New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Bertram's Shadow: Misfits

The angry creature, obviously threatened by your presence charges at you. Swiping with one of its front claws

Attack(1d20+6)[25]
    Dam(1d2-1)[1]
    Will be away for the month of July, working at Camp

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Rhabin in "The first of Lharvion"
    Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"
    "When the Voice Whispers"

Escaping Purgatory

Avatar done by the Illustrious Dr. Bath
    Shrike, Thaddius, if we get through this, remind me to kill every frightened old man we come across just to be safe.~Morituri

2. - Top - End - #272
    Bugbear in the Playground

Essel Lightningfoot

Spoiler
    Show
    Essel slips off his climbing gloves and reaches into his pack. Placing the gloves back into their kit, he pulls out his bullseye lantern and then the flint from his pouch. He tries to dust as much soot off of his boots as possible, to remove the possibility of sooty prints, before slipping out and having a look around. He also keeps his ears open for any other intruders.

Listen - (1d20+5)[9]
    Move Silently - (1d20+9)[21]
    Search - (1d20+6)[14] (Actually 10 with the penalty)

If he fails to find anything through his lightless search then he'll strike up the lantern and look again. [OOC: roll for search with light is a magnificent 7 from the OOC]
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2007-11-28 at 10:58 PM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eberron: The Secrets of War
    Dance my PC puppets, dance!

Image courtesy of iceddragons

Wonderful Avatar of Mehk, kobold Puppeteer of Legend, by Sneak

3. - Top - End - #273
    Orc in the Playground

You search the room, but fail to find anything, and then reluctantly pull out a lantern to aid in your search. You are so engrossed in the search that you nearly jump out your skin when you hear a voice behind you hiss

Put that damn thing out!

You turn around to find the red haired girl you had noticed sneaking into the top floor standing right behind you.

Your going to give us away. I am fairly sure there is a trapdoor behind the bar. Search back there.

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

Shrike, Thaddius, if we get through this, remind me to kill every frightened old man we come across just to be safe.~Morituri

4. - Top - End - #274

Essel Lightningfoot

Spoiler
    Show
    Thoroughly startled Essel slips the lantern and flint back into his pack before giving the girl a big smile.

"If my bloody nightvision was working I wouldn't've needed the lamp but thanks for the warning," he whispers back, "However, I wouldn't dream of showing up such a great sneak as you. How about we look together?"

Essel will look behind the bar but he'll keep his eyes on the flame-haired girl, mainly to see what she attempts, mainly as insurance in case the bar is trapped or the girl clearly wants him looking in the wrong direction.

Search - (1d20+6)[25] [Oops, should be 21]
    Spot - (1d20+4)[23]
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2007-11-28 at 11:34 PM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #275
    Orc in the Playground

Essel

Spoiler
    Show

once your companion mentions where to look the two of you find the trap door easily enough.

So what do you think the chances are this thing is trapped?

As you inspect it you notice that it is rigged with a trip wire if lifted to far, and there are suspicious holes in the wall beside it...perfect for small bolts or darts.

what is more interesting is that it appears the trap was disarmed and reset recently.
    Last edited by Breten; 2007-11-28 at 11:46 PM.

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

6. - Top - End - #276

Essel Lightningfoot

Spoiler
    Show
    Essel mulled the new information over in his head, debating what he should tell his companion of necessity. Inwardly shrugging he decides to tell some, if not all.

It's blind luck that I was able to bluff that nobleman earlier today, best not chance it again.

"It looks like it is, see those holes," he points at the holes, and then the wire, "They probably shoot out darts or quarrels at the entire bar area if the wire is tripped." He motions with his hand for her to come closer,"If we both work on it we can get this trial done quickly."

Disable Device - (1d20+5)[23]

[OOC: I hope that Essel's request spawns an Aid Another from the red haired girl]
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #277
    Orc in the Playground

Essel

Spoiler
    Show

Having seen the trap and how it works you quickly disable it without any great problems. The red head smiles down at you.

Good work. Now lets see what is below.

She crouches by the trap door and pulling out her own lantern, strikes it and shines it below. It appears that there is a passage way leading west from the inn. The floors are dusty, and there is a set of foot prints leading down into the passage way. With a shrug she drops down in to the passage and then waits for you to follow, pulling the trap door closed behind.

After a moments hestiation you begin moving down the hallway.

You move cautiously and slowly, keeping a sharp eye out for more traps. Your vigilence pays off shortly as the red headed rogue touches your shoulder gently, stopping you in your tracks, and then pokes at the floor ahead with her sword. You realize that what appeared to be floor was actually a camoflauged pit trap. Peering down it appears to drop a good 20ft.

The two of you squeeze to the side around and and then continue on. Only a few dozen steps later your companion steps on an unseen trigger and a bottle suddenly drops from the ceiling, smashing on the floor spraying a strange liquid everywhere.

((Make a reflex save DC 14 to avoid))

Red Head (1d20+6)[15]

Finally an end to the tunnel appears but as you move towards it you freeze, grabbing your companion just before she steps on a stone that you recognise as being warded with an silence magical alarm. She nods her head in thanks as you point it out, and the two of you avoid it, finding yourself standing before a door.

((Make a search check and open lock check with a +2 bonus for being aided))

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

8. - Top - End - #278

Essel Lightningfoot

Spoiler
    Show
    Essel accompanies the red head through the passage, giving her several nods and keeping quiet as the two traverse the deadly passage. When the bottle smashes on the ground Essel tries to dive to cover to escape the spray.

Reflex - (1d20+6)[23]

After bypassing all of the other traps Essel finds himself staring at door and remembering all the bad luck that he had with locks as a child.

At least this time my parents aren't with me. He thinks with a grin.

While he looks over the door for yet another trap he whispers to the red head.

"I'm Essel by the way."

Search - (1d20+8)[18]
    Open Lock - (1d20+6)[12]
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2007-11-29 at 01:20 AM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #279
    Orc in the Playground

Whole Party

((This takes place after the individual testings...but we will give them a chance to finish up. Things for individuals will continue to be posted in spoilers for them, and things that are for everyone will be noted as such as well))

Time passes in the school, and you get better both at your individual areas of expertise, but also at working as a team. The team standings continue to be posted regularly, and Silver has yet to be ousted from the top slot. However Blue has always trailed closely, though it has at times fallen to third place overtaken by Green or Gold.

It is well into winter when you are all summoned out the parade ground by the familiar double bell, and this time Gell is waiting with a grin on his face.

I hope you have all been enjoying you lessons. Now we will see how well you have truly learned them. Tomorrow you will go to the Cave again for a team challenge. This time will simulate a mission. Your team is being hired by a village to eliminate the leader of a band of Orc which have been plaguing the village. Although there have always been orcs in the area they have not caused too much of a threat until recently. The villagers have heard of a new chief who has united the clan, and organized them in new ways. Although a full out attack on the orc is probably suicidal, scouts have determined the location of the chief, who seems to be staying in a smaller camp near the edge of the swamps. You party has been hired to sneak into this smaller camp, identify the chief, eliminate him, and get out. Doing it quietly enough that you do not rouse the larger orc camp is vital to the job. You will all have till noon tomorrow to plan. If you have any questions ask them now...it is the only chance you will get.

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

10. - Top - End - #280
    Orc in the Playground

Essel

Spoiler
    Show

Both of you throw yourselves out of the way as the bottle crashes, fearing acid or some foul poison. A red liquid spurts everywhere, but you both manage to narrowly avoid it. As you get up and brush yourself off you notice something odd...it appears to be red ink that has splashed all over...and more remarkably is after a second it fades, and dissappears completely.

As you stare at the door, trying to figure out the lock you find yourself once again frustrated by its mechanism.

Here, let me try she says, seeing your struggle with the lock. I've always been good at it. By the way, my name is Garnet.

Pulling a pick from her hair she sets to work on the lock.

(1d20+9)[27]

After a second there is a distinct "snick" sound as the lock pops, and with a grin back to you she cautiously opens the door a crack and peers in.

Inside is a round room, with eight chairs in a circle. One of them is currently occupied by a figure in a black cloak with the hood pulled up.

I was wondering when someone else would get here! the figure says, turning towards you and pulling back his hood. You find yourself facing Scion for Team Silver.I am not surprised it is you two though. I suggest you hurry up and take a seat before anyone else arrives.

((Make a spot check and initiative check))

Last edited by Breten; 2007-11-29 at 01:29 AM.

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

11. - Top - End - #281

Essel Lightningfoot

Spoiler
    Show
    Essel chuckles at Scion's words, not surprised at all to see him there.

"I knew you were good from when you slipped into our barracks that night. Talking from the back right corner and left through the common room window right? Let's grab a seat Garnet."

As he walks towards the circle of chairs a strange feeling nags at Essel, making him glance into the shadows of the room.

Spot - (1d20+4)[17]
    Initiative - (1d20+4)[20]
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2007-11-29 at 01:37 AM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

Lukas

Soon after the wizard test, Lukas tries to see if he can purchase writing supplies to write up some scrolls. He buys enough supplies to write 8 scrolls.

Spoiler
    Show
    With his extraordinary artisan feat, he saves 25% on the gp cost for writing scrolls. So he buys enough supplies to write 8 1st level scrolls.

8 * 25 / 2 * 0.75 = 75 gp
    (this is what would normally take to write 6 1st lvl scrolls)

also 8 XP

He writes up 6 scrolls

ray of enfeeblement
    sleep
    sleep
    charm person
    alarm
    ray of clumsiness

he leaves 2 free until he hears about their upcoming mission and he talks with the others in the group to see what spells they might need written up. He even tries to see if he can use his scribing skills to write up scrolls for the other spellcasters in the group.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Audious View Post
    Randel, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

13. - Top - End - #283

Essel Lightningfoot

Essel hops up and down to get noticed by the dwarf, his hand up high.

"Does the chief keep any shamans around him, or any other kind of caster? Also, has he hired any other creatures to assist him?"
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #284
    Orc in the Playground

Gamiel

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

OOC: Did the badger attack me or Gizmo.? Need to know where to put the 1 damage.

Activating 1/day speak with borrowing animals racial ability.

Gamiel urges Gizmo to back away from the badger. As he does Gamiel speaks to the badger, "We mean you no harm. Please do not attack. I only want to stay here a little while. I do not want to hurt you."
    Spoiler
    Show

Withdraw action from Gizmo to move back 20 ft. and avoid AoO from badger.
    Wild Empathy Check
    (1d20+2)[6] +1 druid level, +1 Cha mod

Last edited by Kyroswolf; 2007-11-29 at 12:08 PM.
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"
    I came, I saw, I stuck around!
    Quote Originally Posted by Apologizes to Lochar
    I live in the real life Ravenloft!
    Gamiel, Reynoldo Estebar, Boar, Gliff Addel

15. - Top - End - #285
    Orc in the Playground

((Sorry for not posting the last 2 days. I am in Vancouver for work right now and I haven't had Internet or Time))

Gamiel
    Spoiler
    Show

((the damage was to you))

The creature ignores you words and throws himself forward.

"Away! Go Away!"

He charges forward to attack again.

Attack(1d20+4)[16]
    Dam (1d2-1)[1]

Everyone:

The dwarf nods at the question

Earlier reports mentioned a shaman of some kind. We don't know if he is in the camp or not. The village has only encountered orcs and other humanoid races often associated with them.

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

16. - Top - End - #286
    Orc in the Playground

Essel

Spoiler
    Show

Scion merely raises an eyebrow at your assertion that he might have been in your barracks. As you quickly scan the room you notice that the chairs in the room are each engraved with a number, and that Scion is sitting in the seat that would be engraved with a 1.

Garnet scans the room as she enters as well

Spot(1d20+6)[24]
    Initiative(1d20+7)[8]

And bursts into motion, but you are able to move before she does.

Last edited by Breten; 2007-12-03 at 03:33 AM.

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

17. - Top - End - #287

Essel Lightningfoot

Spoiler
    Show
    Essel spots the numbers just in time to dash ahead of Garnet. With a quick hop he lands in the seat engraved with the number 2.

"I'm afraid that this seat is taken my dear."
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #288
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Realizing his efforts at Diplomacy may prove ineffective, he simply states, "I'm sorry. Takedown!"

At the command both Gizmo and Gamiel strike out at the badger. Gizmo biting at it as Gamiel staps with his Half-spear.

Spoiler
    Show

HA = 20 from OOC
    As usual, Gizmo attacking first. If the trip attempt works, Gamiel gets +4 on his attack roll since the badger will be prone.

Gizmo
    Attack - (1d20+3)[21]
    Damage - (1d6+3)[8]
    Trip - (1d20+2)[20]

Gamiel
    Attack - (1d20+1)[3]
    Damage - (1d4)[2]

Last edited by Kyroswolf; 2007-12-03 at 10:09 AM.
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"

19. - Top - End - #289
    Orc in the Playground

Everyone

((Is there any more questions? You have a chance to purchase supplies if you wish before you head in. Can everyone give a shout and let me know you are still here?))

Essel

Spoiler
    Show

Dodging in fast just ahead of Garnet you grab the seat, and after a moment glaring at you, she takes the 3rd chair, as if it had been what she wanted all along.

Over the next hour the other classmates begin to arrive, and each in turn take a chair, until only one is remaining. You notice as you take stock of the others that Edram is not among them, and wonder where he is, and if he will ever figure stuff out.

Suddenly the candles that light the room seem to gutter and dim, and then suddenly there is someone in the corner. It is hard to tell anything about the individual, they are cloaked in what appears to be living shadow from head to toe, and the shadow wavers in a way unsettling to the eye, making it hard to detirmine the height, weight, race or sex of the individual. When he begins to speak, the words come out as a harsh gravelly whisper.

It is time. I am Whisper. Most of you will have heard something of me, none of you will know anything importatnt about me either until now, or indeed ever. I am the instructor for those of you in the arts of stealth, misdirection, infiltration and intelligence. You who have managed to pass my initial test are worthy to continue to work with me. Those who haven't...will occupy themselves with other things. If I have need of you, or work for you to do...you will know. If you don't know your time is your own. I recommend learning to sleep during the day as much as possible as most of your assignments will be at night. Your first lesson....pay attention to everything. Each time I see you I will expect you to report to me what you have learned. Everything is important, nothing is trivial. If I ask a question you will answer it immediately. Don't waste my time by asking stupids questions...like why I ask. If you want to know figure it out yourself. In this line of work if you can't think fast and well, you die. Learn about your students, their families, their interests and abilities. What you learn will help you as you face them in challenges through the year. Work together, but watch each other as well. I will reward those who report useful information with gold and other information as you desire.

Here is your first challenge. Yesterday Bertram visited a student named Lia in her barracks. He has never done so before with a incoming student. Find out what you can about her, and what he connection to Bertram is. That is all.

With those words Whisper disappears.

It takes you a moment to figure out what to do, then you begin to look around the room. You find another door, which is unlocked and blessedly untrapped. You follow it through another tunnel which opens into the forest outside the school. You make your way back to the your barracks, and slip unnoticed into the barracks for you team. Under your pillow you find a small unmarked gold trade bar worth 200 gp.

Gamiel

Spoiler
    Show

The badger ignores your words and comes at you again. Reluctantly you signal Gizmo, who does not hesitate at all. Springing forward he moves to protect and attacks the badger. He efficently dodges the creatures claws and moves in to catch it in his mouth, and shakes the badger like a rat. The creature doesn't even yelp, and there is a loud snapping noise. The badger lands with a soft thud a few feet away.

After a moment, the ground around the badger seems to open, the still form of the animal sinks from view.

(( Roll Initiative and Spot and Survival ))

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

20. - Top - End - #290

Essel Lightningfoot

Looking around in the silence Essel waves for the dwarf's attention again.

"So are we the first group the be contracted or will we have to work around or with another party? Also, is this new chieften the boisterous, proves his own strength kind of orc or one that surrounds himself with his strongest allies?"

Spoiler
    Show
    The first chance that Essel gets after his initial test, he goes into town and sells the gold bar, buying masterwork thieves tools, a grappling hook, a handaxe, and 40 more arrows, *Edit!* oh and a CLW potion (a net gain of 41 gp).
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2007-12-04 at 01:38 PM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #291
    Orc in the Playground

Gamiel

Gamiel remains quiet, allowing the more tactically minded members to ask the question.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Init - (1d20+2)[21]
    Spot - (1d20+3)[8]
    Survival - (1d20+9)[28]
    HP 8/10

Gamiel mutters a brief prayer for the badger. Hoping that the same magics that protected him from permanent harm also protected it. He then looks about attempting to spot his next challenge.
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"

22. - Top - End - #292
    Dwarf in the Playground

Torgal Wynn

Torgal listened carefullly to the dwarf's response and considered the problem. Their squad seemed to be fairly willing, but as Gell pointed out, they weren't working as a team yet. This would be a good chance to do so and Torgal set his thoughts to preparing a plan for just that purpose. He decided to let the others ask quesitons, not even realizing that already he was trusting them to ask the types of questions that would be necessary for their trial.

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry about the absence all, work has been hectic this weekend / week, as we have our Advisory Board meeting on Friday. It's a big deal for us and a source of potential funding and collaboration for the future, so it has to be right. Will try to get back in the groove now that we have a team event going again.
    Adjudicator

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

Tarrin

"How far from the main camp is the leader's campsite? I know this is only a test, but in real life, this would scream of a set up. I would also like to re-emphasis Essel's question. Would the chieftain be one who leads by his own power, as well as the wit he has already shown?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Tarrin would have purchased a single CLW potion in town.
    Last edited by Lochar; 2007-12-04 at 12:55 PM.
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Orc in the Playground

The dwarf nods at your questions.

The best intelligence we have is that the new chief is ruling by his own power and is particularly ruthless. The main orc camp is up in the hills, while the chiefs camp is on the edge of the swamp. There is some forest for cover between them. It is about a 10 minute run from the Orc main camp to the Chiefs camp. You will be the only team assigned to the mission. To reach the chief's camp without alerting the other orc you will have to sneak through the swamp

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

25. - Top - End - #295
    Orc in the Playground

Gamiel

Spoiler
    Show

Out of the woods you hear a deep low growl. You recognise it as being a wolf, but can't spot it admist the foliage.

Initiative(1d20+2)[20]

The wolf pounces out at you, fangs barred, but you react quicker, and get a chance to act before he is upon you.
    Last edited by Breten; 2007-12-04 at 08:55 PM.

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

26. - Top - End - #296
    Orc in the Playground

Gamiel

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Handle Animal Check from OOC: 22
    WildEmpathy - (1d20+2)[11]

Gamiel whispers a quiet command to Gizmo, "Protect." He also uses his body language and his gestures to try to convey to the wolf that they mean no harm and do not want to fight.
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"

27. - Top - End - #297
    Orc in the Playground

Gamiel

Spoiler
    Show

The wolf bounds into the clearing, but stays back at the edge, circling around you and growling and sniffing at Gizmo. You survival check tells you that wolves dislike dogs, and fear fire.

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

28. - Top - End - #298
    Orc in the Playground

Gamiel

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Forgot to mention this last time. Gizmo has a readied action to attack the wolf if it attacks Gamiel.
    WildEmpathy - (1d20+2)[14]

Hoping that the wolves dislike of dogs will keep it at bay a bit longer Gamiel dismounts and again tries to convey the impression that they mean it no harm.

NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"

29. - Top - End - #299
    Orc in the Playground

Gamiel

Spoiler
    Show

The wolf keeps circling growling, and snarling, but watching Gizmo carefully does not approach any closer at this time.

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

30. - Top - End - #300

Essel Lightningfoot

Spoiler
    Show
    After finishing the first test Essel waited until the following night to do some sneaking about. He spends some time in the library first, trying to see if the school keeps any sort of class registery on hand, including ones from past years.

Int Check - (1d20+2)[12]

[OOC: At least I think that searching through the library would take an Int check]
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2007-12-06 at 01:39 AM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show