Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1509

Thread: Auromar, IC 2

1. - Top - End - #1291
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Auromar, IC 2

Reid

The priest seems deeply puzzled by the words, but - true to his own vow, struggles to retain an open mind and a closed mouth. None the less, he looks for any sign of coercion or deception in the story of either of the figures who seem to be sharing a body.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive (1d20+13)[25]
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-03-22 at 02:07 AM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

Hist listens in silence to the priest's tale, his face giving little away (although he does raise an eyebrow at the holy man's opening remarks. Finally, after the tale is done, he raises his voice

Father, if I may....

He seems to be relaxed at the priest's tale, even though he starts to fidget ever so slightly.

We have already been investigating Auromar. One... source told us that the worship of... a certain deity was widespread. I think you know the one I mean. And yet he has no temple in this town. You'll forgive a questioning mind, and it is a minor question, but why is that?
    Last edited by Moral Wiz; 2008-03-22 at 02:32 AM.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

In Auromar, Histantos Illist, Aasimar Warlock.

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    As far as any of you can tell, he's telling the truth.

"Sleeping draws the spirits to you, and your own will power is turned against you to raise you from your body."

The priest chuckles ruefully. "It's actually odd. The test of the Raidente was something similar. While the priest would sleep, his spirit would rise and then go to test. They would return with Pelor's light and be one of the Radiant Servants.

He then looks at Hist. "Pelor's worship was not as strong then, Histantos. This used to be his temple, before it was converted over. All trappings in here were thrown out and destroyed, and we changed the symbols on the building itself to Pelor's sun."

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

Hmm....

After you returned? You'll forgive my asking, but what then happened to the spirits of it's former priests? I... wouldn't think they'd be best pleased at this.

And if the curse is here....
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Troll in the Playground

"They walked out of the town as the curse fell, laughing at us. I would assume they passed away naturally."

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

The warlock nods at the priest's words.

Sounds like them. Somethings don't change

He sighs, and is silent for a moment before continuing.

How many of the settlers are fully possessed? Do you have any idea?
    Last edited by Moral Wiz; 2008-03-22 at 07:36 AM.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Troll in the Playground

"Fully possessed, as in the original soul was driven out? I would assume the guard, who number thirty. More, depending on the number of unsavory people in the town when the curse was laid over us. But the general town folk I would pray were not evil enough to drive off their fellow man just to feel life again."

By now, the two other priests who have been praying are done. They stand and bow first to the head priest, and then to Reid, before taking a small amount of food for themselves before retreating through a side door.

The man speaks up again. "And I do think, that any more questions may have to wait. The townsfolk will be coming shortly to collect their daily supplies of food. It is, after all, nearly supper time."

Indeed, it is only about an hour before dark now.

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

Indeed. Please forgive my questions father, but.... well, this is rather unusual.

With that, Hist walked out from the temple; sitting down on the ground outside, waiting for the others
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Reid nods and rises.

Thank you, gracious Father, for the benison of your time and the trust implicit in your candour. I have already promised what small measure I can provide in meals to our gracious host for this evening, father, or I would join you. Regardless, I would like to join you again, perhaps this evening, for further conversation. Do you have time for one further question? Were there any of the explorers who resisted the sharing, and what happened to them?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Troll in the Playground

The priest nods to Reid. "Most likely, any who resisted sharing were revisited by those would take their place instead of sharing it. Unfortunately, I do not know which would be which."

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dothen

Dothen walks outside with Hist after giving the priests a nod. He walks up behind him quietly and stands there for a moment before speaking. I think we need to spring that Kjapp guy. This town and whatever is going on here gives me the willies. I don't think I'll be sleeping within the walls tonight. I'd rather fight yeth hounds all night long then sleep in this city. he flips a small silver clasp with little gemstons shaped like stars in his hand for a moment. I got Reid a present so he can sleep in something other then his nghtshirt. An old friend of mine had one, kept him alive a few times when we got hit at night. Dothen looks around a moment watching the town and garden.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

Hist smiles at his friend's aproach, and turns to him.

I think you're right. And I think we better do it quickly, before they decide to put us in there with him. We could probably bust out, but then they'd be looking for us.

And...

He makes a few gestures, and vanishes. Just for a moment though, he reappears rather quickly, smiling.

I have been working on this little trick. I think I've got it pat now. Learn from your foes after all.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

13. - Top - End - #1303

Dothen

Dothen grins at Hist's demonstration. I've finally figured out Shadow's little fade away trick. He says as he steps into the shadow of the building, fading from sight. He seems to completely reappear as he steps into the light. I also found out a few other bits but I'll save those for when we all are here. I wonder how many spirits all told were cursed and how many have found a body to take over.

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

Hist grins at his disappearing friend

Between the two of us, we can probably get just about anywhere.

He takes a look out at the settlement.

This place is much larger than the population thus far. I'm guessing that some buildings were destroyed and that there are still a few spirits around.

By they way, how many people do you think are 'fully' possessed? The father back there was being optimistic, but... well, there was a temple of Pygas here.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

15. - Top - End - #1305

Dothen

Honestly i couldn't even guess how many 'spirits' there are. We could probably find out if we can find the records office in town.

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

No need for that.

Assume that every one here is possessed.They all speak with the accent, and thus probably are. The only real question.... is how many of them did so peacefully.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

17. - Top - End - #1307

Dothen

Well, a few hundred maybe? At most a town has one in ten as guard force and we know that there were 30 guards. Maybe more like 500. I really can't guess at how many are here that went peaceably.
    Last edited by Greyen; 2008-03-22 at 03:57 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

Hist smiles at his friend

Yes... that sounds about right. Add to the fact that we can assume about a fifty fifty split between the forceful and the peaceful....

Hist sighs

So, we can assume about half of the settlement will try to kill us if we don't accept possession willfully. Possibly more.

He turns to Dothen, his face far from shining with optimism.

We could end up having to kill innocents if this isn't resolved quickly. I don't like the sound of that.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Waiting for Grazys to join him, Reid joins the other two chatting outside the temple.

His brow is furrowed. He speaks softly and urgently.

Never let me doubt the variety of solutions that life will find in order to thrive. There is the potential for such blessed collegiality of spirit and flesh here, but a few bad apples threaten everything.

Clearly, it seems that a few of the guards have imprisoned that Kajapp. Er. Kjapp. That fellow from the jail. And that they'll continue to attempt to take him over. Pelor's teachings on this subject are very clear, and frankly it surprises me that such a devout man as that priest hasn't made it clear to the townspeople. Forcibly taking over a body would be akin to murder, which is what he faces. We must try to do something, tonight if possible.

He shrugs.

I...have no head for such indirect and winding paths, but all three of you have a certain, ah, facility for such things. Any ideas how we can save that poor man without bringing the wrath of a whole community down upon us?

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

Unless we can get him outside the walls, escape means more or less nothing. And the gates are all manned by the guard

Hist is silent for a moment, thinking

We still need to get him away; as is they have him as a hostage if nothing else. With the Healer's dagger, I can break the bars from inside the prison. If the guards don't monitor the prisoners constantly, that should be enough to get him loose, with no tie to us. However to remain at liberty, we'll need to disguise him

Hist's eyes become a little misty for a moment, as his mind dwells on somthing else

But we also need to break the curse. I'd bet good money it's that which is holding the ghosts to this place. Too much of a coincidence that it is here, along with the ghosts

Before destroying it though, I'll need to be there. Otherwise....
    Last edited by Moral Wiz; 2008-03-22 at 04:31 PM.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

21. - Top - End - #1311

Dothen

One thing at a time my friends. First we free Kjapp. Then the curse.

I think we need to talk to Kjapp before we do anything. We will need his help and willingness to spring him, if he doesn't want help then there is no use in doing anything.

He'll want his stuff, I think that I can get his stuff pretty easily. lets walk and talk.
    Dothen begins a slow walk away from the temple toward the center of town.

22. - Top - End - #1312
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

Indeed, you are quite right. My apologies, I'm just...

he breaks off part way through his sentence, lost in thought, before following his friend to the center of town.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

23. - Top - End - #1313

Dothen

Dothen fiddles with something in his hands as he walks and turns handing it to Reid. I gotcha a present, oh shining boy! Its a Restful Crystal. Attach it to your plate armor and it will make it seem like the finest inn's worst bed. Not great but sleepable. That way you don't have to fight yeth Hounds in your night shirt. Its a small silver clasp set with tiny gems like stars.

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Strolling with the others, Reid looks around at the community with a new light. Suddenly, there are eyes everywhere.

Reid takes Dothen's gift with initial silence.

This is...so thoughtful, friend. Thank you! I will wear it thankfully - once we are outside again, I suppose.

He quickly tucks the crystal away in his pack for the moment. His voice drops to a murmur.

Perhaps we can free Kjapp, but create a, what is it called, an alibi for ourselves. If we go back to the hotel after speaking with Kjapp, and retire upstairs, and then we waited until dark, Hist could fly off in the dark. He frees Kjapp, carries him way up and far outside the walls, then off to a rendezvous point where we meet him in late morning. Then Hist slips back in the inn window well before any of the guards come looking for him.

He waves his thoughts off with a shake of his head.

What am I saying? I said I have no head for this. Even at night, you'd be sure to be spotted.

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

Good enough for me. Thank you Reid

Hist beamed. As he spoke, he seemed to fade from sight, just for a moment.

I learn my lessons. No worries as to the guard seeing me. I can break Kjapp out, but... well, I'm not strong enough to carry him anywhere. We might need to hide him if we break him out. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Moral Wiz; 2008-03-22 at 05:38 PM.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Reid nods, clearly impressed.

That's...remarkable, Hist. And as for not being able to carry him...well, there's the fly. It won't exactly be inobtrusive, but if you do it at night, and he flies up quickly, it'd be difficult for anyone on the ground to see where he goes.

Now, if there are disembodied spirits that can be more actively involved, that's something else. But if those spirits were able to directly affect the world, surely they'd already be doing it.

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

The warlock is slightly touched by Reid's action of lending him the figurine. He smiles at his friend

Thank you Reid. I'll be back by dawn with it, assuming he's fine with the idea of a quick escape.

And as to that... well, let's ask him ourselves

He finishes as the prison comes into sight.

Probably best if we don't all go there. Getting the guard suspicious might not be wise. If you'll excuse me....

With that, and a gesture, he vanishes.

Shortly after that, a voice can be heard just by Kjapp's cell

Hello friend. How do you feel about the prospect of taking a nice long holiday from that little cell?
    Last edited by Moral Wiz; 2008-03-22 at 06:01 PM.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Finding Hist abruptly vanished, Reid abruptly alters course.

Amidst all of this excitement, I forgot something I was eager to do when we next came to a town. With a few rough diamonds, I can focus the energies of life back into a recently deceased person. With their accord, of course...none of that necromantic business. Dothen, I don't suppose you'd help me shop for diamonds?

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Kjapp

Kjapp grins in Hist's general direction

Hist right? I guess flying wasn't your only trick.

Well if the holiday lasts as long as I live that would be great. I don't mean to trouble you but do you think you'd also be able to collect my gear back from the settlement's chief law enforcer?
    Last edited by Greymist; 2008-03-22 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Updating before anyone has replied

30. - Top - End - #1320

Dothen

Dothen walks next to Reid, talking low but not obviously whispering He's not the only one who can dissappear. I think I'll find out where the lawman in this area resides and get Kjapp's stuff, tonight. The old fashioned way. For now lets go make a few purchases thanks to our fallen friend Freeman. He had quite a stash and I think that those funds might best benefit the group for necessary items. You think you can talk a scroll of 'bring back to life' out of the other pelorites if we jingle some coins their way?