1. - Top - End - #361
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: The Cold World

Day 11, Alkukevaasta (Early Spring)
    Luhanja, south of Hardwalker Hall
    Midafternoon, 1537

Complication Pool: 5 of 6

"Hardwalker Hall?" echoed the huntsman, blinking, his hairy eyebrows furrowing. "You're saying they've been in Hardwalker--" And the man got a look at the small, bisected circle symbol hanging from Njal's beard, which was the Hardwalker sigil. And his look was somewhere between confusion and wariness.

He looked back at them again. His hand had slipped to a long blade at his belt. "Yes, I do know their father. His name's Antero Luhanjalainen, steward to the Lady Wolfstone. And I'd suggest you get those children off your horse, now, and turn them over to us. And that we all go, very nicely, up to the Lady's keep, where we'll sort all of this out. Because Antero's not been saying anything about his children missing for the past few days. And certainly not them being at Hardwalker Hall. Forget the temple. You're coming up to the Keep. Now."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    What do you do?

2. - Top - End - #362
    Firbolg in the Playground

Gerlin's mind had been a curious place for years at that point; but if there was one thing her time up in Horizon made it good at, that was handily filtering out whatever she'd rather not perceived or realized. To their father? Oh. That's wonderful thinking! if possible, her smile even grow brighter somewhat, despite what any sane person would have recognized as an implicit threat. If he's all well and ready to have us, that really is the best place we could head. Um, if you would lead on?

Show

Diplomacy, I guess: (1d20+1)[6]

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

Njal "Stormcaller"

Njal eyes the guard's hand moving to his weapons and scowls. He glances at the children. "He be right I ask you?" he'll ask the children. "Do ye be fare here and our father be Master Luhanjalainen?" He'll wait for the kids to respond before he says anything to the guard but he does make sure to place himself between the guard and the children.

Show

Njal "Stormcaller"
    M NG Dwarf (Glacier Dwarf) Druid, Level 5, Init -5, HP 20 / 41, Speed
    AC 18, Touch 11, Flat-footed 17, Fort 7, Ref 2, Will 7, Base Attack Bonus 3
    +2 trip MW Tigerskull Club (Lesser Crystal of Fiery Assault) +7 (1d8+3 [+1d6 FIRE], x4)
    Quaterstaff +6 (1d6+3, x2)
    Darts / Sling (10 / 20 ) +4 (1d4+3 / 1d4+3 , x2)
    Dragonhide (White) Breastplate, Heavy Wooden Shield (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 16, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 6
    Condition +1 hit Greenskins, +4 Dodge vs Giants, +2 vs Spells/Poison, +2 vs Cold, +4 vs Fey

Stormrir
    30 / 30 hp (4HD) Init +1 Speed 50 ft Fort +7, Ref +5, Will +2
    AC 17 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +4 natural +3 AC), touch 10, flat-footed 16
    BAB/Grapple +3/+11
    Attack: 2 hooves +6 melee (1d6+4) and bite +1 melee (1d4+2)
    Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
    Abilities: Str 18, Dex 13, Con 17, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 6
    Skills/feats: Listen +5, Spot +4 / Endurance, Run
    Equipment: Military saddle, Saddle bags, Std'Leather Barding

Gromnir (Wintery Huskie) - Level 5 companion
    29 hp (4HD) Init +3 Speed 40 ft Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +2
    AC 22 (+3 Dex, +6 natural +3 armour), touch 12, flat-footed 19
    BAB/Grapple +3/+6
    Full Attack: Bite +6 melee (1d8+4 + Trip (+3))
    Abilities: Str 16, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
    Skills: Jump +9, Listen +6, Spot +6, Swim +4, Survival +2/6*
    Feats: Alertness, Track, Improved Natural attack (bite) / Link, Share spells, Evasion
    Equipment: MW Std Leather barding
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

4. - Top - End - #364

Gerlin gave a patient smile, all of his own now, to Njal. We've figured that out back at the Hall. she told him. Well, Master Talvo did the figuring out, she tilted her head somewhat to the side but still. The night before you stumbled across us. Name's the same, as is the position, at least. And I'm going to kind of doubt these two she circled a friendly finger towards the children would just go on to deceive him, of all people, because… Why would they even do that?

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Midafternoon, 1537

"I know him," said Jakki, finally, after a long moment. She nodded at the huntsman. "That's Beartrapper. Matias Beartrapper, he's one of father's friends."
    "Good enough?" asked Matias, hand still on the hilt of his knife.
    "I'd say so on the part of these four people," came a familiar voice: Makhrond, the big, red-bearded warrior, had come across from where Alyona's wagon had stopped for a second. He turned to Gerlin. "You know Talvo, do you?" And with an efficient movement he drew out the bronze ring hanging at his neck. "Matias, we just rode with these people back here. Even if they're domobezh, I didn't see anything odd about them with the children."
    "You going to vouch for them, Makhrond?" asked Matias.
    "No. Only point out that their approach on Luhanja seems a bit out of keeping with a pack of bandits determined to quietly bring two children back into this village. Especially one of them wearing the Hardwalker sigil openly," he added, nodding at the bisected circle visible on Njal's gear.
    Matias looked from the warrior to the group, and slowly took his hand from the hilt of the knife. "Fine, but the children need to come down off the horse and come with me."
    "Hey!" Alyona came stomping across from the wagon, small hands forming fists and planted firmly on her belt. She was peering up at Makhrond. "You membeer you commink beck to Hardvokker Holl vith uz?"
    Makhrond looked at Alyona, then back at the party. "I admit I am curious about this development, trademaster. I didn't realise Master Talvo had some involvement in all this..."

Show
    What do you do?

6. - Top - End - #366

Gerlin clapped her hands together in evidently proud delight. I trained under his brother back in Chalice. she pointed both her index fingers in the direction she estimated Chalice should lie. He was my first stop once I reached the Hall. she went on, shifting back towards the horse to help the children get off. Master Talvo kindly… For lack of a better word, hired me to help Sister Kaelan get the children back here in one piece. Erm… One piece each.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

The breath Kaelan didn't know she had been holding finally was released. A break in the tension, at least for now. She bowed her head slightly, giving each child a soft smile. "Indeed, there is much about this situation that is troubling and I am willing to tell what little I know. But Jakki and Kal have missed their father for too long and I would be remiss into not seeing them safely home myself. I gave them my word. Please...may I at least finish that and come with you before attending to Lady Wolfstone?"

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Taking 10 on Diplomacy for a 17 (if needed)

8. - Top - End - #368
    Titan in the Playground

Njal "Stormcaller"

Seeing the children happy and his colleagues relaxing the dwarf nods. "Aye, well then, git yourselves down and sorted ye be"

Show

Njal "Stormcaller"
    +2 trip MW Tigerskull Club (Lesser Crystal of Fiery Assault) +7 (1d8+3 [+1d6 FIRE], x4)
    Dragonhide (White) Breastplate, Heavy Wooden Shield (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 Dex)
    Condition +1 hit Greenskins, +4 Dodge vs Giants, +2 vs Spells/Poison, +2 vs Cold, +4 vs Fey

Stormrir
    BAB/Grapple +3/+11

BAB/Grapple +3/+6
    Feats: Alertness, Track, Improved Natural attack (bite) / Link, Share spells, Evasion

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Midafternoon, 1537

Matias's eyes shifted from the priestess to the children, and then back to Gerlin. He took his hand from his knife.
    "All right. Fine. Let's all get up to Luhanja Keep, now."
    They all set off, a curious grouping of beings and animals, with Makhrond (and Alyosha) following on their own hastily-unhitched mounts. ("Alvays zumzing zhitting up ze day," the halfling could be heard grumbling at one point.)

The journey up from the village to the keep wasn't particularly arduous - the road had long been trod and cut into the mountainside to make a reasonable set of switchbacks which could be climbed by wagon or walking - but by the same token, it would've been a much harder task to actually ascend the road uncontested, with little outcrops of rock and stone guaranteeing that each switchback could be bombarded with rocks or peppered with arrows from above. There was some traffic up and down, albeit not much, and most of the outcrops were not manned. However, a great ram's horn wailed as they passed the halfway point, and their remaining passage up was watched by a small coterie of armed men in heavy furs with spears and long shields from each shift in direction.

They finally reached the keep itself, which was even more ancient and weathered than how it had looked from the village. With commanding views of the heights and hills around it, Luhanja Keep was a small fortress set into the hillside, all grey stone walls and blueclayed towers. The Wolfstone sigil hung from gonfalons at either side of the heavy, reinforced wooden doors: an equilateral triangle inside which another equilateral triangle was set.

(This, Gerlin and Kaelen remembered, seemed to be a feature of some of the heraldry of some of the oldest Horizon houses: more elaborate heraldry was the development of fifteen hundred years on the Archipelago, while most of the sigils of the mainland remained untouched, distinguishing the house's age. In that way, the symbol was similar to the Hardwalker one: a simple circle bisected by a straight line. Some speculation had been made that simple patterns or symbols of this kind had much in common with some of the old elven symbols and artisanship, but it was not a view one typically espoused in company of a noble from Horizon.)

Their errand was explained by Matias to the heavily armed guardsmen on the door, and - with some reluctance - they were admitted in. The interior of Luhanja Keep was spartan in a way similar to Hardwalker Hall -- all simple stonework devoted to clutching and retaining warmth -- and the aromas were of woodsmoke, meat, and the unique smell of iced-over sweat. They were brought through the few small rooms to the main chamber. It wasn't the scale of anything in Hardwalker Hall, but it still had the odd feel of a place that might not have been constructed by men, originally: the windows were a little too high, and the stonework didn't quite seem to come together at right angles. It was, however, appointed a little differently to the Hall's black stone walls: there were heavy, thick curtains obscuring the windows, and white candles gleamed everywhere, picking out rings in the chainmail of the guards and the silver in the earrings, headbands, and rings of the traders and minor nobility who were all standing in the hall.

As was expected, the hall's occupants were a scattering of moons and worlds that orbited the pale sun at its centre: Lady Katja Wolfstone.

Spoiler: A Portrait
    Show

The room quieted as she looked at them, and her pale eyes locked on the bisected circle at Njal's beard before flicking up to their faces. There wasn't a particularly warm welcome in her expression. "A priestess of the Mother, and an ... Islander," she began, looking at Kaelen and Gerlin for a second before returning her gave to Njal. "You bear Hardwalker sigils. And I've heard of the rescue of Lord Rowan Hardwalker's daughter, so I imagine you must be the dwarf who's been adopted into the house. And you," she said, glancing over at Ramiro, "must be the wandering sage whose family name is being scribed over the gates of the Hall. How long did it take you to become Lord Hardwalker's messengers, then, and what are you doing here on my lands without my leave?"

Show
    What do you do?

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

Ramiro Sanda
    We are freshly arrived and come straight from the gate. We could not have presented ourselves any swifter. (His tone is not apologetic, there is a note of complaint, but not mockery)

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Kaelan shot a quick look towards Ramiro before clearing her throat softly, hoping to draw the Lady's attention away from the swordsman's rashness.

"My Lady, I am Kaelan Frost-Eater, of Majakka. I had newly arrived to Hardwalker Hall, looking for a place to stay for the night when I came across Jakki and Kal. They told me they had escaped from 'bad men' -- and three such 'bad men' (led by a brute named Toggs) who stole them in the first place tried to accost me in the Inn to take them back. Thankfully, Mistress Gerlin--" At the mention of her name, Kaelan nodded gratefully to Gerlin. "--and Master Talvo Shoreborn of the Blades stepped in to chase the brutes off. Master Talvo recognized the children and knew their father's name. He then asked myself and Gerlin to return Jakki and Kal safely back to Luhanja. Njal and Ramiro arrived the next day after, asking for my aid to remove a malady from them. Which I did so in exchange for their help in getting us safely to Luhanja."

Kaelan bowed her head slightly, hoping and waiting.

(1d20+7)[17] Diplomacy
    (1d20+4)[13] Sense Motive

12. - Top - End - #372

Way too pleased with someone finally pinpointing her exact origin without much aid from herself, Gerlin was not quick enough to either stop Ramiro from snapping back or trying to smooth things over afterwards. Instead, she clasped her hands behind her back and did her best to back Kaelan up with eager nods and her best smile, internally going over her knowledge of the general area to try and figure out what my bother Lady Wolfstone about their manners.

Show

Aid Another on Kaelan's Diplomacy: (1d20+1)[18]

Knowledge (local): (1d20+6)[23]
    Knowledge (nobility&royalty): (1d20+8)[27]
    Bardic Knowledge: (1d20+10)[17]
    and Clerical Lore: (1d20+8)[17] on breaches of etiquette that might have contributed to the current climate of hostility.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

Njal "Stormcaller"

The dwarf had eyed the men with ill disguised suspicion, a hand resting on the wolf's neck as he sought calm from the closeness of the beast. Entering the hall he straightened his beard before looking at the Lady Katja. "Aye lass. I be that dwarf. Honoured by Hardwalker fae' the acts we did fer' them. but I be o' the mountains nae of a human hold. " He gestures at the children, "We be helping return children. More children aye." he offers as a weak joke having just done the same in the Hardwalker Halls as he picks up on the others' attempts to be dipomatic

Show

Diplomacy attempt (1d20-2)[18]!

Njal "Stormcaller"

Stormrir
    BAB/Grapple +3/+11

BAB/Grapple +3/+6

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Midafternoon, 1537

Spoiler: Gerlin
    Show
    Sometimes it took a moment of observation for Gerlin's memory to kick in, but kick in it did: the combination of the Wolfstone sigil and the pale look of the woman on the lord's seat set it off.

There had been a couple of months of gossip, back just before she took her vows to the Wild Man, when she was still in her parents' house. Lord Rowan Hardwalker was only a relatively recent holder of the title and lands to Hardwalker Hall. He'd been installed after something of a succession dispute, or a scandal. If Gerlin remembered it right, that local Hardwalker had been a fairly impetuous but supposedly handsome-looking man named Thulin, who had declined appearing at a Kindling for a scandalous five years after his age of majority. And - yes, the time period likely matched up on her rough memories - it had been a (then) young, pale, blue-eyed woman of the Wolfstone clan who had come out before this very keep's gates, three times in three years, on the expectation (if not promise) that Thulin Hardwalker would be standing there with other candidates to be chosen at the Kindling. Eventually, she chose another ... who died in an avalanche two years later having given her no children.

Either way, Rowan Hardwalker's family line had been that branch of the Hardwalker clan that had fled south during the Retreat. Thulin Hardwalker had been in some sort of ... uprising? rebellion? that wasn't as clear ... involving the Coracle Throne, or perhaps some ally to the Throne. But the ultimate result was that the local Hardwalker branch was displaced by the word of the king on the Coracle Throne, the ruler of the Highmark, of which Hylkeiden was one long expanse of territory. And again by the same Coracle Throne's decree, Rowan Hardwalker had been named heir to Hardwalker Hall - and then his daughter after him.

Gerlin knew well enough that the Wolfstones historically had been traditionalists and hadn't really taken to the idea of a near-Islander succeeding to one of the oldest clanholds in Hylkeiden, but the woman's chilly reception for a Hardwalker sigil seemed to have a reasonable basis beyond a dislike of outsiders. Leaving aside that not only had Katja Wolfstone, it seemed, lost a good deal of potential advancement, but she was still sworn by oath to the Hardwalkers as their bondsmen.

Still, the combination of Kaelen's simple declaration, Gerlin's decorum, and then Njal's straightforwardness seemed to take a little of the edge out of Katja's frown (and displace any concern Ramiro had caused). That, and her look switching to the two children who had finally gotten down off Mule and now came slowly forward, going closer to Kaelen. Her look rippled between confusion and glad recognition. "Jakki? Kal? You've been in the city?"
    She got up from the lord's seat and came forward, opening her arms, and the children's reticence melted away, both of them bolting forward to run over and grab the Lady in a massive hug. She gave a surprised cry and then a chuckle as they grabbed her. "Oh, Hearthkeeper's Fire, don't strangle me, both of you!" She held them close for a moment, then looked up, smiling, beckoning one of the ladies-in-waiting over, a young, red-cheeked woman. "Here's Rozhina. You remember Rozhina? Yes, of course you do. I think Rozhina might have some food for you, and some water, in the kitchens. Would you like that? Yes. You go with her now - you are safe."
    The children almost seemed to have forgotten the party, and were nodding enthusiastically as Rozhina gave a short bow to Katja Wolfstone and ushered the children away.

Katja's smile lasted until they were out of the room, and she resumed her seat. She looked over the group once more, and seemed to notice Makhrond, the big, red-bearded warrior, and Alyosha, the halfling trader, towards the back of the room.
    "Makhrond, your guildmaster was mentioned. Did you have anything to do with this? I know your charge would not," she added, nodding at Alyosha.
    "Ant goot zhitting mornik too yew az vell, Lady Voolfstonn," said Alyosha, but surprisingly the remark didn't draw any sudden violence from the Lady, whose grin had taken on a certain vulpine look.
    "No, Lady," said Makhrond, as though Alyosha hadn't spoken. "We happened on the children's group on our way through the hills. The Guild of Blades has no business here that I'm aware of, but I've not seen anything here to doubt what you're told."
    "I'm very glad to hear so," said Katja. "Because that tells me what I have to do now. Sergeant," she said, nodding to one of her chainmailed guardsmen, "Find Antero Luhanjalainen. Now. And have him brought here. Now. Take weapons."
    "Zis goink too bee anudder fine feckink day for shore," muttered Alyosha.
    "Forgive me, Lady, but it does strike me as an odd course to go and arrest the children's father," said Makhrond as four or five guardsmen strode out of the hall along with the sergeant.
    "I'll decide what is odd or not in my own hall, journeyman," said Katja, and there was ice under the words. "Because you see, the oddest part I find about this is that when I spoke with Antero yesterday and asked about his children, he assured me quite plainly that they were well and had been busy playing with a newborn kitten at his own home. That same day."

Show
    What do you do?

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

Njal "Stormcaller"

Njal patted the children on the head happily as they headed off Rozhina. "Ware the snows children, stay safe and stay yer keep" he advises them as they hussle off. Then he watches with the organisation of the arrest squad with some suprise then nods to himself as the Lady explains the father's lies. Clearing his throat he looks about his companions and Ramiro, "My thank Lady. Now we be off now if please ye? Though can a tired old dwarf rest legs, bathe weary feet and fill a hungry belly in the inns before we away?" he'll ask.

He glances around the others to see if they have any further business here, but with the children home safe he is happy to held up his end of the bargain for being healed from the unquiet spirit's disease.

Show

Diplomacy attempt [roll0]!

Njal "Stormcaller"

Stormrir
    BAB/Grapple +3/+11

BAB/Grapple +3/+6
    [/QUOTE]

16. - Top - End - #376

Just a moment more, Master Njal! Gerlin then spoke up, making a curious face as she watched the guards pour out. Let's talk. After this, I mean. she half-whispered, half-mouthed at the dwarf and Ramiro, taking advantage of the heartbeat her face was turned away from the lady. My lady, if I may? she snapped her head back to politely have her gaze settle on the area around Lady Katja's nose, raising a hand awkwardly. I think this is a bit odd. Master Talvo named their father, back in the Hall and this Matias Beartrapper again, at the gate here, and the children were… Not alarmed, or anything. Quite the opposite, even. Whatever happened here, I'm not sure Master Antero was… she drew a few quick circles in the air with a finger. Party to it.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

"Jakki told me that they were with a guard and a housekeeper out in the hills when they were kidnapped. Eldac and Shianna were their names, I believe. Perhaps they have something to say about the crime. That is, if they are willing to give any testimony." An uneasy feeling took hold in Kaelan's thoughts -- the feeling that the children were indeed stolen to provide leverage over their father in some way. And maybe in doing so to drive a further wedge between the cold war of the Wolfstones and Hardwalkers...

...oh Mother, would a father willingly use his own children as pawns if he wasn't threatened?

She paused, remembering the note Master Talvo gave her. "Master Shoreborn gave me this note to give to you, Lady."
    Last edited by Cygnia; 2023-07-20 at 07:09 PM.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

Ramiro Sanda
    Ooo a secret, I wonder who is leveraging the father and for what.
    I will catch up soon (He turns to address Katja)
    If the lady would permit me to hear end of this tale. (He is suitably deferential this time)
    Last edited by Novabomb; 2023-07-20 at 10:46 PM.