New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Resident Alien

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Resident Alien

So the first two of SYDY's Resident Alien were released in their entirety on Youtube. When I first saw trailers for this I though: It's going to live and die depending on how much screen-time Tudyk gets to carry the show.

I have to say I'm loving it so far. I'm vaguely aware that it's an adaptation of some comic that I've never read. Is anyone else enjoying this?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Resident Alien

I thought about starting a thread for this, but after watching the first two episodes I would rather spend my time looking for typos in wiring diagrams.

If you're enjoying it, I'm glad that someone is. I may have laughed once during the first two episodes, but otherwise found it tedious and unfunny. Just not my kind of humor.

3. - Top - End - #3

DwarfClericGuy

I'm sorry to hear that. I can see how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. But I was sold when he walked out after examining the body. I enjoy most of the dark humor jokes and the voice overs. The little bits just add up to something that keeps me chuckling through the episode even if it wasn't laugh out loud funny. Although, it could just be the whiskey helping me rational decisions.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

If whiskey is a factor, well, yeah.

I don't mean to acid-rain on your parade. I can see how some people would enjoy it, but I just don't.

Spoiler
    Show
    I really don't like the overarching threat of destroying the world, and I especially don't like the subplot about how he plans to deal with the kid. I don't find either topic at all humorous, and it makes me dislike the alien rather than rooting for his survival. As it is, after watching him kill the real doctor, I'd be happy if he was vaporized.

And the scenario involving accidental photos of the "lettuce" seemed rather crude and juvenile. It just doesn't work for me.

The one thing I love is the alien alphabet. That's extremely well-done. As for the rest, well, glad you can enjoy it.
    Last edited by Palanan; 2021-02-09 at 12:45 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    I really don't like the overarching threat of destroying the world, and I especially don't like the subplot about how he plans to deal with the kid. I don't find either topic at all humorous, and it makes me dislike the alien rather than rooting for his survival. As it is, after watching him kill the real doctor, I'd be happy if he was vaporized.

And the scenario involving accidental photos of the "lettuce" seemed rather crude and juvenile. It just doesn't work for me.

The one thing I love is the alien alphabet. That's extremely well-done. As for the rest, well, glad you can enjoy it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I can understood both of those, as soon as I saw the opening I thought it was an interesting artistic choice to have him kill the doctor since it automatically predisposes the audience to dislike the alien. I'm interested to see if it will pay off, or if they just shot themselves in the foot. I'm not particularly disturbed by the destroy-the-world thing; it looks like they're just setting up some trite 'there's something worth saving about humanity after-all' lesson. It neither engages me or turns me off. At the very least, I appreciate that they just came out with it in the first episode instead of spending the whole season referring to 'his mission' in hushed tones and trying to use it as a twist.

No arguments on the second. I didn't find this particularly amusing either. I'm also annoyed by the slutty bartender. Although, as medical-field adjacent, I did find the 'all I need is 5 minutes and the internet, and I'll know everything I need to be a doctor' bit hilarious.

I also love the alien alphabet. I think the emergency-airplane-procedures for human interaction in the opening credits are pretty great too.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I saw the first two episodes on Youtube and I have to say that I'm enjoying the show quite a bit. Its got a real big, RL Invader Zim feel to it which is of big appeal to me. Admittedly the idea of the alien's missio and his arch nemesis, I don't have a problem with. Its honestly just hilarious to me.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."