AC: 19 HP: 48/64
    Temp HP 0
    PP: 11 PIv: 9 PIs: 14
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    5 / 6 d10 HD
    Spell Slots- 2/4 1st, 2/2 2nd
    Lay on Hands- 0/30

Honor follows the others inside, trying and failing not to look at the elf creature while he passes by.
    The Bear is Back.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Cyre Red (IC)

The pair of guards allow you to pass, though you're left with the echoing chuckle of the two-faced creature in your ears as the doors shut behind you and leaves you in the dim light of a thin tunnel, one you emerge from in no time at all.

The room you emerge into is immense, a vast circular theatre whose stands border the entire room, all facing into the central platform. The forms of people, stood and sat, fill the seats, though more than a cursory glance shows them to be frozen in place like statues; looking closer still shows their forms to be twisted and muddled, with facial features in the wrong place, or both arms on one side, or a head on their foot and a foot for a head. They are all recognisably humanoid, and yet clearly not.

The central platform is moated by water, save for a single path forwards in front of you that leads to it. Smaller platforms orbit it, and great banners of cloth in a rainbow of colours stream off the platform across the water. Beneath the still liquid, you spot the shadows of things moving about here and there, though none surface even at your approach.

In the centre, lit by two beams of light that seem to track its every move, is the creature you might guess is Ecsimizt. Others stand on the stage too, though they are as frozen as those in the stands - these have their bodies twisted into unnatural poses and shapes, as faced outwards towards the crowd as if putting on a show. Describing the otherworldly Master of Flesh and Skin proves taxing, for their form seems to shift with a shimmer whenever they move. They are beautiful, of that you know, but that beauty seems to be ever changing. At once they seem almost human, at others bearing fur or scales. The creature's only permanent feature is the long clawed nails that stretch from their fingers into needle points - sharp points that even now are knitting and weaving the body of one of their 'subjects' who sits silently in a chair. Their right eyestalk appears to have been elongated, and now stretches roughly a foot from their head, shifting under the "tailor's" ministrations like a snake searching for its prey.

When Ecsimizt speaks, their words seem to echo seven times, and seven times more, boring into your minds with an otherworldly resonance. "Y̸o̷u̴ ̷h̵a̵v̵e̷ ̷f̷i̵n̶a̸l̸l̸y̷ ̸a̸r̴r̸i̸v̵e̴d̴.̴ ̵A̶ ̸b̸i̵t̷ ̶s̴m̶e̸l̷l̴i̴e̴r̵ ̸t̷h̵a̷n̸ ̶a̸n̶t̵i̵c̷i̵p̷a̶t̸e̵d̵.̸ ̷H̷a̶v̵e̴ ̷y̸o̸u̸ ̷b̸r̶o̷u̸g̵h̸t̴ ̷a̶ ̷g̸i̶f̷t̶?̸.̴̞̮͆̆"
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

3. - Top - End - #663
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Aanash
    Tiefling Barbarian/Wizard/Warlock/Fighter
    AC: 19 HP: 52/63
    PP: 12 PIv: 11 PIs: 12
    Conditions: Blindsense (10), Arcane Ward (5/5), Temp HP (8)

If he'd been in a better mood, Aanash may have jumped at the chance to simply attack the guards and begin dismantling the building. Instead he simply trods along behind the others with his grim expression. Coming out into the macabre and unsettling theater, he narrows his eyes watching the strange shifting form of the sculptor himself. He'd not exactly been the best student, but he tries to figure out what it could be.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    (1d20+1)[17] Arcana to try and identify what this creature is

4. - Top - End - #664
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Svek, Kobold Sorcerer | AC: 16 | HP: 62 +11 /62 | PP: 15 PIv: 10 PIs: 12
    Spell Points: 24/32 Sorcery Points: 2/6 Wand: 5/7 Wings 119/120
    HD: 5 / 6d6 Draconic Cry: 3/3 Command: 1/1 Misty Step: 1/1
    Conditions: none

Svek walks warily past the guards and into the theater. What he finds there is even worse than he imagined. All of these corrupted and disfigured monstrosities must be in pain. But trying to free them would almost certainly cause them and this Ecsimizt to attack us and make us into his slaves as well.

The voice echoes through his head, but he can hardly make out the words. Something about a gift?

"Were we supposed to bring a gift?"

He stays back and keeps his distance from the demon.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Spoiler: Notes
    Show
    Duvi (Duvamil Sparklegem) gnome, Majordomo for Prince Oargev.
    Haydith ir'Wynarn, Princess of Karnnath
    Kellar d'Kundarak
    Mialee, a Valenar elf who is training Oargev's troops
    job in Kalazart (have map)
    rescue salvage crew
    Bring back documents
    Kundarak loot can be sold to Kundarak
    In New Cyre - Cyran Metalworks for armor and weapons
    Dalsin's Wondrous Emporium - some magic items
    Finas Tiyas, halfling ghost, now in Honor, needs to return sword to Eston.
    Delver, warforged in camp
    Stutterer, allowed to live
    Escemizt, demon that sculpts people into horrors.

5. - Top - End - #665
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Adam
    Human Cleric
    AC: 20(Cloak of Displacement) HP: 43/45
    PP: 18 PIv: 9 PIs: 9
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    Remaining wary within the lair of this diabolical foe, Adam carefully looks around, content to let his allies talk while he assesses the situation.

Show

(1d20+8)[12] Perception: Looking for hidden guards, whether the creatures on the stage are alive or not, alternate routes... Basically, if we start a fight here, how is it going to go.

(1d20+8)[20] Insight: Can Adam pick up anything about Ecsimizt?

Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

6. - Top - End - #666
    Titan in the Playground

"I̸t̸ ̷i̸s̸ ̵c̴u̸s̵t̴o̸m̴a̶r̸y̶ ̴t̶o̴ ̶b̴r̴i̶n̵g̶ ̶a̶ ̷g̸i̶f̶t̶ ̴w̶h̵e̵n̷ ̵i̸n̷v̵i̵t̸e̸d̷. T̷h̶a̵t̴'̷s̴ ̴h̴o̷w̷ ̴y̶o̸u̵ ̷m̸a̸k̸e̸ ̵f̷r̷i̷e̸n̸d̵s̶," the creature intimates, though it's hard to tell what emotion they convey through the echoing voices. "S̸o̶?̶ ̸W̷h̸a̶t̷ ̵h̷a̶v̷e̶ ̸y̴o̷u̶ ̸b̸r̵o̶u̶g̴h̷t̷ ̸f̴o̴r̵ ̵m̶e̴?̷"

Spoiler: Aanash
    Show

This is a creature of madness - of Xoriat. You have heard whispers, rumours in taverns, of the Daelkyr lords whose visages shifted and morphed like water running through a river. That seems a remarkably close descriptor for Ecsimizt. If indeed they are such a lord, they are almost certainly a threat beyond your group's means.

Spoiler: Adam
    Show

Perception: If the creatures on stage are alive, they're doing a remarkably good job of playing at statues, but then perhaps there is some sort of stasis magic involved, locking them in place until the Master has use for them.
    Given your position, you could probably beat a hasty retreat should conflict occur, but between Ecsimizt and the underwater shadows you do appear to be outnumbered, if not certainly outgunned.

Insight: They seem utterly at ease, and bear no indication of hostility.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

7. - Top - End - #667

BlueKnightGuy

Aanash

Enough whispers under the drunken breaths of adventurers and in the shadowed corners of rumor mills had corroborated to tell Aanash that this creature is a little out of their league right now. And causing offense would be bad for their health. Holding up his hands and moving slowly to indicate no harm intended, Aanash reaches down and takes a handaxe from his belt, doing his best to put on a friendly face in spite of his state of being. "Well, as I understand it the most heartfelt gift is one you made yourself."

Pulling aside his coat, Aanash uses the axe to peel away one of the bio-metal plates on his torso. He uses his block of wood to grit his razor sharp teeth into, digging deep gouges into the wood. When it comes to pain, Aanash is no stranger. Some can be fun - the burn of exertion, the coursing of electricity, the thrilling crackle of wild magic. Carving off a chunk of himself does not rank among these. His actions are certainly not within the normal range of his concerning behavior, which should clue in the party that this creature is not something to be trifled with.

After finishing his bloody work, Aanash takes out his worrying block and gives a grimacing grin, taking a step forward to hold up the organic plate in offering. Red runs down that half of his chest, staining his right pant leg.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    (1d20+8)[12] Athletics to peel off the piece with steady hands and avoid prolonging the experience
    (1d20+2)[8] Diplomacy for the offering of a madman's gift, if needed
    (1d20+2)[19] if somebody wants to offer Help

In his character description, the plates molt and shed naturally over time, but this is probably still about as much fun as prying off a fingernail attached to his torso. However much self-damage the GM feels that is worth, and whether he can shave it off without popping his barriers or not.

8. - Top - End - #668
    Ogre in the Playground

First Sergeant Honor
    Warforged Paladin of Conquest
    Temp HP 0
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    5 / 6 d10 HD
    Lay on Hands- 0/30

Honor could not decide what was more disgusting- the flesh knitting and sewing going on, the demonic creature whose body flows and changes like water, or the imagery of seeing Aanash peel part of himself off for the foul thing. His initial response was to leap into battle, but if Aanash was doing this much to placate the demon then either it was beyond their abilities or he was ensorcelled somehow, and either way it would not be a good time to start a fight.

So instead he held his ground. He had the distinct feeling that if he possessed biology his stomach would be turning and his skin would be crawling. That was the indication he got from the Corporal, anyway. Another advantage to his iron body.
    The Bear is Back.

9. - Top - End - #669
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Svek desperately wants us all to turn and run, but he's not going to leave his friends here to die and be turned into these grotesque creatures. He stays in the back, but tries to figure out what this demon wants from us and what it is trying to accomplish.

"These are interesting creations you've made. How does the process work?"
    Show

Show
    Kellar d'Kundarak
    rescue salvage crew
    Bring back documents

10. - Top - End - #670

GreenSorcererElf

Adam
    Human Cleric
    AC: 20(Cloak of Displacement) HP: 45/45
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    Adam stands warily, continuing to keep his eyes darting around the chamber as he represses his horror at Aanash's immediate decision to mutilate himself for this demon.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

11. - Top - End - #671
    Titan in the Playground

Your host watches as Aanash peels off the chestplate, and offers it up to them. Even ever-shifting as they are, you see a certain amusement in the strange creature's eyes.

Show

You take 10 damage (is affected by temp HP, not affected by arcane ward, ignores resistance/immunity) for the process of peeling off your own skin.

"D̵e̴l̸e̷c̶t̸a̸b̵l̶e̸.̸ ̵I̷ ̸s̷h̵a̵l̴l̸ ̶f̴e̵a̴s̴t̵ ̴o̵n̸ ̶i̶t̶.̴ ̴O̵r̶ ̷p̶e̸r̶h̵a̷p̸s̶ ̵a̸d̶d̶ ̸i̵t̸ ̵t̶o̵ ̷a̷n̵o̶t̵h̶e̶r̸.̶ ̷W̷o̷u̸l̵d̶ ̶y̵o̸u̵ ̸l̶i̴k̴e̴ ̶t̴h̷a̸t̷?̴ ̴T̵o̸ ̵b̸e̵c̶o̷m̵e̴ ̸p̶a̴r̴t̶ ̷o̷f̴ ̴s̵o̵m̷e̴o̷n̶e̸ ̵e̶l̴s̷e̸?̷" The question is rhetorical. Ecsimizt continues unabated, and without waiting for a reply.

"G̶r̶a̶c̷e̶ ̷g̵o̷e̸s̶ ̶b̶o̶t̴h̴ ̴w̴a̸y̶s̶,̷ ̴a̵n̸d̶ ̸y̷o̸u̷ ̴a̸r̶e̷ ̷w̶o̵n̸d̷e̸r̵i̸n̸g̴ ̷w̷h̸y̶ ̴I̶ ̸i̸n̸v̸i̷t̵e̷d̶ ̵y̷o̸u̷ ̵n̴o̶ ̸d̷o̴u̷b̷t̷?̵ ̸B̴o̸r̴e̷d̴o̶m̸.̸ ̴S̷o̶ ̴r̶a̷r̵e̴l̵y̶ ̷d̷o̷ ̵I̷ ̶s̶e̶e̴ ̴a̷ ̵n̴e̵w̸ ̸f̵a̴c̷e̵ ̷i̶n̵ ̸t̵h̴i̷s̷ ̴c̷i̵t̷y̴ ̶t̶h̵a̶t̵ ̸i̴s̷n̵'̴t̶ ̸a̴ ̵b̸o̵o̸r̴i̸s̸h̴ ̸m̶e̸t̶a̴l̷m̸a̴n̶ ̸o̶r̸ ̵a̴ ̸c̸l̴a̴t̶t̴e̴r̵i̴n̸g̷ ̵b̸o̶n̴e̷b̵a̶g̸.̶ ̵B̵o̸r̷i̸n̷g̵!̸ ̶B̵o̶r̷i̸n̸g̶!̵ ̵B̵o̵r̷i̸n̵g̸!̶ ̸" The sudden outburst of emotion is punctuated by the creature slashing the head from one of the statues with a single swipe of its talons. The severed bodypart tumbles in a bloody mess, before falling into the water. It falls for just a moment, before being swallowed by a shadow, and disappearing for good. Ecsimizt sighs, composing themself. "̸T̸h̶e̵r̵e̸ ̵w̸e̷r̷e̴ ̸o̵t̸h̶e̸r̴s̸ ̶o̴f̴ ̷c̴o̸u̷r̸s̴e̴,̶ ̷r̷e̴c̶e̵n̸t̵l̴y̷ ̷e̷v̵e̶n̸,̶ ̸I̷ ̸g̴a̵v̷e̶ ̸t̵h̸e̷m̶ ̵a̸ ̷g̶i̴f̴t̸,̵ ̷a̵n̷d̶ ̷t̷h̶e̷y̶ ̴s̶a̶i̷d̵ ̶t̷h̶e̶y̶ ̷l̸i̵k̵e̶d̷ ̸i̷t̸,̷ ̶s̴o̵ ̶I̵ ̸t̶h̶o̸u̵g̵h̶t̵ ̸t̷o̶ ̷m̷y̷s̸e̶l̵f̷,̴ ̵w̴h̸y̴ ̴n̷o̸t̸ ̷o̶f̴f̸e̵r̸ ̵t̸h̵e̶ ̸s̸a̸m̶e̵ ̴g̷i̷f̴t̷?̴ ̵I̴ ̷c̵o̵u̶l̷d̸ ̷k̵n̸i̶t̴ ̸y̶o̸u̵ ̵a̴ ̵n̶e̸w̷ ̶e̴y̸e̵,̷ ̸l̴i̸k̵e̶ ̴S̶t̸e̴v̷e̸n̴ ̷h̷e̷r̸e̸.̶ ̶A̷n̷ ̵a̶r̵m̸ ̴t̶h̷a̷t̸ ̸c̴a̷n̸ ̶c̵a̴s̸t̸ ̸s̶p̵e̵l̵l̷s̵ ̷o̴f̴ ̴i̷t̷s̵ ̶o̸w̸n̸ ̶v̴o̸l̵i̸t̷i̸o̸n̵?̸ E̸v̸e̶r̵y̶o̸n̴e̵ ̷c̶a̴n̴ ̶b̶e̶ ̶i̷m̴p̸r̶o̸v̴e̸d̴.̵ ̵M̴a̴d̵e̵ ̵b̵e̶t̶t̴e̸r̷.̶ ̵E̵v̵e̶n̸ ̶t̵h̶o̷s̷e̴ ̷w̶i̷t̸h̸ ̸s̶c̷a̵l̵e̶s̵ ̷o̸r̴ ̷s̸t̶e̸e̷l̶ ̸f̵o̶r̶ ̶s̴k̵i̶n̵.̶"
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

12. - Top - End - #672

GreenSorcererElf

Adam
    Human Cleric
    AC: 20(Cloak of Displacement) HP: 43/45
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    Adam frowns at the creature's words. Either we fight, or this is going to go poorly. Remotely controlled limbs casting spells does not sound like a good thing. And I suspect that all of this creature's "gifts" carry similar risks. After a few moments of consideration, Adam speaks up. "And what of the costs, and the downsides to those improvements?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

13. - Top - End - #673
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Svek is not interested in any upgrades from a demon. Fortunately, it does not seem as interested in his scaled body as it does the flesh ones of Adam and Aanash. Let's hope they are both smart enough to decline. He speaks quietly to Adam.

"I don't think this is a good idea. How do we get out of this?"
    Show

Show
    Kellar d'Kundarak
    rescue salvage crew
    Bring back documents

14. - Top - End - #674
    Ogre in the Playground

First Sergeant Honor
    Temp HP 0
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    5 / 6 d10 HD
    Lay on Hands- 0/30

Honor doesn't move, but his allies who know him would chalk this up to him being unsure what to do. If he was the superior officer he would order them to retreat and break out of this place, hauling ass until they were away from this place of perversion and corruption.

"I firmly but politely decline."

This finally comes out after several seconds pause. Honor looks to his allies, eyelights bright, and jerks his head in a firm motion towards the door, or, hopefully, some other exit.
    The Bear is Back.

15. - Top - End - #675
    Titan in the Playground

"C̶o̶s̵t̴s̷?̵ ̵N̶e̵e̴d̴ ̸y̶o̶u̵r̵ ̸e̴a̸r̶s̶ ̴r̷e̵p̴l̵a̶c̸i̸n̶g̴ ̷m̸a̵y̶b̷e̸.̵ ̴I̸ ̸s̸a̶i̶d̶ ̷i̵t̵ ̸w̶a̷s̶ ̶a̴ ̷g̵i̸f̴t̷.̷ ̶T̴h̷e̸r̶e̴'̸s̴ ̸n̶o̸ ̷c̴o̵s̶t̵.̴ ̸H̸o̸w̷ ̸c̷o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̴t̵h̵e̵r̷e̵ ̸b̵e̷ ̸a̴ ̵d̷o̸w̶n̷s̸i̵d̵e̷ ̷t̴o̷ ̸a̵ ̸g̷i̸f̸t̷?̸ ̸I̴s̵ ̵t̴h̵e̸r̸e̵ ̴a̶ ̸d̵o̸w̸n̸s̵i̸d̸e̸ ̵t̸o̸ y̷o̸u̶r̶ ̸g̷i̷f̷t̴?̷ ̵Y̷o̸u̷'̶r̸e̵ ̵s̶p̶e̴a̷k̶i̶n̵g̶ ̸n̷o̷n̵s̶e̶n̵s̶e̸.̶" The creature sounds perplexed, waving a hand as if the concept itself is ridiculous, with full sincerity.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

16. - Top - End - #676

BlueKnightGuy

Aanash

Thinking back to the strange creatures they encountered before, Aanash thinks it over. If sating this creature's boredom gets them out of here in one piece (and maybe a few more sewn on), it could be worth the risk. And it could be neat. "Oh, well, those creatures outside had some interesting looking stingers," he says, still a little reluctant. "Is it something like that?"

17. - Top - End - #677
    Titan in the Playground

"M̵m̸m̵,̸ ̸p̶e̴r̷h̵a̷p̶s̷.̴ ̸A̶r̴t̴ ̶i̶s̷ ̵a̴n̸ ̷e̶v̴o̸l̴v̸i̵n̸g̴ ̸p̴r̴o̸c̷e̷s̶s̴,̴ ̴a̶n̷d̷ ̷i̷n̷s̸p̵i̵r̸a̸t̶i̶o̵n̸ ̸m̴a̴y̷ ̶s̵t̷r̶i̷k̶e̶ ̶a̷t̴ ̷a̵n̷y̶ ̴m̶o̵m̴e̶n̶t̸.̴ ̵W̵a̵s̸ ̵i̸t̸ ̶t̵h̴e̴ ̶p̸o̸i̶s̵o̷n̸ ̵o̵r̵ ̵t̵h̵e̶ ̶t̵a̶i̶l̸ ̸t̶h̸a̷t̶ ̵s̶o̴ ̴e̴n̴t̵i̵c̷e̵d̶ ̶y̴o̶u̴?̶ ̶" There a hint of interest, but it's also seems that while you can make suggestions...the Master of Flesh and Skin may just do what they feel like.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

18. - Top - End - #678

BlueKnightGuy

Aanash

"Oh, most definitely the tail part," cracking a smile again and rubbing his hands together, Aanash starts to forget his earlier misfortune just a little. Clawing at the air to pump his arms back to his sides, he chuckles, "It has that element of unpredictability. They see you coming at them and think you will use a sword or a hammer, but then you twist and," he turns and does an angled jab with his hand for emphasis, "Hacha! It was tail stab all along! Gotcha suckers, heehee! Or," he turns and points backwards, "They come at you from behind, oh no! But then you whip out your secret tail stinger and kashing, surprise! Not so defenseless after all, foolish fools!"

19. - Top - End - #679
    Titan in the Playground

With your acceptance, the Master of Flesh and Skin whisks Aanash forward, into the spotlight. A bed, seemingly grown up from the ground at his will, appears - it's hard, and uncomfortable, and only made moreso when they bodily force the Mournling onto their front to begin their work.

It is long, and it is excruciating, and the party is forced to watch as flesh is drawn up from who knows where, threaded together into purple strands of skin, tied back in on itself a thousand thousand times, and then joined to the lower back.

Show

Aanash gaves a level of exhaustion and takes (2d8+6)[14] psychic damage from being forcibly bonded with their new tail.

The tail serves as a Whip with the following differences:-
    * It deals 2d4 damage.
    * It has a bonus to attack and damage rolls equal to 1/2 proficiency bonus, rounded down (and is magical).
    * On a hit, you can use your bonus action to either attempt a trip-prone or disarm with a str(athletics) check vs. their athletics/acrobatics. If your disarm roll beats theirs by 5 or more, you can immediately take hold of the item you took from them, so long as you have a free hand, otherwise it falls in an adjacent space.

That's all.
    For now.

By the time they finish, the tail is fully functional, and feels like an extension of your own body, yet looks distinctly alien. Neither its texture nor its tone match your own, as if they had grafted a whole other organ from another creature. Perhaps they did, calling it up from some extradimensional space.
    "A̵l̸l̸ ̸d̷o̷n̵e̴.̶ ̸A̸h̸,̶ ̷t̶h̵e̸ ̴d̴i̵c̶h̷o̸t̸o̷m̴y̷ ̶o̷f̵ ̶t̶h̴e̷ ̵n̷o̵r̵m̶a̸l̶ ̶a̴n̴d̵ ̴t̵h̷e̴ ̸a̸l̵i̸e̶n̶.̴ ̷I̸t̷ ̸s̵i̶n̴g̴s̴ ̴a̸ ̶s̸i̷r̶e̵n̶ ̵s̵o̶n̷g̸.̸

" ̸A̸n̷y̵ ̸o̸t̴h̷e̷r̴s̴ ̶w̵h̸o̵ ̸w̸i̶s̸h̸ ̵t̷o̷ ̴b̵e̵c̵o̴m̵e̵ ̴m̷o̵r̶e̷ ̵b̶e̵a̴u̸t̵i̴f̷u̷l̷?̵ ̶T̵o̵ ̷a̴s̵c̷e̷n̷d̵ ̷b̶e̷y̸o̶n̵d̸ ̷t̶h̵e̵i̴r̷ ̷b̵a̴s̵e̶ ̵f̷o̶r̶m̴s̸?̴" They turn back to the rest of the party, extended needle-nails eager and at the ready, but it is the gesture of an artist, not a threat.
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2023-10-19 at 10:18 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

20. - Top - End - #680
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Svek watches in horror as Aanash lets himself be disfigured by the demon. He's not sure a tail is worth it. He starts to slink away, thinking we should all run. But something in him stirs. Perhaps this thing could help him? He steps forward and asks, hesitantly,

"Could. Could you make me more of a real dragon?"
    Show
    Stronger scales, faster wings, blindsight, frightful presence? Maybe a breath weapon but I'm not sure how much he'd use it since he can already hit 2 targets with acid splash for 2d6+5 and I fluff that as his breath weapon. Maybe a once per day acid lightning bolt. 60' line, 8d6. He'd want to be larger size, but that's not something I want. I like that he's 2' tall. Or maybe something goes hideously wrong.

Show
    Kellar d'Kundarak
    rescue salvage crew
    Bring back documents
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2023-10-19 at 08:33 AM.

21. - Top - End - #681
    Titan in the Playground

"A̸ ̷d̵r̵a̴g̸o̶n̵?̶ ̴W̵h̸a̶t̸'̷s̴ ̵a̴ ̸d̴r̸a̷g̷o̵n̵?̷" Ecsimizt asks, seemingly legitimately unaware of them. An explanation provided illuminates a little, but it might leave you a little more concerned about just what the mad creature will unleash upon you.

The result is as long as brutal as that which affected Aanash, if not worse. Scales are torn from flesh with reckless abandon, sometimes simply to be licked and stuck right back where they came from. Holes are drilled into the skull that seem perilously close to your brain, and an entire foot is removed. The Master of Flesh and Skin cares not for your pain - indeed one of his first acts is sewing your mouth shut, forcing every scream and wail to come strained and muted, morphing the song.

Spoiler: Svek
    Show

Results:-
    You take (2d12+10)[22] psychic damage and gain a level of exhaustion from the more invasive procedure.
    You have two curved horns far closer to that of black dragons.
    One of your eyes and feet have been replaced. These have no mechanical impacts, but they are markedly out of place and glimmer unnaturally under light, appearing as if they hold the energies of the Mournland itself.
    Your dragon sorc AC calculation is changed to 14+Dex
    You gain the Gift of the Chromatic Dragon feat.

On the other end of the procedure, Svek's mouth is released from its bindings, and he is undoubtedly closer to that of a real dragon, but it is a lopsided appearance, almost mutated in parts. There is no majesty in this sight, at least none that anyone sane would recognise.

"N̶o̴w̶ ̶t̸h̵a̸t̴ ̵y̵o̸u̴ ̵h̵a̷v̶e̶ ̵s̷e̴e̵n̵ ̸t̷h̷e̴ ̵b̸e̸a̷u̴t̴y̶ ̴o̷f̷ ̶m̵y̴ ̴w̵o̶r̶k̸,̴ ̵I̸'̷m̴ ̵s̸u̸r̴e̷ ̵y̸o̶u̵ ̵c̷a̴n̷n̵o̴t̷ ̸c̴o̴n̴t̵a̷i̴n̴ ̴y̶o̶u̶r̵s̸e̵l̵v̴e̶s̷,̶ ̵n̶o̶?̶ "
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

22. - Top - End - #682
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Svek, Kobold Sorcerer | AC: 17 | HP: 40 +11 /62 | PP: 15 PIv: 10 PIs: 12
    Infuse Weapon: 1/1 LR, Resist Damage: 3/3 LR

Svek asks his question, explains what a dragon is, even describing the horns of the black dragon. But before he even has a chance to hear what Escemizt has in mind, the demon grabs him and forces him onto the table. His eye is gouged out and his foot cut off. Why my foot? All of his scales are individually and excruciatingly removed. Svek passes out for most of the procedure, still screaming in his sleep. When he wakes up, though, he is very excited. Not for the scales or the new power, but mostly for the horns. He looks in a mirror or pool of water and smiles.

"I love them!"

He doesn't even mind the shimmering eye or foot. He thinks they're cool.
    Show

Show
    Kellar d'Kundarak
    rescue salvage crew
    Bring back documents

23. - Top - End - #683

GreenSorcererElf

Adam
    Human Cleric
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    Adam takes in the changes to his two less wise companions, inwardly grimacing. And outwardly frowning. "I hope I'm wrong about consequences. And I believe it is time we were departing."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

24. - Top - End - #684

BlueKnightGuy

Aanash
    AC: 19 HP: 38/63
    Conditions: Blindsense (10), Arcane Ward (5/5), Temp HP (0), Exhaustion (1)

The process is excruciating. And not in many of the ways that Aanash finds fun - though the sudden influx of sensation as the new nerve endings are connected inside of the alien tail is certainly interesting. It wriggles and twitches a little with its newfound motility.

Once the procedure is done, Aanash hobbles off of the ringmaster's stage pulling his pants back on, in which his enterprising tail slices itself a new exit hole. The lavender appendage stretches and seems almost to 'look' back at Aanash when he grins back at it, his past misfortune now forgotten in the flood of stimulation. "Hahaha! Oh, you look very dashing and deadly, yes," he compliments it, to which the tail nods as he ventriloquises out of the corner of his mouth, "Why thank you, Aanash. We will make a deadly pair I am sure."

His little soliloquy done, he struts with a slight limp and a tired expression over to the others. "A fantastic tail, my thanks!" he announces.

The process that Svek undergoes is much less tame than his own - and even Aanash flinches at some of the noises coming out of the tortured kobold. But he shows no signs of disgust at the the lopsided creature that emerges, patting Svek on the crown of his head instead. "What a... trooper, they say? I hope you are as pleased as I am."

"I suppose we have plenty of things out there that still need fighting," he agrees passively with Adam, stretching his fingers and looking over his shoulder at an eager bladed tail tip jabbing at the air. "Thank you again for your hospitality and artistic talents, Master."

25. - Top - End - #685
    Ogre in the Playground

First Sergeant Honor
    Temp HP 0
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    5 / 6 d10 HD
    Lay on Hands- 0/30

Honor watches horrified as his allies are grafted with flesh from godsknowhere to their bodies. It may be hypocritical for someone as easily modified as him to question their decision, but if he were flesh... then the warforged shook that thought out of his head. "We have much to do. We should leave. Now."
    The Bear is Back.

26. - Top - End - #686
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Svek, Kobold Sorcerer | AC: 17 | HP: 40 +11 /62 | PP: 15 PIv: 10 PIs: 12
    Conditions: exhaustion 1

Svek walks out, tired but surprised that the surgery no longer hurts. In fact, his foot and eye have a barely noticeable, but pleasant, rippling sensation. It's not something he is willing to ever do again, but he's glad that he did it. But before he goes, he gives Escemizt a small ruby.

"Here, Master Escemizt. A small gift of thanks for you. Farewell, and good luck with your future artwork."
    Show

Show
    Kellar d'Kundarak
    rescue salvage crew
    Bring back documents

27. - Top - End - #687
    Titan in the Playground

"A̸ ̸s̵h̵a̸m̴e̸,̸ ̶b̵u̷t̴ ̵f̸e̵e̴l̴ ̷f̸r̶e̸e̴ ̴t̵o̶ ̷c̴o̵m̸e̵ ̷b̴a̶c̵k̸ ̷a̷n̷y̵t̴i̴m̷e̵.̷ ̸T̸h̸e̷r̴e̴'̶s̷ ̴a̸l̶w̴a̶y̸s̷ ̵m̷o̴r̴e̷ ̴t̶o̵ ̸f̴i̶x̷.̴"

Though the ever present threat of the artist's boredom remains, they nevertheless allow you to freely step away and leave uncontested. The beautiful elf and the two-faced creature give you only passing nods of acknowledgement, watching you closely as you leave.

You put some distance between yourselves and the macabre theatre, perhaps for peace of mind just as much as anything else. There's still plenty of the day remaining though, and so you opt to seek out additional treasures, trinkets and tribulations among the ruined buildings of the city.

And one desolate street proves as good as another when you're staying away from the warforged-occupied areas. Of the north side of the street, you spot a tavern (the Bard's Bar), a blacksmith, what looks like an artists exhibition, a shipping/courier warehouse, what may be a scribe's office, a furniture store, and a gambling hall.
    On the south side, two homes, a florists packed with dessiated and dead flowers, another tavern (Greyest of Geese), "Gerald's Adventuring Guild", Sunflower Books, and a pawn shop. Collapsed buildings are interspersed between these, but there doesn't seem much point in investigating piles of rubble - at least, not when there's standing buildings to look at instead.

Show

The party has only so much time in the day, especially if they want to head back to the undead camp for some safe resting.

Each building takes 60 minutes to to clear and requires either a Perception or Investigation check.

You can have multiple people search the same building to cut down on time, by splitting what you're looking at, but if one roll is bad then you may end up missing stuff.
    Two people in a building: 40 minutes
    Three people: 30 minutes
    Four people: 20 minutes.

If you're Helping, you're not cutting down on time either, so it'd be one person searching+one person helping=60 minutes for a building still, though you do get Advantage on the search roll.

Further, there may be dangers in one or more of the buildings, and splitting up could mean a delayed response from the rest of the party reaching you. Covering the maximum ground will require splitting up, but there's no guarantee it's safe.

If you want to get back to the undead camp without risking exhaustion from forced marching, you've got 2 hours of searching, though you could stay longer and either camp out here or risk the Consaves.

There's fourteen buildings listed, you'll have to pick and choose which ones to go for.

N1: Bard's Bar
    N2: Blacksmith
    N3: Artist's Exhibition(?)
    N4: Warehouse
    N5: Scribe's Office(?)
    N6: Furniture Store
    N7: Gambling Hall

S1: Home 1
    S2: Home 2
    S3: Florist
    S4: Greyest of Geese
    S5: "Gerald's Adventuring Guild
    S7: Sunflower Books
    S7: Pawn Shop

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

28. - Top - End - #688

BlueKnightGuy

Aanash
    AC: 19 HP: 38/63
    Conditions: Blindsense (10), Arcane Ward (5/5), Temp HP (5), Exhaustion (1)

"We should be certain to visit the book store," as they stand among the streets examining their options, Aanash voices his opinion. Perhaps not the one expected of him. The tiefling stretches his back, grimacing. The base of his spine is still a bit stiff. "Keep the prince happy, yes? He would want to recover Cyre's lost knowledge."

29. - Top - End - #689
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Svek, Kobold Sorcerer | AC: 17 | HP: 51 +0 /62 | PP: 15 PIv: 10 PIs: 12
    Conditions: exhaustion 1

Svek nods along to Aanash's suggestion. He doesn't have much interest in books and he's getting tired and wants to sleep for the night.

"OK. We can go there first. Then maybe this warehouse and the pawn shop over there."

He keeps looking at his reflection in the broken window glass, admiring his new eye and horns.
    Show
    Just giving help actions.

Show
    Kellar d'Kundarak
    rescue salvage crew
    Bring back documents
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2023-10-23 at 09:10 AM.

30. - Top - End - #690

GreenSorcererElf

Adam
    Human Cleric
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    Adam frowns at Aanash's and Svek's suggestions. "The bookstore is likely to not contain opposition, but anything found there is likely to be available outside of Cyre, thanks to printing presses. It would also be fairly bulky, and difficult to transport through the weather of the Mournlands. I would recommend that we split up into two teams of two, and search four locations in total. Aanash and I can search the Adventuring Guild, as it is the most likely to have hostile entities present, but between us, I am confident we will be able to prevail. I would suggest we follow up by checking the Warehouse, as it may well contain useful goods. Honor, I would suggest that you and Svek check the Scribe's Office and the Pawn Shop, as it is likely that the Scribe would have more records of interest than the bookstore. I could also call upon the gods to make a suggestion on one location, via an Augury."

Show

Don't Split the Party meets the ultimate challenge: Time limited looting!

Last edited by Archmage1; 2023-10-23 at 09:46 AM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings