New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Cosmic Hunters (OOC)

Quote Originally Posted by Geeksthenewsexy View Post
    Yeah, daily abilities are only useful if we eventually call it a day at some point. lol

Also, I heard from Biscuit, who has been laid up with pneumonia the last several days. Not dying, apparently, but feeling like it.
    Ouch. If you're reading this, Biscuit, I bid thee a quick recovery!

The words 'literal buckets of phlem' were used, so...yuck.
    I mean, phloem is a very useful thing to have, but I also prefer to have it inside my body. (I'm a FLOWER!)

2. - Top - End - #632
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, man. Take care Biscuit.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

3. - Top - End - #633
    Ogre in the Playground

What kind of AC do these guys even have ? I'm fairly certain Ux' best bet to get through is to let himself be hit and his amulet do the work.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

4. - Top - End - #634

I kind of hoped it's DR, but seems unlikely, yeah. (Also, I'd bet good money Ooze Plane stuff is at least resistant to acid.)

5. - Top - End - #635
    Orc in the Playground

I'm sorry that my health has gotten the better of my posting rate recently. To say that the last couple weeks has been brutal would be an understatement. I'm thankful that it happened while my character was still split from the party, at least so as not to slow down the game for anyone else.

Also, happy belated birthday, Geeks! I finally got your card to the post office, so it should be a month late, as per usual for me.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Orc in the Playground

No worries biscuit, I slowed the game down plenty myself without any help from you.

Contingent of course on Azlin making a fairly simple save or otherwise avoiding a daze effect, she completely owns a level 9 factotum and 5 stone golems in one round. Love high-level caster play so much, and done in a way that isn't just pure mailmannery too!

Anyways, so I've been thinking a bit more about higher than 100% reality and it doesn't make sense to me that someone should make a save to get affected worse even though that's exactly stipulated by RAW. This shouldn't work because one should generally be allowed to willingly fail saves. I think I'm going to have to do a DM adjudication (affecting posts going forward) and say that due to common sense, we flip the script when shadow magic is greater than 100%. They get the worse (120% or whatever) effect no matter what if they don't save, and the "lesser" (full 100%) effect if they do. Unless you think this is a nerf and you really don't want it (doesn't seem like a nerf to me but I'm open to arguments) I think this is the best way to make the mechanic make physical sense. Think of it like shadow weave stuff supercharging a spell unless it's disbelieved, in which case it's just the spell itself.
    Last edited by chaincomplex; 2023-08-15 at 04:41 AM.

7. - Top - End - #637

Well, damn. Casters are a big deal! (Nice slaughter there, Biscuit, Genocider of NPCs!)

In unrelated news:
    1. was Delja's AoO DM-rolled and failed or should I roll it now? (If the issue's NA rather than DR, it doesn't matter much, but hey, 20s happen!)
    2. D. can't quite see O3 from where she stands. If Ux Utanar would be so kind to mention acid hurts them this round, she has a few flasks in her haversack for ranged touch attacking.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Ogre in the Playground

Glad to hear you're back on tracks, Biscuit :)

Will do, Meta!

9. - Top - End - #639
    Orc in the Playground

1. summons a CR 13 monster completely immune to almost all magic that will rampage for a half an hour with a 9th level spell slot to use as a glorified distraction for what amounts to a B&E
    2. uses another 9th level spell slot just to be invisible

This sneaking around to steal stuff stuff is easy. Why do rogues make it looks soooo difficult? I think they're just lazy.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Bugbear in the Playground

Har har har. *jealous thief noises* Appreciate the birthday wishes. Next year I'll hit the big 4-0 and officially be able to yell at children walking on my lawn.

I'll be out of touch from Tuesday until about Friday(ish).
    "He who makes a beast of himself, loses the pain of being a man." - Dr. Johnson

11. - Top - End - #641

Quote Originally Posted by Geeksthenewsexy View Post
    Har har har. *jealous thief noises* Appreciate the birthday wishes. Next year I'll hit the big 4-0 and officially be able to yell at children walking on my lawn.

I'll be out of touch from Tuesday until about Friday(ish).
    Gah! Taking four days off just to yell at children before you'd be legally allowed to do so? Yes, that does sound a lot like you!

12. - Top - End - #642
    Ogre in the Playground

Next year is the big 3-0 for me! What do I get to yell at?

Also, Geeks, in case Ux has successfully tripped O4, you'll get a +4 on your attack roll for attacking a prone target in melee.

13. - Top - End - #643

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    Next year is the big 3-0 for me! What do I get to yell at?

Also, Geeks, in case Ux has successfully tripped O4, you'll get a +4 on your attack roll for attacking a prone target in melee.
    You'll get to yell when you wake up that you slept wrong, get to yell about 'where the time went', and most importantly, you then get to yell in joy at the supermarket because they're playing your childhood jams instead of 'those oldies' they used to.

You'll also get to complain that you must be under the weather because you're tired all the time, sleep will never feel good enough for some reason, and that ankle and/or knee you twisted like one time a few years ago will still act up like you twinged it even though you didn't, and you'll start wondering if it will ever not feel weird (it won't).

You'll also be required to make a tisking noise with your mouth and pull a face showing discomfort at the sight of what looks like pre-teens (they're not - they are just normal teens) indulging in the latest fashion and/or lingo that is complete and utter cringe.

Enjoy!

Also, Myriad didn't make an attack to beenfit from a trip. Just an AoO from the previous round. This round, she just made a feint to try to help Delja's next attack and shove a healing potion in the elf's face.

I should be back by next weekend. Don't summon Cthulu without me!

14. - Top - End - #644
    Orc in the Playground

That is as good an excuse as any to binge-play BG3 (as if I needed an excuse).

As for the getting old thing, yes. At some point, I just kept thinking, 'I just need to catch up on sleep and then I'll feel better,' but after a few years, I realized that was wishful thinking. That always-tired feeling was just my body's new default. Joy.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    1. was Delja's AoO DM-rolled and failed or should I roll it now? (If the issue's NA rather than DR, it doesn't matter much, but hey, 20s happen!)
    Go ahead and roll it. I try to avoid rolling things that players would over-the-table unless it causes PbP problems or it's supposed to be a secret.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, Geeks, I'm torn between Tasha's Hideous Laughter and Heartache now. Can I please get turned by a Polymorph any Object into my 20s self?
    Last edited by remetagross; 2023-08-22 at 06:18 AM.

17. - Top - End - #647

Quote Originally Posted by chaincomplex View Post
    Go ahead and roll it. I try to avoid rolling things that players would over-the-table unless it causes PbP problems or it's supposed to be a secret.
    Yay! Thanks! Here it cometh: [roll]1d20+26[roll] for (1d6+20)[22] adamantine and magic, (1d6)[4] precision, (1d4)[3] force and (1d6)[3] cold.

Wow, Geeks, I'm torn between Tasha's Hideous Laughter and Heartache now. Can I please get turned by a Polymorph any Object into my 20s self?
    Just make sure you steer clear of Dispels and dead magic stuff after!

18. - Top - End - #648

The attack(-of-opportunity) roll, once more (with feeling (and proper formatting)): (1d20+26)[41]

19. - Top - End - #649
    Ogre in the Playground

Did I just read...once more with feeling?

20. - Top - End - #650

That's goddamn right! (Oh wait, wrong series.) Anyhow, just bear in mind that Myriad will probably do most of the singing.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Ogre in the Playground

Ux doesn't have any ranks in Perform, but his Cha modifier is not too shabby. Dibs on Standing in the Way!

22. - Top - End - #652

Ux can provide backup base vocals! Myriad, not having anything else to contribute: Setting Appropriate Battle Music Perform (Singing): (1d20+30)[36] lol
    Last edited by Geeksthenewsexy; 2023-08-25 at 05:14 AM.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Orc in the Playground

Geez, apologies again for the delay, but now should be back to regular posting schedule. Also apologies for the ginormous post. It needs to be edited down but that takes time, and I wanted to get this out ASAP. Anyways a few comments:

1. Ux's challenge may make enemies focus him, but the class feature states that this doesn't make them fight stupidly or anything, so that if they get an attack of opportunity on someone who isn't Ux, they would probably be able to take it by my reading. Feel free to let me know if I'm wrong by some statement or implication somewhere.
    2. Well I had something else to say but I forgot what it is since I began writing the IC update. I'll get back to this later when no doubt I remember.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Ogre in the Playground

This is a very sensible interpretation. The text of the ability is fairly open-ended, actually, when it says "An opponent compelled to act in this manner is not thrown into a mindless rage and does not have to move to attack you in melee if doing so would provoke attacks of opportunity against him. In such a case, he can use ranged attacks against you or attack any opponents he threatens as normal."

A strict reading of that line indicates that if a foe would need to provoke an AoO by moving in melee range to attack me, he actually is freed to use any ranged weapons he has against me, or melee weapons he has against anyone he presently threatens. Which means if any one of my allies places themselves in such a position that they threated with an AoO any creature currently affected, this basically ends the effect for that creature as long as the threat of an AoO is present, since that ally is now a valid target.

What do you make of that reading, mates?

25. - Top - End - #655

Quote Originally Posted by chaincomplex View Post
    Geez, apologies again for the delay, but now should be back to regular posting schedule. Also apologies for the ginormous post. It needs to be edited down but that takes time, and I wanted to get this out ASAP.

No, no! You're awesome and your big posts are awesome! Thanks for the work you put into this!

This is a very sensible interpretation. The text of the ability is fairly open-ended, actually, when it says "An opponent compelled to act in this manner is not thrown into a mindless rage and does not have to move to attack you in melee if doing so would provoke attacks of opportunity against him. In such a case, he can use ranged attacks against you or attack any opponents he threatens as normal."

A strict reading of that line indicates that if a foe would need to provoke an AoO by moving in melee range to attack me, he actually is freed to use any ranged weapons he has against me, or melee weapons he has against anyone he presently threatens. Which means if any one of my allies places themselves in such a position that they threated with an AoO any creature currently affected, this basically ends the effect for that creature as long as the threat of an AoO is present, since that ally is now a valid target.

What do you make of that reading, mates?
    Sounds reasonable.

Anyhow, that's a critical threat against [sighs] O4; I'll roll it anyhow, because splattering it all over the pavement is a funny mental image:
    (1d20+33)[52] to confirm for (1d6+20)[25] magical admantine piercing, (1d6)[6] precision, (1d4)[4] force and (1d6)[6] cold.

26. - Top - End - #656

And that'd also be a critical threat, if criticals would chain. Alas. Edit: And one's for max damage, the other only one point short. Against a thing that was already mostly dead. I'm crying.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2023-08-28 at 12:44 PM.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait for the exquisitely detailed description of the gore that ensues. It will be worth the roll
    Last edited by remetagross; 2023-08-29 at 08:24 AM.

28. - Top - End - #658
    Ogre in the Playground

chaincomplex, Ereshki has DR 10/magic from Animal Growth. Are the attacks of the outsider magical? Also, here are the required grapple checks: (1d20+28)[39] to beat 28 and (1d20+28)[36] to beat 24.

29. - Top - End - #659

IC Post didn't roll the attack toll. Here it is: (1d20+22)[41]

30. - Top - End - #660

Seeing how it just ate an almost maximum damage critical while already unconscious, I don't think we should worry about O4 getting up anytime soon.