons into her fourth decade, Artaith is confident that Yngret Yellow-Hair has called her to greater things. Though she knows she's essentially being sent into political exile, she knows just as well that she carries blessings and hope into the darkness. Through her faith, she plans to root out any evils that leave the populace trembling. Through her strength, she plans to vanquish it.

Spoiler: Appearance
    Show
    Artaith has almost blonde hair, with a smattering of strawberry in the mix. She's got faintly ruddy skin, giving her the air of someone perpetually embarrassed. Wide set, muscular shoulders give away her strength and she moves with the confidence of someone trained in combat.

She nearly always scowls at least a little, either out of distrust or confusion is anyone's guess.

Spoiler: Personality
    Show
    Artaith is actually a nice woman, though she's often tough to get to know. She's a bit of a firebrand, to her superiors everlasting dismay, but she's got a protective streak a mile wide, and considers it her divine calling to be motherly to everyone she can.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    Hey there, folks! Also, oh my! 7 players! You're ambitious, Ghostfoot! XD
    Hi all!

Yeah I figured that, with the best will in the world, someone always has to drop.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Lost Lands: Grimmsgate

Hey all!

I'll be posting my sheet and thumbnail/avatar update tomorrow sometime and finishing my backstory and other details over the weekend (Mon or Tue at latest in case something comes up). Despite having the more peculiar race of the bunch, I don't plan to snowflake this guy anymore beyond that. Doing some extra homework on fitting into the setting to try and soft land the concept. Thankfully, a lot of coastal areas to work with. :)
    Last edited by Cephor; 2021-01-09 at 10:36 AM.
    Riaghan Meadowbrook, Lost Lands – Grimmsgate | IC | OOC | Sheet
    Aqualith Media

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hello all, Macelon will be speaking in a Bloody Red

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Elderfire View Post
    Hello everyone! Very excited for this game :) I suppose I'll stick with Goldenrod, it's what my other characters are using.
    Hey Mark, while we're waiting is there anything we can do to align Felix and Eponine's backstories?

As both rich/noble kids of Troye there's a good chance they know each other. We could increase the connection by maybe bumping some of the relatives into the same age range to be close friends? Maybe if Felix's cousin were older? I've also had in mind that Eponine had multiple sisters, one of whom (I'm going to call here Cordelia, lol) could be 23.

If we do both then they'd be firmly in each other's social circles.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2021-01-09 at 06:36 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RCgothic View Post
    Hey Mark, while we're waiting is there anything we can do to align Felix and Eponine's backstories?

As both rich/noble kids of Troye there's a good chance they know each other. We could increase the connection by maybe bumping some of the relatives into the same age range to be close friends? Maybe if Felix's cousin were older? I've also had in mind that Eponine had multiple sisters, one of whom (I'm going to call here Cordelia, lol) could be 23.

If we do both then they'd be firmly in each other's social circles.
    Yeah I think we can definitely do that! I guess i don't have a problem making Antonio older (I was kinda making him a fake twin brother even if he's his cousin lol) But with a younger sister would work really well. Our family's would sure know each other lol mine would give out loans to people who more than likely tried purchasing from yours.
    Perhaps you even met him while he was out collecting debts and you were patrolling the city (as a paladin, even a noble one, I can only assume you patrol the city from time to time.)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Elderfire View Post
    Yeah I think we can definitely do that! I guess i don't have a problem making Antonio older (I was kinda making him a fake twin brother even if he's his cousin lol) But with a younger sister would work really well. Our family's would sure know each other lol mine would give out loans to people who more than likely tried purchasing from yours.
    Perhaps you even met him while he was out collecting debts and you were patrolling the city (as a paladin, even a noble one, I can only assume you patrol the city from time to time.)
    Passing acquaintance isn't that interesting RP-wise. I'm thinking they'd be at least friends, and they've known each other a while. Maybe Eponine dated Antonio for a bit as a teenager. And then her younger sister (not named Cordelia, I've got that as an entry in another game now and it would be confusing) Manon was in Felix's class at school. And it was a fairly exclusive school for noble and rich kids, so the class wasn't big. Now that they're older the age gap is less significant, and they actually friends in their own right, rather than just friends of friends.

I don't really see Eponine as the patrolling type though. Paladin isn't really a job description, it's more of a style for her.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I'm also quite interested in developing character ties with Artaith. Further, I'm not super tied to any particular location, and could easily amend "serve as guard for her village" for "Troye" and leave the rest of her background intact- so long as it makes sense for her to have lived there. She might have interacted with Felix a handful of times, on or off-duty.

Alternatively, if there's any working relationship between the followers of Archelius and any of the Dwarven dieties, it's plausible that Artaith and Eponine may have worked together, or at least know of each other through professional channels.

I know it's absolutely barebones connections, but maybe better than nothing? As the only Dwarf among Humans (mostly), Artaith is bound to stick out at least a little.

18. - Top - End - #18

NecromancerGuy

Well, assuming that Ghostfoot is alright with Phil being the guy who comes to town to get help, I don't think he will have connections to everyone, but it couldn't hurt for him to know someone. Who makes the most sense for him to know from a previous interaction and go to to help collect people to help Grimmsgate?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Just taking me a couple days to get my thoughts together for the first IC post. All sorted now I just gotta find time to get the post done.

I am vey happy to be running this game. Lost Lands and Frog God now definitely my favourite setting/ content shop. I hope that this is the first of many (well, second anyway, thanks Northlands Saga) set in this world. Classics such as Rappan Athuk, Slumbering Tsar need to be run by Ghostfoot!

I'll do a quick check of characters when I get a moment. Of initial note:

• DrK, Cephor, Ancient: can you check your point buy (15) please (I'm checking vs the Mythweavers calc)?
    • RCgothic: yes fine for Eponine's family to have assets 'out there'. Be aware that Grimmsgate is NOT in Duchy of the Rampart it is out in the independent Gaelon River Valley area of the Borderland Provinces.

Also a heads up that a lot of this FGG stuff is based on OSR thinking. So cast your mind back to Keep on the Borderlands etc, or whatever your anchor point is. This is not an AP with a bunch of similar-CR-level encounters. It is linked adventures and much more sandboxy to play in, and erratic in terms of difficulty. Bad stuff is out there and you can stumble across it.

Now, I have an idea of where I'd like this game to go. But I also have 100+ adventures set in the campaign world. So if you go off-piste that is fine with me. We will be driven by what drives you.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Corrected, sorry had done 20pb in error.

I agree with you, the FGG setting seems really well developed. More I read the more I like it.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostfoot View Post
    • RCgothic: yes fine for Eponine's family to have assets 'out there'. Be aware that Grimmsgate is NOT in Duchy of the Rampart it is out in the independent Gaelon River Valley area of the Borderland Provinces.
    I've added an "and nearby regions" that should cover that.

The point that we may not encounter level-appropriate situations is well-noted! We can run away if we have to!
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2021-01-11 at 06:20 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22

NecromancerGuy

Also a heads up that a lot of this FGG stuff is based on OSR thinking. So cast your mind back to Keep on the Borderlands etc, or whatever your anchor point is. This is not an AP with a bunch of similar-CR-level encounters. It is linked adventures and much more sandboxy to play in, and erratic in terms of difficulty. Bad stuff is out there and you can stumble across it.
    Noted. Do you want to introduce a mechanic to help us as players understand what our PCs might perceive about the relative threats of encounters? Something like a check of some kind to help identify the CR of a given enemy or encounter? Knowledge check DCs do this indirectly, but do you want to set this as a Perception check, or Sense Motive, or something like that?

If not, no biggie, but if that sounds like something you want to establish I know I will have Phil use it often to try and demonstrate his natural concerns and instincts for danger.

Thanks!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

• DrK, Cephor, Ancient: can you check your point buy (15) please (I'm checking vs the Mythweavers calc)?
    Oops! You are correct. I took another stab at it and I think we're correct now. Important to run those numbers before racial bonsues.

With that change, I'll have only one other bonus language. I'm all finned-ears to what I should take here to help fill any gaps. I'll be checking out your all's backstories one more time to find a possible connection as well. So you all know, my origin will start me in Southwestern Libynos, then effectively becoming a wanderer. So I'm happy to join up with one or two of you as a traveling companion if it works.

Riaghan will speak in teal.

Finally, how the heck does one change their forum avatar? The one to the left here is for a campaign I was in years ago. I've looked all over the settings and found nothing.
    Last edited by Cephor; 2021-01-11 at 10:26 AM.
    Riaghan Meadowbrook, Lost Lands – Grimmsgate | IC | OOC | Sheet
    Aqualith Media

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cephor View Post
    Finally, how the heck does one change their forum avatar? The one to the left here is for a campaign I was in years ago. I've looked all over the settings and found nothing.
    Forum actions > General Settings

Scroll down to miscellaneous settings.

Avatar, Order of the Stick Avatar, and Custom Avatar URL are the bottom three settings.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    Noted. Do you want to introduce a mechanic to help us as players understand what our PCs might perceive about the relative threats of encounters? Something like a check of some kind to help identify the CR of a given enemy or encounter? Knowledge check DCs do this indirectly, but do you want to set this as a Perception check, or Sense Motive, or something like that?
    I was going to ask this question as well. I, as a player, very much like the idea you've presented, but also recognize that more traditional role-playing games frankly do a piss poor job of it. With an understood underlying "things you encounter are of reasonable challenge difficulty," it's easy to get into a frame of mind to punch first and ask questions later.

I'm.... a bit concerned, actually, about how to confirm our characters ability to assess relative danger, indeed whether or not they are able to do so reliably, and then translate that into player knowledge. I'm not exactly going to say that I built Artaith expecting the other (which may already be player error), but I did (obviously) build her with the expectation that someone else was going to cover basically all the skills. If knowledge skills are the direction we go with this need, she's going to be sorely incapable. Alternatively, if some sort of intuitive sense is more at play (sense motive/perception?), she may at least develop some competence along the way.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

DrK, your character picture is getting a little bit squished on your sheet - it's a slightly wider format that mythweavers accepts natively. Here's a cropped and rescaled version that should work better:

I can't really think of a prior connection between Eponine and anyone other than Felix. I don't think they'd really move in the same circles without some prior reason for their meeting.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2021-01-11 at 04:58 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

DrK, your character picture is getting a little bit squished on your sheet - it's a slightly wider format that mythweavers accepts natively. Here's a cropped and rescaled version that should work better:

I can't really think of a prior connection between Eponine and anyone other than Felix. I don't think they'd really move in the same circles without some prior reason for their meeting.
    Oh thanks. Much appreciated.
    If you're looking for a link then if Eponine has been travelling "doing" good she may well have met Ethenielle who does much the same and float in and out of the lower echelons of court as a of druid type figure.

Also, did you at one point host old Vindicare assassin Avatar picture? I thibk you did once kindly and then after a coupke of years it stopped working. Probably time for me to get an avatar back!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    Oh thanks. Much appreciated.
    If you're looking for a link then if Eponine has been travelling "doing" good she may well have met Ethenielle who does much the same and float in and out of the lower echelons of court as a of druid type figure.

Also, did you at one point host old Vindicare assassin Avatar picture? I thibk you did once kindly and then after a coupke of years it stopped working. Probably time for me to get an avatar back!
    This quest is really the start of Eponine's do-gooding. Up until now she's very "silly caucasian rich kid likes to play with swords". But if Elethielle has made appearances at court she'd have definitely been interesting enough for Eponine to take an interest.

Took me a little bit of digging through OOC threads, but I found a link that still worked. I've downloaded it and re-uploaded to IMGBB. Take your pick!

https://i.ibb.co/fXydCrf/NIdPL.png

http://sk.uploads.im/t/NIdPL.png

Edit: And here's a version in 120x120 in case you prefer.

https://i.ibb.co/bHvPNXH/NIdPLsq.png
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2021-01-11 at 05:48 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks RC! You saved me pulling more hair out.

Below is finally my character folio, open for tweaking as needed. I'm still trying to decide on my bonus language, so open to suggestions there. Props to HeroForge's creator web app for my mini design.

Riaghan Meadowbrook

Description
    Spoiler
    Show
    Before you draped in mage's attire, a stalwart, confident male humanoid with pale blue skin. If the hood attached to his mantle is down, you will see fish-like fins in the place of ears. Usually held in one hand is a nicked and travelworn quarterstaff. Worn on his back is a pack strapped down and loaded with the accoutrements you would expect for such a journeyman.

Personality
    Spoiler
    Show
    Calm, collected, and not easily provoked, Riaghan prefers to think and process before taking definitive action if he can help it. This could lead to being too analytical and meticulous. But, he does try to lend a helping hand despite his shortcomings. To unwind and rest after a day's activity, he will often be found pouring over a personal tome on hydromancy or journaling about where his travels have taken him.

While he is proud of his upbringing and does not shy away from his ancestry, he's well aware that sometimes his presence could draw unwanted attention and does not see a problem shrouding his features with a hood; its comfort from the other elements in traveling has seen to that in actuality.

Background
    Spoiler
    Show
    Riaghan Meadowbrook was born into a small unmarked village of undine in Southern Libynos near what is known as the Delta. There he dwelt with his family as part of a mages guild comprising of various ancestries and species with a particular focus on water elemental magic, or hydromancy, as its members commonly refer to it. A lifetime of study of this magic drawing it's power from the Plane of Water has lead Riaghan to focus his abilities inherent in his own marid ancestry. He understands the restorative and destructive force that is water can never fully be understood in a single lifetime.

A desire for travel and researching the relationship to water in the world around him set his feet on the path he is on today. Now that he is of age, he has spent the last few years observing the landscapes and meeting the peoples of the world around him. Journeys are not without cost, and Riaghan's personal stores dried up with one gold left to spare upon his arrival to the city of Troye.

To make ends meet for the next part of his journey (wherever that takes him!), he's taken to checking out the job boards and keeping a finned-ear out for town criers requesting helps. Looks like one has just turned up, and with a party of other individuals no doubt.

Last edited by Cephor; 2021-01-25 at 06:52 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

This quest is really the start of Eponine's do-gooding. Up until now she's very "silly caucasian rich kid likes to play with swords". But if Elethielle has made appearances at court she'd have definitely been interesting enough for Eponine to take an interest.

Took me a little bit of digging through OOC threads, but I found a link that still worked. I've downloaded it and re-uploaded to IMGBB. Take your pick!

https://i.ibb.co/fXydCrf/NIdPL.png

http://sk.uploads.im/t/NIdPL.png

Edit: And here's a version in 120x120 in case you prefer.

https://i.ibb.co/bHvPNXH/NIdPLsq.png

Thank you. You're internet Fu is much stronger than mine!