New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 722232425262728293031323334 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Serpent's Skull: City of Seven Spears [IC]

Yes. Observing the Simians.
    Can I have a Mountain Dew? Where are the Cheetos?

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

2. - Top - End - #932
    Colossus in the Playground

Amivor asks, "With Fronaldo no longer around, how will you adjust your scouting/ sleep arrangement?"
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"I think we'll have to cut it down to two teams with Xhan acting as a sort of relief person. Unless you have someone you think might be a suitable substitute?" replies Book.

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

4. - Top - End - #934
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

"I definitely should have studied more spells to set up better resting conditions, so I will do my best as the relief team."
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.

5. - Top - End - #935

Quote Originally Posted by lostsole31 View Post
    Aron's recommendation is to have the following two teams. The forward observer (FO) is the member who gets "danger close" and the rear observer (RO) is quite a distance away under cover of foliage to observe broader area in case the FO - who tends to be more myopic - might be put into danger.

Aron recommends the following teams, to take 8 hour watches apiece:
    • Team One (0600-1400): Book (FO) and Aron (RO) (w/ Veress).
    • Team Two (1400-2200): Sersheelda (FO) and Gelik (RO).
    • Team Three (2200-0600): Fronaldo (FO) and Xhanfaerd (RO).

Meanwhile, the main party is at least several hundred yards in deep cover or even in an abandoned building.
    So, the adjustment for this would be ...

• Team One (0600-1800): Book (FO) and Aron (RO) (w/ Veress).
    • Team Two (1800-0600): Sersheelda (FO) and Gelik (RO).

And Xhanfaerd would be the floater. Does this seem right?
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #936
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Book agrees and would like to get back to it asap.

7. - Top - End - #937

Book and Aron take up surveillance with Sersheelda and Gelik chilling out and sleeping, with Xhanfaerd watching over them.

Their shift goes by uneventfully, and the watch changes hands. At this point, it seems that Xhanfaerd's role is set - to watch over camp and to watch over sleepers who in turn watch over him.

Fireday, 3 Pharast 4711 AR

That early morning, Sersheelda and Gelik return, sharing movements with Book and Aron as they did. One thing they add is that they had to kill and hide the bodies of two very curious boggards who were sniffing around - likely looking for food while staying out of the main byways (such as overseen by their current recon subjects).
    Show

8. - Top - End - #938
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

During his watches, Xhanfaerd takes notes about the simians' culture and habits.
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.

9. - Top - End - #939
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Book suggests that they do one more day of surveillance and then begin to plan their next move.

10. - Top - End - #940

Starday, 4 Pharast 4711 AR

Mind you, the entire day is taken up with more surveillance.

What you learn is that there are probably some dozen or more of the simian flyers, maybe more since you don't get too close to try and learn to tell them apart. That said, there is likely no more than a half dozen at any time actually in the building while others are out ostensibly hunting and the like.

That evening, do you make any plans? You may not "act" other than RP discussion, as it took you all day and into the mid-evening, and at some point, everyone's sleep cycle will need to be readjusted to bring you back to parity.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #941
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Checking his notes, Xhanfaerd tries to provide a basis to work with.

"So, are they smart enough for negociation ? Or will we have to get rid of them violently ? I don't think I have seen them commit any atrocity, so for me if we could simply discuss with them and be sure they don't try to hinder our advances... which, given our relative numbers, I'd say they are unlikely to try."

12. - Top - End - #942
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"Negotiation is always an option. I'm open to trying to communicate our intentions if we are in agreement that is a good idea..." Book replies.

13. - Top - End - #943

"Of course, I am happy to lead negotiations," says Aron, "but as before with the boggard, I only have comprehend languages. So, if they even deign to speak with us, I know what is being said, but cannot be understood in turn."

"And I, of course, will assist you," offers Gelik. "But as with Aron, I have the same spell and no means of actually being understood. Yet, it would be a real coup if we could make diplomatic inroads instead of stab-stab everything."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2024-03-12 at 03:15 AM.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #944
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"I'm naturally good at negotiations but aside from using my archaeological skills like one of my co-workers, Daniel Jackson... Who's just brilliant at deciphering languages... I don't know how much help I'll be able to be." replies Book.

15. - Top - End - #945

Aron nods and says, "Gelik is better at a lead on negotiations himself, so it makes sense, and you are a little better at understanding motivations. Not as good as Xhanfaerd, but if we go in full-bore, we're likely to be threatening and overtures for peace would be pointless. So, Book will go in with me, and we maintain the collective through Xhanfaerd."
    Show

16. - Top - End - #946
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

"Do we have something we could use as a gift for first contact ? I'm sure simple moves like pushing food toward them would likely be interpreted as a friendly gesture, unless their culture is grounded on pure domination, in which case they will take it as tribute and submission. But in that case, well, we can prove them how wrong they are."

17. - Top - End - #947

"We have the three mithral spearheads," offers Gelik. "They're warriors, so they might appreciate that, and spear hafts aren't hard for simple weapons when not near a quality smith. Lightweight and harder than steel, and they'd be fool to ignore it."
    Show

18. - Top - End - #948
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"Excellent suggestion, Gelik. Let's make that happen." Book suggests.

19. - Top - End - #949

So, just to make sure we are clear, Aron and Book (with the mithral spearheads will enter from the western side of the building while the rest of the party is to the south.

What weapons does Book openly wear, and does he leave anything behind with everyone else.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #950
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Book wears his normal kit. Showing weakness, it seems to have been implied, would be seen as just as bad as coming in too strong.

21. - Top - End - #951

Aron and Book make their way around while the others hang back. The hooting and bestial hollering stops as they see the two approaching.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #952
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Book approaches slowly with his hands holding the spearhead out in front of him in his palms. He waits to be acknowledged.

23. - Top - End - #953

The simians perched above take aim with their bows, hooting threateningly, but don't yet shoot.

Aron lets you take the lead (because it is better to be a PC than NPC), what do you say or do?
    Show

24. - Top - End - #954
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Book will slowly step forward a pace and then kneel down and place the spearhead on the ground and back away while gesturing Aron to do the same.

25. - Top - End - #955

This low, single-story building is almost completely overgrown by thick vines and surrounded by a forest of sharp stakes on which have been impaled numerous small simian skulls. Full skeletons, held together by strips of flesh and sinew, hang from stakes higher on the building’s walls.

Aron nervously looks at the "decor" before setting down the other two mithral spearheads before stepping back.

From what reconnoitering has noticed, these are 6-foot-tall creatures with long and powerful claws on their oversized hands, leathery greenish-brown skin covered by splotches of brown, and wide mouths filled with jagged teeth. Able to move through undergrowth without leaving a trace and to blend into forested areas (including their heavily overgrown lair here), they are master ambush hunters.

Two of the hunters fly down, while others train their arrows on the interlopers. The two inspect the spearheads, and upon finding that they spearheads are incredibly sharp, they hoot and holler in an unknown language. Unfortunately, Aron had not thought to cast this spell ahead of time, and they seem twitchy. They collect the spearheads and nod at Aron and Book, and if they don't leave right away, they give a terrifying howl to frighten them ..... but they don't attack.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #956
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Spoiler: Book>>>Collective
    Show
    "This seems like a good beginning. Maybe we take it in steps. Back out now and come back again later with more. And prepared to understand them?"

27. - Top - End - #957

Aron tepes agreement, as does Gelik.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #958
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Book nods at the creatures in return and slowly backs away.

29. - Top - End - #959

The assumption is that you now back away to the others. Now what?
    Show

30. - Top - End - #960
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Regroup back at the camp. Discuss what went wrong and what went right. Decide on a new gift to bring and try again, with all spells cast this time around.