New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Ruins of adventure (5e) IC

Zolonsho smiles
    I didn't get too much of a chance to scout the place. A dwarf and a couple of orcs attacked me almost as soon as I was there. Well I beat them up and found the map on them. I think the greyed out sections are places where you can be under a roof.

The group continues towards the southwest.

When you enter the Kuto's well district you quickly find out that the map's more descriptive than exact. The closest to an actual scale that the map has would be 1 square 30' but the doors and other fixtures obviously don't take this much space.
    Spoiler: Descriptive architecture
    Show
    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScBPve8QtpCp3mdTUi5Jthd38q3eUE4 PfgKw&usqp=CAU

The open space in the southeast section of Kuto's well looks like an area that once was a building. There's still some intact walls at the very southeast-most corner. No roof though.

You hear some noise of people both from the west and the north.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

Yolmar draws his greatsword calmly and walks forward into the well. His hide and fur clothing probably making him seem like a vagabond. Looks around for any signs of orc presence. Looking back towards the group he walks northward I’ll be back shortly.

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    He is going to the northern part to look for orcs and try to convince them to evacuate the city. Probably won’t work but he is going to try.

He also casts guidance on himself just in case.
    Spoiler: Avatar’s picture
    Show

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

While Yolmar walks up north he sees orc tribal wall scratching everywhere. A lot of the older ones have been repeatedly scratched over.

Yolmar knows the orcish tribes consist of several subraces. Orogs are the most common but bugbears are quite common too. There's also the posh'uns who are thought dishonorable and sneaky by most other orcs. There's squiggaroos who're considered problematic in how crazy they are. Also there's the pariah tribe who's pariah state is mostly just a matter of ancient history. They are very good at working metal and more clever than the average orc. Finally there's plenty of orcs with demonic bloodlines. The orcs don't call them tieflings or cambions though. The name they use is tanarukk or tanarruk.

As usual, most of the graffitti Yolmar sees, seems to suggest orog dominance. Besides the scratches on the walls, Yolmar has no trouble hearing a bunch of orcs in the very first house north of the larger empty space.

When Yolmar comes nearer to the building an orc pokes their head out of the doorway. He takes a look and then yells in orcish to others inside.
    Hey, it's that human with the dyes! Anyone want more red in their clothes?

Another orc comes to the doorway. She's carrying a maul.
    I heard the dye guy was a member of the Bayou warriors. Are you with them ones that attacked the slums?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Sarto
    Catfolk Rogue 3
    Rage: 1/1LR
    AC: 18 (Adv) | HP: 24/24 | HD: 3/3d8
    PP: 12 PInv: 12 PIns: 12
    Conditions: Reckless

Sarto lets Yolmar get ahead and sneaks in behind him, keeping to the shadows and trying to blend in when he can't find a good place to hide. He keeps about 20' behind Yolmar so he can help if he needs to.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Stealth (1d20+7)[13]

Perception (1d20+2)[10]

Spoiler: Notes
    Show
    Phaladena
    cleared a block of the old city
    undead around Sunnyside Graveyard - flying heads, skeleton hands, shadow rats
    clear Lynchbury Fort
    Kuto's well in old city, explore with ratfolk called Zolonsho

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

Looking at the group of orcs speaks I was part of the attack on the slums yes. I’ve come to warn you that the city is planning on clearing out the water district today. I urge you to leave or not fight back. I don’t want any orckin killed by these people anymore. If you want to have a little fight before you go we can band up on the dwarves and have a little fun. But afterwards I think you guys should head up north and rejoin the tribes there. These people aren’t to friendly with greenskins anymore. But I’m trying to change that. Yolmar sighs helplessly as he brings out some red dye out of his pouch calmly as he sheaths his sword.

Walking forward to them calmly as he offers to start dyeing their clothes if they want to go free of charge.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

After seeing Yolmar hastily run off followed by Sarto. Oogway knowing that these aren't the most pleasant source of orcs and they are dangerous. He decides to walk northward. Using his quarter staff as a walking stick. He slowly catching up to Sarto. Not quite up to Yolmar yet.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Oogway is going to be at Sarto's distance. Maybe slightly behind just by walking not all to fast.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Yolmar sees more than a dozen orcs in the building. The very first one that was talking says
    Really, you mean that? Hey guys, he came to give us a warning about a raid.
    Ooh, too early for that.
    Told ya! Should've drank less at the Pit.
    So everyone, what do you want to do? Are we gonna run away? Are we gonna hide?
    No! No!
    NO NO NO!
    I say we lay an ambush!
    Let's let them fight the dwarves first and then lay an ambush!
    Yaay. Ambush!
    Yeehaw! Thank you Dyeman. You come and give good information. We go now to look for a better spot.

The orcs start preparing to leave the building.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Apex watches Yolmar depart and then Sarto and Oogway shortly thereafter. He grasps the crystal around his neck with one hand and begins to gesticulate with the other, all the while quietly chanting to himself. Those watching closely can see a momentary disturbance in the air surrounding his body. Once he has finished he looks at Lefty.

Keep an eye on Yolmar please, but stay out of sight.

Lefty flies off to monitor Yolmar, then Apex follows slowly, remaining back an additional 20 feet from Oogway.

Show

Apex cast mage armor
    Apex stealth - [roll0] - 6
    Apex perception - [roll1] - 7

Lefty stealth - [roll2] - 19
    Lefty has keen senses:
    Lefty perception roll 1- [roll3] - 14
    Lefty perception roll 2- [roll4] - 21

^^These rolls ended up being made on OOC thread.^^
    Last edited by DonchasWatrfals; 2021-01-08 at 04:20 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Yolmar rushes to the door drawing his greatsword raising it in front of himself blocking the door preventing them from escaping. HALT! he shouted.

I don’t want to see you all die. Even by myself I can cut your numbers in half! There are to many for you to handle even after them killing the dwarves.

Even if you manage to kill them off there will barely be any of you left. Go up north and join a war band. Get stronger. Don’t lose your lives over something pointless.
    Yolmar finishes in his eyes have both sadness and slight hope that they will listen. But if they still choose to through there lives away he will grant them a warriors death.

Show
    He activated rage due to his frustration in them through ing away their lives.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Oogway calmly walks towards Yolmar seeing the situation growing dangerous. Poking him with his claw he makes a warding bond. Using the rest of his movement he walks away. Casting a shield of faith on Yolmar. Granting him a slight shimmer. The morning sun glowing brightly on his figure in the door.

Show

Movement 20ft to Yolmar.
    Action Casted Warding Bond.
    Used the last 10ft movement to back away from the door.
    Bonus action to cast Shield of Faith

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

The orcs watch Yolmar. One of them laughs
    Dyeman, you such nice funny man. We not stupid. If they too many, then we slip away. Is called tactics. Pick fight only when likely to win.
    Most of the orcs keep picking their stuff up, putting their belts in better order, packing up. You don't get the feel that they're going to rush you within the minute. While they're not doing what you want them to do, they're kind of liking you.

One of the orcs starts asking Yolmar
    Mr Dyeman, would you like to come with us? If too big enemy, we go north and find more allies. Or weaker enemy. You say good thing. You come with us, make red clothes, get to good fights.

Another one says
    Do you serve Nurgal? You crazy enough, maybe Nurgal touch you?

Third one goes
    Ooh. Dyeman be raging. I know that look. My mother be raging crazy too.

Show
    Do you want to attack these guys, because the rage lasts 4 more rounds.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

Yolmar hearing what there saying calms down a bit. Canceling his rage. You guys were riling yourselves up. I didn’t want to see you charge forward and die. Sorry for misunderstanding. He sheaths his greatsword. You guys should head northwards. I can stay and cover up your tracks for a bit hear. Head north grow get more allies. I’ll do my best here. If I leave now many more orcs may die. Yolmar says with a trace of sorrow in his eyes.

If you want to stay and fight the dwarves with us maybe the city will change their outlook on orcs a bit. But it’s dangerous. What would you like to do? We are not strong enough to confront this city yet. But we can still live. Yolmar finishes while waiting for there answer.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

The orcs, having packed up start leaving the building.
    We just came to have fun at the Pit. Dwarves were there too, humans as well.
    Now we go look for something else that's fun.
    Maybe if dwarves get lucky and beat the ratfolk up, maybe we come back and beat the dwarves.

The orcs are about to leave the area towards the northeast.

People close by will hear an orcish conversation. If you know orcish, you understand what's going on.

People farther on, see Yolmar go in a building and a large group of orcs soon come out and start walking to the northwest.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Issachar looks on with wonder at Apex rushing off to talk to orcs. He activates the spores living in his body, causing them to hover around him, as he draws his weapons to prepare for a fight.

Show
    Activate Symbiotic Entity for 10 minutes using 1 WS.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Zolonsho says to Issachar and Tam
    One barbarian goes in, fourteen orcs come out. Shouldn't go alone. I guess we're left with avenging your friend.

She readies her handaxes.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Issachar, Tam and Zolonsho proceed north. Yolmar comes out of the building and the orcs are leaving to the northwest.

Zolonsho asks Yolmar
    What's happening here? We thought you were dead!

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

Apex approaches the group

It looks to me like he just saved a lot of useless bloodshed, along with a fair bit of time. I suggest we continue onwards.

Apex spots Lefty flying 100' overhead and gestures to him. Once Lefty descends Apex says Alright, stay out of sight as best as you can, and do some recon. Let me know what you can see, we're not entirely sure what we're dealing with here but there is something going on over to the west at the very least.

Lefty flies off to do some reconnaissance.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Lefty stealth: (1d20+4)[9]
    Lefty perception 1: (1d20+3)[9]
    Lefty perception 2: (1d20+3)[8]

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Despite Lefty being dazzled by sunlight even the poor observant is able to see a dwarven sentry on the western edge of the large open area in the middle of the district.

The orc patrol is simply walking west and the sentry doesn't much react to them. It doesn't look like the orcs are giving any warning to the dwarf.

On the southern side of the large open area there's a door on which there's a large plaque. The text on the plaque is written in at least three languages. In common it reads
    The Pit.

Yolmar has heard rumors of a drinking establishment in the city by that name.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Sarto
    Catfolk Rogue 3

Sarto peeks around the corner into the large open area. He then returns to the others to tell them what he saw.

"What would everyone like to do now?"

Show
    Stealth (1d20+7)[18]

Perception (1d20+2)[19]

Show
    Phaladena
    clear Lynchbury Fort

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Having a keen eye and a good grasp of stealth Sarto also notices a secondary sentry on the northern edge of the open area. This one an orc.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lefty sends Apex a mental image of the open area, which he assists Sarto in describing to the party. He takes a few steps backwards while still remaining in the circle to signify he will not be leading any charge, but is there to fight with the rest of them.
    Last edited by DonchasWatrfals; 2021-01-11 at 04:03 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

"As long as the orcs aren't going to come back or cause trouble elsewhere," the satyr interjected in the conversation as she caught up with the others. "Otherwise the problem is just delayed, rather than solved."
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Zolonsho asks
    Are any of you good climbers? I'm thinking that maybe we could climb over some of these walls to get to a more advantageous position. I bet they're not watching for an attack from the west.

At this point a shifty ratfolk appears from the slums and starts slowly walking to your general direction. He looks like he's trying to get by you without raising your attention but on an open square his presence is very obvious. He's got a dirty shirt, dirty pants and a large knife stuck on his belt. By looking at him, one wouldn't consider him dangerous though.

The man nods to you in a vague and polite manner ... suggesting he wants no trouble and is about to move past you to the larger plaza.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Sarto
    Catfolk Rogue 3

Sarto watches the orcs move to the northwest, likely to the corner of the district. He considers Zolonsho's recommendation but isn't sure even height would give us enough of an advantage.

"We aren't going to take this district by force. The orcs and dwarves would be too much for us. I'm going to see if I can change things up."

He walks straight for the dwarf guard, keeping his sword sheathed and his hands up and to the side.

"Good morning, sir. My friend was just talking to those orcs that just left and I thought we should warn you. They are planning an attack on your kin. They said something about clearing out dwarf scum form their district. I just thought you should know. Anyway, where's a good place for us to get a drink around here? Is that well clean?"

Show
    Persuasion (1d20+3)[10]

Show
    Phaladena
    clear Lynchbury Fort
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2021-01-13 at 07:52 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Issachar watches the ratman walking towards them, casually spinning his scimitar in his fingers. He nods in return, but never stops watching him.

Show
    Insight - (1d20+5)[8]
    Perception - (1d20+5)[14]
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

The ratman walks initially to the same direction as Sarto, leading to slight awkwardness. Then he turns left and knocks on the door with the plaque that says THE PIT. A moment later someone lets him in. Only when Sarto continues to walk towards the dwarven sentry does Sarto raise his interest.

The dwarf has a short, curly beard and huge sideburns. He's wearing a pothelmet and chain shirt. He seems quite ragged. Even his weapon is an old maul. He's not alone though. Sarto can hear more dwarf voices behind the walls. The sentry is standing on a wooden platform that allows him to look over a wall of a ruined building.

The guard seems wary as Sarto approaches but not necessarily hostile. When he hears Sarto's introduction, he tries to say something but ends up breathing in some of his own saliva. He ends up coughing. After a few seconds he clears his throat and answers
    Thanks for the warning, cat. If you want a drink, go to the Pit. It's the only place I know that serves cats and rats.
    He points to the south.

THen he continues
    The well's poisoned. Don't try the well. Just drink beer like an honest man.

He turns around and yells to his friends
    Hey, guys, this cat here says the orc kids were going to ambush us or something. You think maybe we should go teach them a lesson?
    Voices from behind the wall answer
    I never trusted them orcs.
    A cat? Who's to say that he wasn't lying.
    Everybody knows that catfolk are trustworthy, they're stupid goody goodies.
    Let's go and see about those orcs. Ray would want to know if they're a danger.

The guard says
    Hey, cat... If I find you at the Pit tonight, I'll buy you an ale.

The guard lowers himself down from the platform behind the wall and you hear the dwarfs start moving out.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Six dwarves come out of the western ruins through a broken doorway. They're armed and seemingly ready to fight. They leave to the north.

The rest of the Bayou warriors cross the open area. The orc sentinel on your right looks curiously at your movements. Some of you notice that there's a group of armed orcs hiding behind the sentry.
    Hey. Who are you people!
    Yells the sentry. You see at least three crossbows leveled at you.

Hello, I'm Yolmar the dye merchant and these are my assistants!
    Yolmar yells in orcish.
    We're going to help the dwarves ... with their clothing!

The orcs discuss things in confusion and don't do anything while you simply move past.

In the northwestern section there's one intact house. The dwarves move out of it, seemingly having found it empty.

You walk behind them, ready to choose your actions appropriately. The dwarves find the previous group of young orcs at the very northwesternmost part of the district. An argument develops and it seems likely to develop into a fight.

The dwarves are standing on the street while the orcs are behind a doorway in what remains of a house. The walls surrounding the area are partially crumbled. Should you wish, you could climb over the wall to get behind the orcs, or maybe climb on top of the roof of the house nearby to use ranged weapons. It looks like the fight will develop in the doorway so only a few individuals will be able to participate at a time.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lefty, you know what to do

Lefty flies up to observe the scene from overhead and starts sending mental images to Apex while he attempts to climb onto the roof a nearby house.

Spoiler: Roll'em
    Show

Athletics - (1d20-1)[3]

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

After Apex has failed to get to the roof a couple of times Zolonsho climbs to the roof and ties a rope so Apex can get there easily.

Lefty sees an argument starting to develop into a fight. Weapons are drawn. Both groups are gathering around the doorway. The doorway obviously cuts down the usefulness of the numbers of the orcs.

Spoiler: Initiative queue
    Show

I'm rolling some initiatives just in case of if/when you want to join a fray.

23 Issachar
    21 Zolonsho
    20 Tam Barl
    18 Orcs
    17 Apex
    12 Oogway
    6 Sarto
    4 Dwarves
    3 Yolmar

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Sarto
    Catfolk Rogue 3

Sarto climbs over the wall to get behind the orcs, staying out of sight for now. As he passes the rest of the team, he asks their opinions on the next step.

"Should we help the orcs or the dwarves? Or just wait and see who wins?"

Show
    Phaladena
    clear Lynchbury Fort
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2021-01-16 at 02:56 PM.