New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Bertram's Shadow: Misfits

Tarrin

"We're being tested on speed, but probably also on thoroughness. I suggest we try the last switch before we leave." Tarrin shakes his hands, throwing a few flecks of blood off of them.
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Orc in the Playground

"If we do flip the switch is anyone injured? I have some minor healing still."
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"
    I came, I saw, I stuck around!
    Quote Originally Posted by Apologizes to Lochar
    I live in the real life Ravenloft!
    Gamiel, Reynoldo Estebar, Boar, Gliff Addel

3. - Top - End - #183
    Bugbear in the Playground

Essel Lightningfoot

Essel wipes his brow and jogs back to pick up his fallen bow and strap it to his back, choosing to keep his sword out this time. He walks around the third switch, eying it carefully.

"It's up to you guys, I didn't take any hits so I'm good for another fight, but I'm checking the switch out first."

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll=Search]1d20+6[/roll]
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2007-11-22 at 06:36 PM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eberron: The Secrets of War
    Dance my PC puppets, dance!

Image courtesy of iceddragons

Wonderful Avatar of Mehk, kobold Puppeteer of Legend, by Sneak

4. - Top - End - #184
    Orc in the Playground

The switch appears to be identical to the other two, and holds no obvious indicator of what it does

((there hasn't been much movement on this, so I am assuming people are waiting for the swtich to be flipped since no one has protested))

Throwing the third switch, the part immediately hears a grinding noise above them, looking up they find a hidden grate slide open, and billows of a noxious green gas billowing down into the room.

Everyone make a DC 10 Will Save vs. Sleep
    Last edited by Breten; 2007-11-23 at 11:48 PM.
    Will be away for the month of July, working at Camp

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Rhabin in "The first of Lharvion"
    Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"
    "When the Voice Whispers"

Escaping Purgatory

Avatar done by the Illustrious Dr. Bath
    Shrike, Thaddius, if we get through this, remind me to kill every frightened old man we come across just to be safe.~Morituri

5. - Top - End - #185

Essel Lightningfoot

Spoiler
    Show
    Will - (1d20+1)[16]

As Essel cranks back the switch he hears the ceiling above him shift and has but the briefest of moments to cringe before the gas swirls around him. His mind grows fuzzy for a moment and for a second he feels like he's back in the school grounds, falling to sleep, before snapping back into awareness.

Coughing out the gas he takes a quick look around for the other party members.

"Is everyone allright? If so let's just get out of here before anything else happens."
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2007-11-24 at 12:06 AM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Lukas

Spoiler
    Show
    Will save: (1d20+2)[19]

Lukas concentrates and keeps himself awake through the fatigue of the previous day, "Oh oh, I think somebody must have gotten the traps switched. This trap seems to work like some kind of trap."

Fanning away the gas from his face he says wryly. "I can almost imagine somewhere somebody installed a sleeping gas trap to protect their valuables... and find that their security system summons Kenku or something. Is everyone all right?"
    Last edited by Randel; 2007-11-24 at 03:38 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Audious View Post
    Randel, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[21]

Tarrin

Tarrin sneezes at the cloud falls over him. "Heh, I think I'm allergic to this gas. Other than that, I'm fine. Well, we've pulled all the switches, let's get out of here."
    Last edited by Lochar; 2007-11-24 at 09:53 AM.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Gamiel - (1d20+5)[16]
    Gizmo - (1d20+1)[11]

Gamiel yawns as the gas washes over him, but quickly shakes away the drowsiness. Beneath him Gizmo stumbles and almost falls, before righting himself. "Everyone ok? Don't know about yall, but I'm ready to get out of here."
    Last edited by Kyroswolf; 2007-11-24 at 03:26 PM.
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"

9. - Top - End - #189
    Orc in the Playground

Okay if you made your will save, then you have a round to act before you have to save again.

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

Shrike, Thaddius, if we get through this, remind me to kill every frightened old man we come across just to be safe.~Morituri

10. - Top - End - #190
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Couldn't see where anyone had picked up the key. I'll assume Gamiel has it for this post.

Realizing the gas isn't disapating, Gamiel urges Gizmo toward the gate. Once there he tries to use the silver key to unlock it. "Get everyone on their feet and get over here fast. There isn't any wind to dissapate this gas." Gamiel waits by the gate for the others.
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Lukas

"Sounds like a plan." He covers his nose and mouth with a sleeve, breathing through the fabric to hopefully help keep the gas from affecting him. He runs toward the door, standing next to it.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #192
    Orc in the Playground

The key turns in the gate, and it swings open easily. Ahead is a tunnel, with soft light at the other end.

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

Tarrin

Tarrin quickly rushes through the gate, eager to not be hit with the gas' effects again.

Spoiler
    Show

In case I can't get past the gas in time...

(1d20+4)[22]

Don't be stupid.

14. - Top - End - #194

Essel Lightningfoot

Essel runs for the gate, dashing into the tunnel to escape the gas. Once in the hallway he takes in a deep breath and waits for the others before walking into the light.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Lukas

Lukas heads out the door with the others, ready to exit through the light when the others are.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #196
    Orc in the Playground

((rolling for Torgal))

Will: (1d20+2)[10]

Barely holding his breath against the effects of the gas Torgal sprints and throws himself out of the chamber.

As he does so the world disolves once again around the party, and they find themselves standing outside the cave. The night air is cool, and the sweat of their exertion quickly begins to leave them feeling chill.

Glowering at the party with his arms crossed is Gell. A grim look on his face.

Well now, I will say this: You all managed to survive. It's more than many first timers can say. We didn't even have to use the failsafe measures built into the cave.

That said, I will also say that it is only by the wildest of favour from Tymora that it is so. You used your spell caster to open chests! You assumed just because you couldn't find a trap THERE WASN'T ONE THERE!

Pointing a nobby finger at Lukas his expression grows darker

By all rights they should have been dragging you out of there in a poison induced stupor.Not only that, you failed to have even a single useful spell ready, so you were left filling the walls with crossbow bolts instead!

Swinging his finger and his gaze to light on Gamiel he continues his rant

And you! It's your job to heal in this group, and instead you charge into combat on that slobbering beast of yours. Send it to fight if you must, but keep yourself back and away from danger. If you had gone down, what then?

His gaze widens to take in the whole group.

Worst of all you forgot the mission. You mission was to get the key and get out. So what do you do after you have the gate and the key? You hang around flipping switches to see what happens next. Curiosity doesn't just kill cats. It kills adventurers by the score. First rule: ALWAYS REMEMBER THE MISSION! In the unlikely case you graduate and are allowed to bear the schools crest your employers will expect that the gold paid to the school will result in you getting the job done. Now how is that gonna happen if you are all asleep on the floor and have your throats cut?

And one more thing. YOu wasted a lot of time jawing and deciding what to do. That time will get you killed in a real combat setting. Chose one of you...I don't care which and make him your squad leader. At the next assembly he will stand at the front of your unitl. You can decide who it will be however you wish. But from now on they will be in charge, and we will all expect you to listen to them

He spits noisily and pointedly.

Why I keep at this I don't know. You will all get yourself splattered all over the pavestones first real combat you see. Well, don't sit there looking sorry for yourselves. Go back to bed. You will need the sleep you can get. Tomorrow at dusk you will discover how you did compared to the other groups

With that he turns and bellows out into the shadows.

Okay send in the next batch

As you drag yourselves away from the cave, utterly exhausted you see Team Silver striding, apparently well rested, towards the cave.
    Last edited by Breten; 2007-11-25 at 09:17 PM.

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

17. - Top - End - #197
    Orc in the Playground

Gamiel winces as the team is berated by the dore dwarf. When he receives his personal tongue lashing, he visibly cringes.

As they trudge back to the barracks he voices his thoughts, "I personally thought we did pretty well, but I can see his point. Combat alone, and combat with a team cannot be the same. I'm used to staying with Gizmo and keeping him in good shape. Now I also have to think about all of you. I'll remember that. Perhaps rather than using Gizmo's strength to best my enemies, perhaps I should use his speed to get to you when I'm needed. I'll have to remind myself of that next time." He stops talking as they reach their barracks. Once their he removes his gear and neatly arranges it in it's place. He then lays on his bunk, Gizmo at his feet. He looks at his teammates, contimplating who deserved to be the squad leader. Each performed admirably in the cave, and he had so far formed high opinions of them all. "So, what he said about a squad leader, who do yall think it should be?"
    Last edited by Kyroswolf; 2007-11-25 at 10:17 PM.
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

Tarrin

Tarrin looks at the dwarf, raising an eyebrow. "We weren't completely rested, and if I recall correctly, mages require more than the ten minutes given to us at the beginning to memorize spells." He shrugs. "Not like it makes a difference to you though, Master Gell, since the others you'll be sending through here will have had a full nights sleep and time to set up, right?"

Tarrin walks off towards the barracks, ignoring the Silvers.

Don't be stupid.

19. - Top - End - #199

Essel Lightningfoot

Walking out of the cave Essel didn't expect their group to get glowing praises, they had set off both traps and been wounded more than a few times, but was caught completely unprepared by the dwarf's outburst. He had a hard time keeping his mouth shut as the dwarf berated them all, inwardly fuming at the tongue-lashing that they received.

Listening to Gamiel on the way back made him calm down some but he couldn't stop thinking about his personal failure in the cave. Once back in their barracks Essel sits down heavily on his bunk and pores over the experience.

"While that dwarf really gets on my nerves," he begins with a shrug and starts removing his gear, "He was right about a lot of things. We all fought well, but outside of that we were like a chicken with its head cut off. Each of us did our own thing without giving too much thought to the whole group.

We've got a healer and his dog who aren't afraid of a fight, two skilled warriors, a good mage despite whatever that arse said, and someone who can sneak,"
    he ends pointing to himself. "If we work as a team there's no reason why we can't be at the top of the class.

As for the future, I'll keep looking for traps and backing everyone up in combat. I've got quick reflexes so I'll open up all of the chests in the future as well, that way if I screw up and a trap goes off I won't be endangering the rest of the group.

He looks at each one of the group. Strangely, he found that he could trust them, depite the little time that they had spent together. As for a leader... he just didn't know, deciding to hear what the others said before deciding on anything.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Lukas

Lukas frowns a bit at the dwarfs almost unfair complaints but doesn't say anything. Mulling it over, he realizes that he does have a point. While he didn't have adequate time to prepare, there are times when it would make sense that he wouldn't have that luxury in the field. Though the not having the proper spells prepared bit... it would always be hard to determine just what spells he would need anyway. And the whole opening chests when he wasn't the trapfinder thing was pretty foolish now that he though about it... and it would make a sort of twisted sense to make both the door-opening switches and gas releasing switches similar to fool adventurers.

"Thank you for your advice." he says, nodding, and he turns around to return to the barracks.

After hearing what the others have to say, he says. "Well, I think we were lucky on this one. Hopefully after some decent rest I'll be able to help out more effectively."

Thinking, he adds. "Though, as for the team leader... they should have social skills for dealing with people. I don't think I would really qualify for that... learning how to bluff and negotiate kind of goes at odds with magical prowess for some reason. But, before we get too far ahead... perhaps we should deal with the treasure we got?"
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #201
    Dwarf in the Playground

Torgal Wynn

Torgal stumbled into the light as he let out a last gasp, gratefully sucking in fresh air. Blinking the stinging gas out of his eyes, Torgal listened carefully to the dwarf's critique of the team's performance. Tribal elders had had little time for the niceties of protecting a youngling's feelings, so Gell's rant was actually fairly familiar to the dragon shaman.

As they walked back to the bunkroom, Torgal mulled over Gell's suggestions and listened to his new friends' input. When the others had weighed in, Torgal spoke up for the first time.

"Gamiel is right about needing to adjust our style. I know I am used to working on my own, or with a much larger group from my tribe. We need to carefully consider out strengths and weaknesses and figure out the best way to use all of them. As for a squad leader, well, I had some experience with leadership in my tribe, but was only just starting my training when I was invited here. I do seem to get along well with people and my draconic abilities often let me use some intimidation, when necessary. If the rest of you do not object, I feel I could do well as a squad leader. But I don't want to force myself on you, so tell me what you think."

With that, Torgal arrived at the bunkroom and gratefully shrugged out of his chain shirt and propped his spear against the wall, heading for the jakes to sluice off the kobold and goblin filth and the residue from the gas.

Spoiler
    Show

Torgal has a +2 to charisma and it's a stat I'll be leveling, as many of his draconic abilities depend upon it. He also has access to intimidate and bonus effects that help at the start of combat. Maybe we could designate the squad leader for combat only and pick another leader amongst ourselves for town and social interactions?

Anyway, the offer's there, as I don't want to spend three pages figuring out who we'll pick!
    Last edited by Adjudicator; 2007-11-26 at 10:04 AM.
    Adjudicator

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Lukas

"Well, you have my vote." Lukas says to Torgal. He picks up the arcane wand and looks it over, studying it to see if there is a clue as to what spell might be in it.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

Tarrin

Tarrin speaks up from the jakes, where he is washing himself off."I don't much care who. We're gonna be run hard regardless, especially if we're going to be considered from the fun little impression we were forced to make last night."

Don't be stupid.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Orc in the Playground

Mercifully the party is allowed to rest once they get back to barracks, and you sleep solidly. When you awake in the morning there is already a hearty breakfast set out on the table of your common room, though none of you heard anyone enter to set it for you. The sun is already quite high, and you realise you have been allowed to sleep in. Grateful for the rest you dig into the mornings food, suprised to find it is both fresh and of excellent quality.

As you finish your meal you find yourself wondering what to do next as no formal schedule has been given to you. Your thoughts are interupted by a commotion outside. You stick your head out to see most of the other students grouping around a large sign board by the parade grounds.

Going to investigate you find everyone is straining to see the posted results of last nights test. Pushing your way in you manage to read the list.

Trial One Results:

Silver
    Blue
    Green
    Red
    Black

Failed to complete:
    Gold
    Orange
    White

Across the parade ground you see several of the professors moving towards the stage, though they seem in not particular hurry. Gell is not among them strangely. The other teams are mixed together talking to each other. It seems several of them are recounting the trials of the cave last night, but others have thier heads together and talking excitingly in low voices, their eyes sliding now and again towards Bertram's tower, and the Green team.

((If any wish to find out what they are talking about make a gather information check))

Joff of the Silver Team is loudly boasting about his teams victory last night to any he can intimidate into listening. When he sees your team reading the results he pushes his way over to you.

Hey I see that you guys actually made it through alive and placed respectably. With results like that you should be recognized. BEST OF THE LOSERS!!!!! It doesn't seem his teamates are around, and the other students are glaring at Joff...but neither seems to keep him from laughing loudly at his own joke.

For Essel Only

Spoiler
    Show

When you wake in the morning as you stretch on your bed you realise that there is a unmarked envelope under you pillow. You pocket it for the moment, and when you have a chance you glace through it. Inside written in precise script are the words.

"Show this to no one." Come to Alustair's folly at 3 candles after midnight. Let no one see you. This is your first test"

The message is unsigned and unsealed.

For Lukas
    [/spoiler] The wand is definitely arcane. Do a knowlege arcana roll to determine the spell. The command word "Engor" is written on the wand. It appears to hold enough magic energy for 10 castings.

[spoiler]
    Last edited by Breten; 2007-11-26 at 02:00 PM.

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

Tarrin

Tarrin looks Joff over for a moment. "Money might have bought you first place, Joff, but I doubt it buys you any comfort at night." Tarrin reaches into his pocket and pulls out a green strip of fabric and tosses it towards Joff. "Give that back to Jemma, would you? I still have several from our little meeting." Tarrin walks off, ignoring Joff as he tries to figure out what's going on with the Green team.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gather Info: (1d20+1)[2]

Watch me roll a 1.

--Edit
    Yep!
    Last edited by Lochar; 2007-11-26 at 02:05 PM.

Don't be stupid.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Lukas

Knowledge(Arcana): (1d20+8)[19]
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Lukas

After checking the wand, Lukas heads over towards the groups to get in on what people are saying. Preferring groups with more spell casters in them over others.

Gather Information: (1d20+0)[14]

Also, this morning he prepares:

0-lvl
    ray of frost
    acid splash
    detect magic

1st-lvl
    mage armor
    enlarge person
    Last edited by Randel; 2007-11-26 at 02:18 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #208
    Orc in the Playground

For Lukas;

Spoiler
    Show
    The wand is a wand of enlarge person with 10 charages on it
    From listening to the gossip spreading around you can pick up the following: There were some strange noises heard from Bertram's tower last night around midnight (while you would have been in the cave)
    Bertram was seen visiting the Green team's barracks last night
    A petite girl named Lia from Green team is apparently very important for some reason and is rumoured to be a powerful sorceress.
    There is a rivalry brewing between the blue and Silver groups.

For Tarrin

As Goff looks puzzled by the piece of cloth thrown at him, suddenly a muscled impressive young woman in full mail step up beside him and retorts at Tarrin

Some men don't have to pay for women's attentions, but then again what would you know of such things? For all I hear, your specialties is using you hands!

((If you want to learn more about he green team roll a gather information check))

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

29. - Top - End - #209
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Spells for day
    0 level
    Cure Minor Wounds x2
    Detect Poison
    1 level
    Cure Light Wounds x2
    Plus Racial spells

During breakfast, Gamiel studies the divine wand, trying to use his limited knowledge to better understand it.

As they gather outside Gamiel rides Gizmo through the crowd, interjecting bits into conversations trying to find out whats going on with the Green Team, and also more about the daily routine of the school from the better mannered of the 2nd years. If he spots a divine caster he presents the wand and asks for assistance with it.

Spoiler
    Show

GatherInfo - (1d20+1)[9]
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

Tarrin

Tarrin turns, before chuckling and bows. "Yes, I do use my hands a good bit. Would you like to feel their caress as well?" He raises an eyebrow at her. "I have never paid for a woman's attentions. I see I have yours, or were you looking for coin?"

Don't be stupid.