New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Jumpers Vs. Wh40k ITP OOC 1

Thanks, It was Rater's idea, I'm just trying to make it work as best I can.

I think if you want to do your own you'll want to establish some ground expectations about pacing and like how long the roleplay is going to be and such, because how overpowered a Jumper can get, can mean things can get solved real fast unless you all agree to like take your time a bit? like obviously some jumps are more powerful than others and some settings are more powerful than others, and if I were to make a more permanent Jumpchain roleplay idea, I'd leave room to expand or go to other settings in case one doesn't last or whatever, because you can't just arbitrarily jack up the power or difficulty of these things. (unless you make custom drawbacks for that to be allowed and they're taken I guess?)

like the other way to do this is to like, come up with a more balanced version of the Jumper concept or whatever, but Jumpchain as a......concept? ruleset? thing? is already established in a sense and you just have to work with what you have, and it'd be a harder sell when Jumpchain is already a pretty obscure internet thing.

but yeah, compliments appreciated.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hrm.

Is there anything I could/should be doing to make my posts more... legible? accessible? whatever?

Mostly directed at Rater, but either way, if there's something I should improve, I'm all for it.
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

sorry I'm not updating just been....distracted by other things. also for some reason its taking me forever to make one post. I hate how perfectionist I can be sometimes.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Colossus in the Playground

The post seems fine to me as of right now.

If I'm holding stuff up, sorry. The next thing I'm considering is gonna take me a bit to write out and maybe potentially... Distracting from what's going on currently.

Between that and my focus being elsewhere at the moment I don't mind if the game moves on a little bit.

Edit: So that was some eerie timing.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2023-11-24 at 12:05 AM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #305

So Frode just used nanotech to mess with the drukhari- basically if they try to hurt anyone, they get hurt in the way they were trying to inflict on someone else. Then he popped portals that led to a pocket dimension protected from Slaanesh for the drukhari and another one for their ex-slaves and whatnot, and said that any drukhari that wanted protection from Slaanesh had to become ascetics like the Craftworld Eldar to get that protection.

And as always, if this is too much or anything like that, let me know and I will edit as needed.

EDIT: And I'm a bit worried that I brushed off the dark eldar attempt to find Frode too easily, but I said in my previous post that the nanites were inactive and stealthed...
    Last edited by TeChameleon; 2023-11-28 at 08:06 PM.
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

6. - Top - End - #306

S I wanted to actually write out Alex doing all of that but I couldn't properly find the words and I was falling behind, so..

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #307

No major worries on my part, Rater- if it really bugs you, you can always go back and edit, I suppose, but I get the gist.

And I must apologize ahead of time for any mistakes I make with the characterization of Danger; I'm not amazingly familiar with her, but her snark in Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run endeared her to me somewhat, and I thought that she'd make a good foil for Frode. And it's not exactly hard to explain how he could re-create her, given his powers and perfect memory.
    Last edited by TeChameleon; 2023-12-10 at 03:55 AM.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, don't worry about it Rater, just roleplay in a way that makes you comfortable, thats what I do, don't feel as if you need to "get the words out" just......roleplay what you want to roleplay and the rest just flows. personally I find a straight path doesn't always lead to your destination when creative writing stuff, but thats just me.

9. - Top - End - #309

Oog. Feels like we're once again running into my lack of knowledge of 40k. If I say anything too stupid in a post, please let me know, Raziere. Also, if I cross any lines, start godmoding (godmodding?), or anything like that, please call me on it.

Also, Rater, is there anything I could be doing with my posts that would make you more comfortable responding to them, or anything like that? Feels like I'm not quite hitting the mark on that

EDIT- Random question, are there people who aren't us three reading this thread? The 'viewed' number goes up awfully quickly for just us...
    Last edited by TeChameleon; 2023-12-18 at 01:44 AM.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I don't know whats going on with that either, I just assume there are people out there who like reading roleplays like this for some reason? but not actually participating? its either that or bots sent through the internet just gathering words/data for stuff, which is probably more likely.

And the thing about Ensara informing you about things, you basically gave her the Chaos God that allows her to the most informative she possibly can because she has a warp library of knowledge across time and space. so.....you basically did this to yourself, in a sense. She wouldn't know all this if she didn't have like that power to just know or foresee this or that from the warp whenever she wants and also like, souls that can look it up for her and inform her through a mental link she probably has with them. before she was just limited to whatever was immediately relevant and her own memory, but now she can just inform you about whatever. you hadn't interacted with Necrons much, so I assumed it'd be reasonable that you wouldn't know much about them yet, sorry.

Also I got to thank you for asking about good Necron Dynasties because the secret of Warhammer 40,000 is that the canon subfactions are actually just famous examples, you can actually just make whatever little sub-factions you want, make them as reasonable or good as you can and put them in whatever corner of the galaxy you want, so if I can't find any "good" Necron Dynasties....I can just make them up!

As for the Dark Eldar well.....its already done, I don't see them comic back without some parallel universe shenanigans and I'd have to figure out how to make it so that it doesn't feel like erasing your progress or efforts? would've like to do something with them, but alas.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2023-12-18 at 02:27 AM.

11. - Top - End - #311

Assuming that I don't know much about the Necrons is both entirely reasonable and accurate. I don't, and I'm sorry if I somehow gave the impression that I did. Heck, I even had Frode apologize because he doesn't know much of anything I don't, so...

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

12. - Top - End - #312
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Yeah, I don't know whats going on with that either, I just assume there are people out there who like reading roleplays like this for some reason? but not actually participating? its either that or bots sent through the internet just gathering words/data for stuff, which is probably more likely.
    I've been doing exactly that, reading without participating, sorry about that. Feel like I don't understand the setting enough, also my schedule has been chaotic with the end-of-year festivities.

The numbers are still probably bots.
    Last edited by TherianTheorist; 2023-12-18 at 11:05 PM.
    "Life before death, Strength before weakness, Journey before destination."

Baking werewolf by Diremage
    Spoiler: Oddly true
    Show
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show
    Beastly Squall avatar by linklele. Awesome Protean avatar by Serpentine.

13. - Top - End - #313

I mean, I don't mind, really, just was a bit confused.

And as far as understanding the setting... I've made it this far while being largely clueless, at least to the deeper lore of 40k

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TherianTheorist View Post
    I've been doing exactly that, reading without participating, sorry about that. Feel like I don't understand the setting enough, also my schedule has been chaotic with the end-of-year festivities.
    *shrug*

Hey, if you like what we roleplay and just want to watch....keep doing that. Who am I to judge?

and yeah, Wh40k is all lore, little storyline. like, its not like other franchises where you experience it all through a specific protagonist that provides you an easy window into it, its more of a setting that just exists in an eternal state of grimdark it can never truly get out of, so all developments are strictly planet-scale or lower, and there are a million books about it but they're all small stories that almost never advanced the overall plot of the setting.

like, the biggest change ever has been the whole Cicatrix Maledictum happening and Roboute Guilliman coming back and thats it. and like there is a big chunk of books that aren't even set in the 41st millennium, detailing the Horus Heresy which are like, 50+ books all by themselves.

I don't have a vast majority of those books. I have a few Ciaphas Cain books (which is the most canon parody take of the setting left), a few wikis I check, and fan series and fan information videos like If the Emperor Had a Text to Speech Device (comedic), Adeptus Ridiculous (comedic), and Luetin09 (someone whose videos take a serious look at the setting and present it as such, and is very thorough about he does so).

I understand, this is all very hard to get into due to how weird this setting works, it has no protagonist, no easily accessible form of official media and so on to truly grok how this setting is. this roleplay is no exception, because a bunch of jumpers using powers from other settings to run over this one is probably not the best way to understand the setting in any way shape or form.

So to let me tell the very, very basics to understand the setting, without any of the complicated lore or anything, the major factions:
    Spoiler: Wh40k crash course
    Show
    Imperium: Evil, not the heroes in any way shape or form, they are genocidal theocratic fascists whose soceity is corrupt, bloated and overcomplicated, their incompetence screws them over regularly, just because the stories are told from their perspective doesn't mean they are right. army wise, the most diverse and balanced as they have so many factions that delving into them would be getting into arguably most of the setting's lore. Is basically the Holy Roman Empire In Space- in the medieval era, not antiquity.

Chaos: Super-Evil, the flavors of evil: War, Plague, Decadence and Schemes, summons demons, does the temptation and sacrifice cult thing, are basically cartoon supervillains who talk a big game about drowning everything in chaos but end up being foiled all the time because the setting can't ever advance. army wise really focused on psykers and demons

Orks: Evil, likes to fight more than Khorne does, just enjoying themselves are the most comedic guys in the setting because they just make ramshackle tech and talk like british football hooligans, but are a threat if they get big enough, their culture is the simplest and crudest but at times effective. army wise, prone to a lot of silly wild-magic like random malfunctions with their guns, weaponry and pskyers so its like playing the wargame equivalent of a wild magic sorcerer

Eldar: Evil. Elves. generally likes being mysterious, cryptic, fighting fast and dexterous, using magic, making plans to survive with lesser numbers, is shot by Imperium humans for being elves. generally an elite army of small numbers but high quality troops

Necrons: Evil. are undead-egyptian-robot scheming nobles who are immortal and thus combine politics with being quirky, used to just be a terminator reference but have moved on. also a smaller number army but slow and very resilient compared to the Eldar's fast and offensive style

Tyranids: Evil. They're basically this setting's Zerg/Flood/whatever invading alien hivemind you can think of. they exist to do nothing but eat, adapt, evolve and grow forever. origins are mostly mysterious, but recent lore states that the Tyranids coming to the galaxy are incredibly massive and basically means that the entire galaxy will have to fight them to survive, if they aren't just stragiht up doomed. a melee focused army due to their extremely organic tech nature and also a numbers focused one as you want to be a swarm. Only united faction that doesn't fight itself.

Tau: The Lesser Evil. The tiniest empire but also the only competent empire in the setting in that they actually use diplomacy, mercy and so on times to achieve their goals, such as welcoming any alien race under their banner as second class citizens, accepting surrenders, convincing people to join their greater good ideology and so on. They also have actual scientific understanding unlike the Imperium. by the settings standards this makes them "naive and idealistic". Are the most ranged army, having little to no melee weapons and thus fight entirely with their plasma weaponry and giant mecha they use to fire their bigger plasma weaponry and thus are the most "modern" army in the setting.

finally The overall story of Warhammer 40k is that everything is horrible and in eternal war and has been for a long time, and that maybe there were chances for things to be better but that was a long time ago, and now any outcome is probably going to be horrible no matter what is done. all the people in power are corrupt and just want more war for whatever they desire, if there are any heroes in this universe they are the last little lights doing what they can on some random battlefield that doesn't mean anything, and if there are any sensible people they are almost certainly not the people running the place (except for Guilliman once he came back, he's like reasonable super-bureaucrat man who laments the current state of the Imperium and its best hope for reform into something better, but given how slow the setting was to budge on him ever returning at all, don't hold your breath). more probably everything would be doomed if Games Workshop wasn't completely focused on advancing everything as little as possible to get as much money out of it as they can, so really its just this stasis state of everything being on the edge of tipping over into some apocalyptic scenario that destroys everyone but one faction to ensure their victory and everyone else's defeat but every fan knows thats never happening.

the appeal of the setting is that you can play any evil army you want without any protag/antag tropes or moral quandaries holding you back. want your army of miniatures to be a bunch of tyranids eating everything? why not, everyone else is evil in this setting anyways. want to field a bunch of soul-eating demons to kill the oppressive Imperium, go for it. its all evil, so its all allowed. (instead you'll get held back by Space marines being the most popular army by a wide margin and thus get a truly disproportionate amount of money and attention thrown at them compared to literally every other army in the game, but thats a different issue).

and thats all you need to know about WH40k! everything else is just details or specific peoples stories really. Best advice I can give? don't take the setting too seriously. Its best when its this dark comedy where someone with common sense is surrounded by crazy people and trying to navigate that and everyone being surprised when the sensible solution works.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2023-12-19 at 02:42 AM.

15. - Top - End - #315

Just to be clear, I've been considering something like this for a while.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #316

Okay? I mean, I don't have any problem with it.

Also, Raziere? When Frode said the group should go to the Octarius Sector so Ensara could have a satisfying brawl, he was being entirely sincere. He doesn't really get why she'd want to, but he accepts it and doesn't have any problem with it- and he knows that if someone kept spoiling the stuff he finds fun, he'd get annoyed.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

The thing about the Octarius Sector is that its a cube 200 light years long, all sectors are. its not like a solar system or a planet, its literally 200 square light years of space where the Imperium has pulled out everyone that they can (its not everyone everyone, just everyone they can but the Imperium sucks like that) to make this big cordon containment with space fleets in case either the Orks or the Tyranids get powerful enough to break out, because they concluded they don't have the resources to deal with both of them. problem is, both sides are only getting stronger due to how their biologies interact, and so far no ideas have come up how to actually solve this, so its basically a ticking time bomb they're waiting to blow with like, a picket fence built around it because thats all they can really do.

so its less a brawl, and more....there is a LOT of Orks and Tyranids here, a lot of people that didn't get evac'd so they're just building up defenses and turning their planets into fortress worlds, hoping that someone comes up with a solution before breakout. Like your correct, Ensara will probably enjoy the brawl, but thats like, a small concern compared to like, hundreds of planets being in danger. I'd have no doubt Ensara would have no end of things to fight normally and I was hoping Octarius would like be a bigger more complex problem to solve maybe and take some time to like go through it, but given what I've been informed the Doctor can do and such, I'm prepared for Frode to somehow just solve 200 lightyears of tyranids and orks somehow and for me to go "whelp". like Octarius War is legit a canon storyline thing in 40k that is a rare of example of the Imperium not immediately trying to kill the threat because if you know what the previous guy did, even the Imperium can't blow up planet after planet just to kill their enemies.

also I wanted to make a short story of Ensara doing a christmas jump, originally intended as lighthearted comedic thing but the jump I found for that made have a different idea, but now I'm pretty sure I won't finish it in time for Christmas.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2023-12-24 at 06:47 PM.

18. - Top - End - #318

While Frode probably could just fold the entire Octarius Sector into the non-space outside the universe or whatever, the idea I had (and mentioned in my last post) was using a Neverwhen Flux channelled through the Celestial Orerry to dial the evolution of both sides back to their starting point so that they're that much weaker.

From there, no idea right now.

Also, I figured that Ensara would appreciate the chance to fight the Swarmlord (or whatever they're called) and the Warboss, not necessarily just mix it up with the whole Sector.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

As for the Anti-Life thing with the ork and the Tyranid....

do you want me to judge it based on how those two things handle chaos corruption, or based on what online discussion I can find them generally concludes about them handling it?

because those two methods yield very different results.

20. - Top - End - #320

Whatever you feel makes for the best story.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #321

So if all players are good with it, Frode's gonna mod the Sabre to seriously beef it up for the Octarius mission.

Also, Rater, Frode tried to give Alex a couple of brooches, one each for Rose and Molly, that will either let them teleport into Alex' warehouse without her, or else teleport them to Alex' location at your/Raziere's discretion (Frode's good, but he's not 'break the benefactors' rules' good)

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

He had the vague notion that her powers worked better with an audience, and was more than happy to be that audience if need be... although he really should ask her if that was the case, or if it was just some sort of special spider that was the intended audience.
    Well, the actual answers gets a bit OOC mechanical

Exalted Stunting working because a Pattern Spider sees you and decides to adjust the laws of physics for you was the Exalted 2e explanation. But I'm using the Exalted 3e setting for my own preferential reasons. in 3e there is no actual explanation- its just an OOC system thing for the sake of genre and so that if a player is caught between doing a sensible thing or stylish cool thing the stylish cool thing is the more optimal play for the sake of fun, thus the player never has to worry about making your character less cool that way.

that and even in 2e, the "Pattern spider likes your awesome and adjusts creation to allow it" explanation never made much sense when the pattern spiders only occupy Creation and its Loom of Fate which calculates all of Creation's physics, when Exalted could and would venture outside Creation to places like the Underworld, Malfeas, the Wyld and such that explicitly didn't have the Loom in it and thus no pattern spiders, and the stunting mechanics would still work because its a system thing.

Thus from that perspective, no Exalts don't actually need an audience for the Stunting to work. rather, the action being cool or awesome itself is what enhances what they do- they're like Dante from Devil May Cry. they don't care if no one is watching and they don't know they're in a videogame or anything, they just do ridiculous awesome stuff because in universe they decide they want and out of universe because the player wants them to do that awesome thing. it really needs no more explanation than that, the perk allowing it to happen is probably just making them awesome because its descriptive and not just going "I attack" or whatever. and even it did require an audience, her Jumpchain patron would be the true audience she needs to impress and the only one she'd ever need, because jumpchain perks are nonsense like that, but she doesn't actually.

(technically other Exalted powers DO require an audience to work, namely their social charms in Performance, Presence and so on because who are you persuading/playing music to or whatever if not a person your trying to influence with that social skill, but I doubt thats what you mean given the Pattern Spider reference.)

that and I caution learning Exalted from wikis, they're all outdated, 2e lore had a lot of issues with it, and no one has properly updated them to the 3e lore.

23. - Top - End - #323

*chuckle*

The sum total of my Exalted knowledge is... pretty much you, Rater, and Keychain of Creation. The mention Frode made was a bit of a throwaway, more a character beat than anything else. He realized he doesn't entirely understand Ensara's powers, so he's going to ask about them. Although on the off chance she needed an audience, he did provide a fantastic fire-and-thunder backdrop to announce her arrival

And I had all kinds of fun coming up with pseudo-scientific technobabble for the Sabre's new weaponry.

EDIT- With the latest post with Mjol-nearly, I'm not sure if I was clear enough- Frode hasn't suddenly gained massive combat prowess or anything, this is mostly show fighting with his technology picking up the slack. He's hoping to intimidate the orks (while gathering data, under the premise that they will be easier to study if there are fewer of them shooting at him).
    Last edited by TeChameleon; 2024-01-23 at 06:26 AM.

24. - Top - End - #324

My attention really hasn't been on this game lately, sorry.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

25. - Top - End - #325

Mostly poking this thread so it doesn't fall off into digital oblivion because a month has passed since it had a post.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

26. - Top - End - #326

Okay, I hate to do this since this RP as my idea in the first place, but... I'm realizing that I just don't know enough about 40K to keep doing this and I just don't know how to respond to posts.

I think I'm going to have to duck out.

I hate leaving stories unresolved, so... Assume that Alex and Co are just busy dealing with Thanoseid and/or handling more abstract spirit stuff since they're gods now.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

....well now what am I supposed to do?

did you even get that Octarius sector is supposed to be a greater challenge with its scale?

I don't get how you can stumped about what to do when you have literally a million different targets that are all evil and dozens to hundreds of planets that need help, but okay.

28. - Top - End - #328

A combination of choice paralysis and you to making really long posts that are a bit hard to get through and keep responses organized to, so I end up putting it of and then there ends up being more of it to react to later and...

It's a me problem, not a you problem.

Edit: Also probably a little bit of executive dysfunction since I know that's a thing now.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2024-03-21 at 01:46 AM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds like more linear plots and clear goals would be better for to do when GMing for you, got it.

30. - Top - End - #330

Should I take it that this thread is dead, then?

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu