New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: The Scarred Lands (IC)

Graeme MacKelan

Graeme grunts, "If'n minin' an' dungeon delvin' we go, then 'avin' two dwarves be better than a score o' men. Gislana be right, we best get goin'. I say we take th' secret way an' beat the others tae where they be goin'."
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keishara Embermist in A World Bound Together
    Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Bree Yark in Barrowmaze Grp 2
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

Heinrich

"Aye Graeme, and one dark elf is worth a handful of your kind in a tunnel-fight. Still, one must work with what one has, and truth be told, I would rather have you at my back than even one of my own kind. Indeed, they would as like run me through as talk to me."

He gets an uncomfortable look on his face as if unsure about having shared such information, but then shrugs.

"Let's go." He says and walks out the door, alert for spiders, thugs, or other dangers.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Gislana

Opting not to join in the men's pissing contest about being good in a fight, Gislana merely hefts her loaded crossbow and nods to Jess and Patience.

We are goink after your comrades now. Please tell Weston we are takink his map, and be wishink us good luck. We will be overthrowink your vicious capitalist overlord captain, and restorink true peace and order.

I am hopink. Wishink us luck.

She too heads out, alert to sounds of pursuit or web-spinning.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #394
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Luck, my friends. We'll try to hold things together here.

(Anyone else going to look at the map? Heinrich and MAdrigal don't know what's written on it)
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Hengist Magnusson, Huntsman, Woodsman, Norseman.

5. - Top - End - #395

PirateCaptain

Graeme MacKelan

At first the dwarf's face reddens at the slight remark. Before he can sputter out a retort, Graeme is taken off guard at the follow up comment. Graeme claps his slack jaw shut and ponders, Perhaps thar be more tae this one than meets yon eye. Shaking off his thoughts, he grumbles, "Quit hoggin' th' map - let a trained eye takes a looksee."

Graeme will take the map when he can and study it and read it. If need be, he will use his read magic spell.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

6. - Top - End - #396

PirateCaptain

ooc: Sorry about the double post, but need to add this information.

Graeme MacKelan

Graeme studies the map and says, "Thar be a label on this 'ere other shaft sayin' 'Enterance'. These 'ere words be in Abyssal, mind ye. This shaft ain't on th' other map." He points at another part of the map and says, "Thar be another hole 'ere. If'n th' scale be right, methinks it be closer to the town. See this trail here? Leads right back to the village, too. These words say, 'Escape,' in tha' demon tongue."
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Gislana

Gislana also peers at the map as they head towards the path indicated on the map.

Well, I would rather be takink the abyssal escape than taking the abyssal entrance, yes? I am votink that we head for that last hole, but I will go with the rule of the people.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

Heinrich

"Well, if the Captain is behind this, it's most likely that he would use a tunnel that he knew about and the others did not. Therefore I propose we use whichever tunnel is not on the original map. Indeed, I am thinking that the Captain, off in the woods looking for the supposed treasure, stumbled upon a demonic entity that is responsible for what has happened here. Perhaps the townsfolk were intended as a sacrifice."

9. - Top - End - #399

Tiresias

Tiresias, having been silent for an unusually long while, having spent the time teaching Etrius how to behave, finally decides to break the silence, and break a smile too: Yes, and next you'll tell us beholders are toying with reality, and the vampires are trying to assasinate everyone using cabagge juice. Though I agree with you, Heinrich. We should check the abyssal hellhole. At the very least, it'll serve to assauge your curiosity.

10. - Top - End - #400

DwarfClericGuy

You make your way back out through the gap in the wall behind the house that you found the burned woman in. It takes you the better part of an hour to make your way to the area marked as "Escape Tunnel" on the map. It appears to have been concealed with fliange and the like in the past, as evidenced by the complex lattice of twigs and vines covered with green boughs and brooms. The maintenance of the displaced lattice indicates that someone in the town is apparently maintaining it. There is much trambling of the ground in thie area, and stray signs of the spiders, but no sign of any of the townsmen.

The map indicates that the secret tunnel should be off to the south from where you stand.
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #401

PirateCaptain

Graeme MacKelan

Graeme stops where he is and says, "'Cordin' tae me calculations, th' entrance should be near 'ere. Le's fan out and get lookin'"

Haggis jumps out and begins sniffing around as well, but stays within 5' of the dwarf.

Spoiler
    Show

Shield ready + sword out

Search - (1d20+6)[14] (+2 more if involves stonework)
    Spot - (1d20+1)[7]
    Listen - (1d20+1)[21]

Haggis:
    Search - (1d20+2)[16]
    Spot - (1d20+3)[9]
    Listen - (1d20+3)[10]
    Last edited by Darius; 2008-03-12 at 10:42 AM.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

12. - Top - End - #402

Madrigal

Lucas looked around the area as well, keeping a watchful eye for whatever might pass as an entrance. He also drew his shield and flail, with the hopes of not needing them.

13. - Top - End - #403

DwarfClericGuy

A brief search of the area turns up an entrance pretty much where one would infer from the map. It's a long-overgrown tunnel that shows signs of recent entry. Forcibly. There are broken and cut vines scattered all about.
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ogre in the Playground

Heinrich

"Well, looks like we have a winner. I'll take point. Graeme, Gislana, and Madrigal, stay at least 15 feet behind me, but not too far. Ty... well, if you can see me you are too close. I don't want the light of your torch or whatever to touch me at all. Or maybe you should keep watch out here, make sure nobody tries to seal us in or anything."

Heinrich stretches, adjusts his shield, draws his razor-sharp rapier, and peers into the cave.

"Before I head in, anyone got anything to quiet the pain in my leg? The poison has been taken care of, but the fangs left a couple of nasty holes."

OOC:
    120' darkvision is awesome.
    spot - (1d20+6)[14]

Hmm, I think Heinrich's nonlethal damage will have worn off by now... 1 pt per hour, and that was pretty much first thing in the morning, and it's evening now. That's more than 6 hours... I'm going to assume it's gone. Torger, correct me if I'm wrong.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Gislana

Gislana nods at Heinrich's suggestions, and reloads her crossbow. When he asks about care for his leg, she is quick to respond.

Of course, darlink. Let me be havink a look at that bite.

Spoiler
    Show
    90' darkvision isn't bad either!

Gislana will do a Healing Check on Heinrich (1d20+6)[15] to see how badly off he is. If it's warranted (ie, he's 5 or more points down), she'll either cast a 0 level on him, or substitute in a Cure Light Wounds [ro..]1d8+3[/roll]

Once all are ready, she'll cast her Longstrider spell on herself. If the cave entrance narrows, she will encourage Madrigal and Graeme to precede her, figuring that her greater vision and speed will help her move forward or backward to assist as needed.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Gislana will do a Healing Check on Heinrich [roll0] to see how badly off he is. If it's warranted (ie, he's 5 or more points down), she'll either cast a 0 level on him, or substitute in a Cure Light Wounds [ro..]1d8+3[/roll]
    Well, he's only down by 4, but that is 20% of his hp (16/20).
    I was thinking a CMW or two, but your character's resources, so your call.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    A pair of CMW, it is! Consider yourself up 2 HP.

18. - Top - End - #408

Tiresias

Very well, Heinrich. Etrius is going with you, anyway. And don't worry about him, he's much more responsible now. If he's disabled and you need help, scream like a harassed maiden, Ty says, as Etrius silently and obediently detaches from his armor and climbs to Heinrich's shoulder.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ogre in the Playground

Heinrich

"Thank you, Gislana. You are truly a kind and generous soul. The people are lucky to have you in their service."

He "tickles" the psicrystal clinging to his shoulder, almost like he might scratch a cat under it's jaw.

"So long as he keeps his, er, facets shut, that won't be a problem. Ok little buddy, if you see something, you just quietly tap me like this, nice and quiet."

He taps the psycrystal three times rapidly.

"Any last words before I head in?"

20. - Top - End - #410

Tiresias

Spoiler
    Show
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Not any special ones. Good luck, people. I'll be waiting here for you.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Gislana

The dwarf accepts Heinrich's praise with a surprisingly shy nod.

May Nemorga shepherd us all to a place of rest, but not today.

Quietly, she intones an additional prayer to Nemorga, and then nods her readiness.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Longstrider.

22. - Top - End - #412

DwarfClericGuy

The tunnel slopes sharply downward, almost enough to require stairs, and does not show many signs of use, save for recently. It extends far beyond the reach of Heinrich's vision. The descent is long and perilous, with the thicker members of the proceedings having to squeeze through in some parts where the ceiling fell through (recently, it would seem). Finally, after descending, Heinrich estimates, through around 500 feet of tunnel, a wall is visible, right across the path. It's roughly 100' away.
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ogre in the Playground

Heinrich

Heinrich pauses and allows his 3 dark-sighted companions to catch up. Whispering, he says,
    "There is a wall across the tunnel about 100 feet from here. Wait here while I check it out. I may be a while. If I call out or more than ten minutes pass, come find me."

He then cautiously creeps up to the wall and examines it closely.
    Spoiler
    Show

Moving to the wall:
    Hide [taking 10] = 20
    Move Silently [taking 10] = 20
    Searching the tunnel [taking 10] = 20
    At the wall:
    Search the wall [take 20] = 30

24. - Top - End - #414

PirateCaptain

Graeme MacKelan

Graeme will affix the map to the inside of his large wooden shield using a minor cantrip. He will refer to it and add any new passages as he goes using his chalk. While exploring, the dwarf is all business - he continuously moves as quietly as he can, his sword and shield are at the ready, and he keeps an eye out for any strange stonework or shifting doors (including trap doors) in the mine-like environment.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

25. - Top - End - #415
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Gislana

Ah, it is good to once again feel the cool dampness of the stone. Funny how it feels a bit claustrophobic now, after so long.

Gislana also keeps a keen eye out for strange variations in the rock face, sure signs of hidden work.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ogre in the Playground

Heinrich

Shortly before the 10 minutes are up, Heinrich emerges from the darkness.
    "I found a lever, but I can't get it to budge. I'm going to need someone stronger to attempt it."

OOC: Sorry! Torger sent me this info a couple days ago, but I couldn't post right away... then I... forgot...

27. - Top - End - #417

PirateCaptain

Graeme MacKelan

Graeme hefts up his belt and sniffs, saying, "A rusty lev'r, eh? Sounds like a job fer someone 'ccustomed tae 'ard work."

He follows Heinrich to the place and will say a quick prayer to his god, then will attempt to move the lever.

ooc: cast guidance then try the lever.

STR - (1d20+4)[13]
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

28. - Top - End - #418
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Gislana

Following part-way to the lever, Gislana prays briefly to Nemorga that Graeme's understanding of the technology, and the elf's cunning, will combine to make the right decision. Looking over at Madrigal, she shrugs, and waits to rush forward if help is required.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standing 40' back from the wall, so that she can see what happens, but isn't right on top of it if a retreat is required.

29. - Top - End - #419

DwarfClericGuy

After several minutes of hauling against the lever, Graeme manages to slide it into place, and with a grinding of protesting gears, the panel swings open. Inside, there is a shaft descending down with hand- and foot-holds carved into the stone. It descends about 30 feet before ending. A faint wisp of light can be seen at the bottom.
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #420

Madrigal

Lucas walked over to the group congregating around the now revealed shaft. He peered down into it and whispered, "Well, whatever might be down here heard that for sure. Let's stay wary of our surroundings, eh?" Moving as quietly as he could, Lucas began descending into the shaft.