New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Returning Heroes [IC]

The natural lilt in her voice broadens as Aine goes on.

There’s more to it, bu’ suffice t’ say, one a the requirements is basically true love.

She points behind her to Natalie. An’ no. Ya ain’t her, Nat. So stop trying. I’m sorry.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Reskarra
    She eats a hunk of cheese and says
    "I uh.....don't think much of what I got? I mean a title doesn't mean much to me. Like, what would I uh... even DO with a title? It just er......seems pointless and inconsequential compared to the powers divine and arcane? Not that I'm not thankful I just uh.....have other concerns."
    She says thinking about whether she is on the right track of those concerns or not. Did perhaps Galtan change fate to distract her with this kingdom political nonsense? Or was it just the result of her own ignorant manipulations, or was it completely unrelated? That and she was a goblin, a short little being amid a world of tall humans with fancier getups and proper etiquette when her entire education and getting into a magical academy at all was a big stroke of luck for her, most people she knew before that couldn't afford such education.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #33
    Colossus in the Playground

"The title is what you make of it-and what others credit you for it," Nicholas responds. "If I had to guess, King Namor will be granting you some small amount of land to go with the titles-probably going to poach from my family's territory, or someplace near it. He's not a half-bad man, but he's still a politician, after all."
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    She points behind her to Natalie. An’ no. Ya ain’t her, Nat. So stop trying. I’m sorry.
    My heart is forever broken! Natalie blows a kiss~
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm. Tell me, what makes you so certain that the king intends to carve off territory from your family in particular?
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36

"Experience," he says simply. "Though there's another factor at play here-my family is on the edge of our territory. You know, close to danger-and therefore suited rather well for people like yourselves."

Spoiler: Insight DC 11
    Show
    His little snark at the beginning, along with how he's saying it and the looks you're getting from the other nobility...

Alton family is apparently not the most-liked.

Show
    Show

Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Reskarra
    "Ah, that sucks uh, Lord Alton. D...doesn't seem your in a good position then. I uuuuh....hope we can be good neighbors? Cause I think we're uuuuh....in the same boat here. Politically speaking."
    She looks at meaningfully at the sneers and glares around them while taking another bite of chicken. Don't make enemies with the person who lives next to you after all.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2022-04-11 at 09:39 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Perhaps we can improve on everything better as neighbors. You aren’t liked. We aren’t well liked. Misery loves company, and with two of us, we can do more together than we could have apart.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

9. - Top - End - #39

"Exactly my thoughts," Nicholas says with a broad and earnest smile.

One of the servants-a young man-approaches and asks "Do any of you require assistance?"

Nicholas nods. "I have a few questions, actually-do you think you could answer them in private?"

"Of course, sir," the servant responds. Nicholas waves goodbye to you, and leads the servant elsewhere.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I think I'm gonna skip ahead a little bit.

But, before I do, I'd like one or two things from each of you!

1) A general declaration of actions throughout the feast.
    2) A check, if appropriate, for accomplishing your goals for the night.

Show
    Show

Show

10. - Top - End - #40

The feast winds on. The food is great, the servants helpful, and the nobles... Well, that's the worst bit,

Natalie, though, helps brighten the mood. She asks for some music, and begins to dance with it, pulling a nearby servant woman into her arms as she does. Her dance it enthralling, catching everyone's eyes, and lasts for a good five minutes, even if her partner isn't quite able to keep up. When she finishes, she gives a deep bow, to a hearty round of applause.

Spoiler: Perception DC 16, Auto-Pass For Natalie
    Show
    The woman who you snagged to dance with is breathing heavily, her face flushed, and as you head back to the tables, she whispers "That was... Amazing. Thank you, ma'am."

With the show done, she settles back at her spot, and chats amongst the others. She gets a certain amount of restrained male attention-they're civilized, after all, but by the same token, Natalie is quite entrancing.

Aine starts to work her way through the courtesies of the palace, with some help from Natalie's performance and schmoozing. She settles on one Harold Straken, talking to him throughout the rest of the meal.

He takes a shine to her, smiling and chatting along with her.

Ralston talks to everyone as well, and often shadows Natalie as a "bodyguard". He finds it a touch ironic that he'd be considered to protecting her "innocence", but it does help him listen without interfering.

He picks up a few things of note.

Spoiler: Things Of Note
    Show
    The Altons... They're not well-liked. They're "deviants" in the words of the nobles, with one of their lords having been openly in a relationship with another man before his unfortunate accident. You can't tell if that's a real accident, or an "accident".
    They've been, not exactly exiled or anything, but put to the edge of the territory, where it's dangerous and isolated. But so far, they've done well for themselves-annoying so, to many of the others.

The Straken family is the next one you learn a decent chunk about. If anyone would've caused the Alton accident, it would've been them. They're the left-hand family, assassins, scumbags, thugs, and enforcers. They handle the dirty work, and have a lot of power because of that.

The Namor family, you also get clued in, is currently without an heir. Sarah is the only child of Jonathan, and if he dies before she marries or he has a son... End of Namor line, as far as ruling goes.

The Omge family control the breadbasket of this city-state. They're loyal to a fault, though, and generally nice to everyone.

Reskarra finds an excuse to leave before dessert is served, and performs a ritual in her room to see what's going on.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2022-04-12 at 07:59 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

11. - Top - End - #41

Natalie approaches King Namor.

Um, question. Are we getting rooms in the palace for right now?

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Aine will spend some time talking to Harold. She will ask about some of the politics within the kingdom, which she will find incredibly interesting no matter how dull Harold turns out to be.

Show
    Guessing a persuasion check to get some information from him?

(1d20+12)[21]

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Based on what he’s able to pick up, Ralston takes a particular interest in any members of the Straken family present, in particular ones that seem particularly close to the king.
    Meanwhile, he sends out a brief telepathic message to each of his allies.

Keep a close eye on any nobles from the Straken family. They’re our most likely enemies at the moment. I’ll explain more later.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Show

14. - Top - End - #44

"Ah, of course!" the king tells Natalie. "We've prepared some rooms, though they aren't as grandiose as befits you. Whenever you're ready to turn in, just let one of the servants know, and they'll take you there."

Harold is actually quite a vibrant young man. He's full of wit and vigor, and lets you know that part of the power of the city-state rests in the Omge family. They're generally not particularly active in the political realm, but their domain includes most all of the farms. They feed the city, they feed the villages around it, they feed trade partners... And you can't march on an empty stomach.

He also lets slip that there's more to the Altons than meets the eye.

Not being learned of the nobilities' families, you can't really keep track of who's a Straken and who's not. Not without some assistance, at least-but you do keep your ears open.

Spoiler: Wisdom (Perception or Insight) DC 15
    Show
    Aine's companion appears to be a Straken.

Show
    Show

Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Aine gets closer to Harold.

You should tell me more about the Altons. Especially if he is correct in believing that my comrades and I will be granted land out of their holdings. I would like to know more about anyone who might hold a grudge against us.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

16. - Top - End - #46

Harold nods. "They didn't come from the same stock the rest of us did. Are you familiar with the northern wastes?" he asks. When you tell him not especially, he explains briefly "They're about what you'd expect. Barren, blasted wastelands, where it's a struggle to survive. The Alton family were warlords amongst them, and eventually had a peace forged with the Namor family. They've retained a certain... Legacy, though."

Show
    Show

Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

You make them sound like some kind of romanticized, noble savages. Someone to keep watch on, but not especially fear.
    Last edited by Lentrax; 2022-04-13 at 03:49 PM.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

18. - Top - End - #48

"I suppose so," Harold replies. "Perhaps my judgement is colored. Still-be cautious. I'd hate to see someone as truly heroic as yourself get caught up in any sort of nastiness."

He stands from the table, and offers you his hand. "Shall we depart?"

Show
    Show

Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Of course.

Aine takes the hand.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Ralston narrows his eyes as he watches Aine and the Straken scion. One of them was playing the other, and he intended to make sure his ally wasn't the mark. Closing his eyes, he sent out another telepathic message to Aine.

By the by, your playmate is one of the nobles I warned you about. The family is reputedly full of assassins, so be on your guard.

My Homebrew

Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Aine hates it when he talks into her mind. It's bad enough that she has someone else holding sway over her very life and soul.

But she has no way to respond to him feeling like he can share anything he wants into her mind. So instead she ignores the Dragonborn. Almost.

She can't help herself, and instead conjures the image of a ring in a box floating in the air in front of him, reminding him of his own discomforts.

And then she readjusts Harold's arms into a far more intimate position, and carries on.
    Last edited by Lentrax; 2022-04-13 at 05:59 PM.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Reskarra
    She will do her ritual with her tarot cards, draw them and laying them out, doing some calculations...and reading the stars it becomes clear what the answer is. Reskarra will wander back to Ralston and whispers to him
    "Hey I uuh..... used divination. some, but not most of the nobles will try to kill us within seven days because of uh.... your marriage to the princess. J-j-j-j-just wanted cast it to make sure and letting you know Ralston since your probably the t-t-target."
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2022-04-13 at 06:07 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53

Show
    Aine being saucy!

I'll give both Aine and Ralston inspiration for that little interaction.

Harold seems a touch surprised, but puts his arms around Aine as the two walk towards the stairs, heading upwards to his chambers.

Show
    Show

Show

24. - Top - End - #54

Night falls, the sunlight dimming from the windows of the palace.

Aine retires to Harold's room, where he is a perfect gentleman, doing no more with Aine than she wishes.
    Ralston, Natalie, and Reskarra go to their own chambers, lead by a servant, where they're able to get some sleep, despite any worries they might have.

Morning comes, and you have some time to luxuriate in being able to sleep past the sunrise.

For the three who went to bed alone, there's two servants seated outside your doors. They're talking to each other, though once you make your presence known, they snap to attention. One of them is the woman Natalie danced with, the other a man you've not seen before.
    For Aine, you awaken the next day and find a note on the bedside table, from Harold. It says "Thank you for spending the night with me. I have duties to attend to, and I didn't wish to wake you early. Ring the bell should you need a servant's assistance."

Eventually, you all find yourselves in a simple mess hall. The servants who help you offer to take you somewhere more grandiose, but you had quite enough of that last night! There are no nobles in the mess with you, but plenty of servants, guards, and other workers.

Show
    Show

Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

With the dawn, Aine’s antlers disappear, replaced by flowers. Today, her patron has selected a variety of lilies, in various shades of whites and yellows.

She tucks the note away, and goes off to find a place to break her fast.

When she gets to the simple mess hall, she gets herself a plate of food not entirely unlike what she had the night before. And I’m addition, a cup of tea. And then she waits for the others.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

After a few weeks of eating stale rations and whatever could be foraged, Ralston is glad to be able to sit down to a proper breakfast.

Good morning, Aine.

My Homebrew

Show

27. - Top - End - #57

Hey Aine~ Natalie cuddles up to the girl. How was your night~? She grins deviously

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

It went well.

She thinks for a moment as she pops another berry into her mouth.

Enough.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I hope it was productive as well as entertaining. Your playmate, or his family at least, is likely plotting to kill me. Probably Natalie here as well, now that I think about it.

My Homebrew

Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Reskarra
    "W-w-well. We need to be alert for the next seven days so....watch yer backs I guess...."
    She begins eating breakfast with much the same manners as she did last night, not really aware or caring how improper it is.
    "We could uh....investigate the Strakens more? If they have um, a history of doing this we could uh, y'know, find some consistent methods for how they do it, how they will s-s-strike, y'know? a-and prepare for it."