New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Hell of a Party! - IC Thread

Lady Cylla smiles a bit at Lora's expression. The effect, on an ogre's face, is not reassuring.

I'm sorry this couldn't be much of a social occasion. Perhaps next festival time.

Anyway, it's sad for the Vizier to say this, but I'm not sure who'd be kidnapping him. Not that there's a shortage of candidates. Any of half a dozen Earls have an eye on the throne. If half the rumours of his mother are true, there may be extraplanar forces at work. And, of course, there are always profiteers and such looking for an opportunity.

She turns her gaze to Thok.

You are correct, sir. And it's harder than you may think. Pirot is an independent spirit, and will not take kindly to an attempt to "coddle" him with extra guards. Parfitt has already turned down my request to postpone the party, although he has put on extra guards at all the entrances. And of course, we maintain magical wards over the castle against those who might wish to enter intangibly, by teleport or from another plane.

The ogre gestures to the woman in the cot.

But I've been...awfully busy lately, dying and all, and I'm sure that there are things I'm missing.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Talia

"I wish you had told me it was a costume party... this could have been so much more interesting..."

Talia sighs, and flexes her wings.

"Oh well. So long as you know the price for services like mine... hm. I wonder, though, if the usual rate applies right now. I should look into that, it could be important."

She laughs softly.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

The ogre raises a shaggy eyebrow.

And that would be?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Miloen

Miloen speaks a few words in the arcane language, hands making gestures, before he shifts and compacts, a kobold now staring at the ogre.

"When your time comes, it comes, but may I help to heal the stress on your body until then, my lady? The light of the divine can at least let your body rest easier until final resting comes to you."
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Talia

"Well, you know... a promise here, a favor there... nothing major. we can work it out later."

She laughs again; a soft, airy, infectious sort of laughter...

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

The ogre smiles at the kobold/priest.

Aren't you a gallant one? Softest hands I'd have had on me for a few months now. But no, with thanks. I'm resting about as comfortably as possible, under the circumstances.

And back to Talia.

Well, my work isn't so very far off from yours, in some ways, Talia. Promises and favours are my stock in trade.

Her chuckle rumbles deep, rising at the end.

Oh, there's some stupid rule Pirot's made about "no divinations in the ballroom." Something about maintaining everyone's privacy - so that they can act as they feel, some bacchanalian nonsense, no doubt. I'm not sure how they'd enforce it, or if they'll even try, but I thought you should know.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Mileon

"As you wish then." Miloen keeps the form of the kobold though, for his 'costume.'

"Are there any particular offers you might make for payment? Understand that I wish for new experiences as much as, if not more, than I do currency, if you would. Gold comes and goes."
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Talia

"You know, I could probably help you get back in there..."

Talia motions towards the woman's body.

"I know a guy that knows a guy..."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Miloen

"If her body is dying, then it is quite likely that it is not strong enough to support a still able mind, which would be why she is borrowing the body of a guard. There are those that refuse to accept death until it's last moments, trying to pull every bit of experience out of life that they can."

Don't be stupid.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

The ogre Cylla simply smiles at the references to her body.

Payment other than gold...

Well, if things go right - or wrong, depending on how you look at it - I suspect that a title would be offered. You could play politics, I suppose. It's a game that rarely goes out of style. I myself have some interesting research that I might consider sharing with another practitioner such as yourself.

Anything more...vigorous than that, I'm sure, Miss Talia here would be better at demonstrating than I ever could.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Miloen

"Research and politics sound interesting enough, I would think. What would you have us do with your errant prince then, just keep near him?"

Don't be stupid.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Talia

Talia glances absentmindedly at Miloen, then looks to Cylla again and laughs.

"Why, whatever do you mean?"

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ogrish faces have a natural predisposition for blankness. Normally, this is an impediment when trying to convey information.

Sometimes, however, it is a positive boon. As when, for instance, Cylla turns to gaze at Talia.

Smiling eventually, she turns back to Miloen.

Well, lurking in his immediate vicinity is unlikely to work - he'll make you for guards in minutes. Pirot is cavalier, but not stupid. You might consider working the room, since there's a good chance that the nabbers will be coming from within.

She glances over at Lora.

If nothing else, Lord Yendrik will take a shine to you in a heartbeat.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Lora

Lora smiles, puzzled. "I'm afraid I haven't heard of him... then again, I haven't heard of very many people here at all. Why?"

She considers Cylla's words. "The prince doesn't want to be guarded... well, the young will be young. I did rather hope to meet him, though. It would be a shame to miss him at a party in his honor."
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

"Is there any distinctive smell to the prince, a special frangrance or anything? That would allow me to keep track of him throughout the room and track him should he leave anywhere."

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Cylla smiles at Lora.

Well, he likes power, flowers, and pretty girls. Guess which ones I was thinking about?

And I'm not saying you shouldn't meet the Prince, but there will be close to two hundred guests here tonight. He's the main attraction, so there'll be a lot of vying for places close to him. Staying right on him will, I suspect, draw attention. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Sorry, Feng, I don't think I could really say what the Prince smells like. He wears a lot of leather, and works out a lot. Does that help?

17. - Top - End - #47
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

"I will simply have to get close enough to him to get a good idea of his scent and I believe either of the aesthyr could get the prince's attention."
    Last edited by cRySTaL*NiNjA; 2007-11-15 at 07:18 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Well, I've got a few other arrangements to take care of for this evening, and if the four of you are going to work together at all, I should probably give you some time to do that. If you exit, Senna should be there to show you to a private chamber - you've got about an hour before most of the guests will start arriving. You'll want to decide whether you wish to be announced, in which case Senna will slip you back around to the front entrance, or not, in which case he'll slide you in from a side chamber. There are still a few in this empire that care about ceremony.

That is, unless you have any more questions for me?

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Miloen

"I'm fine with a quiet entrance, myself. Announced, I think, would put more eyes on me."

Don't be stupid.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Lora

Lora looks indecisive for a moment. "Well, announcing us would draw more attention... but wouldn't not announcing us also draw attention, if people noticed we hadn't been announced? And if we came in like everyone else, we'd seem like just another guest... oh, I don't know." She glances at the others to see what they think.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

The ogre shrugs at Lora's question.

There are always those who are checking off mental lists. On the other hand, while I'd like to believe that you'll be the only guests sneaking in the side...well, I don't run the place.

Content that the four are ready for their own deliberations, the ogre barks out "Senna!" and the door opens. The man draws the four out into the hallway, and the door closes quietly behind them.

Back in the hallway, Senna nods respectfully and gestures for the four to follow him. He leads them down to a door on the other side of the hallway, leading to a small receiving room. Inside, there is an elegant and slightly ancient looking set of chairs arranged in a rough circle, to which has been added a rather massive oak stool. A counter in one corner bears a wide array of coloured decanters, and crystal glasses.

From a ventilation hole in the ceiling, warm air wafts in, accompanied by the the distant strans of brass instruments.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Talia

"Well now, well now... this looks like fun, doesn't it?"

Talia leans on one of the chairs, and stretches her wings luxuriously. She turns her head to look at the others around her, and smiles.

"So tell me. What sorts of things do you want to see happen, hm?"

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

"As much as I would enjoy an all out vargach, that doesn't seem to be the best thing," Thok said while reclining back against the wall stretching out his wings. If any of you would like to have your name called out at the door go right ahead, but I don't think many people will be comfortable to hear "Now arriving, Thok the Destroyer," and I know that I can at least be myself in a costume party.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Lora

Lora looks at the winged woman, slightly confused. "I'm not quite sure what you mean... I suppose I'd like it if nobody tried to kidnap the prince, and we could all enjoy ourselves." She falls silent, fidgeting a bit, but the minotaur's comment does remind her of something.

"Well," she laughs, "you wouldn't tell them to call you the Destroyer. That's not a very nice title anyway. But that reminds me—none of us have been introduced. I'm Lora."
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2007-11-18 at 03:23 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Miloen

"I am Miloen."

Miloen frowns, before he walks to the other side of the room and starts whispering to himself.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "No, Yes, Yes, No, not to your advantage."

Don't be stupid.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Talia

"Well, of course I want to learn more about you! What you like, what you're best at... that sort of thing. Getting to know you getting to know me, learning how to work together and having a bit of fun. I'm sure you know the drill.

You can call me Talia, by the way."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Lora

Once she realizes Miloen probably doesn't want her to hear, Lora tries to stop listening to his mutterings.

"Oh... well, I'm afraid I don't, really. I haven't spent a lot of time in cities," she confesses. "I suppose I like seeing new people and places, or learning more about the ones I already know," she continues uncertainly, not sounding entirely sure how to answer. She's never really been asked to describe herself like that before.

"What about you?" she asks, hoping to deflect attention away from that fact.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Talia

"Oh really? So you travel a lot then? It's fun, don't you think? Although I must confess, I'm a city girl myself, so it's always a bit more about the destination than the journey for me...

But don't be shy! You can't mean to tell me you don't have a talent you're proud of, right? What do you do? What can you do?"

Talia grins, revealing her perfect teeth.

"And don't you boys be shy, either."

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Miloen

Miloen walks back over to the others, his muttering to himself done. I am a priest of Zagyg, and I am also a sorcerer of decent ability. I've been traveling recently, gaining knowledge and wisdom of this area. I've found many interesting things, and hope to find more. I must admit, I'm actually looking for experiences outside of my normal duties, which is what drew me here. A chance to see how others live, as it were."

Don't be stupid.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Lora

"Travelling is fun," she agrees, "although sometimes I like to stay in the same place for a while, too."

"And... oh, I suppose I've always been rather good at talking to trees?"
    She shrugs slightly, which makes a rustling sound. "Most people can't do that, although I don't know why..."