New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Empire 6: From RUIN to rest, the sedation of the Grey Lake. Elu’s Miracle!

Dusk
    On the border of the Carrion Ward

The Uldran Magi that had been tasked with going ahead to make preparations for the Empress’s arrival had chosen to make camp on the border of Solais and Viskari territory, on the furthest edge away from the crimson sky of the Carrion Ward. Even on the outskirts, the turbulent winds snapped tent flaps to and fro violently, and more than one hide was lost to the gale. Huyana had accompanied her underlings, though her help was limited to matters of the esoteric rather than the physical. The aging Archmagi sprinkled Moon-charged water around the camp for protection, and as she squinted, she could see the glow of the mystical barrier from the corner of her eyes.

“Eauden, I pray for Your guidance. Illuminate the Path to right action. Help me find the words to gently heal and balance that which has been twisted by chaos.” She clasped her hands together and closed her eyes as she quietly murmured a prayer.

“She’s listening.” A soft voice answered her and Huyana opened her pale eyes to see the Empress standing beside her. Elu gestured up at the full moon, already visible in the dusky sky, the ominous aura of the Carrion Ward lending it a bloodsoaked hue.

“I’m sorry Empress, I was not aware of your arrival.” Huyana bowed her head in deference, but Elu put her hands up as if to ward off the gesture.

“You have no need to apologize. The Divine takes precedence over the Material, does it not?” Elu stared into the swirling maelstrom, but her view was obscured by her hair that was whipping in the wind, to her annoyance.

“Indeed it does, Empress, still, it is good you are here.” Huyana had come to greatly admire the young Empress’s faith, and had often thought that Elu would have made a worthy successor for Archmagi if only she hadn’t been born to rule.

“Our guests should be arriving shortly as well, are preparations finished?” Her eyes turned to the sprawling campground and the many hands that were preparing a meal for everyone to enjoy before their journey to the Grey Lake.

“Yes, we’re as ready as we can be, given the circumstances.” Huyana squeezed her hands together nervously and Elu smiled gently at the older woman.

“You’ve done well, come, let’s rest and wait for the others to arrive.” The two women sat together on a pile of hides facing the scarlet glow of the Carrion Ward as if not wanting to turn their backs on it.

OOC: This event is for Eauden followers, her allies and those aiding in the Wind Stones. If you are not sure you fall into this category, or have not been personally invited to this thread, please get permission before posting. Thank you! <3
    Last edited by PepperP.; 2021-06-16 at 07:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Empire 6: From RUIN to rest, the sedation of the Grey Lake. Elu’s Miracle!

In the evening light, a party of Alodites finishes a prayer towards the great Sundisk of Soba. In the blistering winds that cut through the burnt orange sky, a child-like voice finished the final mantra.

"May the Sun guide us in sight and Moon protect us in blindness "

The voice of Ramses The Golden, perhaps the only smiling Alodite present, gently corrected his son "Rashidi, we are guests in this land and we should respect their customs, perhaps next time we pray, leave out the moons blindness"

Ramses, 1st Prince of the Alodite Imperium, half-elf, and grand marshal of the west was many things. Equipped to deal with the biting winds of central Tarandi was not one of them. But many things went in unexpected ways in Ramses life, he was born to be a Pharoah, but lives as a viceroy. He was trained as a warrior but has yet to see the true heat battle. He was trained to be an Ashir, and yet it's his son, the 15-year-old Rashidi, who rode a horse today. Some would call this a life of mediocrity but Ramses most all was happy.

Still inner peace was a poor insulator, and the haggard party arrived at the Uldran camp in questionable spirits. At the court, Ramses approached the empress garbed in robes lined with Simurgh feathers and inlet with gently glowing golden sunstones. Before speaking he committed to the kowtow, despite his knees protest.

"Greetings Empress Elu, I am Prince Ramses of the Alodite Imperium."

Gesturing to the young elf, he introduced his child "And this is my True Dawn Rashidi"

"As mutual friends of the truthseers distributors of cures, I'd like to discuss our contribution to the wind stones and any future prospects our empires may share."
    Beautiful Avatar thanks to Gengy

Hangs out on the World building forums

Giantitp projects: Caligoven the toxic seas, Baalbek Empire!3, Coatl Empire!4, Short and sweet world building
    Personal stuff: World of Tieg, Nexus: City of the Multiverse, Forgotten Planet Lost Between 2 stars, World of the 9 gates
    Spoiler: The gift that keeps on giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving some more
    Show
    Spoiler: Metric tons of giving
    Show
    Spoiler: Keep going
    Show
    Spoiler: Suprise
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Empire 6: From RUIN to rest, the sedation of the Grey Lake. Elu’s Miracle!

"I don't know how you ride that thing. Honestly, I thought grandfather was joking. You know he has a weird sense of humor. And think of your mother. You'll break her heart."

Amir Salem il Roka had come with his mother and siblings. Roka to see the Yvaon and the lands of her childhood once more. Her children to see the north at least once. Salem, Roka, Azra, Rayan and Sherin all sat upon their Ashirian mounts with their lean builds, arching necks, and noble brows.

"My mother is smarter than you. You will be shocked to learn that tundra wolves are better suited for... the tundra. Much of the empire is cold; horses would freeze to death on most nights. Hooves aren't good for deep snow or ice. Wolves have big wide feet. Very short growing season too. Not enough cereals for a proper horse. Wolves eat meat and there is plenty of game for them. There are horses in Tarandi, yes, but they're small things. Weak. Slow. Dumb too. They say the Viskari have big woolly horses -- 16 hands or more. I've never seen one. I think they exaggerate."

As the Empress's consort, Amir Asif il Jana had his Hiverness bred wolf-dog -- a mostly grey thing with keen blue eyes, affectionately named Hari. Harisun for long. The Ashiric word for 'sentinel'. He and Salem sat in their saddles still, off a ways yet while everyone else gathered nearer the barrier. His wife would know where to find him if she needed him. Though, there was little he could do for her here except sit in his saddle, looking strong and handsome. This was perhaps true of consorts the world over. Not everyone could be like his mother.

"Mother never really talked about riding wolves," Salem said after sometime considering the dietary needs of the two animals. "I thought grandfather was joking. Really."

"Roka spent her whole life in Danneta-Yvaon. A big stone palace surrounded by a bigger stone city. No reason to learn to ride until she came to the sultanate. She was busy learning the... the stone magic."

Asif made an effortful pushing motion towards the ground as if something would move. Nothing did. Salem mimicked the gesture with greater conviction, having seen his mother demonstrate her powers almost daily. Still, nothing happened. The men nodded to one another, more or less satisfied with their place in the world.

Spoiler
    Show
    Amir = Prince
    Asif - Elu's husband, son of Zidan and Jana
    Roka-Mak - Harun's wife
    Salem, Azra, Rayan, Sherin - Children of Roka and Harun
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2021-06-17 at 06:12 PM.
    I apologize for drawing CockroachTeaParty as a winged centaur.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

As the Uldran Magi worked to set up their encampment a contingent of riders bearing the banners of Aran Viska rode in and quickly formed a perimeter, not wanting any interruptions for the impending ritual. Many of them dismounted to help set up as slower moving troops approached until several hundred elite warriors had arranged themselves to protect the Magi and their guests as they prepared for the journey towards the Grey Lake.

Once things were ready and the Empress had arrived, their leader approached and undid the woollen scarf covering her face. She was short for a Viskari woman and she wore a long wolfskin cloak over thick garments. Heavy silver talismans hung from a chain around her neck and she kept her weapons readily on hand.

"Salana Tenzankad, Ara of All Viskari, according to the Moot at least," she said before bowing politely before the Empress and the Archmagi, "You honour us with your presence Empress, though it would be best if you remained here or headed to our more fortified encampment. Though the Carrion Ward is the safest it has been in years and I am certain you can hold your own against most of the monsters still at large, it would not look good if the Empress of the Holy Uldran Empire died on my watch."

As the Ara spoke a middle-aged Viskari Sarak wearing a lion pelt approached while looking at the ground and without words placed a star-shaped silver talisman set with an emerald carved into the shape of a wolf around the Empress's neck before withdrawing and bowing. The Ara looked at him with a brief flash of irritation that soon softened to a look of compassion.

"Forgive Jazilnak, battling the wretched beasts of the Wyrm has not gone well for him, but his spell-casting is second to none.
    "Now, formalities out of the way, my warriors are ready to move out once your preparations are ready Holy One. The path has been cleared, but I don't want to leave anything to chance."
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lleban View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    [/In the evening light, a party of Alodites finishes a prayer towards the great Sundisk of Soba. In the blistering winds that cut through the burnt orange sky, a child-like voice finished the final mantra.

"May the Sun guide us in sight and Moon protect us in blindness "

The voice of Ramses The Golden, perhaps the only smiling Alodite present, gently corrected his son "Rashidi, we are guests in this land and we should respect their customs, perhaps next time we pray, leave out the moons blindness"

Ramses, 1st Prince of the Alodite Imperium, half-elf, and grand marshal of the west was many things. Equipped to deal with the biting winds of central Tarandi was not one of them. But many things went in unexpected ways in Ramses life, he was born to be a Pharoah, but lives as a viceroy. He was trained as a warrior but has yet to see the true heat battle. He was trained to be an Ashir, and yet it's his son, the 15-year-old Rashidi, who rode a horse today. Some would call this a life of mediocrity but Ramses most all was happy.

Still inner peace was a poor insulator, and the haggard party arrived at the Uldran camp in questionable spirits. At the court, Ramses approached the empress garbed in robes lined with Simurgh feathers and inlet with gently glowing golden sunstones. Before speaking he committed to the kowtow, despite his knees protest.

"Greetings Empress Elu, I am Prince Ramses of the Alodite Imperium."

Gesturing to the young elf, he introduced his child "And this is my True Dawn Rashidi"

"As mutual friends of the truthseers distributors of cures, I'd like to discuss our contribution to the wind stones and any future prospects our empires may share."

Elu looked vaguely uncomfortable as the elf's prostration, but was unfamiliar enough with the Alodite's customs to not question the gesture.

"Please rise, we are all friends here." Elu held out her hand graciously and smiled warmly at the youngster.

"I am pleased to say that great progress has been made on the Wind Stones, and more help arrives by the day. We are fortunate to be living in a time of unprecedented cooperation, and though there are those who pay homage to chaos for chaos's sake, there are far more who desire cooperation. I am glad to count you among the latter, Prince Ramses." She paused for a moment to give him a chance to regain his feet.

"As far as future prospects, did you have something specific in mind?"

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarion Xid View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I don't know how you ride that thing. Honestly, I thought grandfather was joking. You know he has a weird sense of humor. And think of your mother. You'll break her heart."

Amir Salem il Roka had come with his mother and siblings. Roka to see the Yvaon and the lands of her childhood once more. Her children to see the north at least once. Salem, Roka, Azra, Rayan and Sherin all sat upon their Ashirian mounts with their lean builds, arching necks, and noble brows.

"My mother is smarter than you. You will be shocked to learn that tundra wolves are better suited for... the tundra. Much of the empire is cold; horses would freeze to death on most nights. Hooves aren't good for deep snow or ice. Wolves have big wide feet. Very short growing season too. Not enough cereals for a proper horse. Wolves eat meat and there is plenty of game for them. There are horses in Tarandi, yes, but they're small things. Weak. Slow. Dumb too. They say the Viskari have big woolly horses -- 16 hands or more. I've never seen one. I think they exaggerate."

As the Empress's consort, Amir Asif il Jana had his Hiverness bred wolf-dog -- a mostly grey thing with keen blue eyes, affectionately named Hari. Harisun for long. The Ashiric word for 'sentinel'. He and Salem sat in their saddles still, off a ways yet while everyone else gathered nearer the barrier. His wife would know where to find him if she needed him. Though, there was little he could do for her here except sit in his saddle, looking strong and handsome. This was perhaps true of consorts the world over. Not everyone could be like his mother.

"Mother never really talked about riding wolves," Salem said after sometime considering the dietary needs of the two animals. "I thought grandfather was joking. Really."

"Roka spent her whole life in Danneta-Yvaon. A big stone palace surrounded by a bigger stone city. No reason to learn to ride until she came to the sultanate. She was busy learning the... the stone magic."

Asif made a effortful pushing motion towards the ground as if something would move. Nothing did. Salem mimicked the gesture with greater conviction, having seen his mother demonstrate her powers almost daily. Still, nothing happened. The men nodded to one another, more or less satisfied with their place in the world.
    "Daddy!" "Daddy!" Two young children riding tandem on a large black wolf approached Asif and harried him, desperate for attention.

"When is mommy gonna do the magic?" The girl asked in a voice that implied she had been the pinnacle of patience up until now.

"Yeah Daddy, I'm BORED!" The boy slumped in the saddle dramatically as the wolf wagged his tail slowly and whined at his charges plaintive voices.

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    As the Uldran Magi worked to set up their encampment a contingent of riders bearing the banners of Aran Viska rode in and quickly formed a perimeter, not wanting any interruptions for the impending ritual. Many of them dismounted to help set up as slower moving troops approached until several hundred elite warriors had arranged themselves to protect the Magi and their guests as they prepared for the journey towards the Grey Lake.

Once things were ready and the Empress had arrived, their leader approached and undid the woollen scarf covering her face. She was short for a Viskari woman and she wore a long wolfskin cloak over thick garments. Heavy silver talismans hung from a chain around her neck and she kept her weapons readily on hand.

"Salana Tenzankad, Ara of All Viskari, according to the Moot at least," she said before bowing politely before the Empress and the Archmagi, "You honour us with your presence Empress, though it would be best if you remained here or headed to our more fortified encampment. Though the Carrion Ward is the safest it has been in years and I am certain you can hold your own against most of the monsters still at large, it would not look good if the Empress of the Holy Uldran Empire died on my watch."

As the Ara spoke a middle-aged Viskari Sarak wearing a lion pelt approached while looking at the ground and without words placed a star-shaped silver talisman set with an emerald carved into the shape of a wolf around the Empress's neck before withdrawing and bowing. The Ara looked at him with a brief flash of irritation that soon softened to a look of compassion.

"Forgive Jazilnak, battling the wretched beasts of the Wyrm has not gone well for him, but his spell-casting is second to none.
    "Now, formalities out of the way, my warriors are ready to move out once your preparations are ready Holy One. The path has been cleared, but I don't want to leave anything to chance."
    Elu stood docilely and allowed Jazilnak to place the talisman around her neck. She reached out and touched his arm briefly.

"There is nothing to forgive, I am honored to receive your gift. Thank you for your consideration." Her tone was compassionate, she had heard of the difficulties of taking and holding the Carrion Ward, but seeing the conditions first hand had been eye-opening to the ongoing struggle.

"Ara Salana, I am heartened to have the support of the Viskari in both faith and arms, and do not take your council lightly." She clasped her hands in front of her.

"However, it has been decreed by Eauden Herself that I must be in attendance at the Lake today. Huyana has read the bones and says it is so." She turned to look at the Archmagi, who nodded affirmation.

"Yes, I am afraid if anything happens to our Empress, it is I and not you who will bare the brunt of responsibility, Ara Salana." Huyana's face was serene, though there was a glimmer of worry in her eyes.

"We all must walk the Path She sets for us. I am no exception to this, but being surrounded by my people and allies strengthens my courage. We will enter the maelstrom together and be stronger for it."
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    #Notallinfluencers

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

"I don't know how they stand this weather," Antitnila said. The long trek across Tarandi had partially accustomed her to the cold, but it was rare to be outside so late in the day, and it seemed unusually chilly.

"They're used to it," Ivigamtā replied. "It gets a lot colder further north. Bring one of them to Limdimon and they'd melt." Both women were wrapped up rather unnecessarily in furs against the rather mild cold.

Somewhat unsure of Tarandian customs in respect of whether they should present themselves to the Empress as the highest-ranking individual present, or whoever commanded the Viskari garrison as the de facto host, they elected for the former and made their way through the

"Hail, Empress," said Ivigamtā, somewhat informally, with the attitude of somebody who was aware of protocol but was used to ignoring it. "This is Princess Antitnila of Limdimon."

"My family are friends of the Truthseers," Antitnila said, which was more than true: indeed, while they had had little information as to her progress, it was their belief that her youngest sister Emagula would be a Truthseer herself in time. "My father has sent us to observe the final casting-out of the Agent of Ruin, and to bring you a message of goodwill from Kiswa."
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PepperP. View Post
    Elu stood docilely and allowed Jazilnak to place the talisman around her neck. She reached out and touched his arm briefly.

"There is nothing to forgive, I am honored to receive your gift. Thank you for your consideration." Her tone was compassionate, she had heard of the difficulties of taking and holding the Carrion Ward, but seeing the conditions first hand had been eye-opening to the ongoing struggle.

"Ara Salana, I am heartened to have the support of the Viskari in both faith and arms, and do not take your council lightly." She clasped her hands in front of her.

"However, it has been decreed by Eauden Herself that I must be in attendance at the Lake today. Huyana has read the bones and says it is so." She turned to look at the Archmagi, who nodded affirmation.

"Yes, I am afraid if anything happens to our Empress, it is I and not you who will bare the brunt of responsibility, Ara Salana." Huyana's face was serene, though there was a glimmer of worry in her eyes.

"We all must walk the Path She sets for us. I am no exception to this, but being surrounded by my people and allies strengthens my courage. We will enter the maelstrom together and be stronger for it."
    "I hope it will protect you as you face the Mouth of Hell itself," Jazilnak said, his voice so hoarse and quiet that the Empress almost had to strain to hear it, "I can see though that Aer Caladon, Iskandrazac and all the Gods are with you this day, my little talisman I feel will do little but assuage my own worries."

Jazilnak took his leave to attend to his priestly duties whiles Salana listened as Huyana and Elu revealed the insights the Archmagi had gained.

"I suspected I would be unable to dissuade you. I am but a warrior so I must concede that my counsel is a distant second to the divine revelations of an Oracle," she nodded politely to Huyana as she used the older title, "If Eauden permits it I would like to volunteer to ride alongside you both, even unto the very heart of the accursed maelstrom itself. Though I can do little to aid you in the thaumaturgy you have planned for this day, I can at least carry you both to safety should things go poorly."
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)

Dragons!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Before the last light faded, a new set of riders emerged from almost due south. While others had been instructed to go around the Bloody Hills, this one had ridden directly through it - first, as a scouting endeavor for the pacification and reconstruction efforts to follow, and second to ensure that the efforts of any lingering hostile spirits would be directed at the heavily armed Solais riders and not the continent's guests.

Fortunately, outright battle had not erupted, and the contingent reached the rendezvous point intact. Foremost among them was Lessa the Firecrown, looking precisely as Huyana had last seen her, save that her once forest-colored hair was now jet black. She even had a set of guardian outriders and two members of the Star Watch with her, just as she had at the Eauden convocation. What was new were the two riders closest to her - a young human man and what appeared to be photo-negative version of Lessa herself, pale with hair of bright gold.

The Solais might be an empire now, but pomp and circumstance was still largely restricted to religious rituals - which, to be fair, was what everyone was here for, but that didn't necessarily extend to the greeting. As a result, the group rode almost up to Empress Elu before dismounting, and the Forest Folk approached without hesitation.

She knew of the Viskari and Uldran leaders, but had met neither in person until now. The events of the past decade and a half had made extensive travel unwise even without the threat of plague. As a result, she thumped one forearm across her chest in the traditional Solais greeting. "Empress Elu, Ara Salana, it's an honor to finally meet you. I am Lessa the Firecrown, First Thane of the Solais Empire. To my left is Kylara of the Tower; to my right is Fergus of the Cloak, both potential successors." She left out any mention of the fall of the Uldran champion, despite it being recent enough for a mention under other circumstances. That was not her story to meddle in. "We have outrun our supply chain. Assistance with the Wind Stones is inbound. We are also here to offer what assistance we may with putting matters here to rest."

Behind her, the Solais outriders cooperated with any reasonable Viskari direction, including the wearing of whatever charms, talismans, or tokens their hosts thought appropriate. Lessa also spied several truly foreign delegations, even as she had breezed past them. It wasn't that she had no interest in them, it was simply that business took priority.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

9. - Top - End - #9

Spoiler: Elu
    Show
    [QUOTE=PepperP.;25090088]Elu looked vaguely uncomfortable as the elf's prostration, but was unfamiliar enough with the Alodite's customs to not question the gesture.

"Please rise, we are all friends here." Elu held out her hand graciously and smiled warmly at the youngster.

"I am pleased to say that great progress has been made on the Wind Stones, and more help arrives by the day. We are fortunate to be living in a time of unprecedented cooperation, and though there are those who pay homage to chaos for chaos's sake, there are far more who desire cooperation. I am glad to count you among the latter, Prince Ramses." She paused for a moment to give him a chance to regain his feet.

Ramses quickly got up sensing that he was being rather awkward

Winking at the Empress he attempted to diffuse any tension

"Sorry if my bow was overstretched, I haven't practiced archery in years!"

As Ramses delivered his punchline Rashidi shrunk further into the crowd standing stealthy behind a wide-eyed Dolod. Ramses rolled off his dad joke with practiced skill.

"Elu Empress of the Northern Lands I imagined we could cooperate with a cultural exchange. My son Rashidi, is nearing manhood, he's smart and perceptive, yet he is naive. He knows much of the vituperative sands, the cooling rains, and of fields full of bounty. Yet there is so much more he could learn."

Ramses clasped his hands together to restrain wild gesticulations.

"If you were to agree to take in my son and show him the ways of the Euadenites, then I would gladly take one of yours, to show them the ways of the Alodites. Fear not I shall protect hem, and perosnally show them the four great cities of the Imperium. I belive there is much we can learn from each other."
    Last edited by Lleban; 2021-06-17 at 05:01 PM.

Giantitp projects: Caligoven the toxic seas, Baalbek Empire!3, Coatl Empire!4, Short and sweet world building
    Personal stuff: World of Tieg, Nexus: City of the Multiverse, Forgotten Planet Lost Between 2 stars, World of the 9 gates
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Enormous, shuffling shapes drew closer to the camp, sporting many heads sprouting from across the varied colors of their mismatched hide. This would be instantly recognizable to many in the camp, though what beasts of burden need be so thoroughly covered with furs remained unknown. Rhinos and Mammoths alike had thick enough pelts for even weather such as this. The party grew closer - much closer - before their nature became clear, though the smaller figures around them were discernible from some distance.

The nearest of them bore the least of these coverings, and even - or perhaps especially - in the dim light of sunset, they seemed to glow softly. A dull, reddish hue that seemed to wash over their entire accoutrement, cast by a scaly hide the color of amber from which steam appeared to rise. Their jaw was long and slender - narrower than that of most Dhraan, though few would know it - and over it were eyes like burnished gold, brilliant and molten.

Thusaasha Lhungho paused to allow her niece to catch up - she had been charged with leadership of this mission, and did not want the girl to miss out on the opportunity to survey the camp where they would be meeting. The child had fared admirably on the journey here, in Thusaasha's opinion, especially given that she was not blessed with fire in her blood to keep her warm despite the chill. Nearly thirty Vyrka, split between Efryt and Ravyk, had accompanied them on this last leg of the journey - but still it had been Maat who had kept them in meat most nights.

"I see we missed the part of the invitation where we were to borne here by desert asses. Did you make us walk merely to toughen my feet?"
    Of course, admirably did not mean silently. Thusaasha held down both a laugh and the urge to roll her eyes as she responded to Ubuukhanya, though she did cast a glance to the princess's tutor, whose serene expression nonetheless radiated a stern disapproval.
    "I made us walk because I do not enjoy being cruel to beasts, my igatsha. And those horses - not asses, horses - could not bear you now, so grown have you become. Perhaps if your mother had tamed elephants instead of spreading the wisdom of the Great Mother, your feet might have been spared. Maybe when we return you could express your pains to her, and she will see the tragic error of her ways."

Ubuukhanya was not as experienced as her aunt in controlling herself, and so Thusaasha was certain she could just about hear her niece's scales shifting color in mock exasperation as the girl shuffled past.

Naangandala wasn't far behind, and looked askance at his wife's sister as he plodded forward - he had fared better with the cold, but the prodigious bulk of his frame had made a journey with so few waterways of sufficient warmth to travel within difficult on his joints, and he'd been snappy and tired for the last week.
    "Must you really encourage her so?"
    "Why, what else would aunts be for, if not teaching little girls to be as sharp with their tongue as they are with a spear?"
    Naangandala's throat rumbled at this
    "I don't know - teaching them etiquette or passing on, graah, matronly wisdom?"
    "I don't believe I ever learned either of those. I suppose I must not have had any aunts in my youth. Your wit is slower than it was at our outset, Nani, and your temper shorter. Let me handle introductions, this time?"
    A low hiss of annoyance, but undercut by an arm waved in assent.

For all Thusaasha's talk, she knelt, lowered her snout and presented her palms before her jaws, cupped together as if to drink in the manner of the Children. The rest of her party followed suit, save Maat the Archer - who opted to stand instead at a remove, watching the delegation from Limdimon with an unreadable expression - and Ubuukhanya - who makes the same gesture, but simply bows forward slightly instead of kneeling, just as her father and tutor had instructed her countless times on the journey here.
    "Hail, Empress," the half-troll began, "May the serpent queen's gaze find your family well, your herds bountiful, and your...hounds swift and strong? I am Thusaasha Lhungho, sister to the Prophet-Queen Usuukhusaa Lhungho, whose behalf I attend on. She must beg your forgiveness for her absence, but the kingdom requires her close ministrations in the face of what ills have befallen us as of late. In her place attends my niece, the Crown Princess Ubuukhanya Lhungho, and her father, Low King Naangandala. With me also are Dora-Mak, Great Wife and second in the royal kin-circle only to the High Queen herself, as well as Maat the Archer, Negus of the Alodites and captain of the royal guard; Muireach MacSiridh, Sworn Chaplain to the royal kin-circle; and Fangdi, disciple of the dreaming monk Bolai and Royal Tutor. I offer flesh of my flesh, that you might sup and be filled."
    The other Dhraan repeated that last line, as Thusaasha gestured and brought a parcel wrapped in waxed hide and cloth, which she in turn presented to the Empress. Within were three delicately presented...knuckles, it seemed - far larger than any human knuckle, jerked and spiced, of different sizes.

Spoiler: Company
    Show
    • Ubuukhanya Lhungho, Crown Princess of Lhungho Saar - female Dhraan, ~13 years of age, daughter of Usuukhusaa Lhungho and first in line for the throne
    • Thusaasha Lhungho, Highborn Princess - female Efra-Dhraan, ~31 years of age, birth sister to Usuukhuusa Lhungho
    • Naangandala Lhungho, Low King of Lhungho Saar - male Dhraan, ~40 years of age, member of the royal kin-circle and one of Ubuukhanya Lhungho's fathers
    • Dora-Mak, Great Wife of Lhungho Saar - female human, ~60 years of age, member of the royal kin-circle
    • Maat the Archer, Negus of the Alodites and Captain of the Royal Guard, male half-elf, appears ageless but at least mid-40s, last in line(?) for the throne of the Alodites
    • Fangdi, Student of Bolai and Royal Tutor - NuFei, late 40s(?)
    • Muireach MacSiridh, Sworn Chaplain - male Anbroch dwarf, mid-30s, disciple of the late Rosie MacGill, Guardian-Sworn

Sincerely,
    Role P. Geek

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I don't know how they stand this weather," Antitnila said. The long trek across Tarandi had partially accustomed her to the cold, but it was rare to be outside so late in the day, and it seemed unusually chilly.

"They're used to it," Ivigamtā replied. "It gets a lot colder further north. Bring one of them to Limdimon and they'd melt." Both women were wrapped up rather unnecessarily in furs against the rather mild cold.

Somewhat unsure of Tarandian customs in respect of whether they should present themselves to the Empress as the highest-ranking individual present, or whoever commanded the Viskari garrison as the de facto host, they elected for the former and made their way through the

"Hail, Empress," said Ivigamtā, somewhat informally, with the attitude of somebody who was aware of protocol but was used to ignoring it. "This is Princess Antitnila of Limdimon."

"My family are friends of the Truthseers," Antitnila said, which was more than true: indeed, while they had had little information as to her progress, it was their belief that her youngest sister Emagula would be a Truthseer herself in time. "My father has sent us to observe the final casting-out of the Agent of Ruin, and to bring you a message of goodwill from Kiswa."
    "Hail and well-met, Princess Antitnila." Elu greeted the one who had been introduced to her.

"I hope the Tarandian climate is not too great a hardship for you. Please send my regards to Kiswa when you rejoin your father, though whether or not RUIN will be put to rest lies in the hands of Eauden. I hope we will not disappoint you." Her smile was modest as she sought to temper expectations.

"If we are indeed successful today, it will be at least in part due to the Truthseers vigilance against chaos, you have our gratitude for your assistance with the Wind Stones. I am happy to call friends of the Truthseers friends of Uldra as well." She nodded graciously to the two women, happy to make an acquaintance from the distant continent at long last.

Spoiler
    Show
    "I hope it will protect you as you face the Mouth of Hell itself," Jazilnak said, his voice so hoarse and quiet that the Empress almost had to strain to hear it, "I can see though that Aer Caladon, Iskandrazac and all the Gods are with you this day, my little talisman I feel will do little but assuage my own worries."

Jazilnak took his leave to attend to his priestly duties whiles Salana listened as Huyana and Elu revealed the insights the Archmagi had gained.

"I suspected I would be unable to dissuade you. I am but a warrior so I must concede that my counsel is a distant second to the divine revelations of an Oracle," she nodded politely to Huyana as she used the older title, "If Eauden permits it I would like to volunteer to ride alongside you both, even unto the very heart of the accursed maelstrom itself. Though I can do little to aid you in the thaumaturgy you have planned for this day, I can at least carry you both to safety should things go poorly."
    Elu smiled warmly at Salana's offer.

"I would welcome you to ride by side, Ara Salana." Elu glanced at Huyana who nodded almost imperceptibly.

"I hate to ask more of you, but I feel the evening will require invocations from more of the faithful than just I. If one of your Magi would grace us with a prayer when the time comes, we would be grateful for the assistance."

Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Before the last light faded, a new set of riders emerged from almost due south. While others had been instructed to go around the Bloody Hills, this one had ridden directly through it - first, as a scouting endeavor for the pacification and reconstruction efforts to follow, and second to ensure that the efforts of any lingering hostile spirits would be directed at the heavily armed Solais riders and not the continent's guests.

Fortunately, outright battle had not erupted, and the contingent reached the rendezvous point intact. Foremost among them was Lessa the Firecrown, looking precisely as Huyana had last seen her, save that her once forest-colored hair was now jet black. She even had a set of guardian outriders and two members of the Star Watch with her, just as she had at the Eauden convocation. What was new were the two riders closest to her - a young human man and what appeared to be photo-negative version of Lessa herself, pale with hair of bright gold.

The Solais might be an empire now, but pomp and circumstance was still largely restricted to religious rituals - which, to be fair, was what everyone was here for, but that didn't necessarily extend to the greeting. As a result, the group rode almost up to Empress Elu before dismounting, and the Forest Folk approached without hesitation.

She knew of the Viskari and Uldran leaders, but had met neither in person until now. The events of the past decade and a half had made extensive travel unwise even without the threat of plague. As a result, she thumped one forearm across her chest in the traditional Solais greeting. "Empress Elu, Ara Salana, it's an honor to finally meet you. I am Lessa the Firecrown, First Thane of the Solais Empire. To my left is Kylara of the Tower; to my right is Fergus of the Cloak, both potential successors." She left out any mention of the fall of the Uldran champion, despite it being recent enough for a mention under other circumstances. That was not her story to meddle in. "We have outrun our supply chain. Assistance with the Wind Stones is inbound. We are also here to offer what assistance we may with putting matters here to rest."

Behind her, the Solais outriders cooperated with any reasonable Viskari direction, including the wearing of whatever charms, talismans, or tokens their hosts thought appropriate. Lessa also spied several truly foreign delegations, even as she had breezed past them. It wasn't that she had no interest in them, it was simply that business took priority.
    "You are welcome here, Lessa the Firecrown. It is an honor to have our fellow faithful by our side as we prepare to face the maelstrom of chaos left behind by RUIN." Elu smiled warmly at the other woman and nodded to her two companions in turn.

"I was just asking the Ara as well, I think the occasion calls for multiple invocations. If you might feel so inclined, I would ask for a prayer from the Solais delegation when the time comes to put the Grey Lake to rest."

Spoiler
    Show
    Ramses quickly got up sensing that he was being rather awkward

Winking at the Empress he attempted to diffuse any tension

"Sorry if my bow was overstretched, I haven't practiced archery in years!"

As Ramses delivered his punchline Rashidi shrunk further into the crowd standing stealthy behind a wide-eyed Dolod. Ramses rolled off his dad joke with practiced skill.

"Elu Empress of the Northern Lands I imagined we could cooperate with a cultural exchange. My son Rashidi, is nearing manhood, he's smart and perceptive, yet he is naive. He knows much of the vituperative sands, the cooling rains, and of fields full of bounty. Yet there is so much more he could learn."

Ramses clasped his hands together to restrain wild gesticulations.

"If you were to agree to take in my son and show him the ways of the Euadenites, then I would gladly take one of yours, to show them the ways of the Alodites. Fear not I shall protect hem, and perosnally show them the four great cities of the Imperium. I belive there is much we can learn from each other."
    Elu cocked her head at the joke, looking slightly amused and wondering if something hadn't been lost in translation.

"I am sure much could be gained from a cultural exchange between our peoples. Rashidi would be welcomed here and treated with honor, though my own children are far too young for such an endeavor." She thought about it for a moment. There is a descendant of Wolfenhall, the great city of the far north, who I believe would be a suitable candidate, if you agree."

Quote Originally Posted by Rolepgeek View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Enormous, shuffling shapes drew closer to the camp, sporting many heads sprouting from across the varied colors of their mismatched hide. This would be instantly recognizable to many in the camp, though what beasts of burden need be so thoroughly covered with furs remained unknown. Rhinos and Mammoths alike had thick enough pelts for even weather such as this. The party grew closer - much closer - before their nature became clear, though the smaller figures around them were discernible from some distance.

The nearest of them bore the least of these coverings, and even - or perhaps especially - in the dim light of sunset, they seemed to glow softly. A dull, reddish hue that seemed to wash over their entire accoutrement, cast by a scaly hide the color of amber from which steam appeared to rise. Their jaw was long and slender - narrower than that of most Dhraan, though few would know it - and over it were eyes like burnished gold, brilliant and molten.

Thusaasha Lhungho paused to allow her niece to catch up - she had been charged with leadership of this mission, and did not want the girl to miss out on the opportunity to survey the camp where they would be meeting. The child had fared admirably on the journey here, in Thusaasha's opinion, especially given that she was not blessed with fire in her blood to keep her warm despite the chill. Nearly thirty Vyrka, split between Efryt and Ravyk, had accompanied them on this last leg of the journey - but still it had been Maat who had kept them in meat most nights.

"I see we missed the part of the invitation where we were to borne here by desert asses. Did you make us walk merely to toughen my feet?"
    Of course, admirably did not mean silently. Thusaasha held down both a laugh and the urge to roll her eyes as she responded to Ubuukhanya, though she did cast a glance to the princess's tutor, whose serene expression nonetheless radiated a stern disapproval.
    "I made us walk because I do not enjoy being cruel to beasts, my igatsha. And those horses - not asses, horses - could not bear you now, so grown have you become. Perhaps if your mother had tamed elephants instead of spreading the wisdom of the Great Mother, your feet might have been spared. Maybe when we return you could express your pains to her, and she will see the tragic error of her ways."

Ubuukhanya was not as experienced as her aunt in controlling herself, and so Thusaasha was certain she could just about hear her niece's scales shifting color in mock exasperation as the girl shuffled past.

Naangandala wasn't far behind, and looked askance at his wife's sister as he plodded forward - he had fared better with the cold, but the prodigious bulk of his frame had made a journey with so few waterways of sufficient warmth to travel within difficult on his joints, and he'd been snappy and tired for the last week.
    "Must you really encourage her so?"
    "Why, what else would aunts be for, if not teaching little girls to be as sharp with their tongue as they are with a spear?"
    Naangandala's throat rumbled at this
    "I don't know - teaching them etiquette or passing on, graah, matronly wisdom?"
    "I don't believe I ever learned either of those. I suppose I must not have had any aunts in my youth. Your wit is slower than it was at our outset, Nani, and your temper shorter. Let me handle introductions, this time?"
    A low hiss of annoyance, but undercut by an arm waved in assent.

For all Thusaasha's talk, she knelt, lowered her snout and presented her palms before her jaws, cupped together as if to drink in the manner of the Children. The rest of her party followed suit, save Maat the Archer - who opted to stand instead at a remove, watching the delegation from Limdimon with an unreadable expression - and Ubuukhanya - who makes the same gesture, but simply bows forward slightly instead of kneeling, just as her father and tutor had instructed her countless times on the journey here.
    "Hail, Empress," the half-troll began, "May the serpent queen's gaze find your family well, your herds bountiful, and your...hounds swift and strong? I am Thusaasha Lhungho, sister to the Prophet-Queen Usuukhusaa Lhungho, whose behalf I attend on. She must beg your forgiveness for her absence, but the kingdom requires her close ministrations in the face of what ills have befallen us as of late. In her place attends my niece, the Crown Princess Ubuukhanya Lhungho, and her father, Low King Naangandala. With me also are Dora-Mak, Great Wife and second in the royal kin-circle only to the High Queen herself, as well as Maat the Archer, Negus of the Alodites and captain of the royal guard; Muireach MacSiridh, Sworn Chaplain to the royal kin-circle; and Fangdi, disciple of the dreaming monk Bolai and Royal Tutor. I offer flesh of my flesh, that you might sup and be filled."
    The other Dhraan repeated that last line, as Thusaasha gestured and brought a parcel wrapped in waxed hide and cloth, which she in turn presented to the Empress. Within were three delicately presented...knuckles, it seemed - far larger than any human knuckle, jerked and spiced, of different sizes.

Spoiler: Company
    Show
    • Ubuukhanya Lhungho, Crown Princess of Lhungho Saar - female Dhraan, ~13 years of age, daughter of Usuukhusaa Lhungho and first in line for the throne
    • Thusaasha Lhungho, Highborn Princess - female Efra-Dhraan, ~31 years of age, birth sister to Usuukhuusa Lhungho
    • Naangandala Lhungho, Low King of Lhungho Saar - male Dhraan, ~40 years of age, member of the royal kin-circle and one of Ubuukhanya Lhungho's fathers
    • Dora-Mak, Great Wife of Lhungho Saar - female human, ~60 years of age, member of the royal kin-circle
    • Maat the Archer, Negus of the Alodites and Captain of the Royal Guard, male half-elf, appears ageless but at least mid-40s, last in line(?) for the throne of the Alodites
    • Fangdi, Student of Bolai and Royal Tutor - NuFei, late 40s(?)
    • Muireach MacSiridh, Sworn Chaplain - male Anbroch dwarf, mid-30s, disciple of the late Rosie MacGill, Guardian-Sworn

Elu looked curiously at the newcomers, but her curiosity was tempered by duty and a warm smile of welcome suffused her face as she took in their greetings, and gift. She motioned a seemingly unarmed guard forward and he accepted the gift of meat for the Empress.

"Thank you for your gift and for your blessings upon my people and my hounds. I am honored that you have traveled so far so be with us today." She bowed her head shallowly.

"Please tell Prophet-Queen Usuukhusaa Lhungho that her absence was regrettable, but understandable and her delegates brought her people honor. Of course I am aware of the hardships that have only so recently ravaged peoples far and wide. My own people have just recovered from the plagues they were beset by, with the aid of the Truthseers. We owe them a great debt of gratitude for their aid and welcome their friends without reservation."
    #Notallinfluencers

12. - Top - End - #12

Spoiler: Empress Elu
    Show
    [QUOTE=PepperP.;25090475]

Elu cocked her head at the joke, looking slightly amused and wondering if something hadn't been lost in translation.

"I am sure much could be gained from a cultural exchange between our peoples. Rashidi would be welcomed here and treated with honor, though my own children are far too young for such an endeavor." She thought about it for a moment. There is a descendant of Wolfenhall, the great city of the far north, who I believe would be a suitable candidate if you agree."

Ramses nodded politely

"This land may be cold, but I've come to appreciate few things are warmer than a mother's comfort, wouldn't you agree. I shall treat this candidate as my own, and show him all the wonders the Imperium has to offer."

Ramses then scans the crowd for his child bellowing

RASHIDI!

Like a squirrel, furtively scanning for predators, the 15-year-old elf presents a corn husk basket of fine southern silks, Simurgh feathers, and a brilliant sunstone necklace followed with a curtsy.

"May the Sun guide you in sight, and may the Moon protect you. Thank you for the opportunity madam empress."

Thusaasha Lhungho

Ramses gingerly walked to the giant salamander Esque ruler Thusaasha Lhungho. Apparently, the truthseers had decided to bless these creatures with knowledge, Ramses had his doubts. But if maat decided to try his luck with them, then there is probably more than what meets the eye.

"I see you too have come to witness this...this...exorcism. Tell me how is the welp Maat these days"

Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

Spoiler
    Show
    Elu looked curiously at the newcomers, but her curiosity was tempered by duty and a warm smile of welcome suffused her face as she took in their greetings, and gift. She motioned a seemingly unarmed guard forward and he accepted the gift of meat for the Empress.

"Thank you for your gift and for your blessings upon my people and my hounds. I am honored that you have traveled so far so be with us today." She bowed her head shallowly.

"Please tell Prophet-Queen Usuukhusaa Lhungho that her absence was regrettable, but understandable and her delegates brought her people honor. Of course I am aware of the hardships that have only so recently ravaged peoples far and wide. My own people have just recovered from the plagues they were beset by, with the aid of the Truthseers. We owe them a great debt of gratitude for their aid and welcome their friends without reservation."
    "You shower us with honor to speak so, your Majesty, and I will relay your kind words to my sister upon my first opportunity."

She bowed her head further, and scales across her head, neck, and shoulders seemed to ignite - no, they were simply shifting in color, changing from the sheen of amber to a glittering scarlet in slow, flickering patterns that might be recognizable to some as an especially colorful version of a polite smile for the Dhraan.

"The Truthseers have been a true boon to Lhungho Saar, as you are no doubt aware already, and we are pleased to find more friends in the north - especially in such turbulent times. I know my sister frets constantly about the state of affairs among the Children in Tarandi and their wellbeing - though perhaps their distance is their protection, in truth. It is nonetheless our - and here I do mean myself and my companions' - sincerest hope that this ritual might put to rest a source of that worry. I worry for my sister at times. As Empress, I am sure your crown must weigh all the heavier, and so I pray that you are able to find the rest you can from that burden when opportunity avails itself."

Those golden eyes, raised now to meet the Empress's own, carried in them a genuine concern despite their near-uniformity - nothing about them could rightfully be accused of being 'cold'.

Spoiler
    Show

Thusaasha Lhungho

Ramses gingerly walked to the giant salamander Esque ruler Thusaasha Lhungho. Apparently, the truthseers had decided to bless these creatures with knowledge, Ramses had his doubts. But if maat decided to try his luck with them, then there is probably more than what meets the eye.

"I see you too have come to witness this...this...exorcism. Tell me how is the welp Maat these days"
    "Well enough, at least, that my sister saw fit to appoint him as captain of the guard. If he did not appear preoccupied with making sure the Bannandans don't snatch away Ubuukhanya through the time-honored means of glaring at them, I'd suggest you ask him yourself."

She gestures at where the famed archer appeared to be doing just that, though with marginally more subtlety than Thusaasha had given him credit for, as he made a show of warming himself by a fire and looking around the camp - though his eyes would always come back to the delegation from Limdimon at regular intervals.

"But, yes. My sister requested I take the princess with me to pay our respects to the Empress, bear witness, and so on and so forth. I, however, am quite sure the greater part of her motivation lay in Tarandi's... relative stability as of late."

The half-troll watched her niece as she tried and failed to avoid being awkward in a camp for beings rather smaller than herself while also fulfilling her own curiosity in silence for a few seconds before settling back and down onto her knees with a grunt and sigh - more for the relief it offered than any gesture of deference.

"I...could call Maat over if you wished? I am sure Ubuukhanya would adore someone new to talk to once she's done gawking, too. Failing those meager attempts to redirect your attentions before I embarrass myself with my scant knowledge of the customs of your people and indeed unfamiliarity with your name, though - I am Thusaasha, but my friends call my Saasha. How fares my brother's old apprentice, the potter's son - I believe his name was Shevu?"
    Sincerely,
    Role P. Geek

14. - Top - End - #14

It was a surprisingly long trip, even with increased modes of transportation. A small party of eight night elves were assembled to scope out this huge union. There wasn’t much that their empire had to contribute, aside from what they had already given, but it would be good to bear gifts and offer good wishes.

As well as to let Joy have an excuse to visit the northern reaches of the world. It was chilly, though unlike all the other elves who were cloaked in buffalo and mountain goat furs, she walked around with only her golden feathers and scales as if she were in the midst of the warm desert.

Flying overheard was also a good time to observe and see just how much ruin RUIN brought upon these lands, as well as the way these people were recovering from different diseases. Most importantly... to stay clear of the Island Fugue, a whole new plague that the night elven empire of the south had never heard of before, rumored to be just as bad as those that came before it.
    Last edited by Epinephrine_Syn; 2021-06-17 at 10:39 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

[/SPOILER]
    "Daddy!" "Daddy!" Two young children riding tandem on a large black wolf approached Asif and harried him, desperate for attention.

"When is mommy gonna do the magic?" The girl asked in a voice that implied she had been the pinnacle of patience up until now.

"Yeah Daddy, I'm BORED!" The boy slumped in the saddle dramatically as the wolf wagged his tail slowly and whined at his charges plaintive voices.
    Asif dismounted and scooped his children off their wolf in nearly the same motion. Twisting at the waist, he swung them both around back and forth, their legs dangling off the ground as he kissed their foreheads.

"Bored? Feh! A prince and princess with a big shaggy dog to play with and they say they're bored. If I told my mama I was bored at your age, she would put a javelin in my hand. Baba would make me learn mathematics! Very difficult to do your multiplication tables on a galloping horse. But I understand how you feel. Your mama is an important lady. So is mine. I did not always understand why she had to go away so often."

"Ah..." Asif paused and let his children drop to the ground. "You must meet your cousin. This one is Salem. You remember your Ashiric and your manners?"

"Yeah! He's on a horse so he says it first, right? And he's got a lance."

"Mmhmm."

Salem nodded his approval, then turned out the palm of his hand as he gave a shallow bow towards the twins. "A shala elem. Ana Amir Salem il Roka."

The children returned the bow stiffly and repeated in unison, "A shala elem! Ana Amira Asha il Elu!" "Amir Reza il Elu!"

"Good good," said Asif, patting the twins on their heads. "My children will be proper Ashir farsan yet. I just need to take you ostrich hunting."

"And dye their kefiyehs in the blood of their enemies," Salem corrected, unflinching, but accurate.

"What are you, my mother?" Asif scoffed. "Don't listen to him. There will be no killing bandits until you're 16. Maybe 14. Ah! But I see your cousin Ramses now. Did you know you had a cousin who is half elf? Go say the shala to him. He'll be impressed!"
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2021-06-17 at 10:47 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ramses nodded politely

"This land may be cold, but I've come to appreciate few things are warmer than a mother's comfort, wouldn't you agree. I shall treat this candidate as my own, and show him all the wonders the Imperium has to offer."

Ramses then scans the crowd for his child bellowing

RASHIDI!

Like a squirrel, furtively scanning for predators, the 15-year-old elf presents a corn husk basket of fine southern silks, Simurgh feathers, and a brilliant sunstone necklace followed with a curtsy.

"May the Sun guide you in sight, and may the Moon protect you. Thank you for the opportunity madam empress."
    Elu's eyes lit up at the exotic goods and her fingers reached out to trail across the delicate silks and soft feathers.

"Thank you for your gifts, your presence the greatest of all." She smiled at the boy.

"I hope you will come to think of Uldra as a second home, even if the sun's hold on our land is not as great as in the South." She called to one of her guards and bid him lean close so she could whisper to him. He left and returned shortly with a teenaged boy clad in the robes of an acolyte.

"May I present Calien of Wolfenhall. He is of the noble line of Hiverness and an apprentice Waterbender. Quite talented, from what I understand." The boy bowed as the Empress was making her introductions.

"Calien, this is Prince Ramses of the Alodite. You will travel with him to the lands of the South and learn their ways. Rashidi will be staying here in your stead." She gestured to the Alodite boy.

"As you wish, Empress." Calien nodded his head in deference to his Empress.

Spoiler
    Show
    "You shower us with honor to speak so, your Majesty, and I will relay your kind words to my sister upon my first opportunity."

She bowed her head further, and scales across her head, neck, and shoulders seemed to ignite - no, they were simply shifting in color, changing from the sheen of amber to a glittering scarlet in slow, flickering patterns that might be recognizable to some as an especially colorful version of a polite smile for the Dhraan.

"The Truthseers have been a true boon to Lhungho Saar, as you are no doubt aware already, and we are pleased to find more friends in the north - especially in such turbulent times. I know my sister frets constantly about the state of affairs among the Children in Tarandi and their wellbeing - though perhaps their distance is their protection, in truth. It is nonetheless our - and here I do mean myself and my companions' - sincerest hope that this ritual might put to rest a source of that worry. I worry for my sister at times. As Empress, I am sure your crown must weigh all the heavier, and so I pray that you are able to find the rest you can from that burden when opportunity avails itself."

Those golden eyes, raised now to meet the Empress's own, carried in them a genuine concern despite their near-uniformity - nothing about them could rightfully be accused of being 'cold'.
    Elu smiled and touched her hand to the moon-carved ivory circlet that sat upon her brow.

"I try to think of it as a privilege, rather than a burden." Her face turned to the swirling red maelstrom in the distance.

"I'm successful some days more than others." Her smile turned playful for a moment before considering.

"Do your people keep animals as companions? I would send you with a parting gift after this is over, if you found the idea amenable." She squinted, annoyed with her lack of knowledge about her guests customs, but hoped it wasn't insulting to ask such a thing of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Epinephrine_Syn View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    It was a surprisingly long trip, even with increased modes of transportation. A small party of eight night elves were assembled to scope out this huge union. There wasn’t much that their empire had to contribute, aside from what they had already given, but it would be good to bear gifts and offer good wishes.

As well as to let Joy have an excuse to visit the northern reaches of the world. It was chilly, though unlike all the other elves who were cloaked in buffalo and mountain goat furs, she walked around with only her golden feathers and scales as if she were in the midst of the warm desert.

Flying overheard was also a good time to observe and see just how much ruin RUIN brought upon these lands, as well as the way these people were recovering from different diseases. Most importantly... to stay clear of the Island Fugue, a whole new plague that the night elven empire of the south had never heard of before, rumored to be just as bad as those that came before it.
    The Archmagi Huyana was the first to notice the newcomers and bid them welcome.

"Blessed be the Path that led to this meeting. I am Huyana, Archmagi of Eauden and servant of the Holy Uldran Empire. You are welcome here." She spoke graciously, a middle-aged human woman with dark hair and pale ice-blue eyes.

"My Empress is just beyond the large fire greeting dignitaries such as yourself, if you wish to make your greetings." She gestured, the largest firepit was had to miss, as was the throng of people surrounding Empress Elu.

Spoiler
    Show
    Asif dismounted and scooped his children off their wolf in nearly the same motion. Twisting at the waist, he swung them both around back and forth, their legs dangling off the ground as he kissed their foreheads.

"Bored? Feh! A prince and princess with a big shaggy dog to play with and they say they're bored. If I told my mama I was bored at your age, she would put a javelin in my hand. Baba would make me learn mathematics! Very difficult to do your multiplication tables on a galloping horse. But I understand how you feel. Your mama is an important lady. So is mine. I did not always understand why she had to go away so often."

"Ah..." Asif paused and let his children drop to the ground. "You must meet your cousin. This one is Salem. You remember your Ashiric and your manners?"

"Yeah! He's on a horse so he says it first, right? And he's got a lance."

"Mmhmm."

Salem nodded his approval, then turned out the palm of his hand as he gave a shallow bow towards the twins. "A shala elem. Ana Amir Salem il Roka."

The children returned the bow stiffly and repeated in unison, "A shala elem! Ana Amira Asha il Elu!" "Amir Reza il Elu!"

"Good good," said Asif, patting the twins on their heads. "My children will be proper Ashir farsan yet. I just need to take you ostrich hunting."

"And dye their kefiyehs in the blood of their enemies," Salem corrected, unflinching, but accurate.

"What are you, my mother?" Asif scoffed. "Don't listen to him. There will be no killing bandits until you're 16. Maybe 14. Ah! But I see your cousin Ramses now. Did you know you had a cousin who is half elf? Go say the shala to him. He'll be impressed!"
    "Daddy, cousin Shayan said that since I'm pretty, I don't have to do mathematics!" Asha informed her father in a very self-important tone. Her cousin Shayan had just turned thirteen, which made her an expert on life, as far as Asha was concerned.

"Daddy, can cousin Ramses see in the dark like we can? Where is he? I can only see old men over there!" Reza squinted as he tried to find any cousins his own age wandering around his mother.
    #Notallinfluencers

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

"Daddy, cousin Shayan said that since I'm pretty, I don't have to do mathematics!" Asha informed her father in a very self-important tone. Her cousin Shayan had just turned thirteen, which made her an expert on life, as far as Asha was concerned.

"Daddy, can cousin Ramses see in the dark like we can? Where is he? I can only see old men over there!" Reza squinted as he tried to find any cousins his own age wandering around his mother.
    "There! You see the one with the shiny bald head like a kidney bean, talking to your mother?" Asif stooped down to his children's level and pointed. "He's not that old for an elf, but... oh, sure enough he must be in his seventieth year now? When he was a boy, he came to live with the clan. This was long before I was born. Remember, your grandbaba is very old. We have a biiig family. But Ramses is one of us. He rides. He can see in the dark. Go! Go say a shala. Ask him if he'll give you an archery lesson. I hear he's pretty good!"

Nudging his son along, Asif held Asha back a moment, resting his chin on the top of her head. "Yes my darling; you are pretty. Your mama is pretty. Your grandmama Al-Zamira is pretty. You will grow up and be a very beautiful woman and be a lot of trouble and Shayan will be jealous of you. You still have to learn your maths. You want to be pretty and rich, right? If you want to be rich, you need to know if everyone is paying their taxes."
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2021-06-17 at 11:54 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Spoiler: Empress Elu
    Show
    Elu's eyes lit up at the exotic goods and her fingers reached out to trail across the delicate silks and soft feathers.

"Thank you for your gifts, your presence the greatest of all." She smiled at the boy.

"I hope you will come to think of Uldra as a second home, even if the sun's hold on our land is not as great as in the South." She called to one of her guards and bid him lean close so she could whisper to him. He left and returned shortly with a teenaged boy clad in the robes of an acolyte.

"May I present Calien of Wolfenhall. He is of the noble line of Hiverness and an apprentice Waterbender. Quite talented, from what I understand." The boy bowed as the Empress was making her introductions.

"Calien, this is Prince Ramses of the Alodite. You will travel with him to the lands of the South and learn their ways. Rashidi will be staying here in your stead." She gestured to the Alodite boy.

"As you wish, Empress." Calien nodded his head in deference to his Empress.
    Rashidi raises both his thumbs in approval chocking out a few select words.
    "That...that means a lot miss!"

Ramses hugged the reticent water bender.

"Greetings Calien, fear not, even in the great deserts of Sikar you'll be able to practice your magical arts in ways you can't even imagine ahaha"

"Worry not you shall be of my blood."

Spoiler: With the kids
    Show

"There! You see the one with the shiny bald head like a kidney bean, talking to your mother?" Asif stooped down to his children's level and pointed. "He's not that old for an elf, but... oh, sure enough he must be in his seventieth year now? When he was a boy, he came to live with the clan. This was long before I was born. Remember, your grandbaba is very old. We have a biiig family. But Ramses is one of us. He rides. He can see in the dark. Go! Go say a shala. Ask him if he'll give you an archery lesson. I hear he's pretty good!"

Nudging his son along, Asif held Asha back a moment, resting his chin on the top of her head. "Yes my darling; you are pretty. Your mama is pretty. Your grandmama Al-Zamira is pretty. You will grow up and be a very beautiful woman and be a lot of trouble and Shayan will be jealous of you. You still have to learn your maths. You want to be pretty and rich, right? If you want to be rich, you need to know if everyone is paying their taxes."

It didn't take much for Ramses to hear the kids prattle about him. Really, he only flinched a little when they made fun of his ceremonial Bald style, yes bald is a hairstyle, it's a DECISION. At that Ramses begins to walk with an exaggerated stomp. Ramses once again puffed up his chest and playfully chided.

"Wooaahh wooahh, I can't see in the dark! If I'm not careful I'll trot over some children horsing around! Besides, IM NOT OLD, I remember when Harun was a young man and spared frequently with him. Sparing that's what young people do right!"

Rashida jadedly replied, realizing it might be his last opportunity to get some jabs in for a while.

"Just because Harun's be resurrected doesn't mean he's old like you dad. And shaving your head doesn't mean you've beaten baldness."

Rashida stuck out his tongue before Ramses grabbed him scruffling the boy's hair, smelling his fresh perfume.

Turning to the other children Rashida muttered, "Its..its nice to meet you, you're both very pretty."
    Last edited by Lleban; 2021-06-18 at 01:33 AM.

Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Asha squinched up her little face.

"Counting bushels is boring." She admonished her father before turning her attention to the spectacle of Ramses and Rashidi.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rashidi raises both his thumbs in approval chocking out a few select words.
    "That...that means a lot miss!"

Ramses hugged the reticent water bender.

"Greetings Calien, fear not, even in the great deserts of Sikar you'll be able to practice your magical arts in ways you can't even imagine ahaha"

"Worry not you shall be of my blood."

Calien's eyes went wide in Ramses arms and he looked suddenly worried. He couldn't quite cover his relief when he was released and Ramses went to speak with the children.

"Cousin Ramses says I'm pretty too!" Asha dropped her argument with her father and went to greet the Alodite politely.

"A shala elem! Ana Amira Asha il Elu!"

"A shala elem! Amir Reza il Elu!" Reza followed her lead and they both stood in front of their older cousins like perfect angels.
    #Notallinfluencers

20. - Top - End - #20

"Sure." The other elf looked at her blunt response and sunny smile, nudging her a little, then squinting, then speaking outright instead. “Sure thing, Archmagi. My name is Luana, noble of the shale port, and we take your welcome warm to heart.”

They bowed, and a few stayed behind, but the golden scaled elf and one of the other night elves went up towards the fire pit. There were a lot of people there, and it wasn’t their place to interrupt. It did give them some time to converse in relative private, though.

“This isn’t like home, chilling in the hot spring with all three of your Queen sisters. You need to be formal, give pleasantries, not assume familiarity. Do a proper introduction. Do not just ‘yo, what up’? the Uldran Empress.”

They walked, and it was as if an imp was behind Joy’s face, smirking smugly. “You do realize by mentioning that I am now obligated to pr-“ “No. No you are not. I’m serious this time, we need to be on our be- look I’ll do the introduction.”
    ————————————

“Greetings, we are the nobles of the Hydran Empire, representing several merchants, officers, and members of the royalty. My name is Luana, and this is Joy, younger sister to the Sovereign.” She gave a deep bow, and Joy gave a bow of her head, prodded to do some more bowing from a hand pressed against her back.

”Despite our people having never met in person, we have communicated and worked with the people of tarandi both through the truthseers both to combat the plagues, and in this matter to help mend the wound in the world. It is an honor to meet you in person.”

Joy looked happy (happier than usual) with herself, and gave Luana a sideways glance, as if to say, ‘See, I’m not a total oaf’ to her compatriot.

———————————

Melose was one of those that stayed behind, never left her Simurgh at all in fact. She used it to move around like she glided on wings, and instead of talking to all of the important people at the festivities the rest of the night elves were mincing with, she instead made sure to check out the scenery and wildlife, pick some flowers for her great, great grandkids. There was so much life, and it was so different from Sikar or even Kiswa. She’d been to a hundred meetings with diplomats and royals, and while she was sure they were nice, what she really was here for was everything else this place had to offer.

Getting one of these special beasts for her two hundred and forty sixth birthday, in theory to act as an envoy for the empire, but really just as thanks for her centuries of service so she could see the world a few more times was an unexpected treat. It sure made up for losing the use of her legs. She was going to breathe in the fresh air, see the fauna from the lowest valleys, and watch the sun set from the differently angled highest mountaintops in the sunset of her life.
    Last edited by Epinephrine_Syn; 2021-06-18 at 02:23 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

"The honour is shared First Thane." Salana said with a polite bow, "As always your assistance in bringing an end to the ruinous forces is greatly appreciated. You and your riders should feel free to take this chance to rest and get something to eat before we begin. I'll not bore you with the minutiae of logistics and the deployment of troops, our seconds can handle that."

Spoiler
    Show
    As the Dhraan, creatures never before seen by any Viskari approached, the warriors guarding the camp tightened their grip on their bows in preparation to turn them away. Fortunately one of their commanders was on hand and knew what to expect so he barked out an order and they relaxed, though they still watched the strange beings closely just in case.

Spoiler
    Show
    Elu smiled warmly at Salana's offer.

"I would welcome you to ride by side, Ara Salana." Elu glanced at Huyana who nodded almost imperceptibly.

"I hate to ask more of you, but I feel the evening will require invocations from more of the faithful than just I. If one of your Magi would grace us with a prayer when the time comes, we would be grateful for the assistance."
    "Of course Empress, the Aranin Sarak of Aer Caladon has travelled specifically from Aran Viska to attend these proceedings," she said, "He is currently by the Lake preparing himself for the ordeal. I'm sure he will gladly add his prayers and invocations to yours."

Once the Ashir representatives had a moment of peace amidst reunions, they found themselves approached by a group of Viskari riders on large, shaggy horses with coats as black as night. Their leader was powerfully built and wore a hooded coat of thick, black wool trimmed with fine sable fur. A few dismounted, but their leader did not, and approached the still mounted Ashir.
    "I am Nar Jazredan Iskavan, Warchief of the Shade Riders and Master of Horses for the Viskari Host," he said with a polite bow of his head, "If you permit it my men will see to the wellbeing of your horses in the time we have before we ride for the lake. After all, you have clearly travelled a great distance and your horses will need all the strength they can muster should things not go as planned."
    He then jumped down from his horse with practiced ease and approached one of the Ashir horses before looking up at its rider.
    "May I examine your steed? I've not seen an Ashirian Horse in the flesh before."

Dragons!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

"You are welcome here, Lessa the Firecrown. It is an honor to have our fellow faithful by our side as we prepare to face the maelstrom of chaos left behind by RUIN." Elu smiled warmly at the other woman and nodded to her two companions in turn.

"I was just asking the Ara as well, I think the occasion calls for multiple invocations. If you might feel so inclined, I would ask for a prayer from the Solais delegation when the time comes to put the Grey Lake to rest."
    "Of course." That was understating it - Lessa would have been disappointed had this not been a group effort. It wasn't even about showing off, this time, she just suspected that putting the Carrion Ward to rest would be harder than setting it alight. The Solais had been growing in their understanding of magic for some time. It had been decades since it was just something the Dannu did on their behalf occasionally, but it was still untested in situations like this.

Still, one of the quirks of moon magic was that there were right times and wrong times to do things. They couldn't afford to wait for the next right time, so this was it. There was no need to explain that to the two groups there that knew this better than she did, though, so instead she only followed up with: "We shall await your cue and provide whatever assistance you require."

"The honour is shared, First Thane." Salana said with a polite bow, "As always your assistance in bringing an end to the ruinous forces is greatly appreciated. You and your riders should feel free to take this chance to rest and get something to eat before we begin. I'll not bore you with the minutiae of logistics and the deployment of troops, our seconds can handle that."
    The tiniest quirk of the lip came to the First Thane's face, wondering if Salana could possibly know of her origins - the tribal leader of the Sidhe Valley, the minutiae of logistics and the deployment of troops her very lifeblood, doubly so in the months of the Solais invasion of her home. "Such things would never bore me," she replied, gently enough, "however, I hardly brought enough in the way of riders to be involved in maneuvers at the strategic level, so your advice is well taken. Rest we will."

----------

Lessa was true enough to her word, sitting on the ground up against the imposing furred bulk of Ramoth - her third mount to have that name, owing to the passage of years, eating from her provisions and occasionally sharing them with her trusty wolf, though hardly unapproachable. She had a mind to talk to the Ashirans, at least, knowing that she was related startlingly closely to some of them, and it was this group she watched as she ate.

Her two introduced companions, however, broke off on their own to speak to others. Kylara chose to inflict herself on Ashir as well, though she approached them directly. Though she waited until conversation lulled to try to introduce herself. "A... a shallow elm. Is that how you say it?" At four foot nothing, Kylara of the Tower had long learned that she couldn't use her height to establish a presence. Typically she would have just done things the Solais Way, but she was being diplomatic. Or trying to.

Fergus, for his part, saw that the two groups he wanted to meet - the Alodites and the group from Lhungo Saar - were already talking, and instead stayed with the Star Watch. Young and athletic women both, they kept a silent vigil that kept the entire meeting within at least one of their fields of vision.

"So..." He mentioned to the first one. Brianna of the Feather, he recalled, sister to Imogen. "Your sister went to the-"

"I don't want to talk about it."

"Alright, apologies." He turned to the other a forest folk who had been in service much longer. "Do all of the First Thane's meetings with the other Eaudenites have this kind of... atmosphere?" A downright oppressive pall had hung over the gathering all evening, by his reckoning.

"No, Aspirant. This one is going much better than usual."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Epinephrine_Syn View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Sure." The other elf looked at her blunt response and sunny smile, nudging her a little, then squinting, then speaking outright instead. “Sure thing, Archmagi. My name is Luana, noble of the shale port, and we take your welcome warm to heart.”

They bowed, and a few stayed behind, but the golden scaled elf and one of the other night elves went up towards the fire pit. There were a lot of people there, and it wasn’t their place to interrupt. It did give them some time to converse in relative private, though.

“This isn’t like home, chilling in the hot spring with all three of your Queen sisters. You need to be formal, give pleasantries, not assume familiarity. Do a proper introduction. Do not just ‘yo, what up’? the Uldran Empress.”

They walked, and it was as if an imp was behind Joy’s face, smirking smugly. “You do realize by mentioning that I am now obligated to pr-“ “No. No you are not. I’m serious this time, we need to be on our be- look I’ll do the introduction.”
    ————————————

“Greetings, we are the nobles of the Hydran Empire, representing several merchants, officers, and members of the royalty. My name is Luana, and this is Joy, younger sister to the Sovereign.” She gave a deep bow, and Joy gave a bow of her head, prodded to do some more bowing from a hand pressed against her back.

”Despite our people having never met in person, we have communicated and worked with the people of tarandi both through the truthseers both to combat the plagues, and in this matter to help mend the wound in the world. It is an honor to meet you in person.”

Joy looked happy (happier than usual) with herself, and gave Luana a sideways glance, as if to say, ‘See, I’m not a total oaf’ to her compatriot.
    Elu smiled in amusement as Luana prodded Joy into a deeper bow and almost said it wasn't necessary, but thought better of it.

"Thank you for your kind greetings, I bid you welcome, though I wish our first meeting was being held under more auspicious circumstances." Elu nodded to the foreign dignitaries.

"I am grateful for your help with the Wind Stones, and the matter of the plagues. The latter of which we have largely cured, I understand, from the Truthseers wisdom." She paused and looked towards the maelstrom.

"I would welcome you back after the current... crises has been tempered. Please extend the invitation to your Sovereign as well."

[COLOR="#696969"]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Of course Empress, the Aranin Sarak of Aer Caladon has travelled specifically from Aran Viska to attend these proceedings," she said, "He is currently by the Lake preparing himself for the ordeal. I'm sure he will gladly add his prayers and invocations to yours."
    "Thank you." The Empress exhaled a sigh of relief, though tension was still evident in her shoulders.

"This feels like the biggest problem in the world right now, but that's a rather narrow view, isn't it? The world is far larger and there are greater dangers in it, I fear. We are playing our small part as much of the world goes on about their lives, unaware of our peril. Humbling, is it not?"

Spoiler
    Show
    "Of course." That was understating it - Lessa would have been disappointed had this not been a group effort. It wasn't even about showing off, this time, she just suspected that putting the Carrion Ward to rest would be harder than setting it alight. The Solais had been growing in their understanding of magic for some time. It had been decades since it was just something the Dannu did on their behalf occasionally, but it was still untested in situations like this.

Still, one of the quirks of moon magic was that there were right times and wrong times to do things. They couldn't afford to wait for the next right time, so this was it. There was no need to explain that to the two groups there that knew this better than she did, though, so instead she only followed up with: "We shall await your cue and provide whatever assistance you require."
    "Thank you, I feel more confident knowing others share my Path." Elu smiled warmly at Lessa, her face lighting up as if she'd just remembered something.

"Calien, son of Alemi, who is descended of Brekke, will be traveling to the distant realm of the Alodites to study their ways. I wish to keep his brother, Takoda, closer. Would you be amenable to host the boy? He is just turned thirteen."
    #Notallinfluencers

24. - Top - End - #24

Spoiler
    Show
    Elu smiled and touched her hand to the moon-carved ivory circlet that sat upon her brow.

"I try to think of it as a privilege, rather than a burden." Her face turned to the swirling red maelstrom in the distance.

"I'm successful some days more than others." Her smile turned playful for a moment before considering.

"Do your people keep animals as companions? I would send you with a parting gift after this is over, if you found the idea amenable." She squinted, annoyed with her lack of knowledge about her guests customs, but hoped it wasn't insulting to ask such a thing of them.
    "Indeed we do!" Thusaasha replied, with a broader, more heartfelt smile spreading across her scales in scintillating patterns.

"Of course, we Dhraan are too, ahem, high-statured to ride horse or hound as smaller folk are able. Falconry, though, is a favored pastime and Ubuukhanya especially seems to have a talent for it - birds just seem to adore her like no one else. Though I'm afraid I don't have the same luck - I think the steam bothers them too much to enjoy my company."
    Thusaasha felt the mentioning of a recent trend of Dhraan keeping thralls about as one would a pet was something better left unmentioned - especially as a trend which the royal family had been aware of but unable to devote resources to stamping out before it could become widespread...
    "I am sorry to say that we have no similar gifts to offer just now, though I am sure we could arrange for delivery upon our return, if your Majesty desired a flock of flamingoes for your own ponds?"

Spoiler
    Show
    As the Dhraan, creatures never before seen by any Viskari approached, the warriors guarding the camp tightened their grip on their bows in preparation to turn them away. Fortunately one of their commanders was on hand and knew what to expect so he barked out an order and they relaxed, though they still watched the strange beings closely just in case.
    Though his sister was focused on other matters, Naangandala's sour mood left him ruminating on how this whole affair might twist into dangerous directions - so it was of particular note when one of the commanders of those warriors surrounding the camp shouted for his men to stand down, and he took special care to try to lock the image of the officer's face in his mind, pausing at the edge of camp to lock eyes with him as they entered, before giving a single, slow nod of the head in acknowledgement and appreciation, looming over even the mounted soldiers nearest him.

Not all such encounters on the journey north had ended so peaceably.
    Sincerely,
    Role P. Geek

25. - Top - End - #25

Spoiler: Talking with the youths
    Show
    Asha squinched up her little face.

"Counting bushels is boring." She admonished her father before turning her attention to the spectacle of Ramses and Rashidi.

Calien's eyes went wide in Ramses arms and he looked suddenly worried. He couldn't quite cover his relief when he was released and Ramses went to speak with the children.

"Cousin Ramses says I'm pretty too!" Asha dropped her argument with her father and went to greet the Alodite politely.

"A shala elem! Ana Amira Asha il Elu!"

"A shala elem! Amir Reza il Elu!" Reza followed her lead and they both stood in front of their older cousins like perfect angels.
    [/SPOILER]

"A shala elem! Ana Ramses of The West !"

"A shala elem! Ann.. no Ona, no Una? Wait Ana, Ana Rashidi, Sorry!"

Rashidi cheeks flushed a bright red completing his russet elfen skin tones. His Ashiric was tragically out of practice, not that it would stop him.

"Oh OH, Asha, Reza, is it true that it snows every day, that rainbows appear at night, that there are wolves the size of lions?"

Spoiler: Troll time
    Show
    [COLOR="#FFBF00"]

"Well enough, at least, that my sister saw fit to appoint him as captain of the guard. If he did not appear preoccupied with making sure the Bannandans don't snatch away Ubuukhanya through the time-honored means of glaring at them, I'd suggest you ask him yourself."

She gestures at where the famed archer appeared to be doing just that, though with marginally more subtlety than Thusaasha had given him credit for, as he made a show of warming himself by a fire and looking around the camp - through his eyes would always come back to the delegation from Limdimon at regular intervals.

"But, yes. My sister requested I take the princess with me to pay our respects to the Empress, bear witness, and so on and so forth. I, however, am quite sure the greater part of her motivation lay in Tarandi's... relative stability as of late."

The half-troll watched her niece as she tried and failed to avoid being awkward in a camp for beings rather smaller than herself while also fulfilling her own curiosity in silence for a few seconds before settling back and down onto her knees with a grunt and sigh - more for the relief it offered than any gesture of deference.

"I...could call Maat over if you wished? I am sure Ubuukhanya would adore someone new to talk to once she's done gawking, too. Failing those meager attempts to redirect your attention before I embarrass myself with my scant knowledge of the customs of your people and indeed unfamiliarity with your name, though - I am Thusaasha, but my friends call my Saasha. How fares my brother's old apprentice, the potter's son - I believe his name was Shevu?"

Ramses, with the look of a stern teacher, began to mentally poke and prod at this chimeric creature. It calls itself Saasha, but with Kiswan's it was always something.

"You may bring Maat if you wish, but tell me what do you know of the peoples to your west."

Ramses paused staring intently while pursuing his hands together over his mouth.

"Hmm Shevu is fine, if he is as good as advertised, then he'll prove himself on the battle field this campaign season. Rebellious cultists maddened by the Black Pharoah's rise, if he can kill them to the last, then he'll earn a seat at the Empress's court. Tell me what tribe does Shevu come from, how do the elves live in your realm."

Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Once the Ashir representatives had a moment of peace amidst reunions, they found themselves approached by a group of Viskari riders on large, shaggy horses with coats as black as night. Their leader was powerfully built and wore a hooded coat of thick, black wool trimmed with fine sable fur. A few dismounted, but their leader did not, and approached the still mounted Ashir.
    "I am Nar Jazredan Iskavan, Warchief of the Shade Riders and Master of Horses for the Viskari Host," he said with a polite bow of his head, "If you permit it my men will see to the wellbeing of your horses in the time we have before we ride for the lake. After all, you have clearly travelled a great distance and your horses will need all the strength they can muster should things not go as planned."
    He then jumped down from his horse with practiced ease and approached one of the Ashir horses before looking up at its rider.
    "May I examine your steed? I've not seen an Ashirian Horse in the flesh before."
    There were four riders with obviously foreign horses, waiting nearer the empress, but still far enough away to not be a bother while she greeted a steady stream of well-wishers. A fifth was farther off, still speaking with Elu's consort. Among the group of four, one was clearly a Dannu woman with graying hair and Dannu dress. The other three were more what one would expect from the sultanate, though with finer clothes and far more jewelry -- opulent trappings for a diplomatic visit.

One of the men said something in their language, some string of hissing and sighing followed by a self-amused chuckle. The young woman nearer him made an equivocating gesture, bobbling her head in a sort of figure eight pattern. The one the Warchief addressed regarded him with cold green eyes for a moment, touching a hand to her black lace veil and drawing it higher across her face. The white stallion she sat on seemed to feel the same way. She relaxed a moment later, letting the veil fall away as she pulled her hood back, revealing loose auburn hair and a hammered white gold circlet on her brow.

"Our horses are fresh, watered, and fed. But thank you." She at least spoke Dannu and Uldran fluently, albeit with a heavy accent that smoothed out the vowels, and put a lilting emphasis on the wrong syllables. "We set out late this morning with the empress. It has been... leisurely."

Sikarian sources claimed an otherwise unburdened war party of Ashir could make fifty miles in a night, without changing mounts. Messengers could cover twice that distance. Centuries of careful breeding had created a lean animal with an efficient gait. Zidan il Kasima was an eccentric old wizard, a curious exception among a people who built nothing. The Ashir were not smiths, nor farmers, nor sailors. They had bred a horse to conquer the desert.

"This one is Ahmed. His sire was Zahir Al-Rahan, so you are in luck. The Zahirah are our finest," said the princess, gathering up the material of her loose fitting trousers before she slipped from the saddle to land spritely on her toes. She might have been tall in some cultures, but she looked diminutive next to one of the Viskari. "I am Amira Azra il Roka. Be at peace, Nar Jazredan Iskavan. And please, take your time."

Azra gestured to Ahmed, then went to nuzzle his head and stroke his brow. This seemed to calm the stallion, who had begun to stamp impatiently and snort, mistrustful of anyone not from his tribe.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2021-06-18 at 09:32 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    "Indeed we do!" Thusaasha replied, with a broader, more heartfelt smile spreading across her scales in scintillating patterns.

"Of course, we Dhraan are too, ahem, high-statured to ride horse or hound as smaller folk are able. Falconry, though, is a favored pastime and Ubuukhanya especially seems to have a talent for it - birds just seem to adore her like no one else. Though I'm afraid I don't have the same luck - I think the steam bothers them too much to enjoy my company."
    Thusaasha felt the mentioning of a recent trend of Dhraan keeping thralls about as one would a pet was something better left unmentioned - especially as a trend which the royal family had been aware of but unable to devote resources to stamping out before it could become widespread...
    "I am sorry to say that we have no similar gifts to offer just now, though I am sure we could arrange for delivery upon our return, if your Majesty desired a flock of flamingoes for your own ponds?"
    "Flamingoes?" Elu cocked her head in askance and smiled ruefully.

"I'm afraid I've never seen the birds of which you speak." She supposed anything that gathered in flocks must be a bird.

"But if you think they could survive our climate, I would welcome the gift!" She smiled and clasped her hands in genuine excitement, looking very much like the young woman she was for a moment.

"I will send a pair of Northern Huskies with you, I am certain that in time, they will accept you as their new pack."

Spoiler
    Show

"A shala elem! Ana Ramses of The West !"

"A shala elem! Ann.. no Ona, no Una? Wait Ana, Ana Rashidi, Sorry!"

Rashidi cheeks flushed a bright red completing his russet elfen skin tones. His Ashiric was tragically out of practice, not that it would stop him.

"Oh OH, Asha, Reza, is it true that it snows every day, that rainbows appear at night, that there are wolves the size of lions?"
    Asha tilted her head in the same manner as her mother had a habit of doing.

"It's not snowing NOW is it cousin Ramses?" She held her arms out as if to punctuate her point.

"Yeah, it's not snowing NOW!" Reza yell dissolved into giggles and Asha tugged on his sleeve. The twins exchanged a glance and suddenly, their manner turned serious as Reza opened a waterbag and poured its contents on the ground.

"We can make it snow! Just wait!" Reza took a deep breath and began to move in practiced forms. His sister joined him and the water changed into mist that gathered above their heads and turned into snow with a poof. They laughed and capered beneath it as it fell lightly upon their upturned faces.
    #Notallinfluencers

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

"Hail and well-met, Princess Antitnila." Elu greeted the one who had been introduced to her.

"I hope the Tarandian climate is not too great a hardship for you. Please send my regards to Kiswa when you rejoin your father, though whether or not RUIN will be put to rest lies in the hands of Eauden. I hope we will not disappoint you." Her smile was modest as she sought to temper expectations.

"If we are indeed successful today, it will be at least in part due to the Truthseers vigilance against chaos, you have our gratitude for your assistance with the Wind Stones. I am happy to call friends of the Truthseers friends of Uldra as well." She nodded graciously to the two women, happy to make an acquaintance from the distant continent at long last.
    "In truth my father was grateful for any excuse to send someone to make contact with Tarandi. It has always seemed the most distant land, but we have long heard tales of your struggles with the Agent of Ruin. Those elements of Tarandian culture which had reached us before had been somewhat... unsavoury," she said. "But my mother's people have spoken highly of the Eaudenites, and I gather our overlady the Matji has an alliance of sorts with the Noctrix. Unfortunately for several years now it has been impossible to make the journey: whether plague or blight, something has always seemed to prevent it."

She nodded towards the Ashir. "I see my cousins are here. Are you familiar with the Ashir?"

Maat the Archer

Ivigamta sauntered over to the fire where the Alodite prince waited.

"I can't blame you for looking but if you want to bone me you're going to have to do better than that. Besides, haven't you been told it's rude to stare, or are manners in general something that doesn't get taught to elves?"
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Her two introduced companions, however, broke off on their own to speak to others. Kylara chose to inflict herself on Ashir as well, though she approached them directly. Though she waited until conversation lulled to try to introduce herself. "A... a shallow elm. Is that how you say it?" At four foot nothing, Kylara of the Tower had long learned that she couldn't use her height to establish a presence. Typically she would have just done things the Solais Way, but she was being diplomatic. Or trying to.
    Salem still sat in the saddle with his lance resting over one shoulder. Two wide bronze spearheads separated by a length of sturdy palm wood, over twelve feet in length -- the lance was said to be the archetypal weapon of the desert nomads. The truth was, the lance was a secondary weapon. Ashir only charged into melee to exploit unbalanced or broken enemy ranks, preventing reformation, or turning an untidy retreat into a panicked rout. Most lance wounds were inflicted in the back or hamstring. Some peoples viewed the tactic of cutting down fleeing enemies as dishonorable. Those people had never won a battle against the Ashir.

Between the two men, there was a strong family resemblance: straight noses like statues, pleasing eyes like a calligrapher's brushstroke, thick black eyebrows, mostly straight hair worn long. Both had their eyes lined with kahal, some mixture of palm oil, wood ash, and powdered stibmite. Ignoring the horses, that was the way to pick the Ashir out in a crowd. They always painted their eyes. Salem was the thinner of the two, less muscled, more snakelike or catlike. Sitting politely near his horse's front legs was a spotted hunting cat -- evidently Salem's pet. The resemblance was uncanny once you noticed.

"I've heard worse," Salem said, slinking off his saddle just as his twin sister had moments before. "One man said to me something like... a salam elaykum? No idea what that was about. We say, a shala elem. A shala, at peace. El em, you are. I am at peace. You are at peace. We'll continue to be peaceful and no one gets stabbed. Civilization continues. Pretty good deal, yeah?"
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2021-06-19 at 05:49 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

"Thank you, I feel more confident knowing others share my Path." Elu smiled warmly at Lessa, her face lighting up as if she'd just remembered something.

"Calien, son of Alemi, who is descended of Brekke, will be traveling to the distant realm of the Alodites to study their ways. I wish to keep his brother, Takoda, closer. Would you be amenable to host the boy? He is just turned thirteen."
    "Of course. Brekke would want it that way, I'm sure. Would he want to stay in Star's End or would Cathair na Realtai be more his speed? Ah, why not show him the Empire?" Lessa rubbed her chin. "Though... we may have to skip the Sidhe Valley until he's older. The mists are not for everyone. My point is that I will keep him safe as long as he is my guest, you have my word."

Salem still sat in the saddle with his lance resting over one shoulder. Two wide bronze spearheads separated by a length of sturdy palm wood, over twelve feet in length -- the lance was said to be the archetypal weapon of the desert nomads. The truth was, the lance was a secondary weapon. Ashir only charged into melee to exploit unbalanced or broken enemy ranks, preventing reformation, or turning an untidy retreat into a panicked rout. Most lance wounds were inflicted in the back or hamstring. Some peoples viewed the tactic of cutting down fleeing enemies as dishonorable. Those people had never won a battle against the Ashir.

Between the two men, there was a strong family resemblance: straight noses like statues, pleasing eyes like a calligrapher's brushstroke, thick black eyebrows, mostly hair worn long. Both had their eyes lined with kahal, some mixture of palm oil, wood ash, and powdered stibmite. Ignoring the horses, that was the way to pick the Ashir out in a crowd. They always painted their eyes. Salem was the thinner of the two, less muscled, more snakelike or catlike. Sitting politely near his horse's front legs was a spotted hunting cat -- evidently Salem's pet. The resemblance was uncanny once you noticed.

"I've heard worse," Salem said, slinking off his saddle just as his twin sister had moments before. "One man said to me something like... a salam elaykum? No idea what that was about. We say, a shala elem. A shala, at peace. El em, you are. I am at peace. You are at peace. We'll continue to be peaceful and no one gets stabbed. Civilization continues. Pretty good deal, yeah?"
    Kylara's expression turned strange for a moment. "You are at peace" was the sort of thing Solais riders said to their enemies after the wolves were done with them, having replaced "you are already dead" due to how silly a warrior looked when they didn't manage to land the killing blow after invoking the latter. However, due to her recent teachings under her more diplomatic cousin, she refrained from verbalizing those thoughts. Instead, her features smoothed out into a gentle smile. "One would think so, but it doesn't work out that way nearly often enough. I confess that even having seen Regent Zidan's horse, I still wasn't ready for the size of your mounts. We have our own, of course, but not like this. Travel would be far less tolerable without mounts of this caliber, I'm sure." She took a breath, growing more at ease. "Speaking of, did you take the western route through the valley or the southern one through the mountains? Or perhaps skip across Rankalore and come from the east? I'm quite curious about your experiences there either way."
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2021-06-21 at 02:17 PM.