New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 173233343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1509

Thread: Auromar, IC 2

1. - Top - End - #1231
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Re: Auromar, IC 2

The man in the cell stands up slowly and walks to the bars, a questioning frown on his face.

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Troll in the Playground

The man gives Reid an odd smile. "We settled here because the town was still here, mostly. As for prosper, not quite so much. You've seen the land. It doesn't support much of anything yet, so the couple of priests that are with us spend a lot of time conjuring water for the land and food for us. We don't really have manpower to send someone to Eras just to give an all clear. Since you are a priest, do you know the prayer for heaven's bounty? If you can summon at least meals for yourselves and maybe the rest of the inn, there won't be any charge for your stay."

The man's own accent is thick at points, causing the occasional word to almost seem slurred.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff for holding back something: (1d20+7)[18]

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive (1d20+13)[30]

Sorry to split the conversation - If Lochar's okay to have two timelines' conversations going on simultaneously, I'm happy to bring Greymist in ASAP.

Reid smiles.

I can do more than feed ourselves while we are here. Please, allow me to share some of Pelor's bounty with you as well - we should have more than enough. Certainly enough to feed several people for a day.

I can also send word back to Eras to let the offices know that you are safe here at...what do you call this place? And if they are sending more settlers on to you...oh, the forest is clearing of The One's taint, and travel will be at least a little safer! Anyway, are there specific supplies that you are lacking here?

Also, sir, we are here, as most are, to heal this broken continent, and see it peopled once more. I can't help thinking that there is a part of your community's story that has not yet been shared.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-03-19 at 09:58 AM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    No, I don't mind running dual conversations. If need be, I'll set up a second thread, but I don't think that'll be a problem at the moment.

The innkeep's face lights up at Reid's mention of helping with the food, but then darkens somewhat at the mention of unshared stories. "I'll thank ya for the offer to help feed us all, but some things I won't mention. Or can't. Or shouldn't. Something like that."

The innkeep seems to be having an internal arguement with himself over something.

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

The priest moves closer to the innkeeper - not threateningly, but to open himself.

Sir, my friends and I have come a long way to help. My name is Reid den Birchcliff. I am a priest of Pelor, of the Radiant Servant order, and although my calling is often martial, I have been blessed and ordained. If you tell me something in confidence, it will remain so. More importantly, if there is something troubling you - troubling the people here in this village - there may be some way that we can help.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy to encourage the innkeeper to open up. (1d20+10)[15]
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Troll in the Playground

The innkeep looks startled at Reid's mention of the Radiant Servants. "You're one of the truly light blessed?" He looks up at the ceiling and sighs. "Not today, not this late. If we are both here at daybreak, I will give confession to you. Visit the temple today, pray for wandering souls. I won't speak of anything else until the morn."

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Smiling wryly, Reid nods.

An excellent suggestion, sir. I will rise at dawn to pray, and perhaps we may pray together. After, I will take what confession you choose to offer.

I thank you again for the hospitality of your inn. When I return, I will provide what small part of Pelor's bounty is open to my poor and weak spirit.

Reid hastens on to join his companions at the prison fortified building. Seeing Hist's interest and the frowning face at the window, Reid moves a bit closer to the man, still leaving some distance between himself and the windows.

And good morrow to you, sir. You too are part of this bold and industrious settlement?

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys Senneker

Once more, Grazys leans in toward Reid as they walk to rejoin the others, though hushed, he doesn't use a whisper. "What'd he mean 'if we're both here at daybreak?' A little off, ya ask me. Shoulda bound Dantallion today, get inta their brains," the binder adds with a wink.
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

Hist smiles at the frowning man.

Call it cynicism, but I'm worried. Nothing this idylic exists. Certianly not in the midst of a land like this.

I'm happy I do not need weapons to fight.

His face gives no hint of his mind however, as he greets the newly risen man

Good morning. Might I ask you what this place is? I've just arrived... Oh, hello Reid. Didn't hear you there.

He is a little startled as Reid comes up behind him, but makes no further reaction.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

In Auromar, Histantos Illist, Aasimar Warlock.

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

The mans face appears as an open book when you speak, the frown disappears instantly replaced with a look which could be hope.

"You're new here?" there's no trace in his voice of the strange accent that other people in this village have.

"I can't tell you much. Two weeks ago - shortly after I arrived - I was asked to spend the night in a cell during the full moon to prove I wasn't a were creature. Ever since then I've been kept locked up here with no explanation"

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys Senneker

Butting in, Grazys asks amiably, "I take it by yer statement that yer not a were-creature?" A broad grin splits the man's face as he inquires of the prisoner, trying to put the man at ease given his confinement. "Oh, an' who asked ya ta do it? I'd like ta avoid that one."

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

Paranoia proves itself again. Perhaps at any rate. No matter. This doesn't sound like a convict's story.

Hist's voice becomes hushed as he starts looking arround, trying to see if anyone was looking at them, before turning back to the convict

Did anything else happen that might cause them to lock you up? Did you anger anyone?

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+5)[8]Spot check, looking for anyone looking interested in their conversation and (1d20+3)[9]SM check on Greymist
    Last edited by Moral Wiz; 2008-03-19 at 02:12 PM.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Troll in the Playground

No one that you can notice seems to be taking any particular interest in your conversation. There's not many people on this street either, but there is the occasional one or two people that pass by.

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

"Unless these people have strange customs I don't believe I did anything to offend them" looking over at the new comer then down at his arm he adds "I don't think I'm were, I have been having very strange dreams though"

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

Str.... No. That doesn't fit... Does it?

Hmm... Can you tell me just what those dreams were? Probably irrelevant, but...

He shrugs.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dothen

Dothen just stands back quietly contemplating the area and the cell. I'm not much liking it here but I think we may need to stay a day ot two. It also bothers me that they caged some one over nuthin. He has a very thoughtful look on his face.

Spoiler
    Show

Dothen has his guild coin in hand in the city and watches for other guildies, other reactions.

How easy does Dothen think it would be to spring this guy?
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Troll in the Playground

Dothen:
    Spoiler
    Show
    No guildies that you see.

The building look to have stone walls and roof, and is basically one big block, hollowed out. You don't see any real seams or mortar lines. The bars running through the window are probably two inches thick, with an inch distance between them. Looking closer, you can't tell how deep into the stone the bars go.

There is one door into the building on the other side, that doesn't have any particular door handle or such. The door does look like the ones that let you into the town though, so there is probably some sort of minor magic that opens the doors.

Looking through the window into the other person's cell, it is a 10 x 10 room, with a door on the opposite side made out of the same type of bars that the window is.

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

Hist looked at Dothen as the Tiefling finished speking. With a slight smile, he whispered in his ear.

Spoiler
    Show
    You know, I could port into the room, and cut through the bars. Between the healer's dagger, and my own magic, I could do it pretty quick, and quite subtly.

Of course, we've only this guy's word for it that he's really innocent, and doing this'll make the settlers a bit annoyed, but.... well, call it paranoia, but I don't fully trust this place. Something seems... oh, I don't know. But there is no explanation for that weird accent; not to mention the peace bonding. I mean, if they've been here for long, they've been under risk of attack from monsters made by the curse. Shouldn't that mean that everyone would need a weapon ready to use?
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

The man steps back from the bars and closes his eyes as a small shudder passes through him. Away from the bars yet in the light you can see he stands arounds 6 feet tall and has a lithe form"

The little boy...it was too real to be a dream...

"All I can say is if you can help it, don't go to sleep while you're here, and if you do fall asleep do not...leave...your body, don't let them cut the thread."

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys Senneker

The binder's brow furrows and he glares at the walls of the man's prison. "I knew somethin' was up with this place. Whot d'ya mean, don't leave yer body an' don't let 'em cut the thread? Who's in charge here?" Grazys asks.

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

Ok. That tears it. Now I'm suspicious of this place. If you'll excuse me, gentlemen? I'll be back shortly.

With that, Hist takes to the air, and gives this settlement a proper survey, looking everywhere for any trace of arcana.

Spoiler
    Show
    Surveying everywhere with Detect Magic
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Kjapp

The man steps forward and cranes his neck trying to look up into the sky at the flying one.

Well I have nothing to lose

"I could describe the man who locked me up if you like, by the way my name is Kjapp"

Kjapp puts a hand through the bars.

"About the thread, you'd have to experience it to understand"

Spoiler
    Show
    Do I know the name of the person who locked me up, or a description?
    Last edited by Greymist; 2008-03-19 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Spelling and formatting

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Troll in the Playground

Hist:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The settlement is around 4 square miles in size. Detect magic is a 60' cone. You fly at 60' a round, or 120' for a double move. How long do you think it will take you to cover 446054400 feet? My rough calculations put that at about 6200 hours to do a full inch by inch cover. What are you looking for specifically?

Kjapp:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The man was slightly shorter than you, blond hair, blue eyes. Human. Relatively strong looking, scarred left arm. Claimed to be the settlement's chief law enforcer.

24. - Top - End - #1254

Dothen

Dothen stands back and walks around the building some. He looks around the area for likely watch posts and look outs. As he moves around his hands are busy, carefully concealed to look like he's strolling with his hands behind his back. As he walks around he says to Kjapp So, Kjapp, what do you do normally?

Spoiler
    Show

Looking for elevated places to observe the town from.

Carefully 'fixing' the peacebonds on my silvered dagger so that a sharp pull will allow it to come out of it sheathe, with out making it look faulty.
    Sleight of hand (1d20+10)[19]
    Use Rope (1d20+10)[27]

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Kjapp chuckles "You mean when not locked up on an unexplored continent?"

"I usually find work as a tracker or guide, I had come over here mostly to explore untouched roads"

He moves a hand up to his neck as if to hold onto an amulet before realising he doesn't have one.

"A side benefit of course is that I'll have an edge finding work when travel to this continent opens up more."

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I was thinking of checking through all main streets to start with. Double move action, 30 ft above the ground, in the center of the street, looking from side to side. If nothing reveals itself, check the unbuilt on fields. Looking for an aura of any kind.
    Last edited by Moral Wiz; 2008-03-20 at 01:33 AM.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

27. - Top - End - #1257

Dothen

Well, you may have to spend a day or two in here but I think we may want to have you on your way. This place gives me the willies. To Reid and the others he says I'll be back later. I want to look around some.

Dothen begins to wander off toward the inn again. He looks into the shops and stalls genial and friendly looking out for odds and ends. Anything that may be useful or may seems out of place.

Spoiler
    Show

Specifically looking for a Restful Crystal from MIC (500g) for Reid and just familiarizing myself with the area around town. I want to pick up on any rumors if possible and hints of the wierdness this place displays. Keep an eye out for magic items and guild markings.

Gather Info (1d20-2)[9]
    Spot (1d20+10)[27]
    Listen (1d20+10)[28]

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive (1d20+13)[26] on Kjapp, to sense the veracity of his story.

Reid shrugs at Grazys as Hist takes to the air, and Dothen slips away. He turns back to the window.

My apologies, Kjapp. My name is Reid, and this is Grazys. The one who, ah, flew off is Hist, and our fourth is Dothen. I would be pleased to stand you a good meal when you are released, or before...if they don't feed you well.

And, ah, tell me. How did you come to this place? Did you pass through the forest. Did you too come through the great forest?

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Kjapp

Kjapp inclines his head to Reid, "Thank you for the offer, and your names. My jailers have been feeding me, if nothing more than gruel."

"I came here alone and on foot, I had heard bad rumours before I left so I thought to avoid the forest."
    Last edited by Greymist; 2008-03-20 at 07:35 AM.

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Troll in the Playground

Dothen:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You'll manage to mess with the peacebond well enough that it looks working while it's not. As for elevated lookout points, the tops of any roofs would work. The streets are wide and the buildings have yards between them. You can't spot any particular watchers.

Hist:
    Spoiler
    Show

There are auras all over the town. Mostly permanent cantrips on some of the buildings, command activated open/close. There are a few other, but everything seems benign.