Aergid
    Silver Dragon Wyrmling
    AC 17, HP DEAD /45
    PP: 14 PIv: 11 PIs: 12
    Bite +6 1d10+4
    Breath 15' cone 4d8 DC13 Con Recharge 5-6
    Paralyzing 15' cone DC13 Con paralyzed 1 minute
    DEAD!!!!!

Leaf looks to Abela to see if she is ok with Ragefest's proposal. He thinks we shouldn't leave the wizard alone with her and that he might just chain her up again, but he defers that decision to her. Anyway, before he gets a chance to do anything, he feels the brand on his forehead burn away and then everything goes black for a second.

He shakes his head and looks around, unsure of how much time has passed, seeing several of the others have similar reactions to his.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Wisdom (1d20+1)[18]

Spoiler: notes
    Show
    Commander Scar, Flaming Fist
    Dabron Sashenstar, Merchant's League
    Ragefest, wizard
    Abela, nymph
    Ramazith, wizard that Ragefest doesn't trust.
    Aldeth Sashenstar, Dabron's brother
    Halbazzar Drin, owner of Sorcerous Sundries
    Vivian/Ninian, sister to the others
    Lieutenant Angelo Dosan, jerk Flaming Fist
    Bounties

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Crisis Pt3 IC

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 15 HP: 56/59
    PP: 18 PIv: 10 PIs: 18
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    8 / 8 d8 HD
    Spell Slots- 4/4 1st, 3/3 2nd, 1/3 3rd, 1/2 4th
    1/2 Wildshape

Caelyn stumbled for a moment, blinking and rubbing at her forehead as the magic of the mark dissipated. Once her head had cleared, she continued to wince and turned to address Abela and Ragefast. "There are worse devotions in one's life than love, but devotion can become toxic and rabid if it damages yourselves or the people around you. I hope you can reach a greater balance together and enjoy each other in harmony." Then she turned to her allies. "Our task seems to be done. I have some stalls I'd like to make inquiries at before the day is done."
    The Bear is Back.

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Grok
    Dwarf Paladin 8
    AC: 20 HP: 86/86 PP: 10 PIv: 9 PIs: 10
    SR 1/2, Conditions:

Grok grunts as the surge of energy roars through his brain, conveying a kick like good dwarven spirits, but without the fun. Shaking his head to clear it, he speaks up after Caelyn. "Time to go, I think." He looks about, to see if there were any better exits.

Last edited by Archmage1; 2024-02-27 at 05:00 PM.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Titan in the Playground

Abela seems unconcerned - perhaps even happy - with Ragefast's proposal. Certainly, there is no trust lost from her now that he has, it seems, seen the light and promised her return to nature. The wizard tugs a rapidly-grown grimoire from one of his robe sleeves and mutters a few words, and the world vanishes from you, before swiftly reappearing outside his house, on his porch.
    "And don't come back." You hear the wizard's Tressym familiar remark, before the door slams shut. Peering up at the home to its highest point, you see a flash of magic...and then nothing, because of course there wouldn't be. All you have now is to trust that Ragefast will do as he said.

Unless you have Senna expend a Sending spell to contact Abela. Having access to instantaneous communication across potentially thousands of miles does have its perks.

Show

"Defeating" Ragefast by diplomacy instead of combat still satisfies as defeating him, and as he would have been a Deadly encounter that earns you a cool 15 experience points, plus a bonus 5 for rescuing Abela without her dying in the crossfire.

What now?
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Iron Crisis Pt3

Cheerful Sam | Grepha
    Half-Dragon Warlock/Bard | Imp Warlock
    AC: 12 HP: 62/62 | AC: 13 HP: 32/32
    PP: 10|13 PIv: 15|12 PIs: 11|13
    --- | Raven Form, Blinded

Ragefast's Keep

"I should report back to Sudil," Sam gently declines joining them. There's much too much to do in the Gate to go off with some wild wizard. Giving Grok a nod, he smiles at the dwarf. "It's good we did things right-" the sudden wave of the sigils being dismissed causes him to stagger, and he shakes his head clear.

"Thank you kindly," Grepha states. "I agree. I am tired." The shadowy smoke disappears from around the bird. She could use some rest and restoration.

After Leaving

"Just to clarify, I have been blinded by the fey visage," the imp announces once they are back out on the lawn. The sight had certainly been glorious enough to sear her eyes, but it seems the only emotion it evoked was irritation. "If Senna has any spare restoration, I would appreciate it. Wherever she is."

"Maybe our new friend could help too," Sam suggests, tucking away the pearls. "I'm going to go report in to her. Does anyone else want to come-" he stops and holds up a finger towards Leaf. "But no kleptomania, alright?"
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2024-02-28 at 06:08 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Leaf
    Tabaxi Rogue 8
    AC: 17 HP: (46)/(55) 63
    PP: 18 PIv: 15 PIs: 14
    HD: 8/8d8
    Restrain: 2/3 Dawn
    Conditions: slimy doom -1 CON
    Aergid
    Silver Dragon Wyrmling
    AC 17, HP DEAD /45
    Bite +6 1d10+4
    DEAD!!!!!

Leaf laughs at Sam's admonition. Leaf wasn't the one who took anything from Ragefest's house, but he acknowledges the reputation.

"I can keep my hands to myself. But if there is anything you want while we're there, just point it out to me and I'll see what I can do."

He's ready to go with Sam if the Dragonborn will trust him.

Show

Show
    Ragefest, wizard
    Abela, nymph
    Bounties

7. - Top - End - #1057

GreenSorcererElf

Grok
    Dwarf Paladin 8
    SR 1/2, Conditions: Branded

Grok nods at Sam's proposed next action. "Best to not risk temptation, and to complete our task without getting sticky fingers. I'm glad you agree." He looks down at the rather pitted and stained face of his magnificent armor. "I, however, need to see a smith about some repairs."
    Show

Fluff, since, well, I think we're out of actionable tasks currently?

Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

8. - Top - End - #1058

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha
    --- | Raven Form

Raising his head with a small measure of draconic pride, Sam declares, "There is no shame in confiscating dangerous materials from the wicked. But taking from good people is unkind, and can wound your soul." Though nothing was said about his actions, he still seems to feel the need to defend them.

As Senna's spell washes the blindness from Grepha's eyes, she stretches her wings and hops back onto Sam's shoulder pad. "Whether this noble is 'good people' remains to be seen," she voices skeptically. "She is shrewd and experienced. And that makes for a useful friend, but one that should be kept at arm's length until you are an equal. Lest you be viewed as a pawn." Sam clears his throat, and Grepha rolls her eyes. "... Thank you, Senna."

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    8 / 8 d8 HD
    1/2 Wildshape

Caelyn rubbed at a sore muscle that she swore was leftover from her ape form. "You're right, Sam. We should clean up as much of this affair as we can tonight. If people want to press on to do MORE combat and killing and investigation this evening I am prepared to, but judging by the hour I'd much prefer to find a safe inn and strike out with the daytime. I may also be bias, as the idea of more sewer water running into my boots is repulsive to me right now."
    The Bear is Back.

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Titan in the Playground

With night still clinging around you on Ragefast's chilly porch, you opt to find an inn to rest and recuperate, hoping that a good night's sleep will help alleviate some of the aching goopiness that still resides in Leaf and Senna's joints.

Show

Long rest received, update sheets accordingly.

What you awaken to still in the early hours of morning when the city is still equally waking itself is not quite what you expected though. Your rooms in the inn, private though they are, are all subjected to the synchronised knocking, followed by equally synchronised voices calling out in loud, authoritative tones.
    "Flaming Fist. By order of the city, open the door."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Leaf
    Tabaxi Rogue 8
    AC: 17 HP: 63/ 63
    Restrain: 3/3 Dawn
    Conditions:
    Aergid
    Silver Dragon Wyrmling
    AC 17, HP DEAD /45
    Bite +6 1d10+4
    DEAD!!!!!

Sleeping soundly in his armor (he'd learned that lesson the hard way), Leaf awakens with a startle at the knock on the door and the Flaming Fist yelling at him. He takes a moment to put on his belt and pack, slinging his bow on his back. Once he is ready, he opens the door, with empty hands and a smile on his face.

"Good morning gentlemen. How can I help you?"

He looks around to see if the others have risen as well, and does a quick assessment of the potential threat here.

Show
    I read this as we all had our own rooms. If we were sharing rooms, he'd wait until the others are ready.
    CON save (1d20+6)[24] (includes Grok's aura)

Show
    Ragefest, wizard
    Abela, nymph
    Bounties
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2024-03-05 at 04:10 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1062

GreenSorcererElf

Grok
    Dwarf Paladin 8
    SR 2/2, Conditions: Branded

Woken early in the morning by the unwelcome light of the sun, Grok starts the time consuming process that all dwarves enjoy, putting on his armor. Inconveniently, he's about halfway done when a loud knock slams into the door, and a piercing bellow of sound emits through it. He looks down at his carefully arranged armor plates, and back at the door, before bellowing back. "Mind if I finish gettin' dressed first? What's this about?"

Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Sam, the Night Before
    Show

The return to Suldil's estate in the city takes a bit of time in the cold city streets, forcing you to wrap your cloak tighter against the chill. The same old butler greets you and invites you inside, though thankfully you're not asked to meet Suldil out in the open this time, and are instead lead to a small meeting room.
    The half-elf arrives a few minutes later, clearly somewhat surprised at your return so quickly and though she's no longer dressed for spellcasting practice, she still carries the air of power about her. Her greeting is nevertheless as polite as expected, offering you a drink or a pastry at your leisure, as expected of a noble host.
    Once the requirements of etiquette are dealt with, she settles back in her chair.
    "So then, how did it go?"

The Party, Present Day

Leif's open door reveals a figure that is clearly the Flaming Fist, decked out in full plate, though there are more adornments and pomp to their armour than the rank-and-file receive. Indeed, they appear to be elite, offering a far more deadly air than those you saw patrolling the streets, or even those in the barracks.
    "Your presence is requested downstairs. Immediately. Make yourself ready."
    They do not move from their position at the door, seemingly intent a vigilant watch.

To Grok, they issue the same words, albeit through his door, where he cannot see how elite they are, merely hear them.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    8 / 8 d8 HD
    1/2 Wildshape

Caelyn, having become aware from her trance some hours before, is already armed, armored, and ready to leave. She nods to these elite Fists, gauging them as not to be trifled with. "Requested? How polite. I am ready to go downstairs, but who will we be meeting with? Is it to be a surprise?"
    The Bear is Back.

15. - Top - End - #1065

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha
    --- | Spider Form, Invisible

The Night Before

Following the butler into the manor this time, Sam looks around with mild interest at the decor. He'd not been any too many manors, besides the Silvershield Estate. Candlekeep had its own sort of grandiosity, but it was a keep and a library at its foremost, not a mansion. Taking a seat in the meeting room, he can't help but feel out of place, hands folded in his lap and wings against his back, afraid to knock something over. Grepha remains peched on his shoulder, looking around with more intent to gauge the woman's choice of furnishings and art.

"Thank you," Sam smiles when offered a pastry, accepting one happily. His mood has visibly improved since their last meeting, as he breaks off a piece to share with Grepha. "Sorry to come by so late! It went well, actually. Well, as well as can be expected. More than expected," he rambles a bit, taking the pearl necklace from his bag and setting it on the tea table. "You were right about Ragefast, he was pretty soundly enchanted by the nymph. What I didn't expect is, she was pretty taken with him too. With her help, we were able to convince him to build a new tower somewhere that won't slowly kill her."

"Or she's luring him out to kill him, who knows with fey," his familiar comments cynically. "I could not see how genuine she seemed, on account of the fey," she adds, with a dribble of venom.

"You're just being pessimistic. I hope things go well for them," taking a sip of his drink, Sam smiles. "Anyways, they were both fine and happy when we left, and we got the pearls for your dragon friend. I'd call that a double-win."

The Morning

Lying with half his face stuffed into his pillow, Sam grumbles when the door is banged on, then flails and falls out of bed when the authoritative shout comes afterwards. He rolls towards his bag and instinctively begins to panic, thinking something is going wrong. He's not in his armor, not that it offers much better protection than his scales, when he pulls the pack on and peeks out of the door through the lock chain.

"Uuuh, be right out," he answers the elite Fist officers' command, stepping back inside to get dressed. For her part, Grepha has already shifted into a less noticeable form and vanished, hidden. They emerge and make their way groggily downstairs soon after.

16. - Top - End - #1066

GreenSorcererElf

Grok
    Dwarf Paladin 8

Grok snorts, before responding. "Good to see you have some respect for Magmaforge!" With that, he continues putting on his formal clothing, collects his glaive, and heads out, to descend the stairs.

Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Titan in the Playground

Show

"A happy ending for the both of them, though I suppose this means I'll need to source a new purveyor of esoteric items." She doesn't sound overly distraught, though there's the slight sigh of an inconvenience that would need to be addressed another day. For the moment though she takes up the pearls, scrutinising them and apparently finding them acceptable. She hands them off to the butler, who seems equally taken with them before he retreats and leaves the room.

"I promised a magical cloak from my stores as a reward, and I keep my word." From a seemingly extradimensional pocket she retrieves a striking cloak woven of purples that gradiate down into pinks, a striking, eye-catching, and yet regardless of fashion sense somehow attractive piece of outerwear. "A merchant to the south used its magics for less-than-appropriate means. He's now paying for his crimes in a way that benefits society in a way he did not. I just hope that the cloak will serve you better than it did him."

Spoiler: Cloak
    Show

Algernon's Cloak
    Wondrous Item (Cloak), Rare (Requires attunement)
    Algernon was a merchant of significant repute, but much of his power came from his cloak. When attuned to it, your charisma score is increased by +2, to a maximum of 20. In addition you may cast Charm Monster with a DC16 without somatic or material components. You may do so once, with this power refreshing at dawn.

The Party, Present Day

"Not for us to discuss." The guard replies shortly to Caelyn's question. Eventually, once dressed, you're all coralled down into the main room of the tavern, which you find decidedly emptied out both of customers and staff. The only ones here are your own party, a total of seven Flaming Fist elites, and three others. One you recognise immediately - Scar, seen out from behind his desk for the first time since you met him.

The second is a halfling woman of middling age, dressed in robes and clutching a staff tipped by a clearly magical gemstone. The third an equally aged human male, clad neck-to-toe in full plate emblazoned with the Flaming Fist sigil. Carefully cut short hair and keen features mark him as a man of riches - likely nobility - while his tanned skin blemished only by pale cuts and scars tell the tale of a battle-tested warrior, albeit one perhaps whose best fighting days have succumbed to time.

He looks you over quietly, then glances at Scar. "These are them?" His voice carries just a tinge of a familiar, yet unusual accent.
    "They are." Scar replies. The unnamed man holds for a beat, and the nods to Scar, who steps forward and addresses you with a curt, authoritative voice. "You are in the presence of Duke Eltan Silvershield, Leader of the Flaming Fist, and a member of the Lord's Alliance. Conduct yourselves accordingly."
    Duke Eltan continues, without giving you chance to properly process just who is in front of you. "My time is precious, so I will be brief. Scar has told me you have the capacity to get things done and your concerns about the Iron Throne. I believe they have merit, but lack the ability to move without hard evidence. I want you to infiltrate their Headquarters in the city and find evidence of their wrongdoing directly."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Leaf
    Tabaxi Rogue 8
    Conditions:
    Aergid
    Silver Dragon Wyrmling
    AC 17, HP DEAD /45
    Bite +6 1d10+4
    DEAD!!!!!

Leaf does his best not to offend the Duke. He's seen enough to get the customs almost right, but always doubts himself around royalty, at least male royalty. He's pretty comfortable sneaking into a princess' bedroom. After the required bows and nods, he asks his questions.

"Thank you, sir. We've wanted to do this, but didn't want to upset the Flaming Fist, so it's great to see we're all on the same page. I have a couple questions."

"First, when you say infiltrate, do you mean sneak in at night and steal documents or do you mean for us to pretend to work for them and see what we can get them to tell us? The latter will be much more difficult and will take much longer."

"Second, we witnessed them take two powerful artifacts into their headquarters - The Elixir of Time and Vulkoor's Headdress. Those could be trouble for us with our limited equipment. If there is anything the Fist might be able to loan us that would help our chances, we would be grateful, sir. Or even just a credit at Sorcerous Sundries."

Show

Show
    Ragefest, wizard
    Abela, nymph
    Bounties
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2024-03-07 at 11:58 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1069

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha

The Night Before

Trying on the new cloak, Sam takes off his wolfish, heavier one for now. The Mistake is pleasantly warm for winter, but it clashes with the fancier purple attire. "What'd he do?" Sam wonders. He's seen recently just how cutthroat this capitalism business can get.

Grepha has known for much longer, and remains idly uninterested in the topic. Not to say she isn't listening.

The Morning

Though he's still waking up, Sam belatedly bows a few seconds after hearing the Duke's name. "It's an honor, lord - Duke," he says sleepily, uncertain whether to use the formal title or not. Rubbing his eyes, he suppresses a yawn through his teeth. Thinking back on their party's past, recent experiences, Sam glances at Grok and then back at Duke Eltan. Was he Skie's father? Sam remembers him being less rugged. "How quiet is infiltrate?" he asks.

20. - Top - End - #1070

GreenSorcererElf

Grok
    Dwarf Paladin 8
    SR 2/2, Conditions:

Properly dressed, Grok is still a little annoyed by the abrupt ambush of the Flaming Fists, but even he recognizes Duke Eltan, one of the leaders of Baldur's Gate, and he remains respectfully silent through his explanation. And Leaf and Sam's responses. "Duke Eltan, I am confident that we can assault the headquarters, but infiltration is a higher challenge. Their building is designed to prevent such an approach. Would you be able to provide knowledge of another entrance? Or is something that will inevitably turn into an assault acceptable, so long as evidence is found?"

Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Titan in the Playground

Show

"Preyed on the young and naive, especially women." Suldil's answer suggests she has no desire to go into more detail. "It's not an unusual tale, it won't be the last of such sorts, but it's never a pleasant one. I'd take Tiamat cultists over such things, at least their cruelty serves a higher purpose, even if it's a grossly misguided one."

The Party, Present Day

"The Flaming Fist will disavow you and the Iron Throne has made it quite clear they want none of our enforcers on their property, regardless of the situation. As long as you don't bring the building down, anything you do in there is between you and them, however you go about it. Try not to leave a trail of corpses, if you can." Duke Eltan says, ignoring any surprised expressions you offer at such leeway. "The building sees visitors at most hours come to do business and trade. If you disguise yourself it wouldn't be impossible to pretend to be some merchants from Cormyr or Neverwinter or the like come to talk business, though how you fare after getting in the front door is your own business. We are aware that many of the current leaders of the Iron Throne are absent on business, meaning that security should be lighter than normal. Outside of the front door and roof access we are aware of no other entrances you can use."

"We are offering no material support. Scar tells me you have the ability to get things done, so I expect you to prove it. This conversation never took place, unless you succeed, at which point you will be rewarded on completion of the mission - whether that's in gold, magic, or favours - as you choose."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

22. - Top - End - #1072

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha

The Night Before

With a cringing expression, Sam feels a bit dirty wearing the cloak now - but its power is undeniable, he can feel it even without yet finishing a full attunement. So long as it's being used to better ends, maybe he could... absolve the cloak of whatever ill-omened aura it carries.

"The wealthy and powerful have greater means to indulge their vices, and some are darker than others," Grepha comments on the merchant's nature. After an idle examination of Suldil as if it could bring to light any such vices, she adds to Sam, "Your vice is risk. You are a gambler. Dangerous enough on its own, but I do not foresee being tempted to misuse the cloak to those ends."

"I guess," he responds noncommittally. His personal vices aren't what he fears, so much as his inherited ones. "Anyways, I should let you get back to your evening," putting on a friendly smile again, Sam stands and bows. "If you need help with anything, or find out anything about the Throne and the Crisis, just send for me. Or capital-S Send? I'm learning that's a really useful spell!"

The Morning

The whole deal is pretty shady. But it's mostly just being offered a reward to do what they were eventually going to do anyways...

"I don't really see a reason not to agree," Sam tells the party. "Knowing security is lighter right now is good to know, we don't want to blow the chance."

23. - Top - End - #1073
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 15 HP: 59/59
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    8 / 8 d8 HD
    Spell Slots- 4/4 1st, 3/3 2nd, 3/3 3rd, 2/2 4th
    2/2 Wildshape

"I'm all for it. We were planning on thwarting them anyway, and now we can do it with a little less worry about making a mess... though of course we will act with as much discretion as possible." Caelyn side eyed the noble who offered them this deal, hoping their reputation for chaos (and their thorough sacking of a mage's house just the day before) hadn't made a bad impression.
    The Bear is Back.

24. - Top - End - #1074

GreenSorcererElf

Grok
    Dwarf Paladin 8

Grok nods. "A chance to find evidence to prove who is behind the Iron Crisis, and a multitude of other sins? How could we say no?"

Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

25. - Top - End - #1075
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    AC: 19 HP: 56/56 (?)
    Spells: 1st: 4/4 2nd: 4/3 3rd: 3/3 4th: 2/2,
    Turn Undead: 2/2, Short Rests: 2/2 (+d8) Harness Divine Power 2/2, 2nd
    Conditions: Con reduced to 13 (?)

Senna frowns as she comes down the stairs. She had gotten rest, and was glad Ragefast was defeated by words not magic. She hears her siblings, friends and the commander out. Death follows our every step, I am afraid. What is your stance if we find evidence but have to defend ourselves in order to get it, or when we exfiltrate? she says without a flinch, sounding like an experienced spy rather than a young priest. Will you deny allegiance with us then? Throw us out for political gain? Arrest us with the Iron Throne, claiming the victory for the Flaming Fist?

I don't want to expect the worst from you, and I believe we have a common enemy here, Duke. But what outs can you offer us? You are the government officials of this city, and you rely on us to bring down a merchantile league, which means they are either more influential than you, the council is unable to act, or they simply have more power in YOUR dukedom. You took a lot of risk coming here yourself, to honor us, and we value your honesty. You care about this issue a lot.

I would really appreciate more info on the Iron Throne. Names of their higher echelons, business partners, whatever they venture in. It is not enough to disguise ourselves, we need a convincing identity. Truth be told, we would probably just need a few options to disguise Leaf and Sam. Us others are unremarkable enough to craft our own backstories. But if we can link ourselves to a powerful outside consortium, even better. But I only know of the Zhentarim, and I doubt that would be a friendly exchange.

26. - Top - End - #1076
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Leaf
    Tabaxi Rogue 8
    Conditions:
    Aergid
    Silver Dragon Wyrmling
    AC 17, HP DEAD /45
    Bite +6 1d10+4
    DEAD!!!!!

Leaf is disappointed at the lack of assistance, but understands their need for deniability.

"I think as long as the Flaming Fist isn't going to come after us on this, we'd like to help you. I appreciate you trusting us to do this."

Of course there is a chance we are being set up, but it isn't going to help to argue with the Duke. He likes the plans that have been presented so far, but thinks he'd be better at not being seen than at any type of deception.

"Perhaps Grepha and I could sneak in through a window. Then you only need to disguise Sam."

Show

Show
    Ragefest, wizard
    Abela, nymph
    Bounties

27. - Top - End - #1077
    Titan in the Playground

Show

"I will certainly keep you and your group in mind, should I need anything else. I wish you good fortune." A quiet bell summons the butler back, who politely escorts you out, and just like that - for now - your dealings come to an end.

The Party, Present Day

"Do you require a signed document saying you can kill people? You won't get it." Duke Eltan dismisses Senna's question with a wave. "I had thought my implications clear enough. If you need to kill to defend yourselves to complete the mission, so be it. Express restraint as you can, but that's it. Once it's done, you will be rewarded, as I said, in a way you wish. Prove yourselves useful, you will be treated accordingly. I do not discard useful people. If you want to claim credit, I could see you raised to nobility for your service to the city. If you want to keep your involvement quiet, the Fist will claim credit instead. I am not relying on you, I am using you, as I use every tool available to me to defend my city from people who would do us harm, whoever they may be. If you fail, I will use someone else. You earned my attention because Scar said you were capable, and I trust his judgement. That is all."

He delivers the words sternly, but passively. There is no insult intended, merely ensuring you understand the reality of your position in his eyes - tools. Useful ones, for now, and perhaps in the future as well, but he is a man entrusted to keep the peace for a city on the brink of war, and the realities of his job has worn down whatever pleasantries he once possessed to the blunt edge.

"Their upper leadership - Rieltar and Brunos - are out of the city, as I said. They trade in everything, but their focus is weapons. I would have expected you to know this already." He offers no more elaboration.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

28. - Top - End - #1078

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha

The Morning

Already quietly in thought, Sam has a hand resting on his chin as he tries to come up with plans to get inside. The little tidbit about raising to nobility catches his attention, his tail swiveling back and forth. That could be the key to getting control of the keep for the Glintrunners... if they are indeed still well. He may need to get Senna to Send to Miggs and check in.

"I do have an idea for an identity to get us in," he says, holding up a finger to Leaf and Senna. "We're gonna need a makeup artist. Do any of you know a good makeup artist in the city, like theater makeup?" he asks, looking around at the Duke and his Elites.

29. - Top - End - #1079

GreenSorcererElf

Grok
    Dwarf Paladin 8

In the wake of the Duke's response to Senna's question, Grok speaks again, his voice calm, and rumbling. "I think that is the information we required to consider this task. We will undertake it, but it will take discussion to plan an approach that isn't going to result in a major commotion. Unless there is something else you wish to ask of us, it might be best for us to leave and create that plan." His point made, Grok falls silent. Wasting the Duke's time by discussing a plan the Duke would have no involvement in and would likely prefer to not know in front of him would not improve their reward. Their only real option was to do this, for the alternative was to leave the city, and that was not acceptable. That would mean those responsible for the attack on his clan would be free to complete their plan, whatever it was, and that could not be allowed. A debt was owed, and he would collect it.

Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

30. - Top - End - #1080
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    AC: 19 HP: 56/56 (?)
    Spells: 1st: 4/4 2nd: 4/3 3rd: 3/3 4th: 2/2,
    Turn Undead: 2/2, Short Rests: 2/2 (+d8) Harness Divine Power 2/2, 2nd
    Conditions: Con reduced to 13 (?)

I would take insult in your words, but so far no one outside our home town has seen us as anything other than hindrances or tools, so your words are par for the course, Duke. Senna takes a small bow. More than nobility and riches, we need allies. If you can promise backing, I would gladly forfeit my part of the rewards to get some recognition. But let's not be hasty and discuss payment before the deed. Your words are understood loud and clear.

She takes another bow, this time deeper. As she rises, she adresses Sam with a grin. Remember Garrick? He told us he would be in the Gate with his troupe. He might be just the person with an eye for this.