New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Nightmare in Katapesh IC

Spoiler: Not Kharesh
    Show
    The elf scoffs indignantly, “you were outnumbered - what 5-to-1? Yes, I thought they would capture you and bring you to me. I was planning to grant you the gift of the avatar, although that would have been a mistake as it is clear you are unworthy. If the avatar doesn’t make a decision first, I will have to entreat Nyarlathotep directly on what’s to be done with you.”

Spoiler: Mauricio
    Show
    He does not seem deceitful. More importantly, you realize he doesn’t seem terribly concerned. If anything, he is more annoyed than scared.
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2023-04-08 at 12:59 PM.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Nyarlathotep... An elder god. Nightmares are associated with him somehow? I hear his followers are somewhat saner than others who worship the elder gods. Although, listening to this one... I wonder how crazed one can get. Anyway, whenever they try to extend their influence in the world, it is to sow disaster", Gurmok says, frowning. He suggests to Mauricio: "Maybe we should ask questions to this man here instead. But, someplace where the elf can't hear us, don't you think?"
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2023-05-22 at 08:06 PM.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"And we still have that drug stuff to check out," Dalnu said, "all that talk about old gods is well and good, but that's not what we're here for, remember. So there probably is a secret spot here, where they have put their stash."
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

4. - Top - End - #454

...For once, the mad elf has a point. In his shoes, Mauricio would have expected the same thing, upon reflection. It is concerning how the elf is... well, not concerned at all, really.

"Sadar, would you please put the gag back on him? I have no patience for a sermon today." To the others, Mauricio nods his assent. "Let me perform a more thorough examination of the room and then we can relocate our other captive."
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Mauricio will Search the room for any hidden doors or alcoves.
    Mauricio Averni
    HP: 20/26
    AC: 17
    Class DC: 18
    Speed: 25
    Fort: +5
    Ref: +7
    Will: +8
    Perception: +8
    Feats: Forensic Acumen, That's Odd, Battle Medicine, Ward Medic

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

The discussion of how to separate them moved forward quickly alongside the search for secrets. However, nothing is found beyond what was already seen.
    Spoiler: From earlier
    Show
    A hurried glance through their possessions reveals four magical items: an alabaster pendant that looks like an archon on the elf’s robe, a small monkey pin affixed to Gregorix’s armor, a small silver bracelet in Gregorix’s left wrist, and his flail. The chemical the elf tried to get you to drink is magic, and all the vials of it are. There is also a medium size iron lockbox, although no key in sight. Gregorix has 13.63 gold in a pouch on his person mostly in silver. Additionally, there are alchemical supplies on the table against the far wall, it looks to be a rather complete lab to your inexpert eyes.

Then, as you prepare to move the prisoner, a loud crash can be heard. More of a dull thud really, but since it had been rather silent down here , you ascertain that it must have been loud.

Spoiler: Kharesh
    Show
    With a lot of exertion, the heavy wardrobe flips over the railing of the balcony and tumbles near 15 ft to the waiting ground below. A loud crash as the study piece of furniture cracks and splinters, leaving a pile of clothes amid the carnage. The creature’s tendrils begin to riffle through the garments.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Dalnu indicated which items were magical and was about to start the interrogation about the drugs, when she heard the thud.
    "What was that," she asked, "And where is Karesh? Maybe we best have a look. These two aren't going anywhere."

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

7. - Top - End - #457
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Kharesh Hammerfist, dwarven monk

Show
    His task completed, Kharesh closed the window and moved to the stairs to return back downstairs. Once outside, he moved to join the creature.
    "Did you find what you were looking for?"

OOC - Just advancing the scene.

Effects / Status / Conditions: Darkvision; Ancient Blooded Dwarf (+1 save vs magic); Cat Fall (falls are 10’ less)

Spoiler: Crunch& Status
    Show
    AC: 18 (20) HP 20/32 Initiative +6
    Saves: Fort +8 Ref +8 Will +8 Per +6 / Move 20’ (15')
    Abilities: Str 18 Dex 14 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 14 Cha 8 DC 18
    Skills: Acrobatics +6, Athletics +8, Warfare Lore +4, Religion +6, Stealth +6, Pahmet Lore +4
    Abilities: Call on Ancient Blood (prior to rolling a save vs magical effect, add +1 [circ]); Flurry of blows (make two strikes for 1 action [flourish]); Stunning blow (If attacking same target twice, DC 18 Fort save or stunned 1 round) Mountain stance (see below); Darkvision; Dwarven Weapon Familiarity; Cat Fall (treat falls as 10' shorter); Battle Medicine (Treat wounds in combat)
    Stance: Mountain (+4 AC, +2 vs Shove/Trip, +0 Max Dex, -5 ft move; Falling Stone are only Strikes useable in stance)
    Combat: Axe (+8 / 1d8S+4 / sweep); Clan Dagger (+8 / 1d4P+4 / agile, dwarf, parry, uncommon, versatile B); Unarmed w/wraps (+9 / 1d6B+4 / agile, finesse, nonlethal, unarmed); Falling Stone w/wraps (+9 / 1d8B+4 / forceful, nonlethal, unarmed)
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Kharesh comes down the stairs to see the creature sliding tendrils into garments, specifically rather fine tailored clothing that would be worn by a courtier or lord. Burgundy pantaloons, a vermilion silk shirt, powder blue doublet, and a floppy broad brimmed hat sporting a long peacock feather. Dozens of tendrils thrust through the bottoms of the pantaloons, five eyeball laden tendrils poke through each arm of the shirt, while about a dozen poke through the head hole, somehow resting the hat on a kink in their stalk.

Leaving the elf and the Chelaxian bound and gagged in the basement, the rest of the party emerges from below and heads to the door. The door to the courtyard stands open and sitting in front of it is a creature rather alien in design. The basics remind you of a sea urchin, or at least a perversion of one. It is a pallid gray roughly spherical orb coated in half meter spines, all dripping some milky substance. The spines and body are coated in a ropy gray material somewhere between tendrils and cobwebs that writhe around independent of the motion of the spines. Many of these tendrils seem to end in eyes that look disturbingly like humanoid eyeballs grafted onto the tendrils. A few longer tendrils sit upon the ground in a more coherent form, apparently supporting some of the creature's weight. Spines and body put the urchin at about five feet tall, but upon its top sits a bent, muscular stalk extending several meters. At the end of this muscled mix of fibrous matter and pallid flesh is a mouth containing dozens of uneven sharp teeth. The dozens of eyestalks swivel to face the doorway. Some of the eyestalks have maneuvered through a nobleman’s outfit to create a many eyeballed puppet.

Show
    Your allies emerge from the building not long after you ask the creature. You can hear it in your mind in clear Taldan, “Yes! I have wanted this outfit for a long time. Thank you, Kharesh.”

Spoiler: Gurmok
    Show
    You are overwhelmed by the majesty of the creature before you. Whatever perfection Irori teaches you to work toward, this divine being clearly encapsulates. You can hear it speaking to Kharesh in your mind in clear Taldan, “Yes! I have wanted this outfit for a long time. Thank you, Kharesh.”

Show
    Gurmok is charmed, and critically failed, so his attitude toward the creature is helpful.

Show
    In your mind, countless phonemes overlap with different intonations. Your mind naturally tries to latch onto those familiar - stray words from Taldan, Garundi, Halfling, Draconic, Daemonic, Infernal, also some stray words barely recognized from Kelish, Varisian, and Mwangi. You suspect you are trying to filter through more languages than can be found in Golarion. The voices seem to say different things entirely. The effect is just cacophony, an information overload while you try to understand, but it slips away before you can hold any complete idea. By the time the voices stop, you are left with a mild headache.

Spoiler: Dalnu
    Show
    In your mind, countless phonemes overlap with different intonations. Your mind naturally tries to latch onto those familiar - words from Taldan, Elven, and Draconic, also some stray words barely recognized from Kelish. Other languages some of which you’ve heard and others you’ve never heard before are there too. The voices seem to say different things entirely. In Taldan, the creature seems to be thanking Kharesh for… clothes? While in Elven, it seems to be encouraging a calm interaction. In Draconic it seems to be asking you to bring the gnoll up so it can eat it.

Sadar grunts and raises his hand to his temple, while Gex stares at it with a mix of awe and confusion.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"What the hell is this," Dalnu asks, wondering. As she hears voices, she thinks back: 'what or who are you and what are you doing here?'

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

let's see if we know what it is (can be rolled untrained): occultism: (1d20+1)[3]
    EDIT: I think not.
    Last edited by farothel; 2023-05-04 at 03:13 PM.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Gex stutters a bit, clearly terrified of the thing, “uh n- n- not sure… but I think this is another qlippoth. Like those things in the market. But more.”

Spoiler: Kharesh and Gurmok
    Show
    The friendly creature states in your mind in clear Taldan, “Yes, qlippoth is a label you accept… lacking though. As to group you with the rodent, maggots, fish, demons, and birds.”

Show
    Again your mind is blasted with a torrent of discordant language. The deluge comes so quickly that you fail to latch onto any ideas from the din before the voices end. By the time the voices stop, you are left with a splitting headache.

OOC slowed 1 for 2 rounds (ah right, already posted - since it’s a minor effect I just rolled oof)

Show
    Again your mind is blasted with a torrent of discordant language. The deluge comes so quickly that you fail to latch onto any ideas from the din before the voices end. The attempt to follow the words leaves you with a mild headache.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    Sadar - (1d20+5)[11] DC 15
    Dalnu - (1d20+6)[11] DC 15
    Gex - (1d20+6)[16] DC 15
    Mauricio - (1d20+8)[16] DC 27
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2023-05-04 at 11:38 PM.

11. - Top - End - #461

Gurmok's eyes are wide open, his mouth agape in open wonder. "Come on, Gex. A generalization like that, is, is, well... disrespectful, I would say."

Spoiler: Thoughts
    Show
    What shall I call you, O Great One?

Show
    What is Zen's reaction?

12. - Top - End - #462
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Kharesh nodded, commented, "It was an easy enough task." When the others came out, he tensed for a moment, wondering if he was going to need to intercede. Fortunately, it seemed the only less than friendly reactions were pained looks from Sadar and Mauricio, and frightened comments from Gex. After a few words, Kharesh considered for a moment, then spoke. "I apologize, but I never asked your name. I am Kharesh."

OOC - I don't think Kharesh has been speaking with his mind ... it never occured to him to 'think' at the creature, so his words are spoken aloud.

And welcome, everyone, to Kharesh's waking nightmare

Effects / Status / Conditions: Darkvision; Ancient Blooded Dwarf (+1 save vs magic); Cat Fall (falls are 10’ less)

Show
    Skills: Acrobatics +6, Athletics +8, Warfare Lore +4, Religion +6, Stealth +6, Pahmet Lore +4
    Abilities: Call on Ancient Blood (prior to rolling a save vs magical effect, add +1 [circ]); Flurry of blows (make two strikes for 1 action [flourish]); Stunning blow (If attacking same target twice, DC 18 Fort save or stunned 1 round) Mountain stance (see below); Darkvision; Dwarven Weapon Familiarity; Cat Fall (treat falls as 10' shorter); Battle Medicine (Treat wounds in combat)
    Stance: Mountain (+4 AC, +2 vs Shove/Trip, +0 Max Dex, -5 ft move; Falling Stone are only Strikes useable in stance)
    Combat: Axe (+8 / 1d8S+4 / sweep); Clan Dagger (+8 / 1d4P+4 / agile, dwarf, parry, uncommon, versatile B); Unarmed w/wraps (+9 / 1d6B+4 / agile, finesse, nonlethal, unarmed); Falling Stone w/wraps (+9 / 1d8B+4 / forceful, nonlethal, unarmed)

13. - Top - End - #463
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Dalnu didn't know what the thing was, but it was weird how some of her party members fawned over it. She did take a few steps back and looked at the others.
    "Any of you know what the crap this is," she asked, "and why do you... well, like it so much. Snap out of it."

14. - Top - End - #464
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Kharesh glanced at Dalnu with a raised eyebrow. "Gex and Gurmok addressed this, if bluntly. But our friend is magnificent, if strange to our eyes. Why are you being rude?"

OOC - The beauties of charm school :)

Show

15. - Top - End - #465
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I like my friends with less tentacles, thank you very much," Dalnu said, moving a bit further away, still in easy spell range (with her longer reach), but out of easy grab range, "Now, why don't we leave your friend here and get back to business. We're here to search for that new drug, remember. Best to get on with that and then you can spend time with your new friend."

16. - Top - End - #466

Whatever this thing is, it is clearly an affront to both nature and logic. Mauricio is so disoriented by the barrage of voices and languages in his head that his fingers rub in vain at his temple. "How do none of you hear that absolute din of voices? It's like this thing is speaking every language in Golarion all at once!" With a wince, Mauricio continues, "At any rate, I agree that this creature is a distraction at best and a cognitohazard at worst. We must relocate."
    Show

Mauricio Averni

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

The creature's many tendrils continue to shift and many eyes twist back and forth to follow as you speak. Finally, it erupts again.

Show
    The friendly creature's clear Taldan seems a bit pleased by your flattery and defense of it's character, “I have myriad names - Scry of Leng is one I like.”

Show
    The linguistic onslaught continues, the creature seems to introduce itself in countless ways, but all the concepts fall like grains of sand from your mind and you are left with the same headache and no information.

Show
    The words strike again and while you are pretty sure the creaute introduced itself, you find yourself unable to retain the information. The headache gets a bit worse.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    Sadar - (1d20+5)[20] DC 14
    Dalnu - (1d20+6)[7] DC 14 (edit: didn't expect a 1 - dalnu will be be slowed 1 for 1d4 rounds)
    Gex - (1d20+6)[26] DC 14
    Mauricio - (1d20+8)[15] DC 26 if needed (1d4)[1]

Gex mutters with a mix of comprehension and confusion, "Attendant of Dagon, Scry of Leng, Seeker of the Seals?"

Sadar adds with trepidation, "Avatar of... uh... Mind Killer?"

The tendrils of the creature seems to shudder slightly as the names are recited back to it. While one could argue that merely communicating is aggression, it doesn't seem to be doing anything else particularly hostile at the moment. Although there are a lot of tendrils without eyes attached that occasionally whip about, the teeth on the end of the long stalk could quickly inflict pain, and the many urchin-like spines are slowly oozing a milky fluid.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Kharesh nodded his head towards the being. "Well met, Scry of Leng. I'm sure our paths will cross again, but my companions are correct - we have business to complete. Unless you know where we might find the drug the lady speaks of? If not, luck in your travels."

OOC - Nothing says we can't take care of business ... and Kharesh has given his word to assist.

Show

19. - Top - End - #469

Gurmok bows deeply to the magnificent creature. "It is an honor to meet you, Scry of Leng. But my companions here are correct, we do have a mission to accomplish. If we may be excused, we shall take our leave. It is my sincere hope that we meet again, so I can contemplate your splendor."

Spoiler
    Show
    Gumrok is ready to leave... If the Scry of Leng lets him.

20. - Top - End - #470

Mauricio just starts walking. He has to get away from the voices in his head. He can't even hear himself think!
    Show

Mauricio Averni

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

The creature's many eyes continue to follow the discussion. As Mauricio makes his strategic withdrawal, the voice(s) boom again.

Show
    The creature replies, “this drug - what does it do?”

Show
    More and more gibberish- you think it may be getting less offensive, but it is hard to decide.

Show
    The creature seems to be inquiring about the nature of the drug in Taldan, it also seems to be expressing something similar in elven. In draconic, though it is demanding you bring the gnoll’s corpse up.

Seeing no need for deception, Gex replies warily, "Euphoria and disconnection, then eventually insanity. Aggressive attacks."

Show
    The creature replies, “ah, the alchemist refines my ichor. That is the ‘drug’ you speak of.”

Show
    You hear a longer barrage, then finally, after putting the wall of the building well between you - blessed silence.

Show
    The creature says something about the blessed ones who’ve seen Leng in elven, an alchemist and his own ichor in Taldan, and the unworthy masses having visions too close to the ‘Court’ in draconic.
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2023-05-30 at 12:48 AM.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Kharesh blinked for a moment, somewhat nonplussed. Frowning, he nodded slowly as he comprehension dawned on him. "Ah, so the elf was using your essence for his own foul purposes. Well, it seems we have solved the mystery. I'm sure Scry of Leng will no longer let his being be used for evil and the elf has been dealt with. We should return to the city."

OOC - Justification and rationalization - the bastion of the insane and charmed!

Show

23. - Top - End - #473
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Dalnu was about to move away. She had enough of all the voices and wanted to get out. Then Kharesh came with a theory.
    "Wait, What," she said, turning towards him, "how is that possible?"
    Not only did she want a verification of those facts if they were true, but she was also interested in an academic sense on how a creature's essence could be used as a drug.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Kharesh shrugged his shoulders, his frown returning. "You heard him. The alchemist was refining his ichor. I guess I jumped to the conclusion the elf was the alchemist. How it happened, I have no idea. I punch or kick things ... not create potions or drugs."

OOC -

Show

25. - Top - End - #475

Frowning, Gurmok turns to Kharesh. "The elf was no alchemist. He used divine power, certainly granted to him by his deity, the elder one, Nyarlathotep. But we did find a lot of alchemical equipment downstairs. In fact, the elf talked about an alchemist. He said the actual ingredient was the blessing of the avatar... Surely, he was speaking of the right honorable, Scry of Leng."

He looks up to the gorgeous creature. "I am so sorry, Scry of Leng, that your ichor has been so misused, instead of being rightly admired. Rest assured that the guilty will receive their deserved punishment."

Spoiler
    Show
    I had to read a couple of pages back to connect these pieces of information. That's the drawback of PbP, I had pretty much forgotten the chat with the elf before the fight.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"You might want to consider heading back home," Dalnu said to the critter, "if there's one that takes advantage of you, there's probably more and for your own safety it might be better if you moved. Let's get back down and ask a few more pointed questions to those guys, shall we."
    She wouldn't go alone, but if some others would follow, she would head back into the basement for a few extra questions to find everybody who was involved in this stuff.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Kharesh nodded grudgingly at Gurmok, clearly having misunderstood the exchange ... or perhaps he had not paid close enough attention. Either way, Dalnu's suggestion still had merit, and he turned to follow her after giving Scry a polite nod.

OOC - yeah, playing this game is like stepping into Narnia ... months have passed by in what seems to be only moments in game ;)

Show

28. - Top - End - #478
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Show
    The creature echoes in your mind, “the elf is too useful. I need him here. Though I don’t care about the alchemist and you may take the human.”

Show
    Once again discordant streams of voice boom in your head, you thought you had a thread, but it slips from your mind like a dream at waking.

Sadar says slowly, hand on the hilt of his blade, tense, ”he wants us to bring him the gnoll.” The man seems on edge.
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2023-06-14 at 09:54 PM.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Let's first get the information we need and then we can see," Dalnu said to Sadar. She started to feel that some of the party were quite taken with this creature and that it would take some wrangling to remove them from it. So she would move slowly, in the elven way, first getting them out of the mental influence. She also hoped that such will remove the voices and the headache she had.

She would head back into the basement.
    "We're back," she said to the guys still bound there. Her voice is deceptively calm, but those who knew her well would be careful at this point, as for those it was clear she was near boiling point.
    "we've just had a little chat with your ichor supplier. And now it's your time to start talking. Like how did you get that critter over here and what exactly are you doing with its ichor? And why do you create a drug that basically kills your customers?"

Spoiler: OOC intimidation roll
    Show

(1d20+8)[17]

30. - Top - End - #480
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Kharesh nodded in acknowledgment, then followed the others back to the basement. He glanced around at the assembled captives, then moved to stand near the elf. He waited for Dalnu to try and get some answers before dealing with any other issues.

OOC - letting the intimidation play out first.

Show