New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Hilarious things you've found in RAW?

Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok View Post
    "One spell slot eight levels higher than the innate spell is permanently used to power it" means that if you don't have a spell slot eight levels higher, you can't power the spell-like ability, i.e. you can't use it. Seems like the most obvious reading to me.
    Except it doesn't say anything about if you don't have that spell slot.

You're interpreting, not reading exactly what's written. what you referenced doesn't even interact with the rules at all, unless someone has a reference for "uses spell slot to power it" having an explicit example elsewhere.

In fact, with the other text, RAI it doesn't even actually do anything to the spell slot, you just have to *have* a spell slot of that level open to use it, sorta like the reserve feats.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie Pyro View Post
    Because it's RAW,
    RAW isn't a real thing.

and that is the logic chain.
    It is a logic chain, one that arrives at a nonsensical conclusion that directly contradicts the clear intent of the

By all means, present yours.
    My interpretation is: The feat says "One spell slot eight levels higher than the innate spell is permanently used to power it", so you have to have a spell slot eight levels higher than the innate spell.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    RAW isn't a real thing.
    {scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-02-01 at 04:01 PM.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

{scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    I did, yes. The fact that people assert that RAW exists doesn't make it do so.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-02-01 at 04:01 PM.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I did, yes. The fact that people assert that RAW exists doesn't make it do so.
    Imean, we can say the same thing in reverse. And the fact that we can discuss rules, as they have been written, certainly seems to indicate that "rules as written" exists. And that's before we consider that "the letter of the law vs the spirit of the law" as a concept has existed for quite some time.

Now, back to the thread purpose, are we counting just the most obvious formatting errors? Because Complete Adventurer printed the Vigilante Prestige Class, which could learn up to 4 3rd level spells and 4 4th level spells. But there was an error in the spells per day column. You would never get any 4th level spells by pure RAW, though, and would be MASSIVELY overpowered instead - at level 7, instead of getting 2 3rd level spells and 0 4th level spells per day, you would instead get 20 3rd level spells per day. At 8th level, 31 spells per day. All ten levels in Vigilante, you only know 4 3rd level spells but you can cast them 33 times a day. You also know 4 4th level spells that you can never cast, but hey, that tradeoff might well be worth it.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-02-01 at 04:21 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Bugbear in the Playground

You're interpreting, not reading exactly what's written.
    There is a difference between interpreting and comprehending. In this case there is no difference between the rules as written and the rules as intended. {Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Pirate ninja; 2022-02-02 at 06:17 PM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Now, back to the thread purpose, are we counting just the most obvious formatting errors? Because Complete Adventurer printed the Vigilante Prestige Class, which could learn up to 4 3rd level spells and 4 4th level spells. But there was an error in the spells per day column. You would never get any 4th level spells by pure RAW, though, and would be MASSIVELY overpowered instead - at level 7, instead of getting 2 3rd level spells and 0 4th level spells per day, you would instead get 20 3rd level spells per day. At 8th level, 31 spells per day. All ten levels in Vigilante, you only know 4 3rd level spells but you can cast them 33 times a day. You also know 4 4th level spells that you can never cast, but hey, that tradeoff might well be worth it.
    Were there any useful spells on it's list at 3rd though? And you could cast 4th level... if you had the Versatile spellcaster feat.

Quote Originally Posted by redking View Post
    There is a difference between interpreting and comprehending. In this case there is no difference between the rules as written and the rules as intended. Scrub the post, scrub the quote
    Oh, please explain the error in logic then{Scrubbed}

remember that some rules text still ends up being descriptive only, for instance:

"A grease spell covers a solid surface with a layer of slippery grease."

that line is rules text, but doesn't actually describe anything mechanically.
    Last edited by Pirate ninja; 2022-02-02 at 06:25 PM.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Closed for review.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

9. - Top - End - #159
    Pirate in the Playground Moderator

PirateWench

Modly Roger:

Thread reopened, please treat each other respectfully.
    Last edited by Pirate ninja; 2022-02-02 at 06:43 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Barbarian in the Playground

I, personally, find slings absolutely hilarious in DnD. By the rules, they are a simple weapon with very low range doing little damage.

In reality, they are THE hardest weapon to learn to use proficiently (beating even things like nunchucks, flails and san jie gun), do damage comparable with a musket (albeit their anti-armor performance isn't very good) and I, personally, can sling a baseball to about 150 meters (450 feet). Good slingers can get to about 200 (600) with a baseball/rock and 400 (1200) with a shaped bullet.

I don't think I've ever seen a TTRPG get a weapon this badly wrong. Unlesss it was FATAL.
    That which does not kill you made a tactical error.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Greywolf View Post
    I, personally, find slings absolutely hilarious in DnD. By the rules, they are a simple weapon with very low range doing little damage.

In reality, they are THE hardest weapon to learn to use proficiently (beating even things like nunchucks, flails and san jie gun), do damage comparable with a musket (albeit their anti-armor performance isn't very good) and I, personally, can sling a baseball to about 150 meters (450 feet). Good slingers can get to about 200 (600) with a baseball/rock and 400 (1200) with a shaped bullet.

I don't think I've ever seen a TTRPG get a weapon this badly wrong. Unlesss it was FATAL.
    It's widely accepted opinion: when WotC wrote rules for sling, they actually thought "slingshot" - thus the inconsistencies

One more well-known mistake with a weapon: scythes
    Nothing majorly wrong with the mechanics, but the actual battle scythe looks like this:

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Slings are one of those things where people think it underscores how much David was the underdog vs. Goliath, but actually it's just a really good weapon and him using a sling wasn't the issue in that matchup.
    It was basically the Indiana Jones scene where the swordsman does some impressive maneuvers and then Indy just shoots him. Solid rock straight to the dome. Physical size and reach doesn't do much against someone with a ranged weapon that can cause lethal damage through armor.

People like to think that slings are really inaccurate and not that great because they're kind of hard to use, but if you do know how to use them (say, from being a bored shepherd who's practiced for years to scare away lions) then they're a lethal weapon of war.

Really, if anything, they should be Martial weapons if not outright Exotic... and on a related note the firearms in the DMG shouldn't be Exotic, they should be Simple. (Anyone being able to use one was the big appeal, after all!)

13. - Top - End - #163
    Firbolg in the Playground

Has anyone pointed out that as written the Darkness spell can actually make things brighter, since it sets the level of light to shadowy illumination, and therefore would actually brighten a room that was pitcch dark
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

14. - Top - End - #164
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I mean, the real funny thing about the RAW weapon table is that they decided to individually stat out so many weapons, but not really give most of them a reason to ever be used.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas
    Has anyone pointed out that as written the Darkness spell can actually make things brighter, since it sets the level of light to shadowy illumination, and therefore would actually brighten a room that was pitcch dark
    And this could all have been avoided if it had been named "shadow", because you have to have a source of light to make a shadow. then we wouldn't need "deeper darkness" just darkness.

15. - Top - End - #165

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    That was one thing Pathfinder unambiguously did better. Light spells (or the sun) set the ambient, and darkness spells reduced it (although illumination that wasn't the sun was usually overridden by darkness). Reduce it to where everything is shadowy, and the lowlight guys are happy. Reduce it so only darkvision works, and they're happy. Absolutely black it out, and the Grimlocks are happy. To cancel out an effect set by a light or darkness spell you had to be equal spell level, to override it you had to be higher spell level (basically same as 3.5).

16. - Top - End - #166

The Half-Dragon template say absolutely nothing about the character's aging and longevity.

So by RAW, a half-human/half-dragon still ages like a baseline human.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

17. - Top - End - #167

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    The Half-Dragon template say absolutely nothing about the character's aging and longevity.

the template doesnt but later books elaborated on this. the draconomicon or races of the dragon iirc.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

It also has no restrictions on having the template multiple times, so realistically speaking, every single true dragon should have it twice, as they're two-halves dragon.

In a less stupid sense, It does actually mean that a mixed-species dragon would be more powerful potentially, if you used the stronger parent as the base race and applied half dragon from the other.
    Last edited by Pinkie Pyro; 2022-02-04 at 11:50 AM.

19. - Top - End - #169

And where is the hilarious thing?
    shipping Sabine/Vaarsuvius

20. - Top - End - #170

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini476 View Post
    Slings are one of those things where people think it underscores how much David was the underdog vs. Goliath, but actually it's just a really good weapon and him using a sling wasn't the issue in that matchup.
    It was basically the Indiana Jones scene where the swordsman does some impressive maneuvers and then Indy just shoots him. Solid rock straight to the dome. Physical size and reach doesn't do much against someone with a ranged weapon that can cause lethal damage through armor.
    Slings are about on par with late medieval warbows, whether longbows or Ottoman, albeit a lot worse against solid plate armor. The David vs Goliath story was a big deal because David was a slinger so skilled he could land a called shot in the middle of the forehead - that skill was what was exceptional, not the damage done.

People like to think that slings are really inaccurate and not that great because they're kind of hard to use, but if you do know how to use them (say, from being a bored shepherd who's practiced for years to scare away lions) then they're a lethal weapon of war.
    I mean, you need to spend ten times the training time than for a longbow, and you get a weapon that matches it, but is worse against armor.

Really, if anything, they should be Martial weapons if not outright Exotic... and on a related note the firearms in the DMG shouldn't be Exotic, they should be Simple. (Anyone being able to use one was the big appeal, after all!)
    Exotic no contest. I can use a longbow or a halberd just fine, and you get to be proficient in using them in a few months. Longbow will take about as long, depending on how physically fit you are. A sling... well, after about half a year, you will no longer be a danger to your own side and able to hit large formations on a good day. You can do that day 1 with a longbow, provided you can draw it.
    That which does not kill you made a tactical error.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

In a less stupid sense, It does actually mean that a mixed-species dragon would be more powerful potentially, if you used the stronger parent as the base race and applied half dragon from the other.
    Huh. So in a non-vacuum setting where things aren't controlled from getting out of hand by writers, mixed race dragons would out compete their pure breed cousins?

Interesting... (furiously scribes notes for no reason)
    Last edited by Promethean; 2022-02-04 at 02:06 PM.

22. - Top - End - #172

Exotic no contest. I can use a longbow or a halberd just fine, and you get to be proficient in using them in a few months. Longbow will take about as long, depending on how physically fit you are. A sling... well, after about half a year, you will no longer be a danger to your own side and able to hit large formations on a good day. You can do that day 1 with a longbow, provided you can draw it.
    And on the reverse side, guns should be simple weapons. The whole point of them is their streamlined design and simple point-and-click interface
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

23. - Top - End - #173
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Promethean View Post
    Huh. So in a non-vacuum setting where things aren't controlled from getting out of hand by writers, mixed race dragons would out compete their pure breed cousins?

Interesting... (furiously scribes notes for no reason)
    yeah turns out inbreeding is bad, who knew?

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    And on the reverse side, guns should be simple weapons. The whole point of them is their streamlined design and simple point-and-click interface
    I don't think the simple/martial/exotic trichotomy is meant to represent how easy it is to learn to use a weapon; rather, it's meant to restrict access to the mechanically better weapons. Martial weapons are, by and large, better than similar simple weapons, and exotic weapons are either better than similar martial weapons or are monk weapons. Thus, access to the superior martial weapons requires either that you have levels in a martial class or spend a feat, and access to the even more superior exotic weapons requires even martial characters to spend a feat. It's purely a game balance decision as to what category a weapon falls into.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think the simple/martial/exotic trichotomy is meant to represent how easy it is to learn to use a weapon; rather, it's meant to restrict access to the mechanically better weapons. Martial weapons are, by and large, better than similar simple weapons, and exotic weapons are either better than similar martial weapons or are monk weapons. Thus, access to the superior martial weapons requires either that you have levels in a martial class or spend a feat, and access to the even more superior exotic weapons requires even martial characters to spend a feat. It's purely a game balance decision as to what category a weapon falls into.
    As opposed to making like Full Plate and having the bar to entry be a price tag well out of reach of 1st-level characters? Or using realistic reload times to make the things irrelevant to PCs without dramatic interventions of magic and feats? Or even make the EWP for something other than avoiding an attack roll penalty, like avoiding the previous!

26. - Top - End - #176

yeah turns out inbreeding is bad, who knew?
    Hybrid vigour, or heterosis, is also a well-known phenomenon.
    Spoiler: In case this signature gets lengthy
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    A game setting does need to be designed to be fun and functional to game in.

But there's more to good worldbuilding than piling the "parts to game in" on a big pile.

Farmland isn't there to be adventured in, primarily, but one assumes it's still there and part of the landscape -- just because adventurers don't go there often doesn't mean it doesn't or shouldn't or needn't exist.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

Until the Races of the Dragon, I was pretty sure it was intended like this

Quote Originally Posted by Promethean View Post
    So, like asari in Mass Effect? (Except no Ardat-Yakshi equivalent)

28. - Top - End - #178

ClericGuy

Actually I find the fact that dragons can breed with ANYTHING corporeal pretty hilarious.
    “Half-dragon” is an inherited template that can be added to any living, corporeal creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature).
    I'm not sure exactly how even with polymorph-assisted relationships a half-dragon-ooze works, but....it seems to. The baby ooze gets 6 skill points a racial level...minus int modifiers, but int is raised 2 and it is now dragon type, so it isn't mindless anymore...

We had a GM take it to silly extremes early in 3.0 (the half dragon stirges that swarmed us and all breathed at once got one player to get up and walk away from the table for good...). But basically the dragon at the bottom of that dungeon had bred with pretty much everything in the dungeon...

Living Greyhawk had a red dragon Morgenstaler in the Bandit Kingdoms famous for sleeping with anything (odd half dragon encounters in his area were famous and he'd get mad if he found out you killed any of them) and there was one scenario where he romanced a PC, took her out on a date and she could end up with an egg to raise.... (I had a character who had the distinction of being REJECTED by him, which was crushing for her, since a half dragon GOAT was encountered later...)

Things you have a character say on the last day of the convention that squick out the party "I have wildshape, if goats are what he is into...."
    Last edited by Seward; 2022-02-09 at 12:53 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179

It also has no restrictions on having the template multiple times, so realistically speaking, every single true dragon should have it twice, as they're two-halves dragon.

Do note that the half-dragon template can't be applied to a dragon, per RotD p72.

Since the half-dragon template can apply to any living creature type other than dragons, a nearly limitless variety of possible half-dragons exist.
    So for a mixed-species dragon to be more powerful than the full-blooded parent, the non-dragon parent would need to be as strong as (or barely less powerful than) the dragon parent.

30. - Top - End - #180

Quote Originally Posted by Wildstag View Post
    Do note that the half-dragon template can't be applied to a dragon, per RotD p72.
    That's certainly not what the primary source says:

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Dragon Template
    Creating A Half-Dragon: "Half-dragon" is an inherited template that can be added to any living, corporeal creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature).