1. - Top - End - #151
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Cosmic Hunters (OOC)

INITIATIVE! (1d20+14)[30]

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Initiative! (1d20+8)[22]
    "He who makes a beast of himself, loses the pain of being a man." - Dr. Johnson

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

wow man I got off the hook a few days and now I can't understand a thing of what's going on :D

(1d20-6)[-3]
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

4. - Top - End - #154

Recap:
    1. The place we are in is some wierd dimensional plane ship.
    2. 'Pilot' is the holographic computer of said ship.
    3. Pilot put the ship in lockdown when some big bads escaped containment.
    4. There are three main big bads. One of which teleports, and one which is a spellcaster.
    5. Said big bads killed the whole crew and somehow soul-trapped one, who we agreed to try to help.
    6. Same said big bads are trying to circumvent the ship's security and take over, which is...probably bad.
    7. Myriad is totally stealing the ship when this is all over, if at all possible. She called dibs.
    8. We are on our way to stab all the things!
    Last edited by Geeksthenewsexy; 2022-09-13 at 06:33 AM.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

I like that summary :D let's clean this Space Hulk of all the Genestealers, shall me ?
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

6. - Top - End - #156

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    I like that summary :D let's clean this Space Hulk of all the Genestealers, shall me ?
    I got you, fam! (^_^)

Kill all the genestealers! If there is gonna be stealin' 'round here, it's gonna be Myriad doin' the stealin'! lol
    Last edited by Geeksthenewsexy; 2022-09-13 at 09:05 AM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

If you want to steal their eyeballs and/or their brains, please indulge yourself as soon as possible!

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

And now, Ereshki's Fort save against Str damage (1d20+13)[31], Dex damage (1d20+13)[33] and Cha damage (1d20+13)[30].

EDIT: mate, she's on a roll

EDIT 2: how high is the ceiling in our lobby, GM? I'm asking because I'm considering having Ereshki fly back to Ux Utanar by squeezing in the lobby, bu that wouldn't work if the lobby's not only narrow, but also low.
    Last edited by remetagross; 2022-09-14 at 07:30 AM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Orc in the Playground

EDIT 2: how high is the ceiling in our lobby, GM? I'm asking because I'm considering having Ereshki fly back to Ux Utanar by squeezing in the lobby, bu that wouldn't work if the lobby's not only narrow, but also low.
    Just under 15 ft., vaulted. Ereshki can squeeze through from above but will provoke an attack of opportunity from large creatures, or medium or smaller creatures with 10 ft. reach.
    Last edited by chaincomplex; 2022-09-14 at 12:14 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Noted. It's not an ideal way of fleeing, then. Though she could conceivably use the Withdraw full-round action to move away without provoking AoOs (for a single square), but it's stretching the realm of possibility that an Int 2 animal would think about such a complex maneuver when it's just been reduced to half its hit points in a single round.

Metastachydium, I so hear you about the 1/round swift action thing. Plus, the higher-levelled a character is, the more option it usually has for its swift actions. That's why I once built a Ruby Knight Vindicator PC, just so I could nab the Turn Undead = Swift action class feature.

About the fact Ux Utanar reacted first : yeah, given our relative Initiative scores, it's not very logical, but that's a small drawback of grouped initiative. Tell you what, in such a situation, there's no problem for me to roleplay that as Delja having moved first and Ux Utanar having acted second, when our actions do not rely on each other.

Now, I really hope they're gonna fail their Will save, else my poor mount is screwed.

11. - Top - End - #161

No worries! Delja's current things is a melancholy "damn, I used to be good at this"; identifying threats fast and then overthinking it so hard that the bulky dragonborn knight with a nominal initiative count of -3 gets to act before her is only par for course. Next round, on the other hand, I wouldn't mind to act first, since that would let me get away with using easier resources to recover than daily item charges.

In the meantime, I'm rooting hard for a succes with your Test of the Mettle. I'd be said about Ereshki if something happened to her and I've always wanted to see that ability do its thing (I've tried to use it recently in a lower level game, but alas, phase spiders don't have a language).

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, turns out no matter the amount of feats or WBL you invest in your mount, unless you're going with a class with a built-in mount, it's going to be extremely squishy at ECL 20 (and arguably, even then). So I hope the Knight's class feature will do its magic. Besides, it'd be funny if it'd force the monsters to squeeze in the passage.

Nice RP for Delja. The dynamic with Myriad is really cool.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Orc in the Playground

In case Myriad is waiting on the Test of Mettle outcome, it worked on the arachnoid (but not on the other things).
    Last edited by chaincomplex; 2022-09-16 at 11:51 AM.

14. - Top - End - #164

I just assumed Delja was slow to react because she was still startled by the quick-and-dirty sneak hug. lol

Also, sorry for the delay. We had a thunderstorm and my router went out yesterday before I could post and I had to wait until I could walk to the shop today to swap out the router that gave up the ghost...and I had to do it in very broken German gleened from a quickly-downloaded translation app because the lady spoke not a single word of English. lol

Side note: If you ever move to another country, start learning the language a few years ahead of time. Don't wait til 8 months beforehand. It won't be enough. lmao

15. - Top - End - #165

Quote Originally Posted by Geeksthenewsexy View Post
    I just assumed Delja was slow to react because she was still startled by the quick-and-dirty sneak hug. lol
    Given that it explicitly winded her (Myriad is stronger than she looks and Delja… well, Delja isn't), it officially didn't help!

because the lady spoke not a single word of English. lol
    From what I hear, that's something of a common occurence in Germany. They do have a pretty badass language, of course, but you have my sympathies regardless.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Orc in the Playground

Also, sorry for the delay. We had a thunderstorm and my router went out yesterday before I could post and I had to wait until I could walk to the shop today to swap out the router that gave up the ghost...and I had to do it in very broken German gleened from a quickly-downloaded translation app because the lady spoke not a single word of English. lol

Side note: If you ever move to another country, start learning the language a few years ahead of time. Don't wait til 8 months beforehand. It won't be enough. lmao
    Absolutely no worries about the delay, I was just making sure it wasn't me people were waiting on.

17. - Top - End - #167

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    From what I hear, that's something of a common occurence in Germany. They do have a pretty badass language, of course, but you have my sympathies regardless.
    Luckily, I know how to apologize and explain I don't speak German, but I do speak English...in German. And ask for a moment for translation while I dig out my phone. Thankfully all my neighbors in the apartment building speak at least a little English, and they were all very excited to meet me and test their English out. All very nice people from what I have seen, and very friendly. I was roped into a patio hangout last night with five neighbors, and it was a blast.

They all unanimously decided that since there is no Thanksgiving in Germany, we're going to have a pot-luck for the whole apartment building so that I don't have to miss out - I was put in charge of the main course (Brown Sugar & Pineapple Glayed Ham, because Turkey is lame...and dry), and everyone else is going to try their hands at a 'traditional American Thanksgiving side dish. Sooo...we will see how that goes. lol

18. - Top - End - #168
    Orc in the Playground

As an aside, while Test of Mettle requires that no creature attacks the target after the effect takes place other than the Knight using the ability, I'm handwaving this for the same players' block Test of Mettle is applied, because I don't want its use to be limited by posting order considerations.

19. - Top - End - #169

Sorry for ruining the ToM; I figured it was mainly meant to draw attention away from Ereshki which a full-attack should achieve.
    Also, the last iterative is a threat! Rolling to confirm: (1d20+15)[30] for (1d6+20)[25] magical piercing (cold iron?) plus (1d6)[2] cold and (1d4)[1] force.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Luckily, I know how to apologize and explain I don't speak German, but I do speak English...in German. And ask for a moment for translation while I dig out my phone. Thankfully all my neighbors in the apartment building speak at least a little English, and they were all very excited to meet me and test their English out. All very nice people from what I have seen, and very friendly. I was roped into a patio hangout last night with five neighbors, and it was a blast.

They all unanimously decided that since there is no Thanksgiving in Germany, we're going to have a pot-luck for the whole apartment building so that I don't have to miss out - I was put in charge of the main course (Brown Sugar & Pineapple Glayed Ham, because Turkey is lame...and dry), and everyone else is going to try their hands at a 'traditional American Thanksgiving side dish. Sooo...we will see how that goes. lol
    Your neighbours seem awesome but I'm gathering you're in a rather remote part of Germany, aren't you? I did an internship in Berlin at some point and everyone speaks English there. So I was mentally preparing my best German (which I had studied back in high school) sentences before speaking, delivering them with my best accent to the vendor...who instantly replied in perfect English, since that was easier for everyone. Needless to say, I didn't make a lot of improvement in German during that stay

Quote Originally Posted by chaincomplex View Post
    As an aside, while Test of Mettle requires that no creature attacks the target after the effect takes place other than the Knight using the ability, I'm handwaving this for the same players' block Test of Mettle is applied, because I don't want its use to be limited by posting order considerations.
    Thanks for that, it definitely makes things more convenient for me.

Also, the Fortitude save is an auto-pass (save DC 23 and Fort bonus +28) since Ux Utanar ignores auto-failures on 1s, but I'll roll it anyway just to add some roleplay in case I do get a 1 :D

Will save for Ereshki: (1d20+11)[26] but an additional +4 applies in case it's an [enchantment] effect, due to the Devotion animal companion feature. Fort save for Ereshki: (1d20+13)[29]

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah crap forgot to actually roll the save versus petrification (1d20+28)[47]

22. - Top - End - #172

Your neighbours seem awesome but I'm gathering you're in a rather remote part of Germany, aren't you? I
    Nope! I live in Herne, which sits right between Bochum and Dortmund. I'm assuming she was originally from eastern Germany, because she apparently also spoke Russian rather than English as a second language. Just the luck of the draw that day for me. lol

23. - Top - End - #173
    Orc in the Playground

I may have overdone the aberration spam 🤔. Well it's too late, I revealed the map, I've committed.

Enjoy making a ton of saves everyone. Exciting high-level gameplay!

24. - Top - End - #174

Default Myriad's Saves

Fort Save VS 4 Dex Damage (DC 29 to Negate) (1d20+22)[42]
    Fort Save VS Staggered (DC 30 to Negate) (1d20+22)[31]
    Fort Save VS 1 Dex Damage (DC 29 to Negate) (1d20+22)[31]
    Fort Save VS Staggered (DC 30 to Negate) (1d20+22)[31]

Ha! Skin. Of. My. Teeth. lol
    Last edited by Geeksthenewsexy; 2022-09-20 at 08:41 AM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Myriad's Saves

Fort Save VS 4 Dex Damage (DC 29 to Negate) (1d20+28)[48]
    Fort Save VS Staggered (DC 29 to Negate) (1d20+30)[35]
    Fort Save VS 1 Dex Damage (DC 29 to Negate) (1d20+11)[16]
    Fort Save VS Staggered (DC 29 to Negate) [roll3]
    This is what we call consistency. Also Geeks, isn't the bluff action allowing your next attack to be flat-footed? How do you get it to apply to the whole round?

It's all good GM, we're level 20 characters after all. We'll handle that. By the way, O2 should have triggered an AoO from Ux with the use of a spell-like ability, but I guess his pitiful roll of 25 on the attack roll I had pre-made in case of an AoO means it was a miss anyway.

Ux Utanar has acid resistance 20, so he ignores that, and since he wears a Retributive amulet, half the physical damage he has suffered from O2 is reflected back at it. So it takes 11 damage from that. Fort saves against Str damage (1d20+28)[48] and paralysis (1d20+30)[35]. And the same roll for Ereshki: (1d20+11)[16], with the added +4 in case that's an [enchantment] effect.

EDIT: I hope it's an [enchantment] effect. Also, I've just understood the aberrations must not have been affected by the Test of Mettle because their challenge rating must be inferior to 18. Also, it takes ages to precisely describe all the actions and options of a 20th-level character
    Last edited by remetagross; 2022-09-20 at 10:32 AM.

26. - Top - End - #176

Well, that's quite the stuff going on. First things first: Will save against DC 20 and paralysis: (1d20+18)[33]

27. - Top - End - #177

Great! Now, let's do something against that darkness floating around…

28. - Top - End - #178

A threat! A threat! To confirm: (1d20+26)[43] for (1d6+20)[21] magical piercing plus (1d6)[2] cold and (1d4)[3] force.

29. - Top - End - #179

This is what we call consistency. Also Geeks, isn't the bluff action allowing your next attack to be flat-footed? How do you get it to apply to the whole round?
    Yes, as I stated in the Spoiler, if it is fainted, only the first successful attack gets Sneak Attack (and bleed) damage. However, if the creature is considered flanked, then all attacks wound add the sneak attack (and bleed) damage. Specifically being applied because of flanking, making the faint a non-issue. Just not sure if being on two corner squares would be enough to be considered 'flanked' or not, so I erred on the side of caution and included all possible rolls.

Oops! Didn't catch that last save requirement: Will Save VS Paralyzation (DC 20) (1d20+22)[31]
    Last edited by Geeksthenewsexy; 2022-09-20 at 11:38 AM.

30. - Top - End - #180

making the feint a non-issue
    (Technically, feinting might matter even in such situations; depending on the attack roll, targetting normal or FF AC can make a difference.)