New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Nightmare in Katapesh IC

When Kharesh shoves the corpses into the sewage, the woman kicking Purheegee’s corpse screams in a raw, undirected rage, but then seems to calm considerably. The corpses themselves slowly drift down this river of foulness. Sadar’s blunt organizational efforts make a bit of progress happen, and a few of the woman slowly venture a few feet down the path you came in along. At Gex’s offer, the woman takes one look at Gex’s shoes and haughtily decries them as “too small.” The unconscious bodies are carried fireman style by the strongest in the group.

Given the nature of this parade, very little progress is made before the Zephyr Guard arrive. Six armed and armored individuals follow a brown-eyed armored woman of average height, with a bit of straw blond hair visible under the helmet, and an Aluum golem command torc around her neck. The guard’s weapons are drawn, but things do not seem terribly aggressive, still the woman bellows, “we are taking all of you in! Do not resist! If I need to bring the golem down here, I will see you regret it!” The sunlight coming through the grate in the very high ceiling is suddenly blotted out, and you can see an Aluum golem backlit there. The soldiers begin to redirect the women, back to the north passage. Manacles are drawn…

Spoiler: All
    Show
    If anyone wants to resist, flee, or try to talk your way out of this situation, you are welcome to try. All of you would be well aware of the Zephyr Guard’s reputation for competence and martial skill. If I don’t hear from anyone, I’ll advance the game.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Now hold on a second," Dalnu said, "I don't mind coming with you, as we have some things to tell you, but not in manacles.
    We came here to rescue these women from those who abducted them. And we best make haste, as some of these people need medical attention quickly."

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

diplomacy: (1d20+7)[15]
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

The guard woman glares at Dalnu, “we will treat them quickly, but perhaps you underestimate the gravity of the charges leveled against you. You entered a merchant’s,” she trails off for an instant and glances around the sewer, before clearly forcing herself to utter, home. This merchant is now missing and you appear to be fleeing with his alleged chattel in tow. Until we investigate, we do not know your level of guilt. It will bode poorly if you add resisting arrest to your charges. You are leaving this sewer manacled, your only choice is whether they are put on you now or when you are unconscious.”

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Gex frowns. "And what proof do you have of any of this?" he asks, putting his hands on his hips. "We are merely recovering Stolen property, they didn't like what we suggested, and attacked us, this was all self defense." he pauses, "Unless someone else is saying otherwise?" he asks, with a raised eyebrow as if he were a parent talking to his child.

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy - (1d20+7)[12]

Gex
    HP's: 16/16
    AC: 16
    Class DC: 17
    Speed: 25ft
    Fort: +5
    Ref: +6
    Will:+5
    Perception: +3
    Feats: Hobnobber, Unexpected Shift
    Effects: none
    Spells:
    1. 1st level - 0/3

Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Gex clearly angered her a bit, “you are talking to the Zephyr Guard! Show some respect! Determining proof is precisely what we will investigate. Right now, you will be held, but we will not charge you with anything unless the case against you is strong.”

Her tone softens a bit and she says, “coming quietly is your best hope of a happy outcome here.” She then spares a sympathetic glance to the women, before adding quietly, “we aren’t monsters.”

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Gex frowns, and then begins to panic. "But.." he points to the women, the sewer, everything "but we...." he looks to the others with pleading eyes and then sighs, holding up his wrists, but refusing to look any guard in the eye.

This was not what he had hoped to experience on this city, the laws here were giving him a migraine.

Spoiler
    Show

Gex
    HP's: 24/24
    AC: 17
    Class DC: 18
    Fort: +6
    Ref: +7
    Will:+6
    Perception: +4
    Feats: Hobnobber, Unexpected Shift
    Spells:
    • 1st level - 1/4

Bosco Badger (tiny)
    HP's: 10/10
    Will: +6
    Perception: +6
    Speed: 25 ft, 5ft burrow, 25ft fly
    Senses: Low-Light Vision
    Abilities: Flier, Burrower
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2022-09-20 at 04:54 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

7. - Top - End - #277
    Firbolg in the Playground

Gurmok recoils in shock as he understands the local law is in favor of... the gnoll slavers! The sound of his master's voice echoes in his mind: "Go into the world. Learn. Come back when you have seen all the lands around the sea. Then show me what you have learned." He wonders if the old dwarf anticipated that learning would entail a stint in jail. He probably did.

Clearly, resisting arrest makes little sense, and it would jeopardize the women, too. He decides to at least try and ingratiate himself with law enforcement.

"Good morning, Officer. My name is Gurmok. All we are doing here is rescuing persons who are in danger of their lives. I beg you to let us take these dying persons and carry them to a safer place. I acknowledge that I am a foreigner in this city, and I may have failed to understand the law in full. But if this is a merchant's home, then surely that business must be in breach of some safety regulations... No one in their right mind would keep animals in such an unsafe and unhealthy environment.

That said, you are doing your duty, and as such you have my full respect. I am prepared to answer for my actions."

He submits to manacles without resistance.

Spoiler
    Show
    This conversation, I guess, will last at least a minute, so, roll to Make an impression: (1d20+3)[23]
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2022-09-20 at 08:43 PM.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Kharesh Hammerfist, dwarven monk

Kharesh adopted a defensive stance when the guards approached, but even with his desire to push himself to the limit, he knew a losing cause. He let the others attempt to talk themselves out of incarceration, but he had no tongue for such things. He simply waited silently, uncertain anything he said would make a difference.

OOC - Kharesh has nothing
    Effects / Status / Conditions: Mountain Stance; Darkvision; Ancient Blooded Dwarf (+1 save vs magic); Cat Fall (falls are 10’ less)

Spoiler: Crunch& Status
    Show
    AC: 17 (19) HP 10/22 Initiative +5
    Saves: Fort +7 Ref +7 Will +7 Per +5 / Move 20’ (15’)
    Abilities: Str 18 Dex 14 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 14 Cha 8
    Skills: Acrobatics +5, Athletics +7, Warfare Lore +3, Religion +5, Stealth +5, Pahmet Lore +3
    Abilities: Call on Ancient Blood (prior to rolling a save vs magical effect, add +1 [circ]); Flurry of blows (make two strikes for 1 action [flourish]); Mountain stance (see below); Darkvision; Dwarven Weapon Familiarity; Cat Fall (treat falls as 10' shorter)
    Stance: Mountain (+4 AC, +2 vs Shove/Trip, +0 Max Dex, -5 ft move; Falling Stone are only Strikes useable in stance)
    Combat: Axe (+7 / 1d8S+4 / sweep); Clan Dagger (+7 / 1d4P+4 / agile, dwarf, parry, uncommon, versatile B); Unarmed (+7 / 1d6B+4 / agile, finesse, nonlethal, unarmed); Falling Stone (+7 / 1d8B+4 / forceful, nonlethal, unarmed)
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

9. - Top - End - #279

Mauricio feels the fragile hope of escape wither and die as the women are in no shape to make a speedy escape. They're simply too out of their element to think beyond the most basic needs. The glint of a distant torch against armor causes Mauricio's heart to squeeze in his withered chest. There's simply no way they can hope to outrun their pursuers. And yet, Mauricio cannot even consider leaving the women behind. His pride simply won't let him. Mauricio carries one with an arm draped over his shoulder.

Before Mauricio can deliver a scathing retort to Gurmok's naivete, the inevitable happens. Now they are the ones trapped like rats in a maze. Mauricio says nothing, knowing that the thrice-damned gnoll still has more legal virtue with the Zephyr Guard than any of them. Gods, why did he ever want to come to this city?! Unfortunately, the guard captain is correct. Surrender is the only real option at that point... even if that potentially leads to the slaver's block. As he puts out his hands for the shackles, Mauricio only says, "To add onto what the lady said, some of these women are in late stage filth fever. If they do not receive proper treatment within the day, they will be dead by tomorrow night."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Will update stats after incarceration
    Mauricio Averni
    HP: 13/17
    AC: 14
    Class DC: 17
    Speed: 25
    Fort: +4
    Ref: +6
    Will: +7
    Perception: +7
    Feats: Forensic Acumen, That's Odd
    Last edited by Prehysterical; 2022-09-20 at 08:28 PM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Gurmok’s penitent submission definitely takes a certain edge off the guardswoman. “Gurmok, I am Lieutenant Haviksoog.” She personally clasps that manacles on the goblin, and says softly as she does so, “as a Zephyr Guard, I say you are breaking the law, but that doesn’t mean I think you are in the wrong. These women will be treated,” she adds the last sentence more loudly. After clasping all of you in manacles, one guard stays behind to look around, while the rest lead you out of the sewer through the north. Mood is morose and conversation discouraged. This ladder to the surface is a bit shorter. The guards readily consent to hauling Zen up as well.

It takes some time for your eyes to adjust to the light again. Once on the surface, it is a short march to the Dogtown barracks. This is a substantial structure, probably the largest in Dogtown. Before entry, a young guardsmen supplies you with copious applications of prestidigitation until you no longer stink. You are then led through a series of gates to a block of cells, mostly full of gnolls, though many humans as well, and one cell contains two halflings. Finally, you are placed two to a cell. Zen is taken to another area and they assure Gurmok that no harm will come to him. You are searched, your possessions are collected, and placed into separate bags. Though a bit demeaning, the process proceeded mechanically and without any added humiliation.

There you spend much of the day awaiting some news. The first comes after a few hours with the delivery of seedy bread, a pat of butter, and brothy soup, the guard tells you that the women are being treated and should all recover.

The sun is once again low in the sky when Lieutenant Haviksoog approaches with three other guards. She is no longer wearing a helmet and her blonde hair is put up behind her head in a ball. She unlocks your cells. “Come this way. Captain al Hisan wants to speak with you.” Still in manacles, you are led down a few corridors and, after a knock, into a room.

A handsome Nidalese man with delicate features and messy jet black hair over gray eyes sits behind a large desk. He is young - very young - probably only in his late twenties, which given his high rank suggests he’s either exceptionally talented or comes from a powerful family - probably both. “Zira, remove their bindings, please.” Haviksoog unlocks the manacles and takes them aside. She then sets them on a chair and stands quietly by the door.

“My name is Captain Ryaa al Hisan. I am responsible for seeing to the enforcement of the law in Dogtown. Among some minor infractions, I have you on murdering a non-guild affiliated merchant and his bodyguard and attempting to abscond with his chattel that he obtained through quasi-legal means. Now, there are three plausible explanations for this,” he raises a finger, “you are diehard abolitionists who are part of a concerted effort to free all the enslaved and upend the Katapeshi economy,” the second finger rises, “you thought to kill this gnoll merchant and sell his property as your own,” he raises a final finger, “you were trying to free one woman at the request of her husband, this gnoll would not have let you, attacked you and died. Now the evidence points strongly to this third option, but this is still all illegal in Katapesh, mind you. There isn’t a judge in this city who wouldn’t throw the book at you, here a minimum of two year sentence, likely with the possibility of purchase - and, if we are honest, depending on who the purchaser has cooking their books could result in lifelong service.”

He pauses for a long moment, then says, “I am a man tasked with upholding the law, but there are times when the law is imperfect, wouldn’t you agree? This woman, Sofh, would have been sold as a scholarly resource, but those other woman you liberated would have been condemned to a truly awful fate… Here is my offer: I have a problem that I need fixed - the law can’t help with it, but a bunch of do gooders like yourselves are perfect for. You take care of this, your murder and obstruction of capitalism charges will disappear and never go before a judge, and we all go home happy. What say you?”

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Dalnu wasn't all that happy in the jail, although without her weapons and armour she's still deadly if she wants to be. But she's also smart enough not to try and fight her way out of jail. Besides, where would she go. When the captain gives them his deal, her mood doesn't improve.

"Some would call that extortion," she said, not really liking the fact that she has no other choice but to do the captain's dirty work for him, "as we don't really have a choice. So okay for me, but I can't speak for the others. And I would like to see Soth if I can. We know each other from before."

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Scowling at the guards, but proffering his own wrists in submission Gex submits himself to being arrested. He is silent, and sullen as they are marched out into the blinding sun, which makes his mood even more sour.

As they are separated, he tries to shooshle the line so he and Gurmok share a cell, two small'uns in a cell wouldn't look strange, and perhaps they can escape together?

Once alone, he looks to Gurmok "I'm sorry they took your dog, maybe we can sneak out and get her?" he says in a whisper as they come to get them to talk to the captain.

Listening to the Captain, Gex sighs, it seems he would become a rapscallion after all, even after everything his mother said. "It seems we have lost our agency, so, what is this task you need done Captain?"

Spoiler
    Show

Gex
    Feats: Hobnobber, No cause for Alarm
    Spells:
    • 1st level - 1/4

Bosco Squirrel (tiny)
    Speed: 25 ft, 25ft climb, 25ft fly
    Abilities: Flier, Climber
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2022-09-21 at 09:51 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Captain al Hisan frowns, “look… the primary evidence tying you to the events are the testimony of a gnoll child and a bunch of circumstantial matters. This Purheegee was not in any guild, was apparently extremely unpopular among his kind, and kept literally no record of sales. On the other hand, the judiciary loves to skewer abolitionists, so there is considerable risk. Off the record, what you allegedly did in the sewer was not exactly wrong. I have a rare opportunity where I can make this problem disappear for you. There is risk for me in doing so. There is also a humanitarian disaster growing in my streets that I lack the authority to do a damn thing about.”

“As you surely know, there is no such thing as an illicit drug in Katapesh. Pesh itself is essential to the economy - our city and nation are literally named after it. In the past few weeks, some highly addictive new drug called Bliss has shown up. What we know is it causes intense euphoria, then after continued use what seems to be irreparable insanity. You may have seen some of these people sitting around without a care in the world. The ones that have gone insane are violent and destructive, they fly into an unending fit of rage. Those we’ve managed to subdue never really come out of it; others have killed or been killed when we try to stop them. People are dying, but in my official capacity, I can’t do anything directly about the source, only damage control on the consequences. I don’t care how you fix it - destroy the maker, the operations, the supply - whatever - just get it off the streets. You do that, your problem disappears.”

Spoiler: Mauricio legal lore
    Show
    The process of turning a temporarily indentured individual into a permanent slave is something Mauricio is unsure is possible. Most everything else he said checks out with your legal understanding. As to whether the local judiciary is really out to get abolitionists, you are not sure (more in the domain of lore: Katapesh). You suspect that if that is not the case, the low volume of actual evidence plus some well placed bends of the truth from all of you could get you released, but it would take time and have no guarantee of success.

You can see how what he asks of you now is something he can’t do much about, but depending on what you end up doing, it wouldn’t have to be illegal even.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Gex was sullen, but his frown and scowl quickly lifted as the captain detailed his plight, and then Gex had a hard time not jumping up and asking to help!

"Very well Captain, i think I may have misjudged you, but in the current circumstances I think that may be excusable?" he pauses, rubbing both wrists "My apologies, and I think I can talk for the majority here, in saying we would be happy to help." he folds his wrists, one hand grasping the other at his stomach "We most definitely saw those poor people, do you have a place for us to start in our investigation?" he asks earnestly, "Oh, and perhaps...you could answer a question for us? How is the investigation into the market outbreak the other day? that poor mans wares were confiscated and he....well...I hope everything is ok."

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy - (1d20+8)[11]

Gex
    Feats: Hobnobber, No cause for Alarm
    Spells:
    • 1st level - 1/4

Bosco Squirrel (tiny)
    Speed: 25 ft, 25ft climb, 25ft fly
    Abilities: Flier, Climber
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

15. - Top - End - #285

Quote Originally Posted by BelGareth View Post
    As they are separated, he tries to shooshle the line so he and Gurmok share a cell, two small'uns in a cell wouldn't look strange, and perhaps they can escape together?

Once alone, he looks to Gurmok "I'm sorry they took your dog, maybe we can sneak out and get her?" he says in a whisper as they come to get them to talk to the captain.
    Gurmok looks at the friendly gnome quizzically. Since the beginning of his travels, it's about the first time someone has used the word "sorry" while addressing him. Maybe being prisoners together makes friends of strangers. He starts to reply, "I am a little worried, I have to say... Zen is lovely, he really is! But he can be a little messy sometimes..." But the whispered conversation is stopped by the arrival of the guards, and soon the group is ushered in the presence of Captain al Hisan.

As he listens to the man's explanation, Gurmok's mouth is half open in incomprehending astonishment. He doesn't know what's more confusing: That the law considers freeing slaves a worse crime than murdering their owner, or that the people tasked with enforcing the law are openly offering to break it! Because, let's face it, Purheegee deserved to die, but in the eyes of any reasonable law, his killing has to be a crime... And this captain is suggesting they can all get scot-free if they help him with some problem.

So, maybe not so much of a stint in jail, then. He has no qualms with taking advantage of the chance that is so liberally given. And it's probably wise not to ask too pointed a question about how exactly the regulations work in this stange city.

"Yes, Captain, Sir. I am relieved that you confirm our efforts only broke the law, er... just a little bit. And I am grateful that you allow us this opportunity to redeem ourselves. I will gadly help, as best I can."
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2022-09-24 at 06:35 PM.

16. - Top - End - #286

As much as Mauricio has grown to hate the desert sun, he welcomes it with (metaphorical) open arms as they emerge from the sewers. The shackles chafe at his dignity more than at his wrists, but Mauricio is keenly aware of an itchy spot between his shoulder blades that would become home to blades of a different kind should he try to escape. Only the comfort of the women being treated allows Mauricio to maintain his composure as they are marched away.

He shares the cell with Dalnu during their forced wait, resorting to physiological diagrams drawn on the walls when the level of boredom becomes sufficient. It comes as a surprise, but really shouldn't be, when their captor informs them of their impending meeting. After the captain hands out his discretionary assignment, Mauricio hears some of his own concerns echoed by Dalnu. In all fairness, this assignment isn't nearly as shady as Mauricio had been expecting. If they were to be cat's paws, at least this way they might do some good here in the city.

"Do you know who these people are that become addicts, captain? Are they the poor, or is Bliss being targeted toward the rich or moderately successful? Knowing the target demographic is very important. If this is being used to ensnare the poor, the ingredients have to be cheap enough to justify it. Otherwise, a considerable amount of infrastructure would be necessary for mass production."

Show

Medicine check to Recall Knowledge about pesh and possible competing narcotics: (1d20+8)[26]
    Mauricio Averni
    HP: 26/26
    AC: 15
    Will: +8
    Perception: +8
    Feats: Forensic Acumen, That's Odd, Battle Medicine, Ward Medic

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

The Captain thinks for a moment and then says, “there does not seem to be a major demographic trend here. The men and women skew poorer, but I wouldn’t exactly call this a pattern. I do not believe there is a huge volume of the drug in circulation. It’s a liquid, dabbed into the nose. Highly addictive and quick to drive users insane. It is not prevalent outside of Dogtown, I don’t know why. Where to start? I will say the users themselves are pretty useless - they are either non-responsive or trying to kill you. The distributors are probably your best starting point - apothecaries, pesh dens, some shops that dabble in the trade.”

“Although I heard about an incident in the market yesterday, it is outside of my jurisdiction and I know only a little of what transpired. Most of the women have been released into the care of friends or family, with the exception of those who were too ill, but they should be released tomorrow.”

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Sadar

Sadar had been mostly quiet in the march back, the shame of being manacled for saving the woman combined with the blood loss and heavy wounds leaving him semi-stupified. When they are taken into the Captain's office he nods sadly at the words, expecting and accepting that its likley that they would be bought by slavers and sold into mines or fighting pits for a likley squalid existence.

At mention of helping the captain he looks up, a glimmer of hope in his eyes. "So Captain, I know I would favour helping you rid your district, if not the City of this bliss. To help speed things up would you be bale to suggest a contact, either helpful or one you believe underhanded that we could start with in our efforts to curtail the supply of Bliss?"

Looking at the others he grins a little. "I assume we are all in agreement, that helping the Captain is preferable to a rigged trial and an auction block?"
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

19. - Top - End - #289

"Yes, Master Sadar. I believe that you are likely speaking for all of us", Gurmok answers solemnly.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

Gex raises one eye brow as Sadar says almost exactly what he had just said

He looks around silently, and then to Gurmok and says with his eyes ‘did that really just happen?’
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

The Captain thinks for a moment and then looks to Lieutenant Haviksoog. The woman interprets his glance, clears her throat, and says, “in addition to general apothecaries and chemists, there is a specific pesh den owner in Dogtown, Kamil al Shiysha, who could know something about this and is quite talkative. Depending on his view of the situation, he could be quite eager to send you in the right direction. You could start there. You could also ask Moss Pelt at the Rabid Dog. He’s not always the most forthcoming, but if he knows something, which he generally does, and it isn’t gnoll business, he will divulge it for a price. I also have dealt with a halfling petty thief who goes by Rat Bone, who will sometimes sell information to us, but she can be difficult to locate and generally charges far more than the information is worth. Only when she grossly underestimates the value is what she sells worth it.”

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Kharesh had sat silently in the cage, meditating as others might chaff against the incarceration. When the time came to answer to the constabulary, he rose without comment and followed the guards to the office.
    There, he listened as the man laid out their fate in no uncertain terms and then proceeded to use their situation to strongarm them into aiding him. The task itself seemed straight forward enough, even noble to some, but there were still dangers for those who did not ask questions or look past the slippery words and into the heart of the matter. He cleared his throat and asked quietly, "We are at the whim of laws we don't fully understand. We freed stolen women, but you say that is legal and we are wrong. We defended ourselves from gnoll attacks, but you say we are in the wrong. Now you say to stop the drugs ... but you have said they are legal here. What is to stop you from saying we are wrong tomorrow and throwing us back in prison? How can we trust anything not written down or witnessed only by those here? This city is filled with lies and we have fallen for them too many times ..."

OOC - Kharesh will help, but isn't keen on getting screwed again for doing a good deed.
    Effects / Status / Conditions: Mountain Stance; Darkvision; Ancient Blooded Dwarf (+1 save vs magic); Cat Fall (falls are 10’ less)

Show
    Skills: Acrobatics +5, Athletics +7, Warfare Lore +3, Religion +5, Stealth +5, Pahmet Lore +3
    Abilities: Call on Ancient Blood (prior to rolling a save vs magical effect, add +1 [circ]); Flurry of blows (make two strikes for 1 action [flourish]); Mountain stance (see below); Darkvision; Dwarven Weapon Familiarity; Cat Fall (treat falls as 10' shorter)
    Stance: Mountain (+4 AC, +2 vs Shove/Trip, +0 Max Dex, -5 ft move; Falling Stone are only Strikes useable in stance)
    Combat: Axe (+7 / 1d8S+4 / sweep); Clan Dagger (+7 / 1d4P+4 / agile, dwarf, parry, uncommon, versatile B); Unarmed (+7 / 1d6B+4 / agile, finesse, nonlethal, unarmed); Falling Stone (+7 / 1d8B+4 / forceful, nonlethal, unarmed)

23. - Top - End - #293

Mauricio blinks, as if having difficulty understanding Kharesh's point. "...Master dwarf, would you prefer to go back to your cell right now? The captain here is clearly utilizing us as a bit of extra-legal assistance in dealing with a public menace. You are correct in that he could throw us back into our cells, but even if he did, it's only the exact same result we would receive if we declined. If nothing else, I am happy to get one less addictive substance off of the streets. Wounds heal, but addiction cripples for life."

Looking to the others, Mauricio recommends, "I recommend we start with this Kamil. One must imagine that a pesh dealer would be happy to undercut any competition."

Show

Sense Motive on the captain just in case: (1d20+8)[9]
    Mauricio Averni
    HP: 26/26
    AC: 15
    Will: +8
    Perception: +8
    Feats: Forensic Acumen, That's Odd, Battle Medicine, Ward Medic

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

“I understand your concern, Mister Hammerfist. Let me amend your statement though. You freed those women, an act in violation of the city laws, yet one I must concede was not wrong, but rather right. That is precisely why we are having this conversation at all. On the other hand, upholding the law, not a fantasy of what the law should be, is my job. You have my word that I will get rid of your problem if you complete this task. Assuming you don’t burn down an orphanage or anything. If my word is not enough, know that I will be releasing you in a few minutes. The truth is that I do not have the resources to pursue you outside of the city, so if you board a ship to another destination, there is little I could do to stop you. So I am putting my trust in you to complete this task, rather than just fleeing the city.”

After general ascent and a few moments of silence, Captain al Hisan declares, “then it’s settled! I am glad to know you will be on this task. I’m not going to set a hard deadline, because I have no idea how long it will take. But consider this your job for the moment. If a week goes by, and you aren’t working on it, I’ll bring you back in and send this sewer matter to trial. If you have minor legal problems in Dogtown as you pursue this, then we can probably brush them aside. Other districts will take time if you are arrested, so try not to be. Lieutenant Haviksoog, who you’ve met, will be your contact. Keep her apprised of the investigation, let her know if you have to leave the city, and so on.” He motions to the side of the room where several large bags sit, “here are your possessions. You are free to go. I look forward to your report.”

You collect your supplies. Haviksoog leads you out of the room, gives you time to don armor if you so choose, and then brings you outside. There, an ecstatic looking goblin guard is rubbing Zen’s belly.

Spoiler: All
    Show
    While not downtime exactly, you aren’t in a huge rush now, so IDing items, selling supplies, purchasing new things, socializing, etc, can all happen now.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Sadar

Sadal looks at the Captain and after a moment of consideration gives the man a respectful bow. "My thanks Captain. I understand the dilemma" then at the others as they are released he nods to the others. "Do we need to time to rest and prepare or shall we seek out this Moss Pelt and Pesh Den immediately?" Looking at his own battered frame and still pale hands from all the blood loss he does admit, "I admit, a nights rest to and a hearty meal would see me better prepared for tomorrow"

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I think a good night rest would be a good thing," Dalnu said, "and we can also make some plans tonight instead of just rushing in."

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Kharesh turned to look at Mauricio with an even gaze. "Last time we blindly trusted someone, they used us. Deceit seems to be currency in this city. Clearly you have decided, but let the Captain answer and I will judge the value of this 'opportunity' for myself." Turning back to the Captain, Kharesh listened to the man's clarifications. After a moment, he nodded in agreement with the others, saying "With your trust, you have my trust."

As the group discussed who to contact first, Kharesh was quiet for a moment, letting the others offer suggestions. He nodded in agreement to developing a plan, but other than that said nothing.

OOC - I think resting probably works, since we're all down on healing. Do we just roll a few medicine checks for everyone proficient?

Show

28. - Top - End - #298

"Isn't he a cutie, right?" Gurmok takes an immediate liking to the guard taking care of Zen. Having politely taken his leave from Captain al Hisan and Lieutenant Haviksoog, he feels relieved to be out of jail, and takes the time to thank the guard for taking such good care of his trusty companion.

He then confers with his comrades, and quickly concurs. "Yes, rest will be beneficial. I need time for my meditation and exercises, and food is a necessity for best health and strength - for animals as well", he hastes to add, noting Zen's hungry eye as the group passes a hotcake stall.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

The goblin guard seems equal grateful to Gurmok for having provided him a chance to play with such a majestic beast. Lieutenant Haviksoog reminds you to keep her updated on your mission, but encourages you to get some good rest first. Dalnu suggests finding Sofh, however, none of you actually know where she lives. With the sun close to setting, you doubt you could find out before dark.

You head to a nearby inn, and get a private room that can house all of you, including Zen, for 2 gold a night. A lot of efforts are made to patch wounds, Mauricio educating his companions on the basics.

The next day, with your wounds treated, you sell off many of the supplies you collected in the sewer. In Katapesh it is easy to find merchants willing to purchase the wares. Fortunately, Dalnu has assessed the worth of the jewels and jewelry, and thwarts the attempts to swindle you. After two hours of finding interested merchants and haggling with them, the items are gone in exchange for 49 gold, and 1 silver.

A few items are purchased as well, new armor for Mauricio, healers tools for Sadar, an everburning torch for Dalnu,and wraps for Kharesh. Then efforts to transfer the runes are enacted - Mauricio and Dalnu both work to improve the aim of Kharesh’s fists via the new hand wraps and Sadar’s falchion. Purchasing a few essential supplies to complete the transfer, both endeavors are successful, but consume much of the day. You stay in the same location for the night.

Spoiler: Accounting
    Show
    Coins from sewer: 5.85 gp
    Sales: 49.1 gp
    Purchases: 26.55 gp (3 armor, 3.5 transfer, 5 healers tools, 15 everburning torch, wraps 5 cp)
    Room and board: 4 gp total for the two nights

Total after: 24.4 gp remaining

The next morning, after breakfast, you head to the pesh den, the Hookah Lounge. The establishment is fairly large, two floors with likely around two dozen private rooms and a sizable common room. Five men can be seen sitting around a hookah in the common area, all seem barely awake.

The man who greets you appears considerably more alert. Kamil al Shiysha is a tall man well past middle age, a nearly bald cap sits over stringy white hair down to almost his shoulders. He is rugose and wears colorful robes. “Welcome to the Hookah Lounge! A private room?” His voice has an unexpectedly inviting dulcet quality to it.
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2022-10-02 at 05:30 PM.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

Sadar

After resting Sadar had run through his morning practices with the falchion, the magical runs enchanting it adding to the weight and the balance in a positive way as he swing it to the left and right easily flowing from stance to stance and strike to strike. With his new blade, armour talisman and bag full of bandages he is soon ready to join the others. Reaching them he nods and offers a low bow of respect. "Let us see what we can find in this Pesh den"

In the pesh den Sadar pauses and gazes around curiously, looking for any trouble or suspiciously heavily armed people there

OOC
    Perception (1d20+6)[7]