New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Savage Tides: The Bullywug Gambit

Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    "Here, let me heal everybody first and I best check to see if you are infected with the disease that turns people into... well, these. Knowing we most likely would face disease, although we thought more the regular jungle kind, we stocked up on scrolls. So I can remove it before you turn into one of them, but we need some information. Like, what the hell is going on here?"
    The Captain nods and accepts the healing and a brief inspection. It's clear she's feverish, and from her wounds it looks like she was bitten at least a couple of times. She's handling it well, but likely suffering some Intelligence damage.

Quote Originally Posted by RCgothic View Post
    "We're looking for Vanthus Vanderboren, Captain." Cordelia responds earnestly, not catching Tillandi's subtleness.
    The explosion of profanity from Harliss Javell is as sudden as it is intense. "That son of a sea-sow, I'll cut his stones off and make him eat them raw! Mother rooting snobbish bloody f***ing cur, he and his b***h of a woman did this! What business is it ye have with them? Speak er I run ye all through!"

A moment later when Cordelia continues and makes it clear that the party are no friends of Vanthus Captain Javell seems to calm, a little, as she listens angrily to the others speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    "And some of us very much expected something like this. The details, clearly, left something to be determined, but our Vanthus is a bit too well-known for his departure from Sasserine to be free of turmoil...

By her words, it seems we've trapped the pour soul that once was Brissa Santos back in the previous chamber. 'Ounce of prevention,' and all, I'd rather help you than try to cure her...
    "
    "You have the gutter-tramp of a slut back there, eh? I'll slit her throat where she lies!" declares the woman as she begins to march purposefully in the direction the party came. A few steps into the caves she slows and sighs, turning back to the heroes. "By the Gods I'm tired. I'll kill her in a minute. First, help me right these chairs and tell you proper what happened. Seems the least you're owed...

All this ye see here,
    " the flamboyant woman says as she waves her hand at the slaughtered deformities, "and what nightmares ye must have fought through t'get t'me; twas all Vanthus Vanderboren's doing! That vomitous pig came t'me with his hussy 'n asked t'see our wares; made like he were a black marketeer lookin' fer some fur or scale t'move. Told him we had a ship coming in today what were full of exotica for him ta' shop, so he stayed on a few nights.

Seemed a fine enough chap, but then not an hour ago, he dumped a hold full of whale oil into the cove and lit it up! I was on the'Slippery Eel at the time, and that's when I caught the two of them on board, fixin t'rob me! Thrice-damned fools, trying to rob a Captain of the Crimson Fleet! For less than that you'd be keel-hauled!
    " Harliss Javell spits violently into the sand for emphasis. "Anyway, I stuck the fool in the arm, he yelped, and then as he ducked aside he dropped what he were tryin' t'rob - a black pearl the size of a big-bloke's balled fist. Was going to make some fair coin off that bauble, but as it fell it cracked like an egg. Some o'Vanthus' blood from my blade spattered the pearl and it boiled and flashed with an unnatural light...like St. Elmo's fire at sunset. Then foul, choking green gas started spewin from it, burning through wood and flesh like acid. I grabbed th'thing, ran up topside and threw it inta' the water, but as it struck, BAM! - it exploded..."

Shaking her head the Captain stands and looks around for a moment. "Come on - Kigante always kept some wine hidden in his lil' cave..." Captain Harliss says as she walks back to the chamber the party skipped as they rushed to her aid before. After a moment of rooting around she finds what she's looking for and pulls the cork out of the bottle with her teeth. After taking a long swig she sits down on the edge of the ruined bed.

Spoiler: Perception DC 15
    Show
    There is a fine rapier with a bronze hilt in the shape of a griffon underneath the bed. Upon further inspection it is obviously enchanted (+1 Rapier).

You have a moment to interject questions or commentary. You're doing well - I will need Aid Another checks on Firi'Sar's Diplomacy - you're working to improve a 24 right now.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Firi'Sar rights the chairs and follows dutifully, jotting down reminders in shorthand on a simple notepad he retrieved from a pocket. "And was that when all these poor fellows starting acting very much not quite alive?" he asks candidly. "If this disease comes from that shattered pearl, it raises as many questions as answers. We've seen them before- in the cellar of the Kellani estate," he adds as a reminder to his allies.

"Though how they might have been involved with such a prize before..." He pauses, pursing his lips in thought. "You say Vanthus was trying to rob you of this black pearl?" he asks. "It would be quite unfortunate for the thing to have a twin..."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Not a lot but banter. Firi'Sar sees the blade and his interest is duly piqued, but he's not foolish enough to risk offending this woman- at least not yet.

Potential knowledge checks, if names are important or this shattered pearl is of planar/arcane make:
    (1d20)[9] with free (1d6)[6] inspiration:
    Arcana, Dungeoneering, History, and Local are all +10
    Engineering, Geography, Nature, Nobility, Planes, and Religion are all +9

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Here, let me get rid of the disease you have in you from those bites," Tillandi said, taking out one of the scrolls and using it on the captain.
    "We'll have to be careful from now on," she said, "I have only one of them left."

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

caster level check: (1d20+4)[17] DC6

I'm not sure if healing her with like half of our remaining resources we have for doing so counts as helping diplomacy, but if so, here's the roll:
    aid another diplomacy: (1d20+6)[14] DC10

Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

"You think he might not have been turned already?" Cordelia asks. "I somehow doubt he'd have had better fortune than you."
    Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy (1d20+3)[9] aid other dc10

5. - Top - End - #215

NecromancerGuy

"And was that when all these poor fellows starting acting very much not quite alive?"
    Captain Javell nods as she sits and takes another drink straight from the bottle. She lets Firi'Sar continue with his questions as she offers everyone a swig.

It happens to be very fragrant, and strong, red wine. A pirate's treasure, with powerful fruity notes and a nutty finish. She also seems to take no notice of the rapier, as she appears to have one better...

"If this disease comes from that shattered pearl, it raises as many questions as answers. We've seen them before- in the cellar of the Rowani Kellani estate...Though how they might have been involved with such a prize before...You say Vanthus was trying to rob you of this black pearl? It would be quite unfortunate for the thing to have a twin..."
    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    "Rowyn Kellani" is the name you meant to use, @FarmerBink. I'll assume that's what Firi'Sar said.

Also, those Knowledge rolls won't help - too low.

"Aye - lots a' questions. Ye mentioned this 'Kellani' before, and I've heard the name. Bunch of black-hearted scabs before one of 'em settled down, became a 'noblewoman'...just a less honorable form of larceny, really.

I don' know o' twins, but I had one, he broke it...
    "

Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    "Here, let me get rid of the disease you have in you from those bites."
    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Healing her is specifically mentioned to give a sizable bonus to Diplomacy efforts!

The pirate captain sighs as her fever breaks, though she still looks like she could use some bedrest. "Thank ye. That's kinder than I expected of ye, seeing as you all fought well. Wouldn' make it long on me crew, but tha's another mark in yer favor..."

Quote Originally Posted by RCgothic View Post
    "You think he might not have been turned already?" Cordelia asks. "I somehow doubt he'd have had better fortune than you."
    "Vanthus? Nah - the bastard has a demon's luck. He's still hale, at least until I find him...

After breaking the pearl things got a bit weird, mind ye. A green mist filled my vision, and I felt strange. Like someone else were in my head. Someone...hungry? And the rage! Rage lke I never felt 'afore. And then, just like that, it were gone. Vanthus were on deck too by then, but he and I were the only humans left. That pearl, it did somethin' to me crew. Ta' Vanthus' little girly too! Turned them bad, like something ye might find in a net and throw back on account the sun got no purpose lookin' upon it. These things!
    " She kicks the remains of one of the deformed pirates in distaste. "Whatever were in that damnable pearl turned over three score men into...into man-eating freaks!

Vanthus, he seen what his friend and the rest turned into. He dove into th'water t'get away. I did the same, only I swam for shore. Found me first mate Drevoraz there. He'd resisted the change too, as had some others here and there, yet they were nothin' but the banquet for those things. We fought our way into th'caves and managed to hole up here with Captain Kigante, who keeps these caves for us. Only he's freak food now too - he got jumped by a mob of them not twenty minutes ago. Tore him apart like they was sharks!

But hey, you fought yer way in here! That means there ain't much left of them out there, yeah?
    " Harliss Javell asks, looking a bit hopeful in spite of her gruff exterior.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

"I don't think we've cleared all of the cave system, but I think we've been through most of it. And unless they were hiding somewhere there weren't any live ones on the beach as we entered. What do you plan to do now? If we can't find Vanthus then I think we need to take Ms Santos back to Sasserine. If we can get her healed maybe we can convince her to give up some of Vanthus' bolt holes to help us in our search"

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"And we have to search for more of those pearls," Tillandi said, "it's too dangerous to let those hang around. If there are more, we need to find them."

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Akula N'Kuttik "Shark Splitter"

Akula listens to the tale, holding back a scowl as she speaks of the hated Crimson Fleet as he recalls the skill with which she used her weapons on the pirates. Through the swearing he shakes his head sadly and nods to Firi'Sar and Tilandi. "We shall have to hurry back to the city and let Lavinia know that her brother managed to slip through our clutches. But he has caused chaos here."

He gestures towards the walls of the cave, "Th pearl in the sea was shattered, am I glad I did ot know that, I would not have picked it up. Let us hope he has no more". Looking back to the Captain he asks her more directly, "With the crew and all the residents here dead Captain, we will be bound for Sasserine, yet I'm not sure that you will want to return there with us?"

Show

M NG Darfellan Brawler (Beast Wrestler)// Inquisitor (Sanctified slayer / Keeper of the Current), Level 4 // 4, Init 4, HP 18/37, Speed 20ft Land / 40ft Swim
    AC 16, Touch 11, Flat-footed 15, CMD 19, = 16
    Fort 6, Ref 5, Will 7, CMB +8, Base Attack Bonus 4
    Unarmed +8 (+6/6) (1d8+5, x2)
    Grapple on a critical, has rope to control enemy MW Harpoon (50ft Rope) +9 (1d8+6, x3)
    CL DC17+SL, DC 22 escape or DC 25 Str, Snag Net (Trip (does 1+ damage)) +8 (touch) (Entangled, -)
    Leather Lamellar w/Armour spikes (+7 1d6+4/19-20 x2 P) MW Shark scale Armour, In combat (+8 1d6+4/ 19-20 x 2 P) MW Klar (+4 Armor, +1 Shield, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 19, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 8
    Condition None

Condition/Effects
    Martial Flexibility (3/5 remaining):

Traits: +1 unarmed damage, +1 Dam vs [Aquatic], +1 hit [Aquatic]

Spells inf / 0/4 / 1/2 Remaining
    0: Light, Detect Magic, Sift, Guidance, Create Water, Detect Poison
    1st: Divine Favour, Protection From Evil, Nature's Path, Cure Light
    2nd: Tactical Acumen, Invisibility

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Firi'Sar coughs quietly to interject, facing Akula. "We'll need to head back, but I don't see the hurry," the lithe man murmurs. "Besides, we still don't actually know where Vanthus went. One man can't sail a ship, and it seems like this incident with the pearl didn't care much for loyalties. Luck be damned, if Vanthus' crew survived and he sailed away, likelier than not he planned the whole thing from the outset- makes him more than just a little more dangerous than we might have thought..." He ponders for a few moments in silence before speaking again.

"At barest minimum, we need to thoroughly scour these caves. He's one to hole up until the danger's passed, I wager." He turns to Javell again. "Unless you've got insight into his plans better than we? One way or another, he's got crimes to answer for, and I'm not keen to return to Sasserine empty handed."

10. - Top - End - #220

NecromancerGuy

There are several points where Captain Javell looks like she's about to interrupt, but at the end of Firi'Sar's question she explodes loudly. "That cur will learn what it is t'foul my business! Th'Vanderboren name is no secret to me! He's got family in Sasserine, that dunghill of a city! I already sent me right hand, Drevoraz, t'deal with Vanthus! He's on his way as we speak! Vanthus, and his whole foul family, will answer for what he did here! Cross the Crimson Fleet and we take everything in your life from ye - best not forget that!"

A moment after she finishes speaking it looks like Harliss Javell realizes all the PCs have been saying and she says, a bit quieter, "Wait a sec...ye say that Vanthus ain't in good with his sister? What about his folks? If I sent me crew to kill an innocent woman...well, we'll have to do something to stop that...damn it!" The pirate captain begins to remove one of her marilith earrings, handing it to Firi'Sar. "You're going to have to hurry - no time to clear out this hellhole. Get back to save the little lady. This earring is the only thing that will stop my men from trying to finish what I told them - Drevoraz is trustworthy, if a pirate...I'm sorry - I can't come with ye, but I'll clean out this mess. Will ye be leaving Vanthus' woman? If ye do, I'll be killing her - more of a mercy than letting her starve, and I won't be feeding her..."

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Akula looks at the Pirate Captain. "You sent a pirate to kill Lavinia!", he looks at the others and gestures back at the way they had come. "Back, we need to get back to the boat and sail back to the city to stop this Drevoraz." At mention of Brissa he shrugs and looks to the others. "We can drag her back with us if she needs be."

Show

M NG Darfellan Brawler (Beast Wrestler)// Inquisitor (Sanctified slayer / Keeper of the Current), Level 4 // 4, Init 4, HP 18/37, Speed 20ft Land / 40ft Swim
    Grapple on a critical, has rope to control enemy MW Harpoon (50ft Rope) +9 (1d8+6, x3)
    CL DC17+SL, DC 22 escape or DC 25 Str, Snag Net (Trip (does 1+ damage)) +8 (touch) (Entangled, -)
    Leather Lamellar w/Armour spikes (+7 1d6+4/19-20 x2 P) MW Shark scale Armour, In combat (+8 1d6+4/ 19-20 x 2 P) MW Klar (+4 Armor, +1 Shield, +1 Dex)
    Condition None

Condition/Effects

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"If we're going to take her with us, we best cure her from that disease," Tillandi said, "that makes it a lot safer to put her on the ship. Oh, there's a room a bit further where there's three ... well, dogs with the same disease or something like it. They're chained, which is why we've ignored them for now, but they will need to be put down."

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

"Our rented boat is on the beach overland," Cordelia points out.

"Whilst I'm inclined to be merciful to miss Santos if only for interrogation potential, unless there's an alternative option here in the bay I don't fancy dragging a prisoner back to it in a hurry. Even so we'd need to collect it if we don't want to pay a loss waiver, although given the urgency perhaps lady Vanderboren would not be too upset to cover us for that if we can reach her in time to save her from Drevoraz!"

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Firi'Sar murmurs quietly, eyes half closed as he considers the path here. "Hells, we may already be too late." He reaches out to take the earring, carefully sealing it in a buttoned pocket. "Is there a seaworthy vessel in the bay? It'll be hours overland to where we left ours that we don't have to spare. Brissa's of no value with you to share information. We've already learned more than I imagine she could share anyway...." He frowns deeply, obviously unhappy with the conclusions he's drawn.

"Hate to leave her to her fate, but we just can't afford to waste any time."

Show
    If Javell largely gets moving, Firi'Sar will attempt to steal the rapier without making her aware. If she doesn't, he'll ask her who's property it is by right, and if the person named is dead, he'll move to *ahem* repurpose it.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Healing her will only take a few moments," Tillandi said, "and I think there was one ship in the bay, but I'm not sure if we can run it with just our group. Some of us can sail, but there's a difference between that and being a good sailor. I think we best move to our own ship as quickly as possible. We have to bring that one back and we know we can handle it."

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

"If there's a ship in the bay then I'd rather take Brissa than leave her," Cordelia agrees with Tillandi.

"I think I can get Kitten to understand the basics of sailing, or at least which ropes to haul and when. She's been picking things up really quickly recently and shouldn't have much trouble helping out under guidance. Proud of you girl!" Cordelia praises her companion with a scritch between the ears to appreciative noises from the large cat.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Akula nods and looks at Harliss. "As you've helped cause this, can you help us sail back to the city. Once there go where you will if you wish. We will not mention to the port authorities about your affiliations." About Brissa he shrugs, "We may as well take her with us. If the fever is cured we can make sure she stays unconscious whilst we travel and then we can hand her over to the city watch." He motions to the exit hoping he can sail well enough to get them back,

Show

Condition None

Condition/Effects

18. - Top - End - #228

NecromancerGuy

Captain Javell looks a bit incredulous at the idea of the large cat helping to sail and shakes her head at Akula's suggestion. "I won't be sailing to Sasserine, but I will try to help you get the Sea Wyvern into shape to sail. Come on then!" she says definitively as she stomps forward, out of the ruined chamber.

When the pirate sees Brissa Santos, unconscious and bound on the floor of the nearby tunnel she scoffs, ignoring the woman and walking past. She goes into the chamber with the savage krenshars and casually kills all three with contemptuous swipes of her rapier - their fearsome visages apparently not enough to even impress the woman. From there she heads south through the hall of hanging, ruined silk and to the beach.

It's up to the PCs if you wish to collect any additional treasure from the trophy cave, which Harliss Javell passes without concern. Write it into your post, please.

Spoiler: The Sea Wyvern
    Show

At the sandy, secluded cove the groups finds the Sea Wyvern easily enough - it's the only ship still in one piece after the devastation, untouched by the oily fire that has largely consumed the others. The caravel has three masts and is decorated with stylized figures of a wyvern, the dragon-like creature's barbed tail raised over its back as though ready to strike its enemies. Sails, carvings along the hull, and the figurehead all match, with the powerful creature in various positions. The figurehead is a real piece of work, the wyvern's wings unfurled and crouching at the prow. It's clear the ship has seen some combat, with some scratches and dents visible. A single huge claw mark rakes across the starboard hull, deliberately left as a battle scar. Even the ship's wheel is designed to represent a dozen-headed wyvern-like beast.

It's a beautiful, well-built ship to have avoided the ravages of the last several hours, but it is also large enough to be intimidating. This is a serious sailing vessel, intended for seven sailors at a minimum. "I don't know what stories you've heard, but a ship this size would be tough to sail with five or six. We can see about securing the lines so that just the four of you can manage - if you don't run into any trouble on the way," Harliss Javell says as she climbs a rope ladder on the side of the ship. "Getting her free of the sand is just a matter of waiting for high tide - she'll float free enough if you draw up the anchors. I can help you get through the inlet to the Cove there," she points at the narrow break in the rocks that leads to the open sea of Blood Bay. "From there I will leave you to the seas and your own lucky grit. For now, let's see what we can do..."

To prepare the ship to sail with only four (five with Kitten) sailors will require four DC 30 Profession (Sailor) checks. You can try these multiple times and aid another on the efforts, but if you fail by more than ten five times before success you will have jammed something, causing a delay of several hours and missing high tide. A second round of checks is possible every twelve hours until you succeed or give up. Captain Harliss Javell will not perform the checks, but she automatically succeeds at Aid Another and adds +4 to your checks.

If you decide to move on and use your own, rented ship instead just let me know. Otherwise Captain Javell will likely pay you for it and use it to make her own escape from the area, leaving you all to carry on the adventure without her.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tillandi will take as much as possible from the trophy room and any other rooms they pass by. If they're going to take the big ship in the bay, they have some extra time to get all that stuff onboard and the ship should be able to handle it. She will tell Captain Javell where their own, smaller ship is, which can be sailed by one person if he/she knows what she's doing, which the captain does.

And then it's up to prepping stuff. She will take off her heavy armour as it's safer onboard without it and will try to get the ship underway, with Akula, whom she knows is a good sailor, as her second in command. Kitten can't do much, but even if holding a few ropes while the others are in the top of the ship setting the sails, it will be some help.

Show

I'll do 10 rolls, just to have a back-up for the inevitable failure, but if we calculated correctly, I needed to roll a 10 if all the aid another checks came out correct. I'm not sure if we're allowed to take 10. If I am, I'll do that, if not, here are the rolls:

(1d20+10)[13] with a few aid another checks, this is certainly not a critical failure)
    (1d20+10)[30] success without aid another
    (1d20+10)[27] success with the aid of the good captain
    (1d20+10)[15] with a few aid another checks, this is certainly not a critical failure)
    (1d20+10)[29] success with the aid of the good captain
    (1d20+10)[28] success with the aid of the good captain
    (1d20+10)[12]
    (1d20+10)[24]
    (1d20+10)[19]
    (1d20+10)[26]

Last edited by farothel; 2023-09-25 at 11:54 AM.

20. - Top - End - #230

NecromancerGuy

It takes the party about two hours to make ready, but the Sea Wyvern sets sail and somewhat clumsily heads towards Sasserine. It's clear to anyone with experience that the ship will handle quite well when properly manned, but that in the meanwhile the alterations they've made will have to do. The adventurers take turns in the crows nest, manning the helm, and handling the sails, but they make good time. As they arrive the western sky is beginning to show the approach of evening, leaving the party to see the entire city in the throes of what looks like a massive party!

After a moment of thought the PCs all realize that this must be the first annual "Wormfall" celebration - a gigantic affair involving troupes of trained acrobats, marching bands, garish costumes, and more in homage of a group of mighty heroes who fought off an apocalyptic cult a year ago. There are effigies of wormy monsters and undead enemies on floats constructed in the image of enormous segmented worms and shrouded skulls. Kits of green worms borne on sticks and strings dance in the air above the rooftops as green lanterns are lit to burn through the night. The streets are crowded with people, which will like make navigating a path to the Vanderboren manor a challenge.

You all realize that finding a dock during the festivities will be challenging. Your best bet may be to return to the merchant from whom your rented your little skiff ("It Still Floats!" in the Shadowshore district, very close to O4 or Shadowshore 23 on the Sasserine map) and rent a spot until you can find a better place to moor the Sea Wyvern. Unfortunately that isn't very close to your destination.

Spoiler: Sasserine, from the Savage Tides Player's Guide
    Show
    Check out the details and map here.

Please give me a rough idea of your route from wherever you wish to try and moor the ship - to include leaving it at anchor and swimming to the shore - that will take you to Vanderboren Manor (F8 or Merchant 79 on the big map).

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

As they arrived in Sasserine, Tillandi, who had the wheel at the moment, looked at the others.
    "Does anybody know where we can put the ship," she asked, "preferably as close as possible to the island we have to be on, even if we have to stay in the middle of the bay. It might even be safer to do that.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Akula shrugs, "Drop anchor in the bay near the island. We can swim to shore. Near the Gondola station, we may be able to hail one to carry us from ship to shore or just swim..."" he suggest gazing ito the wdie bay of Sasserins harbour as the night is lit up by the lanterns and plumes of green smoke celebrating the Wormfall.

Show

Suggesting dump the boat just north of the merchant distract near #43/67 and then we can run across the merchant district.
    Saves us having to sail around the busy harbour to the south edge o the merchant district which would be slow and we may crash

Condition None

Condition/Effects

[/QUOTE]

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

"But we have a row boat," Cordelia points out as Akula suggests swimming. "If we leave the Sea Wyvern in the bay we can row to Blue Skink Lane and save having to organise a gondola. I'd be surprised if anyone bothered with harbour enforcement during the festival as long as we're back by morning. The watch and harbourmaster will have other things to worry about today. Not the least being the aftermath of a pirate attack on the Vanderboren estate!"
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2023-10-01 at 01:30 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

As the party begins their departure, Firi'Sar makes a pointed effort of watching Javell's (dis)interest in the rapier before snatching it up. "Wouldn't do leaving such a beautiful thing here to rust. Wouldn't do at all," he murmurs, gently nestling it among his own belongings.

On board the Wyvern, it rapidly becomes apparent that Firi'Sar is at best... not very helpful. After a few moments where he finds himself wondering if it might actually be more valuable if he understood less of the words and thereby was less likely to be in the way of someone who knew what they were doing, he hops back ashore and helps to scrounge up all the valuables he can. Distinctly overburdened with a small chest of coin, he makes his way back aboard still several minutes before the tide looses the ship in earnest. "We'll have to buy that other ship when we reconcile the differences," he mutters, by way of explanation.

Fortunately, it takes no keen mastery of ropes, knots, sails, jibs, booms, or any other affair to climb a mast and keep watch from above. For most of the trip back to Sasserine, the lithe Elf peers into the distance, offering the first warning of the complications served by the festival. "It's imperative we reach Lavinia before our friend," he calls as he descends to the deck. "Let's row ashore from here in the harbor, and make our way across." Nodding to Cordelia, Firi'Sar essentially seconds her suggestion. "Akula, do you care to haul the chest or shall we try to hide it somewhere aboard?"

25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tillandi slowly steered the ship into the bay, going towards the island they had to be on, but staying out a little bit further just to be sure. There she had the sails reeved and the anchor dropped.
    "We'll best take the chest with use, if we're going to leave the ship here."

26. - Top - End - #236

NecromancerGuy

As the Arabani Manor - a well-known landmark in the Merchant District - becomes visible, the lighthouse on the northernmost shore of the private island clearly warning ships away from the rocky spit of land, the party scrambles to try and drop anchor safely. It takes several minutes, though they aren't accosted by any port-police for their unusual berthing location. Once the Sea Wyvern is secure and won't drift away, the party drops the ship's longboat into the water and makes for the shore.

While the idea of rowing all the way to the Vanderboren Manor would be nice, the bridges connecting the islands of the Merchant district are very low, with too little overhead to row beneath them. Knowing this, the party secures their craft to the docks near the Riverman's Guildhall, tosses a coin to the only poor soul watching the pier in during the festival, and begins to try and make their way through the crowds south towards their destination.

Up the street you can see a massive float-wagon shrouded in wriggling paper-mache worms bearing a huge humanoid form rolling slowly towards the PCs. There are nearby taverns with raucous, joyous people eating, drinking, dancing, and having a good time. The noise is distracting - between fireworks, music, and voices it's all but impossible to tell what is happening more than several yards away. The PCs can see a troop of acrobats, all walking on ten-foot high stilts and led by a lovely woman in a form-fitting, macabre black bodysuit decorated with a white skeleton. They are entertaining with some juggling, minor acrobatics, leaps, and so on as they drift in the direction of the PCs, slowly.

They've not gone more than about fifty feet before a loud, clearly drunken, high-pitched voice slurs at Akula, "Hey! Watch where you're going, you big lout! " A moment later a gnome bumps into the Darfellan, clearly intent on starting trouble. "What? You think you can run me over cause I'm small! I'll show you, you rude, oversized mongrels!" squeaks the little man as he begins rolling up his sleeves. Before either the gnome or Akula can act a half-orc slips between them, the large man's tusks bared in an embarrassed effort to smile.

"Please, excuse my friend here - he's had a bit too much ale..." starts the half-orc before the gnome yells again.

"Kurgol, get out of the way! They hit me! Don't defend them!"

With the crowds and the gnome, it looks like there could be trouble. While the gnome doesn't look frightening, the half-orc carries some scars, suggesting that he's seen his fair share of real fights. It's hard to tell with the lights and the noise, but it also wouldn't look good for the PCs to start a fight - the Watch would not appreciate that...

A quick, simple encounter - what do you do? If you intend some social skills, go ahead and roll them with your post!

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Cordelia

Typical festival nonsense. Cordelia adopts her best Cloudcrystal Academy haughtiness and peers down her nose at the insolent gnome.

"We're carrying an urgent message to the Vanderboren estate. Move aside this instant or I'll call the guards!" she bluffs with no intention of actually doing so.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff (1d20+10)[26]
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2023-10-08 at 01:04 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tillandi made sure the symbol of Procan, a well known god around here, was very visible. She just stood next to Cordelia and just nodded, holding out a 'message', one of her scrolls (not that drunks would see the difference).

Show

I'll do an aid another action on bluff to help Cordelia. I'm not sure if my 'message' will give a bonus, but I haven't added that in. Just add the appropriate modifiers where needed.

(1d20+1)[14] DC10
    EDIT: that's an extra +2 to Cordelia's roll
    Last edited by farothel; 2023-10-09 at 12:30 PM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Firi'Sar's eyes narrow suspiciously. Fully expecting the Gnome to be covering for either his own attempt to pickpocket Akula or the illicit plans of another petty thug nearby, he keeps his peace while trying to suss out the ploy.

Show
    Start with perception and sense motive, almost certainly with inspiration regardless:
    Perception (1d20+18)[34] + (1d6)[2]
    sense motive (1d20+12)[14] +(1d6)[1]

Could go for more depending results?

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Akula scowls as he pushes through the crowd, harpoon being used as a quarter staff to help clear a path. As the gnome and the half orc jostle and impede him he takes a step back, arm up to warn them away, the fins on the back of his head rising slightly in irritation. "I don't want trouble, but by the water lord we have a place to be" he adds, long orca-like grin baring his teeth to warn them away.

Show

Sense motive (1d20+11)[30]
    Intimidate (1d20+8)[23]

Condition None

Condition/Effects