New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous - Sword of Valor [IC]

Rosa approaches Nurah, asking him "do you have any idea who could have given Aron shadowblood?"
    Last edited by Zhentarim; 2023-03-01 at 08:23 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Shauna finds Aravashinal by his tent, near that of Irabeth at the middle of the camp. He's gazing at the wounded, cloud-covered sky. It looks as though it was sunset, the undersides of clouds painted red.
    "I never thought I'd see this sky again..." he muses as Shauna approaches. "I'm not sure if I'd rather not."

Eikos looks a bit angry. "Height of foolishness! What good could come from trafficking with the fiends and their... drugs. When we have Heaven's glory, and a celestial emissary like you present as an alternative."
    "Shadowblood, from what I have seen, is foul stuff. Makes you need it. They say it's good against demon's power, but let's just say I haven't known a warrior worth the name using it. The Kenabres Wolves were a group that did. They didn't regroup with the rest of the Crusaders. Either dead or gone to the other side."

Nurah looks at Rosa, her face carefully neutral. "Hm? Shadowblood? Isn't that some kind of drug?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Sense Motive for Rosa and Skerak.
    (1d20)[19]
    Last edited by Kallimakus; 2023-03-02 at 07:10 AM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive: (1d20-2)[15]

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

"Thanks Eikos. Can you guys, on the down low, keep an eye out? I am worried that Shadowblood may be spreading around again. We need to nip it in the bud if it's being distributed."

Luna thinks to herself, "They seem sincere...so the other suspect is Nurah. Nurah seems like she's more able to lie. Well, either way, we need to protect Aron and make sure he can't get any more."

Luna goes to find Shauna to share her findings, so she probably heads to Aravashniel. After, she'll regroup with the others as well.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

Rosa walks to Luna.

"Nurah seems trustworthy."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Luna finds Shauna with Aravashinal. The two are chatting idly.

Rosa and Skerak think that Nurah doesn't get the relevance of the drug to their current situation.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Colossus in the Playground

"I'm sorry that everything turned out the way it did, Aravashinaal," Shauna says, frowning. She grips the sword at her belt with anger. "I swear, I wanted to fix this."

She seems serious, but even with all the power she has gained, she is at a loss for words. "Do you think there are any others like you still out there?"

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

"Shauna, we WILL fix this. It all starts with getting that Banner, and retaking Drezen. This is the start of hope. But we also need to make sure that we can protect our people. I checked out some of Aron's former comrades, and I think they aren't behind it. They seem to be very appalled by the very thought of Shadowblood. That leaves Nurah as the other person likely to know about Aron's history. We are waiting for some of the others to come back and let us know how their talks to her went. Either way, we need to keep an eye out and make sure none of the drug is passed around anymore."

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

"My amulet can spy and see where its coming from. As for me, I can be the fire and the muscle."
    Rosa grins.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"We're on our way to strike a deep blow against the Worldwound." Aravashinal says. "And I do. Not in Kenabres, but those in my line of work tend to work far and wide. Field trips are essential. Once we build momentum, I'm sure more of my fellows will join us."

Their course resolved, they rest, as Rosa's amulet unfolds its legs and stands watch over Nurah's tent..

Spoiler: Report for Rosa
    Show
    Her amulet has remained dutifully on watch. "I watched over Nurah's tent. She left the tent, and went to stare at the sky. Then she talked to a strange man. He left and she cried. And went to sleep."

Spoiler: Luna
    Show
    Over the course of her nightly duties, Luna was visited by a new, charming man, who came after her usual visitors.

Spoiler: Shauna
    Show
    Radiance has begun to shine more powerfully. It seems that the sword's power starts to awaken as it travels towards the Worldwound.
    Last edited by Kallimakus; 2023-03-31 at 01:48 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kallimakus View Post
    "We're on our way to strike a deep blow against the Worldwound." Aravashinal says. "And I do. Not in Kenabres, but those in my line of work tend to work far and wide. Field trips are essential. Once we build momentum, I'm sure more of my fellows will join us."

Their course resolved, they rest, as Rosa's amulet unfolds its legs and stands watch over Nurah's tent..

Spoiler: Report for Rosa
    Show
    Her amulet has remained dutifully on watch. "I watched over Nurah's tent. She left the tent, and went to stare at the sky. Then she talked to a strange man. He left and she cried. And went to sleep."

Spoiler: Luna
    Show
    Over the course of her nightly duties, Luna was visited by a new, charming man, who came after her usual visitors.

Spoiler: Shauna
    Show
    Radiance has begun to shine more powerfully. It seems that the sword's power starts to awaken as it travels towards the Worldwound.
    "Can you tell me more about this man you saw?"

12. - Top - End - #72

In the morning, Shauna is ready to resume the march on Drezen.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim View Post
    "Can you tell me more about this man you saw?"
    "Well, I don't quite remember seeing him before. I thought I knew all of the troopers, but...well...let's just say I *definitely* would've remembered him. He is suave, ridiculously charming, and an adonis in bed. I have to wonder where he was hiding before! It's very strange. Do you think it has anything to do with the strange man your amulet saw?"

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The army must set off early in the morning. The discussions can continue as they ride. Having crossed the West Sellen river days ago, and gotten past the fiendish army guarding the way, the path is open. Called the Keeper's Canyon, it is the dried bed of Ahari River. Though muddy, the approach is guarded on both sides by the steep walls of the canyon, keeping the army unseen, as well as sheltered from the element.

As they ride, the weather above is in flux. Thunder cracks across open skies. Sudden gales howl over the travellers. Heading towards the Drezen, the Sun appears to be lower in the sky than when they set off, until it suddenly looms above them, dim as if hidden by a haze and failing to give warmth or hope.

As they pause for a meal after midday and convene with Irabeth, she comes forward with a question "Has any of you seen Nurah? I had hoped to talk about the path ahead. This river left from Drezen, but I had hoped to consult her further."

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Luna shakes her head. "I haven't talked to her recently. Should we go look for her?"

(Kara got a 19 on her Perception check to look for Nurah)

Luna decides now it's the time to voice her concerns. "Commander Irabeth, I have to voice some concerns and suspicions I have, regarding Nurah. Recently, someone planted doses of Shadowblood. They were planted in Aron's tent, and I believe this is a plot to re-addict Aron to the demonic drug. Very few people knew about Aron's addiction, and Nurah is one of them. I've personally talked to the others that knew, and I don't believe they did it. After Rosa talked to Nurah about it, Nurah has just conveniently disappeared. I think it's likely that Nurah is our suspect, and she could be either a traitor or a spy, or both."
    Last edited by Frosty; 2023-04-20 at 08:16 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Alas, 19 doesn't beat the DC

"I don't believe it..." Irabeth mutters, her face hardening as the implications sink in. "If we were to drive her out, she might become a problem even if she is innocent."

The half-orc paladin looks at the heroes in turn. "How should we handle this? My instinct is to make sure before decisive action, but that might backfire."

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, we can't drive her out without poof. That would probably affect morale. But, if she is a saboteur and a spy, then we just can't leave her alone. We need our best scout following her and keeping tabs on her. Who knows if Nurah has any long-range communication devices to give the enemy status updates on us? Is Anevia up to this?"

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

"We must find Nurah before she jeopardizes our mission. Demons are brutal and terrible monsters who must be stopped before they can hurt more people."

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Anevia nods to Luna's question. "Yeah. I'm good for finding her and keeping an eye out. Probably stand out less thatn the big heroes in any case."

Irabeth nods. "Thanks dear" she says, and nods approvingly to Rosa's words. "Doubt is a poison to us. I think we need to confront her. Apologize if we're wrong. But if she stands with the demons..." she lets the words hang.

All too soon, it's time to move along. As they ride, Anevia finds each hero in the column. Nurah is still with them, at the rearguard, away from the heroes and commander Irabeth. Together, you need to determine how to handle the situation. Do you offer her trust or suspicion? Who would best do the talking.

Show
    You can find her as you make camp, or as the group rides. There's pretty free reign as to how you want to approach this.
    In the camp, she sets her tent alone at the edge of the camp.

20. - Top - End - #80

Shauna frowns. "I don't like to use force against our allies, but perhaps Skerak would be the most persuasive here? He could intimidate her and scare her off if necessary."

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

"We don't have to bully or use force. But we do need to convince her that the best way to clear her name is to allow us to investigate this magically. We should get Aravashniel to analyze the magical effects on her. Ask her to remove them. If she doesn't, then we dispel them. Following that, I can put a mark on her that forbids her from lying. After that, we can question her normally."

22. - Top - End - #82

"That sounds like the smartest course of action. Let's get Aravashinaal and then pull Nurah away for questioning."

23. - Top - End - #83

"If you think intimidating her is our best course, I can try."

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The group discusses the plan. "Sounds like a plan is made." Irabeth nods. "Aravashinal is usually at the rear also."

They move through the camp and seek out Aravashinal. The elven mage is concerned. He claims that he has thought that one of the newcomers was suspicious, but doesn't mention who.
    "I can do what you ask. It seems prudent to clear the air." he says. "It was a good plan to come to me. I have some expertise in investigation."
    He begins by casting Detect Magic, keeping up his concentration. They find the halfling, looking forlorn, seated by herself.

She stands up as she spots the heroes of Kenabres, looking around to find that there's nowhere to run. "Hey there. Um. Didn't get to tell you last night. Nice work with the battle last night."
    Aravashinal whispers to the heroes. "She has plenty of magic around her. Potent and weak. On herself, I sense an abjuration. Some can be used to hide a foul heart"
    Of course, some abjurations are simple defensive spells, but having one active at mealtime would not be that usual.

25. - Top - End - #85

"Nurah, thank you for your assistance with the battle," Shauna says with a smile. "Could you please dismiss any spells you have active on yourself so we can talk?"

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"You don't trust me?" she asks, her words feigning hurt, but her expression is hard. "Must be tough looking at everyone with suspicion..."

It doesn't seem like she's dropping her spell.
    "I sense other potent magics about her person" Aravashinal whispers. "Scrolls or wands."

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

"We are not going to do any witch hunts on innocent people, which is why we are going to be thorough. You are but one of the people we are talking to. No, don't ask who else right now. Please help us clear any suspicion of you by cooperating. We will need to drop ALL of your active spell effects. Nothing unpleasant will happen to you. It's just a talk...albeit a more secure one."

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Nurah shakes her head. "You know, I never wanted to come on this mission" she muses. "Having worked my way all the way to the queen, going on this kind of a fool's errand... But you look like you've got a chance."

"What's that over there?!" she shouts suddenly, and disappears. Footsteps sound on the dirt.There are footprints in the small area where she sat.

Show
    (1d20)[8] Bluff with a substantial bonus to try and make you look away a bit.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Sense motive: (1d20+5)[16]
    Perception: (1d20+15)[31]

30. - Top - End - #90

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20)[17] Perception
    (1d20)[2] Sense Motive

Shauna is completely fooled, caught off guard by the distraction. But she's really good at seeing there's nothing actually there.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2023-06-05 at 06:53 PM.