New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Racoon City Heroes [IC]

- I see... - said Nathaniel. What she told him was very, very interesting, even if she didn't fully realized that. Something was definitely smelly there, but there was not enough data to tell what.

His brows united, when he was thinking rapidly, but then he stopped. No reason to get overworked over something like that. When being Sewer Rat, he will definitelly get to work on that and do some research, but now he was Nathan, so he should enjoy time with his boyfriend and his family.

- Well, at least it's all over now, innit? - he asked, beaming.
    LGBTinP 🏳️*🌈, Furry 🐾, European 🇪🇺 & Schizophreniac ♿, possibly a Weirdo 😜
    Fursona by Sirodbcollie from Twitter

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

2. - Top - End - #92
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Looking at the mess and the area, Avi quickly determines that the thing doesn't look very vertically inclined. If she can lure it into some kind of pit, it won't be dead or anything, but it won't be much danger, and she'll have ample time to take care of it. Luckily for her, there is a nearby foundation in progress-not a perfect trap, but good enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by roko10 View Post
    Soon after THE MIGHTY STEELHEART! took to the streets, however, he encountered his first threat of today- the same tentacle-ooze monster that's terrorizing two construction workers, and which Avi's currently preparing to square up against. "Whisper! Mind if I give you a hand?" he shouted in a booming voice.
    Whisper sped up and started circling around the area, scoping out the best way to knock that thing into the nearby pit. She'd have to be quick and careful. Her usual trick(s) of clouding minds with fear and/or influencing them telepathically would not be very effective here (she assumed).

Just then Steelheart contacted her. She wasn't... upset that he showed up. But this little outing was as much to clear her mind as it was anything else. And so having someone else do the work (and, truth be told, he was much better suited) was sort of counter-intuitive.

But, she reminded herself, there was a for real person down there terrified, and who doesn't much care about my domestic squabbles.

"Steelheart!" she called out, as cheerfully as she could manage, "Glad you're here! I'm not so good at messing with things that don't have minds. So, yeah, I'd love your help. I'm thinking we can herd it into that construction pit over there. You see it? You push and I'll come nudge?"
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

3. - Top - End - #93
    Colossus in the Playground

Mrs. Lovelace smiles. "It is-although I think a certain someone should rearrange their schedule to help drive me instead of making me take public transit."

"We'll figure it out, sweetie," Mr. Lovelace says, and holds his wife's hand.

The tentacular horrors split, one moving towards the thundering ground caused by Steelheart, the other trying to reach up for Whisper. She bobs herself up, dodging a surprisingly-long tentacle that almost wraps around her ankle.

Blobbing across the construction site, the horror aiming for Steelheart shoots one of its inky pseudopods out. It bashes into the young man's shoulder, knocking him only a little off-kilter. They're strong-but not THAT strong.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Nate smiled kindly, and also hold out for Stephen hand. He kinda didn't know what else he could say, but, maybe, there was no need for it?

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

5. - Top - End - #95

There's a few quiet moments in Mrs. Lovelace's room. Stephen sneaks a quick kiss onto Nate's cheek while his parents are distracted, and life is good. For those few moments, in your boyfriend's arms, surrounded by family and love... It's hard to see how anything could go wrong.

That's when the screams start.

Show
    Show

Show

6. - Top - End - #96

Whisper recoils when the tentacle thing reaches out and almost grabs her. She is struck by the thought that Goliath would have no trouble with this thing. Aside from being one of Halcyon City's most powerful psychics, Goliath was also super big and super strong.

No wonder everyone thinks he's always right, she thinks, bitterly, aware it's unfair even as she forms the thought, No wonder *I* think he's always right.

Goliath, of course, had the privilege of being direct. Direct combat. Meet foes direct. Be direct with his protege. Fine enough for him to just call her up and tell her how to be a hero and tell her what she can and can't do. Easy for him. His whole life has been just one long strong of meaty fists into faces for years and years. Avi was not so lucky. Avi was smaller. Avi was less. Avi had to be heroic in the margins. Avi had to be a hero more carefully.

By the time she even realized what she was doing, she'd already slowed and banked and started a quick, sharp dive toward the tentacle thing. She had just enough had time to wonder if was doing this to spite Aleks or impress him, before she struck the horrific creature with her telekinetically shielded body and tried to push it toward the edge.

Spoiler
    Show
    Directly Engaging a Threat!
    (2d6-1)[3]

Edit: Oh Avi, you dope, never superhero angry.
    Last edited by truemane; 2022-03-23 at 08:16 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97

The tentacled mass is hurled back by Avi's speedy body... But the tentacles are long, sinuous, and have no trouble wrapping around her, stopping her from escaping the slimy, faintly acidic tendrils. The creature is teetering on the edge of the pit, but quickly regaining ground, and Avi is stuck, plain and simple.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Did you account for your +1 for acting on your Assessment? It wouldn't matter, but might for future rolls.

Also, lemme know if you want to actually TRY telepathy, or just gonna stick to telekinesis.

Show
    Show

Show

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Nate got up immediatelly, hearing screaming.

- Please, stay here! - he ordered the Lovelace family, and then went out immediatelly. Whatever it was, he needed to take care of that - process more complicated, because his disquise could get blown up in from of his boyfriend. Dang it!
    Last edited by Kaworu; 2022-03-24 at 12:36 PM.

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

9. - Top - End - #99

Mr. Lovelace stands up, moving protectively over his wife. Stephen stands too, and seems ready to follow you. "Nate, what are you doing?" he asks.

Outside, you can hear nurses and doctors talking to patients, telling them all to stay in their rooms, and that nothing is the matter, everything is fine. They're lying, but they're at least trying to stop a panic that could get more people hurt.

Show
    Show

Show

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

- I-I-I... - begun Nathaniel. Quick, he needed a lie! - I am gonna check the security office! And maybe press the fire alarm! I do not know, it's all happening too quickly. You stay here, you will be safe! - he shouted before running forth.

His first stop was the men's toilets. Here, he went to a cabin and quickly changed into his black bodysuit and rat mask. Then, stuffing his civilian clothes in his backpack, he went out, trying to understand what was happening there, exactly.

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

11. - Top - End - #101

Stephen tries to keep pace, but you outrun him, getting down a flight of stairs in record time and changing just as fast. The screams continue, getting a bit quieter-more distant?

Show
    Show

Show

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Sewer Rat went to the first person that seemed to know what was happening - Please, tell me what had happened? Some villain? Are there injured? - he asked them.

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

13. - Top - End - #103

You make your way further down, and see an injured attendant, a young man, outside a room labeled "Morgue". Given how dangerous the city can be, most hospitals have at least a small space for the dead.

"It... It started moving," he says. "And then... Then... Oh god, it just exploded into these black tentacles..." He takes a deep breath, trying to settle himself, but bursts into tears. "It went into the vent! I don't know where it's gone..."

Show
    Show

Show

14. - Top - End - #104

The tentacled mass is hurled back by Avi's speedy body... But the tentacles are long, sinuous, and have no trouble wrapping around her, stopping her from escaping the slimy, faintly acidic tendrils. The creature is teetering on the edge of the pit, but quickly regaining ground, and Avi is stuck, plain and simple.
    One of the differences between Avi and Aleks was that Aleks saw his TK as a sort of invisible hand and arm he could reach out with and manipulate things. Whereas Avi saw hers more like a disembodied push or pull along a given vector. This difference was not academic. For example, because he saw himself as the source of his own TK, Aleks couldn't fly. Whereas Avi had trouble with fine manipulations because there was no 'hand' involved, only lines of force. Neither of them really knew if this was a genuine difference in the way their powers worked, or just a kind of mental block.

So Avi took some comfort from the fact that, while Goliath could have just bounded down here and TK-super-punched this thing into smithereens, had he tried to 'push' it into the hole, he would have been dragged along with it by his mental tether.

Whereas Whisper, wrapped in slimy tentacles (acidic tentacles! she could already smell the burning fabric), and stuck pretty good, had other options. She'd thought about this before, but had never gotten the chance to try it. If her TK was a 'line of force' - then could she control its width as well as its direction? Could she focus it to the size, say, of a needle, and use it to pierce something rather than push it? Or could she draw a narrow line across something and cut it instead of pushing it, like a razor?

Still resisting its pull, she tried to use her TK to 'push' the tentacles. But to 'push' the smallest possible amount. A monofilament of force, in a line, across them all.

Show
    Did you account for your +1 for acting on your Assessment? It wouldn't matter, but might for future rolls.

Also, lemme know if you want to actually TRY telepathy, or just gonna stick to telekinesis.
    I did not! Thank you. And I will absolutely let you know if Whisper tries Telepathy.

I'm going to Unleash my Powers to 'Remove an Obstacle.' Please let me know if I'm making too many Moves. Also, I'm adding the +1, as above. Let me know if you feel that's appropriate.

(2d6+1)[7]

EDIT: I'll mark Angry, unless you wish to mark a different one and/or do something else :)
    Last edited by truemane; 2022-03-25 at 12:01 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105

There's a slight noise, barely a whisper of force. And the tentacles fall cleanly from the horror's body. They still wriggle and writhe and grab, but without the anchoring mass of the main body, Avi can fly back up-and beyond that, with the snipped leverage, the monster falls into the pit, bleeding some foul-smelling liquid.

There's one left attacking Steelheart, so halfway done.

Show
    Show

Show

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Sewer Rat thanked the man with a little nod. He had no time to cater to his wounds, and besides, the monster was on the loose. He closed his eyes and tried to focus his super-senses of hearing to get some idea where the monster was and where the shouting was the loudest. The hospital was a big building and trying to find the zombie otherwise would be counterproductive.

Spoiler
    Show

ROLL for UNLEASH YOUR POWERS (extending senses)

(2d6-1)[10]

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

17. - Top - End - #107

You seem to be in luck-the creature has vanished into the air vent, and is going down, going away from the hospital. You almost sigh in relief... Until you realize that there are screams right along with it. It grabbed someone, and is dragging them with.

Show
    Show

Show

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Sewer Rat was thinking for a few seconds. Should he jump into the air vent? Probably not a good idea, too little space to move freely. Instead, he followed the screams, using the rooms, corridors and halls. The monster will probably need to leave somewhere, and then he will be ready to strike.
    Last edited by Kaworu; 2022-03-26 at 12:37 PM.

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

19. - Top - End - #109

He keeps pace, drawing no small amount of looks from the people still in the halls. But the monster isn't going out-it's going DOWN.

Show
    Show

Show

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

- Damn - muttered Sewer Rat to himself. No chance of fighting in the open with the monster. He went to the closest air vent and moved inside, hoping to find the zombie and their victim in there.
    Last edited by Kaworu; 2022-03-27 at 05:47 AM.

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

21. - Top - End - #111

You wriggle your way into the air vent-it's cramped and uncomfortable. But, you're young and limber. If you were much bigger, you'd probably not fit-which does mean that actually FIGHTING the thing in here is a terrible, terrible idea.

As you pursue, you're able to focus on the screams-they sound young. If you had to guess, a little kid was snatched. This only makes you further determined to do your hero work, and you plunge heedlessly towards the screams.

A few tense minutes go by. There's a wet plap sound, like something squishy falling a bit. Not long after, you drop from the vent, just ten feet or so, onto an old stone walkway. The tentacles are retreating down it, towards some kind of high-tech door. And in their grasp, a young girl, not more than six years old.

Show
    Show

Show

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Sewer Rat swore under his breath. At least he was out of the air vent and had a change of fighting. He rushed as fast as he could after the monster, praying to help the little girl before something will happen to her.

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

23. - Top - End - #113

There's a slight noise, barely a whisper of force. And the tentacles fall cleanly from the horror's body. They still wriggle and writhe and grab, but without the anchoring mass of the main body, Avi can fly back up-and beyond that, with the snipped leverage, the monster falls into the pit, bleeding some foul-smelling liquid.

There's one left attacking Steelheart, so halfway done.
    It worked! She cut the damn thing with the razor blade of her mind! She felt exultant and powerful. And her first thought was I can't wait to tell Aleks and then the whole reason she was out here in the first place crashed down on her and suddenly She. Was. Ticked.

Stupid Aleks and his humblebragging, and his slumped shoulders and sad voice and Everyone is Equal virtue-signaling. No one is ever better than anyone else, Avi. Everyone has their story, Avi. Perspectives are infinite, Avi. You have no right to judge, Avi.

Except him of course. No one gets to judge anyone except him. Aleks can judge all he wants. He can call her up and tell her what to do and then give her the silent treatment when she has the temerity not to bow to his wishes like.... like.... like a dutiful daughter. Like a good little girl.

Her eyes blazed. A whirlwind of grit and dirt rose around her. The air filled with a low, insistent hum.

She'd show him.

She'd show him.

The intensified, and Whisper launched herself at the remaining tentacle thing, TK-blades shimmering in the air around her.

Spoiler
    Show

Does the creature count as a threat? If so, then I'll use my Venting Frustration Move to roll with Superior instead of Danger.

If not, then I'll just slice it into ribbons with my TK razor-blades.

(2d6+3)[6]

24. - Top - End - #114

Show
    I'll say that with the two of you working in tandem, it's not a threat.

I'll also say this-scary! You just learned how to use telekinetic razors and you're already starring in a slasher film. :P

Avi rushes towards Steelheart and his enemy. Steelheart shoves it off, and watches as Avi's psychic blades rip it to shreds. It's gruesome, leaving behind piles of wriggling little tubes of black and brown meat. The ground is stained, dark with the ichor from the creature.

Show
    Show

Show

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Sewer Rat ran, his powerful body carrying him forward. When he went to the monster (which was, apparently, not so fast?) with a few well-aimed punches ha was able to libarate the kid from his grab. With one hand still striking at the zombie, and the second grabbing the kid, he was able to carry her a little distance away, using his own body as a shield.

- Can you move? - he asked, not looking at the girl - the danger was to big to let the monster go unsupervised - Stay behind me, I will protect you.
    Last edited by Kaworu; 2022-03-29 at 02:30 PM.

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

26. - Top - End - #116

The monster is fast-but the door takes a while to open. A few tentacles are crushed beneath your fists, letting you snag the girl. She mutters a "Yeah..." when asked if she can move.

You start a fighting retreat, fending off the strikes and flurries from the monster. You make it some 20' back, when the door finally begins to open. As soon as it does, the monster darts towards it, slipping in. The door doesn't close-but you've a moments reprieve. It'd be a good idea to take advantage of it.

Show
    Show

Show

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Sewer Rat got kind of lost. What should he do? Try to close the doors, so the monster (and a few more?) will not attack? Run with the girl? Maybe take a little peek into the doors? But wouldn't that get the little girl in a dangerous situation?

For now, he was standing between the doors and the girl, pushing her a little bit away, but the most of his attention was focused at trying to decide what he should do next. It was important, he felt. No false steeps. It's crucial now.

Spoiler
    Show

ASSESS THE SITUATION

(2d6)[7]

EDIT:

Okay, I am asking this: how could we best end this quickly?

Last edited by Kaworu; 2022-03-30 at 07:34 AM.

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

28. - Top - End - #118

Spoiler: Assess
    Show
    Run. Run fast. Get out before whatever the tentacles went to shows its face.

Show
    Show

Show

29. - Top - End - #119

Avi rushes towards Steelheart and his enemy. Steelheart shoves it off, and watches as Avi's psychic blades rip it to shreds. It's gruesome, leaving behind piles of wriggling little tubes of black and brown meat. The ground is stained, dark with the ichor from the creature.
    Spent now, Whisper pauses to catch her breath. Her chest heaves and her throat is dry. She is simultaneously so wired she could barely stand still, and so dyed-in-the-wool exhausted she could sleep for days.

All the same, that thing was gross. She toes its corpse idly.

"What do you think that even was?" She asked Steelheart. "That's weird, even for Raccoon City, no?"

She then looked around to see where the woman was who was being chased. Was she okay? Was she still around?

Show
    I'll also say this-scary! You just learned how to use telekinetic razors and you're already starring in a slasher film. :P
    It is a dark turn, for sure! A few more of those and she'll be a fully-functioning anit-hero!
    Last edited by truemane; 2022-03-31 at 09:51 AM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Sewer Rat lifted the little girl, carried her in his arms, and started running as fast as he could. No doubt that would not be the end of this, but he wanted to gain distance... and time. It was possible that the monster would come back, but he wanted to give the little kid as much chance as he could.

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature