New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [5e] Ravnica Criminal Game (IC)

Life in the Tenth District is never dull. A hub of constant activity, it always offers a new opportunity, a new challenge, a new intrigue. It is a place where a promising adventurer like you can find your path to glory, riches, or power through your allegiance to the Orzhov Syndicate. But first, you’ll need a job that will help you prove your worth.

Today is your lucky day. This afternoon, you received a brief note from your contact in the Syndicate, Nikka. “I have an opportunity for you, a chance to show your value to the Guild. Meet me at the Orzhov Basilica at dusk.

At the appointed time, you find yourself gathered with other like-minded individuals outside the front door to the magnificent Orzhov Basilica. Guarding the door and collecting admission is a hulking thrull, its moldering greyish flesh studded with hooks and barbs of black iron, especially the oversized, shovel-like hands. The flesh seems to have woven, topiary-like, around the lattices of metal, turning its left arm into a shield of iron and studded bone and its right into a reaping hook. Its distorted proportions give it surprising reach.

Yet over this hideousness is draped the regalia of the Church; the blue ephod and the breastplate of brass and semi-precious stones, the high collar and the burnished circular mask forged of devalued coins. The mask protects you, undoubtedly, from whatever atrocity this thing calls a face; it is also etched, mostly unusually, with a word: VIATICUM. An epithet? A name?

The creature gestures, pointedly, at the alms box before it will allow you to enter.
    Last edited by esorscher; 2021-06-17 at 07:41 PM.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: [5e] Ravnica Criminal Game (IC)

Vernon was having a stroll through the streets talking with a fellow guildmember of unimportant matters. Today he had at least intended to take a day off, send a message to his friend to perhaps take a trip to the Rakdos for another blood carnival. Sadly this would not be the case as he received the letter, excusing himself from his company he read it. He was parts dissapointed, intruiged and exited to have something happen. Something told him it was more than just the regular grunt work. "Interesting...Wonder what she has to offer..." He says to himself, looking up at the sky to gauge the time. "I'll take a slow walk there and I should be in time." After some time of more walking he arrived at the entrance of the basilica.

Vernon is a portly man seemingly in his early thirties, cleanly shaved head with an obvious double chin. He wears gaudy clothes fit for a noble with the colors of the guild with no finger or shown peice of skin without some kind of jewelry. It frankly rustles from the chains and armbands around his wrists as he moves his hands, twirling a walking cane of equal elegance and affluence. His eyes always gleam of ambition and has an unsettling smirk at all times. He looks towards the gate guardian at the basilica, makes note of its gesture to the alms box, studies it for sometime as if he is intruiged. "Gruesome one arent you?" He says as he leans forward, rubbing his chin before then moving over to the alms box, taking out a single coin and dropping it in to the box before moving past the thrull in short order.
    Last edited by Nyan; 2021-06-18 at 09:06 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

The thrull growls, low and mumbling, which is pretty usual for a thrull, and turns its head to follow Vernon's progress into the room. Which is not. Viaticum turns its attention back to the door.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Mithval is sitting in his office. A lackey runs in. She puts a paper on his desk, leaves. A note, from Nikka. "Hmph." He scowls. Pockets the note. Stands up. Leaves.

He arrives at the Basilica. Promptly. His mouth is tight. Eyelids half-closed. Eyes straight. Hand clutching the note. He puts an alm in the box. Eyes never leaving the thrull. His hand greets Vernon, his eyes don't.
    Spoiler: Moskra Rhadan
    Show

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1638...ew?usp=sharing

Designed using Fantasy RPG Creator on meiker.io, software designed by aklarkwood.com.

Spoiler: Bad Guys Win Campaign Links
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5

DruidGirl

When it becomes clear no one else is coming, the thrull unwinds flesh from its accessories enough to manifest a spindly fan of corpse fingers, which it uses to shut the door and bar it. Then it trudges into the basilica, itself. Apparently, whatever this party is about, this thing has an invitation too.

Ominous!

From behind the mask, Viaticum studies the others with the slow, dull-edged instrument of its brain. An opportunity to serve the guild in any way other than door duty is nothing to sneeze at, if thrulls sneezed, which they don't. It's worked with some other syndics recently, or at least in the clear patch in the fog it thinks of as 'recently.' Not with these two, though. Probably not, unless they did something tricky like cut their hair or change their clothes.

6. - Top - End - #6

Light rain begins to patter on the cobblestones as the sun sets behind the spires and towers of the city. The ostiary thrull beckons you inside, and into the grand space used for worship. Services are not in session, but seated in the pews in apparent silent prayer is your contact, Nikka. The human woman wears well-tailored clothing, befitting her station. At your approach, she turns, rising.

Follow me,” she says, leading you down the central aisle and through a door to the right of the altar, into a small room used for preparation by the priests. She gestures to a table, around which are arranged sufficient seating. The thrull follows behind you.

No refreshments are offered. Once you are comfortable, Nikka tosses a badge on the center of the table. You recognize it immediately: an Orzhov charm.

I’m not giving it to you. One of our contacts caught a goblin trying to pawn it. The question is, where did it come from? That’s what you need to find out. Someone has a cache of these, and is supplying them to the Guildless. Find out who, how, and put a stop to it--quietly. Any questions?
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

7. - Top - End - #7

RedWizardGuy

Mithval leans in. "If all these charms were stolen, we'd know from where. The cache must belong to someone in a position of power. Capable of manufacturing them or siphoning them off from a manufacturer without any raised eyebrows. Someone tasked with administering them, perhaps. A narrow list."
    Last edited by Leostales; 2021-06-21 at 10:33 PM.
    Show

Designed using Fantasy RPG Creator on meiker.io, software designed by aklarkwood.com.

Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Vernons steps would sound with audible clacks against the pathway in to the chapel propper, echoing through the chamber, making audiable taps with his cane as to herald his comming. Humming on a cheerfull tune as he processed towards where Nikka was sitting. As she rose and turned in his direction Vernon tossed up his cane a bit, catching it in the middle before he with a flourish, bowed towards her. His jewerly rustling audibly as he did. "Dearest Nikka. Stunning as always." He said with a tone some could take as complimentary or insidious... Depending on your disposition to Vernon of course. When he followed her he would chuckle allitle to himself, eyeing her up and down. His gaze lingering on all the inapropriate places but never long enough for her to notice. However he did turn his head to look over towards Mithval, making it very obvious to the Vedalken where he was staring when looking at Nikka.

With a gesture of his finger he would send him a telepathic message. <"Now dont you wish she wasn't of the cloth? I sure do."> He would give Mithval the sleaziest grin he could before laughing allitle, turning to look forward again. Vernon was a known lecher and worse. No sin was beneath him and most individuals would recoil at his predatory gaze. He was not a man you wanted to meet alone in the streets... But he would never push his luck with someone important to his ambitions. So Nikka was, luckily, off limits in his mind.

When they entered the room for the preists of the church he frowned visibly at the lack of refreshments but none the less sat down. The chair creaking from his weight as he sighed deeply, putting some weight on the cane first before leaning back. When Nikka then tossed a charm of the Orzhov on to the table he raised an eyebrow perplexed, several ridges of skin folding on his forehead as he did. When she explained the situation he studied her carefully, nodding every now and then and scratching his chin as he thought. When she was done and asked if he had questions he gave her an suggestive look and a grin. "Yes my dear...One." He leans back in the chair, not breaking eyecontact. "What's in it for me?~" He chuckles. "You mentioned in your letter an oppertunity to prove myself to the guild...But you know me by now Nikki dearest. I dont work in vauge promises... What exactly can you do for me, should I take on this task?...In the name of the guild of course." He watched her carefully, was he toying with her? It was hard to tell...But those who knew Vernon this was how he did things. Always trying to squeeze out the tiniest bit of reward, coin or advantage he could from anything he dealt with.

Spoiler: IMPORTANT
    Show
    I wanna make things perfectly clear I am not intending to play out any acts of adult nature. I am simply playing vernon as a creep of the highest order without having to go in to too much detail. Should any one of you feel I am going to far at any point PLEASE let me know and I will dail back the creep factor or stop entierly.
    Last edited by Nyan; 2021-06-21 at 10:54 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Nikka ignores the undertones of Vernon's inquiry, stating matter of factly, "If you’re successful, you’ll have earned a place in our organization. If you fail, well, let’s just say you aren’t the only people we’ve given this assignment to.” She looks pointedly at Vernon, then at the thrull. “You are, however, the only people we’re giving access to this thrull, in case you run into trouble you can’t talk your way out of. Consider it a favor from us to you,” she says, indicating a certain obligation to be repaid.

In response to Mithval's line of thinking, she says, "Our charms are stored in a secure location, one that I'm sure you'll understand I'm unwilling to make public. They have, of course, since been moved. The goblin we took this off was Guildless, so it’s not like we have any obvious links to him. We caught him trying to sell it on Tin Street, in the Fourth District."
    Last edited by esorscher; 2021-06-21 at 11:02 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nyan View Post
    . However he did turn his head to look over towards Mithval, making it very obvious to the Vedalken where he was staring when looking at Nikka. With a gesture of his finger he would send him a telepathic message. <"Now dont you wish she wasn't of the cloth? I sure do."> He would give Mithval the sleaziest grin he could before laughing allitle, turning to look forward again.
    An eyebrow raises at the message, not within Nikka's sight. The Vedalken remains unchanged, otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by esorscher View Post
    In response to Mithval's line of thinking, she says, "Our charms are stored in a secure location, one that I'm sure you'll understand I'm unwilling to make public. They have, of course, since been moved. The goblin we took this off was Guildless, so it’s not like we have any obvious links to him. We caught him trying to sell it on Tin Street, in the Fourth District."
    "So, I am right to suspect that it is one of our own, but who would endanger a prominent position for a paltry sum. Perhaps someone who is falling out of favor." Mithval strokes his chin. "Have the Azorius become involved in this? This is an issue they would love to meddle in."
    Show

Show

11. - Top - End - #11

DruidGirl

The thrull eyes are fixed on the badge; the dagger-rayed sun of the Orzhov, the same symbol burned magically into its flesh.

(The form of the sigil is just as important as the sigil itself. If it's carried on a medallion, its bearer is a master. If it's tattooed on the body, its bearer is a slave.)

Like every thrull, the sinews of Viaticum's body are animated by loyalty to the guild; the enormous disrespect of this crime (and to a lesser extent, of the murmured conversation), provokes another low growl. Yet perversely, this deviation from dull placidity is exactly the kind of independence that was supposed to be expunged by that branding.
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2021-06-22 at 08:31 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Vernon watched Nikka carefully as she responded and his smile would only grow as she explained the nature of the thrull. "Oh she is good...We are doing her a favor and yet she manages to make us owe her...Impressive." He thinks to himself as he observes the thrull before responding to Nikka, his grin not changing. "How kind of you to care so much of our well being. I am oh so humbled by your gesture." He says with a flourish of his hand and a nod of his head as he tries to bow, but his figure not really letting him do much but slightly lurch forward as he is still seated. He then pays note to the growls the thrull makes and looks at it once more. "Vocal that one..." He says with a little smirk not really intending his comment to be replied to.

To Mithvals theories he would then look over to him and reply. "I doubt it would be one of ours to do such a thing...Unless he was of course doing it to blame it on someone else. There is no gain in selling those to the guildless. Frankly there are easier ways of getting coin that does not even put you at risk with the guilds wrath. But we can speculate as much as we want without really getting anywhere. I think we should not bother dear Nikka with unnecessary questions and get to work. We can speculate as we go."

13. - Top - End - #13

Nikka nods in agreement with Vernon's statement regarding speculating. "If I knew any more, I'd share it with you. The Azorius haven't gotten involved yet, and we'd like to keep it that way. Suffice it to say if the other guilds become involved, we’ll be exposed. Obviously, we want to avoid that."

Unless there is anything else, you depart. As you are leaving, Nikka tosses a large black robe at Viaticum's feet. "Put that on. An Orzhov thrull wandering around the city is going to raise questions." It is sufficiently large and hooded to conceal Viaticum's nature from a passing glance, though obviously unsuitable for such a purpose under direct inspection.

It doesn't take long to get to the Fourth District, and Tin Street remains a bustling market area, busy with the flow of merchants, entertainers, shoppers, and revelers. Theaters and taverns are opening up for the night, and on corners and in front of their establishments, hawkers advertise music, comedy, drama, or whatever else might catch your interest.

Spoiler
    Show
    Make an Investigation check and a Perception check.

14. - Top - End - #14

DruidGirl

A thrull draped in a cloak looks like.... a shambling heap of corpse someone draped a cloak over. The worst part is probably the fingers dangling like dead branches from the sleeves.

Behind its mask, Viaticum takes in the street and thinks violent almost-thoughts about the miserable creatures betraying the Guild by selling badges illegally.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+3)[22]

Investigation: (1d20-1)[9]

15. - Top - End - #15

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nyan View Post
    To Mithvals theories he would then look over to him and reply. "I doubt it would be one of ours to do such a thing...Unless he was of course doing it to blame it on someone else. There is no gain in selling those to the guildless. Frankly there are easier ways of getting coin that does not even put you at risk with the guilds wrath. But we can speculate as much as we want without really getting anywhere. I think we should not bother dear Nikka with unnecessary questions and get to work. We can speculate as we go."
    "If the thief were an outsider, we'd already be certain of it. Nevertheless, I agree Tin Street is a logical place to begin the investigation."

Nikka nods in agreement with Vernon's statement regarding speculating. "If I knew any more, I'd share it with you. The Azorius haven't gotten involved yet, and we'd like to keep it that way. Suffice it to say if the other guilds become involved, we’ll be exposed. Obviously, we want to avoid that."

It doesn't take long to get to the Fourth District, and Tin Street remains a bustling market area, busy with the flow of merchants, entertainers, shoppers, and revelers. Theaters and taverns are opening up for the night, and on corners and in front of their establishments, hawkers advertise music, comedy, drama, or whatever else might catch your interest.

Spoiler
    Show
    Make an Investigation check and a Perception check.
    Mithval's head remains straight as they walk through tin street, his eyes move in all directions.

Spoiler: Checks
    Show
    Investigation: (1d20+4)[18]
    Perception: (1d20+4)[8]
    Show

Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Vernon would look around carefully as they entered the third district. He enjoyed the sights and the smells but he hardly had time to partake in anything besides his task, as much as he disliked it.

Spoiler: ROLLS
    Show
    Investigation: (1d20+3)[17]
    Perception: (1d20+5)[24]

17. - Top - End - #17

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Viaticum is not especially adept at gathering rumors, but Vernon and Mithval are able to find out some information. Specifically:

• Vero, a Rakdos cultist, has been flashing significant coin in the Rakdos bars on Tin Street lately, bragging about being “discovered” by a new patron.
    • Some goblins were pulling up a sewer grate at a very early hour west of the plaza. They didn’t look like maintenance workers and threatened anyone who came too close. The approximate location of this incident is obtained.

As you continue your investigation, Viaticum and Vernon notice a goblin following from about sixty feet back. He doesn't seem to have noticed you noticing him.

18. - Top - End - #18

DruidGirl

Viaticum mutters to itself, and stoops to bring its mouth closer to the others. This action has the unfortunate (for them) results of bringing the rest of itself closer, too.

"goblin....." it hisses, which is probably quite unexpected. Thrulls can talk--that is, given their varied morphology, a talking thrull is certainly possible--but they so rarely have any reason to. "following."
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2021-06-25 at 02:33 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

RedWizardGuy

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Viaticum is not especially adept at gathering rumors, but Vernon and Mithval are able to find out some information. Specifically:

• Vero, a Rakdos cultist, has been flashing significant coin in the Rakdos bars on Tin Street lately, bragging about being “discovered” by a new patron.
    • Some goblins were pulling up a sewer grate at a very early hour west of the plaza. They didn’t look like maintenance workers and threatened anyone who came too close. The approximate location of this incident is obtained.
    "We should examine the goblins first," says Mithval. "We can question the Rakdos anytime, but any clues the goblins left may vanish if we delay."

Quote Originally Posted by TriciaOso View Post
    Viaticum mutters to itself, and stoops to bring its mouth closer to the others. This action has the unfortunate (for them) results of bringing the rest of itself closer, too.

"goblin....." it hisses, which is probably quite unexpected. Thrulls can talk--that is, given their varied morphology, a talking thrull is certainly possible--but they so rarely have any reason to. "following."
    Blank look at the thrull. Mithval looks forward. No change in his walk or posture. "Let him."
    Show

Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Vernon as he takes in all the information he can, he was good at this. Something that is a very valuable skill to know for someone like him...Surrounded by crowds of people you think that your conversation goes unheard, that no one would pay attention to the little chatter you and your friend have about sensitive subjects. But Vernon always listens and many times when people simply forget there are those around that could hear...Vernon learns something new to exploit them with. What he also has become good at is to notice that he is being followed... He then raises an eyebrow at the Thrull who approaches and to his surprise utters two words. "Yes...I did notice as well, good eye~" It wasn't a genuine compliment, more like that one would give a child who just doesn't know better. Even clapping his hands quietly in a mocking fashion. He then turned his attention to Mithval as he commented on their findings. "I think you are right my blue friend...Infact I know a shortcut through here." He spoke this aloud, intending for the goblin to hear. At the same time he sent a telepathic message to Mithval. <"Lets just walk in to the nearest alley, ill put our goblin friend to sleep and then we can question him.">

Assuming his companion agrees to his plan, including the Thrull of course but it would follow them no matter where they went. Vernon would make his way down an alley, making sure there are no one around and once he found such a place would wait as he prepares to cast his spell for when the goblin made itself visible.

Spoiler: ACTIONS
    Show
    So will do like mentioned in the ooc. Go down an alley and then when the goblin follows cast sleep. Rolling the dice here hopefully hitting his max hp.
    Sleep dice: (5d8)[22]

21. - Top - End - #21

Assuming no one objects to Vernon's plan, the goblin follows you down the alleyway--from a distance--and is put to sleep just beyond the entrance to the alleyway. Although traffic continues flowing in either direction, at this time of the evening, the passers-by are more focused on their important business of self-inebriation than on what may be happening.

22. - Top - End - #22

RedWizardGuy

"Let's get this goblin into an interrogation room." Mithval makes sure no one is watching. "He'll be more prone to talk in isolation."
    Show

Show

23. - Top - End - #23

DruidGirl

Viaticum obediently slings the small form over its shoulder, looking very obviously like a huge monster carrying a snoring goblin.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Vernon raises an eyebrow at Mithval. "Didn't you just say we shouldn't spend too much time? Besides it's not like I have any access to any rooms unless you want him in my basment...And lets just say that its currently occupied." He smirks, was it a joke? One could not really be sure but it would not be outside of Vernons character... "Lets just walk allitle bit futher in to the alley, have our wonderful escort here." He gestures to the thrull. "Stand by the entrance to the alley and you and me can have a quick chat with the creature no? I'm sure we can get along just fine without having to make the thing squeel like a pig...And if it does we knock him out again and I have a backup plan. What do you think?"

25. - Top - End - #25

RedWizardGuy

"He may refuse to speak because he fears his master more than us. Or worse, give us misleading information. These creatures are full of lies. The more control we have over him, the more truth we'll gain. An interrogation room will give us that control." A glance at the goblin.
    "At first glance, this one appears to be only a thug. In this case, an interrogation room may be excessive, but why risk throwing away information?"
    Last edited by Leostales; 2021-06-28 at 09:38 PM.
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #26

DruidGirl

Viaticum watches them argue, turning physically back and forth in the narrow alley as each man speaks.

Clonk, goes the goblin's head. Then clonk, against the opposite wall.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Vernon huffs raising his chin at Mithval. "You said it yourself. The longer we dally the less information we might find where the other goblins were seen at the sewers. Besides he won't sleep for much longer not long enough for us to drag him to a room fitting for that purpose." He dramatically throws a hand up in the air in frustration. "You know what i was hoping not to waste this on this filthy creature but in the interest of ending this discussion i guess i have to."

He turns around and takes a few determined steps towads the thrull "Quit your pacing and stand still." He commands the thrull in a frustated tone. He then mutters some insidious chant as his eyes glow with a tint of indigo before he places a thumb on the sleeping goblins forehead. Using his magic in order to pry the needed information from its small little brain directly.

Spoiler: ACTIONS
    Show
    Vernon will use unsetling words to reduce rhe saving thow before casting detect thought and immediately trying to dig deeper in to the goblins mind.

Reduce saving throw by: (1d6)[1]

Wisdom save vs 14
    Last edited by Nyan; 2021-06-30 at 05:58 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Vernon is easily able to bypass the goblin's unconscious mental defenses, and is greeted with images and memories in their half-dreaming state. More goblins, clustered around a fire. From the periphery, a hobgoblin comes, and appears to be speaking. A feeling of anxiety, even fear. Then, an ostiary thrull that you recognize as Viaticum.

Splitting the difference between an interrogation room and "nowhere", you find a more secluded section of the alleyway, well out of sight and earshot of the street traffic. Soon enough, the goblin awakes. They briefly struggle against Viaticum's grip, but, possessing sufficient mathematical knowledge to know that three is greater than one, stops resisting. "Alright, you've got me captured. Now what?" Throughout all this, Vernon receives the goblin's thoughts and emotions in pictures and feelings, translating to fear, intimidation, and a desire to escape the situation.
    Last edited by esorscher; 2021-07-02 at 10:29 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29

RedWizardGuy

Mithval's eyes close as Vernon probes the goblin's mind. He grips the head of his cane tightly until Vernon is finished. Then he says, in a level voice. "I had already considered the time constraint, Vernon. We would deposit the goblin in a cell and interrogate him after our investigation of the grate." When the goblin wakes up, Mithval looks him in the eye and says, "I apologize for my compatriot's brutality. Were I in charge you would be much more comfortable. My name is Mithval. I am a representative of the Orzhov Syndicate."
    Show

Show

30. - Top - End - #30

DruidGirl

Viaticum is very close to the goblin, all cold bulk and unsettling textures. It leans forward, mask gleaming as it emerges from the hood, and growls one word in the goblin's sail-like ear.

"Baaadgesss."

Iron claws flex around the goblin, and it's clear only the presence of the others is preventing it from popping off the goblin's head.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20)[18] for Intimidation, +4 if it's CHA or +7 if it's STR.