New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: DrK's Age of Worms IC pt4

Landahl Snowstrider, Halfling scout

When the creature exploded, Lan froze for a few moments, waiting for the thing to appear somewhere else. However, as the silence deepened, the others began to slowly asemble.
    To the mage he snorted. "How could I forget it's name when I didn't know it in the first place? Anyway, everyone good? Good. Time to check that room ..."

Lan returned tot he space he had been checking out when the statue had become animated. He seemed to recall stacks of chests ...

OOC - Back to the searching ... Listen - (1d20+19)[34], Spot - (1d20+19)[25], Search - (1d20+20)[24]
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    HPs: 68/95 AC: 22 (28) Touch/Flatfooted: 17/16 (23/22) Move 30' Initiative +7
    F +16 R +21 W +13
    Skills: Listen/Spot +19 Search +20 Move Silently/Hide +22 Tumble +36 D Device +22
    Spells (4/6/6/4/2/2) 0: create water, guidance, mending, light
    1: detect fav enemies, gravity bow, embrace the wild, hunter's mercy, sniper’s shot, surefooted stride
    2: fell the greatest foes, <s>invisibility</s>, <s>invisibility</s>, <s>swift haste</s>, swift haste, exacting shot
    3: decoy image, find the gap, find the gap, foebane
    4: aspect of earth hunter, <s>deeper darkvision</s>
    5: summon nature’s ally V, summon nature’s ally V
    Javelins (+23, 1d4+2 / +24, 1d4+3 w/in 30', bane vs undead)
    Items: 1/1 Laughing Rogue; 2/2 Quicksilver Boots; 1/2 Horizon Walker; 0/3 Scout's headband; Winged Vest 4/5
    Effects: Heroes Feast (+1 attack, immune poison/fear); +10 Tumbling; deeper Darkvision (90’, 4 hours)
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

"Do you need more healing, Elkist?" I ask, helping my friend to her feet. "That was a brutal battle and you took more than a couple of hits for me. Cure Critical Wounds! Cure Serious Wounds!" I cast, converting a couple of spells into a wave of healing energies.

"Does anyone else need healing? Come on, let's see what else we can find down here. I hope there's nothing else as dangerous as that statue."

Spoiler
    Show

Delay Death -> Cure critical wounds (4d8+14)[33]
    Darkfire -> Cure serious wounds (3d8+14)[27]

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Zarina looks at herself, patting herself down and shakes her head. "I am well Mirriana. May the Lighting Lord bless me but the Lady ELkist and Talsien took the brunt of the attacks" She pats Elkist on the back watching with concern until Mirriana's healing begins to take effect. "A strange and savage creature, a divine spark I suspect, born of the deluded faith of the threefold worshippers. Even if..." she pauses and looks at the stairs where the Avolakia runes had been been, "I am not convinced the true heart of this power is the Ebon Triad. I wonder if something older or darker lies behind them,"

As Mirriana heals the others Lan explores and soon finds a great cache behind the curtain, an antechamber stacked high with 4 large ancient looking chests. Pulling free the chests they are not locked or trapped to Lan's eyes. An examination of heir arcane nature shows warding to preserve the ancient wood rather than to be hostile. Clearly the owner viewed the now dead Overgod to be guard enough.

The first chest when opened is simple enough. 20 white silken bags, each sack weight some 20lbs and containing 1000gp, the coins a myriad of patterns, sizes shapes and designs. Zarina and Elkist recognising coins spanning centuries of culture from all across the continent and many that are unrecognised.

The second chest is equally monetary. Another silver bag with 1000 shining platinum coins, these unusual and almost totally blank but feel old. The other 9 bags glitter as hundreds of assorted gems in a prismatic rainbow of colours fill the chest, a quick total from Lan suggesting that each of the 9 bags contains some 2000go worth of gems to a merchant.

The third chest is lined with silk and velvet with stout dividers with a collection of fine glass vials inside. Although the vials look delicate Zarina and Merrick realise that each has been made with glassteel and each vial is as tough as steel. The potions and alchemicals are of great use.

Spoiler: Chest 3
    Show

10 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds
    10 Potions of Non detection
    10 Potions of Undetectable Alignment
    5 Potions of Fly
    5 Potions of Haste
    10 Alchemical intensified frost flasks (3d6/1d6 splash)
    10 Alchemical intensified acidflasks (3d6/2d6/1d6 over 3 rounds+ 1d6 splash

The fourth chest is filled with most impressive of things! Things that Merrick, Mirriana and Zarina look at each other over as the value of the trove is huge. Also of interest is the leather bound black tome with the pages preserved and written in an elegant hand... Of the magical trinkets there is a gleaming silverr ring that seems prenaturally light to the touch (Ring of Evasion), a long blacked rod of iron that appears burnt (Rod of flam extinguinshing), a shard of thin metal a foot long that seems to vibrate near the swords of Aqaa carried by Elkist and Zarina (Wand Lightning bolt 23 charges, CL9), a second wand that looks like a thing metal whip with a loop on the end (Wand Haste 19 charges CL7th), an ancient belt of leather and metal that has a face like a dwarf (Belt of Dwarven Kind (but Con +4)) a smooth cloak that seems to stick and slip on your hands at the same time (Cloak arachnida) and in a separate case locked away is a gleaming orb of pure sunlight, a mace dedicated to Pelor that seems a minature sun on the iron rod (A dawnstar!)

The book is fascinating, the pages shifting and squirming as you try and read them but as you look carefully you realise the book is in fact a great listing of cult members of the Ebon Triad. Many names you recognise, and many of those are crossed out - Theldrik "diamond lake", Loris Raknian, "Faceless One - Diamond Lake"
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

4. - Top - End - #184
    Firbolg in the Playground

Merrick

"This book of known agents of the Conspiracy will be of great use to our patron in Magepoint. Allow me to prepare an Amanuensis tomorrow so that we can produce copies."
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

Elkist Talphrin

Elkist clasps forearms with Mirriana in a sign of comradeship as the powerful healing magic of the gods is channeled through her as divine vessel, restoring her punished body. Winking subtly to acknowledge the thanks she steps back and allows the more materially-minded to peruse the boons that have been withheld from the world by this evil.

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Elkist Talphrin
    Female LG Half-Drow Paladin 4/ Spirit Shaman 11, Level 15, Init 0, HP 96/105, DR 10/ admantine, Speed 30ft
    AC 22, Touch 10, Flat-footed 22, Fort 23, Ref 19, Will 23, Base Attack Bonus 12
    Ghost touch Lightning Sword +19/ +14/ +7 (+12 base, +4 str, +2 weapon, +1 morale (Heroes Feast)) (2d6+10 (+8 str, +2 weapon), 19-20 x2)
    Ghost touch +1 Full plate armour of Agility, Ghost touch +1 Animated heavy steel shield (+9 Armor, +3 Shield)
    Abilities Str 18, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 11, Wis 12, Cha 25
    Condition
    Permanent/ daily effects:

Pal: Aura of good
    Pal: Aura of courage (immune fear, allies +4 morale bonus vs fear)
    Pal: Divine health (immunity to disease)
    SS: Blessing of the spirits (protection from spirits: +2 defl AC, +2 resist Saves)
    SS: Ghost warrior (ghost touch weapons & armour)
    SS: Warding of the spirits (magic circle vs spirits:10ft radius +2 defl AC, +2 resist Saves)
    1/2E: Immunity to sleep
    1/2E: +2 save vs enchantment
    1/2E: low light vision
    Armour crystal: +3 competence save vs energy drain, death spells/ effects, inflict spells)
    Circlet: +6 enhancement to Cha
    Gauntlets: +2 enhancement to Str
    Armbands: +2 Str checks & skills, +2 damage on Power attack)
    Mirriana: Imbue with Spell Ability
    Energy Immunity/ fire (spell)
    Magic Tattoo/ spell resistance (Merrick) ???

Hour+ effects:

Heart of Air (spell): +10 enhance Jump
    Heart of Earth (spell): +8 resist bull rush, overrun, trip; +20 temp hp
    Heart of X (spell): light fortification (25% resist critical hits & sneak attacks)
    Mass Resist Energy/30 cold for 140 minutes. (Merrick)
    Mass Resist Energy/30 acid for 140 minutes. (Merrick)
    Protection from Energy/120hp electric (spell) for 110 minutes.
    Longstrider (wand): +10ft enhancement speed

Minute+ effects (not included in stats):

Protection devotion (Mirriana): +5 sacred to AC (1 mins)

Round+ effects:

Bite of the Weretiger (Enhance +12 Str, +4 Dex, +6 Con, +5 natural armour)
    Mass Shield of Faith [Mirriana] (+4 deflection AC)
    Heart of Earth/ Stoneskin: DR10/ admantine 110hp
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2022-01-29 at 06:34 AM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

"I agree, this list well come in extremely useful," I agree with Merrick, glad we're finally getting in a position to put an end to the Ebon Triad cult cells. It's not our main goal, but it's a major annoyance we can substantially damage with these revelations.

As I go through the treasure hoard I lament "I wish I'd seen these before casting all those cure spells," as I pocket a few vials. When it comes to the final treasure I'm nearly stunned. "It's a Dawnstar!" I gasp, caressing it's orb lightly with my mailed fingers. "A relic of Pelor! Extremely potent but far too fragile to risk using... The church will be extremely grateful when we return this to them!" I say.

"Well Lan, is this it or is there anything else down here?"

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Lan absently checked the items they gathered, nodding at two of them. "The cloak would be useful, but I need it combined with my current one. The belt would be helpful, too. Anyone else want those? " If the group splits the vials, he'll take whichever ones are allotted to him and then press on. When Mir asks about what next, he peered around, not seeing another exit immediately.

"Give me a minute ... I'll check around."

OOC - Looking for more portals ... or items. If necessary, he'll use the cloak to climb the walls to check anything interesting. Otherwise, ready to move on.
    Show
    F +16 R +21 W +13
    Skills: Listen/Spot +19 Search +20 Move Silently/Hide +22 Tumble +36 D Device +22
    1: detect fav enemies, gravity bow, embrace the wild, hunter's mercy, sniper’s shot, surefooted stride
    2: fell the greatest foes, <s>invisibility</s>, <s>invisibility</s>, <s>swift haste</s>, swift haste, exacting shot
    Items: 1/1 Laughing Rogue; 2/2 Quicksilver Boots; 1/2 Horizon Walker; 0/3 Scout's headband; Winged Vest 4/5
    Effects: Heroes Feast (+1 attack, immune poison/fear); +10 Tumbling; deeper Darkvision (90’, 4 hours)

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Zarina bows her head and reverentially strokes the dawnstar. ”A thing of beauty, a thing of great power as well. It is wondrous.” Zarina murmurs before looking at the others, “It’s imperative that we get this out of the city lest it fall to the Church of Hextor.”

She looks at the book and grins, ”In the right hands this would allow a devastating strike at the Cult. Maybe we should do that after we have defeated Kyuss..”

—-

Lan scampers around the walls like a strange creature affixed to the cold bricks but finds nothing else of note. He looks carefully but it’s clear that the great treasures unearthed here are the climax of the Cults power in the city.

Looking about the only thing to do is slowly clamber back up the accursed stairs past the wriggling Avokalia runes and then back up the slime coated pit to the strange hospice in the city. Reaching the hospice you are able to sneak past the crazy made old lady and return the bustling streets where the citizens pretend joy in the face of oppression and the occasional winged devil flies across the harsh skyline past the nearly completed Ziggurat and the great Palace. A couple spiral over you, glittering red eyes looking at the glowing suits of golden armour gleaming on Elkist and Zarina.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

After Lan reported a lack of any additional treasures, they left the pit and the house of dying behind. Once on the streets, Lan noticed the devils eyeing them from overhead. He whispered to the others, "I think you lot are making a scene. Cloaks and those potions might be needed to keep them wingers off your backs. So we're supposed to find the Lashona ... are we doing that next, or something else?"

OOC - Ready to press, but we may want to be a little more circumspect. Displayed iconography might not be the best solution. Thoughts?
    Show
    F +16 R +21 W +13
    Last edited by Starbin; 2022-02-08 at 03:18 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190

Merrick

Simply asking around in this fascist state will probably draw more attention than we would like. We should divest ourself of these new gains and see if information might come to us instead,” Merrick mused, half to himself.

The ziggurat was troubling. Not a few days ago they had found a similar structure and experience what, if misused, it could wrought.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not particularly entranced by any of the loot. Merrick will just take a share in the specie.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2022-02-08 at 05:29 PM.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Zarina

As they left Zarina paused at the top of the narrow spiral tube leading down. "I wish we could destroy it somehow, but in doing so we would cause to much commotion."" She pauses and glances at Elkist who she suspects would agree with her the most, "One day, when the city is not under the sway of Zeech we can come aback and bury this place so its vile writings cannot pollute the thoughts of others."

As they get outside and see's the winged devils (who function as Zeech's secret police in Ahlaster) she nods to Lan and Merrick. [B["Much as I would rather keep my protections and wards active I would agree."[/B] She pauses and dismisses the glowing luminous armour around her, her thin green dress under the light chain vest and greaves seeming dull even more so than normal. "I will be fine and we can avoid notice, I agree."

Looking at Lan, "Yes, it was the Lady Lashona we were tasked with meeting in this horrible place. Shall we return to the Abbot now we have dispacted two threats to the city, if not the region and speak with him and we can see if he can direct us towards the Lady Lashona?"
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Zarina "Brightblade"
    M LG Human Warblade/Ftr/Wiz/S.Sword/Abj.Champ/ JPM 1, Level 1/1/4/1/4/ 4 (15), Init 2,
    HP 106 / 125 (+30 )
    AC 19, Touch 12, Flat-footed 17, : +12 to AC/FFooted (G.Luminous)+8 shield = 32
    Fort 14, Ref 11, Will 8, : +6 to all
    Base Attack Bonus 13/7/2
    Fullblade +1 +16/11/6 (2d8+4, 19-20)
    MW Comp (+2) Longbow (20, 20 cold iron, 10 silver) +16/11/6 (1d8+2, X3)
    Sword Aqaa (thundering +2 sword) +17/12/7 (1d12+5(+1d6 vs undead) , 18-20
    3x Capsule: oleum, A Fire, L.Ember), Wand Chamber (Heroics): Least true death xtal (+1d6 vs undead) (+1d8 on Crit, + Hurricane Wind, + Synergy w/Lightning Sword) [

Lesser crystal of life keeping (+3 vs Death effects, Energy drain, Inflict) Gith craft Mithril Chain Shirt +1, Stacks with armour: Least crystal of Arrow Deflection (+2 AC vs ranged) Dastana +1 (+7 Armor, +2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 15, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 20, Wis 6, Cha 11
    Condition

Superior Resistance 24 hours (+6 to all saves)
    Heart Earth (+8 vs Trip/Bullrush, +24 Temp HPs, Light fortification) 12 hour

Xtal: +3 vs Death/Negative energy effects
    Rite: +2 Saves vs Death / Fear

Abilities
    Stance: Leading the Charge (+10 damage)
    Stance: Mystic Phoenix (+1 CL, +2 dodge AC, DR 2xSpell/Evil)
    [Ready] Moment Perfect Mind (Ctr)
    [Ready] Divine Surge (strike)
    [Ready] Searing strike (boost)

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Lan nodded, the logic making sense to him, but he looked to Mir as their de facto leader.

OOC - Heading back to the only 'friendly' spot makes sense to me ... I think folks should consider using those potions to mask alignment as well as covering up the symbols (as they can) to limit issues that could endanger our mission
    Show
    F +16 R +21 W +13

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Zarina looks to Lan dismissing the luminous armour and then throwing her cloaks hood up to hide her features and the holy symbol round her throat take sa potion of non detection and chokes down the cloying oily fluid. That done she looks to Lan "Well, I shall appear normal to them now, well, unless they contest our passing." Looking at Elkist and Mirriana she'll wait for them to take their potions of nondetection as well to dull their shining auras of "good" as well.

Heading back through the city streets Zarina now hooded and shrouded in abjurant magics she pats the hewards haversack where the stash of alchemicals had been stored. She had been impressed by the skills of their maker, although now slightly nervous of the creators power and clear association with an evil cult. As the party slouch the streets doing their best to emulate Lan's casual swagger blending into the busy streets there seems to be much commotion and rumours are flowing.... "The 2nd Captain passed out, magic cackling around him and a three headed shadow over his head...." The temple of Hextor quaked and the ground shook inside and 5 of the initiates passed out as if their powers had been stolen... All thos runes of the Ebon triad flashed and then melted off the walls, even the big one round the back Krupp's Inn.....They say that those who collapsed are adherents to the Triad. the gibbets will be busy for days". The rumours are busy, even if they grow quiet as Zeech's soldiers or winged guards pass close by its clear that your slaying of the Overgod in the depths has had a ripple of power in the city, the loss of divine abilities manifesting in the traitors that have now been apprehended....

Reaching the relative safety of the Temple of Kord you are once more welcomed by the smells of sweat, leather and dusty sand as High Priest Barnabus barks orders at his sweating clerics who are wrestling in the ring all slicked with oil and wearing little more than loin cloths. Barnabus looks up as you enter, his muscular chest glemaing from the oils as well as he puches the lion cape back and stares in near awe at Mirriana leading you into the temple courtyard.

His voice booms out, "By the Mighty One you've returned. And what a return" he bellows. "The whole city shuddered with the screams of a Gods passing, or at least the spark of something immortal. We had not know what it was save that its death scream was something awful, and a great evil had been extinguished. By your looks and by Kord's mighty buttocks I would wager 100 platinum crowns to a copper farthing it was you Lady Mirriana and your band of unlikley heroes." He shakes his head and goes to a knee, "I am proven wrong, you are mighty and welcome in this great house of Kord. tell me what has befallen the city?""

Even as he speaks there is a gentle ring from the gate and a messenger garbed in sheer white silks, the material so thin its seems almost transparent appears. She draws the eyes of all with her luminescent fragile beauty and long blonde hair as she offers Barnabus a curtsy and hands him an envelope of rich white paper wrapped with a single blue cord. Wordlessly Barnabus eyes her and opens the envelope before pointing to Mirriana and the rest of you. "It be them that you seek." he says loudly, his voice strangled in surprise. "You have attracted much notice Lady Mirriana, Magister Merrick, this is an invite from the Lady Lashona herself for an audience... You have disrupted the city, like a mighty boulder hurled into a pond the ripples spread."

14. - Top - End - #194

Merrick

"Wonderful," the Mad Anima muses. "If we eradicate one more evil competitor of his, we may be granted audience with Zeech himself next!"

The day has been long and suddenly the thought of a heated tub and a cold ale appealed...

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

At Merrick's words the massive muscled priest of Kord shakes his head. "Take those curses back! The lady Lashona is mysterious and enigmatic but she is a lady of grace and power. She advises Zeech, but she advised those who went before him and has been here for 2 generations of leaders. She keeps to herself and is a the most important of guests at any dinner. It is said that even Zeech cannot compel her and he does not take offence with a refusal from her"

The young lady blushes slightly at the priests words then looks to Mirriana, ELkist and Merrick amidst the party. Guessing at the relative decision makers in the party."My Lords and Ladies, what shall I tell my mistress? She would extend the invite for dinner this very evening. But there there is time for you to bathe and change into more suitable clothes." the last words are said with a glance at the weapons and armour that are bloodied, battered and splattered with blood, ichor and swamp.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn

Fancy dress party? Tal's ears perk up. It means having to walk on two legs again, but there's always such interesting new foods to eat.

And the messenger is . . . pretty, he acknowledges to himself. *Sniffing* her with his senses.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I mean, why not? We'll give him a mild crush on the courier and see what happens. I like how she dresses, at least. Detect Evil and Mindsight on her, because you want to know things like that about your potential dates.
    Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    history's worst MLP cosplay.
    Custom Class

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

As Tal telepathically ‘sniffs’ rye servant her can feel her mind isn’t the brightest (Int9) but that she is what she appears to be (a human) and does not radiate evil to his senses

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

"We would be honoured to attend upon your mistress this evening" I tell the messenger, suddenly self-conscious about my appearance. At a thought my hair restyles itself into something appropriate for a fancy event, but there's only so much a change of hairstyle can do. "And I do appreciate her giving us time to prepare," I add.

I'm definitely looking forward to a long shower and a chance to wear one of my more elegant outfits bought a surprisingly long time ago now back in the free city.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Lan frowned at the discussion, uncomfortable with how much of a 'splash' they had made on the town already ... and how many people seemed to know. The fact that this Lashona was already inviting them to a dinner party spoke volumes about her role as an information broker - but certainly it would make more sense to make an ally of her than an enemy. Of course, that didn't mean he trusted her good graces. But maybe they could find a common enemy to build a professional relationship with ...

He let Mirrana deal with the servant, knowing his own responses would only complicate things.

OOC - ready to move on ...
    Show
    F +16 R +21 W +13

20. - Top - End - #200

Merrick

Allowing Astaroth to take charge, Merrick begins to ponder how best to make an appearance.

"Of course, Lady Mirriana speaks for us all. Your mistress honours us indeed."

Saying no more, Merrick begins making mental notes:

1. Put ears to the ground and find out their hostesses likes and dislikes.
    2. Know who else knows of their presence?
    3. What is that Ziggurat's completion ETA?

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Several hours pass as within the Temple the heroes prepare for dinner with Lashona. Even though its a delicate evening Zarina still pauses to consider and dresses in a fine blue gown of soft silk (and only slightly travel stained) and slips on her mithral shirt underneath the silken dress. Leaving the bracers beyond within Kord's Temple along with her haversack and various accoutrements she looks nervous as she rejoins the others, oddly feminine with the circle still holder her hair nack but looking out of place without her armour, bracers and pair of two handed swords crisscrossing on her back. As she assembles with the the others she looks at Mirriana and the rest, "I very much hope that we do not get in trouble tonight. I feel at a loss with the Sword of Aqaa at my side."

--

Heading out of the Temple you find a silver painted carriage with a symbol of a silver manse amongst clouds on the side, a pair of well dressed footman staring blankly ahead. Even with a glance at them Mirriana and Elkist can see they are under some sort of sorcerous ensorcellment but both look well cared for an smart and nod as you assemble by the carriage door. "Good evening. The Lady Lashona looks forward to welcoming you at Mistwall Manor" and then says nothing further.

THe manor is one of the largest estates in Alhaster, something evident as you wheel through the city streets through he many festivals and outside entrainments brought in by the Prince to keep the city at peace but eventually after pushing through the crowds you reach the manor on the outskirts of the city at the edge of the ziggurat's long shadow in the evening light. Behind the high walls the manor is a large two winged affair with sweeping balconies and a tall central tower. The gardens a luxurious mixture of fountains and ornamental ponds and well cared for roses gardens grown into fantastical shapes, several gardeners moving about tending to the plants or feeding what appears to be ornamental fish in the ponds.

As the gravel crunches under the iron shod wheels you are met at the grand double doors by a tall guant half orc dressed in a elegant finery who looks at anyone carrying weapons with disdain. "I am Master Keldorn the lady's Major Domo" he speaks in a slow monotone voice. "Please be assured that the Lady means no harm, all weapons must be left within the hall." he adds he leads you into a grand entrance hall flanked by stairs sweeping up two more levels and beautiful artworks and crystal sculptures on the wall. A pair of blank faced servants approach to take any coats (or weapons) as Keldorn bids you follow him into the front parlour.

The walls of the spacious tastefully decorated study are filled with shelves of leather bound tomes, Zarina and Merrick eying them in wonder at some of the titles related to magecraft that they thought only existed in some of the finest mage guilds and the carpet is a crimson in colour and soft underfoot. A large desk against the far wall, its surface empty save for a stack of yellowed tattered papers with a semicricle of comfortable looking armchairs spread out in front it. Behind the desk is a stunning woman of unimpeachable beauty

The elven lady rises smoothly and gracefully wearing a gold trimmed gown of the very latest fashion cut to accentuate her near perfect figure. She looks ageless with sharp piercing eyes and a tiara of burnished gold holding back the white hair from her face. As you enter a soft smile touches her face and she waves a hand pulling a disc of force towards you upon which stand a selection of cuts of fine meat, fruits, cheese and a range of drinks. "Please be welcome at my manor. Better to meet here than at one of the Prince's dreadful parties where every course signifies a new humiliation heaped upon the guests to sate his egomania. Please have a drink and snack and then we can discuss things which I suspect have brought you here to Alhaster. " Eyeing the various symbols of Herononius and Mystara she smiles again, "I do not think you would come to this city otherwise."

Assuming you select some of the (very good!) refreshments she motions you to sit, smoothly sitting herself and waves at the half orc, "You may go Keldorn, I am safe with these brave people. They are the slayers of the Dragons of the Traitors Graveyards and the Champions of the Greyhawk Arena!" With an expressionless nod the orc leaves with a low bow.

She leans forward smoothly and pushes the fragments of tattered paper towards you all. "Please have a look and read at your pleasure. This is why you have sought me out, despite your other distractions in the city." As you look you can see the neat hand of a learned man and you realise with a shock that its fragments of Balakardes Journal, the archmage that you have been tracking for Manzorian and follows up more of what you learned in dread Kuluth Mar

Ars you rea she reclines supping wine, He was quite mad I think when he wrote that. Obsessed with the demigod Kyuss and worms of all things, tiresome. But please read through it and then we can discuss your questions. I know much of the mad mage..."
    Last edited by DrK; 2022-03-04 at 11:52 AM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

I smile as I regroup with the others, refreshed after bathing and changing, and quite pleased with the result. It's been too long since I've had an occasion to dress up and I'm now clad in a blue-green ballgown chased with gold trim and green gemstones and a relaxed posture that couldn't be further from my old seriousness.

"I'm not expecting any trouble," I reassure Zarina, "though I admit it's reassuring to know I can call my armour with a thought! If it comes to it I'm sure we'll make do."

I follow along with the others, allowing myself to be shepherded into the carriage. At the estate I marvel at the grounds and the manor with its tall tower! As a simple guard I never would have aspired even to entry of a place this grand, and yet now here I am in my own finery, with dreams rapidly expanding to match my talents. I nod to Keldorn as he leads us into the front parlour, showing an open palmed gesture to show that I have no weapons on me. They would be quite uncomfortable to conceal, at present.

As we enter the study I barely notice the finery as my eyes are drawn to the beautiful woman behind the desk. I feel myself flushing slightly, amid a slight tinge of guilt. I suppose this was the intended effect?

"We are glad to meet with you, Lady Lashonna," I say as I take my seat. From the disc of force I take a small glass of wine and some cheese crudites.

"Your ladyship is extremely well informed," I complement, noticing that she only mentioned one of our two achievements since arriving in the city. "We also destroyed an aspect of the Ebon Triad in a catacomb below the city. It's bizarre that we keep coming across them in our pursuit of Kyuss, and yet there seems to be no connection."

I shake off the thought as I reach for the paper pushed before us. My expression tightens as I read, for I don't relish the thought of confronting one such as Dragotha yet it seems as though that is where our task is taking us.

"I'm afraid reads terrifyingly sane," I lament. "We've been to Kuluth Mar, the site of Kyuss's ascension and seen visions of this event - Dragotha stealing the monolith that contained Kyuss's essence. I see no madness in this journal," I say with a shake of my head. "And there are worrying signs in this city. We know Zeech is connected to Raknian, who would have unleashed a tide of undeath on Greyhawk. We know Raknian fled here, where a new ziggurat is being built unlike anything else in this city but worryingly like the one in Kuluth Mar. The prophecy said the Age of Worms would be heralded by a fighter of the pit gifting a city to the dead. We thought we'd stopped that in Greyhawk, but now I wonder? I would keep an eye on Zeech, my lady."

I shake my head again, concerned.

"I hope you can help us, because our quest appears very dark. You said you know much of Balakarde. We know he was searching for Kyuss, and that he came to you because he didn't know how to proceed. Now in this journal he has a last avenue to pursue. Did you give him directions to Dragotha and this 'wormcrawl fissure'? How is it you came to know of these things?"

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Lashona

The elven woman had stopped and glanced up and down at Mirriana, a hint of a smile on her lips and a slightly predatory gleam in her eyes that only Elkist notices before she smiles and listens. At the question from Mirriana she smiles widely and leans back, a hand just brushing her hair and the pointed ears. "I assure you my dear I am older than I appear and am a student of history of sorts. Amongst other things. But also, I have spent the past few years focusing on the nature of Kyuss and his return since various portents have happened. The destruction of Kuluth Mar you have caused is only one such prohecy coming to pass.""

Taking a sip of wine "Maybe before I answer your questions I will speak of some history. As you know from your trip to the horrid Kuluth Mar the Age of Worms and Kyuss's resurrection were stopped some 1500 years ago, before even my time.." she jokes softly, "They were stopped by an ancient Druidic Order, Fey and some good aligned dragons, the druidic order being the one we will focus on. They were know as the Order of Storms. History records that the surviving followers of Kyuss eliminated them and that is partially true, however not entirely so. Some of them retreated to the stronghold on an island in the Nyr Dyv. One that is now surrounded by perpeptual storms and know as Tilagos. On this island they founded a great repository of knowledge made up of the order's history, memories and learnings. It has been sought for many years by all manner of wizards and scholars, as secrets are valuable." She pauses, piercing eyes meeting first Mirriana then Zarina's, "And we know secrets are valuable, some of the most valuable things that there are. As they defeated Kyuss they also stoles Dragotha's phylactery and that secret, a true prize, will be in that vault."

She walks gracefully across the room, dress swishing slightly and hips swaying before pulling a map from a shelf and unrolling a map of the Nyr Dyv. The vast freshwater sea that fills the central continent (and where you are currently perched on the Northen edge). "Of course there are complications, before they built this library the Order of the Storms begat a bargain with primal forces of the elements and sacrificed their lives to pull the centre of the island from the material plane. the island now is a bare hunk rock surrounded by ever ragin storms. An island that moves around the sea itself but stories abound that the druids left a way for those in need to find it and help protect it from any of Kyuss's undead fanatics. That island is where you must go next. Balkarde went to the Wormcrawl Fissure to seek Dragoth, I believe that was an error. Not just as it is hard to beard a dragon in his lair, but also as without the phylactery Dragotha can reform."

She shakes her head. "It seems now that the minions of Kyuss are more active, strange cults like the Ebon Triad you have rooted out rise and trouble begins. I would guess that Dragotha stirs now and plans to release Kyuss from his prison ushering in a new Age of Worms. But, the solution does seem easy. Kill Dragotha. What is a god, or a demi-god without his high priest. EVen the undead grow impatient and Dragotha has been waiting for 1500 years now. Having lost his phylactery means killing him now would be foolish, he would find it then as he regrows from it. It must be found. The wormcrawl fissure is well know, a sore the face of Flaeness and shrouded in danger. Long know as source of evil in its shoruded foggy canyons the Tabernacle that Dragotha calls his lair has long tempted adventurers, none of whom have returned."

She pauses then and drapes a hand over a crystalline bowl on her desk and then looking at Lan and Talsien with a wink at the former and a cool expression for the latter adds ""You are not the only people seeking this. Indeed many seek the dracolich's phylactery. One in fact that used to work for me until betrayal. A wretch named Heskin. A simpering dog who stole my k knowledge of these things and sold them to a far more dangerous man named Darl Quethos. Now, would you like to see this cur Heskin?" she offers.

OOC
    So something of an info dump
    Know (History)(Nature) can give some info on the Order of Storms
    Know (History) can help with the Battles and Dragotha
    Know (Religion)(Arcana) will help with some Dracolich / Dragotha knowledge
    Know (local) (Religion) can recognise Darl Quethos
    Sense motive on Lashona if you are suspcious of her
    A spellcraft DC 20 can ID the crystalline bowl as a scrying bowl
    Last edited by DrK; 2022-03-04 at 12:29 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Lan approached the evening as he always did - with caution and trepidation. He didn't trust anyone outside of the small group of friends he had made, Merrick's occasional oddness notwithstanding. But going into a situation where diplomacy and guile were the weapons required let him nervous and paranoid - moreso than normal. And when the halfling was nervous, he tended to be withdrawn at best, and rude at his worst. He joined the others dressed in his cleanest leathers, shades of black and grey that said little of fashion, and more of utility. He let his pack, bow and blades behind, but everything else remained. He drained one of the potions of non-detection to shroud any aura, but specifically to limit the ability to detect his magicks. He figured the bracers would count for little more than decorative armor. Besides, he was wearing his mithral shirt underneath his tunic. \\

Once at the house, he immediately began to shift from leg to let, his eyes scanning the building for hidden murder holes, or nearly invisible guards. He slid a hand across his forehead to push back his hair as he activated his headband to see the truth in whatever was before them. Presuming things were on the up and up, he would join in the snacking and drinking, although only one glass.

Upon meeting Lashona, he was taken aback by her ageless beauty - so cold and alien compared to that of Mirranna ... or Zarina. Embarrassed for a moment, he shuffled his feat and moved to keep most of the others between him and the elven woman. He just listened as they spoke, frowning at the amount of information Mirrana was sharing, but also knowing he shouldn't have any mistrust of this worman.

Get a grip, you foolish sneak-foot ... keep your ears open, but avoid direct eye contact. And stop hunching over ...

OOC - Keeping the bracers and stuff on, but leaving my visible weapons / gear behind (albeit tucked away in some nook he found). Using the True Seeing ability of the headband to check out the servants and the house. If we're still under the benefits of a Feast, he won't avoid eating :D

Nature - (1d20+10)[17]
    Arcana - (1d20+3)[17],
    Sense motive - (1d20+3)[8],
    Spot - (1d20+19)[25],
    Listen - (1d20+19)[39]

Show
    HPs: 95 AC: 22 Touch/Flatfooted: 17/16 Move 30' Initiative +7
    F +16 R +21 W +13
    2: fell the greatest foes, invisibility, invisibility, swift haste, swift haste, exacting shot
    4: aspect of earth hunter, deeper darkvision

25. - Top - End - #205

Merrick

Merrick eats and listens freely, content that Buer would eliminate any attempts to poison him. Most of the conversation washes over his fragmented and distracted mind, but definitely the name Dragotha piques his attention.

Always the name Dragotha. A dracolich would need a powerful reason to swear fealty to another, and to evade eternal tortures at the Dragon Queen's talons is as good as any.

The Vecnan was an unwanted variable - the sooner they found out what a devotee of the Whispered One was after, the better.

Do you suspect your own Kas is in league with these lich-lovers? If it means we are a step closer to destroying Kyuss and his lieutenants, then let’s begin.

Personally a reliquary of lost knowledge was too tempting to dismiss.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Lan is quiet, watching the women interact and gazes around, that is until he rubs the headband and stares around with the magical true seeing in effect. As he activates the headband and glances towards the elf…

Spoiler: Lan
    Show

The room swims as his vision doubles, in one view the beautiful and elegant graceful elven maiden, in the other a vast creature of ripping scales and muscles. Her form is enormous, blurring with the edges of the rooms and the walls. A creature of unapologetic majesty as her gargantuan silver scale frame dominates your vision. Long claws the size of Zarina’s fullblade top each hand, vast membranes like huge sails are folded in by her sides and her head is larger than a horse with savage gleaming purplish eyes and a mouth of full of razor sharp teeth
    She is in fact what appears to be a vast silver dragon!

Lashona looks at Lan and shakes her head as he stumbles from the ‘true view’ and whisper a ”Tsk Master Lan, has no one ever told you it’s rude to peer at a woman’s secret” but she says nothing else

Talsien in room, looks at her sweeping the room with his mindsight. The servants had seemed clouded in their minds but Lashona was not there, a void, a space. He could see and speak with her but to his mind sight she was shrouded
    Last edited by DrK; 2022-03-05 at 03:17 AM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Lan blinked for a moment, the magnitude of his vision breaking his normally stoic mien. He glanced from Lashona to the others, opening his mouth, then closing it. At Lashona's mild admonishment, he gave the woman a single head nod, crossing his arms as he listened to the others talk about things he was certainly no expert in. Looking closely, one might wonder if he were mangry or upset ... both his cheeks were slightly colored.

OOC - Lan will keep his silence for now, but is certainly surprised!
    Any other 'surprises' in the house so far?

Show
    HPs: 95 AC: 22 Touch/Flatfooted: 17/16 Move 30' Initiative +7
    F +16 R +21 W +13
    2: fell the greatest foes, invisibility, invisibility, swift haste, swift haste, exacting shot
    4: aspect of earth hunter, deeper darkvision
    Effects: Heroes Feast (+1 attack, immune poison/fear); +10 Tumbling; deeper Darkvision (90’, 2 hour)

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Lan staring around the room he is in aside from the shock with Lashona herself see's nothing else obviously amiss and nothing else in the drawing room where you are being entertained. As the learned members of the party study the journal Lashona pulls out a piece of hair from the desk drawer and smiles slightly. "A memento one of my servants liberated from Heskin when I suspected he was not true to me." THen she casts the hair into the large bowl and waves her hand over it as water fills the bowl (Create water) and murmurs a few words of Scrying

The image in the bowl shimmers and the faint tang of sea salt fills the room. A tumultuous scene grows around you accompanied by the sounds of a roaring tempest. You see a vast sea and a long two masted ship with panicked crew scampering around the decks, sails blow free and ropes flapping. The ship is awash with crashing waves and bubbling foam as gruff sailors, all garbed in black leathers with a variety of long blades battle with thrashing ropes and the sails being torn to canvas shreds. At the reaar a massive green skinned creature stands by the wheel roaring his rage into the sky.

Images beyond the short range of effect are hazy, the scene focused on the strained mask and the deathly pale balding man, lashed by the storm and bound to the mast by thick barbed chains that cut deeply into his (Heskin's) wrists, throat and ankles. Most of the scene is filled with the sailors, some orcish, some human swearing and cursing as the ship forges a pass through the maelstrom. At one point two lithe figures wrapped in sodden black silks drop to the deck, steaming rising from their firms and short demonic horns jutting from their foreheads before they move beyond view of the man chained to the mast by the barbed blackened chains.

A massive red skinned figure strides into view, his skin sizzling with steam, an immense flaming scimitar on his back. He looks at Heskin with feral brutal features before speaking in a deep baritone. "You're pet is taking on water here Quethos. He may not live to the island". As he finishes two more creatures appear. One is small and fragile looking, a birdlike kenku judging by the beak though wrapped in purple robes you can only see a repeating crossbow slung on her back. The other figure is tall and radiates power. His face is shrouded by a blue cowled cloak covered in intricate golden eye designs.

As he stands looking at Heskin you hear his threats. " Only a few more hours Heskin then if you have proven true we can kill you quickly, otherwise the twins will be your new torment and that will be a long time." Heskin, bleeding, bedraggled and clearly beyond hope shivers with fear sobbing. As the blue cowled figure watches he turns angrily stating at the scry sensor. "Uninvited guests. Who are you, allies of this pathetic cur?" His face is pale but commanding and twisted into a snarling feature of evil. It is also somehow familiar. The memory jolts as he pulls his left sleeve revealing a horrific dead black limb that seems to twist and writhe with a life if its own. You all recognise it from the Vision from the Spire. The Hand of Vecna!

As the hand is revealed Heskin starts screaming clearly knowing what's coming! The hand reaches out, Quethos speaking "We can't have your friends watching Heskin, I think your journey with us is at an end." The hand touches Heskin's forehead and an ugly black stain pours over his face, the muscles on his neck bulge and strain before with a horrifying scream he is killed. The image fades throwing you all back into the room.

As you land back in the room with a "thump" Lashona looks around in surprise, her eyes wide "Well that was unwelcome. The Hand! Did you see it, that is a serious risk, I had not realised he was so powerful and so favoured a servant. Did you see were they were. They have reached the Storms of Tilagos!? They are days ahead of us. Please you must beat them, if he can restore the phylactery to Dragonath then the Worm God's return is all but assured."

OOC

Know (Arcana) can give info on the hand
    Know (Planes) can ID the red skinned beast
    S.Motive to look at the reactions of the vision or Lashona

29. - Top - End - #209

Merrick

Wanton covetous lust washes over Merrcik. Such a power artifact in his possession could tip the balance against the Wyrm God.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Bluff (1d20+10)[12] Lan might judge me if he knows of my desire. I cannot stomach his disappointment and disapproving scowls.
    K: Planes (1d20+18)[26] What manner of beasts oppose us?

Arcana and Motive in OOC
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2022-03-12 at 02:20 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Zarina

Zarina had watched the scrying with worry and horror in her eyes. She glances at Mirriana and Elkist first. "The Hand of Venca, I had thought it was but a myth, its powers are evil and it carries a spark of Vencna within..." her words tail off as she considers, "The cult of the Ebon Triad are aspected with Vecna, the Faceless One was a servant of the cult I wonder..." Rummaging in the paperwork and the books they had found in the chambers she looks through it all and then holds it up to the table. "Look, Darl Quethos, he is listed as a high ranking member of the Ebon Triad Cult, a very high member as she tracks back some of the runes surrounding them, one of the highest."

She glances at the map on the table where Lashona had pointed out Tilagos the isle of Storms "Mirriana, I fear we must go there as soon as possible. If the power of the Hand was given to the cult of Kyuss and Dragotha, Kyuss's most powerful lieutenant is returned his phylactery I dread to think of the tide of evil that would arise. I agree with our gracious host. We must make all haste to Tilagos and try and slay this Darl Quethos and destroy Dragotha's soul."

At LAn's start (from his truessing) she rests a hand on the halfings shoulder, her ringed fingers on the right hand glittering with shining red ring of mystic fire lending a warmth to the grip of Lan's shoulder. "Be at ease Lan, Mirriana and Elkist will protect us and your trusty javelins I'm sure can slay anything that tries to hurt us." She says, Lan realising that she misunderstood his jumping and thought it to be a response to the scrying vision and not what he has seen of their hostess....
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Zarina "Brightblade"
    M LG Human Warblade/Ftr/Wiz/S.Sword/Abj.Champ/ JPM 1, Level 1/1/4/1/4/ 4 (15), Init 2,
    HP 106 / 125 (+30 )
    AC 19, Touch 12, Flat-footed 17, : +12 to AC/FFooted (G.Luminous)+8 shield = 32
    Fort 14, Ref 11, Will 8, : +6 to all
    Base Attack Bonus 13/7/2
    Fullblade +1 +16/11/6 (2d8+4, 19-20)
    MW Comp (+2) Longbow (20, 20 cold iron, 10 silver) +16/11/6 (1d8+2, X3)
    Sword Aqaa (thundering +2 sword) +17/12/7 (1d12+5(+1d6 vs undead) , 18-20
    3x Capsule: oleum, A Fire, L.Ember), Wand Chamber (Heroics): Least true death xtal (+1d6 vs undead) (+1d8 on Crit, + Hurricane Wind, + Synergy w/Lightning Sword) [

Lesser crystal of life keeping (+3 vs Death effects, Energy drain, Inflict) Gith craft Mithril Chain Shirt +1, Stacks with armour: Least crystal of Arrow Deflection (+2 AC vs ranged) Dastana +1 (+7 Armor, +2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 15, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 20, Wis 6, Cha 11
    Condition

Superior Resistance 24 hours (+6 to all saves)
    Heart Earth (+8 vs Trip/Bullrush, +24 Temp HPs, Light fortification) 12 hour

Xtal: +3 vs Death/Negative energy effects
    Rite: +2 Saves vs Death / Fear

Abilities
    Stance: Leading the Charge (+10 damage)
    Stance: Mystic Phoenix (+1 CL, +2 dodge AC, DR 2xSpell/Evil)
    [Ready] Moment Perfect Mind (Ctr)
    [Ready] Divine Surge (strike)
    [Ready] Searing strike (boost)