1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Modern military vs. PF warband, round no. 2

Sorry forgot something
    Spoiler
    Show

Altitude for drone 30 feet.
    Last edited by Edreyn; 2021-07-16 at 09:00 AM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler: Edreyn
    Show
    With careful steps, Vladimir moves closer to the mist, stopping at its very northwestern edge. He can see the body of the archer between the trees as well as Tyler lying on the clearing to the south, but the woman is nowhere to be seen. Apparently, she's still close to the mist: the drone rises a few feet above the cloud in vain as well. Anna doesn't have better luck either: there's nothing to be seen or heard to the east either – right until the moment when she hears some hard object thump against a treetrunk to hear south, followed by a thunderous, deafening boom, not unlike the sound of a stun grenade going off.

OOC: Area within 20' of X27 and area within 20' of AD28 is still covered by mist.

Spoiler: Palanan
    Show
    Alone against the invaders, Chal glides westwards soundlessly and with great caution. She could hear an invader move somewhere to her north as well as the approaching noise of the ever-buzzing flying device from the east before she shifted away from her previous position, but where the other one could be remains a mystery for her. Undeterred, she loads a thunderstone into her sling and flings it into the mist. She can hear the stone thump against a tree to her northeast and then the thunderous, deafening boom of it going off – and then, there's silence.

OOC: Chal's still alive.
    Area within 20' of X27 and area within 20' of AD28 is still covered by mist.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Round thirty-two's upon us.

3. - Top - End - #123

BardGuy

Starting elements
    Spoiler
    Show

Vladimir: V23
    Anna: AB21
    Drone: AA30, altitude 30 feet.
    ------
    Diego: AB19 (down and stabilized)
    Tyler: O29 (down and stabilized)
    Liza: AL22 (dead)
    ------
    Enemies
    Archer: N25 (down)
    Druid: last seen at X31
    Swordsman (mannequin): AK18
    Snout-creature: AO31 (dead or dying)
    Cat: AP18 (dead)
    Knight: AK-AL22-23 (dead)
    Horse: AM-AN18-19 (dead)

Actions
    Spoiler
    Show

Vladimir: Climb on a tree on current position. If from the height detects someone - shoot. If not - ready action to shoot. If can also control drone - do it. Use stealth if applies.
    Anna: Use Stealth. Move to AD20. Attack if sees someone. If not - try to "guess" cell where the sound came from (is it Perception?) If can't guess - throw grenade on AF28.
    Drone: Altitude 50 feet. Move to cell J30, then to cell AN31.

Rolls
    Spoiler
    Show

Reflex
    Vladimir: (1d20+8)[9] (natural 1)
    Anna: (1d20+8)[10]

Escape
    Vladimir: (1d20+11)[30]
    Anna: (1d20+10)[23]

Stealth
    Vladimir: (1d20+12)[18]
    Anna: (1d20+12)[16]

Perception
    Vladimir: (1d20+11)[13]
    Anna: (1d20+11)[25]

Attack
    Vladimir: (1d20+7)[20]
    Anna: (1d20+7)[15]

Damage
    Vladimir: (4d10-2)[23]
    Anna: (4d10-2)[13]

I don't remember the damage of hand frag grenades, please roll it yourself.
    Last edited by Edreyn; 2021-07-17 at 07:05 AM.

4. - Top - End - #124

BardGuy

Again forgot roll.
    Spoiler
    Show

Climb
    Vladimir: (1d20+6)[8]

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Round Thirty-Two

Yex and Shassax each lie on the snow, unconscious but—for the moment—still alive.

From T-31, Chal will glide to Q-29 and cast Obscuring Mist again.

6. - Top - End - #126

Show

Anna fires a grenade into the cloud of fog. It explodes on impact, dispersing the mist and revealing no one hiding inside.
    Once again, the tree proves a more difficult opponent than Vladimir would like. Cursing under his breath, he looks at the screenÂ… And sees the woman gliding westwards in the clearing, stopping just short of Tyler's prone figure. In a panicked hurry, Vladimir raises his rifle and shoots. The bullet punches straight through the woman's chest, leaving a messy wound. She appears to almost lose her balance, but ultimately remains standing. A new cloud of mist bursts forth from her body, shrouding her and Tyler alike.

OOC: Anna's grenade hits nothing, but the blastwave disperses the mist.
    Vladimir hits the woman for 23 points of damage.
    Woman is now on Q29.
    New cloud of mist is covering everything within 20' of Q29.

Show
    Chal's plan seems to be working out fairly well at first: a thunderous, rumbling sound is heard from around where her thunderstone hit the tree, the same sound she heard when the slow invader launched the firebox on her. She failed to fool both of her opponents, however. Just as she stops, a mere five feet away from the man who killed Hallax, the usual flat clap echoes through the grove and a bead of pain tears itself through her chest, knocking the air out of her lungs. She very nearly falls over from the sudden force pushing her forward, but steeling herself, she manages to remain standing and she quickly shrouds the area around her.

OOC: Chal takes 23 points of piercing damage. She has 8 hp remaining.
    New cloud of mist covers area within 20' of Q29.

Show
    Round thirty-three.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Round Thirty-Three

While Yex and Shassax remain unconscious, Chal glides through the mist to Q-26, and channels for both herself and for Yex--and then listens as carefully as she can.

Channel:
    Chal: (2d6)[4]

Perception:
    Chal: (1d20+12)[19]

8. - Top - End - #128

BardGuy

Starting positions
    Spoiler
    Show

Vladimir: V23
    Anna: AD20
    Drone: Q29, altitude 50 feet.
    ------
    Diego: AB19 (down and stabilized)
    Tyler: O29 (down and stabilized)
    Liza: AL22 (dead)
    ------
    Enemies
    Archer: N25 (down)
    Druid: last seen at X31
    Swordsman (mannequin): AK18
    Snout-creature: AO31 (dead or dying)
    Cat: AP18 (dead)
    Knight: AK-AL22-23 (dead)
    Horse: AM-AN18-19 (dead)

Actions
    Spoiler
    Show

Vladimir: Control the drone. If drone finds anyone - attack. If not: move in Stealth to V22, then throw hand grenade on the center of the fog. Yeah, I know. Screw Tyler, there are no future roleplay consequences.
    Anna: Check if pig creature is still there: only if it's quick action. In any case: move to AD23 in Stealth. If knows where the enemy is - shoot. Otherwise ready attack.
    Drone: Move to K30. Move to Y35.

Rolls
    Spoiler
    Show

Reflex
    Vladimir: (1d20+8)[22]
    Anna: (1d20+8)[9]
    Tyler (if applies in his condition): (1d20+7)[19]

Escape
    Vladimir: (1d20+11)[15]
    Anna: (1d20+10)[18]

Stealth
    Vladimir: (1d20+12)[25]
    Anna: (1d20+12)[19]

Perception
    Vladimir: (1d20+11)[24]
    Anna: (1d20+11)[30]

Attack
    Vladimir: (1d20+7)[8] (natural 1)
    Anna: (1d20+7)[16]

Damage
    Vladimir: (4d10-2)[18]
    Anna: (4d10-2)[5]

Grenade
    I think those:
    6. M69 grenades; damage: 4d6 (within 15'), 2d6 (within 15-45') slashing; range: 100' (no range increment); weight: 0,8 lb;
    less then 15 feet: (4d6)[13]
    15-45 feet: (2d6)[9]
    Last edited by Edreyn; 2021-07-18 at 07:14 AM.

9. - Top - End - #129

Show
    Looking through the scope of her rifle, Anna locates the broken body of the creature with a snout (an oversized rodent, perhaps?) with incredible ease. She sends a bullet flying towards their fallen foe; the shot finds its mark, but the snouted creature doesn't stir.
    Vladimir, in the meantime, has the drone complete another flyover above the grove. Unable to find the woman anywhere else, he concludes that she must still be within the mist and tosses a grenade into the cloud. It does not prove to be the brightest of ideas. The explosive device goes off, blowing away the fog alright – but some of the sharp fragments fly all the way back to Vladimir who's almost too slow to swerve out of their way and the woman, standing just where he last saw her, looks barely worse for wear – much unlike poor Tyler – and manages to shift a bit further away, making the air ripple around her in an ever-spreading circle.

OOC: Snout is apparently more of a rat than a pig. Anna would also bet they are quite thoroughly dead.
    Woman is hit for 6 points of damage. She's on Q26.
    Archer is hit for 9 points of damage.
    Vladimir is about to take damage, but evades.
    Tyler takes 13 points of damage – only to be healed for 4 points of damage immediately afterwards. He's stable at -7 hp.
    The mist is gone.

Show
    Before Chal can carry out her plan, a flat clap is heard in the distance, followed by the sound of the flying device buzzing past and a soft thud as a firebox lands beside her in the snow, going off in a thunderous burst of fire and pain, burning away her mist. When she opens her eyes she is surprised to find she's singed and blooded, but otherwise fine. Clealy, her god is smiling on her – but not on Yex. The catfolk was caught in the explosion as well, as did the man who killed Hallax, but – to add insult to injury – he appears to have survived as well.
    Trying to hold what can be held, Chal glides a bit to the north and sends forth a burst of positive energy.

OOC: Chal takes 6 points of slashing damage and heals for 4; she now has 6 hp remaining.
    Yex takes 9 points of slashing damage only to be healed for 4; he's stable at -9 hp.
    The mist is gone.

Show
    Round thirty-four begins.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2021-07-18 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Â.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Round Thirty-Four

Chal will move to Yex if she can, kneel in front of him with hands spread wide and head bowed, channeling energy one last time, and commending herself into the care of the Lady.

Channel:
    Chal: (2d6)[8]

11. - Top - End - #131

BardGuy

Roleplay
    Spoiler
    Show

- Wait, Anna. I feel something suspicious about this swirling air around the witch.
    - Why, you feel that it can deflect bullets and send them back to us?
    - I do, actually.
    - Not gonna laugh at you. With all we saw here...
    - Listen, I'll send a drone to ram the witch. If the drone will bypass this swirling air around her, I'll shoot myself. If the bullet won't fly back into my face, join the party.
    - Thanks for chivalry man!

Actions
    Spoiler
    Show

Comment first: I think everyone used one grenade, so both have one left. Also, I believe the woman uses some kind of area healing spell, but want to check if it isn't deflection spell, just in case.

Vladimir: Control drone. If drone passes the swirling wind (even if woman dodges), Vladimir shoots. If not, there goes a grenade, one cell to the right of woman. Don't move.
    Drone: Try to move drone 10 cells away, then get it to woman's face altitude and ram it into woman. (Can it distract from casting spells)?
    Anna: Only and only if Vladimir's bullet was deflected back into him, throw a grenade one cell to the right of woman. In all other cases: shoot. Don't move.

Question
    Spoiler
    Show

Do you check if Tyler's grenades and landmines can explode when another grenade explodes nearby?

Rolls
    Spoiler
    Show

Reflex (should I keep rolling it?)
    Vladimir: (1d20+8)[12]
    Anna: (1d20+8)[23]

Escape (should I keep rolling it?)
    Vladimir: (1d20+11)[29]
    Anna: (1d20+10)[11] (natural 1)

Stealth
    (useless here)

Perception
    Vladimir: (1d20+11)[23]
    Anna: (1d20+11)[29]

Attack
    Vladimir: (1d20+7)[19]
    Anna: (1d20+7)[17]

Damage (rifles)
    Vladimir: (4d10-2)[12]
    Anna: (4d10-2)[28]

Damage (grenades)
    Below 15 feet
    Vladimir: (4d6)[14]
    Anna: (4d6)[16]

Between 15 and 45
    Vladimir: (2d6)[3]
    Anna: (2d6)[3]
    Last edited by Edreyn; 2021-07-18 at 10:31 AM.

12. - Top - End - #132

Show
    On Vladimir's command, the drone draws closer to the woman and slams into her face. Seeing that no strange field of deflection pushes it away, Vladimir shoulders his rifle one last time and pulls the trigger. The shot connects, diving into the woman's torso and she collapses. Anna appears behind him, firing a shot of her own. The woman's head bursts, spilling blood all over the snow.
    The two snipers stiffen for a moment, looking around and listening intently, but the woods are empty and quiet. It's over and they live and they won.

OOC: Woman takes 40 points of damage. No one could survive that.
    Moved Anna to W22 to deliver the killing shot. Vladimir KOd Chal anyway and she didn't have line of sight from where she was.

Show
    Having failed to get Yex back on his feet, Chal turns to try again, heading for the unconscious ranger. She doesn't get far: first, the flying device darts into view, slamming into her face. It hardly leaves a bruise, but as she looks at it flustered, two clapping sounds are heard and beads of pain sink into her flesh. She understands that it's over. She'll never reach Yex.
    And the rest is darkness.

OOC: Chal takes 40 points of damage. She is dead.

The battle is over. Team INvaders has won.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Very definitively.

Thanks to Edreyn for the excellent match, and to Metastachydium for going above and beyond as DM. I'll have some more detailed after-action comments in the OOC thread.

14. - Top - End - #134

BardGuy

What a great game! Thank you both, I greatly enjoyed it!
    I will also give more detail in OOC.

Last roleplay post:

As the witch collapses on the snow, obviously dead, a great silence falls on this part of the forest. Both snipers breath heavily, only now understanding how tough the battle truly was. Drone still buzzes to the south, but except this, the forest is silent. Deadly silent.

- Is... that the last one? - Anna asks.
    - Yes... I think so. We killed the witch.

Anna, while a soldier, is still a woman, and she now begins to shake.

- What kind of place is this damn world?! Something like an Animal Farm, with sapient animals? The witch was the only woman among those we fought, everything else were animals!
    - I read about worlds with sapient animals too, but never expected to really meat those... cats walking on two legs and those damn over-grown rats! Even the horse seemed to have mind of it's own! And that robot that appeared out of nowhere. Well, at least it didn't cause us any harm!
    - They butchered Liza. Damn them! Vladimir, you are the only one who I am confessing to, and hope you won't say it to anyone, ever. I dreamed to kill Liza myself. I hated her from the very first day. Dreams of shooting on her from behind, in a middle of an operation made me smile even in most ugly situations.
    - Well, better be thankful that the bear in knight armor, or whoever is he really, did this for you. I don't want to lose you to court-martial.
    - Speaking of court-martial, what about Tyler? My grenade exploded somewhere near him. Or it was yours. If he survived, he'd be mad. He'll eagerly have us placed against the wall!
    - Victors are not to be judged, remember this saying? It was a commander of our home country who said this. And Diego especially likes this phrase too!
    - Speaking of Diego, is he alive?
    - Damn, I hope he is! If he made it, it's our chance to be rewarded and not executed - even if Tyler reports that we threw a grenade on him!
    - Then we better check...
    ---
    Diego feels that someone is bandaging his wounds. What are they using, they didn't bring any bandages... huh? Did they tear his own uniform? Well, why bother, at least he is alive. It must his guys helping him, natives wouldn't bother. Before his consciousness slips again, Diego promises himself to reward his brave soldiers.
    ---
    - You damn bastards, - Tyler hisses, when waking from warm hands rubbing his face, while another pair is stretching something over his chest, - your damn grenade almost finished me off.
    - Almost doesn't count, pal, - a female voice answers, but the buzzing in Tyler's head bothers him to concentrate.
    - Did you kill those remaining? - he asks, still barely concentrating and trying to keep awake.
    - Yes, don't worry, - another voice, this time belonging to a male answers.
    - Good... they didn't kill you, so I'll do it myse... and conscience slips. The last words he still hears are: "Good that Diego..."
    ---
    - Look, Vladimir, the cat is breathing!
    - Wow! It really must have a willpower to live. No one would survive that damage.
    - Well, not for long, let me just...
    - Stop!
    - Huh?
    - If we bring a living specimen for interrogation and maybe also scientific examination they will surely promote us, and even tell Tyler to go sleep with himself.
    - Oh, you are right. Didn't have this in mind. Let me just search and take all his weapons, and you tie his paws behind back, and just in case put something in his mouth.
    - Okay.
    ---
    - My back is breaking.
    - We had to drag all three back to portal. If we would leave our guys they could freeze to death, and the cat could escape. Now guys from the base will help us... here they are coming.
    Last edited by Edreyn; 2021-07-18 at 01:30 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135

A few hours later

This is the place. The place with the creek and the trees and the disturbed snow that the Voice showed him. From up close, it looks even more macabre than it did in the vision. The tengu picking his way through the snow shudders. He doesn't need Deathwatch to tell that most of these are dead. One has practically no face remaining. Another, in strange, alien garbs, is lying headless in the snow, marred here and there by large circles of soot.
    He has to remind himself that he has a mission here to be able to press on, towards the grove further to the west. And there it is, among the trees: a small, barely visible spot that screams "alive". Alive, but fragile. Very fragile. He approaches the body with great care. He would have difficulty telling that there still is life in the small body of the bird if he didn't knew. He touches the falcon, letting magic flow into her body, to stave off death and protect her from the cold.
    Shassax wakes up, feeling weak, but alive. The beaked head of another bird is looking down at her with sympathy in his beady eyes.
    "Come, little one." he says at last. "We have to go."