Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Modern military vs. PF warband, round no. 2

[OOC thread]
    Map:
    Spoiler: Map
    Show

Areas fully enclosed by orange lines count as difficult terrain.
    Areas within these enclosed by green lines do not count as difficult ground.

Spoiler: OOC for everyone
    Show
    So, we are finally DOING THIS! Please do roll for initiative, to get that out of the way.

Spoiler: Edreyn
    Show
    There was some light snow drizzling down earlier in the afternoon, but now, with dusk approaching the weather is all clear already and even the clouds above are slowly drifting apart, letting what sunlight still remains through.
    The team has been following the frozen creek for a couple hours by now. It's been an easy trek, relatively speaking, among the groves and thickets of pine: the snow isn't too deep and the terrain is largely even. Everything is peaceful and quiet out here, and the patrol is yet to run into anything larger than what appeared to be a small clutch of blasé fieldfares and a lazy, loud jay.
    Command's been nervous, very nervous all day and indeed ever since that patrol failed to report in last afternoon and at morning today and again around noon, when those PMCs were finally dispatched to see about it. But that's not the team's main concern right now. Aerial footage they got to inspect before they set out showed strange creatures moving along the creek and towards the camp. Unless they changed course in the meantime, at this point they should be close.

Spoiler: Palanan
    Show
    There was some light snow drizzling down earlier in the afternoon, but now, with dusk approaching the weather is all clear already and even the clouds above are slowly drifting apart, letting what sunlight still remains through.
    The party has been following the frozen creek more or less closely for a couple hours by now. It's been an easy trek, relatively speaking, among the groves and thickets of pine: the snow isn't too deep and the terrain is largely even. The other party they've seen, the ones that turned south when they turned north must have it rough now among the rocks, but that's of little concern to the five. The birds have been talking to Yex and they all bhut confirmed that the band is on the right track. Another batch of the strange men is moving eastwards now and should not be far from here.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2021-06-25 at 02:03 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Modern military vs. PF warband, round no. 2

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling initiative:

Chal: (1d20+1)[5]
    Daybreak (1d20+1)[9]
    Grathag: (1d20+1)[7]
    Hallax: (1d20+2)[12]
    Lucky: (1d20+9)[10]
    Shassax: (1d20+2)[14]
    Yex (1d20+9)[27]

Also, one note on starting positions, with regard to companions. Shassax will be on Yex’s shoulder at all times, unless specified otherwise, and will be serving as aft lookout. Scuttlebutt will be clinging to Lucky’s person at all times, again unless specified otherwise.

By contrast, Daybreak has been left behind at camp, so as not to tire him out, and also to draw less attention. Grathag can spend a full-round action to call Daybreak to his side, so he’s planning to do that if the need arises. Until then, Daybreak is pacing eagerly back at camp.

So, let us know when the first round begins.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Roleplay
    Spoiler
    Show

- Something is wrong here guys, - said Tyler, - I have a gut feeling that we are being watched.
    - Yeah, we are, buy all those hares and birds, - answered Anna. - I am dying to put a bullet in some unlucky local's brain - let them just give me a reason. But so far I don't see even a predator animal, not even talking about someone sapient.
    - What fun is to kill with just one bullet, - Liza started her favorite arguing, and as always, was stopped by Diego.
    - Shush, Liza. I have this gut feeling too. We better prepare for a fight. Vladimir, do you still have this spy drone? Hope you didn't lose it on the way?
    - No, commander. I have it right here, - the sniper replied.
    - Then make sure we find them before they find us. And just in case they do see us first, everybody get your position, like we all did during training.

Initiative:
    Spoiler
    Show

Vladimir (1d20+8)[26]
    Anna (1d20+9)[26]
    Diego (1d20+5)[7]
    Tyler (1d20+5)[16]
    Liza (1d20+3)[19]
    Last edited by Edreyn; 2021-06-25 at 01:59 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Round one begins! Feel free to post your actions.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2021-06-25 at 02:06 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay--I'm working on getting a small inset map for you, to show my starting positions. Once I have that done, I'll give you my actions for the first round.

I'll send you the inset map over email, hopefully not too much longer.

EDIT:

Now of all times, my computer is being excruciatingly slow and difficult.

...Just...a...little...longer....
    Last edited by Palanan; 2021-06-25 at 02:40 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

BardGuy

Starting positions
    Spoiler
    Show

UPDATE: Everyone starts standing.
    Vladimir (Sniper 1): D2
    Anna (Sniper 2): B2
    Diego (Assault 1): C3
    Tyler (Assault 2): B3
    Liza (Heavy): D4

Roleplay
    Spoiler
    Show

(Diego is the one who commands)
    - Vladimir get closer to trees, before you send a drone, just in case. Okay if you are moving crouched and not prone. I'll cover you myself.
    - Roger that Commander.
    - Anna, quickly move to trees on the south. Run and climb.
    - Got that boss.
    - Tyler, advance with her to the south and cover her.
    - Aye aye.
    - Liza, you move just a little to South West.
    - Okay

Actions
    Spoiler
    Show

Vladimir: Move when crouching to H1. Release the drone.
    Drone (should I roll initiative?): Fly to U2, altitude 65 feet.
    Initiative for drone if required: posted below
    Anna: Move to E10. Double move action.
    Diego: Move to I4. Double move action.
    Tyler: Move to F9. Double move action.
    Liza: Move to H6. Ready action: attack hostiles on sight.
    Last edited by Edreyn; 2021-06-25 at 03:32 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

BardGuy

Roll for you know what:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+2)[10]

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, I’ve sent you the inset map showing starting positions. Yex is at 32-BO, Hallax at 32-BR, Lucky at 33-BQ, Chal at 34-BQ, and Grathag at 35-BR.

Round One:

Yex scents the sharply humid air. “Not far,” he murmurs; “birds say just to the west.”

Hallax gives a barely perceptible rumble, a pleased predator; Grathag merely bows his head. Lucky and Chal share a glance, and Lucky nods crisply. “Here goes,” he whispers.

Yex is looking and listening carefully, primarily to the west, northwest and southwest, senses on edge for any sight or sound of the strange intruders. On his shoulder, Shassax is looking behind to the east, and especially above, wary of an attack from the heights.

Perception:
    Yex: (1d20+17)[19]
    Shassax: (1d20+11)[17]

Hallax is looking and listening with equal care, in particular from the west to the north and behind them to the east.

Perception:
    Hallax: (1d20+7)[21]

Grathag is also looking and listening, especially to the west, south and southeast.

Perception:
    Grathag: (1d20+3)[23]

Within the protective triangle of the warriors, Chal and Lucky each begin casting a summon spell from a scroll. Chal is casting Summon Monster I, and Lucky is casting Summon Monster III, which will occupy them for the remainder of the round.
    Last edited by Palanan; 2021-06-25 at 03:26 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Show
    The tem spreads out quickly, efficiently and without complications. The drone takes off and climbing fast, it buzzes away. For now, Vladimir doesn't see anything suspicious appear on the screen.

Show
    Yex may very well be right and the strangers may very well be close enough. Most of the party does not see or hear any sign of that, however. Grathag has the vague impression that his ears picked up something: a monotonous buzzing noise, but it is very faint. It could be wind. It could be anything.

OOC: tell me what those two are summoning and where they will appear.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Grathag murmurs to the others about the dim, monotonous buzzing.

Lucky is summoning a lantern archon, which will appear in the square to his immediate left, which should be 33-BP. Chal is summoning an eagle (which will have the Celestial template) and which will appear to her immediate left, which should be 34-BP.

Let me know when we're at round two...

11. - Top - End - #11

Show
    Round two! Unleash the fury!

12. - Top - End - #12

BardGuy

Starting positions
    Spoiler
    Show

Vladimir: H1
    Drone: U2, altitude 65 feet
    Anna: E10
    Diego: I4
    Tyler: F9
    Liza: H6

Roleplay
    Spoiler
    Show

- See anything, Vladimir? - Diego asks.
    - Negative, only white trees and even whiter snow.
    - Continue searching. I am pretty sure we aren't alone.
    - Roger that. Sending drone further to the east.
    - Anna, remember your training? Get to one of the trees to the south and observe the surroundings.
    - Will do, commander!
    - Tyler, proceed a little to the east and cover Anna.
    - Aye, commander.
    - Liza you also advance to the east and...
    - Let me just see them, I'll make sure they...
    - Just obey, Liza
    - (sigh) Yes, commander!

Actions
    Spoiler
    Show

Vladimir: Don't move, control drone
    Drone: move to AK5, same altitude
    Diego: Don't move. Ready action: attack first hostile he sees.
    Anna: Move to H11, climb and get position on a tree, height where can sit comfortably, see as far as possible and be able to actually fire. Look to the SE.
    Tyler: Move to J9. Ready action: attack first hostile he sees.
    Liza: Move to M7. Ready action: attack first hostile she sees.

Done this post
    Last edited by Edreyn; 2021-06-26 at 08:34 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Alerted by Grathag’s murmur, Yex will look carefully towards the west, straining to catch sight, sound or scent of the strange intruders. On his shoulder, Shassax will continue looking around, and especially behind and above them.

Perception:
    Yex: (1d20+17)[30]
    Shassax: (1d20+11)[26]

Yex will also use his wand of Camouflage on himself.

Hallax continues watching, listening and scenting as well, with an emphasis on the northwest and north.

Perception:
    Hallax: (1d20+7)[19]

Likewise Grathag continues keeping watch, especially to the south and behind them.

Perception:
    Grathag: (1d20+3)[5]

As the lantern archon appears at the end of the last round, Lucky commands it (in Celestial) to hold still. During this round, he will cast Invisibility on it with his wand, and then he will command the archon to rise up above the trees, survey the area, and return with news of anything unusual in 30 seconds.

The archon will be on the alert as it begins its ascent. The archon will take a double move action to rise invisibly above the trees, finishing at an altitude of 120 feet.

Perception:
    Lantern Archon: (1d20+4)[19]

This is the first of seven rounds the archon will be active.

Likewise, as the eagle appears next to Chal, she commands it (in Celestial) to rise to treetop level, fly towards a touch north of west, and search for one or more humans, and then to circle above them when it sees them.

The eagle will be eyeing its surroundings carefully from the moment it takes wing. The eagle will take a double move action, first to reach a height of 80’, and then to fly 80’ to the west, drifting slightly north and ending at 32-BA.

Perception:
    Eagle: (1d20+10)[28]

This is the first of five rounds the eagle will be active.

14. - Top - End - #14

Show
    As usual, Diego's gut was spot on. As the UAV sails eastward, a cluster of figures appear standing in the snow to the southeast. Vladimir can count five roughly humanoid figures as well as something thoroughly bizarre what appears to be a glowing ball of light hovering above the ground. The short creature with a strange, elongated snout standing next to thisÂ… thing then seems to touch the ball and it winks out, revealing a large bird, probably an eagle standing just south it in the snow. Shortly thereafter, the eagle spreads its wings and takes off rising above the treeline and beginning to fly westwards.

OOC: Vladimir sees 7 entities in total. Two human-looking armoured figures stand on BR35 and BQ34; a short creature with a prominent snout stands on BQ33, next to a ball of light on BP33. There's a less human-like armoured creature on BR32 and another similar creature with something on its shoulder on BO32. A large bird takes off from BP 34 and flies to BA32 (80' above ground).

Show
    Grathag got lucky moments ago, but the keen-eyed Yex and Shassax need no luck to find the source of the sound they are now also hearing, if faintly. A peculiar set of three white cilinders, barely visible against the clouds floats into view and begins to hover mid-air past the grove to their northwest, sixty feet or so above the ground by Yex's reckoning.
    In the meantime, the archon and the eagle also rise up to survey the area. The archon doesn't see much, but the eagle has more luck and spots something that might be a human in a white-grey outfit holding something large and black in the distance.

OOC: Yex spots a flying contraption hovering above AK5, 65' up. The eagle spots something that might be a single human standing on M7.

Show
    Get ready for round three!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Round Three

Yex murmurs to the others that he’s seen a strange device flying to the northwest. “Small and noisy, drifting in the air.”

Now that he knows the direction, Yex will continue looking carefully to the west and northwest, while Shassax—now that flying things are in play—will carefully scan the skies in all directions in case there are others.

Perception:
    Yex: (1d20+17)[29]
    Shassax: (1d20+11)[20]

A murmur between the catfolk and Hallax moves from 32-BR to 32-BP, adjacent to Yex, and Yex will take a moment to use his wand to cast Camouflage on Hallax.

As he does so, Hallax will continue looking and listening from northwest to north to northeast.

Perception:
    Hallax: (1d20+7)[11]

Grathag continues looking and listening, again to the west, south and southeast. Grathag will also take a moment to drink a potion of Bull’s Strength.

Perception:
    Grathag: (1d20+3)[5]

“Right then,” Lucky breathes to Chal, “slight change of plans.”

Lucky begins casting Summon Monster I from a scroll, to summon an eagle; when it appears at the start of the next round he will command it (in Celestial) to hold still a moment for him to cast a spell on it. It will appear in the same spot as the previous summons, 33-BP.

The invisible lantern archon, now at an altitude of 120’, continues scanning the area carefully.

Perception:
    Archon: (1d20+4)[8]

This is the second of seven rounds the invisible lantern archon will be active.

Meanwhile Chal is casting Barkskin on Grathag.

Following its instructions, Chal's eagle will fly towards the human at M7 with a double move action, searching for other humans as it does so. The eagle starts at 32-BA and flies 160’, finishing roughly at AB-19. If it spots any other humans it will stop and circle above them.

Perception:
    Chal's Eagle: (1d20+10)[27]

This is the second of five rounds the eagle will be active.

Spoiler: For the DM
    Show
    Since Lucky has Augment Summoning, his summoned creatures have a +4 to Strength and Constitution. I'll get you the modified stats for the lantern archon and air elemental later today if I can.

Spoiler: Question for DM - With Reply
    Show
    It looks like I slipped up--Lucky doesn't actually speak Auran. Given this, how much in the way of commands can he give to the air elemental when it appears?

If he's not able to, I'd like to change the summons if I could, since Lucky would know ahead of time that he doesn't speak that language. (Sorry, really wiped out from yesterday.)

EDIT: Thanks for the answer in the other thread. Changed Summon Monster II to Summon Monster I, for an eagle instead of an air elemental.
    Last edited by Palanan; 2021-06-27 at 02:30 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

BardGuy

Starting positions
    Spoiler
    Show

Vladimir: H1
    Drone: AK5, altitude 65 feet
    Anna: H11
    Diego: I4
    Tyler: J9
    Liza: M7

Roleplay
    Spoiler
    Show

- Ah, hell, I knew it! - Vladimir started cursing, - We have visitors, to the south east from us.
    - Report! - harshly demanded Diego.
    - I got five... don't know who... not all of them even look like humans, but they all seem to be sapient. They wear some kind of medieval armor.
    - I am not surprised, - Anna intervened, - eggheads expected we can find something like this. It's not our world, remember?
    - Hush, - let Vladimir report! - Diego demanded.
    - I also see a large bird, seemingly an eagle, though it might be of different eh... breed then we know. Who knows maybe he is capable of thinking too!
    - Bad news, - that was coming from Anna, - those things have good eyes. Really good. Better then any of us, humans. He could already see our bad girl by now.
    - WHO DID YOU DARE TO...
    - Hush! Continue Anna.
    - Roger. So, the eagle could spot Liza by now, but about others... He is looking from south east, and from that direction, trees cover the rest of us.
    - Got that. Vladimir, anything else?
    - Uh... positive. I see some kind of orb emitting light.No even slightest idea of what it is, and how it can be dangerous.
    - What else?
    - That's it. Commander, the eagle flies fast. He could see us any minute!
    - Got that. So, the trees can hide us? So, let's use them! We will hide in the heavy bush to the south of our starting area. But we'll make them also swallow wrong lead.
    - What do you mean boss? - Tyler asked.
    - We carried those fake armors and helmets for a reason. We'll use them and make those knights-in-dented-armor believe that we are not in our real place. Liza, starting from you. Go to the south, and use your fake-stuff to pretend someone is lying on the ground, with his rifle looking eastward. Questions?
    - Uh, we have helmets and armor, but where would I get rifle?
    - Just get a thick stick you f... frail girl!
    - Ah, got that!
    - Anna, you position your dummy on your own place. Make it detectable, but pretend like the potential soldier would try to conceal his position. When done, descend and go deeper into dense area.
    - Roger that boss!
    - Vladimir, put your dummy on where you are, make it easily seen - but not recognizable. As if someone lying in the snow. Then run to the south. No, don't make it a straight line, go around, go in circle to the west first. Let the drone hover for now.
    - Got that, commander.
    - Tyler go just a little east, then place your decoy. Pretend you are hiding behind a tree.
    - Roger that.
    - I'll do same at my place and join you.

Actions
    Spoiler
    Show

Vladimir: Position dummy on where he is now. Attempt to make it easily detectable (not recognizable!) as if person lies prone in the snow. After that move to D3.
    Drone: hover at same position and altitude.
    Diego: Build a decoy as if someone is looking and pointing a rifle towards south-east, then move to I9.
    Anna: Position dummy on where she is now. Attempt to make it detectable (not recognizable!) but as if person tries to hide. After that move to I14.
    Tyler: Move to K9, build a decoy as if someone is looking and pointing a rifle towards south-east.
    Liza: Move to M12 (under a tree). Position dummy.

17. - Top - End - #17

BardGuy

Forgot rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show

Craft Mechanics
    Vladimir: (1d20+9)[21]
    Anna: (1d20+9)[13]
    Diego: (1d20+10)[11]
    Tyler: (1d20+10)[13]
    Liza: (1d20+8)[23]

Disguise
    Vladimir: (1d20+7)[27]
    Anna: (1d20+7)[16]
    Diego: (1d20+7)[18]
    Tyler: (1d20+7)[10]
    Liza: (1d20+5)[13]

Stealth (if needed)
    Vladimir: (1d20+12)[23]
    Anna: (1d20+12)[18]
    Diego: (1d20+13)[27]
    Tyler: (1d20+13)[32]
    Liza: (1d20+1)[8]

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: For the DM
    Show
    Here are the basic stats for the summoned creatures via Lucky's Augmented Summons. At this level, the only real effects are a couple extra hp and a very slight increase to CMB, CMD and Fort saves.

Eagle (via Augmented Summoning)

AC 14
    hp 7
    Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +2

Speed 10 ft., fly 80 ft. (average)
    Melee 2 talons +3 (1d4+2), bite +3 (1d4+2)

Str 14, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 2, Wis 15, Cha 7
    Base Attack +0; CMB +1; CMD 13
    Feats Weapon Finesse
    Skills Fly +8, Perception +10

Lantern Archon (via Augmented Summoning)

AC 15
    hp 17
    Fort +6, Ref +3, Will +0
    DR 10/evil; Immune electricity, petrification

Speed fly 60 ft. (perfect)
    Ranged 2 light rays +3 ranged touch (1d6)
    SLAs (CL 3rd) At Will: Aid, Continual Flame, Detect Evil

Str 5, Dex 11, Con 16, Int 6, Wis 11, Cha 10
    Base Attack +2; CMB -2; CMB 8
    Feats Improved Initiative
    Skills (partial) Fly +15, Perception +4

Standing by for Round Four!

Last edited by Palanan; 2021-06-28 at 12:33 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Show
    The team is a well-oiled macjĂłhine. In a matter of seconds, the decoys are deployed and everyone (even Liza) moves into position. The drone continues to hover above the trees, but there's little new to see. One of the armoured creatures takes a few steps towards the west and the one with the bird on their shoulder seems to poke him (her? it?) with something. Where the drone first saw the glowing sphere before, another large bird appears, as if from thin air. Meanwhile, the first eagle continues its flight westwards and it is getting close to the wooded area the team is now retreating into.

OOC: figure on BR32 moves to BP32. An eagle appears on BP33. First eagle is now 80' above AB19.

Show
    The flying contraptions continues to hang motionless in the sky where it was and neither Yex, nor Shassax senses any movement around or above the band. Some of the others, in the meantime, have a somewhat more difficult time staying on high alert than the ranger and his companion. The blazing whites all around them put something of a starin on Grathag's eyes and the archon finds the uniform landscape all around terribly confusing.
    Chal's eagle, on the other hand, has more luck than these four. Although the human it first spotted moved out of sight towards the south, it now spots two more figures, lying prone and inert on the ground, seemingly graspingÂ… Sticks?

OOC: don't worry, nothing happened to G.'s eyes or the archon, I'm just being "artistic" about them making awfully bad Spot checks.
    Meanwhile, flying thing stays where it was; human-looking figure moves south in straight line, disappears under trees; two prone figures become visible on H1 and I4.
    Also, thanks for the augmented stats!

Show
    Round four!Do what needs doing!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Round Four

“We need cover,” Yex whispers to Hallax, who nods. “See you flat-teeth later,” Hallax murmurs to the others.

Yex and Hallax will ever so quietly move through the nearest clump of trees—counting on their innate stealth and Camouflage to help keep them hidden—and will both continue looking, listening and scenting for the intruders. Yex moves from 32-BO to BJ-31, and Hallax from 32-BP to BJ-30.

Stealth:
    Yex: (1d20+27)[29]
    Hallax: (1d20+23)[24]

Perception:
    Yex: (1d20+17)[24]
    Shassax: (1d20+11)[14]
    Hallax: (1d20+7)[10]

“We should follow,” Grathag says quietly, and moves from BR-35 to BN-35. Once there, despite the slight snowglare, Grathag will continue looking and listening all around. Grathag will also take a moment to drink a potion of Bear’s Endurance. With Barkskin, Grathag’s AC is now 20; with Bull’s Strength, he now has a Strength of 22, and with Bear’s Endurance he now has a Constitution of 20, which brings him to 65 hit points.

Perception:
    Grathag: (1d20+3)[14]

Lucky finishes his summons and an eagle appears in 33-BP, seeming larger and stronger than Chal’s. In Celestial, Lucky commands it to hold still for a moment while he uses his wand of Shield on the eagle, after which he commands it to fly straight towards the flying device to the northwest. “Bring it down,” he breathes in Celestial, “down into the stream, and keep it there.” With that, Lucky takes cover in the lee of a different tree, moving from BQ-35 to BM-34. Lucky will also do his best to hide:

Stealth:
    Lucky: (1d20+26)[36]

The large eagle immediately flies off to the northwest, from 33-BP to approximately AS-16, on an intercept course with the flying device and scanning the entire area as it closes in.

Perception:
    Large Eagle: (1d20+10)[26]

With Shield, the large eagle has an AC of 18. This is the first of seven rounds the large eagle will be active.

Meanwhile, the invisible lantern archon continues scanning the area from its altitude of 120’.

Perception:
    Invisible Lantern Archon: (1d20+4)[12]

This is the third of seven rounds the invisible lantern archon will be active.

Chal follows Lucky into cover of the tree, moving from BQ-34 to BM-35, and casts Shield on herself, bringing her AC to 16. Chal is now also looking carefully all around, especially to the west and northwest.

Perception:
    Chal: (1d20+12)[15]

From AB-19, Chal’s eagle will continue flying towards the prone humans and will reach C-4, at which point it will begin circling above them. Chal’s eagle will be searching carefully for more humans as it does so.

Perception:
    Chal’s Eagle: (1d20+10)[16]

This is the third of five rounds Chal’s eagle will be active.

EDIT: When I originally made everyone's moves, I didn't take into account the difficult terrain beneath the trees. I've corrected for that as best I can, so Yex is at BJ-31, Hallax at BJ-30, Grathag at BN-35, Lucky at BM-34, and Chal at BM-35. I'll send an updated position map when I can.

Also, I'm at the furthest corner from both the numbers and letters, so it's very difficult for me to know which spaces I'm in. I've printed out the grid map and I'm marking positions, but please bear with me.
    Last edited by Palanan; 2021-06-28 at 11:17 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

BardGuy

Starting positions

Spoiler
    Show

Vladimir: D3
    Anna: I14
    Diego: I9
    Tyler: K9
    Liza: M12
    ------
    Dummy (Vladimir): H1
    Dummy (Anna): H11
    Dummy (Diego): I4
    Dummy (Tyler): K9
    Dummy (Liza): M12

Roleplay
    Spoiler
    Show

- Everybody retreat into the woods, - Diego ordered, - we don't want to be seen. With some luck the damn bird will see our decoys and its master will believe they are us. Vladimir you are still in the open, continue south, but don't run, move in stealth. Don't touch the drone for now.
    - Roger that boss!
    - Anna enter even deeply into woods.
    - Yes, commander!
    - Tyler, you and me will also continue south for now. Then I have a surprise for our friends...

Actions
    Spoiler
    Show

So, moving through forests consumes two cell as one? I am asking again, just to make it clear. Even if I can move further, let's stay with this for now.

Vladimir: Stealth mode on. Move to to D9.
    Drone: Remain in place.
    Anna: Move to N15.
    Diego: Move to I15. Stealth mode on (while in the open) - no penalty to speed because of feet.
    Tyler: Move to K15. Stealth mode on (while in the open) - no penalty to speed because of feet.
    Liza: Move to O16.

22. - Top - End - #22

Show
    The soldiers move deeper into the grove, leaving the dummies behind; even Vladimir reaches the treeline (albeit without disappearing under the branches) by the time the eagle swoops in and begins circling above the decoys, none the wiser – or so it appears. Vladimir does see more alarming news on the screen however: their enemies begin moving away towards the west, the drone losing sight of them as they reach the grove they stood by thus far and the second, more powerfully built eagle that appeared beside the short creature with the snout just a few seconds ago takes off and, apparently following some instruction from its master, starts flying straight towards the UAV.

OOC: That's right, each square counts as two squares in the difficult zones.
    Meanwhile, eagle 1 is now above C4. Eagle 2 is now 80' above AS16 and heading towards the drone.
    Anyone who moves in the next round, will have to make a new Stealth check.

Show
    Chal's eagle sails past the last trees and begins circling above the frozen creek. The terrain below is swarming with those strange, humanlike figures: now it can see three more compared to what it spotted previously: one sittong among the branches of a tree and two leaning against tree trunks. The eagle has the distinct impression that there is something off about one of these, but it is not sure how. Not that it is paid to think (or paid, for that matter).
    Back in the southeast, the party begins to move into the patch of pines immediately to their west. Lucky, the last to follow releases his eagle before doing so, watching as the mighty bird flies off to intercept the strange device which continues to hang motionless in the sky, showing no intention of getting a closer look on the band.
    Above, the lantern archon is just as confused as it was before. What is it even doing here? It hears nothing. It sees nothing. Mostly, it just wants to go home.

OOC: No problem. The important thing is that now everyone is someplace where they can be by the rules.
    Meanwhile, the eagle spots three more figures: one perched on a tree above G11, ons leaning against another on M12 as does a third one (that looks off) on K9.
    Please point out what the eagle's trajectory is going to be once it actually begins circling.

Show
    Here comes round five!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Round Five

With a nod to his cousin, Yex takes a double move action to continue west, picking his way through the snow and debris and ending at BB-31. He is moving quietly, and both he and Shassax are on high alert for intruders anywhere around.

Stealth:
    Yex: (1d20+27)[39]

Perception:
    Yex: (1d20+17)[19]
    Shassax: (1d20+11)[26]

Confident in his natural stealth and enhanced Camouflage, Hallax moves north out of the difficult terrain and begins skirting the northern edge of this clump of trees, heading to the northwest, ending at BH-26. He is looking, listening and scenting as he goes.

Stealth:
    Hallax: (1d20+23)[26]

Perception:
    Hallax: (1d20+7)[26]

Grathag nods gravely to Lucky, looks and listens all around, and moves west to BK-35.

Perception:
    Grathag: (1d20+3)[22]

Lucky casts Invisibility on Chal with his wand. His wand of Invisibility now has eight charges left.

Staying low and quiet, Lucky will work his way west through the debris scattered beneath the trees, only managing to move from BM-34 to BK-34.

Stealth:
    Lucky: (1d20+26)[44]

Since the invisible lantern archon can see nothing, and was commanded to return after a brief period, it descends to the spot where it first appeared, and—attracted by Lucky’s discreet wave—begins heading back to Lucky. It should intercept Lucky in the following round. This is the fourth of seven rounds the invisible lantern archon will be active.

Meanwhile, Lucky’s large eagle is bearing down on the flying device, flying directly from AS-16 to intercept at AK-5. The large eagle will attempt to grapple the flying device:

Combat Maneuver: Grapple:
    Large eagle: (1d20+1)[18]

If successful, the large eagle will use the Grappled (Move) action to pull the flying device straight down 40 feet. This is the second of seven rounds the large eagle will be active.

Now invisible, Chal will establish a life link with Grathag and begin moving west, picking her way carefully through the fallen debris beneath the trees, moving from BM-35 to BJ-35.

Having just flown over a trio of strange figures, Chal’s eagle will begin circling them at treetop height. From C4 it will arc around to P4, then curve around south to P14, then veer west and fly to F14, and then turn again north, scanning the intruders and their surroundings all the while.

Perception:
    Chal’s Eagle: (1d20+10)[25]

This is the fourth of five rounds Chal’s eagle will be active.

24. - Top - End - #24

BardGuy

Starting positions
    Spoiler
    Show

Vladimir: D9
    Anna: N15
    Diego: I15
    Tyler: K15
    Liza: O16
    ------
    ------
    Eagle 1 (enemy): C4
    Eagle 2 (enemy): AS16

Roleplay
    Spoiler
    Show

- Prepare to start radio silence soon, - Diego orders, - for now everyone except Liza continue moving East. Then snipers will take positions, and me with Tyler try to set mines. Liza, you go to the south and expose yourself for a few moments. If they see you, with some luck they will believe we are all there. Don't confirm orders, just start moving. And prepare to act on your own, soon we'll have to shut communications.

Actions
    Spoiler
    Show

Vladimir: Move to F13
    Drone: Move to AL 24, same altitude 65 feet
    Anna: Move to T15
    Diego: N16
    Tyler: P15
    Liza: Move to P22 (Last two cells counts normally, I believe)

25. - Top - End - #25

BardGuy

Rolls:

Spoiler
    Show

Only Vladimir is exposed, so rolling onlt for him. Other move normally.

Stealth (Vladimir): (1d20+12)[24]

26. - Top - End - #26

Show

Vladimir manages to follow his comrades unimpeded to under the cover of the branches, and he even has the time to veer the drone out of the larger eagle's way. The UAV has no success at locating the freshly disappeared hostiles, however.
    In the meantime, Liza strides out of the forest with little regard to stealth. As she looks up, she can see the eagle move south before taking a sharp turn and beginning to glide westwards in a broad circle.

OOC: First eagle's now 80' above G14. Drone evades second eagle; second eagle ends its movement where drone previously was (AK5, 65' up). Drone surveys the area and sees nothing.

Show

Most of the party pushes forward, deeper into the grove encountering no resistance, but not Hallax. The daring catfolk heads north to sneak a peek at their surroundings without all those pesky tree trunks blocking his vision only to find that there's not much left there to look at: the flying device is gone, nothing other than the faint buzzing his ears pick up indicating it was ever there. Lucky's eagle is all too aware of the resaon why: while it was descending on the contraption, it suddenly came to life and darted south, leaving the mighty bird's talons with little more than the thin air to grab.
    Chal's eagle, on the other hand is doing somewhat better. As it begins to trace a broad circle on the sky, it can see that the figures below didn't go anywhere (although the one slumped against the small tree still looks off, as does, on closer inspection, the one leaning against a tree at the edge of the grove) and sailing further towards the south it manages to spot a sixth figure as well, standing at around the center of a large clearing.

OOC: I'm sorry to inform you that since the large eagle is acting on Lucky's iniative, it's very hard not to act before it, so the drone escapes this time.
    Hallax only sees their own eagle. Chal's eagle sees the five figures it saw before, the one on K9 and M12 (still) looking off, as well as a sixth motionless figure on P22.

Show
    Moving on to round six!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Round Six

Starting from BB-31, Yex takes another double move action to continue moving north, ending in BA-26.

As before, he is moving quietly, and he and Shassax are scanning and listening for intruders to the north and west, with Shassax paying particular attention to the skies above.

Stealth:
    Yex: (1d20+27)[38]

Perception:
    Yex: (1d20+17)[22]
    Shassax: (1d20+11)[15]

Starting from BH-26, Hallax skirts the difficult terrain and moves northwest to BA-23, again looking, listening and scenting carefully.

Stealth:
    Hallax: (1d20+23)[42]

Perception:
    Hallax: (1d20+7)[8]

At BK-35, Grathag delays his action—

…allowing Lucky to first give two quick orders to the invisible lantern archon as it reaches them: first, to suppress its natural light to candle-strength, and second, to cast Aid on Grathag.

Invisible Lantern Archon’s Aid:
    (1d8+3)[10]

Grathag now has 65 hit points. This is the fifth of seven rounds the invisible lantern archon will be active.

Lucky will then cling to Grathag’s thigh and cast Invisibility on the paladin with his wand. Lucky’s wand of Invisibility now has seven charges left.

Above the icy stream, Lucky’s eagle is stunned at the agility and speed of the flying device, but continues its attempts to follow Lucky’s command to “bring it down.” As the flying device speeds down to AL-24, Lucky’s eagle banks and wings after it, using a double move action from AK-5 to catch up to the flying device at AL-24 and circle it closely in preparation for another attack. This is the third of seven rounds that Lucky's eagle will be active.

Meanwhile, Chal—who has been standing invisibly right in front of Grathag—murmurs to the orc, allowing him to lift her easily in his arms. Once settled, Chal establishes a second life link with Yex.

With Chal in his arms, and with Lucky clinging to his leg, Grathag now takes his delayed action and begins moving west through the snow and debris beneath the clump of trees, from BK-35 to BH-35.

(This is assuming that lifting Chal into his arms counts as a move action, which seems reasonable.)

Finally, Chal’s eagle, convinced that something is terribly strange about the “invaders,” will make a quick pass over the stream and then double back heading south, scanning for additional intruders as it does so, ending at E-15 and looking carefully to the south. If it sees any intruders further south, it will let out a piercing scream.

Perception:
    Chal’s Eagle: (1d20+10)[27]

This is the fifth of five rounds Chal’s eagle will be active. Whether it spots any other intruders or not, it will vanish at the end of this round.
    Last edited by Palanan; 2021-07-02 at 02:42 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

BardGuy

Starting positions
    Spoiler
    Show

Vladimir: F13
    Drone: AL24, altitude 65 feet
    Anna: T15
    Diego: N16
    Tyler: P15
    Liza: P22
    ------
    ------
    Eagle 1 (enemy): G14
    Eagle 2 (enemy): AS16

Roleplay
    Spoiler
    Show

With the damn bird flying right above, the team members keep radio silence, and follow the last given orders.

Actions
    Spoiler
    Show

Vladimir: Stealth, move to K14. Control drone.
    Drone: Move to AT30. Go to altitude 50 feet.
    Anna: Stealth, Move to W17.
    Diego: Stealth, move to T16. Same speed in stealth.
    Tyler: Stealth, move to T17. Same speed in stealth.
    Liza: Move to R26.

Rolls
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealth (Vladimir): (1d20+12)[23]
    Stealth (Anna): (1d20+12)[32]
    Stealth (Diego): (1d20+12)[27]
    Stealth (Tyler): (1d20+12)[19]

29. - Top - End - #29

Show
    The bulk of the team moves quietly towards the eastern edge of the grove, Vladimir lagging somewhat behind and veering the drone out of the way of the large eagle pursuing it. On the screen, he sees nothing but trees and snow.
    Liza, in turn, strays even further south into the grove. Nothing and no one tries to stop her.

OOC: Large eagle is now 65' above AL24. Everything else remains unchanged.

Show
    The two cats continue heading roughly westwards. Hallax looks around from outside the grove, but there's little else to see other than the glistening snow which gives him a slight headache. Yex and Shassax are in no better position to spot much either. With the trees blocking their line of sight, they can't quite see their own eagles anymore, let alone the Enemy.
    To their southeast, the lantern archon, happy to see the only familiar face that is still visible catches up to the rest of the party just as they all pile up on poor Grathag. It finds the sight of Lucky clinging to something invisible that moves to boot mildly amusing, and so, now in a better mood it happily does as Lucky tells it, reducing the intensity of its light and bumping into the invisible paladin to cast a helpful little spell on him.
    Up in the skies, Lucky's eagle makes another futile attempt at intercepting the drone, but it dances away from its talons with ease again, shooting towards the southeast and losing some altitude. Meanwhile, Chal's eagle turns south to scan the woods, but sees nothing other than the human it previously spotted trudging forward gracelessly and disappearing under the pines before the bird itself vanishes.

OOC: Drone, now 50' up, moves to AT30. Invader on P22 continues moving south, likely ending movement on R2?.

Show
    End of round six. Round seven is up.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Round Seven

Hearing an eagle’s frustrated cry somewhere nearby, Yex pauses to look and listen carefully, paying special attention to the west and northwest.

Stealth:
    Yex: (1d20+27)[30]

Perception:
    Yex: (1d20+17)[28]
    Shassax: (1d20+11)[22]

Yex will also take this opportunity to cast Aspect of the Falcon.

From BA-23, Hallax will move quietly to AV-19 and scan carefully from west to northwest to north.

Stealth:
    Hallax: (1d20+23)[31]

Perception:
    Hallax: (1d20+7)[16]

Now invisible, carrying the invisible Chal in his arms, with Lucky clinging to his leg, Grathag takes a double move action to AW-34, and then will pause to look all around:

Perception:
    Grathag: (1d20+3)[19]

On Grathag’s leg, Lucky will command the lantern archon to suppress its light again, and he will also be looking all around:

Perception:
    Lucky: (1d20+4)[5]

If he spots or hears the flying device, or if someone else does, he will quietly tell the invisible lantern archon, “That thing is evil—burn it out of the sky.”

If the device remains unseen, he will command the invisible lantern archon to cast Aid on him.

Then Lucky will drop off Grathag’s leg and cast Invisibility on himself with his wand. Lucky’s wand of Invisibility now has six charges left.

The invisible lantern archon will either

a: rise to intercept and attack the flying device:

Invisible Lantern Archon
    Ranged Attack: 2 light rays
    (1d20+3)[11]
    (1d20+3)[21]

or b: cast Aid on Lucky:
    Aid:
    (1d8+3)[4]

Meanwhile, Lucky’s eagle will continue going after the flying device. From the eagle’s starting position at AL-24, the eagle takes a move action to catch up with the flying device at AT-30, and then angrily shrieks as it attacks.

Natural Attacks:
    2 talons:
    (1d20+3)[10]
    (1d20+3)[15]
    bite:
    (1d20+3)[13]

This is the fourth of seven rounds the large eagle will be active.

While she’s being carried, Chal will look and listen all around:

Perception:
    Chal: (1d20+12)[32]

If she spots the flying device, she will speak to the invisible lantern archon in Celestial and guide it to the flying device’s current position.

She will also take the opportunity to use a pearl of power to recall the Barkskin spell that she previously cast, and to cast it again on herself.
    Last edited by Palanan; 2021-07-03 at 09:41 AM.